[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prophecy and Prediction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

How has various forms of future sight affected your games /tg/? Fortune telling or divination magic are often used in other forms of media, but they're a bit odd when involved in an interactive format like roleplaying games.

How do systems you like deal with them? How have GMs made use of them? Are your experiences with it good or bad? I'm curious as to different peoples stories and such.
>>
Divination is fun as long as you manage to keep prophecies blurry enough.
In L5R we used following tactic:
1) Get some actual divination (I Ching is fast and has some good wording)
2) If player succeeded in divination roll - say which part of the wording relates to things that are likely to happen next in the game.
>>
>>51629155

I guess that keys into a big question when it comes to prophecy in RPGs.

Do you do player declared stuff, letting the player have an influence on future events, or do you instead treat it as an opportunity to ask questions of the GM?

I tend to prefer the former model, but I know there are examples of both across a lot of different games.
>>
>>51628536
How do the pendulum and number cube work, for divination?
>>
>>51630271
Not sure about the pendulum, but
>number cube
I think that might be Nine Palaces for 奇門遁甲?
>>
File: Capture+_2017-02-08-11-23-18.png (146KB, 671x981px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-02-08-11-23-18.png
146KB, 671x981px
>>51630271
>>
>>51630271
>>51631630

Numerology, maybe?
>>
>>51632662
Apparently it's a Pythagorean Psychomatrix.
>>
>>>/x/
>>
File: 1479858923683.png (1MB, 1400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1479858923683.png
1MB, 1400x2400px
>>51628536
>Party of detectives can't find a pair of people using the same tier of magic they have access to
>Contrive a basic evil boss monster hunt at the service of an oracle to give them the next step in the puzzle
>>
>>51637705
nah cause we are talking bout these sytems in traditional games
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.