[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be a good system to play a Barsoom-ripoff science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: juskomars.jpg (183KB, 714x673px) Image search: [Google]
juskomars.jpg
183KB, 714x673px
What would be a good system to play a Barsoom-ripoff science fantasy game? Have you ever played in/gm'd a game in the science fantasy genre?
>>
>>51655055
Try G.U.R.P.S. or FATE.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (72KB, 576x377px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
72KB, 576x377px
OSR, why do you think Gygax initially named the 'Fighter' class as 'Fighting-Man'?

>>>/tg/osrg/
>>>/tg/osrg/
>>>/tg/osrg/
>>
File: WOTRP.jpg (1MB, 900x1332px) Image search: [Google]
WOTRP.jpg
1MB, 900x1332px
>>51656995
Thanks anon, you're a doll.
>>
File: lowres.png (1MB, 682x1050px) Image search: [Google]
lowres.png
1MB, 682x1050px
How about Talislanta?
>>
File: Appendix-N.jpg (400KB, 563x1291px) Image search: [Google]
Appendix-N.jpg
400KB, 563x1291px
>>51657306
The series was even on his 'Recommended Reading' list.
>>
>>51657339
I've checked it out some, though I haven't really familiarized myself with it. I was under the impression it was more old-school fantasy than what I was looking for. I'm unsure what edition i'd roll with if I tried it, but I love the thralls so much.
>>
File: Clockwork Limb.png (112KB, 354x628px) Image search: [Google]
Clockwork Limb.png
112KB, 354x628px
>>51657429
I think it is how you present it. Shouldn't be hard to paint more science into the magic.

And the source of the first magic was an UFO, the parts of which people still hunt and trade for.

People seem to favor 4th edition, followed by 2nd on /tg/, I like 5th.
>>
>>51657339
What's talislanta do well?
>>
>>51655055
Science-fantasy is a theme, and not even one that strictly defines a type of game, and so it's hard to recommend anything specific.

If your criteria is only "science fantasy" I'd go with generic, like SW (Savage Rifts should have lots of support for weird science fantasy stuff).
>>
>>51658432
Cool stuff and wandering adventures.

Putting it together is your problem
>>
>>51655055

Hollow Earth Expedition with the martian splatbook. Pulpy, system is a little funky but I enjoy it, and has all the bits and bobs to build Barsoom.

Otherwise, Barbarians of Lemuria. Strip the setting and write your own fluff.
>>
>>51660751
>Hollow Earth Expedition

Never heard of that one.
>>
>>51658432
Everything.
>>
>>51664729
Sales pitch me on it.
>>
>>51664763

Talislanta is a D20 system. Not the D20 system you know. It's a relatively lightweight, 'weird fantasy' setting. Where D&D draws on the mythos of Tolkien, Howard, Vance Lieber and Moorcock for its formative influence, Tal draws on Clark Ashton Smith, M John Harrison, Vance and a few others.

Aggressive marketing in the 80's started a meme that makes salty fatbabies flail their wattles in rage ("NO ELVES!"), but they're being salty fatbabies. Head over to Talislanta.com, the entire game line is released for free. 2nd edition or 3rd edition (cleaned up 2nd edition) are what you want.

It would be good for a Barsoom game because the combat is quick, the setting is just the right amount of exotic, and players can be Big Damn Heroes without breaking the universe.
>>
for something that is actually designed for doing that genre, there's Under the Moons of Zoon

>>http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/119991/Under-the-Moons-of-Zoon
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.