[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CHAOS DUNGEON

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 99800201034_ChaosFamiliars01.jpg (37KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
99800201034_ChaosFamiliars01.jpg
37KB, 600x620px
So i'm thinking of making and RPG/SKIRMISH board game called ''CHAOS DUNGEON'' where players only control 4-8 units and they are all familiars. Think necromunda meet gorkamorka with a salting of D&D but only with familiars.

Essentially there would be a long list of familiar types, and a rough idea of what they look like, more melee focused ones and magic/ range/ tricksters/stealthies ect ect

Also i'd lay out a framework for those wanting to create their own familiar class, but it would be built in a way to make the class more likely underpowered than overpowered.

The storyline would be that somewhere in one of the worlds during one of the times of the chaos gods there was a dungeon. This is were outcast familiars would go, and where young and fresh ones would go to train. A sort of optional prision under a spotlight where hopefully they can catch the attention of a god or anything bigger than them to serve.

The basic gameplay would be warband style

They're just brilliant and cheap models and I thought it'd be fun to give them a proper use, also brilliantly cheap. £8 and a bitz box and you've got more than 2 teams. Extra points for retro models.

Obviously i'd make it free, who would be interested?

but more importantly who has good ideas?

Cisaro
>>
>>51638810

I'd play it. Seems like a good excuse to dive into the bits bin and start putting stuff together.
>>
>>51638810
>Also i'd lay out a framework for those wanting to create their own familiar class, but it would be built in a way to make the class more likely underpowered than overpowered

Problem with this is you would pigeon hold people into less than a handful familiar builds, making there almost be no point in doing it at all
>>
>>51639698

Could just introduce a whole cast of characters to choose from every conceivable archetype of familiar and make more when approached with new ideas.
>>
>>51638810
I call naked catgril
>>
Sounds interesting. With such small scale teams, I feel like you need to make combat interesting. I think it would be cool, if it was written that all of the familiars are magically linked to each other, that they would share a pool of dice that you would have to somehow pass between pools to use.

Like, each character puts d6s, d8s, or d10s into your die pool, and then as you either start each round, or through spending the dice, they move between 2 or 3 pools (attack, defense, utility?)

Now that I've typed this all out, I realize that I want something that plays somewhere inbetween monsterpocalypse and dreamblade, and it might not be a good fit for the theme, but there you go.
>>
Looking at your idea here, what would you think of putting a sort of dark cartoony vibe on it? Sort of a Kobolds ate my baby/Zap paranoia feel. All across this twisting ever shifting labyrinth of madness and mystery, these little blighters are gleefully tearing into each other using tricks, traps, and whatever random weapons (read: junk) they can find. With this sort of feeling in mind, games should be fast and punchy, with plenty of opportunity for competitive mayhem and violence, while keeping the rules light and flexible. Onepageanon's work comes to mind, but the relatively sterile nature of said work seems to be something one would want to avoid if going down this path.

Sorry for my rambling, the thought just crossed my mind. In other words however, I would love to play something like this! Especially considering I got the Silver Tower Familiars on me.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (50KB, 651x522px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
50KB, 651x522px
>>51639698
True perhaps you're right, i shall reconsider. Though i am striving for fun/humour more so than a power trip. For example some of the classes with have unhinged style text. For example: some familiars shall be so weak and pathetic that the only reason for taking them will be so make it more impressiver/funnier when you win.

>>51639648
Yes, what is and what is not a familiar is pretty vague, also got a great idea of snotlings and grots with green stuff'd cloaks and ect to make many more familiars.

>>51640011
Yes this was the basic plan i was going for as some of the models really suggest a certain type of class

>>51641229
Yes making the combat interesting shall be the main feat, partly why i posted was for ideas on that. Certainly perma death/damage/ injury was going to be a part of it to heighten risk.

---i like the dice idea a lot, certainly using dice to give a base level of ''moves'' at the start of a turn would be fun.
>>
>>51641334
those silver tower familiars are lovely. Could you give me a quick review of ST, pros and cons? ( if you've played that is)

Certainly have a dark cartoony vibe, though not too cartoony to simplify.

---A big question i'd like ot ask is... Has this been done before?
>>
>>51641437
Dreamblade is thematically a bit similar, as you play a powerful mage-dude, and your units are all of your summons.

As for the mechanics, we haven't seen anything about mechanics, but there's no shortage of free minis games like warstuff where you can just look at the model and kinda wing some stats for how it behaves, so partially? That's why I think it should behave very differently, just so it doesn't get lost as chaff.
>>
>>51641437
Of course not to simplify it, just enough to convey that this might be less than serious business for those that aren't familiars.

Unfortunately, I'm still painting the creatures of the Silver Tower, and trying to find a time for me and the lads to get together and play the game. So I wouldn't be able to tell you in any shape or form.

And to answer your big question, most likely. However, it hasn't been done in the manner you'll implement it, nor with quite the same themes or setting, nor will it provide the same experience. Remember, if you change something 20%, it will still be something fresh and interesting. So like I said, this could have been done some place in time, but it doesn't really matter; it's your project and no one could have possibly made the EXACT same thing. So don't worry about it!
>>
>>51638810
Bump for interest

Hows the rules coming along?
>>
>>51638810
reminder that GW has a catgirl model
>>
>>51644147
so, can I use that for a Felinid army then?
>>
>>51644217
It's not a big guy
It's very small
>>
File: gallery_48934_4055_5589.jpg (52KB, 800x426px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_48934_4055_5589.jpg
52KB, 800x426px
>>51643910

At the moment there are no rules, no pdf and list.

What there is, is an overview of what I want from the game, a proposal for how i'm going to do it. Then ideas for classes/ weapons/spells - gameplay mechanic ( In list form )

Also a lot of story/context ect.

I'm not comfortable posting these yet until i've polished it all up a bit. This post was intended to spark conversation and ideas for us to exchange and incorporate.

I shall keep updating and checking this page, when it goes, i shall make a new one and save ALL comments and suggestions people make.

In the meantime a few questions i'd like to ask you guys are.

-What would be the best time for this to take place?

-Should it be just a simple dungeon, or more of a mental dungeon. As in the scenery and board would not be limited to stone walls, planes of reality inside slaanesh with tits and phallic towers everywhere with some sort of bizzare pink/metalic floor. A vast desert full of osais of blood and skulls for the inside the mind of Khorne ect.

Ideas for weapons and spells and classes?
I've got a LOT of ideas here, but tell me what you guys thinking.

Just to remind you, i intend it to be very dark in content with a lot comedy in terms of the text and unit rules ect. Outrageous paint schemes and conversions would be encouraged.

In the meantime, anybody know a way to get hold of these models, the one in the middle most importantly.
>>
>>51638810
Are those models any good? The little wooden puppet's cute.
>>
>>51644254
Well, you have the indomitable resource of bored fat guys who like your idea at your disposal. Could help lighten the load
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.