[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bolt Action or 40k Kill Team? Thinking of getting into skirmish games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (795KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
795KB, 4096x2304px
Bolt Action or 40k Kill Team? Thinking of getting into skirmish games.
>>
>>51683107
If you decide on kill team do the Hearlds of Ruin community edition.
>>
File: Bolt Action Soviet Infantry.jpg (58KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
Bolt Action Soviet Infantry.jpg
58KB, 600x397px
If you want a game that is easier to get into with simpler rules and a more fast-paced play style, try 40k kill team.

If you want more complex rules with less dependable combat, a leadership system that actually gets used, and a system that forces you to account for unreliability, go with bolt action.

Personally, I prefer Bolt Action.
>>
>>51683107
Kill Team is more popular and faster.

Bolt Action is the more complex and balanced system.
>>
>>51683107
that table gave me some serious wood
>>
File: DSCN5357.jpg (320KB, 1200x569px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5357.jpg
320KB, 1200x569px
>>51683107
Bolt Action is fucking awesome.
>>
I dunno about you guys but I'm in love with Mordheim.
>>
>>51683107

BOLT ACTION.
>>
>>51683431

This. Seems like Bolt Action if you want Historical and better rules, but if you must play 40k at small scale, use Heralds of Ruin rules because standard GW Kill Team is janky.

>>51684591

Also this, although Mordheim can be random and hilarious given the tables. It can fuck you over or shower you with gifts on a whim.
>>
Bolt Action.
It plays like 40k and is written by Alessio Cavatore, but is a lot more community friendly

Personally, I'm done with GW's bullshit, so this has been my new primary tabletop.
>>
>>51684732
Also should be noted that Bolt Action is really well balanced. There's no good or bad army, just different play styles
>>
Speaking of Bolt Action, Im going to start a 1000pt Italian army with a couple Bersiaglieris in bikes and I was thinking on what artillery piece should I take? Or should I stock up on mortars?
>>
>>51684638
That's sort of the point and that's why I love Mordheim. Revel in the chaos!
>>
>>51683107
Bolt Action isn't a skirmish game though
>>
>>51683107
whichever has a playerbase, they're both fun enough
>>
>>51684994

I can't say I disagree.
>>
>>51683107
Try some other games like Rogue Stars or Counterblast. That way you can use any miniatures you want. I've played a couple games of Rogue Stars with a friend and it's been pretty fun.
>>
File: 1481529943589.jpg (276KB, 1600x828px) Image search: [Google]
1481529943589.jpg
276KB, 1600x828px
>>51683107
Bolt Action. Even if you hate the rules, you can use the minis for a whole galaxy of other WW2 skirmish games. With 40K you're pretty pigeonholed.
>>
>>51685031
Any game that represents a single man on his own base is a skirmish game. BA is a skirmish game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-to-man_wargame

>>51683107
Pretty similair rules. Only main difference is the activation in BA. Play whatever people near you play if you want to actually find opponents, or talk to some friends and see what they want to do.
I Aint Been Shot mum, Battlegroup and NUTS are other WW2 skirmish games of higher quality than BA. BA is pretty much 40K re-skinned for WW2. Not a lot of thought given to units behaving accurately, nor is there much encouragement to build historically accurate army lists. People take what is strongest or most points efficient, instead of having a system where the points system encourages people to take historical lists. Its not hard to design - have rare things cost more, and things that were common cost less, and BAM you have historical accuracy in your army lists.
>>
>>51686580
>Any game that represents a single man on his own base is a skirmish game. BA is a skirmish game.
That's a fucking retarded definition. It's platoon-scale. Also, Bolt Action is not even on that list.
>>
>>51684835

Take mortars. Better to spread out the points in my personal opinion.
>>
>>51686580
Neither Warlord's site nor BGG define it as a skirmish game.
>>
>>51683107
Bolt Action is a far more balanced and tight ruleset. It also has some interesting mechanics.

Really the main reason people play 40k is because they like the lore. There's nothing else really going for it. That said, if you like 40k, you will never be satisfied playing anything else to scratch the 40k fix. I say this as a guy who thinks 40k's kill team is pretty crap, I still play it and Heralds of Ruin just because I love the lore and the models.

However, I also play Bolt Action, and I'll tell you right now it's a far better designed system. Plus, Bolt Action at full scale is still going to be about the same cost as a 40k kill team. Bolt Action plastic boxes usually have far more value, hell the box here >>51683505 is usually $40 for 40 guys. That's a dollar a guy. 40k would get you ten models for that price, with far less options. Warlord even sells really nice starter armies for about a $100 that are legit, full 1,000pts armies (their standard pts, it'd be like an 1850 40k army in a box)

Nothing else really matches its order dice system either. It's "random" but in a good way. It really kind of gives that feeling of a rolling battle that could swing at any second, that you're essentially dealing in organized chaos. It's as much predicting your opponent and preparation as it is reacting and thinking on your feet. You can set up ambushes early in a turn if you want to try to limit movement, or go for a fire order to pin a key unit down, or try to run a unit into cover before it gets shot, etc. etc. etc. It's not even about going first either, you'll often find yourself in weird situations where you want to come up last, like trying to set up an assault or preparing ambushes for the next turn. It leads to these crazy moments where you're both just reaching into the bag and going "oh my god please just let him get the die, I need to move after him." It's a fun mechanic and really makes the game in my opinion.
>>
>>51686623
What, platoons can't skirmish?
>>
>>51686623
>>51686651
Skirmish game at squad level.

BGG and warlord seem to carefully avoid classifying what kind of game it is, although Its really squad level. A few squads, sometimes even a whole platoon if you have at least 50 men on the table.
>>
>>51687614
>A few squads, sometimes even a whole platoon if you have at least 50 men on the table.

That's not skirmish. Skirmish games are up to 20 models per side and they are activated separately. Bolt Action is a classic army wargame.
>>
one thing about bolt action is after a while, it starts to feel very same-y, and though the order dice system does help to alleviate this, it's still an issue wherein every soldier is the exact same, save for their leadership value and potentially special weapons, which I understand is important to the historical aspect, but does make things a little boring.
also, they made air strikes hot garbage in the new edition and that frustrates the living fuck out of me as an American player
>>
Personally, I like Bolt action for my beer and pretzels game where I got time to kill and people who want to work their brains a bit. But, I also play Kill teams(HoR rules) with some modifications such as using the bolt action activation rules and allowing models to set ambushes.
>>
File: stat_8011.png (128KB, 264x346px) Image search: [Google]
stat_8011.png
128KB, 264x346px
>>51683107
Bolt Action is fucking awesome!!!

I would have left wargaming completely if it wasn't for bolt action.
>>
File: 1486884634201.jpg (211KB, 748x600px) Image search: [Google]
1486884634201.jpg
211KB, 748x600px
Hijacking this thread with my own question.

Bolt Action or Age of Sigmar?

I like WWII and I like swords and spears.

Help, thanks
>>
>>51690136
Bolt action it's cheaper and you can have guys armed with swords and spears if you play japanese along with suicide squads of men with anti tank mines on a stick.
>>
File: grimdark_future_logo.jpg (848KB, 3504x2032px) Image search: [Google]
grimdark_future_logo.jpg
848KB, 3504x2032px
>>51683107
Check out the one-page stuff, they have skirmish games for both sci-fi and fantasy:

https://onepagerules.wordpress.com/
>>
>>51683107
Bolt Action, if for no other reason than encouraging 40kids is bad karma.
>>
>>51691156
Do you think Double Tap would work well with Fallout minis?
>>
>>51693467
Honestly I think that double tap would work with any shooty miniatures, from fallout to modern military to gangs and pulp... anything!
>>
>>51683107
Age of Sigmar Hinterlands
>>
>>51693696
>Age of Babies
no thanks
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.