[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

W40k Army Pointers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: kasrkin_squad.jpg (105KB, 873x627px) Image search: [Google]
kasrkin_squad.jpg
105KB, 873x627px
Newfag looking to get into W40k. I've read up on some of the Codices and feel like the Imperial Guard is really my style. I'd like to hear from some more experienced players on a decent, all-around army makeup that would let me handle a variety of situations against a variety of opponents.
>>
File: IMG_0333.jpg (112KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0333.jpg
112KB, 1024x768px
>>51671900
>all-around army makeup that would let me handle a variety of situations against a variety of opponents.

then ig is not your style

first you have to decide, do I want to play to win or do I want to play because i like the models and the fluff?

IG are severely outclassed by other factions rn, their infantry is utter shit and their vehicles are easy to destroy

I once wiped out an entire squad of over 10 ig before with a single 50 point librarian using phycic shriek than charging them.

If you do not care that you will loose most matches, and you care more about the fluff then go with whatever makes you happiest, but YOU WILL NOT WIN WITH IG against any serious player.
>>
>>51671975
Can confirm.

>>51671900
I got back into the game in 7th after being a king in 5th. IG blow fat loads now. You will lose a lot. Every bat rep online that has Guard playing pretty much lose 95% of the time.
>>
>>51671975
>>51672051

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>51671975
>do I want to play to win or do I want to play because i like the models and the fluff?
This.
What are you getting into the game for? Having fun over a casual game with some friends, trying your hardest to build a killer list without holding anything back while your opponent does the same, going for a roleplay-sort of narrative campaign that is more for telling a fun story than for competition, etc?

What are you trying to get out of 40k here?
>>
Not OP, but since this is basically an IG advice thread, how do vox operators work in conjunction with artillery?

Would it be possible to make a giant Basilisk artillery battery competitive, or at least somewhat useful using vox-equipped Scions or similar radio units?
>>
>>51672389
Vox-casters need to be carried by the unit GIVING orders and the unit RECEIVING orders. Those words are highlighted for emphasis as Vox-casters can only be equipped by infantry units and not vehicles, so for artillery tanks it does nothing. It does however give you a do-over if you fail the leadership test needed to make the order work, so there is that. Just be mindful that if you're doing a big 50man blob squad only 1 guy out 50 needs a vox for the whole thing to benefit from it.
>>
>>51672422
Really? so Vox-casters can't improve artillery accuracy in any way? If so, that's kind of lame, wouldn't it make sense that what is basically a radio operator could relay enemy positions in their line of sight to a basilisk? Seems like it'd make using artillery a little more viable?
>>
>>51672497
You can make them more viable by taking some sanctioned pyskers for that sweet re-rolls to hit via Prescience. Otherwise no, vox-casters do nothing for IG tanks. You could also grab 3 Space Librarians for a Librarius conclave and pass tests on a 2+ as well but it costs more points.
>>
File: wrath.jpg (234KB, 644x888px) Image search: [Google]
wrath.jpg
234KB, 644x888px
>>51672497
There is a formation called Emperor's Wrath where Vox casters do improve artillery accuracy, but it's a specific formation so you are limited to what you can and have to bring.
>>
File: CURIOUS GEORGE.jpg (678KB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
CURIOUS GEORGE.jpg
678KB, 2448x1836px
Play Skitarii.
no flame throwers aren't really a problem.
you have massed Precise fire and decent middle ground infantry.
Cavalry units that can actually affect the enemy or turn into snipers (but why do that when you can take the T Arquebus 60" range anti tank gun.)
Infantry are good against armoured infantry, normal infantry, light armour and with the right tools. medium armour.
the Tank walker.
(Martian Quadruped walkers.) (Onager dunewalker.) have a great versatility of armament. from a simple 48inch heat ray straight ouuta War of the Worlds coupled with a cognis heavy stubber to an eradication beamer with strange and fucky distance/effect mechanics. or a Three point (3 gun types and 3 differing rolls.) fire all on one target anti air system that is really effective vs skimmers and some flyers.

want to fuck enemy units up at range? give your guys a hefty buff to BS skill.
want to give your guys a mean edge in CQC that would make Big boss proud? give em a buff to WS instead.
Want to Overwatch on BS4? done.
want to out shoot tau gun lines like the Redcoats of England against the United states in open field? done.
there is a tonne more great points and some negatives but go for your life.
>>
File: Howling_Griffons_Battle-Brother.jpg (26KB, 309x455px) Image search: [Google]
Howling_Griffons_Battle-Brother.jpg
26KB, 309x455px
>>51671900
if you want to play to win then pick either eldar, necrons (fuck reanimation!!!!!!!) or ravenwing(dark angels)

if you just want to have fun, like 90% of players do, and winning is not really the highest priority then just pick whatever peaks your interest

I would personally recommend space marines, they are easy to paint (Assuming you do not have a lot of painting experience) and have pretty cool lore, they also have decent units and formations, so if you play your cards right you can win some games.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.