[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Games General /bgg/ Light

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 49

File: board games2.jpg (563KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
board games2.jpg
563KB, 850x850px
Board Games General /bgg/ - Abstract and Filler Edition

Previous thread:
>>51660748

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What are your favorite abstract and filler games?

What have you played recently and how was it?

What are you currently backing on Kickstarter?

Which 2017 release are you most excited for?
>>
File: Imperial-Settlers-Japanese.jpg (264KB, 1024x583px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial-Settlers-Japanese.jpg
264KB, 1024x583px
> What are your favorite abstract and filler games?

Abstract: if Neuroshima: Hex counts - then that. If not chess.

> What have you played recently and how was it?
Got our shit collectively pushed in when playing Ghost Stories. Easiest setting but there were two new players so I decided not to show them full-retard tactics like shotgunning the sorcerer with the blue monk and resurecting him with the green one.

Then we played Imperial Settlers. I love that game. Played Japanese with two other people and barely won - had a disastrous first turn, no production buildings and one action building that gave wood. Second turn wasn't better and I only regained ballance after I got Mill (you gain 1 gold and one VP for each red building you build) in the fourth turn.

To be honest I still don't know how to play Japanese consistently - I just try to aim for high production and try to build as many buildings as possible with a couple of deals thrown along the way (especially if I got the feature card that gives VPs for deals)

> What are you currently backing on Kickstarter?
Nada. I don't believe in kickstarter.
>>
Anybody buying anything from the Target sale?
>>
File: 65375475.jpg (19KB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
65375475.jpg
19KB, 140x140px
>>51691083
You missed a question friendo.
>>
>>51691178
>>51691083
Even two

> [...] and filler games?

Welcome to the Dungeon. The only other filler game I like is Love Letter but at this point I think Love Letter is "solved" I don't get the quite same feeling with WttD where there's so many strategies you can go with.

> Which 2017 release are you most excited for?

To be honest - none. Should I be excited for something? The only area of games I feel I'm lacking at the moment are team vs team games.
>>
File: tumblr_o4qxa0n2BP1r6ec7zo1_500.jpg (16KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4qxa0n2BP1r6ec7zo1_500.jpg
16KB, 480x480px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/645536525/trumpocalypse-survival-kit-and-game
>>
>>51691220
>all these liberal faggot kickstarters bashing Trump
>every single one fails

Feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
>>51690959
>>What are your favorite abstract and filler games?
Love Letter and Indigo for filler, probably Blokus or Hive for abstract
>What have you played recently and how was it?
got Ticket to Ride USA out on the table yesterday for my non board game playing family, hoping to play more Roll for the Galaxy later today
>What are you currently backing on Kickstarter?
just Alien Frontiers
>Which 2017 release are you most excited for?
Yamatai since I love DoW so much
>>
TI4 when?
>>
>>51691220
>california

Of course.
>>
>>51691967
also
>’m Muslim, Mixed African and Arab, and Queer/Trans.
how do these people survive in the real world
>>
>>51690959
not sure if I should be asking this here, or in the wargame general, but I think wargame general is more focused on miniature games

my 3 POGerator buddies and I have been playing combat commander for a while now and we've found we're more partial to the tactical level of combat rather than operational and strategic or grand scale, and we want more. combat commander is solid, but it doesn't have the customization or openness we really want.

where should we start looking? we've glanced at ASL and a few others but we're not sure if it's worth the cash investment. era doesn't really matter to us, but we're all big fans of pike and shot, ww2 and modern conflicts.

bonus points if it can be played 2v2 and caters to history dweebs
>>
>>51691749
There's always shattered ascension.
>>
>>51692090
Got to recommend the shit out of Heroes of Normandie. Great tactical level customization, as much variety as you have dosh, reasonably simple rules that still leave room for lots of creative play and mind games. Only negatives are that the translations from the original French rules aren't quite perfect and it still uses dice for combat resolution.

One of the most fun point-buy squad building systems I've ever played with.
>>
File: marco polo.png (136KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
marco polo.png
136KB, 212x300px
Play this. You'll love it. Trust me.
>>
>>51692455
i would if i could find it for at least msrp
fuck paying 90 for a game lmao
>>
>>51692455
Better games that do what this attempts but much better and for the same price.
>>
File: 2NIaJZ0Q.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
2NIaJZ0Q.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>>51691220
back my game you shitlord
>>
>>51692030
They live in the USA and not in Saudi Arabia or Africa.
>>
>>51692030
welfare
>>
File: My Collection 2017-01-13.png (2MB, 1263x1533px) Image search: [Google]
My Collection 2017-01-13.png
2MB, 1263x1533px
>>51690959
>What are your favorite abstract and filler games?

Depends on who I'm gaming with - Blokus is my all-around favorite for demo-ing modern board games to those unfamiliar with what's out there now other than 'Monopoly or Risk'.

Blokus, Carcassonne, Roll for the Galaxy, Dark Moon, and all have been fun. (I have a bunch of gaming friends who are a blast in general. Been playing the Mutant 'Year Zero' RPG as well and having a lot of fun.) I'm hoping to get them into some heavier games like Robinson Crusoe, or Exodus.

The OGRE Minis KS. Looking forward to some 3D minis.

Hard to say - I've got a pretty well rounded collection at this point. Now it's a matter of adding new 'stand-out' games rather than simple more 'good' games. (That said I still have 25+ items in my 'wish list' of games.)
>>
>>51692896

hows android netrunner these days? worth a casual play?
>>
>>51692623
Such as?

inb4 Alien Frontiers
>>
>>51693360
I think casual is probably where the game shines the brightest. Absolutely recommend trying out the core set, it's got a lot of content, and you're not out much if the game turns out to be a bad match for you.
>>
>>51691220
>needs 50k for his boardgame, everything looks like garbage
>battlecon needed 30k, game is overloaded with goodies, half of which I do not even use/need, but am happy they are there.

Well how about that.
>>
File: game list.png (714KB, 1284x544px) Image search: [Google]
game list.png
714KB, 1284x544px
What's your favorite game anons? I'm trying to figure out what I want to buy myself for my birthday and suggestions are appreciated. I'm definitely interested in trying out one of the LLGs.

>inb4 munchkin
Wil Wheaton got me into the hobby and I used to think it was a good game
>>
>>51691220
Wow. I hate Trump as much as the next liberal, but this is just embarrassing.
>>
>>51693906
>being liberal
>being embarrassing
pick two
>>
>>51691220
>My name is Khadija. I’m Muslim, Mixed African and Arab, and Queer/Trans. On a slightly more serious note, I’m really tired of “safety” being discussed as something you get when you “bomb the ****” out of,” deport, or jail people like me.

Oh boy, this looks like a steaming pile of shit
>>
>>51691083
>got our shit collectively pushed in when playing Ghost Stories
I've been thinking about getting this game. What do you like/not like about it?
>>
>>51693778
I have to ask - what GO set did you buy? I'm looking for a 'nice' set - i.e. a nice one that won't bankrupt me. My collection is bigger (see >>51692896 ) but I still like to be thrifty where and when I can.
>>
>>51693713

ok, ill give it a go if i find it cheaper than it now is (its over 40 dollaroos in my country), are the expansions worth anything for casual playing?
>>
File: 1479303286603.jpg (96KB, 751x658px) Image search: [Google]
1479303286603.jpg
96KB, 751x658px
My gaming group is having a problem.
Im trying to start up a Talisman game on a regular basis, we all have a history with the game, and likes it well enough on its classical nature alone.
But thats not the issue, the issue is that, rusty as we are, it just takes for ever. Of the few games we have played, they more than often result in a drop-out, where the "winner" is the guy to give up last. All the while, the rest of us is drained from energy of a 6h+ gaming time. And while fun, as it is the journey and not the goal in itself thats all important, it would be fun to actually know if we are playing the game all wrong?

One of the main issues with my group is that we level up to slow. We go down in to some meaningless expansion board, round and round, and get up just about empty handed (or with a bit of luck some trinket or other crap that undoubtedly will be stolen at the first given opportunity!). Given we are quite a splintered group of guys (the hoarder-guy, the rules-nagger, the "friends with all" - guy and so on) is this the main issue? I was hoping to introduce this to other friends as well, but I'm afraid no one will have the patience for a half a day´s game!
>>
File: 81W9qFPTv8L._SX466_.jpg (44KB, 466x509px) Image search: [Google]
81W9qFPTv8L._SX466_.jpg
44KB, 466x509px
Hows this game?
Cheap, 20 something dollars.

I'm looking for something around that price-range, any recommendations?
>>
File: go board.jpg (20KB, 373x280px) Image search: [Google]
go board.jpg
20KB, 373x280px
>>51694259
It's not fantastic but my parents got it for me for chistmas a couple of years ago. I'm still garbage at it and I've never been able to find anyone to play with irl ;_;
>>
>>51694265
The expansions add a lot of options to the game, but there's no rush to grab anything in particular. Grab new stuff in whatever order strikes your fancy, really. The bigger expansions focus on specific factions, so if there's one style that appeals to you more than the others in the core set those might be worth looking at.
>>
>>51694218
> Like
Unforgiving
Really fun theme - it's basically Big Trouble In Little China: Tower Defense: The Board Game
Rewards risk minimization
Gorgeous artwork on the cards
> Dislike
The minis feel cheep as fuck
The game is too unforgiving and it feels like there's only one optimal tactic/algorithm that you need to exploit

All in all I like the game. Most of the time we don't even try to play it seriously and try to win it, instead we try to "con" the game (like instead of giving dice to the other player - rolling them if it's a good roll saying "well I rolled it for you - just leave it" we still loose)
>>
>>51694285
> Talisman run-time...

I'm a fan of the older 2nd Edition and have most of the expansions. That said - I'm guessing you're playing with a larger group. For all my love of Talisman for nostalgic reasons (played a lot of it in my 'college days' decades ago) it isn't a 'mechanically well designed' game and those issues become ever more apparent as the number of players increases. Between random die rolls for movement (which can screw a player) and the 'take-that' elements allowing players to attack other players (which can screw a player - Ohhh arena, how I hate thee...) the game simply has WAY TO MANY things that cause the game to drag on and on. I honestly wouldn't play it with more than 4 players, and even then the game can become tiresome depending on how the dice rolls play out.

Honestly, you would be far better served in asking yourself what elements about Talisman you / your group do like? (And then seeing if you can't find something that scratches the itch but does it with better mechanics.) For example:

If you like the 'Take That' elements with a Dungeon exploring theme - then take a look at 'Cutthroat Caverns'.

If you like the leveling up aspect - then take a look at the Dungeons & Dragons board games like 'Wrath of Ashardalon' (and others).

(If you like the idea of Sci-fi 'Dungeon Crawling' - then check out Gears of War, Level 7 Omega Protocol, and the new Doom game among many good offerings now out.)

You might also look at 'Lords of Waterdeep', Deus, Legands of Andor, etc.
>>
>>51694449
The set in your pic isn't bad. It isn't the 'Uber-traditional' set, but then it probably didn't cost of hundreds of $$$ either. As for lack of players, you might look and see if they have a Vassal mod for it, or check out places like 'Board Games Arena' and see if there's a mod for it there. You never know, you might find an online community for it.
>>
File: Neuroshima Hex.jpg (114KB, 441x500px) Image search: [Google]
Neuroshima Hex.jpg
114KB, 441x500px
>>51690959
> What rules are you currently trying to learn?

I'm working on pic related - Neuroshima Hex 3.0.
>>
>>51694737

Thanks for the reply. As I said, we don't mind the game at all, many people hate it due to the "lulz random!", but we as a group find it fun. Hell, even the games we played has been fun, even though they do drag on and on.

I red a tip on another forum regarding the issue and a poster mentioned most people play Talisman as an "adventure game", instead of the race- game its supposed to be.
Personally I think my group is one of those hoarder´s that never gets through because we are all searching for that last trinket to finish our set of gear, or that last trophy to turn in, and so on. Some of us are worse than others, but this really is an issue overall. Ad to this some of the expansions where the enemies are few, and the rewards granted at the end of the (sometimes hellish!) journey. Or expansions like the City, which doesn't really do much but give the player with enough gold an opportunity to buy stuff he otherwise would have found on the adventure map!

So next time I think we (or I at least) will try a different approach, know when my power is enough, and know if its really worth running down the expansions straight of the bat.
>>
File: campy creatures.jpg (2MB, 1212x1686px) Image search: [Google]
campy creatures.jpg
2MB, 1212x1686px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keymastergames/campy-creatures
>>
>>51695479
bruh you gotta be more subtle than that

you gotta say things like, "man, this ticks so many boxes for me I hope it's not complete shit"
>>
>>51695504
>giving advice to obviously paid shills so they can shit up the thread more efficiently
wew
e
w
>>
>>51695546
well he'll continue to do it for this game, so it'll still be easy to spot

and besides, we assume everyone posting kickstarter links is a shill anyway
>>
>>51695504
Why? I'm not saying "throw your money at them!" I'm just saying click on it and check it out. Maybe you'll like it I think it looks really cool and I've had a lot of fun playing with the PnP version.
>>
>>51694806
I'll check those out, thanks buddy!
>>
>>51695591
NO
>>
>>51695685
GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY! GIVE THEM YOUR MONTHLY ALLOWANCE!
>>
>>51691749
will be announced 5 min after I give in and buy everything TI3 related.
>>
>>51695591
a real non shill nigga would share the pnp version with us so we can check it out before giving up our hard earned shekels
>>
>>51694990
The problem is - if you have a larger number of player 5 - 6+ - even if you all go straight for the crown of command as soon as possible, the game may well still drag on. Even if everyone is playing attention to what is happening during other player's turns and is ready to go without delay on their own, there's just so many random elements that you can't defend against as a player. You can be part-way up the path to the crown and if someone gets their character to 'The Arena' in the middle ring they can pull you right back down to that location just to have to start the trek to the center all over again. Worse yet, there are ways to steal a Talisman from someone so it can be even more time consuming if everyone attacks each other in order to steal that first talisman. (Cutthroat talisman - where there is only one talisman card in play period - is even more brutal for this issue.) My group does play Talisman - but only on very rare occasions. It's a game where the dice are more in charge than the players.
>>
>>51695714
What you mean a link to the pnp stuff or MY pnp?
>>
>>51695591
the fact that you're now defending yourself rather than just continuing to anonymously talk about the positives of the game really does prove you're a worthless piece of shit, shill or not.

plus like >>51695714 said, if you wanted us to give a shit you would've made us give a shit instead of just trying to get clicks on your ks page

this isn't redditt
>>
>>51695479
>>51695504
>bruh you gotta be more subtle than that

Really. If Anon *loves* the game so much that they can't even be bothered to write a couple of sentences about why they like and what they think is good about, why would I waste my time?

tl:dr - lazy KS linkage = zero interest / zero fucks given.
>>
>>51695479
i'm trying to figure out why you chose to post that picture when the art is so ugly. it has a retro feel but looks like it was made digitally which is not only a stupid fucking idea it looks cheap
>>
>>51695817
>>51695790
I think the artwork looks great and a picture is worth a thousand words. What do you want me to say? That it's a fun game with a cute monster theme? You play monster cards and capture victims to gain points, or lose points if it didn't go your way.
>>
>>51694861
is it the same as 1st edition ? but different art?

also do expansions work on 1st edition ?
>>
>>51695479
But why? I can just play king of Tokyo/new York instead, and the simplicity makes it a great introductory game.
>>
>abstract
Santorini
Quantum
Raptor
The Duke
Onitama

>filler
Most of the above qualify as filler, also
BANG! The Dice Game
Deep Sea Adventure

Probably missing a bunch of good games.
>>
>>51696328
Sorry Anon, I can't answer that one for you. I don't own and have never played the first edition. Considering the 3rd edition rules are online in PDF format, you can easily snag a copy for yourself and see what's different.
>>
How does Star Trek Catan make thematically any sense since the Federation has no means to quarrel for natural recourses with other species?
>>
File: 1293879699907.jpg (18KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1293879699907.jpg
18KB, 400x225px
>That was ok...Well i can see the appeal I guess but boardgames aren't really for me.
>Yea no kidding you intentionally ruined the game pretending to not understand and being as hipster as possible throughout.

Why is the average person so switched off on boardgames. Are children forced to play through board games they hate? I don't get it.

Whats worse people leaving mid game or fucking it up for everyone right till the end? Obviously thats loaded.

So frustrating.

I find that a game isn't fun until maybe the third play through. Yet any game that takes more than few hours never gets a fucking second playthrough. At least soon enough people remember what they'd learned.

What are some tricks to counter this.
>>
>>51696765
because it's just an actual loosely Historical Board game played on the Enterprise D. Apparently it's based on a game from the very end of Earths 20th century.
>>
>>51696931
>What are some tricks to counter this.
You posted a pic of shatner with a chrome deagle. Seems like a reasonable solution if you can afford it.
>>
Those of you that like Dominion: what are some of the most fun card sets you've played with?

I'm experimenting with the base deck; not sure if I want an expansion.
>>
>>51695964
>i think the artwork looks great
was it your genetics or your upbringing that shaped your taste so poorly?
>>
>>51696931
>Why is the average person so switched off on board games?

I can't speak for other parts of the world - but board games that are worth while and provide a mental challenge (like requiring a couple of plays to get the hang off, much less work out ideal strategies) require effort. And a lot of folks don't *really* want to put in mental effort if they don't have to do so. Media in the U.S. is designed to program people to put in minimal mental effort. It makes for better consumers when you can tell them exactly what to buy without coming right out and saying "I order you to..."

> What are some tricks to counter this?

1. Know your players. Some will never be interested in the deeper games / have the patience and attention span to play them. Don't try and force them into those types of games. As you have already noted, this just turns out badly.

2. When you have players that might enjoy the heavier stuff - ease them into it. Let them figure out for themselves that they enjoy the challenge.

3. Teach them about the different categories of board games like Euros, Ameritrash, Deck Builders, etc, and let them find their bliss. I love Space 4x games, but my friend doesn't like the more random elements in Eclipse. I'm hoping to get him to at least try Exodus or Hegmonic, but if not - I have a lot of other stuff I know he likes.

Continued...
>>
>>51697848
4. Be a good teacher. To do this you've got to:

* Know the rules well, and explain them in a straight forward manner. (In complex games run them through a turn or two teaching each phase as you go.)

* Offer the players access to the rules prior to game time - either in the form of PDF's or 'how to play' videos (or both). Occasionally miracles happen and one or more players will actually read the rules before the game (which helps a lot).

* Teach basic strategies and concepts while playing to help the players not feel like 'total newbs' while playing their first game.

* Understand that the first few games are 'teaching' games where the goal isn't for the teacher 'to play to win', but rather to teach others how to enjoy the game and play it better as they gain experience. Offer players 'here's what you can do now - here's how action X might help later vs action Y' information and let them make informed choices.

Example - while trying to learn to play 'Terra Mystica' my host "neglected" to tell me as a first time player that building a bridge before there were colonies on both sides of the river actually prevented me from building a colony on the other side later. (Which I wouldn't have done had anyone informed me of the rules while I was learning.) These can be small things, but they can have a positive or negative influence on how new players precieve the game they're learning.
>>
I gave the ascension app a try and I have to say, the art is something that I'm divided on. Some cards manage to have a nice sketchy style while other just look like a shit.

Do the expansions also have the same artstyle?
>>
>>51697869
the art style changes a bit with each expansion block so every two expansions, and in the newer ones it's basically just magic 2.0
I personally think it was best with realms unraveled and dawn of champions, but even storm of souls and immortal heroes had much better art than the base game.
>>
>>51697869
Nevermind, I just found out their site has a full card database.
>>
>>51696990

sensiblechuckle.jpeg
>>
>>51696701
>Santorini
Oh boy, I sure love paying $50 for a game with all the strategic depth of Connect 4.

Cult of the new get the fuck out.
>>
>>51698243
>being this mentally challenged

>>>reddit
>>
>>51698243
You realize Cult of the New is just code for "wow, games get better every year, but my addiction will become too obvious to family and friends if i buy any more, so i'll pretend they're all shit except mine", right?
>>
>>51699076
>being this delusional

I'm sorry for your poor tastes anon
>>
File: bios genesis.jpg (16KB, 246x246px) Image search: [Google]
bios genesis.jpg
16KB, 246x246px
Anyone here played this?
>>
>>51698243
Not this bait again
The game isn't even new
>>
>>51697863
>>51697848
Thank you for the thorough post and good advice.
>>
>>51698350
>implying reddit doesn't circled jerk over santorini until their dicks fall off
fuck off shill. the game is bad but good looking like most ks money grabs. sorry you're so poor you fight to justify your purchases to anonymous strangers on the internet. get a real job
>>
>>51699602
It's not very good either though.
>>
Aight /bgg/, got a story from a situation that arose at a recent gaming session that actually caused heated discourse from one of the participants (which in and of itself is silly and also sort of not super important) with regards to the game dungeon saga, which I recently picked up. Great game btw.

A static rule is that when the overlord runs out of cards in his deck that he draws a single card from every turn, he wins. This is sort of like an unknown timer for the players to deal with so they don't screw around.

With that said, one of the quests lists the win conditions as follows.

>Heroes - Lay the ghost to rest by combining pieces of her heart from the four locked chests

>Overlord - Cripple one of the heroes or stop the heroes from winning before the time runs out

It feels like they did a really clumsy job wording the overlord win condition. The intent is understood of course, but yeah

>Overlord - Cripple a single hero, or the heroes run out of time

Sounds much more clear, and no room for any confusions. Anyways, we had a guy there who absolutely refused to accept that they didn't do a good job with it, just kept repeating that it's crystal clear over and over ad nauseam. Someone else said the same thing, and when I pointed how how someone could misinterpret it, they started screaming.

So yeah, tales from a saturday night dungeon crawl.
>>
>>51699995
It may be because it's late where I live but how was there confusion in the wording of the overlord's win condition? It seems pretty straightforward to me
>>
>>51699803
Teaching is tough. Sometimes more so with board games where the natural temptation is to 'play to win' right from the start. The first few games are like being a crack-dealer. You have to get them hooked. And then once they are hooked you can start slapping them around while they love you for it. ;)
>>
>Concordia still not in stock

JDIMSA
>>
>>51701684
>listening to SUSD
Just get Istanbul
>>
File: not sure if....jpg (54KB, 603x452px) Image search: [Google]
not sure if....jpg
54KB, 603x452px
>>51695750

Personally I wouldn't mind this type of random. Because though it holds a great deal of chance, players may opt to hold on to certain spells and such just to "snatch" a Talisman, and make the strongest hero go back and try again. This, giving the other players time to catch up. And this is all part of the "race-game" I talked about in my earlier post, and has to be the games we have had the most fun in (when we are all somewhat equal in strength and really clawing at the crown, using every dirty trick in the book to get there!). Our main problem however is that, more times than ever, we always tend to lurk the outer/expansion regions for way to long. And at the end of the game we all act surprised someone with ûber gear and great stat just waltz up to the crown. Like our last game, the Troll won with only 8 base strength, with a few fate tokens and a bit of luck. And we had been going on for ever! Hell, he wasn't even the top player (because that guy was doing loops in the forest expansions just harvesting Destiny cards).
>>
i think sabotuer is my new fav filler
>>
>>51702192
It's more fun than you would think
>>
Risk: Legacy
Overhyped trash or must-buy game?
>>
>>51702433
You are now aware that the "Legacy" gimmick is mostly tacked onto bad games that don't sell on their own merits.
>>
>>51702433
It's not as good as the really good risk replacements like Kemet, but it's a unique enough experience to be worth playing if you have a reliable group for it.
>>
Fury of Dracula is going out of print soon, right?
>>
>>51702742
ye
>>
>>51702742
feb 11th is when FFG stopped production of GW games iirc
>>
>>51702755
It'd be a wise investment to get then?
>>
>>51702760
>boardgames
>investment
If you're into it it's probably worth playing.
>>
>>51702773
Ah yes I meant I meant investment as in buying it to play it. I'm not looking to turn a profit by gouging people or anything. I see that it's went out of print before and I guess I'm wondering if that's the case now or if it's a permanent thing.
>>
>>51701730
But they recommend that game too anon.
>>
File: Psychorage.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
Psychorage.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>51702433
It is a monolith of a game that will challenge your friendship with every person you play it with.

No kidding, by game 10 or so, every one is constantly manipulating and plotting against one another.

I won, but at what cost anon? At what cost?
>>
>>51699602
Oh yes, 2 months is TOTALLY enough time to tell this is going to be a classic for the ages. Fuck you. And don't give me that "It's a 6 year old game!" bullshit. If you gave a damn about it, you would have talked about it 6 years ago. Instead it came out, was forgotten about in a month, and no one cared until he desided to fill the packaging with toys, in which once again, it came out, and people stopped talking about it a month later.
>>
>>51699914
Wrong before and still wrong. Santorini is good and fully justified cost. I'm afraid you'll have to continue to be butt blasted that people like it.
>>
>>51702888
Funnily enough, you shouldn't get Istanbul. Suffers from the same problem of similar "planning" games where you've lost before you've even begun depending on your strategy.
>>
>>51703720
Yeah, if 3 hours is worth $50 to you. If you're not a complete retard, you'll have the game completely solved by then. I'm just mad that people like you who backed the game and had no way out of their regret are trying to justify their purchase by getting others to waste their money too.
>>
>>51704195
>3 hours
>completely solved

I'm afraid you're just wrong but nice try. Anyway, Santorini is definitely one of those core games that everyone should put in their collection to round it out.
>>
File: 1485846205639.png (322KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485846205639.png
322KB, 600x600px
>>51704236
>everyone should put in their collection.
The only thing I think should be in everyone's game collection is a deck of standard playing cards. Everything else is too based on individual taste. I refuse to believe there exists a game that is so good, every single person I could play this game with will want to buy their own copy.
>>
>>51704327
Certainly there are distinct categories, Abstract, Deck-builder, Euro etc. Unless you know for a fact that a particular category is anethema then you should look to acquire at least one or two games in each and then obviously branch out more into your favourites. Except ameri-trash, that garbage can go die in a fire and no-one should pay it any mind.
>>
File: 20170213_040443.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_040443.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>51704383
You're just limiting yourself instead of enjoying whatever's fun. Come on over man, we'll have some fun playing Battlecon
>>
File: fury-of-dracula.jpg (52KB, 650x420px) Image search: [Google]
fury-of-dracula.jpg
52KB, 650x420px
How to git gud at pic related?

Last time we played the dracula player tried to prove that it's basically impossible to win as hunters and we had no rebuttal.

He stayed in a remote corner of the map and basically did
> Dark Call
> Feed
> Hide
and moved between 3 cities in circular fashion. He matured an aristocratic vampire with the rumor token only then we knew that he was in Italy.

He managed to setup another vampire there and by the time we got the he split to the sea. He also used bats to misdirect the only hunter that was able to reach him before another vampire matured.

The he used Wolf and did the same in another location (Spain). Mina started looking in the other corner of the map and the other two hunters didn't mange to find him in Spain until he matured anther vampire and won the game.

Is this game beatable is the dracula player plays optimally?
>>
>>51704520
I like your tastes. Would you recommend Battlestar Galactica? My friends like coop with a traitor games and can stomach longer games, but only 1 of them other than myself are a fan of the show.
>>
>>51704670
Steev flicks his bean to it but it looked lame as fuck to me, so maybe ask him.
>>
What are some good social deduction and party games?
So far I've only played Secret Hitler and it was a lot of fun.
>>
>>51705541

Coup / Rebellion G54
The Resistance
One Night Rebellion
Deception: Murder In Hong Kong
Telestrations: Party Pack
Funemployed
Dixit
>>
>>51701810
You *STILL* have three problems...

1. A game that was badly designed and routinely takes away player choice thanks to way to many random elements.

2. A game that was badly designed and provides why to many ways for the 'leading player' to be sabotaged by other players - over and over again.

3. Your players *don't view* Talisman as a 'race game' and thus accentuate its worst features as a game (long plodding game play).

Even if you fix problem #3 (which you might do by playing 'Cutthroat' Talisman - only one Talisman card - who ever finds the first one is 'it' and all other Talisman cards are discarded), then you *STILL* have problems 1 and 2 which are NOT 'solvable' under the Talisman rule set.
>>
File: Cannot into board gaming.jpg (238KB, 950x476px) Image search: [Google]
Cannot into board gaming.jpg
238KB, 950x476px
>>51704520
Not the Anon you're talking to... But I'll be right over for a game of Archipelago! Dayum Skippy!

>>51704842
BSG real requires a couple of the expansions to level things out. That said, one doesn't have to be a fan of the show, but it certainly helps to have a general understanding of what happened in the reboot to 'get' the whole traitor mechanic thing. Otherwise you'll need to provide a good explanation of the game mechanics and a bit of background. If not - pic related...
>>
>>51706152

Hows Dark Moon?
>>
I was thinking about buying Citadels Classic, is it enjoyable with 3 players?
>>
>>51706254
which expansions? i have the base game i havent played inm 4 years and wanted to start again. and i think my lgs has some of them.
>>
>>51705541
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Mafia de Cuba
Burke's Gambit
>>
>>51705319
I prefer specter ops, Dracula is tense as shit but I do think it has balance problems and is unnecessarily long.
>>
File: P2110013.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P2110013.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
What is fa/tg/uy's thoughts on blood rage?

I just played it very recently, and now I'm hyped as fuck about owning a copy. This is my first time playing a streamlined dudes on a board game.

My first one was Twilight Imperium many years ago that scared me off from the genre.
>>
>>51707337
>good looking but cheap minis
>unnecessary social aspect (card drafting)
>dumbed down rules that fanboys call "streamlined"
one of the best cash grabs of board game history. people who don't like/aren't smart enough to adequately play 4x games/legitimately tactical dudes on board games fucking love everything about it
>>
>>51707337
Operating from some false assumptions. Blood Rage isn't what I'd call a "streamlined" dudes on a map game, it's pretty standard weight there, and TI3 doesn't really belong in that genre except tangentially.

But yeah, blood Rage has some interesting things going on, but I think the drafting undermines it, and the game a S a whole feels like it doesn't express player agency nearly as well as the poster child around here for the genre, Kemet, does.
>>
>>51704670
I thought Dracula can't return to a location after he's been there or am I wrong? I even never played it and I've only watched SUSD's video about the game
>>
>>51708364
He can't return until the card for that location is no longer on his track. The track is six locations long, so generally he can't backtrack to a given city for six turns. Introducing his power cards changes this a bit - several of them allow dracula to burn a turn without moving, and combining those means he can loop back on himself without covering as much ground - but it still takes six turns, if that makes sense.
>>
>>51708364
Once the card is off the trail he can, he doesn't have to do a space filling curve for the entire game.

There's only 6 places on the trail:

1) Location#1
2) Hide
3) Dark Call
4) Feed
5) Location#2
6) Location#3
7) Location#1 (already slid off the trail)
>>
>>51708474
>>51708364

I think this is legal but not 100%. If yes it means you could loop in 2 cities.

1) Location#1
2) Location#2
3) Dark Call
4) Feed
5) Hide
6) Misdirect -> Location#1
7) Misdirect slides off Trail -> Location #2
Dark Call -> Feed -> Hide etc
>>
>>51708567
Can't misdirect the "hide" location, but yeah, it's still disgusting.
>>
File: 4562456.jpg (7MB, 7430x5668px) Image search: [Google]
4562456.jpg
7MB, 7430x5668px
>Gaia Project is a new game in the line of Terra Mystica. Like the original Terra Mystica, 14 different factions live on 7 different kinds of planets, and each faction is bound to their own home planets, so to develop and grow, they must terraform neighboring planets into their home environments in competition with the other groups. In addition Gaia planets can be used by all factions for colonization and Transdimensional planets can be formed into Gaia planets.

>All factions can improve their skills in six different areas of development (Terraforming, Navigation, Artificial Intelligence, Gaiaforming, Economy, Research), leading to advanced technology and special bonuses. To do all that, each group has special skills and abilities.

>The playing area is made of 10 sectors, allowing a variable setup and thus an even bigger replay value than its predecessor Terra Mystica. A 2-player game will be hosted on 7 sectors.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/220308/terra-mystica-gaia-project

ARE YOU HYPE!?
>>
>>51704670
>>51708486
>>51708567
This is one of the major reasons why I think FoD is not a very good game. Not that I don't like it, but that it's not a very good game. Mediocre at best.

The first half to three quarter hours of the game is basically wrote. Mila and one other hunter HAVE to hop borders and use the radar ability constantly until they ping him or shit like this happens (similar thing happened in last game I played) and at that point Dracula has matured at least one hideout and has a big 'lead'. Then from there it's another three hour slog of trying to hem him in, and he's got so many ways to slip out and jump two, three, or four spaces away and basically reset the hunt.

It's not tense. It's frustrating and annoying. It's like those arcade racing games where the computer is programmed to NOT LET YOU WIN. You can get close, you might even pull ahead. But if you so much as bump a pebble on the way, you shoot back into last place.

It's Mario Kart, with dracula is in first. He gets infinite gold boosts, and everyone else get bananas, and the race lasts three to four hours.

Yes it's hyperbole, but I'm selling my copy when I have the chance.
>>
>>51708704
dont care until i can buy it, i dont do hype anymore.
>>
>>51708619
Ah right, remembered about that for Location#1 forgot about it for Location#2.

For maximum sulfur you could do this in Ireland and mature two vampires there.

>>51708707
Seeing I'm getting no answers w.r.t to hunter strategy the next thing we're going to check out with my group is either playing without the special powers for Dracula or having him reveal his first location.
>>
>>51708707
Next time people want to pull it out at my place I'll be testing with Drac choosing a public starting location.
>>51708748
Beat me to it.
We've done without the power cards, and that was mostly okay, but the early game was still pretty lame for the hunters. No powers AND a known start might be too much, but worth testing.
>>
>>51708704
Damn yes I am hype son.
Just a shame I never got around to playing the TM expansion.
>>
>>51708748
>>51708766
I appreciate your guy's effort to make FoD more enjoyable. I understand wanting to make such a cool themed and well produced game fun, but I think Spectre Ops does everything FoD does but better.

-The rules are straightforward and you don't have to dig through both the rulebook and the reference manual every game to find a specific clause because it's only in one of them and for some reason dividing the rules between two books is better, right?
-You can actually play it and another game in the same night. FoD is painfully long.
-The tension actually holds up throughout the entire game. Specter Ops is tense from start to near the finish. FoD has no tension at the start because you don't know ANYTHING and have to find your first clue before you can get any 'on Dracula's trail!' feeling. In the mid game things get tense as you try to hunt him down and corner him. Near the end game the tension evaporates in the vast majority of circumstances because it becomes very apparent who is ahead and is going to win.
-The powers are much more thematic and play-style and game affecting in Specter Ops, making each hunter and agent play in a unique way. Orangatange can muscle his way through hunters, Cobra almost WANTS hunters to find him, BlueJay is a mindfuckery ghost, etc. In FoD they are much smaller modifiers like having one extra card or being able to trade over longer distances, with the exception of the game making/breaking Mila's radar ability.
>>
>>51708950
Agree pretty much completely, but I'm probably not going to sell FoD so I might as well try and make it as good as it can be for the times my group won't be talked into Specter Ops instead.
>>
>>51708950
(cont.)
Of course Spectre Ops is not some sacred cow, flawless 10/10. It has it's own problems.

Careful planning and a little luck can give the hunters a BIG turnaround in FoD and put them on top if they're behind, but in Spectre Ops about five-six moves before the end of the game it very often becomes apparent who the winners are going to be, and there's very little that can happen to change that.

Spectre Ops's streamlined ruleset can lead to slightly repetitive gameplay, but really only if you constantly play with the same hunters and agents.

Spectre Ops doesn't have the same 'building dread' feeling of FoD since you're always at the 'high point' which if you don't get into it and stay into it, can feel equally frustrating.

But overall by having Spectre Ops I feel no need to play FoD ever again.
>>
>>51708950
I considered FoD a few months ago because of it going oop, but dropped it because of the mixed reviews. What I read here seems the be the case of old game showing its age, isn't it?
That said, I consider buying escape from colditz because one of my lgs got it and the box looks so good... Does anyone know if I will experience the same case? The main downside I rearead was that some events (read as 'pure chance') can have too much of an impact. Like shooting someone in the last moment with a dice roll. I wouldn't mind if that doesn't happen too much, as I'm ok with randomness and my group consists of normies, but having such a thing every other turn would be a no go for me. Can anyone recommend me the game or convince me not to buy it?
>>
>>51708950
Not gonna lie I was a bit disappointed by FoD after the last game, I understand what you're coming from but I'd really like to stop buying games as I think I have enough as it is.

We'll try to home rule it a bit, if that won't help I'll try to implement the game and see if I can balance it out by changing the rules drastically.
>>
>>51706897
I've enjoyed it at three. it's better with a few more, but it still works well with three
>>
>>51707619
Shitmet does not require map and waste of good theme and production, shiteater.
>>
>>51708704
Terra Mystica 'in space'. I'm kind of under-whelmed to be honest.
>>
>>51707619
I don't feel like it undermines it so much as it is just not the game people expect. I agree I wouldn't really call it dudes in a map in the sense that there's no real positioning to block anyone. Also I don't get your complaint about player agency. There's plenty of decisions to be made, plenty of options, and generally your strategy feels like your own.
>>
Bought Five Tribes and they replaced the slaves with some other card.

Fucking PC shits ruining my hobby now too.
>>
>>51706620
decent game, terrible art
>>
>>51711039
The agency is a subjective thing, to be sure. I just feel like I'm more at the mercy of the drafting mechanic than I'd like most of the time. In Kemet, if I want to do X, I can virtually always see a clear path to making it work. In Blood Rage, I'm much more dependent on what I get handed. Which is fine, and certainly there's people out there who really enjoy that kind of drafting mechanic and feel perfectly in control with it. Just not me. Yet.

>>51710075
I get what you're saying about kemet not needing a map, due to the relative equidistance of everything - but blood rage is even more so.
>>
File: 1480603967467.jpg (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1480603967467.jpg
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>51706210

Well to counter your answer I give you this!

1. I was done like 30+ years ago, what the fuck did you expect? So yea, its not great in terms of games design, but bear in mind all the expansions actually makes the game quite enjoyable.

2. This is where your wrong, because as it provides "to much" to sabotage against the leading player, remember that all the players holds the same ammunition! Thus, a real race-game will provide all people playing all vs all, on equally random terms. This might seem dull to some people, especially the guys who hates that a random die roll fucks up his "master plan". But for the average Joe, who simply enjoys a good time with friends and games, its enough to break a laugh when the "all powerful hero" suddenly gets boxed by a drunken farmer at the tavern (happened last game to be frank!). Now you could claim "lulz random! NFAA!" and call it a day. And as sure as the random element is always present, one must be a fucking retard not to know there was some great deal of plans that led to his demise (like opting to pick only craft bonuses, like randomly taunting the guys who all of a sudden got spell superiority, like stumbling on to death and so forth).
>>
File: 1482899679851.png (2MB, 800x810px) Image search: [Google]
1482899679851.png
2MB, 800x810px
>>51711498

3. "My players" (thats me and the guys to be frank) are to damn rusty to the game to view it anyway. Thus we came here to ask for advice. But alas /tg/ never surprise me with its imbeciles with black/white opinions. Same goes for every thread I guess, but theres always that guy who thinks he knows his opinion is what matters and is stated as "facts". Now I already got it a few posts back that you don't like Talisman, and thats fine. But when I repeatedly replied (in a civil way none the less) that we don't mind how the game plays, not even the dragged out parts, we just wondered how people played the game quicker. Simply put, how does one not drag this game out? You have answered in every turn "change game cus Talisman sux", not this plain, but I think everyone here gets your point.

So by checking in with some "real" forums who actually plays the game it is, despite your best effort to prove me wrong, very well to successfully pull of both 1, 2 and 3. Now you may not like it (no surprise there), but the fact still remains that we as a group enjoy Talisman as a game. And we now also has some pretty good idea on how to shorten our games, no thanks to you though.
>>
if you were to have the leanest collection possible, how large would it be? what would your criteria be for picking games? what games would you pick?

to you lean might mean 10 or 20 games and your criteria could be having one game that best represents every main mechanic or it could be having a good spread of games in your most common player counts

I personally have a hard time sticking to the criteria. I often times even take theme into account. sure they all have different main mechanics, but do I really need another game about space marines fighting impossibly difficult aliens? the answer to that is usually yes though.
>>
>>51708748
>>51708766
>>51708950
Our group definitely prefers FoD and we usually play that all of Dracula's power cards are one use only. Works for our group as most games are pretty close one way or the other.
>>
>>51711375
What's funny is they're completely ok with buying genies to serve you
>>
>>51711541
Kemet - probably my favorite board game
Chess - infinitely replayable
Splendor - it deserves the criticisms it gets but I still love it and I love the art even though the theme is totally irrelevant
King of Tokyo - I'd need a dice chucker to stay happy and this is the best imo. love the theme too
TI3 - the only 4x that even needs to exist imo
Biblios - idk why but I think this game is crazy fun and interesting every time I play
Mysterium - the only social game I have ever enjoyed (fuck secret hitler especially)
Race for the Galaxy - and zero expansions. game was great as released
DnD Ravenloft - because my friends have others and we combine them and use them for lots of stuff other than basic rules. had so many fun adventures with these things
Cuba Libre - COIN system is consistently impressive and playing solo is mad entertaining
Stronghold - favorite 2 player game. the rulebook sucks mad balls but I think the game deserves more love
Evolution: The Beginning - ya it's basically a filler/gateway version of the original but to me it makes the original and climate feel fiddly
Star Wars Risk - love how there's so much going on in this game thematically but it's so easy to get anyone to play. also pretty much everyone in my family love Star Wars so I can always get games in
Blood Bowl - super trashy and super fun to play in league format obv. plus guaranteed partners at GW stores (and fortunately, since I moved a few years ago, the crowd around me is really chill and mostly adults between 21 and 40. score)

So I just typed out the games I'd want if I had to cut my collection down only to games I would miss all the time.

Anyone have any suggestions for me based on these?
>>
>>51711541
Hell, I'd just throw out the duds that I've been meaning to sell for ages and leave it at that. My collection is already lean.
>>
File: imperial-settlers.jpg (37KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
imperial-settlers.jpg
37KB, 540x960px
Hacked together dividers for Imperial Settlers, the game was starting to get unwieldy after I recently got Aztecs.

Now what I only need to do is to print dividers for each of the factions and the expansions.
>>
>>51707036
Seconding deception its really good if you have imagination.
>>
>>51711382
Nothing is more terrible than this piece of shit.
>>
>>51713040
Yeah, I'd probably like that game but that art is so off putting I know it would sour my experience.
>>
>>51713793
The game is not that bad, but holy shit man, every time I drew a card I was disgusted by the art.
>>
>>51696357
The game's in a different genre than KoT?

Not saying the game looks great but the comparison doesn't really make sense.
>>
>>51702572
>Pandemic doesn't sell

???
>>
>>51690959
Santorini is very good. I love how all the god powers interact.
I haven't had a game night for a couple weeks. Group has been busy.
I generally wait for games to come out. I do have pre ordered but not kickstarted the Millennium Blades expansions which will hit some time this or next week. I'm excited to see Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star hit market.
Between Millennium Blades expansion and Xia's expansion, I'm more excited about Xia. Millennium Blades has more to it, but it's mostly there just to give you more in a box already filled with a shit ton. Xia is designed to actively change and fix the game, hopefully turning a diamond in the rough into a diamond not nearly as in the rough.
>>
>>51691220

A better idea would be a CAH-clone where you say the most ridiculous political shit or where one player is Trump and the other players are advisers and have to put together coherent shit after some kind of word-salad card drawing.
>>
>>51696931
>Why is the average person so switched off on boardgames.
Most people have a bad view of board games.
To the average person, a "board game" is something like Monopoly, UNO, or your average card/dice-based game for children. Most of those games have little use for strategy or even thinking and put you under the pressure of an element you absolutely cannot control with the least amount of gameplay possible. It's your turn, toss a die/play a card, get the result, turn ends.
And in a lot of families, children who play Monopoly with their families usually complain about their "father winning all the time". Those games are not played, you suffer them.

Children should be taught chess more than allowed to play shitty games.
>>
>>51714228
>mostly
>>
Is Inis worth the hype or is it just cult of the new?
>>
>>51715004
Wasn't there a game where you were a North Korean leader and the other players could put out proposals, which you'd then turn into something stupid and the others have to praise you for it anyway?
>>
Can I get some opinions on Onirim? It looks like a good solitaire game but how much mileage can I get out of it?
>>
>>51717610
Not much. It's neat but it's probably the weakest Oniverse game, held up only by having lots of expansions to play with. If you want something with more longevity I'd suggest Nautilion or Castellion.
>>
>>51716026
literally came here to ask this. Any /bgg/ love for Inis?
>>
>>51712875
Is Imperial Settlers fun?
>>
>>51716026
Cult of the new trash. Won't be heard of in 6 months time.
>>
Those who play the x-wing miniatures game, I need a little help making sure I understand k-turns. If I'm read the rules correctly, I would use a straight template to move my ship forward and once I have moved it forward I would rotate it 180 degrees so that it was facing the way it came. Is that right?
>>
>>51718620
Exactly right.
>>
>>51718636
>>
anyone here played chizo rising? the rating is bad but it seems to get good reviews. i can buy someones collection for cheap.
>>
Just played Fury of Dracula for the first time. Did the intro version, where Dracula doesn't have Lairs, Power Cards, or rumor tokens. I played Dracula, since I've played Letters from Whitechapel a few times. Three friends took the hunters. One is a "leader" and tries to play the game for others often, and cares more about perceived imbalance, which will become relevant. Hereafter referred to as Hunter Chief.

The game started with the Hunters in their assigned locations, and I chose to start in Saragossa, Spain, a couple of spaces away from a Hunter in Marseilles. I moved around Spain while the Hunters faffed about for a couple of days, picking up equipment and events mostly iirc. Then about three days in one of them made a beeline for me in Spain - I dunno if he saw one of the cards I put down in passing or what, but he headed straight for me. Anyways, I had to get out of there, so I moved by sea to England while they scratched their heads. One tried to clean out my encounter cards left in Spain, one moved towards Germany, and the other two tried to block off the Italian ports.

I had a merry olde time in England, and got my hideout track filled up again, but an event card revealed that I had been in London a couple of turns before and they started moving in the right direction again. I hustled on up to Edinburgh and boarded a boat, while they tried to figure out where I would go. Given that it was getting late, and Hunter Chief had been complaining the entire time, I decided to make it a little easier and landed in Hamburg, and a couple of Hunters caught me and killed me in combat.

1/2
>>
>>51719251

1. I didn't have a good sense for where to start, how close I could be to hunters semi-safely, etc. Meanwhile, the Hunters complained about being too spread out to start with. What should I know, and what should I tell them?

2. The Hunters initially stayed pretty close to their starting positions. I think this cost them, since I was able to get a full track of cards down and some of them started maturing. Should Hunters move every single day, or is it ever worth staying in the same place?

2. I matured an Aristocratic Vampire as fast as possible, and four turns after that had another vampire mature, putting me at 8 influence. I had more on the track at the end of the game. Hunter Chief complained about how this was "unstoppable" - and I gotta say, it does seem like Dracula can rack up influence very quickly, especially if he also gets rumor tokens, which we didn't play with this time.

3. Hunter Chief complained a lot about how Dracula can move twice as fast at sea. I tried explaining that Dracula gets half as many moves as the hunters do, but for some reason he was more aggravated by not being able to move at sea than by being unable to move at night on land.

5. Is going to England ever worth it? Also, what the hell is the point of Ireland? I went to England to give them an easy area to corral me in, since they seemed pretty lost.

6. When is a good time to fight hunters? Is there any reason not to pick Mina off immediately? And a related question, what is the point of weakening Hunters? It doesn't seem like it's worth Dracula investing resources to do.

8. Crucifix OP as hell?

9. Entering and leaving combat - if Dracula is caught by the Hunters in a town where he has a vampire, do they fight Dracula first, or the other vampire first?

10. If Dracula has played 6 combat cards, the combat is over. What happens then? Does Dracula place himself on an adjacent town, chill in the same town, what?
>>
Hopefully this might help the other FoD anon upthread too.

>>51719334
1. There's really no way to improve this, the Hunters won't ever know where to start looking, and Dracula won't ever know if he's too close for comfort. Generally someone should be close to Mina to ping each region.

2. Moving is only doable during the day, so unless there's a reason to do it (blocking Dracula's path), you should always keep moving. You can get items, events, and tickets at night, which will help movement greatly.

2. Exactly why the Hunters should find the trail as quickly as possible, and why the post above of hovering only around 3 different cities is hard to beat. Once you get on his trail though the hunters are pretty hard to shake off without the power cards if they hit all of your possible routes. There are event cards to reveal location cards on the track, so utilize that to get a bead on the Count.

3. I don't get the move twice at sea complaint when hunters move at the same pace. Hunter Chief generally just sounds impatient, probably not a good game for him.

5. England is the island right? Bluffing and losing the hunters is probably the main purpose.

6. Never intentionally pick a fight with the Hunters, except for style points. They can wreck you pretty hard. Defeating hunters doesn't eliminate them, and depending on which hospital they land on might even be detrimental. Weakening with a bite is mostly to end a fight early.

8. Depends on use, but yes.

9. They only fight Dracula during the Dawn and Dusk phases, so you can ambush them with vampires first.

10. He stays, unless you played Bat. Which is why you shouldn't enter a space with a hunter, you'd be forced to fight them twice.
>>
>>51719911
Didn't see that it was already being discussed, will read up when I can.
>>
File: pic1807124[1].png (504KB, 700x412px) Image search: [Google]
pic1807124[1].png
504KB, 700x412px
So I love the sound of this game, but one little thing bugs me: roll and move. How much do you find yourself screwed from rolling 1s? Do you end up wasting your turn or 2 from just bad luck.
>>
>>51706254

So what's so funny about that paticular comic?
Wasn't that half of Penny Arcade supposedly the Star Wars fan?

Nigga should throw a bone since he's enjoying himself something convoluted.
>>
>>51718378
It's on my personal list of comfycore - after a while you forget you're playing a game to win and only do it because you want to see your empire grow.

Get it if
> you like euros
> don't like much interaction
> like Settlers (the computer game)
> you mainly play with 1-2 people
> you like comfy games where you build stuff

Don't get it if
> you don't like engine builders
> you prefer very interactive games
> you need a spatial component
> you plan to play it at 4+

The game is very simple - there are several resources in the game: workers, wood, stone, food, gold (replaces wood, stone, food), raze and locations. You try to build up your engine in such a way that lets turn one or more of those resources into points.

The game is more tactical then strategic, you can get fucked very quickly simply by not having good cards in the first few rounds (I'm hoping they'll balance that out in some expansion)

One of my favorite games.
>>
>>51707337
I've only played it twice, but I liked it. It's not very bloody or ragey, though.
>>
File: P2140001.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P2140001.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
Rate my shit taste in boardans.
>>
>>51721859

Nothing I see here really appeals to me but it's a decent starter set I'd say.
>>
>>51713040

jesus christ these look horrible, who is the artist and why was he/she paid for this
>>
>>51721859
Only really game that is over an 8/10 for me is 7 wonders duel. Although I own splendor (mostly to use as a gateway game)
>>
>>51721859
Basic stuff, some is pure shit like Machi Koro and Quadropolis, but it looks like you started collecting a couple months ago so I can't fault you for that.
>>
>>51721859
>akrotiri
mah nigga
>>
>>51721859

should i get death angel before the printing runs out and scalpers hit the scene?
>>
>>51722974
>implying it hasn't happened already
>>
>>51723039
its still 17.99 on amazon
>>
>>51721859
Space Hulk Death Angel is the shit, excellent choice. How is 7 wonders duel?
>>
>>51722974
A thousand times yes. I bought the game a month ago but I love it
>>
>>51723191
>How is 7 wonders duel?
It's a pretty great mid 2p game, the extansion is quite needed to balance the pyramid forced chain reveal fuckery though.
It's very close to the base game but it changes very neatly some stuff to make it work for 2 (mainly military and science which are simple but effective game and tension wise).
>>
>>51723199
>>51722974
>tfw will never be able to get the expansions.
>>
>>51721859
>Istanbul
I own it with no expansions, and have played it 1 time at 2 players, 3 times at 3 players and 2 times at 4 players. Do the expansions add something interesting to the game?
I usually enjoy multiplayer solitaire, but so far Istanbul has felt kind of flat for me... there's just no drama to it, you're all doing your thing, then someone gets a gem and the game is over, just like that. Super anticlimactic.
I've felt that, besides profiting a bit from anticipating your opponent's moves, the only thing you do is plan an optimal route, and very little else. No blocking, no outmanoeuvering, felt predictable at times, since everyone was doing the optimal thing simultaneously.
Is it just me? Is there some nuance I haven't seen? Does it get better at 5 players?
>>
>>51724202
Different anon, I've only played it at 5, felt pretty tight, though I feel like I might enjoy it more at 4. Often it was the player who found a route off on an edge where they were uncontested by others that won, moreso than any "optimal" route, but maybe uncontested is optimal. Almost every game 2nd place would be 1-2 turns behind and have a "better/faster" route to get from nothing to gem, but have to compete with 2-3 other people in those same spaces. Haven't done the expansions but my friends who have say coffee > letters.
>>
File: P7230763.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P7230763.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>51724202
I'm that anon.

I've only managed to play the vanilla version so far. Thinking of introducing the expansion later on after another play or two.

It's already exhausting to explain the base game to new players, some even gets bored trying to learn what each of the 16 tiles do even though they're pretty straight forward. I can imagine some will be scared off if I add in the expansions right off the bat.

It's one of those games where you need to play with players who are all on the same level. It's a super bummer feel playing a 4 or 5 player game and one of them realize he just can't win because everyone else is at 3 gems while he's still stuck at 1.

There was some friendly bantering at first, with people avoiding to bump into other merchants to avoid paying 2 coins, but eventually everyone thought it was no big deal and went ahead to do their thing. I hope the coffee expansion will add more interaction.
>>
Fiiiinally got The Ravens of Thri Sahashri to the table.
I've gotta say, while this game looks totally obfuscatingly fiddly from the poorly designed rulebook and all the online playthroughs, even the official one, it's actually quite simple and very fun. Played as Feth, which was cool. Got to apologize constantly for fucking up the Atman every single turn.
>>
>>51724202
>>51724337
>>51724613

i only played it one time and with literally everything available promos and all.

was a lot of options on what to do and you had to look at what route your opponents took.
>>
>>51724025
Same. Life is suffering
>>
File: 1339205638812.jpg (148KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1339205638812.jpg
148KB, 640x800px
Alright lads, I've gotten on the Eldritch Horror hype train. I got the base game and Forsaken Lore a few weeks ago and loving it. I want to pick up more expansions. Which ones would you recommend? Is the new Dreamlands one good?
>>
File: Clockwork Wars.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Clockwork Wars.png
1MB, 1024x768px
Me and some friends are currently looking to buy a board game and we need some advice. We currently own Risk but, would like something similar but more complex.
So we would like a wargame in a fantasy setting. It would be cool if it had some elements of gathering resources, obtaining territory, production of units. Also it should be 3+ people and to be playable in one evening like 3-4h max.
At boardgamegeek we found these games:
- Chaos in the Old World
- Clockwork Wars
- Runewars
- Demonworld
- Mage Knight Board Game

They all kinda meet the criteria but we are wondering if anyone has experience with them or if you know some similar games which we should also consider.

And what about the complexity rating? Risk is 2.1 so we searched with 3+. How hard to learn are games with 4 or more? Like playing 5 or 20 times to get the basics?
>>
>>51726563
Chaos in the Old World is great, should do what you want.
Haven't played Clockwork Wars, Runewars, or Demonworld.
Mage Knight is more of an adventure game, and it very low conflict between players, absolutely wouldn't recommend it as a Risk replacement.

Recommend looking at Kemet, Mare Nostrum, Blood Rage, Assault of the Giants, Cyclades, and Inis.
>>
>>51724025
they're apparently not that great so we're not missing out on much

>>51722974
that depends. do you enjoy solo games? (it can be played with up to 6 people, but it's really a solo game). are you okay with super hard games that will beat you into the ground? I kept track my first few plays, and I had around a 25% win rate. often times I'd lose right at the end. are you okay with games where the dice can be the reason you lose? you have lots of ways to mitigate the dice, so it's definitely a game of skill, but you can really get fucked over by the dice

it's one of my favorite games though. as a solo game it takes around 30-45 minutes and it's super intense the entire time. I haven't yet played level 7 omega protocol, but death angel is currently the aliens™ game for me
>>
are there any board games with intentionally weak artwork?
Like a high fantasy or action game but with stick figures
I feel like it would be super meta and pretty funny if pulled off well
>>
File: pic2252623_lg.jpg (222KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
pic2252623_lg.jpg
222KB, 1024x819px
>>51726563
I'd honestly look for complexity ratings between 2.2 and 3 rather than 3+ if risk is basically the only game you've played. complexity ramps up a lot quicker than you'd think and you'd be going over rules forever if you jumped into a game with a complexity rating around 4

a game that just happens to fit that (2.9) and is often recommended as better than risk is kemet. it's still got a fair bit going on, and you definitely won't make optimal choices early on with the tech tree, but you also shouldn't feel overwhelmed either. plus it's got a neat fantasy setting and it pushes players to constantly attack each other

it's currently a bit more expensive than it should be ($60-70 instead of $45-50), but it's no chaos in the old world ($150 instead of $45)
>>
Gemblo and Love Letter
Ninja Burger (good fun, but the endgame needs house ruling), Banangrams (kinda fun, but WHY DO I KEEP GETTING ALL THESE FUCKING Q'S) and Archaeology (I must be a terrible shuffler, because there's always a glut of Sandstorms somewhere)
Nothing - my collection's big enough as it is.
See previous answer.
>>
File: damnson.png (3MB, 1914x936px) Image search: [Google]
damnson.png
3MB, 1914x936px
rate my collection /tg/
>>
>>51690959
Santorini, The Duke, Kenjin right now.
Not Alone is in the mail, hopefully it lives up to the hype.

>Recent plays
Got in a couple more games of New Angeles, fairly happy with it so far. I've had to beat a couple players over the head who started whining about being too far behind to meet their win conditions, VP in that game are incredibly fluid and you can usually find the leverage to get people to pull you back up.

Debating going in for Tortuga 1667, but I'm already drowning in lightweight deduction games. Still, very pretty little production and the rules make the game sound pretty interesting.

The pseudo-legacy netrunner pack out soon has me a little hype, should get the wife back into playing more again. Farther off, the spoonhead and ferengi expansion for ST:Ascendancy, and a load of totally unnecessary expansions for heroes of normandie.

>>51728754
12/27
>>
>>51728754
man, you really go balls deep into your games
>>
>>51728754
>Munchkin
>Talisman

Collection....Invalid.
>>
>>51728754
1/10
The only game I'd want to play is eclipse...
>>
>>51728754
How's roll for the galaxy ambition
>>
>>51729240
it's an ok expansion. Missions are pretty neat and there's more starting tiles which is awesome, because in standalone there is only few of them.
>>
>>51728940

Why people still buy Munckin, its shit and can take several hours to finish making it more unbearable and alot of people know this, where does it get the good rep
>>
The X-Wing core set is on sale at CSI for $15.

Is it worth getting only the core set for casual play with friends? Game looks fun but I have neither the time or money for getting into something competitive.
>>
When will Asmodee stop jewing us on Kemet?
>>
>>51729720
I think it works pretty well in casual play. The core set for that cheap is great, even if it is the TFA one instead of the original. Competitive scene is a little too arcane for me now, but casual play with a core and whatever iconic ships you can't live without is great.

>>51729794
So glad I got my copy years back.
>>
>>51729830
Thanks for the response. Is this another FFG situation where I want two cores or is one good enough?
>>
>>51729867
One is fine, it has ships for both sides, the only downside is you're sharing a single deck of critical hit cards, but outside of competitive no one gives a tit.
>>
>>51729888
>>51729867
Dice STEEV you're forgetting 3 each attack/defense dice only. Sometimes you're rolling 4 of each (TIE fighters on defense at long range, X-wings on attack at close range) so you need either a 2nd dice pack, or a 2nd core set. I'd generally get 1 of each core set (more options) but honestly it doesn't really matter these days, especially if you're playing casual and willing to proxy.
>>
>>51729920
Damn, yeah, forgot. They're totally stingy on dice, but you can make do.
>>
>>51729950
>but you can make do
100% serious I believed this from when I got my first core in Aug, to when I got a 2nd for Xmas. Now? I can't imagine going back to limited supply. But yeah you're still right, if you're playing casual, just get a single core set, the ships you can't live without, proxy everything else and grow you collection as slowly as possible.
>>
>>51728754
I'd gladly play BSG, Codenames, Coup, DoW, Dixit, Eclipse, Pandemic, Roll for the Galaxy, Saboteur, The Resistance, and Neuroshima Hex.
>>
>>51729650
1. Because it's a 'gateway game' for a lot of novice board gamers.

2. Where does it get its rep from? From the same people who pushed 'Exploding Kittens' to be an $8 Million + grossing kick-starter. Need I say more?

The first one I can understand - if you don't know much about gaming, you don't expect much out of your games. As for the other - dayum! No wonder it took so long for much of the world to figure out that the planet was round...
>>
File: Gaming Addiction.jpg (172KB, 775x943px) Image search: [Google]
Gaming Addiction.jpg
172KB, 775x943px
>>51729720
>>51729867
>>51729830
>>51729888
>>51729920
>>51729950
>>51729986

I'm not saying it's Gaming Crack... (BUT IT'S CRACK!!!) You've been warned kids...
>>
>>51730440
Yeah but see that comic doesn't mention the author gets to like top 8 at regionals/worlds all the time. It was a good thing he went overboard and found a hobby to put all his free energy into.

Still I do believe the goal is to grow your collection as slowly as possible. It's definitely the most affordable "miniatures" game, but that's no excuse to buy 2-3 of every ship the day they release, or stand in line for hours at Gencon to pay full MSRP to FFG. Better to wait for the big 2-3x a year Coolstuff/MM sales, or hope that your local Barnes & Noble is one that clearances the stuff (50-75% off is tasty) or go give platelets/blood to the Red Cross and get amazon or e-gift cards and pay for your plastic that way.
>>
File: Collection.png (2MB, 1814x941px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.png
2MB, 1814x941px
>What are your favourite abstract and filler games?
I really like Santorini, Onitama is great and Lost Legacy will probably always be my filler of choice. Just feels like Love Letter but with a bit more game to it.

Played Cthulhu Wars with three newbies today and trounced them pretty hard, but they enjoyed it. We followed up with a bit of Love Letter (because that one they all knew) and that was fun as well. Other than that I got a few games of Santorini and a game of The Others in a week ago and boy are those two good, even if The Others feels a little cluttered sometimes.

I will get into Rise of Moloch at the 120$ tier with the classic Gentlemen added. The Bakerstreet set just doesn't appeal to me at all. Other than that, I'll probably back Rising Sun, because I am a goddamn whore for Eric Lang's games.

God's War looks really neat, because I like huge games and I cannot lie. Other than that, I don't really know of any other big things that will be coming out this year, so I don't really expect anything.

also: thoughts on my collection? Thinking of getting rid of Power Struggle and my version of Citadels, as well as the older Conan board game, as well as Abyss, because a close friend bought it and I don't see the appeal of having the game twice in my circle of friends.
>>
>>51730517
Who me?

<whistles innocently while looking at the giant collection of board games and 40K minis...>
>>
>>51730676
I was more reminding myself since I know I have an obsessive nature, but sure if you've got a 40k army you're prolly in need of an ebay auction or something.
>>
Has anyone played Hanamikoji?
>>
>>51721859
Have you ever beaten death angel? I solo all the time and always lose. Feels great tho

Unrelated....
What do we think of this? Seriously fleet control games are my jam and I prefer card games to minis so this seems like it's legit. (In fact the only other one i havr is starfighter)... But the lack of reviews got me all thinkin. What do you all think? (Also I know stupid board size but the dev said it may change, but I can live with it if it doesn't)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1623042129/exosphere-the-sci-fi-strategy-card-game
>>
>>51731079
Not the guy you're quoting, but I beat it exactly once and it was marvelous. The end objective was powering up a panel or something, and I lost two men grabbing blindly at it and hoping brute force would work. It did. Ended with a single marine left standing.

People tell me it becomes easy enough to actually warrant the Tyranid expansion if you play it enough, but that's not me yet.
>>
>>51731079
it looks like someone is trying to knock off netrunner but without using any interesting mechanics and without using an even mildly fresh theme. Why would anyone who doesn't have a boner for outer space play this over net runner? it even looks way less asymmetrical. as i sit here typing this i become more and more bewildered that someone would feel positively about this game.

but fuck me, I'm some random dude on 4chan, if you like it buy who really cares right?
>>
>>51732027
>>51731079
Not only all the shit you just said, but the game has shown up in these threads so much that it honestly looks like it's being shilled, which makes it probably even worse, because only bad games stealth-advertise.

Also the font is shit and generally I don't really like the graphical design.

Just play Netrunner.
>>
Best area control at 4 players? Some games I really want like El Grande and Mare Nostrum work best at 5.
>>
>>51734500
Chaos in the Old World works great at 4 if you have people who are into the theme.
>>
>>51691083
>Easiest setting but there were two new players so I decided not to show them full-retard tactics like shotgunning the sorcerer with the blue monk and resurecting him with the green one.

I still haven't beaten Ghost Stories, played it maybe 20 times. Tips?
>>
>>51725576
get whatever you want senpai, they're all pretty decent.
>>
Why do people like Mafia/Werewolf so much? Every time I want to play boardgames someone will suggest it. It's like the go-to game for people who are getting into boardgames but I'd honestly prefer to play Monopoly.

I recently played Arcanum which was fun but felt quite short and Transit, a really old boardgame my dad used to play. It's a bit like Ticket to Ride
>>
>>51735653
Do your friends visit conventions? Do you often have large groups? It's a game that makes sense in that kinda setting. It involves everyone kinda and no one is incapable of playing it. Some people don't understand the concept of breaking up into smaller groups to play different games, so they pull out activities like Werewolf which is your only realistic option passing 8 players if they don't like to be separated.
>>
>>51728754
i have neuroshima hex 1st edition. is it different from 3rd besides art? and is it compatible with expansions?
>>
>>51735215
> General advice
Corners is where you want to be. A corner is the only place where you'll be able to hit two ghost minimizing the chance of a failed fight.

Don't place ghosts with 4HP into corners. Even 3 should be considered for the center depending on how many other ghosts there are on the board.

Fight only if you can win it through tokens alone or you lack one pip. If there two pips missing the probability of having a successful throw goes way down check out:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/110149/dice-probabilities-pdf

Utilize the villagers. Villagers in terms of importance:
Circle of Power
Buddha
Herbalist's Shop
Sorcerer
Tea House
Pavilion of the Heavenly Wind
Night Watchman's Beat

Situational:
Taois Altar
Cementary

Circle of Power should be set up ASAP (to black or once there's a lot of monsters of a particular color - to that color)

Use Buddhas at all times.

Other strategies depend on how the board/taoist layout is.

If you have the blue taoist "fight and use villager" you want to be in a corner with a Herbalist Shop or a Buddha

If you have the blue taoist "use action twice/fight twice" a popular strategy is to use sorcerer twice and kill yourself and be resurrected by the green player (who doesn't roll black dice).

HTH
>>
>>51736124
I don't have it but browsing through Polish forums version 1.0 has:
1) different graphics for symbols (and art)
2) two sided board (one provided a variant of the game that was later cut)
3) The fields on the board were bigger than they are now, and the board itself is unwieldy
4) Minor rule changes (Borgo granade does't work when the HQ is netted in versions 2+)
>>
>>51716026
>>51718359
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M327-9uMzI
>>
>>51691967
Hey man, you're thinking of San Fran, LA, San Diego. The rest of the state is pretty great.
>>
Opinions on "Clank!"?
>>
File: pic2599086_lg.jpg (295KB, 884x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic2599086_lg.jpg
295KB, 884x1024px
anyone play Ponzi Scheme? watching Gamenight's year in review, and this instantly sounds super interesting to me. I see that Dice Tower did an every game is awesome video on it, so I'll check that as well, but I'm curious if anyone here has given it a shot
>>
>>51736576
>The rest of the state is pretty great.

We've been saying this about Ohio for years... No one is buying it.
>>
>>51731079
I've won 3 out of 6 times but one of those I messed up with the move and activate action so I'm not sure if that one really counts. Here was my closest and most intense game: I was in the last room and down to my last marine. I had to roll a 0 or 1 to escape or be overrun with genestealers on their next attack. I rolled a 0
>>
What exactly is a Euro board game and how doea it differ from an amerocan board game?
>>
>>51738808
ooh boy

okay broad differences, euro games often avoid direct conflict while american games (sometimes called ameritrash, not usually meant to be derogatory) revel in it. think of euro games as passive aggressively "fighting" someone to get in line before them, while an american game would have you fist fight to determine the winner

another common difference is randomness. euro games often have minimal randomness, or they have many ways to lesson its impact. american games often, but not always, feature lots of dice. think rolling dice to determine if an attack hits, and then rolling to see how much damage you do

there are some other things that are a bit more nebulous, like euro games often avoid having little persnickety rules (although they can still be complex) while american games don't mind as much and may have those persnickety rules in order to try and promote a certain atmosphere. eg: you draw a card from this deck when you've taken a fatal hit but only when the moon phase tracker is at a full or new moon or if one of your party members has an illness debuff

catan, ticket to ride, and pandemic are examples of euro games, while risk, arkham/eldritch horror, and descent would be "ameritrash" games. another thing to keep in mind is that where the game comes from doesn't really matter in terms of the definition. it doesn't matter if the game was created by a german and published in europe, it could still be considered an american style game.

fantasy flight games are the dominant american game publisher these days by the way
>>
>>51738808
another thing is that euro games dont have theme
>>
File: Not Alone.jpg (186KB, 910x910px) Image search: [Google]
Not Alone.jpg
186KB, 910x910px
Speaking of 'Not Alone' - does anyone know if there's any difference between the 'European' version of this game and the U.S. (Stronghold Games) version of this? (Other than the U.S. version apparently being a dollar more expensive...)
>>
>>51738808
Euro / Eurogame
n. synonym for German game. This term emphasizes the more frequent publication of German-style games in other countries in Europe. Eurogames are often noted for their minimal or complete lack of dice rolls / luck based mechanics emphasizing more strategic play and planning. Eurogames typically do not feature direct player interaction / conflict mechanics, and almost never include 'player elimination' mechanics.

Ameritrash (American Style)
n. A catchphrase for "American style board games". In general, this means games that emphasize a highly developed theme, player to player conflict, possible player elimination before the end of the game, and usually features mechanics of some sort such as cards or dice rolls that mean luck can play a moderate to high level in determining the winner. Examples of classic Ameritrash games include Axis & Allies, Dune / Rex, Cosmic Encounter, Talisman, and Twilight Imperium.

>Randomness in Euro vs. Ameritrash games
Randomness itself isn't a defining difference between the two it's how the randomness is introduced.
In Eurogames randomness happens before a player's decisions are made; decisions are made to optimize the situation that has presented itself. In Ameritrash games, a player decides to attempt something and randomness is involved in determining the success of the action.
>>
>>51739033
Its more that ameritrash games have mechanic built upon the theme, euros have theme built upon mechanics. This leads to ameritrash games to have themes that are more faithfully felt through out the game whereas euros have mechanisms that work more smoothly together.

Re: ameritrash vs euro interaction
Ameritrash is the demo derby to eurogames formula one or NASCAR. In a euro you can usually effect an opponent by blocking or impeding, but you can't ram them off the road.
>>
>>51738808
Euros are primarily based on fair, balanced and non-aggressive play. For a simple example, see Splendor - everyone simply takes resource chips each turn, which can be used to buy cards, and everyone will always get an equal amount of turns to do this. Most point cards wins. The worst thing you can do to an opponent is take something they wanted. It is otherwise totally non-combative. The theme is second to fair mechanics, everything is.

Amerigames are primarily based on theme, and delivering an experience that you can tell stories about. For a simple example, again, let's say Elder Sign. You chuck dice to try to seal cards and get loot. The strategy is to only to cards you have a good probability of sealing based on which die you have, but really, the main reason the game exists is to feel badass and punch Cthulhu in the face. The specifics are an afterthought. If it were a competitive game, it could be a little unbalanced and they'd still release it, because maximizing Fun™ is by far the most important design decision to them.
>>
>>51739048
According to a post on bgg only difference is publisher stamp.
>>
>>51739095
>Ameritrash
So called because they appeal to the lowest common denominator (i.e. as intelligent as americans) and the game is garbage.
>>
File: 95e.png (161KB, 265x281px) Image search: [Google]
95e.png
161KB, 265x281px
>>51739905
>"I only play intelligent games made by and for intelligent people like me."
>>
File: 1460715284776.png (173KB, 800x443px) Image search: [Google]
1460715284776.png
173KB, 800x443px
>>51740592
>>
File: IMG_1358.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1358.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
had some boardgame boxes from stuff my lgs was tossing away so i decided to see what would work best.
took this box and cut it in half to make it fit neuroshima hex 1st ed
http://i.imgur.com/LWmuidX.jpg
Guess i dont need this anymore.
http://i.imgur.com/xz9d5Zp.jpg
Gonna put machi koro bright lights in my halli galli box
http://i.imgur.com/cM3JqFV.jpg
not sure what to do with the halli stuff yet.
cutting up some more boxes in the meantime
http://i.imgur.com/XOag0B4.jpg and decided to put this game in their as well, instead of cutting the box in half again..
http://i.imgur.com/fnTUjqC.jpg
wasnt sure if i wanted to do something to isle of skye, the board couldnt be cut since it's 2 sided and i didnt have another box for it. so i decided to make a whole new box for it. http://imgur.com/a/BBAT6
Re-skinning halli galli
http://imgur.com/a/DPuwj
Re-skinned whatever that cutup box was
http://i.imgur.com/MWPmkai.jpg
Even if i would cut the limes box in half 2 times i would have space leftover. Found a perfect other box for it though.
http://imgur.com/a/nn6P4
Here are they in comparison to the original boxes. i am not sure if i will nametag them like i did tempus, it kinda takes away part of the aesthetic. http://i.imgur.com/VcjyofD.jpg
>>
>>51740592
>I play games made for people who don't understand basic game theory (aka math)
>chess and go are poorly designed games
lol troll harder plz
>>
>>51739775
Thank you. Sounds like an interesting game.
>>
>>51738808
Ignore the other idiots, they're morons.

Ameritrash games are about storytelling. Tabletop RPG's are the ultimate ameritrash games taken to extreme.

Euro games are about well-crafted, balanced mechanics. Chess and Go are examples of euro games. (Although chess and go are very shallow strategically, current fashion in euro games emphasizes strategic depth over tactical depth.)
>>
>>51741737
just curious, why are chess and go shallow strategically? you could argue that they are now reduced to core strategies, but that is only after literal centuries of exploration. are they not some of the most strategic games ever created? I'm legit curious
>>
>>51741767
He means they both focus on tactics rather than strategy because they're about specific immediate responses to an opponent's actions rather than an elaborate long-term plan.

Your strategy in chess is continually revised to suit the needs of immediate tactics, while in other games your immediate tactics might be shaped by a longer term strategic plan.
>>
>>51741767
Strategy means having more that one win condition or needing many resources to manage to win. Chess is super-simple strategically -- only one win condition, only one resource to manage.

Tactics means having to choose an optimal move among many. Chess is mindbogglingly complex tactically.

Take something like Patchwork, a current euro game for kids -- there's three contradictory resources you need to manage to win, but each turn you just pick one of three choices, usually a no-brainer choice.

Take Agricola, a slightly more complex game: no less than *13* resources needed to win, but tactical choice is still primitive, just pick one of several spaces on each turn. (Also usually a no-brainer choice.)

Modern euro games have been tilting heavily into strategy over tactics for a long time now.
>>
>>51741862
couldn't you argue that every piece that moves differently in chess is a different "resource"? Idk maybe we have different ways to define things which is fine but i think chess is a complex game simply because the set up is always the same but each game plays out differently.

I think strategy means knowing what is possible and how to counter it (chess and go) whereas tactics is being able to react to what other people do compared to what you have done (all the other games you mentioned) so either one of us has our definitions mixed up (which could be me, admittedly) or we just have to agree to disagree (which would mean neither of us is wrong we just have different ideas)

overally i don't think either of us is wrong i just think we could have a quality convo about this, so curious to hear your thoughts
>>
File: dilbert.gif (127KB, 900x284px) Image search: [Google]
dilbert.gif
127KB, 900x284px
>>51741862
> Strategy means having more that one win condition or needing many resources to manage to win.
>>
>>51741945
I didn't say that chess isn't complex. Chess is certainly complex, but it's complex due to the huge decision tree.

Games like Agricola are also complex, but they're complex because to win you need a complex plan before you even start playing. (Chess doesn't have complex plans, whatever you do it's always going to be "take the enemy king with your pieces".)

Patchwork is a light game, but you absolutely cannot win it by just winging it and picking the "best" pieces each turn. You have to mentally picture the end result before your first turn. (And because there are several resources you need to juggle that picture is different from game to game.)

Euros get called "multiplayer solitaire", but that's actually part of what makes them fun -- with a complex strategic space there's a huge variety of possible strategies and each player can execute a different one, interlocking but not directly competing with those of other players.
>>
>>51742036
> Strategy, n.: a plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim.
If you want a fun game with complex plans you need several resources and/or win conditions. That's just how it works.
>>
>>51742139
First of all, that doesn't change the definition of strategy.

And there are many strategies in chess
acquiring center strength
acquiring spatial advantage
acquiring figure flexibility

You are right that there is only one win condition but that's neither here or there. Also:
>If you want a fun game with complex plans you need several resources and/or win conditions.
is debatable. People have fun playing poker, people have fun playing Kalvinball.
>>
>>51742213
>And there are many strategies in chess
Yes, but they're all very boring and samey.

The really fun euros are those where there are lots of possible plans that are wildly different, not directly in competition and yet interlocking in subtle ways.

> People have fun playing poker, people have fun playing Kalvinball.

These games aren't about inventing fun strategies, unlike euro boardgames.
>>
Considering buying Mansions of Madness 2e, does it have you pitted against a particular Ancient One like in AH/EH or are you just fighting regular monsters without really knowing what's beyond?
>>
>>51742109
>Patchwork is a light game, but you absolutely cannot win it by just winging it and picking the "best" pieces each turn. You have to mentally picture the end result before your first turn

how is that different from chess? in chess you have to mentally picture the result before every turn....i guess we're talking about different things here because i don't think either of us are being particularly dumb in this situation
>>
>>51741417
So TTRPGs aren't good games, is that what you mean?
Ameritrash games can be as good games as Euro, they are just less (or even not) competitive and more randomized. I can spend a better time on Arkham Horror with my friends than I would with basic Euro stuff, although I do have a preference for Euro games because they tend to be faster.

Oh btw, I never said anything about design or shit and I myself own a glass chess game that I would love to play more. Sadly, my gf doesn't like games like this.
>>
>>51742254
>samey
wrong because all chess boards look different at the end
>boring
subjective
>>
>>51742911
i never used the word "good"

please re-read with above third grad reading comprehension then respond, neanderthal

tl;dr
don't be a faggot
>>
>>51742911
>dating a retarded person who doesn't like chess

sry your life sucks, meet smarter people
>>
>>51742974
Can an ameritrash gamer explain to me what random chance like say, dice, adds to a game? To me, for exist only as an equalizer to eliminate skill.
Hard mode: don't say theme.
>>
>>51743088
jw why did you respond to me when i was defending euro?

on a different note, to play devils advocate, sometimes if you play CERTAIN eurogames enough you find optimal strategies and it loses the fun factor.

I put certain in caps because not all games suffer this as some games have in direct confrontation but some have none at all and whoever has the best strat will win

note that chess and go and onitama etc do not suffer this
>>
>>51743142
nvm re read what you said and it made sense, my bad
>>
>>51743088
I wouldn't call myself an ameritrash player by any stretch, but space hulk death angel is one of my favorite games so I'll speak purely in regards to that

it adds tension that you just can't get anywhere else. there's one die in the game, and it's rolled to determine if attacks hit or not. I honestly can't imagine it working without dice (or at least some other randomizer) because if an attack hits, it's an instant kill whether it's a space marine or an alien that's attacking. if you remove the random element, you have to add in hit points and that would fundamentally change the feeling of the game (for the worse)

I know that's a very specific instance, but it does have its place. for reference, I usually can't stand dice combat in player vs player games and I am actually broadly against roll to determine the outcome in any game, I just think it works in the "aliens" setting of death angel. legendary alien does a good job of providing a similar feeling and atmosphere without using dice, but they're very different games.
>>
overall idk why this is still debated.

Ameritrash: there's some random shit that adds fun* to the game, people can fuck you over based on dice (or other randomly generated mechanics)

Eurogame: nothing is random, there's little interaction so figure it out or get outplayed (generally by someone who has more plays in the specific game than you)

neither is right or wrong, it's just different ways to play a game.

so risk will be won by whoever rolls better usually (ameritrash)

Kemet will be won by whoever knows the game better (euro)

really the question is do you have a group who plays constantly together? if you do, play kemet (euro)

if not, play risk (ameritrash)

neither is better or worse, just learn your game group and choose. if your group is super random then have a good mix.

either way, imo, fuck secret hitler and social games cuz i hate that retarded shit (my personal opinion)
>>
>>51738263
That's because Ohio is nothing but Rust Belt derelicts, California has a shit ton of national parks and our rural areas combine the best bits of hippies and rednecks, it's amazing.
>>
>>51743798
>implying there is a redeemable quality of america
lol stay fat
>>
>>51743088
They keep the game from being solvable or semi-solvable. They don't matter as an equalizer except in the most trashy of Ameritrash, like Betrayal on the House on the Hill.
>>
>>51735813

>it involves everyone kinda

Until you get eliminated. One Night Ultimate Cash Cow was created for a reason and, ignoring its various bloated sequels, is a better game. Play that.
>>
File: IMG_0486.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0486.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>>51690959
ITT Ascension high scores
The blue multi-unite for top card is busted
Especially when you copy him twice with that crystal-powered dude
>>
Rate Battlecon Devastation
>>
Anyone else gonna get dicked by the Gloomhaven pre-order fiasco

Anyone who got the KS got any input?

Has it met the hype?
>>
OK so i want card games i can play solo. I'm ready to pull the trigger on Space Hulk Death Angel and Onirim HOWEVER I'm a Britfag and the prices for Onirim are fucking absurd.

Near £50 for a fucking card game. No. I can import it from the US with considerable import tax for £36. Still really bad but why the fuck is it so hard to get in the UK.

Am i missing something is this really bad timing?

I get this is a good time to get Space Hulk because it'll be out of print soon but whats the deal with Onirim is it briefly out of print? Should i wait?
>>
>>51745919
https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Z-Man-Games-Onirim-Board-Game/product/B00KU1343E

I'd definitely hold off until it's around 20. it's popular enough that I assume it's a temporary thing but I've been saying the same thing about kemet and here I am still waiting for it to drop in price
>>
>>51746038
Thanks for the response bro. I assume it went out of print last year or something?

This hobby... I'm ridiculously frugal in every other aspect of life.
>>
>>51745454
child, please
>>
>>51745887
>Anyone who got the KS got any input?
>Has it met the hype?
based on contents, yes Haven't had a chance to play yet, hopefully kicking thing off this sunday.

If you are getting dicked by the pre-order issue rumor has it there will be a another kickstarter this spring for a second printing.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-02-26-15-14-22.png (1MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-02-26-15-14-22.png
1MB, 1280x768px
>>51746241
>>51745454
I could have sworn I had a screenshot where I got up to 6 thousand.

Infinite turns is something fierce.
>>
File: Autism.png (1MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.png
1MB, 1280x768px
>>51746369
There we go!
27, 447 points.

My most autistic moment.
>>
Dark Moon or BSG? I currently have an unplayed copy of BSG, but my friend is willing to trade me a copy of Dark Moon for it.
>>
>>51745830

Good shit/10
>>
>>51745887
Not confirmed if I am going to be dicked yet, but it's definitely a possibility.
>>
>>51748333
Hype built way to late in the game for it
>>
So is High Frontier good? Or just autism personified?
>>
>>51748610
I didn't even know it was a thing until right after the pre-order window closed. Mildly salty, because I could have been one of the guaranteed orders just a few days earlier.

That said, I'm glad things seem to be working out for Isaac and his game, supply and demand issues aside.

On a related note, how big is Miniature Market? Anything close to CSI for example? Are they big enough that they might get a good chunk of the retail quantity? I've only ordered from them this once.
>>
>>51748801
Mini Market is good about having the stock they say they're getting.
That's all I know.
>>
>>51748826
Cool, appreciate the info.
>>
>>51745887

Played 4 scenarios. 6 total plays because of 2 losses.

Its really good. The City Events/Road Events/map stickers/mystery boxex give you the desire to keep going. The card play for combat is really tight. Easy to run out of cards if you play too aggressively, easy to get beaten down if you play too cautiously.

So far the scenarios have all been "kill things" but I know there are other types and I hope they show up soon.The one "boss" I've fought so far was interesting enough that you can see how Isaac can mix things up.

My main takeaway so far is that the game is more random than most think. Not just with the modifier decks but also with the AI decks on the enemies. Both of our losses were immediately followed with us cakewalking through the scenario the 2nd time. Some of that is knowing exactly what is coming, but a lot of it is the "luck" of the AI deck. The boss fight was basically unwinnable the first time because he summoned adds 4 of the first 5 turns.
>>
>>51747733
Dark Moon doesn't have the depth of story that BSG has, but it also plays out in a fraction of the time (typically 45 minutes or less) and still plenty of tension. So, do you want the long story, or the shorter "Oh God! Which of you bastids is infected?!?"
>>
New thread
>>51750043
>>51750043
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.