[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crystalpunk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1471686953041.jpg (286KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471686953041.jpg
286KB, 1920x1080px
Science-fiction gadgets powered by magic crystals, yet holding an intense grounding in fantasy tropes (swords, sorcery, monsters and magic races).

Hi, I'm a giant piece of lard, and I want to know why there aren't enough systems boasting this type of setting. Because it's debatably and subject to personal opinion clearly the best setting.
>>
>>51713664
We may never know.
>>
File: 1486332306457.jpg (511KB, 1143x643px) Image search: [Google]
1486332306457.jpg
511KB, 1143x643px
I know magic crystals everywhere settings are kinda silly and used in a lot of bad games and shit, but god I love it.

Then again, I also collect real life gemstones, so I guess it's not surprising.
>>
>>51713664
That's more like science-fantasy then "punk" anything, as the "punk" part in steampunk and cyberpunk is actually part of the literary themes involved in the story and not part of the visual aesthetic, except to artists who don't actually read cyberpunk books or even listen to the content and context of cyberpunk media and instead focus on the pretty pictures.
>>
File: cryptomancercover.jpg (237KB, 687x1033px) Image search: [Google]
cryptomancercover.jpg
237KB, 687x1033px
>>51713664
>>51713729
Cryptomancer is _actually_ crystal-punk.

There's a fantasy internet in it that links people with crystals (called the shardnet) that both the players and the evil shady world government organization bent on holding up the status quo use.

I don't like the basic resolution mechanic much (although you can see how it iterates upon WoD games, and that's sorta interesting), but dang I'd play a game in it.
>>
Steven Universe
>>
>>51713729
>the "punk" part in steampunk... is actually part of the literary themes involved in the story
>he thinks steampunk is anything other than an aesthetic
>>
>>51713780
hopeful new setting ruined
>>
>>51713787
There was exactly ONE steampunk-themed book actually, The Difference Engine, written by none other then Gibson himself because the themes he alluded to in his cyberpunk books (rapidly changing technology leading to a decline of an entire class of lifestyle and the resultant crime and social trauma caused by social changes) had some pretty strong parallels with the late 19th century as his co-author Sterling pointed out to him.
Yes, steampunk is a visual aesthetic, but had it's origins in something that they didn't even bother making a movie out of and thus had no visual component at all.

It's rather like how the first RoboCop film is actually a scathing mockery of American corporate culture of the 1980's and almost blatantly deliberately insulting to both it's core audience AND the people paying for the film, but both the audience and the developers completely missed the message and instead just saw an ultraviolent superhero film; the actual content of the story is about one thing, but unfortunately the average viewer/reader apparently forgot to bring their ladder and it correspondingly went above their collective heads.
>>
>>51713664
You know what does this?
League of Legends.
I'm not even shitting around, their lore has hextech which is the sole basis of everything beyond swords.
And its a crystal based technology.
>>
>>51713916
>completely missing the point of a man brought back to life with science trying to make sense of the world and life he left behind
>not understanding that robocop's core concept is being a futuristic frankenstein's creation

fucking /lit/fags
>>
>>51713779
Will it be possible to rescue the setting into another game?
>>
>>51716215
It's not though. Robocop is explicitly about 80's corporate America, and the culture surrounding it.
>>
>>51716573
Robocop is about American Jesus though, director and lead actor said so.
>>
>>51716565
Yeah, easily. The shardnet mechanics are system neutral.
>>
>>51716573
My standard fantasy setting.
>>
>>51717131
These two statements are not mutually exclusive.

I'm implying American Jesus is an honest man, reborn as a human-robot abomination born from corporate greed
>>
>>51713664
You do realize the punk think is basically fuck the society and fuck the system kind of thing. It tells readers that the campaign is about giving the middle finger to the authorities in the setting.

If you want a fantasy setting based on crystals without all that baggage, just say that without punk.
>>
>>51720522
Sweet, i will have to look into this and see how can I run a game.
>>
>>51725358
Good luck. It has a very cool OSR feel to it, despite being thematically/mechanically very far.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.