[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Systems for epic fantasy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_7.png (137KB, 535x551px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_7.png
137KB, 535x551px
What're some good systems that could be used for high flying, high power fantasy settings? I know Exalted is one but I was planning on doing my own thing.
>>
Legends of the Wulin, while built for Wuxia stuff, is a solid system for anything involving high action combat. It's an unusual system, made harder to get into by an awfully edited and laid out core book, but when you get the system running smoothly it's fucking sublime.
>>
>>51637052

Second LotW. Godbound is good too.
>>
What level artifact would you call a moonsilver artifact weapon that can shape shift into any mundane weapon of excellent quality? 2nd edition exalted
>>
Anima

Or GURPS
>>
>>51639964

I've played quite a bit of Anima recently, and while I like a lot of it it's such an incoherent and unfocused system.

It's a game that's clearly about over the top supernatural action... Where expressing anything supernatural is severely punished in the setting. And the injury mechanics are astonishingly slow and brutal, rewarding and encouraging ultra-conservative fighting rather than actually engaging in the over the top action the system is built for.

I still enjoy it, but the system never really seems to know what it wants to be, and of the several possible interpretations it undermines all of them at one point or another, through fluff and mechanics.
>>
>>51637085
Thirding LotW. It's pretty easy to refluff fighting styles to less-Wuxia style.
>>
>>51639986
In the course of my Anima history I've had someone suplex an Ancient Dragon onto a church, a Jackie Chan clone win against an army, pirates crushed because the Mentalist decided to teleport their boat out from under them to over them, a Weaponmaster Orbital Warhammer Strike on a Cthon, and a Warlock who made flintlocks that shot his spells as beams and proceeded to go DANMAKU against The Prince of Crows.

Maybe it's a player thing...
>>
File: GURPS.jpg (296KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.jpg
296KB, 1920x1080px
>>51639964
which gurps
>>
>>51637085
How simple/complex and fast/slow is the combat system?
>>
>>51645341

LotW is a crunchy, meaty combat system. I love it as it's incredibly mechanically satisfying, but if you're looking for something light it isn't the game for you.

It is unique in how it goes about it, though. Whereas most crunchy systems focus on mechanical granularity or simulation of specific actions, LotW focuses more on the flow, feel and theme of a high flying Wuxia battle. There are still plenty of options and interesting ways to interact with the combat, but they're left relatively abstract, with how you choose to fluff and describe them actually having a notable mechanical influence on the combat itself.
>>
>>51639986
Just don't play in the main setting. It's shit. Or change it.

If you read the lore literally everyone is throws thunderbolts from their asses ignoring the prohibition because "lol imma saint" anyways. And half of the world seems to not be so much into persecuting supers if you read the Gaia books.
>>
File: GURPS.png (512KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.png
512KB, 900x300px
>>51645287
GURPS 4e Dungeon Fantasy is what OP's looking for. Pretty self contained, and requires use of the GURPS Basic Set and minimal use of GURPS Magic. Fits the high fantasy and high powered setting well
>>
>>51642797

It might be our GM. Half the time someone tries something super ridiculous he makes the consequences of failure super, super harsh, generally not death but having to sit on the sidelines healing for ages, which is no fun at all.
>>
>>51645375
It looks interesting, but also like the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

I'm deep into an anima campaign (as DM) and while we all enjoy it the combats can last for hours.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.