[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Baptism of Fire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

>Playing DnD 5E
>The party is tasked with taking down an immense hobgoblin fortress, with several story high wooden walls around it, at least a mile wide
>Igotthis.png
>I go over to the nearest tavern
>Buy 50 bottles of cheap whiskey, keep em in a bag of holding.
>Afterwards I go to a magic shop and manage to find a scroll of invisibility.
>Let's do this.
>We go back to the fort, and through a great deal of luck, manage to sneak up to one of the walls despite rolling single digit stealth rolls, and even failing the arcana roll to use the scroll.
>Start pulling out bottles of whiskey and uncorking them.
>Splash one of the wooden walls with the whiskey like a goddamn modern artist.
>Eventually I use up all of the whiskey completely drenching this wall of logs in the middle of a dry summer day, the wood soaking up the alcohol.
>Light the wall and sneak away, watching from a distance.
>The hobgoblins try to douse the flame, DM rolls, they fail.
>They try again and again, using hillgiants with huge barrels of water, all types of magic, failing the rolls every single time.
>The fire spreads until the entire wall surrounding the place is engulfed in flames, starting to collapse.
>After the devastation, the DM pulls out his calculator and does a few quick rolls.
>Tells me I just killed 158 men.

Alcohol kills.

Also, story thread I suppose.
>>
The question remains. Why didn't anyone else do this before?
>>
>>51669249
In the campaign or in general?
>>
I pulled some similar shenanigans playing a kobold rogue in Pathfinder. Small bandit camp with wooden walls, spiked at the top. One or two of the guards fell off trying to put out the fire and impaled themselves.
>>
>>51669144

>cheap whiskey
>generally 40-60% abv
>cheap whiskey is probably watered down further
>70% abv is roughly the minimum required for an alcohol solution to be ignitable

You know, pretty much no alcohol available to peasants at a local tavern has enough alcohol content to ignite. Certainly not the cheap stuff. You'd need high proof vodka or real eye-blinding moonshine at least, and for that you need some distillation equipment, which is risky business given that you're trying to refine alcohol to explosive solution levels.

And pouring alcohol onto logs would lead to some pretty rapid evaporation, since alcohol evaporates much faster than water. Kind of why molotovs aren't a slow-burn weapon, alcohol doesn't have a lot of staying power.
>>
>>51669851
I don't know where you got the 70% figure from, but it's bullshit. Alcohol will generally ignite from a flame if it's more than 100-proof (about 49.5% abv).
>>
>>51669952
Yeah, and the alcohol isn't meant to be the only thing burning, just more of a firestarter. Like lighterfluid.
>>
File: 1462411643309.jpg (94KB, 600x563px) Image search: [Google]
1462411643309.jpg
94KB, 600x563px
>>51669144
>Playing DnD
stopped reading
>>
File: snowflake-16236.jpg (119KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
snowflake-16236.jpg
119KB, 1920x1080px
>>51670131
Well look at you!
>>
>>51670131
>Wow I can;t wait to tell the guys at the quad how epicly i trolled the dnd nerds on an anime imageboard :^)

le ebin meme well deserved upvote
>>
>>51669144
>Tells me I just killed 158 men.
Yeah, good fucking job not checking if they had prisoners. How many hobgoblins though?
>>
>>51669144
>Buy 50 bottles of cheap whiskey, keep em in a bag of holding.
I'll take "things that never happened" for 20 dogecoins.
>>
Reminds me of the time my Strictly Ranger and the bloodrager in the party went to clear out a goblin camp on a job and he just lit one side magically while I lit the other side with tinder twigs. Whole camp went down in a hilarious gross slapstick chain of screaming and explosions. The dmpc which was characterized as a pretty bad person was a little too excited by the whole thing though...
>>
*Strix
>>
>>51669851
>Kind of why molotovs aren't a slow-burn weapon, alcohol doesn't have a lot of staying power.

Molotovs are filled with petrol, not alcohol.

You don't waste perfectly good booze making fire-bombs. You drink the booze first, THEN make the fire-bomb!
>>
>>51674467
This.
Somehow, the magically created water required a roll to put out a fire, despite being able to create gallons of it at a time, or the very least not contributing to a firebreak.
OP, saying "the DM rolled for it" is not enough to lend you any credence.
>>
>>51669851
The amusing part is I doubt OP knows, but medieval time spirits were commonly 150+ proof, while beer was often less than 4 proof.
If the DM knew this, yea, it would work, but most people don't know brewing habits from 500 years ago.
>>
>>51673325
We'd been in the fort earlier in the campaign, they didn't. It was just a place to hold a small army. It was pretty much just hobgoblins and trolls and such.

>>51676700
I don't know how he did it, he has a screen, and I've never DMed before. All I know is he said "You can see some figures come out and try to douse the flames with a spell...", I heard him roll a d20, and then say "Oh fuck".

>>51676723
While I certainly didn't know the actual numbers, I was aware that liquors of the time tended to be much stronger. And since the buying of the alcohol and the actual burning of the fort happened in two separate sessions, he probably looked up to see if it would work.

>>51674467
How is that the most out-there part of the story?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.