[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MUD - Multi User Dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Anybody remember that guy on here a couple years ago that was building a MUD?

I think he had to temporarily stop for some reason, not exactly sure.

Did he ever return? Is there anyone else building one?
>>
Why no one convert dwarf fortress to mud or make a super complex mud?

Having all the extra resources because of the fact your mud will only be text and not using it, looks very stupid and against the point
>>
>>51682248
>Having all the extra resources....
change that to
Having all the extra computer resources available...
>>
>>51679019
>Anybody remember that guy on here a couple years ago that was building a MUD?
No. Tell me more. Why build a new one when there already exists a lot of engines?
>>
>>51682248

Something like that can be done, it just takes an autist, or better yet a small team of autists.
>>
>>51682248
If you think of how complex Dwarf Fortress is as x, then making it into a multiplayer game would x times whatever the number of players you're trying to build for. Say, 500 people at a time, for a really successful mud. Dwarf Fortress took 20 years to make, to the state it is now, so a mud of that complexity would take 10,000 years. That's why. It's just math.
>>
>>51682248
Because the protocols used for MUDS don't support anything that Dwarf Fortress can do. I don't see why ASCII-interface would be equivalent to a complex game.
>>
>>51682306

I'm a coder, and you're not going to have a linear relationship between number of players and work load. If you code reusable systems like Toady builds for DF, it's not much extra work to make it multiplayer, provided you planned that from the start and drop in somebody else's network layer.

>>51682354

MUDs and other telnet games have been doing ASCII interfaces for ages. They're not common, but they're doable and have been since forever.
>>
>>51682371
They have been doing ASCII interfaces, but that doesn't mean that they would be anywhere near as complex as Dwarf Fortress. Lots of, if not most games with ASCII interfaces aren't that indepth.
>>
>>51682354
>. I don't see why ASCII-interface would be equivalent to a complex game.

Because the reason for using ascii text, instead of graphics, would be to save computer resources to be used with gameplay
>>
>>51682411
Which happens how often? Aurora and Flight Simulators are in the ball park with DF's complexity, and neither are that complicated. Regardless MUDS and things that run through telnet generally won't be able to support or handle anything too demanding, whether it is graphics or any complex simulations.
>>
>>51682459
Whoops, I meant that neither use an ASCII interface.
>>
>>51682406

This is true, which is why I said you need an autist, or small team of autists, to get that kind of thing.
>>
>>51682511
You could make a open sourced thing.

Some guys are coders, when they need ideas about something, fishing, medicine, farming or whateaver, they ask someone that have knowledge about the subject to write some gameplay for them, they then code this into the game.
So unlike dwarf fortress they wont need to have knowledge at everything they try to code.
>>
>>51682511
You probably couldn't use an actual MUD protocol for a lot of crazier stuff.
>>
OP here. Guess nobody really remembers the guy I'm thinking of. It's a shame cause I also don't remember a lot of detail about what kind of MUD he was making exactly but I do remember taking part in the threads that he would make and post his progress on.

Too bad. I made a Discord for MUD players a couple days ago tho, about 10 of us in it at the moment.

Feel free to drop in if interested: https://discord.gg/qz4UM7q
>>
knswe
>>
>>51679019
I never could do these
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.