[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bloodborne Campaign Ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 56

File: bloodborne.png (2MB, 1422x800px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne.png
2MB, 1422x800px
What kinda premise do you think would make a good campaign for the Bloodborne setting? Or something strongly based off it.
>>
You play a hunter, cleric, or scholar (wizard). Through a plot hook and terrible misfortune, you interact with a vileblood who is fleeing from an executioner. You are mistakenly identified as an ally to the vilebloods and are pursued by executioners. In trying to clear your name you glimpse something you shouldn't (probably Ebriatas being the source of the healing blood) but don't understand what you are looking at. The choir finds out and decides you cannot be allowed to live.

Old ones are not encoubterable. At most they communicate to you or to others around you through dreams/whispers in the dark.
>>
>>51741127
>Soulsborne campaign
When will people stop. This shit will never work. The games revolve around the feelings of loneliness and isolation, Miyazaki went to great lengths to limit communication between players to the absolute minimum. As soon as you have a "party", the setting is irreparably ruined.
>>
>>51741402
Hello newfriend, I see that you're annoyed about someone on /tg/ wanting to make "a campaign" about [RECENT MEDIA PROPERTY].

Your best course of action at this point is to close the thread without replying to me.
>>
>>51741402
When I invade in dark souls I generally run into a party of 3 or 4 people. I mean it seems to me like it is essentially DnD where your characters are mute at that point.
>>
>>51741127
Read some H.P. Lovecraft if you want to connect with the thematic elements that BB is based on. All of his works are public domain which is nice. As for flat out ideas, if I recall correctly the game doesn't interact a whole lot with byrgenwerth's fervent study into celestial elements. The majority of BB takes place after they had made irreversible discovery and the mistakes that stem from those discoveries. Maybe a campaign that highlights the dangers of seeking knowledge without caution. Maybe an individual or group interacts with byrgenwerth scholars who are reluctant to halt or slow their research.
>>
>>51741411
>waaah, people who point out why I'm retarded are just angry, I can't be a retard, my mum tells me I'm smart!

>51741418
>When I invade in dark souls I generally run into a party of 3 or 4 people
No you don't. This shit only happens is DS III, which is the worst souls game and one that Miyazaki was forced to make against his own preferences.
>>
>>51741402
I mean, he's just asking about the setting. Maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions about how much he plans to integrate souls-esque atmosphere into his attempt.
>>
>>51741471
>greentext about being retarded instead of just ignoring the post
>fucks up the next backlink

That's pretty funny, but you still seem annoyed that someone on /tg/ wants to make "a campaign" about [RECENT MEDIA PROPERTY].

You should just close the thread without replying to me.
>>
>>51741418
>where your characters are mute at that point.
So, 4e
>>
>>51741519
I guess your peanut brain overheated from writing two entire sentences and now you're just pasting your scribblings ad infinitum.
>>
>>51741127
In the setting playing as ordinary citizens trying to survive barricaded indoors on the night of the hunt could be good. I'd probably use 10 candles for it
>>
I'd recommend making up your own city/setting in the Bloodborne universe without making it Yarhnam itself. That way you can make up your own lore for that particular location to be hidden about the monster filled streets, and keep your players on the prowl for subtle clues and such to figure out what this location's roll in everything might be.
>>
OP here.

>>51741402
>The games revolve around the feelings of loneliness and isolation.

I know I can't run a conventional campaign that emulates the entire gameplay of Bloodborne since it's about playing a solitary murderhobo. But I still like the setting and feel of it so I want to recreate as much as I can.

This is purely about a campaign/setting and not about making a recreation of the Bloodborne mechanics in tabletop.
>>
>>51741127

Ehh, lorewise there's very little leeway.. Most obvious option was blood ministration, whether to cure the plague and not turn into a beast, or to just enter the dream and try to become a hunter for the sake of hunting.

Outside of that...i guess eldritch experiments? Failed cult ritual opened a gate, you all get sucked in? Shared dream?

Or the dream bubble containing Yharnam gets torn open and the beasts run off into the waking world. That could work too.
>>
>>51741471
>newest game gets called the worst

Truly a surprise
>>
>>51743033
There are people who honestly think DS2 is better than DS1. Some people are just truly incomprehensible.
>>
>>51743133
There are also people that obsess over which game is the best instead of fucking playing them
>>
>>51741554
I see you're still in this thread that you don't like, getting annoyed about things.

Really, you should just close this thread without replying to me.
>>
>>51741402

I don't think this is entirely true, you just need to be more specific about what you're aiming for.

Can you capture the entire soulsborne experience in a tabletop? Of course not, because one of the things the series does best is make excellent use of its medium.

However, its perfectly possible to imagine an RPG using certain elements of it, even if just the setting.

Before Yharnham completely fell, for example, I can see a game about a group of Church Hunters slaying beasts while struggling against becoming them being a compelling concept, or just taking the abstract ideas Bloodborne involves and using them as the backdrop of a dark fantasy RPG.

But OPs question is a bit too general to be useful, they need to narrow down the specific elements they'd want to capture.
>>
>>51741471

DS3 has the best gameplay in the series. I think DS1 is still a better game, but have you tried going back to DS1/2? It's hard after how smooth and responsive everything is in DS3.
>>
>>51741127
Monsters are roaming the streets at night, slaughtering all in their path. And you are bloody sick of the noise so you put on your coat, pick up your trusty sword-cane and give them what for.
>>
>>51741379
>Ebritas
>source of the old blood
At least get the lore right ffs
>>
Bloodborne obsessive here.

The game gives little in the way for expansion in anyway, it's very much a standalone story with a set progression of events. There's nothing you can change that won't mess up something else, but I've got a few small ideas for maybe one shots?

It's clear to us that between the founding of the Healing Church and when the Good Hunter wakes up in Yharnam, there's been a considerable span of years, the best guess is a few hundred, since the Church Pick weapon refers to the weapon being mentioned in 'old beast hunting tales'. This shit has passed into the folklore of the people, it has been a long time and is normalized in people's daily lives. Taking this into consideration, there's no end to the personal adventures of beast hunts over the years you could tell, ones where only a few people turned in the city, maybe a lot of people went bad at once, maybe hunting down a rogue vicar turning into a Cleric Beast, before they escape into the streets and cause havoc. Characters could be veteran Church Hunters or conscripts called to hunt. All localized in the labyrinthine streets of Central Yharnam and the Cathedral Ward.

Another could be Church Hunters trying to survive the Blood Moon. The streets are crawling with beasts and other monsters and you're on a ticking clock until you pop. I don't know what the story would be, though.

Byrgenwerth adventures in the Pthumerian Labyrinths, you could be one of the first hunters scoping out the tunnels as bodyguards to Byrgenwrrth scholars. You could even play later Church Tomb Prospectors, too. Looking for blood samples, things to examine, study, experiment with, you could see all kinds of stuff down there.

You could try and play the fall of Old Yharnam, when the Blood Moon came down the first time and the city was left to burn and rot. Hunters or even civilians trying to escape and fight for survival and the place runs red with blood and people are turning to beasts all around you.
>>
>>51741402
>he does not engage in jolly co-operation
>>
>>51741127
>Bloodborne setting
I'd not use the actual setting, change some things so your players can't just look up the lore and secrets...
>>
>>51743451
I don't want to reiterate what is already all over the internet, but: DS3 suffers badly from its confusion whether or not it wants to be Dark Souls or Bloodborne. And the multiplayer is just terrible, not even the fanboys defend it.
>have you tried going back to DS1/2?
I still put DS on from time to time, it doesn't age. Actually, it's DS3 which is hard to go back to.
>>
>>51743133
>There are people who honestly think DS2 is better than DS1
These are the people playing for PvP.
>>
>>51744038
Since this has basically become a Dark Souls/Bloodborne thread: I'm currently going through Dark Souls 2. Are the DLC areas supposed to be such a spike in difficulty? What's the ideal order of doing them?
>>
>>51744079

The DLC areas are hard, but if you do them when you're meant to (After you've entered Vendricks dream) they're level appropriate. I tend to go in release order, Sunken, Old Iron and Ivory.
>>
>>51744007

Can you explain this a bit? Because I never actually heard it. My experience of DS3 was that it felt like a much truer successor to DS1 than DS2 did in its mechanics, but also brought forward the quality of life measures like the not annoying as fuck jump button, and weapon arts are just a delight.
>>
>>51744079
They are, and they're more difficult for sorcs too since just about every single boss is resistant to magic. I had to respec just to do damage to some bosses, fucking joke.
>>
>>51744156
I never beat the blue Smelter as a sorcerer. Fuck this shit. This is an insult.
>>
>>51744124
>My experience of DS3 was that it felt like a much truer successor to DS1 than DS2
If you've only ever played DS1 as a dex build in balder armour and with DWGR, then perhaps. Otherwise no. Heavy builds are not viable because no poise. Magic is not viable because it's pure shit. The only way you've never read these complaints before is if you've never read anything about DS3 on the internet at all.
>weapon arts are just a delight
Weapon arts are useless.
>>
>>51744502

I've played through every game primarily as a Paladin, big heavy armour, shield and a variety of one handed weapons plus miracle support. I never really noticed it being a problem in DS3? And while I haven't looked deep into it, I've been involved a few discussions where this didn't come up.

From what I understand it's not that poise doesn't exist, but that now it does something very different?
>>
I've consider the ideas of making a Bloodborne styled campaign myself. So, what angle are you trying to work it?

More Gothic or Cosmic horror? Fighting against the Church conspiracies or the corruptions of the blood?

Personally, i'd like to play a character Similar to Simon. A Commoner hunter that became a spy for the church, and learned too much. Now the Choir wants him dead. The Vilebloods want his information by any means necessary, While an unidentified Old one whispers to him to "Keep going."
>>
I could see a modified Don't Rest Your Head working as a super light basis for Bloodborne.

Exhaustion is your stamina and fatigue. Keep drawing upon it harder and you risk serious injury or death.

Insanity is your Beasthood or Insight. It lets you do incredible things, but the more you draw on it the more you risk losing yourself to it, of becoming the very thing you hunt.

Then again, DRYH is perfectly structured for the kind of high powered self destruction story that IMO the background of Bloodborne is ripe for.
>>
Would you limit your players to existing trick weapons, or let them create their own?
>>
>>51748142

The latter, absolutely. What's the point in playing a Bloodborne game and not coming up with your own ridiculous awesome weapons?
>>
>>51744079
Old Iron is probably the hardest area in the game.>>51744113
>>
>>51744551
It does something so minimal it's essentially non-existent.

Also, as someone who also preferred to play paladin type characters, I don't see how you wouldn't have noticed how much weaker miracles are than they were in the previous two games.
>>
>>51748168
I think the problem with players making their own Trick Weapons is 'Where do you draw the line?'. I mean, stuff like Saw Cleavers and Kirkhammer's are simple enough, but then you get to the body-infesting parasites and magical wheels.
>>
>>51748346

I say go whole hog. Why the fuck not?
>>
What kind of trick weapon would you create?
>>
>>51748550
I'm not terribly creative. so I'd likely steal an idea from someplace...

...fortunately I am very good at idea theft.
>>
>>51741127
The easiest route is probably taking inspiration from old gothic tales and baroque storytelling.

>>51741402
>>51741471
>>51741554
I wish we had mandatory tripcodes like pol, so we can just hide posts from people who don't contribute to discussion.
>>
>>51748940
>>
File: 1482630852536.jpg (82KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
1482630852536.jpg
82KB, 1024x640px
>>51748955
>>
File: acs-cane-sword-ideas.jpg (91KB, 1260x640px) Image search: [Google]
acs-cane-sword-ideas.jpg
91KB, 1260x640px
>>51748994
>>
>>51743620
Old blood =/= healing blood. It seems to be pretty strongly implied that Ebrietas is the source of the blood that fucked everybody up and started the plague. Her location in the upper reaches of the choir/healing church suggests they obviously knew about her and it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to assume that the 'miraculous blood ministration healing' was due to transfusions of old one blood. Ebrietas being the only old one the church seems to have readily available, it makes sense that she's the source of the healing blood.
>>
File: 1481012229093.jpg (66KB, 1024x552px) Image search: [Google]
1481012229093.jpg
66KB, 1024x552px
>>51749017
>>
File: 1481011877379.jpg (68KB, 1024x552px) Image search: [Google]
1481011877379.jpg
68KB, 1024x552px
>>51749034
>>
File: 1481011782522.jpg (98KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
1481011782522.jpg
98KB, 1024x640px
>>51749048
>>
>>51749022

In the japanese translated lore, the Bloodletter Beast in the Chalice Translations is accurately translated to something like 'Source of the Blood'.
>>
File: 1481011631582.jpg (153KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1481011631582.jpg
153KB, 1024x683px
>>51749067
>>
>>51741127
I'm working on a campaign right now set just prior to the burning of Old Yharnam.

The Bloodborne analysis by redgrave was really helpful in giving me a concrete jumping off point.

Bloodborne itself is kind of an ode to gothic horror, so that's where I would start if you wanted to make a custom setting
>>
>>51749093
>>
>>51749092
Also, all the Blood that's good is that way because it's got the touch of Oedon right?
>>
>>51749034
>>51749048
I like both of these because they're relatively simple. Too many fan weapons go full magical or involve really outlandish transformations.
>>
File: tumblr_o74ofl9d9D1u8e6r9o4_1280.jpg (130KB, 761x1049px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o74ofl9d9D1u8e6r9o4_1280.jpg
130KB, 761x1049px
>>51749098
or lovecraftian horror. thats where I started my Bloodbrew before the project stagnated...

>>51749137
I know right?
trick weapons are best when simple...
>>
>>51749180
>>
>>51749180
>or lovecraftian horror. thats where I started my Bloodbrew before the project stagnated...
I mean, a good chunk of lovecrafts stuff is gothic horror, but that's just splitting hairs.

The point is: gore and monsters, with the plot twist that man was the monster all along.
>>
>>51741402
You must be great at parties.
>>
>>51749203
>with the plot twist that man was the monster all along.
I managed to pull a reverse on that in my setting

>>51741127
another important thing
bloodborne is NOT STEAMPUNK
>>
>>51741127
Honestly? Pretty much the same way you'd play a Dark Souls or Castlevania campaign: you're in the fucked up world that is (X); fight, survival, struggle and see if you can make it.

But seriously, now; I think Bloodborne, from what little I know of it, is practically tailor-made for a dark fantasy setting. It can be as deep or as shallow as you want, whether you want to explore the twisting depths where "because I had to" starts to ring hollow in light of your own mutating flesh or simply hack and slash your way through the Beasts of the Old Blood.

Really, the hardest part with something like this is picking a system you wanna run it in and then converting or creating any creatures, spells, feats, etc you need to make it feel like playing the game.

On a random topic, do either of this songs fit this thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eSrmSsz7mQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHZVBv6mdFU
>>
>>51749260
>I managed to pull a reverse on that in my setting
I don't get it, but I'm a little slow. Wouldn't the reverse of man=monster be monster=man? I think I read a Goosebumps book like that once.
>>
File: bloodbrew.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
bloodbrew.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51749285
same way Lovecraft did it in At the Mountains of Madness

the monsters MADE man

in setting, a colony of ancient aliens establishes itself on the planet. the "gods" of the setting were an anarchic splinter group dedicated to fucking about. THEY made man, along with most of the monsters. game starts just after the splinter group dies of old age and just as the alien tech is reactivating and waking the rest of the aliens back up...
>>
>>51741127
I would likely start off the campaign focused on the hunt and the church. I'd save the cosmic horror stuff for way later. The PCs might either be hunters or visitors, but the hunt has started. The PCs will have to fight men and beasts. Along the way, they may learn some things about the church that might be unsavory (highest ranking members have beastblood, beasthood was started by the church, the hunt is meant to kill opponents of the church and beasts alike, the church has been corrupted by an outside source, etc). Or, the church might be going through a power struggle between some factions (or might just be a cliched cult).

It has been a while since I've played BB so I would likely do a bunch of things that contradict the game's lore. Even if I was more familiar with it, I'd probably ignore most of the lore anyway because I want to run a gothic-horror themed game. I would recommend changing all proper nouns to make the connections less obvious.

I'd likely ditch the Hunter's Dream as well in favor of a different location that acts as a hub for the PCs, similar to Majula in DaS2. There could be different NPCs that assist with repairs or selling items, and don't require the PCs to go to some altered realm.

Other sources for inspiration:
>Castlevania series (vampire warlock antagonist, giant castle with a bunch of traps and horrors)
>Grandia 2 (storyline involves an individual who must collect all parts of the game's devil so she can be killed by the church. Provides a cliched "good guys are actually evil" plot,)
>Innistrad setting of MTG. (The story may not be the greatest, but throwing in more zombies, werewolves, and vampires would be something I would do).
>>
>>51749351
Eh, kind of overdesigned for my tastes but what do I know. My project is for Pathfinder so it's not like I'm making good decisions.
>>
>>51749448
>My project is for Pathfinder
at least you have a system.

I made all of that fluff and I had no system to play it with so it's just a setting document.
>>
>>51749469
Speaking of, where does blood factor into your setting?
>>
>>51749499
mine didn't have a blood related thing. there was a shared corruption component but it wasn't in blood. keyed radiation combined with the fact that lots of different animal groups are essentially Shoggoths with a hereditary habit of being a certain configuration. exposure to some energies causes changes in shape or capabilities of animals.

I only called it bloodbrew because I made it after alternating between binge reading Lovecraft and binge playing bloodbourne
>>
bump
>>
File: 1486259370758.jpg (78KB, 473x501px) Image search: [Google]
1486259370758.jpg
78KB, 473x501px
Who would be the best person to enlist in your party and why is it Ludwig the Holy Blade?

>Can tank the beasts
>Has a rad space sword
>Paladin as fuck
>Can pull himself back from the brink even after becoming a beast to fight and die as a warrior
>Did nothing wrong
>>
>>51749111
That's better than some designs that actually are in the games.
>>
>>51749117
"Good blood" is just church propaganda.

All the blood is tainted. The taint just depends on the source.
>>
>>51752725
He had too much faith. Blind faith leads to beasthood.
>>
>>51748940
These are a bit too fantastical.

I could see the elbow blade working though.
>>
>>
Just an idea if you're planning on GMing, but what if you did what Bloodborne did with its whole preview and marketing campaign and completely hide all of the Eldritch Space Horror behind Classic Monster Horror.

Have your players think its going to a victorian styled game about hunting werewolves and fighting monsters and have it slowly transform into a nightmarish journey through dreamscapes and battles with nightmarish warping entities.

Personally I recommend having a hidden insight stat for each player in the GM notes, so one player getting strange and off putting information due to their insight makes players worry.
>>
also, change some things so the players get confused if they try and metagame
>>
>>51749577
>bloodbourne
Ha

>>51749469
Personally, I'd go with the PbtA system. And my decision has nothing to do with Arianna! None at all!
>>
>>51754941
>PbtA system
not familiar with that.

why that system?
>>
>>51754974
Powered by the Apocalypse

it's a game engine with a ton of games based on it

pretty popular at the minute so a lot of people are making systems using it
>>
>>51754974
Powered by the Apocalypse is lighter system where the GM reacts to the players actions. It's the source of the Dungeon World rpg. With that in mind, this can stray from the idea you'd want for your ideal bloodborne game.
Thing is, there is a book called Monster of the Week that is described as "An action-horror role playing game about a group of monster hunters", which I think fits pretty well.
It would probably need some tweaking of course.
>>
>>51755343
Monster of the week is very much more aimed towards a Scooby-Doo or Slasher Flick kind of feel though, which I don't think quite gets bloodbornes horde of enemies guarding giant monsters.

I'm not sure what system would really work for it, since its difficult to get the speed and frantic action of bloodborne, though I can think of some general non-system-related ideas.

>Player turns have a 1 minute or 30 second timer, depending on the severity of the situation. They've got to think fast and think on their feet in combat, or they get Gascoigne'd.
>The GM keeps a hidden Insight stat for each player, and gives them possibly conflicting perception check information depending on it. This works best if done in Roll20 or something similar, where you can whisper it to them.
Players have a pretty low health total, but a nice amount of quick breaks in between tough areas.
>The GM completely hides the inevitable ELDRITCH REVEAL. They were expecting werewolves and frankensteins, they end up fighting star gods and traveling nightmares.
> Trick weapon stuff could be a bonus action during a turn, maybe with a cooldown or something. You can tack on a small extra hit to your attack via the transformation, but you can't retransform until a couple turns from now.
>>
To translate into an RPG and keep true to the TONE ( not the mechanics ) of BB/Souls
>Lethal resource based combat
As opposed to D&D every turn you roll 1d20+mods until something dies, you would be carefully managing a dice pool to insure you don't get killed while simultaneously using that pool to kill the beast while also making sure you have enough resources to retreat if necessary.

People seriously underestimate just how important the stamina system is for the gameplay and tone in Soulsborne. I want to strange morons who think they can just copypaste the lore while keeping a generic d20 system and have an accurate soulsborne system.
It makes me want to write up a homebrew myself.
>>
DIY: Blood can be used to conduct electricity.

Any (black) zappy enemies (Bloodletting Beast/Darkbeast Paarl tend to be black and blue and experimented upon (possibly by Iosefka).
This is contrast to the vicar beasts that are white and red, from either blood or fire.

Bloodletting and Vicar Amalia are also two characters that visibly metamorphosise during the game. All others are triggered out of sight.

If you'd make three characters I would suggest

>immortal headless hamster
>birdman becomes death
>hammerguy is a one-eyed snake
>>
>>51755830

Yeah. It needs to be fast but crunchy, needs to simulate stamina well.

I've been working on a Dungeon Crawling card game that has a sort of Dice Pool that you end up spending to roll your attacks and actions, and spending dice outside of your turn for reactive actions like dodging and such, and I realized it simulates the feel of Souls combat somewhat. I might end up doing something similar as a Tabletop RPG system.
>>
>>51755973
>DIY: Blood can be used to conduct electricity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UosmKd1krWU

>>51755830
This anon has the best idea in the thread so far. A dice pool that needs to be managed for offense and defense.

The pool should be determined by a couple of the stats, I'd say the two highest combined, with the number in the tens column (stats range from <10(i.e. useless) to 99) is the number of dice in your pool and regenerate at a rate of 1/2 your highest stat rounded down dice per round.

Whomever succeeds the most on the role wins the round. maybe have a token hidden view under a cup indicating if the roll is for an attack or defense for an extra element of chance. Attack vs defense where the attacker wins inflicts damage and whatever else, while if the defender wins they negate the attack and maybe gain some kind of bonus (i.e. plus one success the next round or something else). If both rolls are attack the winner does extra damage and gains some kind of advantage next round. If both are defense then both regain their spent dice -1.
>>
>>51744124
>like the not annoying as fuck jump button
Fuck people like you man. How hard is it to tap a button to jump? Instead, now you need to hold forward on the joystick while running, then press in on the same joystick that is controlling your movement... pressing backwards while aiming forwards... which fucks up the precision of your jump if the joystick slips even a little. Jumping was never an issue in DS1. Tap a button. Jump. How is that hard?
>>
>>51756608

Clicking an analog stick is way, way easier than tapping a button you're already holding down to have to run. It's a vastly superior control solution.
>>
>>51756636
>Take finger off
>Tap button quickly
Never had any issues with this.

Clicking while tilting forwards can actually change the direction of your jump. You are pressing the control stick that controls the direction. It is objectively shitty.
>>
>>51756851

Never had that problem. Meanwhile, in DS1, no end of trouble. The button press not registering and just running off a cliff, or the sprint ending as I lift off my finger so I end up rolling off a cliff. I can't see how the new way isn't vastly more precise and manageable.
>>
>>51755830
Would something like song of swords work with some changes?
>>
>>51757143
Rather than not jumping when I want to ds1/bb's system has me jump when I'm trying to roll out of a run all the time.
>>
>>51741402

>The games revolve around the feelings of loneliness and isolation

Nope. Played a 4-man session of Bloodborne a couple of months back, and it was still a good setting with company. We'd take turns on the controller whenever we died, and it was a right laugh.
>>
>>51748550
Hard to say, i'd have trouble sticking to one idea
Whatever i made, it would definitely have some powder keg influence
>>
File: Standard skeleton comment.jpg (60KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Standard skeleton comment.jpg
60KB, 400x400px
Soulsborne, you say?
>>
File: 1469995211602.png (94KB, 500x2030px) Image search: [Google]
1469995211602.png
94KB, 500x2030px
Remember the most important part of any SoulsBorne game. The Waifus.
>>
>>51765091
I thought it was soul crushing despair.

>no Maiden in Black
>no Plain Doll
that comic omitted the best waifus
>>
File: 1462135906695.jpg (318KB, 964x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1462135906695.jpg
318KB, 964x1020px
>>51765292

>Plain Doll
>Maiden in Black
>Best

Wrong.
>>
File: NITO.png (62KB, 297x173px) Image search: [Google]
NITO.png
62KB, 297x173px
>>51765292
>>51765369
>Any of those
Wrong.
>>
>>51765397
I was expecting Priscilla
>>
File: Rattling, I know.jpg (317KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rattling, I know.jpg
317KB, 1800x1200px
>>51765416
You're posting in the wrong neighborhood, buddy.
>>
>>51765448
>>
>>51761571
>if i completely ignore the way the creator of a piece of media intended for me to consume their piece of media i do not feel the same feelings as i would playing in the intended manner
stop the fucking presses, turns out that comic books are unreadable garbage because i always hold the book upside down.
>>
>>51741402
>Revolves around loneliness and isolation
>Has a co op mechanic that's usable even when offline
>Players leave messages to help each other
>Occasionally see phantoms of other players in your game
>You can hear other people ringing the bell in the parish
>Kindling bonfires gives other players an extra estus
>Meet friendly NPCs along the way
>They follow you along on your journey
>Many make themselves at home in the game hub
If anything it has a big theme of "being in this together." The main theme that Miyazaki tries to convey is greatness and beauty that has been lost, even Dark Souls 2 manages to convey that.
>>
File: Worldbuilding.jpg (410KB, 1296x2335px) Image search: [Google]
Worldbuilding.jpg
410KB, 1296x2335px
>>51765468
>>
File: 6TAXyda.jpg (89KB, 761x1049px) Image search: [Google]
6TAXyda.jpg
89KB, 761x1049px
>>51765468

Pelt it with arrows.
>>
>>51765536
anybody got that maneater mildred pic?
>>
File: 1440419568580.jpg (56KB, 496x700px) Image search: [Google]
1440419568580.jpg
56KB, 496x700px
>>51765570
I got you
>>
>>51765585
I was talking about the sassy one but thank you.
>>
>>51765585
Lets all be honest, Muffdiver Mildred is best girl.
>>
File: 1462836914410.jpg (153KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1462836914410.jpg
153KB, 707x1000px
>>51765604
What's that? Post more maneater?
>>
File: tumblr_m8g99nm57k1r4zp0p.png (122KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8g99nm57k1r4zp0p.png
122KB, 500x411px
>>51765604
Here ya go
>>
File: Child of Dragons.jpg (42KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
Child of Dragons.jpg
42KB, 266x400px
>>51765684
Emerald Herald will always be my true love
>>
>>51765693
Thank you
>>
>>51743133
>The combat mechanics are better in DS2
>>
>>51741127
Strongly based off of it works. The problems come in the way the setting and the mechanics and the medium are all blended and used together in fromsoft games.

It's arguable that you'd be able to create anything that matches the aesthetic, but if you're thinking of going for a setting wherein there exists a 1600-1700s London-like metropolis full of average people who go about their days blissfully unawares of the eldritch terrors that are among them, there are a lot of ways to approach it. Generally speaking, though, I'd recommend adjusting Call of Cthulhu to suit your needs.
>>
File: 1452746380114.jpg (144KB, 734x544px) Image search: [Google]
1452746380114.jpg
144KB, 734x544px
>mfw finding such a MAJESTIC thread

would you share your blood with your best friends anon?
>>
>>51767419
I think the genius (or at least a pretty cool twist) of Bloodborn is that at first it looks like a generic werewolf infection thing, then it turns out that nope, it's actually Cthulu and friends.
>>
>>51744079
I think you can do them after finishing the base game, since ds2 sends you back to Manila instead of launching you straight into ng+.
>>
File: 918d3b0c772adeea86606899cb9e1112.png (584KB, 1398x1114px) Image search: [Google]
918d3b0c772adeea86606899cb9e1112.png
584KB, 1398x1114px
>>51752725
Literally the best sword in fiction.
In my opinion.
>>
>>51767713
>not having LS-MOONLIGHT in there
>>
>>51765519
He explicitly said that he wanted the game to feel lonely in interviews. He never said he wanted to show "greatness and beauty that has been lost". What he did say is that he's a huge sucker for beautiful design and he personally nitpicks the most beautiful designs for his games.
>>
>>51765684
>Dark Soles
>>
>>51767468
That'd be it. It's a beautiful bait and switch.
>>
>>51765517

>playing with friends equates to reading a book upside down

This is why people think /tg/ is lonely.
>>
Loneliness and isolation is a theme that can be experienced in groups, it's just a matter of presentation.
>>
>>51771473
>>
>>51771639
There's plenty of examples that already exist, but if you want to insist that it can't be done then more power to you.
>>
>>51771723
Was going for this. You can have a tonne of people around and still feel isolated.
>>
>>51769878
Aren't you embarrassed when you strawman so hard or do you not realize what you are doing?
>>
>>51771768
Indeed, find something divicive in the PC group and pick away at it. It's all about alienating and insulating them from the rest of the world, which is an easy set up for Bloodborne.

Yharnam is already a backwards region compared to the rest of the world. We know that from lore, so already being there limits the scope to the city itself. Then being a hunter makes them automatically something other than human, which sets them apart from the majority of Yharnam. Finally, hunters are a secretive and murderous lot, so they won't be finding much in the way of comraderie from them.

Then all you have to do is find something that bothers the group and just pick away at it over and over. Slowly, but never stop.

Can they standseeing the day to day habits of a Yharnamite? How many times can they watch an alcoholic blood cocktails mixed out of a living keg? Will they ask themselves if Yharnam is really worth saving? The people are never grateful. At best they'll acknowledge that the hunters did their job, but usually they'll be fearful and angry.
>>
>>51765684
Who's the guy in black with Shiva?
>>
>>51767770

>He explicitly said that he wanted the game to feel lonely in interviews

Then either he fucked up, or you're giving a really bad account of his actual statements.

Do Souls games feel lonely at points? Sure. When it's just you against a vast, dangerous world, it can feel very isolated... But that's contrasted very keenly by the characters you meet along the way.

Fuck, Solaire completely destroys the sense of isolation when you meet him. A jovial, slightly crazy but generally awesome guy who has your back through most of the game. Jolly Cooperation, fighting alongside someone else to make the bleak world just a bit more manageable is a key part of the experience and has been from the start.
>>
>>51772132
And the fact you're able to summon at any time.
>>
>>51772061

Probably Shiva's bodyguard.
>>
If you want an O and S style battle, have a Cleric Beast who has a romantic interest, and have that paramour step up when the party comes knocking. Kill the love interest, Cleric Beast goes completely frenzied. Kill the Beast first, love interest likewise loses it and possibly transforms as well.
>>
>>51756608
It's a lot easier on PC.
>>
>>51772536

Even on PC, Souls games work so much better with a controller.
>>
File: 1435087572585.gif (1MB, 558x822px) Image search: [Google]
1435087572585.gif
1MB, 558x822px
>>
File: 1460046773377.png (593KB, 1119x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1460046773377.png
593KB, 1119x1071px
as thinking about running a small campaign here players were relatives of the Cainhurst bloodline returning to the duchy their family ruled up until executioners stormed their manor and killed their parents, burning half of the manor to the ground.

The players would be the heir to the duchy and a cousin who they had stayed with after the event.

They would have to deal with trying to reestablish their rule in an area that had little need of them, being governed in the mean time by a respected hunter, dealing with the 200+ year old great-great aunt who had stayed behind as a figurehead(and is a dream vampire) as well as a paganesque cult led by a powerful ex-hunter that worship a tree deep in the surrounding forest that is growing out of the not quite dead body of a great old one.

They'd be dealing with mistrust from the majority of the people in the area after the executioners tore through as well as the legacy of cruelty their family had in trying to stamp out the cult and the beast plague they are purposefully spreading, along with the machinations of their aunt and a few medicine women who are deep in the eldritch side of things.

Anyone have any ideas I can mix in or ways to refine these ideas?
>>
>>51775126
Is there a chance of the executioners coming back?
Will the players know how to use trick weapons and/or able to learn how to use them?
Are the cultists becoming something...other than man or beast?
Is logarius still on the roof?
>>
>>51771859

So lonely that your only company is shitposting at me on here?
>>
File: 1459877808678.jpg (506KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1459877808678.jpg
506KB, 3840x2160px
>>51775858
Weapons are something I'm still thinking about. Feels like they should have access to the Cainhurst weapons but their isn't much variety and where would they go from there? I'll probably give them access to normal weapons then have them find trick ones that fit their characters.

The executioners will definitely be coming back once they hear the heir is back as Logarious is gearing up for the big attack on Cainhurst. The players won't be involved in that though.

The cult on the other hand I'm angling to be a little different. While a few of the higher tier members will become eldritch most of the cult aim at becoming beasts with directives instilled in their subconscious through hypnotic rituals. They won't have their minds but will have goals beyond killing anything around them, which I hope will throw the players for a loop.

The main eldritch stuff so far will come into play when they try to figure out the deeper aspects of the cult through the medicine women in the forest and aunty, where they'll discover that their family really is quite monstrous. It'll also be popping in the area around the tree it all stems from and they'll see some eldritch stuff that is unaffiliated with the cult as well as the ways the cult has perverted the strange area over the decades since it was found.
>>
>>51765566
Such a bow could never be pulled back.

What do you think provides the actual propulsion for the arrow? I'll give you a hint: It's not the string.
>>
>>51741127
I'd take some Greedfall elements. There's a newly discovered island, the kingdom that knows very little about the old ones (at least publically) sends your imperialistic crew, when you get there you see straight up magic and shit, as well as a madness that grips the settlers, turning them on one another.
In reality, the native islanders have imprisoned an old one child, and hidden it under your settlement, which tries to call to it's mother each full moon. However, the natives also know ways to calm the old one child, so you have to decide if you'll free it and possibly go mad when the mother arrives, or work with the islanders to release it peacefully, but in exchange for losing the settlement. Good grey/grey morality options, as well as some cosmic madness.
>>
>>51752725
>Not Gehrman
>Has been doing this longer than literally anyone else
>Has the most ANIME weapon in the setting
>Moves at the speed of sound despite being an old man with a peg leg
>Doesn't need you to attack to score a parry
>Did literally nothing wrong
>Made 2d real
>>
File: tumblr_mh5qpd08uV1s371d4o1_500.jpg (56KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mh5qpd08uV1s371d4o1_500.jpg
56KB, 500x647px
>>51777172

Tell that to the guy who drew the image. Besides, it's not the most outlandish thing in the Soulsverse, and the crossbow is a different matter as well.
>>
File: 1460054101465.jpg (293KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1460054101465.jpg
293KB, 1200x1500px
>>51777266
Gehrmen is one of the best soulsborne characters.

Doll a cute.
>>
>>51777010
Well, what self respecting insane, wealthy hermit wouldn't have an excessively large collection of ornate, expensive weaponry just for the sake of having it?
>>
>>51748550
A saber of some sort
Its trick mode is that you sheath it and pull out A GUN
There would also be a regular gun that matches the one pulled out
So TWO GUNS
I'm trying to figure out how to make it so that you could also do two sabers
>>
>>51777266
Gehrman was a creepy old pedo who wanted to fuck Maria
>>
Remember that the MAIN aspect of the pre-Player hunters is that they are all irredeemably corrupted with the blood of elder beings. You need a mechanic in place that signifies they are slowly getting harder to control like a sanity meter that's affected by the amount of blood they spill/consume.
>>
>>51777777
I'm pretty sure that Maria also wanted to to fuck Gehrman, he was just a socially akward fuck who couldn't talk to women who weren't dolls
>>
Am I the only one who gave up on Orphan of Kos?
>>
>>51777938
Well you're wrong
She had no idea that he wanted to fuck her
>>
I've been working on my own Bloodborne style game for awhile now.

Basically a stealth game where the PCs are granted powers by sympathetic Great Ones after enduring a terrible trauma. However their powers cause madness, and they begin to see that the Great Ones have trapped the city in something of a loop. They have to conceal their mental illness from normies while they try to find a way out, all the while hunted by those who gave into their powers and turned into beasts.
>>
>>51777970

You gave up fighting the final boss? You were so close to the end! Did you fight Laurence?
>>
>>51778349
I've been wondering about good ways to do a stealth game in an rpg, what did you come up with?
>>
>>51778421
I also gave up on double tigers from Ivory King. Shit's not worth my frustration. Basically it's the fault of the game designers who didn't know when to stop and created fights which are tremendously not fun.
>>
>>51778448
My game is very heavily narrative focused but takes a lot of influence from Thief and Dishonored. It's worth noting this is more of a post-WWI setting than Bloodborne's faux-Victorian.

I found that offering very, very specific stealth mechanics slowed down the game to unacceptable levels. Instead use punishment/reward cycles to bait players into "good" behavior, AKA playing stealthy.

The biggest part of this is making combat lethal. The PCs might have powers to turn turn commoners into ash, summon swarms of devouring rats or transform into ferocious beasts, but they can still be killed in one bullet if they aren't careful. This dissuades them from engaging in combat unless they have specifically created situations in which they have the upper hand.

Second is creating clear and dangerous threats. Part of this is having the GM harshly punish exposure; pitchfork-wielding mobs gather very quickly and can force the PCs to flee back into the shadows. Meanwhile the PCs are hunted by other Marked individuals who have gone mad with power, becoming mythicized/superstitialized (I know these aren't words; I've been drinking) serial killers (think Spring-Heeled Jack the Ripper). Avoiding them gives the players incentive to be discreet.

Third, making a show of yourself gives the GM a resource called Heat, even if it was unintentional. When you fire a gun or make some other loud noise, use your powers where others can see, kill someone openly etc, the GM gains Heat that can be spent to escalate the conflict. Being discreet reduces Heat.

Fourth, players award XP to each other based on good RP, so if you do not engage in proper gameplay or shit it up for the rest of the group, you will be unable to advance. Because combat does not award XP, there is no express incentive to engage in it beyond what you gain narratively.

Is this making sense to people other than me?
>>
>>51778646
so less developing in depth stealth mechanics and more about creating clear mechanisms and consequences from breaking stealth, makes sense
>>
>>51778646
Ahh, I forgot to mention a big one: giving the players really clear information. This is something I learned from a GDCD talk comparing video and board games. Basically never pull the rug out from under the players with regards to the consequences of their actions. To use a cliche example: Never spring it on them that the bad guy was standing in front of an orphanage so when they miss the shot they shoot an orphan in the head. On a success never say they shoot the villain and it richochets into the orphan's head.

Instead, carefully say, "He is standing in front of an orphanage." When the player says, "I'm going to roll to shoot him," ask, "Are you sure? You could hit an orphan if you miss." This is a hugely powerful dissuasion tool even if you don't actually change anything. Most players will not risk the situation spiraling out of control.

>>51778711
Yes. Exercise narrative control instead of mechanical control. Give information, consequences and imply escalation and most players will actively avoid confrontation.
>>
>>51778640

I'm fairly sure that 2kat is a multiplayer boss anyways. It was an optional boss anyways.
>>
>>51778811
>multiplayer boss
That's a bullshit concept because I don't summon out of principle and I'm sure many people are like me. And these people are screwed over.
>>
>>51778836

This was the problem with the co-op challenge areas in the DS2 DLC. They didn't really signpost that they were co-op areas very clearly, so a lot of people tried them solo and just found them frustrating and annoying.

I tried a couple of them with a group and they were actually very fun, but it was also very different from the traditional Souls experience.
>>
>>51778646
>Is this making sense to people other than me
some sense yes.

I like the mechanic

>>51778762
>Exercise narrative control instead of mechanical control.
I tried that once, but my problem is that I escalate too hard when I improvise

>>51778836
>scours the grounds for summoning sign
>farms insight from CoOp to be certain of having help

>>51778860
>CoOp areas
I might have to invest in some DLC now
>>
>>51778860
>They didn't really signpost that they were co-op areas very clearly, so a lot of people tried them solo and just found them frustrating and annoying.
This wasn't the issue at all with the other two DLC's. I killed the gank squad and the magic Smelter effortlessly, they were actually easier than the proper singleplayer bosses from their respective DLC's.
>>
>>51778884

If you're going to get through DS2 (It's not terrible but it's noticeably worse than the other games), playing with the DLC/Scholar of the First Sin is a must. The Scholar updates improve it a lot, and the DLC areas are the best in the game.
>>
>>51778884
>I escalate too hard when I improvise
You just have to learn a little bit of subtlety. Players are generally cautious creatures, trained on years of being fucked over by powertripping GMs in 3.PF. If you so much as imply escalation many will beat feet.
>>
>>51778939
>Players are generally cautious creatures
not mine, because that was the first attempt that any of us had made at playing RPGs...it fostered a balls-out attitude that has proven to be a huge stumbling block to later attempts to try more structured games.

>>51778910
I actually pre-ordered DS2, I just stopped playing because I couldn't figure out how to progress(and now I don't even remember where that is either...)
>>
>>51748550
A spear that turns into a three-section staff, like Ken from Persona 4 Arena's
>>
bump
>>
File: thisishell.png (1MB, 1075x697px) Image search: [Google]
thisishell.png
1MB, 1075x697px
bump
>>
>>51741402

Some people feel the most alone when in the company others sempai
>>
>>51767713
That Demon's Souls right there. That is my jam. Take you metal swords and get out the way greatsword lightsaber of moonlight comeing through.
>>
File: A Machine For Pigs.png (826KB, 1226x1567px) Image search: [Google]
A Machine For Pigs.png
826KB, 1226x1567px
bump
>>
File: 49548393_p0_master1200.jpg (318KB, 480x679px) Image search: [Google]
49548393_p0_master1200.jpg
318KB, 480x679px
>>51785082
Why you bump?
>>
File: 3Doll.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
3Doll.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
Any possible adventures that could involve the doll as a PC?
>>
>>51785501
Play her as Data from Star Trek. Basically embarked in a journey of self-discovery.
Thing is, was the doll actually functional outside of the Dream?
>>
>>51785684
The eyes on the doll you find in the real world move but that tends to get chalked up to the model.
>>
>>51785470
sleep tight dollie
>>
>>51785833
One of the fingers also moves
>>
File: 1460085982226.jpg (172KB, 1260x497px) Image search: [Google]
1460085982226.jpg
172KB, 1260x497px
>>51777515
I was thinking more that they would get them from the old local hunters who are now too old to engage in the hunt. By fetching an heirloom ones sibling lost when they disappeared in the woods, collecting rare and strange things from the woods for a natural philosopher staying a the Lodge (kind of a tavern made by hunters for hunters) or dealing with a large bear like beast that'll be the first boss. Or they could just loot them from the few cultist and mad hunters there are I suppose.

I think I'll have the aunt at the manor have a few weapons that the players may want later int he game, family heirlooms or ones left by the executioners when they pulled out.
>>
>>51786173
I think the idea of getting them from old local Hunters too old to hunt is not a good idea unless there is a story behind. To put it in perspective, the Hunters should either die or go mad, leaving retired Hunters to be either cripples or cowards.
>>
>>51785082

Opens with a claim that pigs are scared into shitting themselves (which doesn't happen) and closes with a claim that excess meat is "licked" off of the bones (instead of blasted with a high-pressure jet). Shame they felt the need to lie on a Cambodian wicker-weaving forum.
>>
>>51786349
Yeah most of the remaining experienced hunters are gonna be cripples or cowards. Many died when the executioners stormed through the area as they were loyal to the Duke, many more have been targeted by the cult since then.

There's one who's slowing going mad because the cult is actively fucking with him to get at the cistern below his house. His growing paranoia has led to altercation with others and, during the game, a possible murder he committed.

Another they find having hung herself and they can discover that the nails on one hand are thick and clawlike.. Her house had been locked up for sometime and everyone else was fine with it as she had been hoarding supplies. There would be a journal talking about someone contacting her, knowing what she as going through.

Another, a tanner, will go quite mad one night and skin several people. The players will fight her while she wears her victims hides, snarling and roaring while still being mostly human.

Another is the towns lovable oaf. A massive brute who suffered a head injury on the hunt in his youth. He turns into a rather large beast at a trigger point I've yet to decide while complaining about the lights in his eyes.
>>
>>51780991
>TFW no stitched together horrors combining beasts and people and all the other monsters into randomized chimeras.
>>
File: 1451750156174.jpg (132KB, 842x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451750156174.jpg
132KB, 842x720px
>>51767461
Only with my enemies.
>>
>>51786471
probably because it makes for an interesting story

>>51787604
honestly Archibald is an odd character, he's pretty much one of two named characters who we never either meet or find out about their final fate somewhere in the game, him and Runesmith Caryll

Archibald I theorize disappears from the lore because he became a founding member of the School of Mensis(maybe even it's first headmaster) due to not only Dark Beast Paarl's proximity to The Unseen Village(and it dropping the badge needed to buy both the Tontritus and Bolt Paper), but also because two of the Mensis Hunters you fight use the weapons/tools he designed(and those weapons being found for your own usage in The Unseen Village), similarly I theorize that most of the Powder Kegs that survived the Burning of Old Yharnam and didn't get sucked into the Hunter's Nightmare in their madness(and not counting Djura or his Ally) also ended up joining the School of Mensis and became the first Hunters for that group, since many Mensis Hunters use Powder Keg weapons

as for Caryll, hard to say what exactly happened to him, but one thing I realized is that he's a very likely candidate for being the Unnamed Scholar of Byrgenwerth who brought the Forbidden Blood to Cainhurst, especially when you realize that a surprisingly large amount of Caryll's Runes are associated with Cainhurst
>>
bump
>>
Song of Swords has a Not-Bloodborne supplement. Download the LaTex version in the mega ( >>51771641 ), check out Unkindlies under Magic. They even statted out the Kirkhammer
>>
>>51796269
did they ever fix the issues regarding uneven combat?(as in 1 player versus more than one other creature)

that was the issue last time I checked out the system?
>>
Bumps all over the thread.
>>
File: 1452110166433.jpg (264KB, 639x800px) Image search: [Google]
1452110166433.jpg
264KB, 639x800px
The final bump.
>>
File: StormyYharnam.jpg (54KB, 437x640px) Image search: [Google]
StormyYharnam.jpg
54KB, 437x640px
Hey, I've been wanting to run something in a Bloodborne-y vein recently, and I wanted to run my ideas by y'all.

>Party are a series of travelers coming into Not-Yharnam for various reasons, only to find the city empty and overcast when they get there.
>The city is in the middle of a hunt, only no one from the outside has ever heard of anything like it.
>Each player as part of character creation gives a reason for why they were coming anywhere near here in the first place.
>Play it as complete survival horror with a bunch of terrified travelers running around a city as people explode into beasts.
>As Insight builds, the storm above gets closer and heavier.
> The monsters aren't wolf based at all. They're all fish and sharks and sea life instead, culminating in frankenstinian monstrosities made from the madmen of Not-Yharnam fusing together the corpses of eldritch beings and mortal flesh.
>LIGHTNING HUNTERS
>>
>>51793152

This is why it goes Bloodborne > DS1 > DS2 > DS3
>>
>>51801056
Sorta blood born of innsmouth?
>>
>>51801056

Too much like Bloodborne. You need to look at Silent Hill in comparison to Bloodborne and see how both have the same premise (a location trapped in a nightmarish plane with monsters because of a powerful being), and make an Innsmouth version as unique as SH is to BB.
>>
>>51801056
>>51801343
Honestly I wanted less Eldritch Dreamscape fuckery, fun as that is, and more mad science meets Innsmouth.

That said, the Silent Hill comparison actually gives me a much better idea, involving the character's motivations for coming to the city. Have them all be available, and have each "path" be tailored around being extra nightmarish for that character. This isn't necessarily Silent Hill style nightmare manifestation for all of them but more along the lines of a combination of
>This character's backstory has them seeking medical aid for an incurable disease.
and
>This character's player I know fucking hates spiders.
So cue the level filled with crawling multi-limbed things made of surgical equipment and mutated flesh, as the descend deep into the hospital to try and recover a cure.

I'd like to try and make it very open ended, in the style of something like mega man's boss select. The players can pick any goal to start, and do them in any order, but each finished one brings the Storm closer and the danger higher.
>>
What would the best system to run Bloodborne? I would think something simple like AFMBE would be good without getting into GURPS or FATE. Perhaps Savage Worlds
>>
>>51801056
>The monsters aren't wolf based at all. They're all fish and sharks and sea life instead, culminating in frankenstinian monstrosities made from the madmen of Not-Yharnam fusing together the corpses of eldritch beings and mortal flesh.
Ehm, have you played the DLC?
>>
>>51801749
I'm afraid you'll be forced to homebrew to represent the ridiculously high stakes and power levels. All the systems I know are designed to be balanced and accommodate a party of characters. Soulsborne games are balanced against the player and deigned for going in alone.
>>
>>51801761
Yup. That was part of the reason why I wanted to run it. I thought of how cool it would be to have that concept expanded to the whole goddamn ocean instead of just a few fish and sharks, and then add frankenstinian mad science on top of that.

>That moment when Gascoigne transforms and suddenly there's 300 lbs of Dragonfish covered in teeth on top of you.
>>
>>51801785
Not exactly. The games regularly have groups of people doing thigs, its just hat the MC is special & so has access to god-tier power. But to play people with just a bit of supernatural edge it could work
>>
>>51802314
>MC is scrub
>summons help for the boss
>helper a gesture
>killed by the first attack
That's Bloodborne multiplayer in a nutshell.
>>
>>51801749
Song of Swords.

>>51796269
The dice pool system is even pretty similar to stamina. That and the Unkindlies (under Magic) are Totally Not Hunters With The Old Blood And Risk of Beasthood.

>>51797062
I think so? Check the LaTex version in the mega. The one they advertised on the website is an older version
>>
>>51801749
Nechronica.
PCs equipment is all weird machinery and body mutations, Horrors are beasts, Savants are hunters, there's already a sanity system, Fragments of Memory can be used to tell the DEEPEST LORE, and combat is high-stakes hack and slash with Action Points for stamina.
>>
>>51801749
GURPS can do it.

Song of Swords or another game with an action point/dicepool system.
>>
>>51802798
Is that the weird doll RPG with the really uncomfortable artwork?
>>
>>51804600
It's the zombie girl RPG
>>
File: comic05.jpg (113KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
comic05.jpg
113KB, 600x848px
>>51804648
I thought they were zombie cybrogs?
>>
>>51741127
Soulsborne gameplay-wise do not translate well into RPG settings. HOWEVER, the settings themselves do translate very well. All three of the soulsborne universes have phenomenally designed worlds, that's more of the reason why people want to run campaigns in the setting of Dark Souls or Bloodborne, not because they're trying to actually emulate the game in a tabletop setting. Yharnam, Lothric, Drangleic, Lordran, and Boletaria would all be really fun to run games in. Obviously, the way the games have been designed it would be incredibly difficult or impossible to truly emulate it in a tabletop setting, especially the entirety of the way the atmosphere of the game, but the genius worldbuilding is still there. A game set in Yharnam could be set during a fictionalized hunt sometime before the events of Bloodborne, where a party would make much more sense, having the players be a smaller workshop of hunters, or a small party of hunters from various backgrounds. You don't have to include the eldritch stuff even, just the beast hunting, since it would be much more difficult to emulate the closer we get to the actual game it self. Same with Dark Souls, the game would have to be set in the midst of the Age of Fire, not at a point where the fire is fading, or alternatively you could have it be during a fading some point in between the games, where the players are just one of many of the Lords of Cinder throughout history, and its a bit more minor, allowing you to come up with a whole slew of unique locations and ideas, potentially having it be located to a large population area, or have the player travel between the various locations referenced but not visited, such as Catarina, the Great Swamp, Astora, etc.

Soulsborne games are always set when the world is ending. Have it set when the world isn't ending instead.
>>
>>51804808
>Soulsborne gameplay-wise do not translate well into RPG settings.

Song of Swords has gameplay that's actually pretty similar with how the Combat Pool system is similar to Stamina. Or how weapon reach is important in melee.

>All three of the soulsborne universes have phenomenally designed worlds, that's more of the reason why people want to run campaigns in the setting of Dark Souls or Bloodborne

This I kind of disagree with. All of the stories are centered around being a solitary murderhobo with little NPC interaction so it's not easy to translate the vidya campaigns into tabletop campaigns. Bloodborne at least also leaves a lot of setting details vague and fuzzy, like attaching dates to the timeline.
>>
>>51804859
>All of the stories are centered around being a solitary murderhobo
DUDE READ FOR CONTENT
he said Universes.
he does not mean the actual stories of the games
the SETTINGS are FANTASTIC
>>
>>51804859
Just because you set a game in the dark souls universe doesn't mean it has to play like dark souls. The universes are interesting, and the vagueness of the worlds are actually really beneficial to both the players and the DM. By having a world with only some mild knowledge, you can arrange it as you see fit. We don't know what exactly Catarina is like, but we're given a lot of detail on the general idea of what it's like. This allows the player to insert their own ideas and concepts onto their character, without having the issue of being brought out of the world because the backstory you gave your character keeps being contradicted. What makes up the world is whatever you want it to be. We get to make many of the decisions about the world so that we can enjoy it to the fullest. By having time and a lot of the details detached outside of small details, we can make the world whatever we want. Does Yharnam have a harbor? It does if you want it to. Catarina could be a city, or a town. Does the Great Swamp have towns or settlements, or is it just a bunch of people scattered around living alone? It's up to you to decide.

That's why it makes a good RPG setting. The story itself may not be the best for tabletop campaigns, but the settings themselves most definitely are.
>>
>>51741127
Something I've wanted, and been trying to do, is create a setting that is basically a more classical fantasy setting, but with added Bloodborne/Darksouls elements.

I would love to see a setting with elves and Dwarves alongside humanity, but with the same eldritch creatures invading that world. How would the long-lived Elves handle learning of these things? Would they start making places such as the School of Mensis for themselves, trying in their hubris to understand or even contact these things?
What strange creatures would the Dwarves have found after digging too deep in a Soulsborne game, and would it have killed them, or caused them to worship it in a parasitic fashion, slowly driving the Dwarf Holds mad?
And where would that leave the goblin hordes, or the Treants?

I think there's a lot of missed opportunity here.
>>
>>51805483
Dark Souls kind of did races, however the way they did it was interesting. Catarina and Dwarves, Astora and Elves, things like that. They may not be as explicit, but its still there.
>>
File: crying cat.jpg (11KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
crying cat.jpg
11KB, 261x192px
>>51777336
>tfw will never lose humanity physically and mentally due to becoming an eldritch being
>>
File: gavlan omegle.jpg (81KB, 735x412px) Image search: [Google]
gavlan omegle.jpg
81KB, 735x412px
>>51805678
>Catarina and Dwarves, Astora and Elves
That's just completely wrong.

>>51805483
Dark Souls II has dwarves. The coolest character in the game is a dwarf.
>>
>>51805744
gavlan feel
>>
File: pear.jpg (24KB, 251x327px) Image search: [Google]
pear.jpg
24KB, 251x327px
I played Bloodborne from start to end on a friends PS4 and loved it. Is Demon Souls and/or Dark Souls on the PS3 worth it?Do they even have working online anymore, is it dead?
>>
>>51777336
>>51805732
>On the other hand, you now have tentacles, so the Doll didn't get an entirely bad deal...
>>
>>51805867
Dark Souls and Demon Souls are worth playing. Online is dead, obviously.

I'd say you're better off getting a PS4 for Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3. Bloodborne will teach you how to git gud.

Also PvP shouldn't be necessarily the main draw.
>>
>>51805869
[muffled ayylmao in the distance]
>>
File: [Laughter Stops].png (331KB, 600x431px) Image search: [Google]
[Laughter Stops].png
331KB, 600x431px
>>51805891
>I'd say you're better off getting a PS4
Problem is the budget, can't afford both the /tg/ hobbies and a PS4 at the same time
>>
bump
>>
>>51749196
Nioh does this. Nioh is great.
>>
>>51810635
watching some playthrough of that.

I like bloodbourne more but demons souls less
>>
>>51811130
Thread posts: 233
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.