[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

feelgood games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 26

File: goodfeels.jpg (85KB, 623x360px) Image search: [Google]
goodfeels.jpg
85KB, 623x360px
Why is it so rare to see a game that's just about enjoying life?
>>
File: Cy2XPPUXcAACD43.jpg (201KB, 904x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cy2XPPUXcAACD43.jpg
201KB, 904x1200px
>>51722128
Because humans crave conflict and challenge.

Enjoying life is boring.
>>
Probably cause it's difficult to do a story if everything's fine.
>>
>>51722128
Nine in ten writers have eighth grade syndrome and are obsessed with dark and miserable worlds emphasizing the evil in humanity.

That, and I guess slice of life doesn't interest people - it's not actiony enough, or edgy enough. And it's not 'realistic'. It's pure, fluffy, and innocent, and no one likes that anymore. Sadly.
>>
>>51722159
Now you gave me ideas for a game set in a generic slice-of-life setting, with characters solving mundane problems with utmost importance.
>>
What would I even DO in a feelgood game?
>>
>>51722173
Feel good, obviously.
>>
>>51722179
And how does one go about achieving this state?
>>
File: 1468652092340.jpg (100KB, 684x581px) Image search: [Google]
1468652092340.jpg
100KB, 684x581px
>>51722128
I can't GM that because I don't remember what that's like.
>>
>>51722187
I don't know ;_;
>>
>>51722179
I mostly play games for the things I can't do in real life, so I don't really see the point.
>>
>>51722172
I'd play it.

>>51722190
I know that feel so much...
>>
>>51722128
Because if I play someone who is suffering more than I am and they manage to achive happiness I can pretend that it is possible for me to do that as well.
>>
File: 151366.jpg (282KB, 450x641px) Image search: [Google]
151366.jpg
282KB, 450x641px
>>51722128
Do more research.
>>
File: Voyageurs - Ryuutama.jpg (134KB, 920x306px) Image search: [Google]
Voyageurs - Ryuutama.jpg
134KB, 920x306px
>>
>>51722227
>Why are they rare?
>Here's one, do more research.

You seem like a shit.
>>
>>51722172
Golden Sky stories? Possibly MAID.
>>
>>51722257
You seem like someone who doesn't do their research.
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>51722128
I already enjoy life in my boring real-world life, I don't need to play pretend to get that experience.
>>
>>51722297
Exactly. I get to do boring menial stuff with no conflict all day already, and I hate it. Why the fuck would I want to play a game about doing more boring menial stuff with no problems ever?
>>
>>51722313
What do you do? My job is highly demanding and full of conflict. It's nice to have a break from that.
>>
>>51722128
Well it's kinda...
Why do you need /a system/ to play some general feelgoodsy stuff? The whole point of it is to unbiasedly resolve the conflicts as necessary to progress the story.
>>
>>51722128
>le rural life is such bliss meme

If you've lived on the country by working the land you'll know exactly how ''''''''''''''enjoyable''''''''''''''''''' it is
>>
File: VeloCITY 13.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
VeloCITY 13.pdf
1B, 486x500px
You can play games that are about enjoying life and are relatively low-stakes while still having some amount of action and conflict.
>>
>>51722128
>>51722227
Is this the Animal Crossing of TTRPGs?
>>
>>51723952
Ryuutama is more like a low-impact Oregon Trail, all while the GM has a system-mandated dragonkin GMPC who silenty chronicles the party's story and even helps them out a little from time to time.
>>
>>51723952
Golden sky stories might be more on the mark for that.
>>
>>51722128
without the fear of death there is no reason to live at all

-my tzimisce bard
>>
>>51722159
You can have drama and conflict without going all the way to dark and miserable evil world.
>>
>>51722227
Im actually getting ready to run this, the first session the party are stuck delivering an offering to a local shrine. Only to be challenged to a drinking contest by a dragon if they win they get its favor, if it wins they gotta go steal one scale from the back of its elder brother.
>>
>>51725509
I would counter that without the need to fear death (i.e. without death) there would be far less of what makes efforts to improve life pointless.

Why war over territory when neither of you need as much space to exist? Why war over ideology when you can all just go away to where you'll never see each other, and it won't matter how long it takes? Why war over resources when there's enough for everyone because you don't have to consume them just to keep going? Why act on emotion and impulse at all when you have all the time you'll ever need to think things through?

Mortality is a disease.
>>
>ITT /tg/ is awfully edgy today.
>>
>>51724006
>low-impact
Don't underestimate how quickly the terrain can kill you in Ryuutama.

I've been on recieving end and it's not pretty.
>>
>>51722128
Ever played OneShot?
Do it, you'll love it.
>>
>>51722296
Not an argument. You're still a shit.
>>
>>51722159

It's not even that. It's the simple fact a story where nothing bad happens is boring. The basic structure of narrative requires the disruption of a status quo. Characters need bad things thrown against them because that's how they grow and change. This is doubly as important in an RPG where players are ostensibly there to confront and beat challenges. You know, the point of a game?

I know there are ways you can create some kind of conflict or obstacle in a "Feels Good" game like whether you want to buy one pumpkin or two. But I personally need some higher stakes to really get invested. The universe doesn't need to face imminent destruction but I should fee like I'm up against the wall at least a few times to really have fun.

You're living in a false dichotomy if you think "everything is horrible for everyone" and "everything is fine" are the only modes a story can take.
>>
File: GSS Group.png (2MB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
GSS Group.png
2MB, 1536x1152px
So I'm thinking about running Golden Sky Stories for my group, but pretty stumped regarding just what they should be doing. Backed the kickstarter way back when, have people interested finally, and... no idea for what sort of slice of life conflicts I should present them with. Any suggestions? Please?
>>
>>51731814
>Not an argument.
Neither are "you seem like shit" or "you're still a shit."
And why would his response need to be an argument?
>>
>>51732446
Help a kid catch the biggest, *coolest* cicadas so he can impress his older brother!
His older brother used to catch bugs with him all the time, but now he's doing other grown-up stuff...so you just have to show him how fun it is. Then he'll HAVE to spend time with him, right?
>>
>>51732648
Hmm, that does give me a few ideas. Thank you anon, will see how far I can run with that.
>>
>>51722128
Because people enjoy life differently.
My game of enjoying life would involve very real horrifying blood mists that you have to put electric fences up to keep away. Or some other bizzare and terrifying, but manageable, obstacle.
I like being at least a little scurred at least a few times a day.
>>
File: Magical Boy Businessman.jpg (85KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Boy Businessman.jpg
85KB, 600x600px
>>51731822

I think you're half right. A story needs CONFLICT, but not necessarily VIOLENCE. It is my hot opinion that a good story can have conflict without violence. Conflict is what allows a character to grow. They do not necessarily have to offer skulls to the blood god, but if the world or its inhabitants work to change a character. then this is conflict. How the character resolves it can be an interesting story in itself.
>>
File: fd2a5ecaec2ffb68657204bff82fe7c2.jpg (171KB, 729x1096px) Image search: [Google]
fd2a5ecaec2ffb68657204bff82fe7c2.jpg
171KB, 729x1096px
>>51732825

I don't think anyone's saying the story needs physical violence to be interesting. But the stakes should still be high enough to be interesting. Especially in a game.

Working up the courage to ask Jenny Oakenmoon to the Harvest Dance might work in a TV show or a book but I have no real interest in playing that out in a game.
>>
the way to make an rpg about everyday life work is you have to run it like a sitcom
>>
>>51722128
Because games need conflict and a substandard havest isn't all that exciting.....unless it's caused by GOBLIN WIZARDS!
>>
>>51733205
Or to alter your definition of "everyday life." See >>51723913.
>>
>>51732868
Thats cause thats just romance which you arent interested in.

But a entire game where you just play a sports team would run rather similar to what we already have.
>>
>>51722128
Life's already pretty pleasant and simple, roleplaying is for action and adventure!
>>
>>51722128
Sounds like you want MaidRPG. Or maybe that one "High-School Harem Comedy" homebrew RPG I remember from GitP more than a few years ago, but I think that might have gotten weirdly complex at some point.
>>
File: maja2.jpg (18KB, 250x170px) Image search: [Google]
maja2.jpg
18KB, 250x170px
>>51722173
Visit neighbours, CROPS, build a house, go fishing. Essentially stardew valley.

Anyway, isnt Ryuutama supposed to be a fluffy feel good kind of game?
>>
>>51723414
Some people hate how detached shit is in the city, so they get a sense of fulfillment from keeping flora and fauna alive until they can eat it or reap products from it. This isn't hard.
>>
>>51723414
>If you've lived on the country by working the land you'll know exactly how ''''''''''''''enjoyable''''''''''''''''''' it is
Well it is. It can be tiring and tedious as fuck, but it's also infinitely more rewarding to grow/build something and watch it exist than to do pointless office work.
>>
>>51732623

Not anon, but argument went:

>OP: sliceolife games are rare
>OP is fag, here is one example
>Anon is shit, one or two examples is rare, OP is correct
> You don't do research either
> not an argument

"You don't do research either" is a nonsequitur. Given a universal set of games, anon must show that many many more than one or two examples of sliceoflife games exist, to prove that OP is wrong and anon is not a shit
>>
I think one of the points is that it's hard to feel content at the little things in a game. Not so much because they are, in of themselves, boring. But rather because the emotions are nuanced and very hard to both portray, and more so to enjoy as roleplay.

It's easy to enjoy rolepaying a big heroic tale where you slay a thousand beasts. Because it's all so extreme. Because everything is happening at the same time, and it's adventurous and strange. If you get only a sliver of that excitement IRL you've done a good job both as a player and a DM.
With being content it doesn't work that way, contentness is less rushy and more prolonged. It's not a feeling you can get in a kick, but rather something that grows on you.
>>
File: schoolgirl.png (19KB, 638x825px) Image search: [Google]
schoolgirl.png
19KB, 638x825px
Not play the feel good game like this
>>
Wait, what?
Third anon here.

>>51722297
>I already enjoy life in my boring real-world life, I don't need to play pretend to get that experience.
>>51722313
>Exactly. I get to do boring menial stuff with no conflict all day already, and I hate it.
>Exactly, I already enjoy life, and I hate it.
Someone doesn't understand something. Is it me?
>>
File: 1474519157780.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1474519157780.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51739696
Why not bother posting it with the same effort...?
>>
File: Mamused.gif (443KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
Mamused.gif
443KB, 210x210px
Attention Anons:
Having a feel good system doesn't mean shit if you can't run an enjoyable game with it.

Post feel good campaign plots that don't suck.
>>
>>51732825 #
>A story needs CONFLICT, but not necessarily VIOLENCE.
This
Right again Shas

Whisper of the Heart is about an inquisitive young girl and a voracious reader who chases a large cat, befriends an eccentric antiques dealer, and writes her first novel while intending to find a mysterious boy who checked out all her library books before she did.
That's the entire story, but it's a compelling film.
The big conflict in the story is her pushing herself to write more seriously.
Which fits thematically with this thread.

>>51722128 (OP) #
>Why is it so rare to see a game that's just about enjoying life?
Enjoying life does not necessarily
generate or entail conflict.
Without conflict, there is no challenge.
Without challenge, there is no game.
Making a game about enjoying life while providing challenge is a difficult task for a very niche target audience.
>>
>>51722142
OP's pic is about Harvest Moon, a game where you need to tend to a ruined farm and turn it into a produtive one.
Its pretty hard, menial labour.
Even if the game presents an idealized version of it.
>>
>>51722159
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is the proof that slice of life can be amazing.
Its the day to day life of a robot running a coffee shop after the apocalipse.
While humanity did survive the apocalipse it was barely and now people just live their lives waiting for the end.
Its a peaceful sort of postapocaliptic where people just hang out and wait for the extinction of human race.
>>
>>51722128
As most of the thread is going on about, it's hard to have a game that's just about enjoying stuff if there's no conflict. If you want it to be comfy, it probably also needs some fun mechanics that make it go a little weird so that you have something to do.

I'm personally a fan of the concept of doing slice-of-life games where the stakes aren't necessarily high, or at least don't encompass a wide scope. I think the way that you balance this is to create a goal and a means of handling conflict on the way to the goal, and you just try to have fun in all of the space between.
You know, like if Yu-Gi-Oh GX didn't have magical elements.
>>
>>51736354
And that`s why is boring like hell.
>>
Slice of Life / peaceful/comfy enjoyment sessions are great, when included as an option and for variety in an otherwise "normal" game featuring struggle, conflict, etc.
A game about nothing but enjoying life is pretty boring, there has to be some source of drama or opposition to dig into or it just gets bland.

A game about being farmers or merchants just farming and trading and smoking a pipe in their hovel during downtime is boring.

A game about farmers defending their crops from magic beasts, plagues, dodging the king's tax collectors and staving off other jealous farmers or townsfolk from sabotaging their fields or household who want to see their production fail because they slept with their daughters might be interesting.
A game about merchants traveling through exotic and treacherous locales while trying to outmatch their rival's prices and beat them to market days, all while protecting their wares during travel and making the smartest moves possible to amass the most coin and avoid being robbed or eaten, swindled, or even just fall and die along the way, might be interesting.

Those are about as extreme as I would go towards "pure" slice of life as a campaign premise. As I said before, I much prefer a fairly "normal" campaign with drama, intrigue, and danger (as the game warrants it), and then just have pure slice of life episodes sprinkled throughout and allow the players the option to take those pure "comfy" breaks if they want to.

All comfy is boring, the same as all combat is boring, the same as all interpersonal social drama is boring, the same as all intrigue is boring. The best campaigns, IMHO, mix more than one and often all of these (and other stuff too), even if the 'focus' is usually on one or two of them at a time.
>>
>>51723913
Velocity is great
>>
>>51722128
They just don't sell as well OP.
>>
>>51735151

I always wanted to do like a WWE style RP game.

Where stats can determine how 'over' you are with the crowds, the more 'over' you are, the bigger and better matches you get. Higher risk moves if successful, are rewarded with crowd cheers meaning higher stake games. Bigger stunts do the same, but botches result in lasting injuries which if they pile on, lead to early retirement and also boo's which put you back on the list of main eventers.

The GM would also reward RP'ers for promo's and entrances to get the crowd pumped before the action. While having traits such as 'Manager', 'Tag-Partner' etc could result in people coming to save you if you're a 'Face' or people coming to help you cheat if you're a 'Heel' (Distracting the ref, using a hidden weapon etc).

Stats can determine how much the ref notices you, for example, if you're a higher up 'Face', the ref will pay more attention to you and will call out cheating behaviour, if you're lower, you'll be more likely to lose unfairly in matches.

I just think something like this could be a lot of fun.
>>
>>51722128
It's apparently somewhat popular in the japanese tabletop community.

The aforementioned Ryuutama, Golden Sky Stories, and MAID are examples.
>>
>>51722128
How about Adventures of the Gummi Bears RPG?
>>
>>51748057
What do you like about it?
>>
>>51742556
As someone who's living that life yes it is but you know what? I love every minute of it and I'd argue it can be a compelling series of stories in and of itself.
>>
>>51754973
It's a high-velocity game.
>>
>>51755430
WELL YEAH. It's kind of implied in the title.
>>
Can't really have a memento to life without it being sad, if you're not out enjoying life, what would you be doing in it?
Although...
>>
>>51732825
>>
>>51722128
I'd argue feelgood is less a system issue and more a GM/player mindset issue. Both parties have to be more willing to slow down and work on a smaller scale and roleplay more. Finding a GM and party that want to do such a thing is somewhat difficult.

Trying to run a Slice-of-life Edge of the Empire Game with my mates, I'm focusing more on a few locales and more session time spent on the players downtime.
>>
File: IMG_0044.jpg (42KB, 381x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0044.jpg
42KB, 381x500px
You need something to drive the characters. Doesn't have to involve violence. Just tending the farm and walking around becomes boring really quick. A simple task or quest is what makes everything much more exciting.

Travelling to an ancient monastery hidden in the mountains just to get medicine for the village elder or walking to the doctors office two blocks away to get medicine for the village elder. What sounds more fun?
>>
>>51722159
>slice of life doesn't interest people
Not true though, slice of life anime is among most popular anime genres. Also, western sitcoms and similar are extremely popular despite the fact nothing much happens usually.

As for games, I think it's more because games are interactive media where gameplay and challenge is important thing. Slice of life game wouldn't really work very well. As an RPG it might work out though, but likely wouldn't be very interesting. Note that even game in OP's picture has challenge and gameplay.
>>
>>51755464
Anon likes the blast processing
>>
>>51722128
I don't understand this. You don't get to slay dragons in real life, so if you need that fix the best you can do is a game of pretend. But if you just want to chill or enjoy simple pleasures, how the hell is real life not a more attractive option? It'd probably take less time to set up, too.
>>
>>51722128
People need/want conflict in their game that they feel invested in and it's harder to get invested in conflict that's less clear cut than life and death or dramatic tragedy. Especially in RPGs which have their roots in wargaming and adventure novels. Games that push the boundary of this are getting more common but they're mostly indie games and campaigns tend to become soap opera-ish drama for the sake of keeping people interested.
>>
>>51757789
I've seen few larps that were basically excuse to get drunk in period costumes while pretending to be old time gentlemen and just have fun, so I guess that could be called slice of life gaming.
>>
>>51740716
>Whisper of the Heart
My brother of enhanced melanin!
Also, don't forget how even though he's in practically no scenes, Baron is still the best
>>
>>51750495
Spoony did an entire episode about professional wrestling RPGs.
>>
Game about brutal survival:
1. Beginnings of challenge scenarios are obvious.
2. Victory (you win and enemy is dead) is obvious.
3. Defeat (you dead) is obvious.
4. Success reaps obvious rewards (you take their shit).
>>
>>51756686
depends how those 2 blocks are described, eh?
>>
>>51756686
How I do this?
>>
>>51722128
Why this pic look like old school Pokémon?
>>
>>51762100

Because it's old school Harvest Moon. Either for HM GBC, roughly the same time period, or HM: A Wonderful Life a few year later, can't recall for sure.
>>
File: WuzcL.jpg (259KB, 726x879px) Image search: [Google]
WuzcL.jpg
259KB, 726x879px
>>51762100
>>51762569
I couldn't find exact source aswell but it definitely is an older Harvest Moon game. And yes, it just might be period-piece association as Ken Sugimori never worked on Harvest Moon.
>>
>>51722128
Conflict makes for more interesting/easily written stories.

But there are still plenty of games being made about just enjoying a slice of life.
>>
>>51722313
Because a lot of slice of life games is being someone else. Starting a farm, meeting fantasy people, etc. Stuff most of us don't actually do in our normal lives.

Also I work 50+ hours a week in an ER, so having a happy little world to jump into and forget things is very therapeutic every now and then.
>>
>>51742556

The problem is that once you've done the hard stuff and have a productive farm, it's boring. How many people play harvest moon for a long time just amassing wealth and 'enjoying life'?
>>
File: 1438917051749.gif (44KB, 600x186px) Image search: [Google]
1438917051749.gif
44KB, 600x186px
>>51722172
>>
File: Half-Breed.jpg (710KB, 1378x1287px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Breed.jpg
710KB, 1378x1287px
>>51722172
Almost any slice of life anime would work.

Especially Okami-san and her Seven Companions. That shit is brilliant.

>We need to get funding for all the clubs!
>There's a big feud in school that is about to boil over
>Critical scheduling conflict between the Kendo and Baseball clubs
>Oh shit, its finals!
>>
Only depressed outcasts enjoy the slice of life genre.
Depressed outcasts rarely have friends to play a social hobby with.
>>
>>51767305
....Fenris?
>>
>>51767442
I find it more true the other way around. Outcast hate slice of live because it remembers them of how fucking lonely they are.
>>
>>51767995
Well I'm normal and find slice of life boring as fuck.
Let's say it's just a niche Genre nobody (meaning only a small group) likes.
>>
>>51768012
Maybe you aren't normal?
Now seriously, finding it boring and hating it are quiet different things.
Also I don't think it is so niche, sitcoms are just slice of life with humor, soap operas are dramatized slice of life, reality TV is slice of life, etc...
>>
>>51768012
>>51768071
I, as another anon, find well done slice of life fiction to be absolutely wonderful.
I even love episodes of tv shows that show how a minor character goes about their day behind the scenes, like Patton Oswalt picking out a lanyard on Agents of Shield.
It's great.

I HATE slice of life in a ttprg.
I play to DO things, preferably amazing things, heroic things, tragic things, or epic things, but definitely things.
I do not set time aside to play a game where I BE instead of DO.

I live a life.
If I want a slice of life I can take a walk and watch a squirrel run around for five minutes, I can make tea with fresh ginger and lemon, I can chart dustmotes as they path their way through a sunbeam, and I can be.
You know what I can't do?
Have glorious magical adventures, explore Spaceman Spiff hi-jinks, or revel in Captain Tightpants shit.
I come to game, damn it.

/rant
>>
>>51767995
>it remembers them
Where are you from?
It's been a while since I've heard this turn of phrase.
Here in burgerburgerland, we usually say "it reminds them".
>>
>>51768168
This
>>51768071
You can't easily compare tv with gaming. I hate fantasy movies because I can't connect with the characters doing fantastic things. I love playing fantasy games because I can design the character the way I like and do fantastic things any way I want.
And a boring game = a game I hate.
>>
>>51768188
Spain, and I'm not in my best form today. Maybe I'll stop posting for a while and keep working.
>>
>>51747564
This. I occasionally have almost pure roleplaying sessions after major campaign arcs or events or when it would make sense for the party to be back home or not at war or whatever, just to have them interact with one another or address minor things. And it matters a lot more because it contextualizes and contrasts the adventuring and conflicts. If all it is is SOL I can just go out and actually experience life instead. For example, why RP out some characters playing games together when I could just play an actual game with their players?
>>
>>51756686
Joke: The ancient monastery with mystical ancient wisdom bit. Once you're through describing the monk meditating in the corner and the dusty but respectfully maintained ancient halls of the whatever, what else do you have? It's nothing that one Indiana Jones movie didn't do way better than you.

Woke: Managing to make a walk down a few urban blocks interesting. This plays with expectations and offers a chance to genuinely surprise, especially if the trip isn't expected to be diverted, and of course in such a dense region you can offer just about anything - depending on what buildings are on that street the party can witness everything from a gang picking a fight or a scene or urban blight and poverty to a bank robbery or other such crime or a street pastor who seems to be ranting crazy nonsense until he suddenly rants something that seems eerily relevant to the party's objective or a street prostitute that may or may not be a succubus in disguise to a passing paladin mistaking a street prostitute for a succubus in disguise to a local politician speaking out about a relevant issue to a military recruitment center letting on that the local monarch seems to be planning on some kind of violent conflict...

I'm sorry, how can you possibly fucking call yourself a GM if you can't think of a way to make a walk in a city interesting without falling back on tired 1930s adventure serial cliche?
>>
File: Screen-Ryuutama.jpg (207KB, 937x492px) Image search: [Google]
Screen-Ryuutama.jpg
207KB, 937x492px
>Feelgood means boring slice of life where nothing happens

>Not traveling in search of best cooking ingredients, meeting and having over-the-top cook-offs with best adventuring chefs around the world
>Not crossing enormous magical forest, looking for a mysterious Forest Dragon, said to have accumulated millenias' worth of knowledge in his library
>Not helping an eccentric aging scientist to reach the legendary land of his dreams where mammoths still roam (yes, i know it's shamelessly stolen, that game was great.)
>Not diving into clear azure ocean searching for treasures of a civilization long gone, hoping to find the truth about its disappearance

Do you even comfy?
>>
File: ykk1[1].jpg (139KB, 754x551px) Image search: [Google]
ykk1[1].jpg
139KB, 754x551px
>>51736354
>>51747411
Ryuutama is closer to the Oregon trail. Also Black Ryuu is closer to YKK in feel, which if you have any interest in manga I heavily recommend you read.
>>
>>51762100
>>51762569
Pretty sure that's HM A Wonderful Life, and the brown haired girl is one of the love interests and the okay tier option. GOAT tier is Nami, and shit tier is muffy
>>
>>51768359
That doesnt make it less comfy(black dragon excluded) Its all about tone and vibe really.
>>
File: Muffy.png (88KB, 231x405px) Image search: [Google]
Muffy.png
88KB, 231x405px
>>51768396

I'm sorry, but your tastes seem a bit askew. It's obvious Muffy is the superior option!
>>
>>51768837
Shit taste
>>
File: MLP-product-shot-1.png (442KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
MLP-product-shot-1.png
442KB, 600x600px
This game comes out soon, might be good for feelgood adventures
>>
>>51768355
>>51768359

I want to run Ryuutama so badly. But then my grognardly ways run in, and I grump that it's basically the traveling portion from B/X D&D, and there's no real reason for me to do it since my group already plays B/X.

Then I am a sad grog. Which is dumb, I have no trouble running and enjoying other comfy games like Golden Sky Stories.
>>
>>51769721
I can't wait to add it to my collection of games I'll never get to play
>>
>>51770357
>I want to run Ryuutama so badly. But then my grognardly ways run in, and I grump that it's basically the traveling portion from B/X D&D, and there's no real reason for me to do it since my group already plays B/X.

Ryuutama's main advantage is that it's ridiculously light and easy to play.

If you are used to crunchier D&D, you can run D&D like Ryuutama. I mean, travel checks are easy to implement and environment being a bigger danger than monsters is an universal idea.

Related article : theangrygm.com/getting-there-is-half-the-fun/
>>
File: 23.jpg (66KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
66KB, 650x650px
>>51722128
>>
Are there any links to download Ryuutama and any translated add ons?
>>
>>51771687

>light

>Ryuutama

Here we go again.
>>
>>51774952
It is adjustable and self-adjusting from light to moderate crunch.
>>
>>51775122

Don't be an idiot, anon. A simple RPG is Vast, Starlit.

This is 200+ pages of rules.
>>
>>51775159
Don't be an idiot, anon. Page count is an incredily poor argument.
>>
>>51775197

It's the only possible argument (well, technically you should copy/paste the text and do the wordcount, but still). And you didn't come out with another measure of complexity because there is no one.

Don't be insecure, there is nothing wrong with playing complex games.
>>
>>51775290
Problems with page count: page size, images, layout, whitespace, font size, redundancy, word count
Problems with word count: writing style, non-rules text, redundancy
>>
>>51775290
You could set up a simple metric of "how many die rolls and number lookups are required to resolve [list of common RPG situations]"
>>
>>51775428

Check out my example, anon.

Why do you crave failure so much?

And no, Ryuutama has no fluff in the rules text.

>>51775539

>common RPG situations

There are no "common RPG situations".
>>
>>51775628
>There are no "common RPG situations".
What about "Your character wants to do a thing and it's not 100% obvious whether they should succeed or not"?
>>
>>51759609
Can you set up a two block walk that's entertaining for a group of players?
>>
>>51775159
Just because your metric of "simple" is a 2-page RPG that fits in your palm doesn't mean that every other RPG is complex. This is an idiotic metric.
>>
>>51775661

That's not a "situation". That's everything rules cover.

>>51776241

Yes, it is. If A is simpler than B, then B is complex.

It's worth mentioning, of course, that there are tons of RPGs on a single digit page count.
>>
>>51776813
>Yes, it is. If A is simpler than B, then B is complex.

>If strawberry red is redder than burgundy red , then burgundy red is blue.

Anon, you're being intentionally obtuse for the sake of argung. I'm not really in the mood for funposting, so i'm gonna go sleep. Someone else could pick up this silly conversation, i don't care.
>>
>>51722179
So i just sit there imagining I'm having a good time
>>
Physical conflict is easier for us to imagine and understand. Which is why most movies, TV, and popular books involve some kind of challenge or adventure that at least implies danger.

There are lots of films that just focus on quotidian struggles like the sweet ennui of breaking up with your lesbian lover. With rare exceptions, they play in small regional festivals and are quickly forgotten. The ones that break out usually have at least some kind of violent spectacle.

We're told this kind of story is "good for us" somehow because it's Serious Art, but for some reason, people throughout history have preferred to be entertained by dirty jokes, T&A, and horrific violence, some of which is later canonized as Great Art.
>>
>>51722128
Because we're in the era of Neo-Edge. If you don't think most current media is going to be as hilarious in hindsight as Linkin Park is now you're kidding yourself.
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.