[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pbta, dungeon world, world of dungeons, apocalypse world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: WoD_1A4.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
WoD_1A4.pdf
1B, 486x500px
For people who have really played it:
Isn't the partial success on a 7-9 too broad?

Being 2d6 + mod (0 to 3), this makes the partial success the most probable outcome to appear all around.

I'm about to start a campaign of pic related, but i was thinking of lowering the partial success to 7 and 8, because it seems weird to me that is so hard to score a full success, even for characters with a solid +2 strenght
>>
>>51642265
Partial successes being very common is fully intended.

Moves are supposed to snowball, and they snowball more easily if they have unintended consequences.
>>
>>51642265
>>51642317
this, partial success creates new problems and keeps the conflict going without having the PCs suck at everything
>>
>>51642433
>>51642317
It sounds reasonable, but in your experience, does it get weird or tiresome on the table?
>>
>>51642584
In Dungeon World, it does, but only because the moves are shoddily designed.
In Apocalypse World, it never did.

I haven't played World of Dungeons yet, but since it doesn't even define moves, it will be heavily, if not solely, dependent on the GM
>>
Posting the official sequel. There is something i don't like much about it, but has some good improvements. The removal of skills is the most important
>>
I've been playing a campaign with WoD.

So far, I think I've been giving my players a fair deal with the partial successes.

You just have to get used to establishing what a "partial" success is supposed to in terms of retribution or an incomplete desired outcome.
>>
>>51642265
General question to ask about WoD. For dual-wielding with a small weapon off-hand and a martial weapon in the main hand, do you ask the player to roll 2d6+1 with the option to reroll damage, or do you ask them to roll 1d6+1 with the option to reroll damage?
>>
>>51646255
I'd go 1d6+1 with a reroll, largely so its not 100% always better than anything else and because if its doing odnd references weapon damage was always a d6 with mods.
>>
>>51646255
>>51646369

Official rules as written: 1d6+1 and a reroll.

My rule: You keep the second result.
>>
>>51646369
>>51646404
All right, thanks guys
>>
That's the challenge with DW, very simple mechanics, but coming up with consequences all the time keeps you on your toes. You don't have to do much prep, but it takes a lot of creativity and improv.

I think every DM should run a narrative game a few times, even if you like crunch.
>>
>>51646404
>keep the second roll
Nice. I like how it makes risk management more part of that. I will probably steal this.
>>
How well does DW run? I have a new group and somebody may be running it. I've dealt with mostly D20 systems and stuff like that, and this is nothing like that. Any advice?
>>
>>51647906
It's okay but some classes are just straight up broken, like the bard.

Your DM better be great if you want to have fun
>>
>>51647906
Don't focus too much on what your sheet says, think about what you want to do. The DM will ask you to roll moves when they come up.
Describing texture of your combat is important because hack&slash is going to be happening a lot, the more you describe and ask about terrain and details, the more there is to work with.
Don't try and make a character build. Its not for that.
>>
>>51647906

I ran it and I gotta say as long as the DM follows the rules and pushes the DM moves and stuff hard, it makes for a fast, exciting game.
On those sessions where I kinda let the DM rules sliip and just ran it like I would some other games, it kinda felt mushy, so tell your DM not do that.
>>
>>51648014
>>51648049
>>51648190
Thanks, guys. Two of the people have never played a tabletop game before, so I'm hoping they will be alright with all the details. The only narrative heavy game I played before I was DMing, and it was very rough. I'm hoping it'll be okay. If it goes terribly, I'll just offer to run D&D 5e.
>>
>>51642711
Can you run Apocalypse World in a fantasy setting? I always wanted to play it after hearing about how DW had some issues describing its moves, but the post-apoc setting isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
>>51648477
>I always wanted to play it after hearing about how DW had some issues describing its moves

Don't let /tg/ scare you off, fa/tg/uys tend to be crazy hyperbolic about shit. You have to take their complaints with about a pound of salt. DW is not perfect, but it gets the job done pretty well IMO.
>>
>>51648477
I think that you can but the reason they made DW was for that purpose, so you could just give it a try. WoD is better though, although the DM needs to be very competent.
>>
>>51648477
There's a bunch of options. Fellowship is trying to do a lotr fantasy. I really like Streets of Marienberg for gritty warhammer fantasy, there's World of Conan for swords and sorcery sort of stuff, Knives In The Dark for magic street gangs and heists, and the Dark Age playtest off the top of my head. Oh and Perilous Wilds/Freebooters On The Frontier for making DW different.

lots of fantasy is post apocalyptic
>>
>>51642265

It's the point of the game. Really.

(at least in AW, never read WOD)

>>51648477

You mean aside from "ok, the Gunslugger actually has a Spear of Badassness instead of a Rifle of Badassness" and shit like that?

Actually... yeah, but I don't think it would work that well for your usual standards of fantasy. See, AW is kinda like picturing a small-ish community relatively self-contained, not really an adventuring band of murderhobos/heroes in a greater world.
So, yeah, fantasy, but probably not the fantasy you think of.

Also, DW moves are easy peasy to describe. But who knows, maybe you'd like Fellowship or Blades in the Dark more.
>>
>>51648477
There's an apocalypse world write up by the guy who made it that's more focused on a fantasy world in decline instead modern post apocalypse. Otherwise dungeon world, world of dungeons or Fellowship might be worth a shot
>>
>>51648477

there is an official unfinished beta for that; see pic related. I've never used it, though

4chan don't let me post, so here it is: apocalypse-world.com/AW2ndEdFallenEmpiresPreview.pdf
>>
>>51650331
I have. It works great.
>>
>>51642265
>Being 2d6 + mod (0 to 3), this makes the partial success the most probable outcome to appear all around.
That's the point. Characters in ApoWorld games are capable, but faulty. They struggle, but ultimately succeed (well not always, sometimes they just die like dogs on back alley).
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.