[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to Pathfinder. Tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 453
Thread images: 28

Hey all, one of my friends is going to be running a pathfinder game soon and I've heard mixed messages about the system. I'm used to playing D&D 5th edition and so far it seems a lot more crunchy but generally the same. My main question is for character creation. Is it really as unbalanced as people say here or is it just a meme? We are probably going to be playing at the lower levels are there certain classes that I should avoid?

>TL;DR Tips for a Pathfinder Newbie who's mostly played 5E
>>
>>51632573
Also, is caster supremacy really that bad? I'd really like to play a martial class.
>>
>>51632573
Don't play Pathfinder.
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 2.jpg (606KB, 1363x1406px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 2.jpg
606KB, 1363x1406px
>>51632573
Go back to playing 5e.
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 3.jpg (1MB, 1688x2696px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 3.jpg
1MB, 1688x2696px
>>51632607
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 4.png (147KB, 1411x805px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 4.png
147KB, 1411x805px
>>51632623
>>
>>51632573
It should be fine, especially if your group isn't all that guys looking for broken builds online.

I generally restrict my players when they're new to the system to the core and advanced players guide, but that's just because I've seen people get lost with all the options of all the books.
>>
File: Pathfinder sucks 5.jpg (1MB, 1668x3437px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder sucks 5.jpg
1MB, 1668x3437px
>>51632642
>>
>>51632573
Play Synthesist Summoner. They're one of the few cool things to come out of Pathfinder.
>>
>>51632573
>We are probably going to be playing at the lower levels are there certain classes that I should avoid?
All of the Core classes, all of the Base classes, all of the Alternate classes, all of the Hybrid classes and all of the Unchained classes.
>>
>>51632695
Also any of the races that have words in their description.
>>
File: 1462477225093.jpg (28KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1462477225093.jpg
28KB, 350x335px
>>51632695
It's funny because it's true.
>>
any help aside from "Don't play pathfinder" all my friends like it a lot more than 5E. We are all fairly new to the system so no one is going to try to break anything on purpose.
>>
>>51632797
Get new friends.
>>
>>51632805
Ah, so it is just all memes then or do you have any actual problems with the system?
>>
>>51632797
You don't need to be a horrible powergamer to break Pathfinder and make it shitty. Shittiness is inherent in the system, it was built like that on purpose.
>>
>>51632797
That doesn't matter at all. My group didn't break anything on purpose either, yet half the group ended up feeling utterly useless, despite the DM's best efforts..
>>
>>51632860
That either means you're lying or your GM is actually mentally deficient.
>>
You know, I don't like Pathfinder either guys but if you could avoid whipping out your dicks and furiously jerking each other off about how much you hate Pathfinder when someone's asking for help that'd be great.

As for OP, if you're a lower level then it's not a huge problem, most of the big imbalances come in in the late game but here's a thing to remember about this and all other systems. Unless you're playing with a bunch of irredeemable cunts then it's not going to be a big deal. If your character ends up too weak speak to your GM about rebuilding or ways that you could be buffed.

If you want a hand building a character then I'd be more than happy to help, what kind of character are you wanting to play thematically?
>>
>>51632695
So just Occult classes then? Got it.
>>
>>51632821
Worst community, the Race and Class options have to be broken up into tiers by the meta just so you can all play on "equal" ground, found what few roleplayers that hadn't been ruined by 3.5 and finished the job, and theater of the mind isn't an option for combat.

It's just so utterly flawed that merely playing it breaks the game, and it continues to get worse all the time.
>>
>>51632797
it's DnD, just roll characters have fun

I usually run the adventure paths since they're fun, they re-published Rise of the Runelords as a hardcover of all 6 parts of the adventure.
>>
>>51632874
I see Pathfinder Internet Defense Force has arrived. How's your day? Spent jerking off to kitsunes like usual?
>>
>>51632884
Haven't read the Occult classes yet, but I wouldn't count on first-party material being any good.
>>
>>51632898
Excellent counterpoint!
>>
>>51632573
You're probably going to be fine desu, depends on if you want to jump into the deep end and allow everything or restrict it to the hardbacks (Core Rulebook, Ultimates, ACG, Unchained, etc.)

I'd recommend the latter personally, it gives you options without being inundated with all the splatbooks. If you want a basic primer on the rules also download the Strategy Guide (don't buy it, it's a shit book for anyone who isn't completely new), or get a module with premade characters.
>>
>>51632898
No, I agree pathfinder is a terribly designed game. However I stand by my statement in that I myself have ran games for years where diverse parties all felt as if they were contributing. Either your GM has no idea how to bring a party together or someone in your party was purposefully trying to invalidate people and not fessing up to it.

I hate the game, but you're still incorrect here.

Heck especially below level 7.
>>
>>51632797
You're not going to get much helpful advice with the strength of the Pathfinder Bad meme here. Some martial characters are fine as long as you're not playing with powergaming sperglords. Slayer's pretty hard to fuck up with, so that might be a good jumping off point for a new player.
>>
>>51632879
I'm not sure yet, I was leaning more towards a martial class, but have heard terrible things about the magic being far superior in Pathfinder. But nothing concrete yet because I'm waiting for the GM to tell us more about the setting so I know what kind of character would be appropriate for the kind of game we are running.
>>
>>51632954
I second this, Slayer is a really cool class that has a lot of flexibility and is relatively simple.
>>
>>51632911
Counterpoint to what? To your autistic screeching and flailing your arms around?
3.5 is shit, but you can excuse WoTC for it - they didn't know what the fuck they're doing. Articles they wrote reek of naive stupidity, where they boast that monk is their best designed class, since it has no dead levels and there's an "exciting feature" beyond every corner.
Paizo looked at all the mistakes of 3.5 and said: "We don't need to learn from this or improve upon this game's failings. We'll do everything in the exact same way on purpose". Paizo's incompetence is not born of naivety, but of malice.

And if there's something worse than the mechanics of Pathfinder, it's its fanbase, filled with weebs and degenerates, jacking off to monster girls and underage anime girls. Just one glance upon /pfg/ is enough to see everything your community has to offer.
>>
How is Monk in Pathfinder? I love the concept but found the class a little weak in 5E.
>>
File: 1486132920457.png (221KB, 720x1368px) Image search: [Google]
1486132920457.png
221KB, 720x1368px
>>51632957
>>
>>51632990
We'd love to say that we have good news for you.
>>
>>51632990
Core monk is shit. Some archetypes are fantastic. Unchained monk is alright.
>>
>>51632957
Casters with 9th level spells *can* break the game, but that really more due to select spells that people love to abuse than the fact that they're casters. Plus there's plenty of casters with 6th level spells that are well-balanced and fun to play, plus they're usually decent martials to boot.
>>
So here is some actual advice.

Encounter design is relatively difficult in pathfinder as is. DSP's Path of War makes encounter design much more difficult due to their assumptions on how character defense should work.

Instead I point you towards Legendary Game's work on Legendary Rogue, Legendary Vigilante, and the like. They help make martials more interesting. If you head over to Pathfinder General there is a guy who has designed an Unchained Cavalier/Fighter/Gunslinger that make all three classes much more interesting and balanced in terms of campaign effectiveness.

Next is play below level 7. After level 7 once 4th and 5th level spells come into play full casters begin to outpace martials in out of combat utility to the point it needs to be addressed separately.

Next is don't let people bend the rules to walk all over the game, think through the consequences of spells. An example if Charm Person. Charm Person is not mind control despite how some people treat it. After it runs out the person knows you cast it on them as well. Think through the consequences of spells like these. Know that people are aware when they are forced to make a saving throw.

To summarize:
>use legendary games and /pfg/'s unchained martial homebrews to supplement martials
>play below level 7 if you can
>don't let players bend the rules to walk all over you
>think through the player's tools when designing encounters
>>
>>51632995
People also pedal this picture even though it was purposefully made as a joke since essentially none of those work on a dragon.
>>
>>51632990
Unchained Monk fixed a lot of monk's problems. Base monk is really bad. However it is what is called "tier 4". Meaning it does it's job well, but can't branch out into other jobs easily.
>>
>>51633045
> Being this autistic
>>
>>51632573
First of all OP, I'm terribly sorry you came here seeking actual help and advice, that's not what /tg/ is for. /tg/ is a circlejerk for people who hate whatever you like, regardless of what it is. If you had posted a question about 5E an equal number of basement dwelling trogs would have stampeded over, dicks in hard, tripping over each other to tell you how much 5E sucks and how hard you need to kill yourself.

So let me help you out instead. Pathfinder is like 5E but with more rules. Both games can trace themselves back to 3.5 but Pathfinder is a hydra-like bud that grew off and detached itself from 3.5. It has some differences but they are not as drastic as what 5E did.

Pathfinders lack of balance is an intrinsic part of that D&D DNA that traces its twisted path all the way back to the original White Box, only made worse as wizards and sorcerers where given more and more buffs so they couldn't keel over from a slight breeze at early levels. At tenth level a fighter can make up to three attacks on a turn assuming he does nothing else and if he's lucky, might kill one monster. At tenth level a wizard can fireball an entire room and then phase himself into the Ethereal plane the next and run the hell away.

Then you have clerics and druids which at high levels can caste powerful defensive spells, but can also heal themselves and others, and can wear armor and are pretty decent at melee combat.

As a first time player my advice is to stay away from the Rogue as there is another class out there that can do what it does better. It's a sad fact. I would also avoid the Core Monk as it's pathetically inferior to the Unchained Monk. Hybrid classes are wonky if you don't have familiarity with the mechanics of the two classes it combines, and Occult classes should be avoided as they are just strange. If you want to play a caster, go with Sorcerer.
>>
>>51633074
No, literally the picture was made to fuck with people and bait people because most of the listed effects don't work on dragons.
>>
>>51632954
>Slayer's pretty hard to fuck up with, so that might be a good jumping off point for a new player.
If you're playing with friends who understand that this is a cooperative game and that the goal is fun rather than breaking the system or being the main character, then the above is the only useful information you're going to find in this thread. Roll up a slayer, ignore the naysaying chimps, and have fun.
>>
>>51632573

Don't.

Play literally anything else.

You will thank me for this later
>>
>>51632879
>You know, I don't like Pathfinder either guys but if you could avoid whipping out your dicks and furiously jerking each other off about how much you hate Pathfinder when someone's asking for help that'd be great.

Well, it's like someone asking what's the best way to break his toe with a hammer and everyone tells him that's stupid and he shouldn't do it but then some cuck waltzes in talking about how breaking your toe with a hammer is a perfectly acceptable passtime and that anysayers should stop being judgemental.
>>
>>51633106
> Being THIS autistic
You don't get it, do you.
>>
File: tumblr_lwudgwhIJv1qh87wbo1_1280.jpg (67KB, 680x473px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lwudgwhIJv1qh87wbo1_1280.jpg
67KB, 680x473px
>>51633115
>>
OP I really hope you show this thread to your group.
>>
File: 1444934557210.jpg (22KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1444934557210.jpg
22KB, 480x480px
To everyone saying "Don't play pathfinder" what do you recommend instead?
>>
>>51633123
Ok, what do I not get. The fact the picture is serving its purpose by fucking with me.
>>
>>51633096
>As a first time player my advice is to stay away from the Rogue
Oh man, I had actually forgotten just awful the core rogue is. This is really great advice. If you like playing a sneaky guy, don't pick the rogue, because if you want to actually do anything with what the rogue gives you, you'll just be disappointed as a beginner.
>>
>>51633144
I already have. The reactions are mixed.
>>
>>51633163
Really depends on the kind of game you want.
>>
>>51633180
fantasy. just shoot out anything Fantasy and what they are good for.
>>
>>51633163
5e, allow Homebrew under DM's scrutiny if the lack of options is killing you. /r/UnearthedArcana for options.(because /tg/ doesn't get Shit done anymore)
>>
>>51633163
DnD 5e. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e. I've heard good things about Lamentations of the Flame Princess, but I can't vouch for it.
>>
>>51633164
>Bring this autistic.
My God you're dense.
>>
>>51633163
I'd recommend playing We Be Goblins and seeing how you like that.
>>
>>51633164
It's not literally a dragon. It's a picture that's supposed to symbolize an encounter, a challenge. It could be a beholder or a bandit, or any monster at all.
>>
File: bait.gif (686KB, 199x199px) Image search: [Google]
bait.gif
686KB, 199x199px
>>51633220
>>
>>51633163
If he already knows 5e, he can stick with that if he just wants some uncomplicated beer&pretzels gaming.
For more crunchy stuff, there's quite a few Fantasy Heartbreakers that tackle the issue in different ways. Fantasy Craft is pretty good and people know a thing or two about it.
If you want to go grittier, you should leave the d20 behind. d100 games work great here, like Runequest 6. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1 or 2 is also an option.
High Fantasy can also be covered by superhero systems, more narrative bends are covered by 13th age (although most narrative games are simply generic, which is enough).
Maybe someone managed to do a fantasy PbtA game that's not Dungeon World.
>>
>>51633191
I like exalted. The balance is fucked, but it at least agrees to be honest about it. You know the solar is better. The mechanics are simple at it's core and it is incredibly easy to spot the problem players from character creation. Just look for characters that have 5 dots in dex and 5 in one combat skills, 0 in all other combat skills, one perfect defense charm and 4/5ths of all the skills are at 0 dots. Or something along those lines.
>>
>>51633163

Fantasycraft
Torchbearer
Castles and Crusades
>>
>>51633163
Oh and of course there's the OSR which has a quite active thread on this board
>>
>>51633163
Anima
>>
>>51633252
I strongly argue against exalted. it's more autistic than even pathfinder.

>>51633191
What sub genre of fantasy, there are a lot with a lot of different assumptions.

>>51633206
Gonna say LotFP is god awful.

WHF has a lot of its own issues and does not give the same game experience in the slightest to pathfinder or most D&D games.
>>
>>51633163
Symbaroum
>>
>>51633237
No, I was literally in the thread where that picture was made. It was hand crafted as a troll picture to fuck with people. It's original purpose was to fuck with people.
>>
File: Bishop.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>51633309
Jesus Christ, you are a moron after all.
>>
>>51633282
>>51633292
We don't want weeb shit. We are just looking for something easy to pick up but deep enough for last as long as possible without having to resort to third party/homebrew material to fix issues
>>
>>51633316
Ok, please tell me why. I am not arguing that the wizard's tool box is not both larger and more able to deal with varied encounters. I'm saying that the picture you used in particular was made as a troll picture on /tg/.
>>
>>51632990
Unchained Monk is great if you want to punch people really hard a whole bunch. We're approaching the end of a Rise of the Runelords campaign and our party monk is capable of busting out nine attacks a round, 6 of which are at full BAB.
>>
>>51633332
>>51633316
I appreciate the bumps but could you faggots fucking knock it off?
>>
>>51633163
>>51633328
Gurps(3d6 roll under - the system)
sticking to 5e
Dnd 4e (heard good stuff)
Challenger(free rpg on drivetrhru)
>>51633309
You are fucking with people
not the picture
>>
>>51633328
Do you want High Fantasy, Low Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, High Magic, Low Magic. Be more specific because systems have different assumptions.
>>
>>51633332
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOU'RE ONE AUTISTIC TWAT.
>>
>>51633348
>Dnd 4e (heard good stuff)
Try to be a little less obvious with the bait, anon.
>>
>>51633357
>>51633316
>>51633123
>>51633074
Ok, not the guy, but what are you trying to say here?
>>
>>51633351
how about your top picks for Low Fantasy and High.
>>
>>51633357
I count three different people arguing with this autist. Are we being baited? I feel like I've been baited.
>>
>>51633373
Now do you mean the classic definition of low & high fantasy or the popculture definition?
>>
>>51633369
That the dragon doesn't literally represent a dragon, it represents a tough encounter. Being anal about the fact that some of those things don't work on a dragon specifically is missing the forest for the trees.
>>
>>51633373
> Low fantasy
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e.
Torchbearer

> High fantasy
DnD 5e.
>>
>>51633376
Wait, what are you even arguing about? He's saying "that picture is correct, but was made to trigger people with the dragon". Is that incorrect? Is the picture not correct at all? Is it correct? I'm confused.
>>
>>51633163
D&D 5e, D&D 4e, B/X or similar retroclones, The Black Hack, Searchers of the Unknown, AD&D, Heroes & Other Worlds.

Those are assuming you want stereotypical D&D fare.

>>51633191
>just shoot out anything Fantasy
Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Terra Primate with Dungeons & Zombies, Mutants & Masterminds/DC Adventures.
>>
>>51633369
He's just shitposting to get a rise out of easily baited anons. It's as simple as shooting fish in a barrel since we're obviously in a troll thread anyways.
>>
>>51633379
He means the best rpgs
low fantasy goes to gurps and wfrp
high fantasy goes to dnd 5e/4
>>
File: 1477534104465.jpg (7KB, 261x159px) Image search: [Google]
1477534104465.jpg
7KB, 261x159px
>>51633379
Can I just get some good systems and I'll sort it out later?
>>
>>51633387
No, you don't understand what I am saying.

You are seeing it as that. Which it could easily represent that, and is correct if you take it as that. The image conveys a correct statement in that context.

HOWEVER, when the picture was originally made the creator of the picture put the dragon in an attempt to trigger people. Literally was the stated purpose of putting a dragon there.

I am not saying the picture is incorrect, I am saying the picture was designed to start arguments about the fact that half of those don't work on a dragon.

If taken in the context of dragon merely represents an encounter you are entirely correct. However a dragon picture was used by the creator for the stated purpose of trying to trigger people and start arguments. I am not saying this out of an assumption, but literally it was stated by the creator in the thread where that picture was made. That image originates on /tg/.
>>
>>51633441
> Literally being this dense
>>
File: 1479429908218.png (19KB, 481x383px) Image search: [Google]
1479429908218.png
19KB, 481x383px
>>51633394
>>51633388
>>51633351
>>51633343
>>51633249
>>51633096

For those who actually tried to help where is a less autistic place I can go to discuss table top games?
>>
>>51633462
No. /tg/ is actually the best place I've ever seen, which is saying a lot about every other place.
It might have something to do with tabletop hobby attracting antisocial autists.
>>
>>51632797
Get better friends.
>>
>>51633462
Reddit. Maybe. It's better than this thread at least. You might even be able to get actual answers.
>>
>>51633459
What in what I stated was wrong. I am saying your interpretation is correct, but the creator of that picture was attempting to trigger people with how he presented it.
>>
>>51633462
Reddit, GITP. You're not going to have fun playing with your group though.
>>
File: ive had enough.png (768KB, 586x795px) Image search: [Google]
ive had enough.png
768KB, 586x795px
>>51633495
> When meme's so extreme, you let out a scream
>>
>>51633497
He very well might. I have had fun playing pathfinder with my buddies for years.
>>
>>51633495
Right, as is most Shit posted on here. It doesn't make it any less right, or you any less of an absolute fuckwit for going. This. Far.
>>
>>51633497
> GITP
> LESS autistic than /tg/
Anon, I...
>>
>>51633482
>>51633497
I don't know, they are alot less autistic then you guys.
>>
>>51633516
>>51633507
>>51633495
>>51633441
Gotta say, from where I'm sitting you all look about equally autistic. If anything I am siding with trigger anon.
>>
>>51633462
Stop trying to make strangers on the internet talk you into/out of playing a fucking tabletop RPG anon. Give pathfinder a try. Run an AP so you don't have to invest too much into worldbuilding. If you have fun, great, if you don't try something else. You've got some good suggestions here (I especially like the suggestion of running a slayer, it's a very newbie friendly class) so run with them.
>>
>>51633544
I was merely looking for advice from the more experienced players, but it seems /tg/ was too unwilling to see past edition bias for that.
>>
>>51633462
>>51633544
This guy is right. Try an AP.
>>
We need more shitposting! This thread is only at 105 posts, we need to either get bump limit or get this thread deleted.
>>
>>51633596
Sorry that mention pathfinder triggered you so hard.
>>
>>51633571
>I was merely looking for advice from the more experienced players
Then go back to the catalog and search for /pfg/. Everybody in there hates pathfinder too, but they'll actually offer you suggestions beyond just screetching "NEVER PATHFINDER" like a pack of shit flinging monkeys.
>>
>>51633544
I am willing to give at least some advice.

Generally it takes someone with system mastery to break a full caster because otherwise they won't be able to use their spells/choose spells in a manner that is optimal. However there are some big offender spells like Invisibility which make the rogue, for instance, have a much harder time keeping up on stealth.

On a whole I say below level 7 you'll be fine as long as no one in your group is trying to break the game. If a particular spell is hurting the game then look it over and rebalance it. Head over to /pfg/ and ask about it and they might be able to help you.

Generally mentioning pathfinder outside of /pfg/ will cause this reaction. On /pfg/ you'll likely get people telling you that the edition isn't worth it mixed with advice.
>>
>>51633462
If you ACTUALLY wanted to talk about Pathfinder, you should've posted in /pfg/.
>>
>>51633163
M&M 3e.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279503-D-amp-D-in-M-amp-M-a-new-approach-to-rebalancing-3-5-PF

It's great, as long as you don't actively try to break the system and work with your DM to make the character you want, not just a character sheet.
>>
>>51633788
No, if they posted in /pfg/ he would've talked obout furry traps.
>>
>Play Pathfinder every weekend with a cool group
>Play Core
>Have an awesome time
>Come to /tg/ and watch a bunch of asshats bad talk the system we have a good time on
>This isn't a /tg/ problem, its an internet problem
>>
>>51634522
>Drink stagnant water every weekend with a cool group
>Drink straight from the swamp
>Have awesome time
>Come to /tg/ and watch a bunch of asshats bad talk the drink we have a good time with
>This isn't a /tg/ problem, its an internet problem
>>
>>51634563
>Opinions
>>
>>51632573
It CAN be unbalanced, but it isn't inherently so.
For character creation you pretty much can never go wrong, every class has great guides and basic builds available for them online. (Ex. Google Unchained Rogue handbook or something)

The only time you should avoid a class is when 3pp material is allowed. You don't want to play a 1pp class like Barbarian or Fighter when something like Path of War is an option.

>>51632585
Caster supremacy ultimately depends on how well your GM creates encounters, and if they do. Most pre-designed encounters you might see in modules or adventure paths almost always fail to contest skilled/caster classes. From my own experience it's not prevalent until around level 10. From 15 on up through it's pretty unignorable.
>>
>>51634522
Protip: If you're hanging out with awesome people, you're going to have awesome time even if you're playing Pathfinder or Fatal. Doesn't mean they're not both terrible systems.
>>
>>51632797
>We are all fairly new to the system so no one is going to try to break anything on purpose.
Yeah, see, that's the problem, you don't have to be trying to break it on purpose. Happened to me the very first time I played 3.0.

Anyways, actual recommendation: try a basic beatstick Warpriest. Warpriests are neat in that they're easy to play, teach you several important concepts, like how melee classes work, how important action economy is, and how spellcasters work, all while still being in the sweet spot of class balance.
>>
>>51633788
Has there ever been a more ironic fucking post?
/pfg/ is pretty much weeb, furry, trap, kitsune, DSP dick suck general. Why the fuck would you go there to discuss pathfinder?
>>
>>51634814
Because your thread won't get blindsided by ooga booga mechanics no matter man and go up in flames.
>>
>>51634814
He'd still get more advice there than he has gotten in this thread, not counting everyone whose advice is "don't play pathfinder."
>>
>>51632797
>break anything on purpose
That's what killed the game for me. By the time our levels were in the double digits our sorcerer trivialized every combat encounter and he wasn't trying to become a combat monster while everyone else specced for combat and were shit compared to him.

There are hundreds of other games out there so please, try to find another game. I promise you'll have more fun in the long run.
>>
>>51632573
Character Creation is imbalanced in the sense that there are several things that the book doesn't properly explain and some systems either don't work or work actively against martial characters.

Combat maneuvers are garbage because of how the CMD scales faster than CMB, called shots are practically impossible since the penalties you're taking are too big while the benefits are too small, to say nothing on how a class feature such as the Druid's animal companion or the divination wizard's ability to never be surprised as well as shitloads of initiative bonuses makes it practically impossible for someone to get the drop on them.
>>51632585
Caster Supremacy becomes a thing the further along you get in levels. Even if the caster doesn't mean to, the amount of options that a mage can get far outstrips the average core martial's abilities which come down to "deal damage" and "deal more damage."

Not to mention, core martials are boring because all you'll be doing is attacking.
>>
>>51635588
>Not to mention, core martials are boring because all you'll be doing is attacking.
Really depends. I can make a strange and interesting fighter with a number of useful out of combat abilities.
>>
>>51632573
Why and how is PF broken or unusable as a system?

If there was a GM to limit the excesses of the system, would it be able to run a game well?
>>
>>51632797
The problem is that the mages in the group WILL end up breaking the game sooner or later due to having access to over 200+ spells that gives the mage the ability to do practically anything they want.

People will go "hurr, day only gotz so many spellz lel" but when the right spell can potentially end an encounter in one turn, it really doesn't matter that you only get to cast a certain amount of spells per day. I mean, it only takes one nuke to level a city.
>>
>>51635602
You could but most of the interesting abilities you could find won't be in core and newbies won't be aware of these options unless they do some independent digging on d20pfsrd.com
>>
>>51633328
Based on that, you want 5e.
>>
>>51633441
Not any of them but are you actually autistic?
>>
>>51633520
What's wrong with GITP?
>>
>>51635812
Do you know who Giacomo is? Because that's what's wrong with GITP. Took fucking years for him to get banned and he got dozens of people banned in the process.
>>
>>51632932
>Either your GM has no idea how to bring a party together or someone in your party was purposefully trying to invalidate people and not fessing up to it.
How would you propose an encounter where a) the threat isn't enough to invalidate the martials and b) the threat is enough to challenge the mages?

Because anything that the martial can deal with WILL be invalidated by the mage while anything that can invalidate the mage WILL be practically impossible for the martials to beat on their own.

Hell, after a certain point, a monster's defenses will just be too much for a martial to deal with unless they min-max themselves to the peak of human condition...yet the same creature will get rendered invalid the moment they fail a save.
>>
>>51635867
No I'm saying who ever were playing your martials build shit martials. In pathfinder one can easily build a martial that can contribute to any situation.

>yet the same creature will get rendered invalid the moment they fail a save.
See, this shows me you don't play a lot of pathfinder. Name the spells besides Mindscape that invalidate a creature from the get go in mid levels. There are not many and they are situational at best.

>the mage while anything that can invalidate the mage WILL be practically impossible for the martials to beat on their own.
Entirely untrue. A mage who isn't a conjuration specialist or prepared create pit that day gets assfucked by a golem while the martial just beats it to death.
>>
>>51633163
D&D 5th
D&D 4th
D&D Old School
WFRP 1 or 2
FantasyCraft
Blood & Treasure 2nd Edition
Traveller Classic or Mongoose 2nd
>>
>>51635921
>No I'm saying who ever were playing your martials build shit martials.
Or they played core only like every other newbie does before they start to realize both a) how many options there are and b) how most options are worthless for non-mages.
>Name the spells besides Mindscape that invalidate a creature from the get go in mid levels.
>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/chains-of-light
>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/treacherous-teleport
Including the lower level spells such as windwall.
>A mage who isn't a conjuration specialist or prepared create pit that day gets assfucked by a golem while the martial just beats it to death.
The funny thing is that both spells that I just posted would be able to be cast on a golem since they both don't allow for spell resistance.

Not to mention, certain golems, like the adamantine variant, fuck up martials so hard it's not even funny.
>>
>>51635864
But he's banned now; what was wrong with him?
>>
>>51636204
>chain of light
>good
>treacherous teleport
>good

yeah not if the GM has anything approaching good encounter design. If single target paralysis fucks your game over then your GM is shit. I stand by my statement.

>Not to mention, certain golems, like the adamantine variant, fuck up martials so hard it's not even funny.
Not if they bypass DR, which by that level if they aren't they may as well off their character with their own weapon, hopefully it can cut through more than butter
>>
>>51635606
>Why and how is PF broken or unusable as a system?

Non-combat actions aren't well supported
Bad skill system
Wealth-by-level means your party NEEDS magic items or they just can't fight enemies
Casters outstrip martials
People still don't understand grappling
Feats range from "you get +1 to Diplomacy while talking to Elves during cloudy days" to "you deal double damage with every attack"
CR system is still busted
LA system is still busted
>>
>>51636248
Because you can troll GITP and not be touched for months while actual quality posters can get banned at the drop of a hat, especially in the homebrew forum, where people were literally banned for critiquing homebrew they were asked to critique. GITP has some of the worst moderation I've ever seen.
>>
>>51636250
>If single target paralysis fucks your game over then your GM is shit.
You asked me for spells that invalidate a creature from the get go in mid levels. Don't move the goalpost just because you got proven wrong.
>Not if they bypass DR, which by that level if they aren't they may as well off their character with their own weapon, hopefully it can cut through more than butter
An Adamantine golem, for reference, can deal like 6d10+13 damage to a martial's weapon/armor as if it rolled sunder, in addition to dealing damage to them. Considering that martials are worthless without their equipment, this is a big fucking deal if they end up eating an attack from it.
>>
>>51636348
Further elaboration please?
I know some posters are fucking overbearing pieces of shit, the moderation can be heavyhanded as fuck, and posters who get chummy with mods can get away nearly scot free but it can be good forums to gain knowledge in and gather critiques.
>>
File: Pathfinder Lead Designer 3.png (109KB, 1052x390px) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder Lead Designer 3.png
109KB, 1052x390px
>>51635606
No, because it still possesses the design flaws inherent to 3.5. They literally refused to remove broken parts. Pic related.
>>
>>51632573
It's unbalance as people say. It's system where a Wizard can do anything, including being in melee than a fighter at little to no investment, while still get to keep all his wizard goodness (like being flying and invisible at the same time while being able to create a nigh-unbreakable barrier whenever you get attacked).
>>
>>51636455
How are you supposed to gather critiques when people can be banned for giving critiques. At best, you'll get a circlejerk on how amazing your idea is but nobody will offer any actual criticism that could serve to make the game better.
>>
My only hope for Pathfinder is that they release either PF 2e or Starfinder is such an incredible fuck up that it alienates the player base. I've played quite a lot PF, I've seen more than 100 to maybe 250 fixes for fighters and that casters are ok when you enforce material components.
I can't even get mad about it anymore, which I'm pretty happy about - the one campaign that still uses it is on hold for another month and I can only hardly remember all the bullshit the system throws at you.
Now I just want it to die so I can read about more interesting systems on /tg/
>>
>>51632797
If you really have to play it, go for full caster. Always go for full caster in Pathfinder.

Look through spell list. Choose your specialize in anything that isn't a blasting spell.

Sure... fireball can do 5d6 damage, but a group of enemy stuck in stinking cloud is pretty much already dead.
>>
>>51636713
Who got banned and why did they get banned?
They could've been skirting around the edge of the forum rules and just a neck away from being banned.
>>
>>51636767
Nah man, if you have to play PF pick a 6th lvl caster. Magus is a martial that can be fun to play because you have options, alchemist can go at least two ways (bombs or mutagen enabled melee), Warpriest just keeps getting bigger each round and if psionics is allowed, Psychic Warrior can go all the ways.
Don't min/max like an idiot. Take the middle road and make sure the rest of your group is on it. Then it's bearable if you put on blinds and ignore all the other stupid parts.
>>
>>51636809
You never get up to high level do you?

Magus and Alchemist can't compare to fullcaster after level 7 or 8. At level 10+ they are pretty much as useless as martials, since the game become full caster one man show.
>>
>>51636839
>hurrdurr
Uh ok man, did you actually read the thing about taking the middle road which I wrote? Because to me it seems you didn't.
And yes, I've played high level, and it's absolute dogshite. I've made the mistake of using Mage's Disjunction against my party. That was great fun making them rewrite their entire character sheets because their magic dangelangs didn't work. Never again. In that game one of my players also played a conjuration wizard so the campaign was thoroughly fucked. I had no idea how to challenge them without just pulling shit out of my ass. Which is one of the worst parts of PF. With what you're given you can't even challenge okayishly built characters because CR means nothing and everything is dependant on what your party actually brings.
I recently did a 4e oneshot and it was amazing how I could just slap some monsters down and have a nice fight (although I probably won't stick with 4e either)
>>
>>51632585
I'll assume by "martial" you don't mean "good at killing things with weapons" you mean "doesn't have magic".

This means being super reliant on having the right gear, and also means you will suck whenever murder through generic HP attrition is not what the situation calls for. How often that will be will depend on the campaign.

If everything from paladin up is a multiple, you (the fighter) are a basic hammer. You can do the job so long as your one tool is the right one for the job, and that's all.
>>
>>51636809
> Don't min/max like an idiot.
They wouldn't play PF if they won't do that. And Summoner man... summoner... you just break stuff even without min-maxing anything because of that inherit standard action summon monster...
>>
Isn't PF an old as fuck game? They really need to get with the times. You can only progress so far on butthurt.
>>
>>51632573
The unbalance is not so much about power as people often think, (but that's also a thing) it's more an issue of versatility.

Some classes have tons, others have none.

Use tier lists.

WBL is not a suggestion, it's the minimum wealth in the items you need to be able to face challenges of your level. Additionally, some classes (martials, excluding synthesist summoner) are more gear dependent than others, so if you're behind on WBL that matters much more to a fighter than a druid.
>>
>>51632573
Use class guides, and the tier list, until you're more familiar with the system.

Use d20 and archives of Nethys for character options, don't fuss with finding the right splat book.
>>
>>51632585
Look at this spell http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/emblem-of-greed

A Wizard can steal martial only job with just this one spell. Hell, they could even get more caster level from race,trait,item,feat and fight better than a level 20 martials at level 12-13.

That's how bad caster supremacy is in Pathfinder.

Oh and by that point, the material component is dirt cheap for you. Even before taking crafting economy into equation.
>>
>>51636965
Sadly I don't have any statistics to back it up, but even sadder a lot of people still are faced with PF as their introduction to RPGs. I mean, the marketing machine paizo has works well and Pathfinder League or whatever is called is also quite widespread (I'm from germany and there's been one in all big cities where I've visited a LGS)
Luckily 5e is getting more traction which means people still grow up on D&Disms, but at least it's not PF, because fuck PF. I have to hold myself back from writing more because I notice how I am getting mad at PF again, even though I was able to avoid it for some time now
>>
>>51632573
Class tiers don't start to matter until level 8 or so. If you're playing higher levels, I advise sticking to a 3 tier spread on classes.

Good(ish) fighting classes:

Magus
Synthesist
Slayer (ish)
Paladin
Alchemist
Warpriest
Monk

Path of war

But as others have mentioned, the weakness of other martials comes from a lack of usable options besides stabbing.
>>
>>51632987
/Pfg/ is worlds different than the general Pathfinder culture.

Gitp is boss, enworld just treats it like d&d, and the Paizo forums are a den for regressive left censorship and diversity quotas.
>>
>>51632990
Unchained monk is okay.
Regular monk is crap to awesome depending which options you take.

I prefer a punch mystic (pow), punch warpriest (ignoring the nerf errata), a punch cleric, or a magus/druid with monk fluff.
>>
>>51633026
As a guy who prefers 10-16 play, I'd advise tier limiting over low level play.

The fun abilities don't start becoming available until 9 to 11.
>>
>>51637045
Although I have to add one thing. Probably the biggest "crime" PF is guilty of, from my point of view: deception.
For new players it actually looks interesting, especially if you have some interest in mechanics. The pictures and descriptions are nice, everything looks so epic and cool. All that high fantasy crap you can do!
And then people begin to understand how the system actually works, but don't understand that that's not how RPGs are supposed to work, because it was their first RPG. Then they get stuck on it and just breeds the worst qualities.
Fuck PF for that alone, for every single player who never had the joy of a well designed system, for every group that get stuck in railroady APs, for GMs that try to wrangle fun from that broken mess, for every players that's twisted because he doesn't know better
>>
>>51633373
Low -mid magic fantasy
Conan (Mongoose, haven't had a chance to try the new one that just came out yet.)
HARP
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy

High magic fantasy
Pathfinder
Fantasy HERO
>>
>>51637194
Could you please elaborate on that? How is it deceptive?
>>
>>51635606
It's not unusable. It's one of the 3 games I play most and I much prefer it to 5e

It does have issues.

>Trap options.
>Combat maneuvers have badly scaling math and only work at lower levels/against humanoids.
>Drastic versatility difference between classes, which start between 6 and 8 and grow as levels progress.
>Wrong expectations. People assuming the game is all like LOTR, when that only covers like levels 3-6. After that the amount of weird reality warping abilities grows. 7-10 is like X-Men comics from 2001-2012 (not classic x men). 11-15 is like avengers. 16-20 is like magic the gathering planeswalkers.

Play the level range that supports the kind of game you want, tier restrict if playing above 8, and If you want to play 1-20 understand the gameplay changes at a fundamental level as you increase in character levels. As for the trap options, the game has a metric fuckton of options, many of which are strictly ineffective. As a result it has a learning curve. Use class guides until you start to get the hang of the system. Avoid combat maneuvers outside a low level or urban campaign.

Do those things and the system is great. I run level 8-16 campaigns and have found no other games I prefer for the task, and I've tried many.
>>
>>51635867
Tier restrict. T1-3 is fine. T1-5 is not.
>>
>>51637368
What are your issue with 5e?
>>
>>51636297
Pf has no LA system.

The equivalent system is "make sure races are built with equivalent numbers of race points. Don't allow humans and dragon demon snowflake races in the same party. This works just fine.

WBL is a necessity. But there are a few options to replace it. Personally I like just working magic items which boost efficacy into character advancement and I just have the PCs buy them with points and swap out up to 1/3 of them as they level up.
>>
>>51637299
Well, this will be a lot of rambling, so bear with me here.
First, it looks like your standard fantasy stuff, right? Warriors, Mages, Clerics and Rogues off all the standard races you expect from fantasy going on some fun adventures. Well, maybe it's high fantasy, but honestly, due to how weirdly the system can be applied to the world you play in, it begins to break down. Plus Golarion itself is a terrible kitchen sink of random ass stuff. I'd argue that Pf isn't high fantasy, but has its own kind of genre - sometimes it even feels closer to superheros than fantasy.
Oh yeah, it only feels like superheroes once you break through lvl ~5, because low level is a mad scramble for survival where you can almost play a LOTR (movie) like campaign in. It's occured to me a few times in campaigns that people had problems how their characters are supposed to react to magic or supernatural events. Isn't magic quite widespread? You can get spellcasting services in almost any town and adept is casting NPC class, right? So magic should be kinda normal? Maybe, I don't know and the weirdness sucks, because you have to clearly define the setting outside of the system (and Golarion surely doesn't do that)
>>
>>51636979
Pathfinder turns 8 this August
>>
>>51632573
Have some real tips, OP. Sorry that people can't do anything but bitch here.

>Ability scores don't matter
They do matter, but they matter very little compared to 5e. Basically, if you meet prerequisitea for things, then you're good. After around 3rd level or so your class bonuses will overshadow your ability score bonuses.

>Plan your feats
In 5e feats tend to scale, and you get very few of them. In PF, you get feats constantly, and you progress along feat trees towards an end goal. Planning out your build will help a lot.

>Caster supremacy
Is only for +5th level controller effects. At low levels, casters have pretty lights to play with. At high levels they are very very popular but only really at control. Everything else they are either appropriately powerful or weak at. There's one or two spells of each level that are substantially stronger than the rest, just don't be That Guy with those spells and you'll be fine.

>Character generation
It is possible to fuck up your character at 1st level, but if you refrain from heavily modifying your character, you won't. Just don't pick an archetype and don't sub out features and you'll be fine. You won't be the strongest but you won't be the weakest.
>>
>>51637462
The mechanical complexity is also a vital aspect here. So many options! So many concepts you can try! To be honest, this is what kept me interested in PF for some time. Just making up all kinds of dudes you can play with all these options. If I need to tell how almost all those options are awful, you might want to read the rest of this thread. Nonetheless, half a year ago me and my friends would be grabbed by some of the nice new toys that came out with such and such splat, combine with some old archetype suddenly creates something amazing!
Actually no, you probably still stand there and spam your one option over and over until you realize that the system is so incredibly narrow in what you can actually do and how it punishes you for trying to do more than one thing at once that you end up adding houserules, psionics, initiators, spheres of power and more until it hardly resembles the base game anymore.
Uhhh anyway that was probably enough about that. What else is there? Probably more, but I'm kind of brain drained from dredging that shit up. I just don't care anymore. PF is just awful all around, but by putting on a thin veneer of interesting stuff it deceives people for far too long
>>
>>51637410
>The chassis on which characters are built isn't sufficiently customizable. There are not enough choices in character creation and not enough options your character has access to in a given turn unless you play a mage. It feels like they designed it around some of the most boring parts of 3e rather than making the boring parts more fun.
>Classes are too rigid.
>Not enough prebuilt enemies.
>I hate the skill system. Sometimes you want half proficiency or 3/4 proficiency.
>I hate the skill math. There's insufficient difference between a skilled expert and a chump 10 year old.
>I dislike advantage and disadvantage. 3e has too many fiddly bonuses, 5e over compensated and made the game worse with too little granularity.
>There aren't enough options for the customization slots available.
>You have to choose between keeping up and having options. Feats should be in addition to ASIs, not either/or.
>The guidelines for how much magic gear new higher level characters should have doesn't match up with how much a character would have if they started at 1.
>I'm looking for something generally higher powered and higher magic when I want d&d. I enjoy mid to mid-high level Pathfinder. When I want low magic dungeoncrawling I'm more inclined to go for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy or Conan over 5e.
>It handles unplanned PvP more poorly than Pathfinder due to the large difference in monster HP and damage vs PC HP and damage.

I'll play it in place of Conan or low level Pathfinder, but I do consider it strictly worse.
>>
>>51637590
This is why 4e is the better game, autists and butthurt shits be damned.

With PF, you can either create characters (which is fun) or you can actually play the game, which can be fucking painful because if you choose the weaker and more flavorful option you're fucked.
>>
>>51637510
>Don't pick an archetype
This advice is fine if your class is the or better. If it's t4/t5 choosing the right archetypes is all-important
>>
>>51637634
4e doesn't fill the same niche as Pathfinder, unless you want low level dungeon crawls.

If you like level 10-15 caster and half caster play, well, even upper level 4e will disappoint.
>>
>>51637510
> Is only for +5th level controller effects.
Kind wrong. Color spray,sleep, grease and obscuring mist happen since level 1.

> at high levels they are very very popular but only really at control
Kind wrong again. It's true that they are really good at control. But they can do whatever the hell they want at high level. Animate dead, Summon Monster or even shit like Sonic thrust / Telekinesis are not "appropirately powerful".

It's not one or two spells each level. It's more like 7-8 (because of Paizo spell bloat)
>>
>>51637510
The reason why 4e is a better game is because it know what it is and is a specialized game unlike 3.PF which tries to cover all their bases. It's just a whole other package.
>>
>>51637653
What niche does Pathfinder fill? I always have trouble putting it somewhere except in it's own weird super high fantasy weirdness
>>
>>51637510
There's a lot of bullshit in here, but it's not entirely wrong... Kinda... I mean...

>Ability scores don't matter
Mostly. Your primary score matters. Having an 18 compared to a 16 strength is +1 to hit and +2 damage at early levels for most fighters, and that +2 Int means you get an extra spell per day for a wizard. It'll be overshadowed EVENTUALLY but it makes a difference. It's the other stuff that you can get away with not bothering maxing out.

>Plan your feats
Agreed.

>Caster Supremacy
Glitterdust, Sleep, and Create Pit would like to have a word with you. Even if it's only once or twice a day, being able to end an encounter with a single saving throw is always going to be great when it works. It's even better against groups, who might make the save once but not 3-4 times. This is another moment where maxing out your stats matters; Making a group of goblins roll a DC 17 Will save at first level means that's a group of dead goblins.

>Character generation
Or if you just pick the wrong class combo. Protip, don't go sword and board unless you REALLY know what you're doing, and Monks are shit almost all the time. Lots of classes are all right... If you're familiar with the system; Take the Fighter, who's gotten enough buffs to at least be passably fun if you can gather information from about a half-dozen books.
>>
>>51637613
A lots of you complain can be answer with "learn to refluff" (which is the design choice of 5e, not every little thing have to be reflect mechanically. It isn't a simulation) and "stop being math autistic and play the game, we are here to enjoy the night not doing math homework".
>>
>>51637613
>>Not enough prebuilt enemies.
You fucking wat?
Have you looked at the appendices in the MM and Volo's?

>I hate the skill system. Sometimes you want half proficiency or 3/4 proficiency.
>I hate the skill math. There's insufficient difference between a skilled expert and a chump 10 year old.
Everyone is useful at the very least. But those with Expertise will be head and shoulders above everyone else.

>I dislike advantage and disadvantage. 3e has too many fiddly bonuses, 5e over compensated and made the game worse with too little granularity.
Advantage and Disadvantage is a fucking awesome mechanic, going back to anything fiddlier than that is a step in the wrong/worst direction.

>You have to choose between keeping up and having options. Feats should be in addition to ASIs, not either/or.
Unlike in previous editions, the feats are actually worthwhile.
And DCs aren't as keyed to ability score modifiers as they once were. You can play the meme retarded wizard.

>The guidelines for how much magic gear new higher level characters should have doesn't match up with how much a character would have if they started at 1.
Bounded accuracy.

>It handles unplanned PvP more poorly than Pathfinder due to the large difference in monster HP and damage vs PC HP and damage.
You're playing in a team game.

5e could certainly do with more options.
>>
>>51637653
4e is still high fantasy, perhaps more so because of its at wills and selection of encounter powers and dailies.

Did you even paragon tier and epic tier?
>>
>>51637722
For some reason I want pictures of the holy mafia being all sunny sunlords
>>
>>51637686
5e could certainly do with more options. And bringing back expertise dice for martials and remaking the sorcerers to how they once were, for starters.
Fuck the 3x.e shits who were trying to fuck up the system.
>>
>>51637669
Super high fantasy weirdness is the niche I'm looking to fill.

Tactical fantasy RPG that closely mirrors the recent Dr. Strange movie in terms of character capabilities.

>>51637722

>>51637682
No amount of refluffing will add non-hp enemy elimination, stat drain, or combat capable, highly flexible, reality warping effects control effects which it lacks, such as wall of stone, fabricate, etc. Let alone contingent spells and the like, that are just waiting for the trigger.

4e just doesn't do that kind of gameplay.
>>
>>51637686
>Skills
I remain unconvinced this lack of flexibility and granularity is a good thing. I'd rather have skillpoints, and they're less than ideal.

>Dis/Adv
Its too fucking limiting. I want at least 3 degrees of granularity in each direction, 5 would be better.

>Bounded accuracy has nothing to do with the inconsistent magic item guidelines.

>PvP
A team game that is also an RPG, and therefore the occasional betrayal or party split over major issues comes up, and I want that to be prepared for.

>Options
And more opportunities to take them. There's not enough moving parts. Auto scaling feats is well and good, but I want a variety of feats that give me different capabilities.
>>
>>51637979
>I remain unconvinced this lack of flexibility and granularity is a good thing. I'd rather have skillpoints, and they're less than ideal.
Do you want a maths game or a roleplaying game?

>Its too fucking limiting. I want at least 3 degrees of granularity in each direction, 5 would be better.
How is it limiting? And you want that scaling for what purpose?

>A team game that is also an RPG, and therefore the occasional betrayal or party split over major issues comes up, and I want that to be prepared for.
Everyone needs to be on board with that, or it devolves into shitting on everything.

>And more opportunities to take them. There's not enough moving parts. Auto scaling feats is well and good, but I want a variety of feats that give me different capabilities.
Variety of feats should be good, but not the extent of 3e and PF's feats which provide nothing useful and are entirely wastes of space.
>>
>>51637903
At that point, why not use an actual superhero system? Wild Talents is open enough for stuff like that, but it also manages to codify it to more simple rules.
Please don't get hung up on this, but trying to imagine fluid combat scenes from a movie ported to PFs static combat sends shivers of fear down my spine

>>51637979
You sound like you'd actually enjoy The Dark Eye, a d100-based system like Runequest 6 or Fantasy Craft if you want to stay in the d20 sphere.
If you want granularity and options, do yourself a favor and play a game that rewards that
>>
>>51638009
>Do you want a maths game or a roleplaying game?
I want a role-playing game with mechanics that support drastically different character capabilities rather than washing them out and making things bland and samey and

>>Its too fucking limiting. I want at least 3 degrees of granularity in each direction, 5 would be better.
>How is it limiting? And you want that scaling for what purpose?
Varying degrees of added circumstantial bonuses, such that good planning to manipulate the situation can be used to give a large advantage.

>>A team game that is also an RPG, and therefore the occasional betrayal or party split over major issues comes up, and I want that to be prepared for.
>Everyone needs to be on board with that, or it devolves into shitting on everything.
And I want a game where the mechanics will support that if everyone is on board. 5e does not.

>>And more opportunities to take them. There's not enough moving parts. Auto scaling feats is well and good, but I want a variety of feats that give me different capabilities.
>Variety of feats should be good, but not the extent of 3e and PF's feats which provide nothing useful and are entirely wastes of space.
Many dead weight options in Pathfinder, and many that require several feats in order to be useful. I agree. I want lots of *useful* feats, where each one grants new level appropriate abilities (mundane and magical) that would require special training to attempt, or that make you great at something a normal person would suck at.
>>
>>51638072
>I want a role-playing game with mechanics that support drastically different character capabilities rather than washing them out and making things bland and samey and
Is 5e actually bland and samey or is this the memes talking?

>Varying degrees of added circumstantial bonuses, such that good planning to manipulate the situation can be used to give a large advantage.
What is this going to prove? It's not going to make play faster or smoother? Or the situations any more advantageous.

>And I want a game where the mechanics will support that if everyone is on board. 5e does not.
Does PF? Have you tried 5e PvP?

>Many dead weight options in Pathfinder, and many that require several feats in order to be useful. I agree. I want lots of *useful* feats, where each one grants new level appropriate abilities (mundane and magical) that would require special training to attempt, or that make you great at something a normal person would suck at.
There are UA feats, but 5e does need more options to its name.
>>
>>51638033
I've tried Savage worlds and m&m and aberrant. I'd be happy to use a super hero system with some house rules of I could find one that was any good.

I have not tried wild talents. Been also contemplating trying fantasy hero. Haven't had the chance to try either yet.

But so far I find Pathfinder acceptable (but not perfect) and every superhero esque system I've tried has fallen into the category of "that system was awful and hindered my enjoyment of the past 6 months, I'm never playing it again"

>Fantasy craft could be good for the non gonzo superhero scale magic if they finally got finished magic rules for mages and a decent bestiary. Not familiar with tdes gameplay, but I don't find rq very impressive. not a big fan. I prefer Unisystem, or even Rolemaster, to RQ. But I have not yet tried the, so I might like it more than RQ, Who knows.
>>
>>51632573
Rape every NPC you meet as early as you possibly can.
>>
>>51632573
A new group won't really run into the severe imbalance as long as everybody intends to work as a group and uses online character building guides to about the same degree.

Also, when I want to kill people with weapons I typically have the most fun with the semi magical classes (Paladin, Inquisitor, etc) rather than Fighter&co. Something to keep in mind.

Also, if you want to play as a Rogue or might want some Rogue levels later, talk to your DM. Rogues require a little more DM attention, though at the same time Ninja is literally "Rogue but better" so that one is less tricky. Not sure how the unchained Rogue is, though, since I haven't looked at them yet.
>>
>>51638117
>>I want a role-playing game with mechanics that support drastically different character capabilities rather than washing them out and making things bland and samey and
>Is 5e actually bland and samey or is this the memes talking?
I found it samey and restrictive. Didn't have enough choice when building a character. Too much similarity between characters of the same class.

>>Varying degrees of added circumstantial bonuses, such that good planning to manipulate the situation can be used to give a large advantage.
>What is this going to prove? It's not going to make play faster or smoother? Or the situations any more advantageous.
It would make the gameplay have higher fidelity, AND if be looking for higher circumstantial bonuses. That's kind of the point. Being limited to the +3.whatever that advantage grants is creator than a +6 or +9 or so.

>>And I want a game where the mechanics will support that if everyone is on board. 5e does not.
>Does PF?
Like 8 weekly 8 month long Pathfinder campaigns since 2009 lead me to say: yes. Yes it does.

>Have you tried 5e PvP?
No. Not yet. But I have seen the math of how much damage PCs deal vs how much monsters deal, and the same for HP. 5e Monsters have more HP and deal worse damage. 5e PvP will be much more rocket-taggy than 5e PvE.

>>Many dead weight options in Pathfinder, and many that require several feats in order to be useful. I agree. I want lots of *useful* feats, where each one grants new level appropriate abilities (mundane and magical) that would require special training to attempt, or that make you great at something a normal person would suck at.
>There are UA feats, but 5e does need more options to its name.
And feat slots that you don't have to sacrifice anything for.
>>
>>51638265
Too much similarity, and not enough versatility for non casters due to too small a number of class features.*
>>
>>51632667
Synthesists are indeed fun, but they can easily outshine a Fighter so be careful.

Note that this is largely a case of Fighters being subpar, Synthesists are right about the power level the game should be.
>>
>>51632573
> Is it really as unbalanced as people say here or is it just a meme?
It is unbalanced as hell, and it is a meme about how unbalanced it is: but, and i want to stress this: if your party isn't a roving gang of murderhobos, which is unlikely, but still, if thye cooperate and use teamwork instead of trying ot kill one another routinely, then the gaps in relative power will become less noticeable. not absent, but less noticeable.

if you are only using Core rules, then there are significantly worse gaps between relative power levels, compared to casters playing with a restricted list and martials being afforded a few additional splats. Personally, i'm a fan of granting Martial heroes Mythic progression.
>>
>>51638300
Synthesists are what the fighter *should* be
>>
>>51638265
>I found it samey and restrictive. Didn't have enough choice when building a character. Too much similarity between characters of the same class.
>Too much similarity, and not enough versatility for non casters due to too small a number of class features.*
Explain this further.
This is only true if you're actively trying to restrict yourself.

>It would make the gameplay have higher fidelity, AND if be looking for higher circumstantial bonuses. That's kind of the point. Being limited to the +3.whatever that advantage grants is creator than a +6 or +9 or so.
Dis/Adv gets rid of the modifiers, because the granularity is already built into the swinginess of the d20.

>Like 8 weekly 8 month long Pathfinder campaigns since 2009 lead me to say: yes. Yes it does.
Then you only have experience in one system and not enough experience in the other.

>No. Not yet. But I have seen the math of how much damage PCs deal vs how much monsters deal, and the same for HP. 5e Monsters have more HP and deal worse damage. 5e PvP will be much more rocket-taggy than 5e PvE.
This was probably intentional for good or ill.
>>
>>51638323
Allow all sources. Anything else is missing the point. And you can't point to unfair availability like in 3e because everything is on d20pfsrd and archives of Nethys.

Making mundane martials mythic would help, so long as they can't take any mythic things that primarily boost their numbers (is that a thing, my copy of mythic is across the country and I'm on a phone).
>>
>>51638265
>Like 8 weekly 8 month long Pathfinder campaigns since 2009 lead me to say: yes. Yes it does.
>No. Not yet. But I have seen the math of how much damage PCs deal vs how much monsters deal, and the same for HP. 5e Monsters have more HP and deal worse damage. 5e PvP will be much more rocket-taggy than 5e PvE.
>>51638356

With PF PvP, how are you dealing with the widely imbalanced classes?
>>
>>51638356
>>>51638265 (You)
>>I found it samey and restrictive. Didn't have enough choice when building a character. Too much similarity between characters of the same class.
>>Too much similarity, and not enough versatility for non casters due to too small a number of class features.*
>Explain this further.
Other than spells on a mages, there were not enough new capabilities (active or passive) which could be added to a character. Haven't played 5e in almost a year at this point so I don't have the specific examples that bugged me.

I also found it annoying how much of what you got from a class was fixed, rather than having a list of substitute class features which could be taken. Pathfinder is both more flexible in this regard, and it has lots of combinable archetypes.

>>It would make the gameplay have higher fidelity, AND if be looking for higher circumstantial bonuses. That's kind of the point. Being limited to the +3.whatever that advantage grants is creator than a +6 or +9 or so.
>Dis/Adv gets rid of the modifiers, because the granularity is already built into the swinginess of the d20.
Negating the swinginess through planning is the reason you to want large modifiers.

>>Like 8 weekly 8 month long Pathfinder campaigns since 2009 lead me to say: yes. Yes it does.
>Then you only have experience in one system and not enough experience in the other.
I do have a great deal of experience with Pathfinder, and a reasonable amount of experience in other games, but yes, I've only got about 6 months of biweekly 5e under my belt.

>>No. Not yet. But I have seen the math of how much damage PCs deal vs how much monsters deal, and the same for HP. 5e Monsters have more HP and deal worse damage. 5e PvP will be much more rocket-taggy than 5e PvE.
>This was probably intentional for good or ill.
Probably, but I don't have to like it.
>>
>>51638394
Tier limiting and innate WBL. Fortunately PF has lots of classes.
>>
>>51638552
Typically we play T1-3.

In a game where PvP was at the forefront, I'd make it T2-3, and might consider using some of the variant mechanics in Conflict PVP by Conflict Games.
>>
>>51638537
>Other than spells on a mages, there were not enough new capabilities (active or passive) which could be added to a character. Haven't played 5e in almost a year at this point so I don't have the specific examples that bugged me.
Then you're relying on what you think you experienced.
And not enough new capabilities? You wat, what do you mean?

>I also found it annoying how much of what you got from a class was fixed, rather than having a list of substitute class features which could be taken. Pathfinder is both more flexible in this regard, and it has lots of combinable archetypes.
Multiclassing is a thing. 5e, instead of substituting class features like PF does, is more about adding onto the class chassis themselves with the archetypes already built in.
What levels did you play to or DM for?

>Negating the swinginess through planning is the reason you to want large modifiers.
This doesn't mean Advantage isn't going to work with this example.

>>51638552
Then that's restrictive. What if the player really wanted to play a tier 1 class?
>>
>>51638683
Yes I'm relying on the frustrations I and my group experienced building for 5e.

>Not enough capabilities what?
Distinct class features. Things like different paladin auras, different bard songs, smite, each of a monks ki powers, cleric domain powers, cavalier challenges, etc. Distinct capabilities. 5e characters didn't feel like they had enough of them. They often had less than their 3.0 counterparts, like clerics only getting one domain.

We played up to around 7 or so. It was a low level campaign.

>Advantage gives the average equivalent of a bonus of more than +3, and less than +4. That's far less than the range of 1-20. If advantage could guarantee no result lower than 10 and allow up to a 30, or guarantee like a 15-20 range, it might negate enough of the swinging to "negate the swinginess through planning". But of course, it doesn't.

>>51638683
Read >>51638624. Unless the game focuses on PvP, they can play T1 just fine. If it does focus on PVP, and someone wants T1, then I might allow T1-2 instead of 2-3, depending on the campaign.

I also do race availability from one campaign to thee next depending on what the campaign is about. Sometimes it'll be standard Tolkien races, other times it might be only drow. Depends on the campaign. Same idea. Starting level, and Class and race availability will depend on the setting, and the power level of the campaign.

If they want to play below tier? I explain to them that they're building with a less versatile and potentially also weaker class, the game may have PvP, and the party may not want to carry them if they build a character who is dead weight. If they are undeterred, I make them announce in front of the group that if they're being outshone they did this to themselves and they promise not to bitch, before they ask the rest of the group for a majority vote to allow them to play their weak character.
>>
>>51638961
I'll also explain in detail how they might be outshone, particularly if the party has a better martial like a druid, combat cleric, warpriest, or synthesist and they're wanting to play fighter.
>>
>>51638961
Then you're biased in your assessment of the system.

>Distinct class features. Things like different paladin auras, different bard songs, smite, each of a monks ki powers, cleric domain powers, cavalier challenges, etc. Distinct capabilities. 5e characters didn't feel like they had enough of them. They often had less than their 3.0 counterparts, like clerics only getting one domain.

What rules did you use? Book rules or rules you found on the Webs?
You must therefore know that each class has at least three archetypes they can take at 3rd level, with more options available to them through the UAs and the SCAG.
And unlike PF's variety of class features, most of 5e actually works out of the box.

>Read >>51638624. Unless the game focuses on PvP, they can play T1 just fine. If it does focus on PVP, and someone wants T1, then I might allow T1-2 instead of 2-3, depending on the campaign.
This is still restrictive, and won't be what a player hopes for if they want to play a T1 class.
Limiting or restricting classes is already an indication that system is failing at its intended purpose, in this case PvP.
>>
>>51639098
I don't play Pathfinder in e6 mode, so class limiting is done regardless of PvP.

But yes, it would be better if all classes could be built to all tiers based on campaign tastes, or if there was a different version of each class for whatever tier you wanted to play.

I never said Pathfinder was perfect, it's far from it. It's filled with flawed just like every other RPG I've played. I just said I prefer it to the various alternatives I've tried, including 5e.

The rules were book rules plus scag. GM probably would have allowed UA, but I don't think most of us knew about it at that point.

Yes, we used the subclasses. Yes it was nice to not have to sift though the options which are a waste of paper, but it certainly *felt* like the amount of customization and flexibility was less than Pf had after 3 years.
>>
>>51639555
Flaws*

Auto correct
>>
>>51639555
I may run 5e again in the near future, I've got out of the abyss here and nobody in our group has played it.
>>
>>51639555
But games using a system shouldn't be limited in or restricted in using the classes of that system. If this is the case, that says a lot about how well that system is designed.

Some RPGs are less flawed in their mechanics, 5e being one of those.

>The rules were book rules plus scag. GM probably would have allowed UA, but I don't think most of us knew about it at that point.
And in what way did you feel limited or restricted or how poorly the 5e classes were designed?

>Yes, we used the subclasses. Yes it was nice to not have to sift though the options which are a waste of paper, but it certainly *felt* like the amount of customization and flexibility was less than Pf had after 3 years.
You seem to be somewhat conflating the number of options with how useful those options actually are; if the options are indeed varied but they're shit or less than useful in actual play then would you still take them?
>>
>>51639555
>>51639674
Now don't get me wrong, I do really like the fluff the PF writers write and would use that in addition to 5e fluff, but PF mechanics sure leave a lot to be desired.
>>
>>51632990
Unchained is playable but all monk options are much weaker in PF than they are in 5e.
>>
>>51633163

d&d basic or 2ed
E6 D&D
Warhammer 2nd edition
Savage Worlds
GURPS lite
>>
5e > 3.5pf > 4e
>>
File: Tigrex.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Tigrex.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
>>51632667
>>51638330
>>51638300
Synthesists are banned in nearly any from of public play, not to mention 6 more of the other 10 summoner archtypes. Hell, standard summoners were banned from organized play as soon as the Unchained Summoner nerf came out in 2015.

Fuck, I need to find normal people to play with.
>>
>>51639674
If the system has enough content, I don't feel I have to include all of it. I wouldn't try to allow/include everything in a GURPS campaign either.

In games that do work on a "include everything" approach, that's good for having a larger percentage of options that apply to your campaign, but it does mean a standardized gameplay, which, if it's not what you're looking for, means you don't want to play that game.

4e is a well balanced combat game which I have little fun playing, for instance.

I am not conflating number of options with how useful the options are. I believe you're not understanding me.

I want a large number of useful options, both to choose from on a game turn, and to choose from during chargen. Pathfinder generally fills that want better than 5e, despite the minefield to navigate in avoiding the crap options.

IMO 5e is 'fine'. Pathfinder is 'decent'. Both have different flaws that annoy me, and the ones for Pathfinder simply annoy me slightly less, and Pathfinder covers a desired per level better than 5e. When I want low-mid magic fantasy, I lean toward non d&d systems.
>>
>>51639808
While I will generally agree, I will also include the important distinction that it's not absolutely true. There are some things that I prefer in 4e more than the other two, and somethings in 3.pf that I prefer over 5e.
>>
>>51639904
Oh. Yeah, PFS is a Clusterfuck.

Summoner in general is a T2 Martial, including Synthesist. Synthesist is a weaker archetype because you're getting comparable numbers but half as many actions.

A t5 class (like fighter) shouldn't be in a party with a T2 class (like summoner, Oracle, sorcerer) because it's going to be outshone. This is more obvious when the T2 is doing the same job as the fighter.
>>
>>51639920
Then are they really options if these options aren't good and will rarely see gameplay? Are these false options?
Saying that a system has a huge number of options while another doesn't is disingenuous if the system with the options heap has rarely useful options and the system with the relative lack of options has well designed classes.

You still haven't explained how you felt restricted or limited in playing 5e classes or how the class features didn't have the capabilities you were after.

4e is pretty fucking fun though, will also disagree with you there.
>>
>>51632573
Play a Gnome Barbarian
>>
>>51640001
Many of them are false options. I'm saying the number of *usable* options is higher in Pathfinder than 5e.

As for what I was dissatisfied with, there didn't seem to be enough choices during chargen, and I wanted a higher number of usable class features than I had.

The characters were fine in capability but felt lacking in versatility.

Im not sure how better I can explain the experience.
>>
>>51639904
>>51639954
Is master summoner banned? Over synthesist?
>>
>>51640044
So you're saying you wanted archetypes off the bat rather than waiting for 3rd when they come online, as they do in 5e.
Do you actually use the number of class features you find yourself with in PF?

And is it really the case that the number of usable options in PF is higher than it is in 5e? Considering nearly all of 5e just works.

But you said you felt the 5e classes lacked capabilities.
>>
>>51640090
And there's the UAs, which the other guy didn't know about.
>>
>>51640125
Didn't know about them at the time buy have been made aware of them in the past few months, yeah.

>>51640090
No I'm saying I wanted the ability to take multiple archetypes, or the ability to choose individual class features out of a list.

>Do I use the class features in PF?
Once in a while I get stuck with a dud that's not very helpful but generally yes.

5e characters lack in capabilities (plural). They have capability (singular). They're good at what they do. That is not the problem. The problem is that the number of things they can do is too small.

Yes I would say the number of usable options is higher in PF, but it certainly takes more effort to find them.

>>51640050
Both are banned in PFS.
>>
>>51640209
Choose more class features out of a list*

Much like selecting spells. Or choosing a ranger fighting style in Pathfinder.
>>
>>51640209
Can't you take at most three archetypes in PF at the same time?
>the ability to choose individual class features out of a list.
This is possible in 5e, the system is very modular.

>The problem is that the number of things they can do is too small.
Could you define this using examples with both systems?

>Yes I would say the number of usable options is higher in PF, but it certainly takes more effort to find them.
Then it's just a slog and chore just to find usable options, that's definitely not a good sign.
>>
>>51640090
Not him but I love how the 5e classes work, I just wish we had more supplements. UA is good but it's not "hard" which bothers me, and as someone who sticks to a small count of the total classes, I'm waiting awhile between each option.

PF options are shit but sometimes a shit option is interesting enough to try. If UA is for testing, they can release a few more misses each month.
>>
>>51640359
>>>51640209 (You)
>Can't you take at most three archetypes in PF at the same time?

No hard limit. You can't alter the same class feature more than once but there's no limit on how many archetypes you can take. Though you'll rarely see more than 2 on a single classed character in practice.

>>the ability to choose individual class features out of a list.
>This is possible in 5e, the system is very modular.
>>The problem is that the number of things they can do is too small.
>Could you define this using examples with both systems?
I'm gonna try. Booting up my computer to compare two similar builds in both systems.

>>Yes I would say the number of usable options is higher in PF, but it certainly takes more effort to find them.
>Then it's just a slog and chore just to find usable options, that's definitely not a good sign.
Agreed. I'm not saying it's a good thing. In fact I'd say That's the worst part of Pathfinder.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-09-09-04-02.png (694KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-09-09-04-02.png
694KB, 1080x1920px
>>51632573
Don't visit /pfg/
>>
File: Vecna_by_jdillon82.jpg (36KB, 300x453px) Image search: [Google]
Vecna_by_jdillon82.jpg
36KB, 300x453px
>>51640419
Just a bump. Doing a side by side ranger comparison at level 8 to illustrate what I meant, and to evaluate it more objectively rather than just based on feel.
>>
>>51640777
Use the UA ranger. They released the UA ranger specifically to address the problem of the PHB ranger.
>>
>>51632573
inquisitor is a simple and fun class to play, i recommend for new players
>>
>>51640818
I think I get some of what he wants, he wants to be able to multiclass, and have it end up more powerful than a straight class, and also if he's playing a straight class wants to be able to switch between archetypes to pick the bonuses he wants from them, 5e RAW doesn't allow for this, the main reason being that it would take a truly exceptional individual to be able to study two different fighting styles or entirely different class or what have you, and actually be competent at both.
>>
>>51641164
Can PF do that competently?
And yes, 5e does require a shifting of genre in thinking. It's not as high-powered fantasy as PF or 4e.
But there's an ease to refluffing what you need to or can do.
>>
>>51641202
I know nothing about PF, I've just read most of the relevant 5E material, and have gleaned that from his posts, 5e is suited more towards high fantasy a little above Tolkien in power and also towards low fantasy if you exclude most of the magic-users, it's not like what everybody who seems to describe pathfinder (memes aside) as being suited for.
>>
>>51640777
>>51640818
>>51641164

I compared the 5e Revised Ranger to the PF Ranger. Perhaps Hunter would have been closer as 5e ranger has more magic.

5e
Ch: Race+Subrace (No real difference from more races)
Ch: Class
Ch: 3 Skills
Ch: Background
Ch: Favored Enemy
Ch: Greater Favored Enemy
Natural Explorer
Ch: Fighting Style: of 4
Ch: Conclave (from 5) (Lets choose beast for the example)
Ch: 5 Spells Known
Ch: 7 Spells Per Day
Ch: 2x Feats OR ASIs
Primeval Awareness
Fleet of Foot
Conclave: Animal Companion
Conclave: Coordinated Attack
Conclave: Beast's Defense

Total Choices: 3 skills, Race/Subrace, Class, Background 2x FE, Combat Style, 1x Archetype, 5 Spells Known, 7 Spells Per Day, 2 Feat or ASI, Animal Companion, 1 Bonus Language

Ability Count: 5 Skills, Basic Combat, Natural Explorer, Beast Companion, 5 Spells Known / 7 Spells per Day, Detect FE, Talk to Beasts, Travel Unhindered w Party, Fleet of Foot, Improved Tracking

PF
Ch: Race
Ch: Class
0-~4 Archetypes (From 36)
Ch: 6-8 Skills at Full, or 12-16 at Half, or any combination in between.
Ch: 2x Traits
Ch: 2x Favored Enemy (one of which scales up)
Track
Wild Empathy
Ch: Combat Style: (of 7) (Scaling)
Endurance
Ch: 2x Favored Terrain (one of which scales up)
Ch: Hunter's Bond (Share FE w Allies, OR Animal Companion)
Woodland Stride
Swift Tracker
2 Spells Per day, changeable each day.
4 Feats, 2 ASIs.

Every class feature has archetypes that you can take which will alter or replace it, meaning every class feature can be replaced, even if they can't all be replaced 1 by 1.

Total Choices: 6-16 Skills between Full & Half Progression, 2 Traits, 2x FE, Combat Style, X Spells Per Day (Full List), 4 Feats, 2 ASIs, 2x Favored Terrain, Beast Companion, 0-4ish Archetypes Which act as a sort of multiplier to choice count.

Ability Count: 6-16 Skills, Basic Combat, Charm Animals, Improved Tracking, Travel Unhindered (Alone), Beast Companion, 2 Spells per Day (Exchangeable)
>>
>>51641164
>wants to be able to multiclass, and have it end up more powerful than a straight class
This is almost impossible in PF because PF penalizes multiclassing. Going straight class is the better option by far.
In 5e, all classes have the share proficiency, you're not penalized for going multilass at all.
>>
>>51641270
Abilities:
The Pathfinder ranger is effective at *WAY* more skills, can take any skills he wants (he just doesn't get the +3 bonus if theyre not class skills) has a similar, comparable ability count (spells: less per day, way more to choose from).
Choices: Take a look at the list. It's not even close.

The 5e Ranger is a rigid, rather inflexible thing, with a few opportunities for customization.

The PF Ranger is a tracker who can be anything from what the 5e Beastmaster Ranger is up to a brawny thief with some spells, to a Tracker/Assassin, and many things in between.
>>
>>51641321
All of 5e is like this. It's why my group has a preference for PF.
>>
>>51641284
Doing so, weakens you, no multiclass turns out better than going straight class in 5e, the option is there more for flavor and player customization than anything else. So what if PF penalizes multiclassing? from what I've gathered that penalty can't be too terribly bad if people consider multiclassing at all.
>>
>>51641321
It bothers me so much that I can't use two-handers or polearms on the 5e Ranger, not even on the revised one. My favourite style of the "skillful hunter" characters is the spearman who stalks his target and wrestles it down.
>>
>>51641343
>So what if PF penalizes multiclassing?
So it shuts down your ridiculous notion that multiclassing makes stronger characters in PF.
>>
>>51641343
You have to understand that most people who are hardcore PF players will have a dozen characters that they have no intention on playing simply because you have more options during character creation than the actual fucking game.

The only reason anyone would say that PF is better than 5e is because it offers more character creation options but actual play...not so much, unless you're playing a mage.
>>
>>51641270
How are you comparing the two? Through sheer quantity of class features/options alone or how functionally well its class features/options handle themselves?

Sure, you get the two-weapon fighting tree in the PF ranger but it's shit.
>>
>>51641371
Does it really though? I'm never going to play pathfinder, so anyone who isn't you please answer the question with clarity and with as little bias as possible
>>51641382
I've heard that, I'm never going to touch it, not just because it seems like it has a shitty community, but because the developers literally stole someone else's work and changed it just enough so that it couldn't be called plagiarism and then published it.
>>
>>51641367
Wat, rangers are proficient in martial weapons. Two-handers and polearms are martial weapons.
How do you figure?
>>
>>51641367
Yeah, I know the feeling.

>>51641402
I typically don't go for TWF anyways. I go Archery, Polearm, or Greatsword.

I will grant you, TWF is more appealing in 5e.

IG Options.
5e Ranger has:
>~8 "Things" Theyre good at.
>5 Skills
>5 Spells Known and 7 Spells/Day.

PF Ranger Has:
>~5 "Things" They're Good at (Worse)
>6-16 Skills (Probably like, 10, because you dont need everything at full but you'll want some things at full).
>Unlimited Spells Known and 2 Spells Per Day. Less Good.

In Terms of what they can do throughout a day, the 5e Ranger /CAN/ Do More (which is good, Ranger is one of the weaker examples in PF, Being a T4 Martial.)

In Terms of what a ranger has to be?

In 5e it's this really tight, restrictive thing, with a small number of choices. In PF you can swap out nearly any class feature that doesn't fit your concept and keep the ones that do.
>>
>>51641493
What makes you think you can't go greatsword or polearm in 5e as a ranger? They are proficient with martial weapons.
>>
>>51641452
Those're unavailable under your combat feats so you can technically wield them but you'll typically be denying yourself your primary weapon.

Though I suppose you can take a bow and switch hit, it weakens a class that's already considered weaker for potentially wasting a major feature if you opt out of your combat style.
>>
>>51641428
I'm a separate person to the one you responded to there. So, that's two people.

>literally stole someone else's work
D&D 3e (core 3 books plus psionics and a couple other things) was published open source, with permission to repackage it up and do what you want with it and resell it. That's not Plagiarism, there's even a copy of the license and which works they converted/referenced at the back of the book, and they release their own stuff under that same license, which is why their mechanics are available for free on d20pfsrd.
This is why Pathfinder CORE and Bestiary 1 are so similar to 3.5. The other Pathfinder books are both where the originality comes from, and where everything good and interesting comes from.
>>
>>51641321
All 5e have classes are 'trained' in skills but can choose to be proficient in and therefore specialized in some skills.

>The 5e Ranger is a rigid, rather inflexible thing, with a few opportunities for customization.
What makes you say this?

And the built-in ranger conclave changes what you're going for, don't make disingenuous points.
But is the PF ranger actually good at doing what it does when you decide to: " from what the 5e Beastmaster Ranger is up to a brawny thief with some spells, to a Tracker/Assassin, and many things in between."?
>>
>>51641549
That's not an answer to the question I asked and I was aware it wasn't legally plagiarism, it was still dishonest, and I don't care how original the rest of their shit is, it's built on a system that fucks over, everyone who isn't a wizard.
>>
>>51641516
Wat, they can be taken as feats by the ranger. Unlike in previous editions, there's no prerequisites stopping you or needing for you to fulfil.

You're not getting it as combat style, but that means denying yourself a +1 or +2 bonus.#

How is this different to what you get as a PF ranger?
>>
>>51641549
Actually it is plagiarism. What it is not is copyright or trademark infringement. If you rip off ideas wholesale, you are a plagiarist. Even if that work is CC or public domain.

I recall someone saying Paizo had ripped off homebrew works (which would be infringement) but I forgot to drag him over coals for proof.
>>
>>51641321
>The 5e Ranger is a rigid, rather inflexible thing, with a few opportunities for customization.

>The PF Ranger is a tracker who can be anything from what the 5e Beastmaster Ranger is up to a brawny thief with some spells, to a Tracker/Assassin, and many things in between.

The 5e ranger's ranger conclaves would like a word with you.

You said you were going for objectivity, you're still mixing subjectivity into it and also being wrong.
>>
>>51641634
For someone to get Paizo in that though they'd have to trademark or copyright their ideas, and how many homebrewers actually do that?
>>
>>51641611
There's no feat to take styles, Great Weapon Fighting Style is distinct and different from Great Weapon Master. Granted, Great Weapon style is one of the weaker ones and missing it isn't a big deal, but it's less a matter of efficiency and more a matter of flavour. There're a lot of small things like that in 5e which limit your character builds.

The PF Ranger has a huge range of fighting styles available, and while a lot of them are frankly shit, they're there and give you a wide range to customize your character organically.

I do think there're more competitive options in 5e, I like having easy ways into these silly personalized builds in Pathfinder. As a fact though, Ranger's just don't have access to as many of these options in 5e. I much prefer the 5e system but its tools are limiting, of so many fighting styles you're only allowed to choose from the small handful available to Rangers.
>>
>>51641270
You realize you can go multiclass relatively easily in 5e don't you.
>>
>>51641333
But you've been completely wrong in your points. So you're asserting points from a position of not understanding how 5e actually works.
>>
>>51641656
When you publish a work, it is automatically copyrighted. All registering it does is make an official independent record of it.
>>
>>51641493
Classes in 5e have skills they're proficient in, ie they get a bonus equal to their proficiency bonus. Otherwise every class gets all skills.
>>
>>51641698
Even if you just post it on here or elsewhere on the internet? I was under the impression that if you don't legally copyright something or state that it is your intellectual property or any of a number of things you can't sue someone for using your idea.
>>
>>51641593
>It's still dishonest.
But it's not at all dishonest. WotC literally gave anyyone permission to do it, IN WRITING. Thats why there's so many different d20 systems and products, many of which are not made by WotC.

>That's not an answer.
That's not an answer because >>51641371 This was my answer, and >>51641284 This is the person who called your claim of multiclass to be superior out as being incorrect.

>Fucks over, everyone who isn't a wizard.
Eh. Only classes that are *really* fucked over are core Rogue, Fighter, Gunslinger, Swashbuckler, and Cavalier. It's a small subset of the classes that get screwed over, and they get screwed over because of the notion of "cool shit requires magic and these guys are defined by having none". Which is unfortunate. Though there's enough other good classes that fill the fluff and party roles well enough that you can just excise the weakest classes from your game and everything works much better.

>>51641611
There are many more combat styles in Pathfinder for Ranger to choose from, and Polearms and Two-Handed Weapons are among them.

>>51641647
Conclaves are some of the few choices I mentioned. They're in my analysis. I didn't forget or omit them. There aren't enough of them to choose from. I also find the mandatory class features annoying.

>>51641634
It's only plagiarism if you take the credit. They gave credit where credit was due and only took credit for their original work. Hence the list of sources and the license at the back of the book.

>>51641656
Copyright has been automatic for like half a century. If you can prove first use, you own the copyright.

Much like WotC stole the Githyanki and Slaadi and several other monsters which they did not own the rights to, that were published in white dwarf. either white dwarf only had the right to print them once, or TSR only had the right to print them once. I don't recall which.
>>
>>51641722
Nope. If you can prove your work came first, you can claim copyright. They can either back down, settle, or argue your idea wasn't sufficiently original to warrant copyright and they developed it independently.
>>
>>51641722
Nope, it's yours unless you explicitly put it somewhere that states that all content is CC (most wikis and even then) or public domain or declare it as such yourself. If I posted something here on 4chan and some fucknugget ripped it off though, I would have a horrible time proving that it was me who created it unless I used a tripcode or something else that can unambiguously prove that I was the poster.
>>
>>51641682
>There's no feat to take styles, Great Weapon Fighting Style is distinct and different from Great Weapon Master. Granted, Great Weapon style is one of the weaker ones and missing it isn't a big deal, but it's less a matter of efficiency and more a matter of flavour. There're a lot of small things like that in 5e which limit your character builds.
Then go fighter and take the great weapon fighting style.
Have you heard of Blade Mastery or Spear Mastery?

>There're a lot of small things like that in 5e which limit your character builds.
You're deliberately doing this and somehow asserting this as fact when it's simply not true.

>The PF Ranger has a huge range of fighting styles available
Which are?

>I do think there're more competitive options in 5e, I like having easy ways into these silly personalized builds in Pathfinder. As a fact though, Ranger's just don't have access to as many of these options in 5e. I much prefer the 5e system but its tools are limiting, of so many fighting styles you're only allowed to choose from the small handful available to Rangers.
You keep saying 5e is limiting. How is it limiting? Every example you've been giving isn't true.
>>
>>51641727
>There are many more combat styles in Pathfinder for Ranger to choose from, and Polearms and Two-Handed Weapons are among them.
What are they?
And are they comparable to the fighting styles you get in 5e?

>Conclaves are some of the few choices I mentioned. They're in my analysis. I didn't forget or omit them. There aren't enough of them to choose from. I also find the mandatory class features annoying.
Then it's not limiting.

> I also find the mandatory class features annoying.
And you don't in PF?
>>
>>51641718
Yes, and? That doesn't change my observation that characters get more skills in Pathfinder - and is not limited to the class skills. Having ranks in a class skills is a +3 bonus in Pathfinder.

IMO "Any 6 skills, +3 if they're class skills, and you can feel free to take some at less than full progression if you need more skills" is better than "3 class skills and 2 background skills from this limited list".

>>51641694
What's been incorrect? I've seen some disagreement with my opinion on the facts, that you think the customization in 5e is plenty, whereas I do not, but I have yet to see anywhere I was pointed out as being factually incorrect in my assessment (>>51641270).
>>
>>51641740
Oh all right.
>>51641727
It's still dishonest doesn't matter how many others did it, they're no less dishonest and quite a few of them modified the system way more than Paizo did.

How badly does it penalize multiclass? that was what I was asking? I wasn't clear initially, sorry, not sorry.
>>
>>51641769
Guy who did the comparison here. You're talking to at least 2 people arguing about the inflexibility of 5e, possibly more.
>>
>>51641769
I wouldn't call it a *huge* range, as he did, but:

Archery, TWF, Sword & Shield, Mounted Combat, Crossbow, Natural Weapon, Two-Handed Weapon
>>
>>51641785
It changes because you seem to think that PF classes get more skills but I'm saying all classes in 5e get all skills.
This is different because it mean some classes can't use or don't get skills, whereas this isn't true for the 5e classes.

>What's been incorrect? I've seen some disagreement with my opinion on the facts, that you think the customization in 5e is plenty, whereas I do not, but I have yet to see anywhere I was pointed out as being factually incorrect in my assessment
You think the 5e ranger can't get GS or polearms. This is wrong.
You think the 5e ranger aren't versatile in the type of ranger they want to become. This is wrong.
You think the 5e ranger and all 5e classes are inflexible and rigid. This is wrong.

You're being dishonest and wrong.
>>
>>51641783
>> I also find the mandatory class features annoying.
>And you don't in PF?
In Pathfinder I can trade any feature I don't want for something else through the choice of one or several archetypes. So, Not so much.

The only question is i there are several such things, can I trade them all without choosing archetypes which both try to trade away the same feature (because RAW you can't do that, though some GMs will still let you).
>>
>>51641809
They seem to be written in your own writing style. But making up statistics is good though because no one can check.
>>
>>51641769
If I take a level in Fighter, then I delay and dilute my character concept. Maybe at 20 it's no big deal but the goal of every roleplaying game is to define your character, hit your stride, and roleplay. And granted, I'm not necessarily adverse to roleplaying within limitation or anything but it doesn't change the fact that it's there. The comparison, this entire topic, doesn't exist in a vacuum where "5e offers enough options", but in a world where the question is, "Does 5e offer enough options to play my concepts", and in extension, "Does 5e offer enough options to play my concepts that Pathfinder might have available."

And if I want to play a Ranger who spend some time in formal martial training to master the use of his spear or sword, then sure, that's doable. But Pathfinder allows me to play my Ranger who's never lived outside of the forest, wields a bastard sword he filched off an ogre which he taught himself, and fights primarily through screaming his enemies down and bashing them in when they're still afraid.

As it stands, the comparison is something like Pathfinder having 20 Ranger archetypes to 5e's 6~, in addition to a wide array of feats you can pick up more conveniently, before you get to things like classes that can retheme as Rangers but use different primary mechanics or background.
>>
>>51641844
You can trade them as long as those archetypes don't conflict. And then you need to decide whether these archetypes are worth it because many are objectively worse than others.
>>
>>51633441
Well, the creator obviously did a poor job with his bait because it's easily read as the dragon representing any tough encounter, and as such, the OC spread widely for its unintended message. The origins of the work are irrelevant here. Bait isn't bait if it doesn't bait anyone, just as OC isn't OC if no one saves and reposts.

Also, either the person you're replying to is actually baiting, or he's actually autistic. Or just such a dense motherfucker he can't articulate a point without being seriously pressed, nor can he defend it in any way once its wrenched out of him. The only autistic thing you've done is keep responding to him.

>>51633074
>>51633123
>>51633237
>>51633316
>>51633357
the fuck is wrong with you? Do you need help?
>>
>>51641864
This is only true in PF, the diluation of your character concept. Namely because you come from the PF mentality where multiclassing is worse than taking a straight class.
This isn't true in 5e.

Also I can't find anything about polearms as a PF ranger.
>>
>>51641786
>Still Dishonest
Paizo used to just do Dragon Magazine (as the official publishers) and their own adventures. They had few choices when WotC suddenly terminated their Dragon contract to publish their shittier online version in-house, and 4e's initial license was downright caustic to anyone else trying to publish for it. Paizo looked at their legally available options, and chose the one that allowed them to continue publishing their adventures and stay in business.

>How badly does it penalize multiclass?
Ah. Pathfinder discourages multiclassing in that many class features cease scaling when you're taking other classes. Most of the time Pathfinder Multiclassing ends up being a 2 level dip. It's a weighing of "How much can I afford to sacrifice from multiclassing without crippling myself?" Additionally, There are "Capstones" at 8 and near 20, which are intentionally stronger abilities than you get in a typical level, further encouraging people to stay in a single class.
>>
>>51634607
>drink swamp water
>"that's gross dude"
>that's just, like, your opinion, man
>>
File: 1.png (141KB, 1280x680px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
141KB, 1280x680px
>>51641854
>>
File: 2.png (144KB, 1280x680px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
144KB, 1280x680px
>>51641854
At least 2 people.
>>
>>51639904
Synthesist is the weakest summoner, why would someone ban it?

Oh right, Pathfinder causes brain damage.
>>
>>51641896
Good for them, i don't give a single fuck that WOTC cut their funding for an out of hous dragon magazine, my objection is with the fact that they took what wasn't theirs(legally or not doesn't matter) barely fucking changed it and then published it as their own thing, I call that dishonest. I'm right, you're not.

So it's not really a penalty so much as it reinforces minmaxing but typically within classes, that's fine.
>>
>>51641892
Yeah. I misremembered the separate category for it. You just take the Two Handed category for Polearms.
>>
>>51639808
B/X > OD&D > 1e > 4e > 5e > 2e > 3e > PF
>>
>>51641967
Similarly, you can take blade mastery and spear mastery in 5e.
>>
>>51641892
The issue isn't the viability of multiclassing, it's about the flavour. Strictly speaking, the moment you take a dip in Fighter for something, your Ranger theme will be diluted in part because you've become a more honed martial artist - with fighter being an extremely light example - and your Ranger theming is delayed, potentially preventing you from playing the character you want another level. This isn't true of Pathfinder, where I'll have a wider range of options simply because there is, in a measurable and clearly visible way, an objectively wider range of options. The debate on viability is another issue entirely. Pathfinder is a broken mess, but I can't imagine how anyone could look at the spread and think it's not a significantly larger amount.

In regards to polearms, you can just take Two Handed and then pick up your polearm related features at convenience through your natural progression. You have a wide range of what kind of polearm fighting you're doing as well, whether you theme as someone playing keep away with your range or abuse it to pursue and pin targets down.
>>
>>51641952
>>51641939
>>51641854
>>51641809
Who said what is irrelevant on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>51641985
>Listing old school D&D and 4e among 3.PF and 5e
Not this shit again
>>
>>51642018
Why not? 3e is a more smooth transition from 2e than any of the later editions had.
>>
>>51642000
>an objectively wider range of options
That's not true when the strongest melee ranger is a ranger with a bow starting at lvl 6 (archery style -> point blank master)
>>
>>51642000
You're also comparing two products with different design philosophies, 5e is more about balance and Wizards is publishing slowly with a lot of playtesting, Paizo publishes something new much more frequently and gives no fucks about balance. one is also much older than the other. The disparity in your "options" will disappear in time.
>>
>>51642038
So it's like B/X, OD&D and 1e, then 4e on it's own, then 2e, 3.PF and 5e?
>>
>>51642000
Then it's your mentality of the one-class mind coming into play and not actually a relevant point of class dilution.
Multiclassing with ranger into other classes in 5e is still a continuation of your ranger theme. The only difference is that in PF doing something like this becomes mechanically incompetent.

For PF, how are the options stacking in actual play? You yourself said a lot of its class features aren't actually good. Then this class is fast becoming a class with wasted potential and a class no one would want to take.
>>
>>51642040
>>51642046
Optimization isn't the concern, I would never defend Pathfinder as a well built or remotely balanced game. Hell, I fucking hate the system.

I just think it's fucking ridiculous to make a claim that 5e gives you a wide range of options when the ubiquitous character of a wilderness spear ambusher still asks for some compromises in 5e, when in Pathfinder I can theme myself as an admittedly weaker, but still playable pirate captain who can tie in his character with his gameplay by improving his crewmate's ability to focus and flank a target and scares enemies into submission.
>>
>>51642046
>The disparity in your "options" will disappear in time.
This. Guess what people said about PF when it came out? It didn't have the same amount of options as 3.5 and even today stuff like psionics are still not availiable without third party content.
Additionally, the extra content in PF killed any class identity they had, because with archetypes every class can be class x but with features from class y
>>
>>51642051
As far as I see it, yeah. Except if you place old school on the left & new school to the right, 1e leans towards the right and 2e & 5e leans more towards the left than 3e, if that makes sense. So like

0e, B/X, 1e // 2e, 5e, 3.PF

and let's call 4e the third position.
>>
>>51642090
>the ubiquitous character of a wilderness spear ambusher still asks for some compromises in 5e
How? And what compromises does it suffer?
>>
>>51642090
It does give you enough options for a game that is barely out of its infancy, you want the fact you can't be Spear-chucker Fucking Jones(even though you can it's just not the most optimal) as a ranger out of the gate fixed, take a Survey on WOTC website, and contribute to the further development of the game.
>>
>>51641868
Of course. And sometimes they won't be. But often they will.

>>51641892
Which is to say that multiclassing does not make you stronger than a straight class.

Though in 5e that's still the case, where additional attack is concerned, and where the spell levels you can cast and spells known are concerned.

>>51641960
Penalty in that you can make a character who is so far behind as to be useless through over-multiclassing. But yes, there are no additional penalties steeped on top of that like in 3.5.

If someone gives you written permission to do a thing, it's not dishonest to do it. I don't understand how you're struggling with this concept.

>>51641994
No no, I mean you can take the a *ranger combat style* that applies for it. Rather than having to ranger combat style into something else.

>>51642016
Until someone starts claiming that several people are all one person and it ceases to make sense. Then showing they are not all one person can make it clear that not all of the points he's responding to are being made by the same person.

>>51642000
What? No, that's ridiculous. Character Class is just a loosely themed collection of character abilities. Any fluff that can make sense with it is completely legitimate. If I build a quarterstaff wielding ranger and theme it appropriately, I'm a monk-hermit. Do the same thing with a Magus? I can be a monastic mystic-guru monk. Find effective crunch to match up with your fluff as best you can, and have-at!

>>51642051
(B/X/OD&D/1e), (3.0/3.5/PF/FantasyCraft/True20/Conan/D20Modern/StarWars/SpyCraft), 5e, 4e

>>51642093
>the extra content in PF killed any class identity they had
Classes aren't isolated chunks, they're on a sort of continuum, allowing you to build concepts between archetypal concepts. That's one of the best parts of Pathfinder.
>>
>>51642090
Take the ranger, take the defensive fighting style or dueling if you want to fight with the spear in one hand. Wield a spear, go hunter's conclave and ambush to your heart's content.
>>
>>51642093
>>51642093
>The disparity in your "options" will disappear in time.
We'll see. It's been 3.5 years. 5e does not have what I would consider 3.5 years worth of options. Maybe in 2025 you'll be right If they're planning to draw this edition out over a couple decades or something.

>>51642141
>Just out of its infancy
3.5 Years. It should be well into hitting its stride at this point, and hitting its peak in a year or so. 4e Only lasted 7 years, 3.5 is half way to 7. WotC controlled 3.x lasted 9, and it's over a third of the way to that. Pathfinder is 7.5, again, 3.5 years is near the half way point.
>>
>>51632573
You can break the system very easily. If you want to have gun just dont. And play with people who dont.

PF have billion more option than 5e, and you can make alot more diverse and unique special snowflakes. You dont just "roleplay" that your fighter prefer defencive combat style, you can pick feats that actually show that.
>>
>>51642165
>3.0/3.5/PF/FantasyCraft/True20/Conan/D20Modern/StarWars/SpyCraft
You could've just said "d20"
>>
>>51642175
PF is closer to 9 years old.
>>
>>51642175
Content inflation is not a good thing. Look at what happened to Minecraft and Terraria for vidya examples.
>>
>>51642187
I suppose. Then they might have thought I just meant 3.x and d20 modern though.
>>
>>51642165
Depending entirely on how many levels you put into the multiclass

I'm not struggling with anything, it's dishonest because they didn't take it and change it enough that it could truly be called their own even after years it's still basically 3.5 with slightly different mechanics at its core.
>>
>>51642175
Has it really been that long already? I didn't even think there were 10 books out yet, including the core three.
>>
>>51642175
5e was initially released in july 2014 it's not even 3 years old yet, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>51642195
August 2009. It turns 8 in August.

Unless we're counting playtests? If we're counting playtests, than 5e isn't 3.5 (August or September 2014), it's almost 5 (May 2012)
>>
>>51642175
I still have a 4e PHB on my desk at all time. I have a monitor sitting on it to get it at just the right height. Turned the other two books into dice trays.
>>
>>51642224
>>51642221
You're right. 2.5. When I was doing my math I was thinking summer 2013.

That's not nearly as bad.
>>
>>51642201
After all these years I would say PF is significantly different that you can't really mix and match character options, the math isn't quite the same, and the character design metagame and process are very different.

If someone asks me if I want to play PF I will say yes. If they offer 3.5, I will say no.

It's more than a coat of paint.
>>
>>51642165
>Of course. And sometimes they won't be. But often they will.
If the options are bad and shit, there's no point in choosing them. Which ultimately means these options are worthless.
If you need to wade through these options to actually find something worthwhile, it makes the point and fun of playing the system even less.

>Which is to say that multiclassing does not make you stronger than a straight class.

>Though in 5e that's still the case, where additional attack is concerned, and where the spell levels you can cast and spells known are concerned.
But many of the class features in 5e aren't dependent on the class level and you gain the most out of multiclassing.
This isn't true in PF.

>No no, I mean you can take the a *ranger combat style* that applies for it. Rather than having to ranger combat style into something else.
The 5e ranger gets archery, close quarters shooting, defensive, dueling, mariner, tunnel fighting, and two-weapon fighting styles. These rangers also get proficiencies in martial weapons.
These fighting styles are also deliberately vague enough that you choose whatever weapon is appropriate and choose a fighting style that suits your character.
>>
>>51641958
Because Synthesist can be a Fighter about three times better then an actual Fighter.

This made the people who play Fighters mad, so they complained to the people who oversee PFS. The PFSociety Rulers then said, "Fucketh the Summoner." and it was banned from play.

Later, the Unchained Summoner fix (mostly nerf) came out and once again the PFSociety Rulers said, "Fucketh the summoner, one one may play a summoner unless it of the Unchained." and now you have to buy the unchained book if you want to play a lower powered Summoner.

You must remember, these are the people who banned Evil as a option for a player alignment.
>>
>>51642294
But the master summoner makes a lot of classes irrelevant and it usually is banned way after the synthesist.
>>
>>51642294
I'd ban evil as an alignment for PFS. I fucking love me an evil character in a good campaign, but I've rarely met anyone who I'd trust to handle one.
>>
>>51642280
Whatever, you and I obviously have different marker for what is a dishonest business practice, and what isn't, and for me, no matter what you do later to differentiate yourself from your predecessor, if you copied them nearly verbatim initially, you're dishonest and nothing you do has merit in my view.
>>
This is all well and good, but how is the PF ranger and 5e ranger in actual play?
Comparing hard numbers and "options" is irrelevant and also downright useless.
>>
>>51642294
"Unchained" Summoner isn't meaningfully weaker than regular Summoner. It's just more fluff-restrictive with more of a "pick from a list" eidolon rather than freeform lego monsters.

And a couple eidolon evolutions had their point costs changed. But I mean, they could have just errata'ed the points costs.

>>51642281
You know, this thread has me viewing 5e a bit more favorably. I still don't like the clearly defined classes as much as the ambiguous piecemeal hybridization you can do in Pathfinder, but nothing is perfect.

Still not convinced the new skill system is an improvement or that dis/adv is sufficient, or that feats costing ASIs is a good idea, but for class gameplay it seems better than I remember it now that I examine it more closely.
>>
>>51642294
>>You must remember, these are the people who banned Evil as a option for a player alignment.
That makes sense because PFS is a public game and evil alignments might invite people to grief other players. Not that it matters because PFS scenarios are devoid of any form of RP, but it at least makes sense from the public angle

>>51642303
That's because with the Master Summoner it's not as evident as with the Synthesis. Heck, regular summoners already bring a better fighter than the fighter himself, but few people complain - because it's just an add on, a pet of sorts and then they look at the summoner itself and say "well that guy is a weakling so it's ok that he has a protector". Twisted, I know, but that's how a lot of people who play PF think.
Synth smacks you in the face with how broken the game is though, so people get all defensive about him
>>
>>51642303
That's because the Synthesist is more obviously Fighter+

The problem is the refusal by idiots to acknowledge that the Fighter is worse than MOST classes.
>>
>>51633441
>I am not saying this out of an assumption, but literally it was stated by the creator in the thread where that picture was made. That image originates on /tg/.

Well, clearly that means it should be no problem for you to link to the relevant thread then.
>>
>>51642334
PF Ranger is around the top of the bottom, but it's Pathfinder so there's a huge difference between the top of the bottom and the bottom of the top.

5e Ranger is a piece of shit, only a piece of shit in 5e is still perfectly playable and might steal the show with a little luck or piloting even if the rest of your group is optimized.
>>
>>51642341
They still didn't weaken or restrict the number of spells the unchained summoner gets, which forms another crux of its brokenness.
>>
>>51636250

No true Scotsman
>>
>>51642356
This thread has always been talking about the UA ranger.
>>
>>51642361
It's no more "Broken" than a Sorcerer, or Oracle, and less than a Wizard/Arcanist/Cleric/Druid/etc. Which is to say: Its the martial that belongs in a party with other T1 and T2 Classes.
>>
>>51642341
No worries, you're a lot better than many others who'd just dismiss any discussion out of hand and continue to sing PF's praises.
I got burnout on PF.

Agree with you in that 5e does need more options and does require a shift in thinking of what genre it occupies.
>>
>>51642403
>>51642341
But disagree that 5e has rigidly defined or structured classes, it deliberately is designed so it caters for variety.
>>
>>51642403
Well, as I said WAAAAAY upthread, I will play 5e in the future, I even recently picked up Out of the Abyss.

But my group does prefer PF, and as a player, I currently prefer PF over 5e. (as a GM, I suspect I'd prefer 5e)

5e with a bunch of houserules, or 5e in the future may be a different story though, or variant, classless/point-buy 5e or some other weird variant, may be a completely different story.

>>51642416
Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I can't go Ranger (or whatever) and trade away the features I don't want for other features (and keep the ones I do), or take it as a sort of hybrid with other classes.
>>
My only issue with 5e is that I can't play a Slayer ala Pathfinder. I was waiting for the class as long as I've been roleplaying, it lets me put up with a system that I otherwise hate.

Someone build me one in 5e.
>>
File: tumblr_mg203sqtbv1r7llf5o1_1280.png (568KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mg203sqtbv1r7llf5o1_1280.png
568KB, 1280x720px
>>51642341
I wasn't choosing my words carefully but unchained summoner spells were changed, a good forth of the their spells were pushed up a level (most, rightly so). But somewhere around 36 spells were removed from their spell list while only 9 were added. I'd call that a nerf.

But as you brought up, eidolons are now restricted and less freeform. Freeform lego monsters is exactly what I wanted. I was never mad about the clauses attached to several evolutions limited them further but those can be considered a nerf too. It also makes it much harder to make non-standard eliodons thanks to a lowered evo-point pool and this hurts especially with the alignment restrictions.

I'm not being objective here, but you must admit, limitation means less choice.
>>
>>51642479
Build it yourself pussy, refluff like a motherfucker
>>
>>51642403
Both will continue to suck as long as they are stuck using shitty war game miniatures based mechanics. Completely static, blow by blow combat is boring and makes 99% of the fantasy schlock that inspired these games utterly impossible.

>>51642356
Has Ranger ever been good? Is it really even possible? I struggle to even understand how that abomination can be linked to Aragorn. It's like a fighter with a lot of tacky shit glued on to make it more elfy. Fucking combat styles, favored enemies, animal companions (who can't forget Aragorn's animal companion!) and random spellcasting.
>>
>>51642479
Ah. For me, the closest to that want for me is the Synthesist. Followed by Master Summoner, a Diablo II style horde Necromancer (Oracle is the closest I've seen), and A beastmaster class of some sort with like, 3-5 customizable eidolon style beast companions (with no requisite creature subtype), and little else.
>>
>>51642514
Refluff mother fucker, it'll fix all your problems.
>>
>>51642493
Oh, its strictly less fun than the original, for sure. I'm just saying it's still T2 and still outshining the fighter.
>>
File: 1267851340069.jpg (272KB, 1250x898px) Image search: [Google]
1267851340069.jpg
272KB, 1250x898px
>>51642524
I'll agree to that without argument.
>>
>>51642502
Fuck refluff. Alchemist ended my love of refluff forever.

I don't want to play a class that's like a stranger wandering around my house wearing the skin of a dead friend as a mask and constantly trying to assure me everything is ok.
>>
>>51642536
Then homebrew it, just keep class balance of 5e in mind, and don't send it overboard.
>>
>>51642502
I think he's wanting Pathfinder style Slayer gameplay in 5e, not fluff.

>>51642520
I do refluff. Like, my "several classes that can all be "Monk" comments upthread. Fluff isn't the problem. It's a lack of passable crunch to refluff into those things.

Show me a class centered on having multiple lego monster pick and choose combat pets in 5e as its primary feature.

Or one that lets you have 30+ Undead (or other creatures) following you around following your orders.

Or a master summoner/synthesist analogue.

What can you refluff into those things? I'm pretty sure the answer is "there are no such options to refluff into that."

>>51642506
So what combat system do you suggest instead?

>>51642536
Yeah, I can see Alchemist being another one thats not a good fit for refluffing.
>>
How is multiclassing in 5th, and how does it work?
>>
>>51642461
>I can't go Ranger (or whatever) and trade away the features I don't want for other features (and keep the ones I do), or take it as a sort of hybrid with other classes.
But don't you take the relevant class features and replace them? There's no keeping the features you already had.

>>51642506
>Has Ranger ever been good? Is it really even possible? I struggle to even understand how that abomination can be linked to Aragorn. It's like a fighter with a lot of tacky shit glued on to make it more elfy. Fucking combat styles, favored enemies, animal companions (who can't forget Aragorn's animal companion!) and random spellcasting.
The 5e UA ranger is actually good, the PF ranger is shit.
>>
>>51642589
Like 3.X/3.PF, but with a special rule that combines your spell slots (but not spells known), and most class features don't scale with your class level so there's less penalty for multiclassing.
>>
>>51642536
>Fuck refluff. Alchemist ended my love of refluff forever.
Wat?
>>
>>51642568
Exactly what does the Slayer do

I can tell you right now you're never getting that shit in 5e, you might get the 5 creatures but 30 undead that follow you around and are basically your own personal army, no, as servants or defenders at a home base perhaps but they'd be bound there.

>>51642589
Are you alive? if so, you can multiclass, if you want more indepth shit go ask 5eg or download their trove and READ THE FUCKING BOOKS NIGGA, READ.
>>
>>51642593
>There's no keeping the features you already had.
What?
>don't you take the relevant class features and replace them?
Replace the class features you don't want, keep the features you do want, and start with the class chassis that's closest to the character you want to play.
That's what I like in PF that 5e really lacks.
>>
>>51642620
So basically being able to drop class abilities you don't like to pick something you do?
Why don't you just refluff or homebrew it a little to make it what you want rather than expect the system to do it for you, Wizards is putting a lot of emphasis on that because they are wary of CONTENT INFLATION
>>
>>51642620
You're talking about archetypes, yes?

Or something else?
>>
>>51642605
Slayer basically gets favoured enemy on any single target with some action expenditure and also gets sneak attacks.
>>
>>51642605
>Slayer
Fluff?
>Monster Hunter/Bounty Hunter type dealy.

Crunch
>Combat Heavy Class (Like Ranger or Barbarian or Fighter)
>Tracking and Stalking abilities
>Sneak Attack
Slayer Talents (Pick and Choose)
>http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer/slayer-talents#TABLE-Slayer-Talents
>Size Up Opponents HP
>Poison Use
>Disable Device
>Ranger Combat Style
>Limited Access to Rogue Talents (Rogue Tricks)
>>
>>51642649
So assassin rogue essentially, just EDGY TO THE MAX?
>>
>>51642605
>I can tell you right now you're never getting that shit in 5e
I am well aware of that. Not all of those things would be gamebreaking if implemented well, but 5e clearly doesn't like you controlling several bodies running around the battlefield.

But no amount of refluffing fills an unfilled mechanical gameplay craving. That was my point.
>>
>>51642638
Pathfinder way overdoes it releasing a shitty book or two every month with one maybe decent option between tons of awful ones that might literally never see a single game anywhere in the world.

I wish 5e was less cautious though. A lot of the UA stuff is right enough for release that I'm always wondering when they'll get compiled beside new toys.
>>
>>51642602
>>51642568

I fucking love Alchemist, but goddamn they had to torture the fuck out of the IG explanations to make that refluff of spells into huckable potions work. Everything I hate about it is because they couldn't spare a little leeway in their ridiculously unbalanced game to make it less obvious that Alchemist is a refluffed Wizard-thing hybrid.

>>51642568
I just want to see a system that isn't built on grid-based miniature combat. I want me and big fuck-off shield to be able to intercept an attack aimed at an ally because I could dive into the way. Or to pace an enemy keeping myself between him and our bitch in a dress (wizard). Maybe drop from a 8ft stone wall onto a guard's back, sword first. And fuck me, would I love a game were every asshole can't see 360 degrees around him at all time once his magic initiative roll switch is triggered.

AoO were a piss poor replacement for being able to describe what you are doing in combat, and maybe rolling some fucking dice to see who can manage to pull it off. Nope, just move three squares and take a single swing. Now stand there with your dick in your hand while he takes a 5ft step and walks around you, whistling, to sword-fuck your magic user to death.
>>
>>51642685
But you can multiclass and the system doesn't penalize you for it.
>>
>>51642687
I kinda like over-doing it with retarded specialist stuff, like in the PF monthly magazine thing. I love the shit out of the Torch Bearer stuff. It will probably never make into one of my games anyway, but I like having it.
>>
>>51642690
You can do theatre of the mind in 5e, in fact it encourages it.
>>
>>51642620
How are you doing this?
>>
>>51642660
So you want a ranger with sneak attack, and selective favored enemy via expending an action, this would be fairly simple with a custom feat for sneak attacks on non-rogues and using any of the ranger archetypes, We don't really have rules for poison crafting or so on yet, but there are some decent homebrews for it.
>>51642685
Yeah because it's a pain in the ass for a GM to balance without invalidating everybody elses skill set, most of your requested shit is up to GM discretion, I'd let you have an army to defend your base, and summon 2- 4 creature in battle but require concentration to keep control of them.
>>51642687
Yep, and probably in the next players hand book.
>>
>>51642641
Archetypes, or (better) ACFs like they started to put out near the end of 3e that are 1 for 1.

>>51642638
>drop class abilities you don't like to pick something you do?
Not necessarily don't like, but don't want for this particular character, yes.

>CONTENT INFLATION
There's nothing wrong with having a billion options if they're all well designed.

>Refluff
Refluffing doesn't help you when what youre dissatisfied with the mechanics. I can't refluff the ability to talk to animals into an ability to disable magical devices, for instance.

>Homebrew
I'd be wanting to homebrew most of my characters I make. If I decide go this route, I'll save myself a world of headaches over time and homebrew point buy classes for mix and match.

>>51642687
So don't buy the shitty books and stick to the good ones, and use d20pfsrd for building your characters, like veeryone else does.

>>51642696
Unless one of your classes is a spellcasting class, or fighter, and you're not eager to have shitty spells or miss out on several attacks.

>>51642724
Large Class Selection, PF Style Mix & Match Archetypes. ACFs would be better though.

There's also the hybrid class homebrew project for PF which is pretty good. I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it in play.
>>
>>51642741
With archetypes you are replacing a class feature though, you don't get to keep what you had.
>>
>>51637013
I fail to see how the name of the spell lines up with what it does

Also, don't reach weapons suck in Pathfinder?

Also also. "use your caster level as your base attack bonus" should be on nothing, ever
>>
>>51642738
>[An army is] a pain in the ass for a GM to balance
Yep. Though the other things are not necessarily, they just don't exist in 5e. A character who's role is that of a Shadowrun Rigger but in D&D (Control several Pets/Drones as your core character ability) is not inherently broken, but there is no existing class for it.

As I reiterated afterwards, you can't refluff what there is no applicable crunch for.
>>
>>51642741
>CONTENT INFLATION
>There's nothing wrong with having a billion options if they're all well designed.
Except this is the opposite of what is happening in PF, and if you're a martial the devs will actively and aggressively nerf your shit.
>>
>>51642754
But you're not replacing all of them. You replace the ones that you want to get rid of, and avoid archetypes that replace the ones you want to keep.

>>51642758
>don't reach weapons suck in Pathfinder?
No? Why would you think that?
They're pretty good. Especially when combined with Combat Reflexes for multiple AoOs from people passing through your reach.
>>
>>51642741
If you're going point buy just use gurps faggot.

Refluff the feature you don't like into something you do, as i'm assuming this shit is for 1st level, there's no reason you should want to change your BASIC training

There can be, there is such a things as too many options.

What mechanic is dissatisfying exactly?

Use Gurps Faggot
>>51642766
What is Necromancer, Death Domain cleric, Druid, and any other caster class in 5e with summon spells on their spell list? you can summon creature how many is reliant on a number of factors first being how much bullshit your gm is willing to deal with.
>>
>>51642741
>Unless one of your classes is a spellcasting class, or fighter, and you're not eager to have shitty spells or miss out on several attacks.
Looks like you don't understand how 5e multiclassing works and is still thinking of multiclassing in terms of PF multiclassing.
>>
>>51637013
>~150 gp item
>Be a martial until the spell runs out.

That's kindof neat. Too expensive to do every fight, but it could come up occasionally.
>>
>>51642771
I'm not saying PF has amazing Quality Assurance, I'm saying a fear of "Content Inflation" is stupid.
>>
>>51642781
>But you're not replacing all of them. You replace the ones that you want to get rid of, and avoid archetypes that replace the ones you want to keep.
But you're not choosing which ones to get rid of, the classes you are taking have the say in which class features you get rid of.

That's what I'm saying, you're getting rid of class features in favor of other ones.
Taking a 5e archetype means you get class features in addition to the ones you already have.
>>
>>51642781
I thought that reach weapons couldn't be used against adjacent enemies in Pathfinder, which strikes me as a significant weakness
>>
>>51642811
Many people equate content inflation with oversaturation and poorly designed mechanics, which given the glut of 3e, PF and 4e 1pp and 3pp and the vast majority of it being really poorly designed isn't devoid of truth at all.
>>
>>51642713
That would be more helpful if the rules weren't the same miniature based system with new modifiers that we've had since 3.0

Except with mildly retarded surprise rules now.
>>
>>51642799
Its possible I misread my 5e Multiclassing section before making that post. Do I *Not* get a bunch of shitty low level spells in a single combined pool of slots?

Do I *NOT* need to take several levels in a specific martial class in order to get "extra attack?" If I "extra attack" in two sources, both of which could have gotten more than 2 attacks total, do I get a third attack?

Because unless I misunderstood something big:

>Shitty Low Level Spells
Yep.
>Lose Attacks
Yep.
>>
>>51642851
They're not miniature based and the surprise rules are pretty fucking clear you roll initiative like usual, but if the enemy is surprised they can't act for their first turn.
>>51642864
It's less optimal yeah, but if you are a roleplayer and not a paizo cock sucking munchkin, what does that matter? also spell slots are now more like mana than what they used to be.
>>
>>51642822
Maybe an overreaction to reach weapon abuse in 3.5, but not a terrible one. Using a halberd against someone within licking distance is really not ideal. Should have got you fucked like a melee archer instead maybe.
>>
>>51642790
I can and do play GURPS. I quite like it. The reason I like GURPS is similar to the reason I like Pathfinder. GURPS is a bit too fiddly though.

>>51642790
>What mechanic is dissatisfying exactly?
Being forced into taking any mechanic that doesn't match the character concept you have in mind because "there's not a class for that".

>>51642820
Ah. Yes, 5e Archetypes don't replace anything, they're really more "Subclasses". It's not really "Extra". You don't have a full class if you take no Subclasses. I'm not even sure you can take no subclasses.

But if a thing you don't want on your character is one of the features that's not an subclass feature, in 5e you're stuck with it. In Pathfinder you can replace it by choosing an archetype closer to the concept you have in mind.

>>51642842
I want over saturation, I just would prefer it with good quality control. Where we disagree is I'll take oversaturation with garbage options to sift through over a scarcity of options.
>>
>>51642888
They are exactly the same basic mechanics since 3.0. Getting rid of all the examples and pictures and changing square to radius doesn't change that. You've got a hotbar worth of very specific actions you can take and that's your fucking lot.
>>
>>51642851
Have you even looked at or touched 5e at all? Or are you just spouting memes?
>>
>>51642908
what mechanic are you forced to take?
>>
>>51642888
>You don't lose out on anything by multiclassing in 5e! You must not know what you're talking about!!1!
>Examples of stuff you lose out on from multiclassing in 5e.
>That only counts if you're a "paizo cock sucking munchkin"
Wew. You sure showed me.

I mean, you lose out on all sorts of shit in PF from multiclassing. That's why people like ACFs and Archetypes. But it seems a little disingenuous to claim multiclassing as a no-loss alternative to Archetypes in 5e when that's obviously and demonstrably untrue.

You simply lose *less* from multiclassing than you did in prior editions.
>>
>>51642822
Between your 5-ft step, and all the free attacks you're getting on enemy turns, it's not so bad. But I have seen players quickdraw a sword and stab a guy who gets too close.
>>
>>51642962
Nobody said it's no loss, it's just not as heavily penalized because YOU CAN STILL TAkE THE FUCKING ARCHETYPES WHEN YOU LEVEL UP IN THAT CLASS AND MANY ARCHETYPE MILESTONES ARE KEYED TO CHARACTER LEVEL NOT CLASS LEVEL.
>>
>>51642953
Any and all class features you do not want on your character, that are not "archetype class features" on a class with other things that you do want on the character.

Example: A character who mostly fits the ranger concept, but you dont want favored enemies, and want something else to replace them. In 5e you're stuck with them, in Pathfinder you could trade your Favored enemy for something else.
>>
>>51642864
"It works similarly to 3.5 where you would have lets say 5 levels of fighter and 5 levels of wizard, gaining all the 1-5 class options of both.

The largest difference in 5e is that if you combine two classes with spellcasting they get a single pool of spell slots based on their total level. The spells they know/can prepare is still based off the individual class levels, but the number of spells they can cast between rests is based off their total class level.

For example a Cleric 5/Wizard 5 character would prepare two pools of spells one for a level 5 cleric, one for a level 5 wizard. The number of spells they can cast from both these pools combined is the equivalent of a level 10 character and based off a table in the multi-class section of the PHB.

The bonus here is that even though you may only know 3rd level cleric and wizard spells, you would have 5th level spell slots like a level 10 character so you can cast your scaling spells more potently. You could cast a magic missile like a level 10 character even though only 5 of your 10 levels are wizard.

Edit: You need an ability score of at least 13 in the second class's primary ability before you can multi-class into it, you also get a selection of proficiencies the first time you pick up a level of another class."
You seem to be misunderstanding.
>>
>>51643006
Which is why they tell you to talk with your DM in the fucking book on customizing your class, you don't like it? CHANGE IT
>>
>>51642938
I literally went and read over the combat section after you said it encouraged theater of the mind. That is a filthy lie.

Maybe you need to go back and read it your damn self.
>>
>>51642981
Use a halfling sized polearm so you can wield it one handed, and then use the Shield Bash feats to handle adjacent enemies.
>>
>>51642981
But it does fail against more mobs

You can't 5-foot-step out of being flanked
>>
>>51643031
it's not in the combat section, it's in the fucking DMG and PHB, and it does through-out encourage theater of the mind, by not requiring miniature for every little fucking thing.
>>
>>51642992
To clarify, That post was (I thought) very clearly referring to Pathfinder style replace-stuff archetypes (hence the mention of Alternate-Class-Features) not 5e Subclasses.

I was told "Refluff!!!" and "You can multiclass!!!" as if that somehow helped me if I wanted a Ranger who progressed with Sneak Attack instead of Favored Enemy (as an example)

I pointed out that doesn't work.

You then throw a fit over it in ALL CAPS!
>>
>>51642908
>Ah. Yes, 5e Archetypes don't replace anything, they're really more "Subclasses". It's not really "Extra". You don't have a full class if you take no Subclasses. I'm not even sure you can take no subclasses.
The archetypes are built in, but you gain the features of what you get as the archetype in addition to what you'd normally be getting in the full class.

This is the difference between 5e and PF. In 5e, you 're still gaining, in PF you must replace and you must hope the PF archetypes you are choosing match what you want to hope to achieve character and concept wise.
>>51642908
>I want over saturation, I just would prefer it with good quality control. Where we disagree is I'll take oversaturation with garbage options to sift through over a scarcity of options.
Isn't this tortuous and a waste of time?
>>
>>51643050
5e encourages theatre of the mind in the same way that it encourages HP as being abstract representations of combat capability rather than meat points

ie. It says it's doing one thing, then does the complete opposite of that mechanically
>>
>>51643020
Oh, I know. 5e Multiclassing isn't perfect, but it's a step forward from 3e multiclassing. It's just a poor substitute for 3e Archetypes, and that's the use that was being pushed as though it was the solution to all character wants that cannot be solved by refluff.

>>51643023
>HOMEBREW Anger Grr!
Right. As I said. 5e would require more frequent homebrew to fill less typical character concepts, where pathfinder is more flexible with such things. I don't know why you're having an anyeurism over it. Glad you agree with me.
>>
>>51643041
And thats when you might quickdraw the longsword and use it one handed and use your other hand to carry (but not wield) the polearm.
>>
>>51643072
It doesn't even do that much. At least not with a faggy term like theater of the mind. The word theater only appears once in the PHB and it's talking about an actual theater, in the features of the Entertainer background.

But you're right on. This a particular gem I noted.

>In combat, characters and monsters are in constant
>motion, often using movement and position to gain
>the upper hand.

There are then absolutely no rules that would represent that in the slightest. Quite the opposite since Disengage takes your entire ability to act for a round and is 100% roll free foolproof.
>>
>>51643062
Ask your DM, to allow you to switch out the features it's as simple as that, there I fixed it for you.
>>51643072
The first one is a lie in the DMG it literally says play how you want and lists theater of the mind first, as for HP i plan on doing exactly that by ruling that 1/4th of HP is meat points, the rest is the abstracted part
>>51643092
Or you just ask to have the feature instead of something else trade what you want for what you don't want, DM's are usually okay with that, unless you're trying to break the system. Pathfinder is absolute shit, tho.
>>
>>51643066
>in PF you must replace and you must hope the PF archetypes you are choosing match what you want to hope to achieve character and concept wise.
Sure. But in 5e, if the feature you're looking to opt out of isn't an "archetype feature" there's no built in way to do it, you need to homebrew and hope your GM lets you play the character you want to play.

>Isn't this torturous and a waste of time?
That would be the trade off I'm saying is worth making. I'd rather have more good options and have to search for them than not have them at all because they don't exist.
>>
>>51643137
Ask DM, switch feature not want, for what want, very simple, caveman get, why you not?
>>
>>51643130
>There are then absolutely no rules that would represent that in the slightest.
This is the justification for a lack of facing rules.

>>51643133
>>51643159
>Ask your DM, to allow you to switch out the features
>ask to have the feature instead of something else trade what you want for what you don't want
Right. Homebrew requiring GM approval. As I said.

Sure, some GMs are okay with that. Not all of them though.

Switching features without published rules allowing you to do so leaves it in the realm of nebulous "homebrew ask your GM". Having published "these features can be freely exchanged" raises your chances of approval from half decent so long as it's not organized play, to 100%, and allows you to do so in organized play, if that's your thing.
>>
>>51643194
get a better Gm, don't blame the system because you have a fucking rules lawyer for a GM, also don't play in WOTC sponsored bullshit the rules lawyers are at their worst there.

So in essence you're asking for 1st level feat selection that allows you to switch out a feature for something else? Go bring the issue up in WOTC forums or in a survey on their website, idk, nor do I care, because you sound like a person with poor luck with GMs.
>>
>>51643050
It specifically calls out if you use miniatures, ie they're not necessary.
>>
>>51643275
That what i was saying.
>>
>>51643257
>asking for 1st level feat selection that allows you to switch out a feature for something else?
Not really "Asking" for anything.
I mean it would be nice.
I was just pointing out that this is something Pathfinder already has (and 3.5e has as well, to a more limited extent) which 5e does not.

Whole thing came out of a "You actually prefer PF over 5e? what could you possibly prefer in PF over 5e!?", and this was one of my examples.
>>
>>51643062
>"Refluff!!!" and "You can multiclass!!!"
No one has been saying it like that, stop acting like an autist and don't go full retard.
>>
>>51643133
Ah! That's handy. It still in no way makes the actual rules they wrote anything other than the pared down leftovers of the miniature based rules.

Such bravery on HP. Ruling it to be an abstraction like it has specifically been since 1974

>>51643194
There are no facing rules because facing didn't matter in the miniatures system. They didn't add rules. Since they dropped all the examples and illustrations, all mentions of facing went away.

It's pretty strongly implied that 360 vision is still the norm with those amazing surprise rules.
>>
>>51643092
>Oh, I know. 5e Multiclassing isn't perfect, but it's a step forward from 3e multiclassing. It's just a poor substitute for 3e Archetypes, and that's the use that was being pushed as though it was the solution to all character wants that cannot be solved by refluff.
5e does make refluffing everything easier, and you're a retard if you can't match the mechanics to suit.

5e multiclassing isn't a poor substitute to PF archetypes because they're trying to achieve different things.
>>
>>51643137
>Sure. But in 5e, if the feature you're looking to opt out of isn't an "archetype feature" there's no built in way to do it, you need to homebrew and hope your GM lets you play the character you want to play.
You don't need to do this because the 5e class features are actually well designed. Unlike in PF where the replacement is the only hope of getting something good. This is the difference between the systems, one is actually good and the other is holy shit terrible.
PF needs everything it can get to try to not be shit.

>Sure. But in 5e, if the feature you're looking to opt out of isn't an "archetype feature" there's no built in way to do it, you need to homebrew and hope your GM lets you play the character you want to play.
I'd rather watch paint dry.
>>
>>51643031
It specifically calls out if you use miniatures, ie they're not necessary.
>>
>>51643317
Look, my expert team of shitlords can recite The Gun is My Skill list by heart. I'm sure they'd get a tremendous laugh out twisting and shoehorning class after class out of a refluffed Barbarian, it won't make it not shit.
>>
>>51643317
>>5e multiclassing isn't a poor substitute to PF archetypes because they're trying to achieve different things.
I wasn't claiming they were attempting the same thing. I was refuting the notion that multiclassing was somehow a useful stand in for "class feature substitution"
>>
>>51643351
What the fuck are you blathering about? Use actually coherent sentences.
>>
>>51643294
Go ask for it then, If a player asked me if they could switch out a feature for another i'd ask what and why, and either approve or not based on their answers.
>>51643304
Does it matter that they're pared down, and I never claimed it was bravery, just that that's what I planned on doing, so *claps obnoxiously*.
>>
>>51643358
It can be because you're not actually losing out on much if you multiclass in 5e, unlike in other systems. But it doesn't mean absolute parity.
>>
>>51643339
>5e class features are actually well designed
What does this have to do with whether a class feature matches your concept? Simple example: Ranger without favored enemy. No special hatreds, no racial-specific enemy training.

So you don't want that class feature, you want something else, instead.

Pathfinder has built in support for swapping out class features. It's not a perfect swapping system, but it's more than nothing/homebrew/ask-your-GM-hope-for-the-best.
>>
>>51643383
You don't do session 0, huh?
>>
>>51643383
>Ranger without a favored enemy
Nature cleric multiclassed with fighter
>>
>>51643383
Because you don't need it to be replaced or substituted.

>Ranger without favored enemy
How is this done in PF?
>>
>>51643349
Which still doesn't change what the rules actually are, which is the same fucking basic rules written for use with minis in 3.0. They are, if anything, less friendly to having players describe what they're trying to accomplish and then arbitrating the results because they have less prescribed "actions" listed.

>>51643359
Be less retarded. I could refluff Barbarian into 47 different classes and it still wouldn't make them not shitty.

>>51643360
Less allowed options in combat, equals less freedom to try to do something not on the prescribed list. Many options and tactics removed, but few if any were added. Couldn't you go suck off 5e in it's thread?

You're not going to stop being wrong and fucking retarded any time soon here.
>>
>>51643360
Yeah, I would too. But I've met a lot of less than reasonable GMs who would not, and everything has to be by RAW.

>>51643396
I guess maybe Druid/Fighter? The Cleric wouldn't have opportunities for Animal Companions, right? But if the only thing that doesn't fit is Favored Enemy, Its always good to have the option to make the substitution.

>>51643393
You mean chat with the GM about building characters? That's always been a "Here are the guidelines, everybody emails their broad concept about what they intend to build, then shows up to game with characters done a week prior and signed off on by the GM, who likely didn't talk to you in real time, and just looked over a google doc and said yes or no"
>>
>>51643443
>Animal companions

Oh right, that bullshit

I keep forgetting that some people like having followers or companions or pets or summons. I could never understand why anyone would want any of that.

Which, considering how powerful summons are in 3.5 and it's offshoots, is probably why I could never really get into 3.5
>>
>>51643434
>Which still doesn't change what the rules actually are, which is the same fucking basic rules written for use with minis in 3.0. They are, if anything, less friendly to having players describe what they're trying to accomplish and then arbitrating the results because they have less prescribed "actions" listed.
How is this specifically a problem? And how does it detract from being a narrative focused roleplaying game when in combat?

>Be less retarded. I could refluff Barbarian into 47 different classes and it still wouldn't make them not shitty.
Then talk less like an autistic retard and more like a normal person.

The berserker barbarian may not be as good but it isn't as bad as PF classes can be. That's the thing, even when 5e are bad, they're still not as terrible as PF classes.
>>
D20 wars are pretty hilarious when d20 in general is one of the worst systems in existence.
>>
>>51643410
Couple Options:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes
Archetypes: Freebooter/Guide/Warden/Wild Hunter/Wild Stalker all replace FE with something else. You choose the one that you like most.

Hybrid Classes: Slayer (Ranger/Rogue) and Hunter (Ranger/Druid) both overlap a great deal with Ranger and one of them might be a good fit for what you want. They each also have their own archetypes to choose from (albeit not 36 of them).
>>
>>51643443
No I mean session 0, as in you get together and discuss this with everyone you're playing with a week before you play.

Then you're a good GM, Kudos, but as soon as i heard everything has to be RAW I'd be out, fuck em.
>>51643434
Except they tell you right in the fucking book to try anything you can think of, it's ultimately up to the GM whether it'll work or not, common sense rules generally apply, and for GM's they tell you to foster creativity in your players and not to bog them down with the fucking rules.
>>
>>51643383
>Simple example: Ranger without favored enemy. No special hatreds, no racial-specific enemy training.
How are you doing this in PF?
The archetypes that do replace it still get "favored enemies"
>>
>>51643481
They're still getting a "favored enemy" though, it isn't replaced entirely. Ie, the guide gets "At 1st level, once per day, the guide can focus on a single enemy within line of sight as a swift action. That creature remains the Ranger’s focus until it is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points or surrenders, or until the Ranger designates a new focus, whichever occurs first. The Ranger gains a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls against the target of his focus. At 5th level, and every five levels thereafter, this bonus increases by +2.

At 4th level, and every 3 levels thereafter, the Ranger can use this ability one additional time per day."

This isn't even very different to favored enemy, you're essentially getting a shittier-no-skills-given favored enemy.
>>
>>51643486
>as in you get together and discuss this with everyone you're playing with a week before you play.
Nope. The closest we ever got to that is talking with the GM one on one, which is fine so long as its a reasonable GM.

One of the guys thinks splats are bad because then he's not already very familiar with all the options. A few times he wanted to run a game "RAW, Core Only" in Pathfinder. I built a Wizard, and a Cleric who worshipped a god of war and refused to prepare healing spells, the time after that I went to build another wizard. He asked why, and I told him in Core only that's all I was willing to play. Since then he allows all sources like the rest of us.
>>
>>51643529
Well talking one on one is a fine substitute, but session 0 is a good idea in general, make sure everybody is on the same page.
>>
>>51643517
The objection wasn't "do more damage" it was "specialized against a specific enemy trace."

Warden gets a bunch of Favored Terrain Stuff
Wild Hunter Gets Animal Focus
Wild Stalker Trades it for Perception Skills and Barbarian Rage Powers
Guide Marks any Target and it works a bit more like smite.
Freebooter marks a target and all allies get a bonus against them as well. Move Action, but not limited use - smaller bonus though.

I would lean towards Hunter, or Wild Hunter Ranger first.
>>
>>51643589
But Guide is decent too, and Freebooter could be okay in the right party.
>>
>>51643553
GM typically sends out a campaign primer email to the group so everyone knows what's up before they start building, but the group often doesn't communicate with eachother about characters before the game starts.
>>
>>51643589
But they are still getting what amounts to a limited favored enemy, just without any of the skills they would normally get

They're not even that different. If you want to argue this is choice and somehow vastly different to what you would normally, then that is disingenuous and overstating.

I thought you were going to show us class features that replaced favored enemy in its entirety, which doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
>>51643589
The only ones out of these who don't get favored enemy lite are the warden and wild hunter.
>>
>>51643698
How is animal focus not very different from favored enemy?

Yeah, smite/Fe/the guide ability are all fairly similar (but guide has the advantage of not being race or alignment specific), but animal focus isn't so similar, and that's the one I'd take first.
>>
>>51643589
Now, which ones of these are actually decent in play?
>>
>>51643749
See >>51643737
So, can they actually be taken to mean entirely different options if they're that similar?
>>
>>51643755
Wild hunter, guide, and wild stalker are all decent, stalker being the worst of the three.

Warden is just bad. Freebooter is okay.
>>
>>51643790
Well that's disappointing.
>>
>>51643770
If what you are looking for is "not specialized to fight a specific enemy race", they all fit the bill, even if half of them replace one kind of "buff vs enemy in combat" with a different kind. Freebooter is like a bard song giving bonuses against a specific enemy. Guide is like an anything goes paladin.

But the more interesting ones are wild hunter and stalker, granting animal focus and rage powers, respectively.
>>
>>51643806
Wild hunter I've heard as being an upgrade. Guide is an upgrade in a campaign with highly varied enemy types. Stalker supposedly makes for an interesting barbarian ranger hybrid, but is about on par with the regular ranger, maybe very slightly worse.
>>
>>51643824
If that's how you're justifying it, sure by all means.
>>
>>51643806
If the magic and animal companion don't matter to you there's always Slayer, which takes the combat and tracking abilities of ranger and marries them to rogue features like sneak attack
>>
>>51643865
Well that was the started premise, so that was what I looked for examples of.
>>
>>51642908
>I want over saturation, I just would prefer it with good quality control. Where we disagree is I'll take oversaturation with garbage options to sift through over a scarcity of options.
It's a waste of resources to print out a million pages of options when only like 10% of the options are good and 5% of those options are playable.

I'd rather just have a small number of options to choose from so that once I properly understand the game, I have the option to go "oh hey, I kinda wanted that ability when I first started out" or "that's a nifty little fix they made."
Thread posts: 453
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.