[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you love most about your favorite traditional games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

What do you love most about your favorite traditional games?
>>
>>51722897
The rare moments where someone's in-game actions actually move the other players at the table to genuine emotion really get me. All at once everything falls into place, everyone's entirely in character, and you can just feel the situation like you were really there for that one brief moment.

I'd slog though a thousand That Guys and Those Groups for a single minute of that feeling again, and I can only hope I can show that feeling to other people when I play with them.
>>
5e came out at just the right time. If it wasn't for it coming out when it did, I would likely have just quit the hobby.
>>
>>51722897
For Warhammer, it's the sheer amount of shit you can do in the games. 40k has space elves, Xenomorphs that read Starship Troopers, space Mongolians, orcs in fighter planes, massive tank battles and all sorts of crazy bullshit. Fantasy had treepeople, lizardpeople, rat people with fucking doom bells that could crack castle walls open with a toll, badass elves on dragons in silvery armor, a bunch of Germans with guns and steamtanks and shit, dwarves with gunlines and goofy grudgeholding that goes above and beyond, ogres and gnoblars, knight goblins with mushroom sorcery and squig riders, and French Arthurian knights that travel the world on their quest for the Grail.

The grimderp and ugliness of the setting and models turned me off from Warhammer (40k and fantasy) when I was 13 or so when I found it, but something about the way Fantasy looked kept bringing me back. The beautiful bright green grass fields and trees they used for scenery looked realistic, unlike what I was used to in video games and such, but it wasn't boring like trains or other models. There was something about it that reminded me of old-school fantasy, but a flexibility that made it adapt to modern sensibilities without a hitch. By the time Warhammer Online (flawed as it may have been) came out, and I visited the Old World as a dwarf ironbreaker for the first time and saw the old mountains and hills and stonework, I knew I'd found something I'd love forever.

There's plenty I could say about 40k that is similar, but the crux of it is that there's so much to the worlds of Warhammer. So much color and depth, darkness of tone and lightness of heart, cool as shit characters and feats and shit so goofy I still go into gigglefits about it after all these years. You can do whatever you want in Warhammer, and you make it all yourself.
>>
File: EQ.jpg (691KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EQ.jpg
691KB, 1920x1080px
>>51722995
Pic related is what I mean't by "old-school fantasy". I know it's EverQuest, something I never really got into, but the picture is perfect and I couldn't think of anything else off the top of my head. The colors are bright, the mountains and hills are white, the grass is a vibrant green, and the characters there all have a sort of realism to their textures. The armor (or lack-there-of) and weapons may not be practicle, but it looks like something that you could potentially make yourself.
>>
>>51723076
>grass
make that "trees". evidently I couldn't get grass off the mind.
>>
File: Red 5.png (42KB, 252x266px) Image search: [Google]
Red 5.png
42KB, 252x266px
>>51722897
Not being me for a while
>>
It's probably the most mentally-stimulating way to hang out with my friends.
>>
I like OSR because it has led to very good DIY content, and it is based on a game with a very clear goal with sensible mechanics to attain that goal.
>>
>>51722897
Wargaming in particular I love the social & hobby aspects.
I loose a lot of the games I play and although I don't mind that, it means that playing isn't the main attraction for me. For me it's the aspect of going out and meeting new people. When I've moved I'll find the local wargaming club and meet a whole new bunch of people and have fun with them, helping me to settle into the area. Painting also helps as an artistic and creative outlet for me as I can't draw and don't play music anymore.
>>
I like doing conversions. A lot. It's fun and challenging, and when I finish I can point to it with pride and say "I made that." Each mini is a labor of love, and when they are done I love them all the more for it.
>>
>>51722897
Cestree is cute. CUTE!
I want to hold Cestree against me!
>>
I like to write, but hate the slow process of "write-edit-publish-wait to get feedback-edit-wait to get feedback-edit-etc." and prefer just the quick and immediate responses of players to my ideas.
>>
I like to tinker with settings and mechanics. Probably why my favorite systems tend to be generic like D6 and Savage Worlds. It's also immensely satisfying to host a game for an evening and have fun hanging out with friends, it almost makes me feel like I'm worth something.
>>
>>51722897
Well, my favorite is probably D&D 4E. The roleplaying is fun and engaging, combat is varied and has a nice tactical bent to it. It's pretty balanced too, and there's less resorting to a bunch of magic to resolve problems. It's also the easiest version for me to DM, which I appreciate.
>>
Getting to be someone else with my friends.
>>
1. Friends
2. Creativity
3. Escapism
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.