[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 30

File: 19be2970053189664aebd302144e49f0.jpg (133KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
19be2970053189664aebd302144e49f0.jpg
133KB, 752x1063px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51621818

No OP question, let's continue our discussion about ancap DnD from the previous thread instead.
>>
/5eg/, sell me on Sea Sorcerers
>>
>>51628511
Warlock 2 / Sea Sorcerer X.
Enjoy pushing enemies off your grid map.
>>
Battlemaster fighter or Open Hand monk. What would you prefer to have on your team?
>>
>the government charges admission to the dungeon
>the government taxes from the treasure you take from it
>many dungeons have already been cleared of treasure
>some of the tax money goes to putting colorful tokens that in loot that allow you to pay for the honor of going into more high power dungeons
>you need to have dungeon insurance of a given tier to go into dungeons of a given tier
>>
>>51628531

DELETE THIS
>>
>itt, people who have never heard of tolls
Royal tolls are the ultimate expression of private property, which the whole kingdom was for the king.
>>
>>51628531
>the government begins putting cheaply manufactured treasure in dungeons and shunting rats, criminals and lesser monsters into the areas in order to charge people admission to clear it again anyways since the profit margins are better
>>
Smart PCs would just camp out the dungeon and start their own kingdom inside of it and make their own portal back to the human kingdom and charge monsters admission for clearing out city blocks.
>>
>>51628531
>You need a certified dungeon guide travelling with you at all times, he gets 5% of all coinage found, as well as 10% of the value, determined by the treasure committee, of all items removed.
>>
>if you fail to have appropriate dungeon insurance of the right level or it expires, you are classified as a monster until you pay the fine
>if you sneak into a dungeon without paying, you are classified as a monster until you pay the fine
>if you leave a dungeon without finding sufficient wealth to pay the taxes upon leaving, you are classified as a monster until you pay the fine
>fines must be paid at the capitol which is quite a hefty walk and the capitol is warded against teleports
>there is a good chance that wherever you sleep or camp someone will set up signs and a toll booth outside and charge adventurers the right to come in and kill you

THE CIRCLE OF LIFE
>>
File: ancap.jpg (78KB, 640x656px) Image search: [Google]
ancap.jpg
78KB, 640x656px
>>51628570
>>
>>51628522
I should elaborate a bit more. Does anyone have experience with these classes?

Battlemaster fighter seems really fun, with all the different tactics and ways you can use your superiority dice. I like the look of the monk, but gameplaywise, it just seems to be "Spam Stunning Fist"

What do you think /tg/?
>>
>when you refuse to pay the local king dictator slaver and drug kingpin of Ronald McDonald land to enter his privately owned dungeon so he captures you and turns you into a mob for another paying adventurer to kill on his trip to tolldungeon wonderland
>>
>>51628553
>>51628570
>>51628574
>>51628582

Hoppeland is my new setting.

It's like Dungeon Meshi with economics and liberty politics.
>>
File: dnd ancap.jpg (106KB, 853x596px) Image search: [Google]
dnd ancap.jpg
106KB, 853x596px
>>
>>51628596
I can't stop laughing at this.
>>
>>51628621
vampires are the perfect ancapistan mctoll dungeon beast since they're very high power and you can always turn adventurers who don't turn the toll into more vampires for more mobs
>>
>>51628668
They also love monarchy systems
>>
> With your DM's permission, you can instead choose a language from the Exotic Languages table or a secret language, such as thieves' cant or the tongue of druids.

Wait... thieves' cant is a language?
>>
>>51628511
You know how some subclasses will add damage to cantrips? Sea Sorcerer takes that idea, but you can choose between +5 damage or two crowd control options. Except the option is determined by damage type, so you need to have multiple "attack" cantrips if you want the full range of options. And the exact mechanics of "cursing" an enemy and then "triggering" the curse are weird.

All your other abilities (including Soul of the Sea) are about extra mobility and avoiding/resisting attacks. One of these abilities specifically grants you resistance to opportunity attacks (like you'd suffer if you were a ranged character and a melee character suddenly got in your face). Incidentally, the non-damage curse options fuck with opponents' mobility.

You also get resistance to fire at 6th level, which is when opponents would be able to start countering your shenanigans with Fireball.

So if you want to be a spell sniper who kites mobs, this subclass is good for that.
>>
Redpill me on forge clerics. Why are they considered so great?
>>
>>51628692
In rules terms, yes.
>>
>>51628713

>Why is having a +1 weapon or +1 armor from level 1 great?

Seriously?
>>
>>51628692
It's been considered one since 1e, yes
>>
>>51628721
Having +1 weapon on level 1 is pretty good. Having +1 weapon on level 14 is not so good.
>>
>>51628705
>>51628511
What happen when Sea Sorcerer use lightning lure? Can you pull the enemy pass yourself..?

Even if you can't do that shenanigan...Spell sniper lightning lure might be cool
>>
>>51628716
>>51628722
So mystic can use mind vault on thieves' cant..
>>
>when you sell your newborn children to the town wizard who owns a tailoring shop that he keeps heated to 500f to get a dungeon certificate of entrance but the dungeon gets annexed by the former village opium alchemist so he boils you to death in his cauldron for trespassing in his royal domain (which is only allowed if you sell him your newborn child for a wooden admission coin) but you don't care because you're finally free
>>
>>51628713
Free +1 weapon
Huge AC
Access to Elemental Weapon spell
MARTIAL PROFICIENCY
Fucking fire immunity
Being able to buff other people's weapons/armor

>>51628734
Read the domain. By the time you hit 14 you are rape incarnate.
>>
Is there anyway to provoke an attack if someone uses Lightning Lure? Like if someone uses LL to pull an enemy past me as a fighter will Tunnel Fighter allow me to hit them with an attack?
>>
>>51628734
Level 14 game doesn't actually exist. And you can use it on armor/shield instead if you already have a magic weapon.
>>
>>51628770
No. Only movement with enemy own action,bonus action or reaction provoke
>>
>>51628769
>Access to Elemental Weapon spell
It's not even good.
>MARTIAL PROFICIENCY
They don't get it.
>>
File: Thief sap.jpg (81KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
Thief sap.jpg
81KB, 960x539px
What's the closest equivalent to a Sap, tonfa baton, or other sneaky bludgeony weapon? I was going to use light hammer but then I noticed it wasn't finesse.
>>
>>51628522
>>51628594
I was about to say, "depends on which maneuvers the Battle Master takes," but then I remembered there are nine of them, so you're bound to pick a useful one by sheer accident.

Note that if you take "Rally," you might as well take that feat that gives you and up to six friends temporary HP on a short rest.
>>
File: Captain.jpg (49KB, 333x450px) Image search: [Google]
Captain.jpg
49KB, 333x450px
>>51628808
A club.
>>
>when the ogre starts a bidding war on your body as meat but forgets that you're the prime dignitary of the Burger Kingdom™ so you bid for yourself violating your non-suicide contract detonating the mindshield in your possession and losing your warlock levels
>>
>>51628817
Club's not finesse.

Are there really no supplements adding additional weapons?
>>
>>51628796
Damn, that's a shame, would be cool to combo it.
>>
>>51628827
I smell a homebrew project.
>>
If you were to give free archetype spells to Hunter and BM, what would they be?

>>51628827
>everything must be finesse
No.
>>
>>51628844
>every rogue must be an edgy knife-user instead of somebody who knocks people out silently
>>
File: Psionics.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Psionics.pdf
1B, 486x500px
So what are next UA's? Warlock patrons, more arcane traditions then finally full Mystic?
>>
>>51628864
Also, sohei. Hopefully, also warlord.
>>
>>51628816
That's interesting, thanks! What are your thoughts on monk though? I've read it over and it really just does seem to be you move fast and spam stunning fist/flurry at people. Is that really the case?
>>
>>51628737
This actually sounds kind of fun, I have to check--
>The target must succed on a Strength saving throw or be pulled up to 10 feet in a straight line toward you, and then take 1d8 lightning damage if it is within 5 feet

So if a target is cursed, you have three options:
>Force it to make a Str save versus being yanked up to 25 feet toward you--except Lightning Lure only has a range of 15 feet without metamagic
>Yank it towards you, then deal both spell and curse damage
>Yank it towards you, deal spell damage, then yank it an additional 15 feet past you.

The third one might not work exactly, but it sure is funny.
>>
File: all hope lost.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
all hope lost.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
>>51628864
Nobody knows, everyone thought THIS one was gonna be psion-err, "mystics".

Personally I hope psionics never fucking happens. It's such garbage flavoring, even the way they describe it in their own material is garbage, and not even counting the retarded fan interpretations. Keep that retarded pokemon scifi bullshit it in Pathfinder where it belongs.
>>
>>51628855
Fluff your character to use the hilt of his finesse daggers when beating people. You aren't forced into dealing lethal damage you know.
>>
>>51628871
>Warlord
Battlemaster, Paladin or Valor Bard with Inspiring Leader

>Sohei
War Cleric or Paladin with PAM, fluffed into weeaboo fightan man
>>
>>51628823
Gold in general but also

>violating your... contract... and losing your warlock levels

Warlock levels falling off is also a rich source of infuriation and warlock pacts even fit into ancap stuff quite well. Lots of potential.
>>
>>51628864
Warlock, Wizard then Mystic probably. I mean Mearl finish writing it on 31/12. So the more time they have on testing it, the better.
>>
>>51628886
>t. butthurt threeaboo
>>
>>51628886
>Personally I hope psionics never fucking happens. It's such garbage flavoring, even the way they describe it in their own material is garbage, and not even counting the retarded fan interpretations. Keep that retarded pokemon scifi bullshit it in Pathfinder where it belongs
Fuck off, psionics has been in fantasy since the fucking beginning. Because you can't get over the fact that drawing power from one's mental self or the Far realms rather than one of the many other conflicting sources of magic means jack diddly.
>>
>>51628907
Weren't we supposed to get some non fucked up crafting rules?
>>
If I played a Human Variant and got a feat from it, then reincarnated would I lose that feat I had?
>>
>>51628903
t. guy from yesterday, who took away paladin's level for getting off rails.
>>
>>51628918
he's baiting. We had been in here long enough to remember that copypasta.
>>
>>51628903
Warlock pacts are very explicitly stated to not work this way.
>>
>>51628929
not him and I don't agree with depriving PCs of class features, and have only made a paladin fall once when the player wanted to be a blackguard
>>
File: Runeweaver.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Runeweaver.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>51628940
Never seen this bait, I apologize for taking it. Honestly, do they just expect WotC to do nothing with the Far Realms?
>>
>>51628926
yes
>>
>>51628953
I kinda of wouldn't be surprised if they generally avoided it. It's not like spelljammer was ever popular outside of its small cult following.
>>
>>51628893
Dealing nonlethal doesn't actually change the damage type, is the weird thing. I'm still leaving tons of blood everywhere for other people to find.

I'm sure any sensible DM would probably let me re-fluff an existing finesse weapon, but I wish there was an official way to play a sap-user. Bringing knives to a fight and then never using the blades seems awkward and silly from an in-character standpoint.
>>
>>51628944
>explicitly

In 5e? Do tell.
>>
Glaive vs Halberd, which would you want to use in battle?
>>
>>51628893
But you are still forced to do piercing, not bludgeoning, damage

I'd say a sap is just a bludgeoning dagger that isn't an effective thrown weapon. Weapons in general are pretty easy to homebrew up
>>
>>51628961
...? what does the Far Realm have to do with Spelljammer?
>>
>>51628872
You're a tank. You can get 20 AC, output damage *almost* as consistently as a fighter, shrug off a wider and wider variety of debuffs as you level up, and if you pick Open Hand you even have a decent burst damage combined with self-healing.

You can choose to spam Stunning Palm, which basically makes you an MMO tank, or not, in which case you're just a really tough guy who deals decent damage.
>>
>>51628940
It's not necessarily baiting, some people genuinely think Psionics don't belong in standard fantasy. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't make it bait, especially when I've never seen this "bait" posted before.

Also I agree, psionics flavoring is pretty.... myrehhhh to include as a universal all-setting option. Sure the flavor text says it's just for forgotten realms, but the second it gets it's own UA, grognards are going to insist any DM who doesn't allow it in every setting ever is bad, even if it doesn't fit the setting at all.
>>
I need a name for a weapon. It's a warhammer posessed by a pagan cleric warlord.
>>
>>51628999
Psi has been in the FR since the very beginning and has been in D&D since before 1e. Telepathy even shows up in Middle Earth.

>you can cast a spell to lift objects mentally or teleport
>but heaven forbid you use a kind of magic that operates on will alone
>>
>>51629026
>You can shoot an arrow to put a hole in a thing
>But heaven forbid you use a plasma rifle to do it
>>
>>51628974
Warscythe

>>51629019
>pagan
As opposed to what?
>>
File: 1444960578289.jpg (180KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
1444960578289.jpg
180KB, 945x945px
>>51628990

>Monk
>Tank
>>
>>51628983
What about using a quarter staff, they're finesse aren't they?
>>
>>51628990
monk is not actually tough
you'll be behind fighter AC for 90% of the game
your damage is either okay at best, or burns ki points that would be better used for stunning
all your defensive shit is high level, or takes ki for things the rogue does for free
>>
>>51629042
>ascetism and meditation granting power
>that's totally unfair, only careful study of my theory of [s]programming[/s] magic should grant such powers
>>
>>51629043
As opposed to not!catholic. The pagan worships an evil dragon god, who is essentially Tiamat.
>>
>>51629055
No, there are no finesse bludgeoning weapons

You can use dex with a club or quaterstaff by being a monk, but it doesn't make them finesse weapons
>>
>>51629066
>Point out strawman argument
>Get another strawman argument
>>
>>51629059
I wish monks were as good as they are fun. Like paladins are
>>
>>51629073
>le strawman

Do you realize how many psionic creatures are in the 1e MM?
>>
>>51628522
Open hand monk. The ability to consistently send enemies flying is great and in melee an OH monk is better by sheer ammount of more resource they can use.

Otherwise Battlemaster is better.
Best payed as an archer with Precision strike, Guiding strike, Trip and Maneouvering strike.
>>
What cantrips are elf commoners most likely to know?

10% of the people in a single elven village know Friends, because a century ago when they were adolescents there was a brief (less than a decade) fad with using that spell for pranks
>>
>>51629103
Mending is one of the most practical cantrips of all.
>>
>>51629103
Mending, Message and Prestidigitation probably cover the vast majority. Other non-obviously offensive ones (and defensive ones like blade ward) a large minority. Offensive ones a tiny minority.

I tend to growl when players pick the attack cantrips.
>>
>>51629026
Man, I like the idea of psionics as a replacement for vancian spellcasting, I really do, but no amount of "it was in the old material" is going to make me feel like it belongs in a swords-and-sorcery" setting. Sorry.

If the options were flavored differently to be more like existing forms of magic, maybe... but the way things stand right now, Psionics exist in this weird realm of mental battles and jarring flavor choices that seem like they're from an entirely different game.
>>
>>51629129
The blade cantrips are good.
>>
>>51629143
What about "psionics is how most of Howard's magic works"
>>
Tongue of Sun and Moon is shit and doesn't mesh with the monk thematically

If we replaced it with a third attack per attack action (basically the fighter level 11 feature but two levels later), would it break the game?
>>
>>51629156
> Let's replace a ribbon ability with a third attack
Really made me think
>>
>>51628948
Hey anon, I made that shit forever ago. What'd you think?

I gave up when I realized it'd be pretty much impossible to balance.
>>
>>51629169
Monk sucks, so we buff it

Monks also can't do the one thing that made them special in 3.5 (attacking more times than everyone else) thanks to fighters getting all the extra attacks
>>
How can we fix monk to not stylistically clash with the setting of most campaigns? Most campaigns take place in some variation of medieval Europe and having a straight out of a kung-fu Chinese class just takes you out of it.
>>
Hum, I was kind of hoping for a melee battlemaster or a monk, but my main worry is that the monk looked a bit boring gameplaywise.

Is there any way to make Open Hand Monk a bit more interesting? I like that it sounds tanky. Monks tend to have high wisdom, is it possible to make a monk/cleric/paladin build since cleric/paladin spells key off wisdom too?
>>
>>51629129
Prestidigitation is a really obvious choice for someone who never plans to actually become an adventurer. It's actually so obvious I needed to double-check with other people about what non-Presto cantrips commoners might want.

The blade cantrips totally make sense for elven soldiers. Non-blade cantrips don't actually make sense for most elves, even adventurous ones, because Ray of Frost simply doesn't do damage as reliably as a longbow until you're an immensely powerful being.

If an elf had Ray of Frost or Fire Bolt or something I'd mostly suspect him of being too lazy to make and retrieve his own arrows.
>>
>>51629214
Flavor it as deliberately-suppressed lycanthropy or something.
Brawny shirtless-mc-muscles runs around beating the shit out of people with his bare hands because the beast within demands bloodshed, but he's too prideful and disciplined to really let it all out.
>>
>>51629183
Reading it I thought it was great but I haven't played it. I posted to see if you had updated it as you said you would.

Regarding balance, I think your discount options were a bit too good. In that they would only situationaly be troublesome, such as the one where you have to walk around in circles.

Shame you didn't work it further.
>>
>>51629258
>If an elf had Ray of Frost or Fire Bolt or something I'd mostly suspect him of being too lazy to make and retrieve his own arrows.
>"But MOOOOOOM I don't wanna do archery today"
>>
>>51629231
It could also be a butthurt AD&D grog.

I know some. It's like they never heard of refluffing.
>>
>>51629200
>Monks aren't special because fighters can do the same thing at level 11 that they can do from level 2
>>
>>51629286
It's possible; I remember there was some grumbling from a player when I decided to run Darksun because of psionics.
>>
>>51629295
Honestly I'm starting to wonder why monk exists

It really does seem like it should just be an archetype for fighters
>>
>>51629312
Inertia, and it does have some features of its own.

Barbarian is a lot closer to being "just another fighter" than fucking monk.
>>
>>51629275

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJi37kqA

There's the latest version I've done; if you like it that much, feel free to pull the code from it and work on it yourself - I've been busy with my Soulknife and it's new updates. I'll probably post that here in a bit after it's been touched enough to make me happy.
>>
>>51629226
You are looking for Druid/Cleric spells since paladin is Charisma.

Well in a perfect world where you start with 16 Dex and Wisdom you will have 16 AC to start which is fine, what you actually need, is health.

Aid would be the best for this, followed by heroism, false life maybe. But to get it yourself, Inspiring Leader would do fine with Human Variant. 14 Charisma means level 1 3 temporary health for every combat that gets better at levels.
>>
>>51629338
Not in 5e

In 5e the barbarian's rages work nothing like anything the fighter has, but monk ki points and fighter superiority die almost feel like they should be interchangeable when you take levels in both classes
>>
>>51629298
There are alot of other reasons to grumble about Dark Sun besides THAT.

Personally post-apocalyptic hellholes where the world is the dead, the gods have fucked off, and humanity is doomed to a slow extinction of a doomed existence isn't exactly my idea of heroic high fantasy.
>>
>>51628827
>>51628808
>bludgeoning
>finesse

"no"
>>
>>51629469
I imagine this like slapping someone lightly with a frying pan. (Doing minimal to no damage)
>>
File: 1428300525673.jpg (70KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
1428300525673.jpg
70KB, 600x776px
>>51629469
Monks can use dexterity for light hammers, clubs, spears, quarterstaves...
Yes, I know RAW that doesn't make it finesse for sneak attacks, but there is clearly precedent for dex-based bludgeoning strikes. Saps are a fair thing.
Regardless of that, we need a thug/strength rogue anyways.
>>
>>51629469
>longsword
>not finesse
>spear
>not finesse
>>
>>51629042
>you can throw bat poop and chant to shoot fire
>but heaven forbid you concentrate to shoot fire
>even though in a majority of fantasy franchises you don't use poop to shoot fire
>>
GM question to players beyond armor costing a lot what exactly are people buying?

Ive got a party that doesnt exactly care about large investments (land, vehicles, etc) and is basically sitting on all their gold with not much to actually do with it. Ive given a couple minor magic items for sale but a lot of them just seem to think this is 3.5 and money buys power.

I tend to avoid minor daily expenses because its just more work on me and im curious what others are actually selling for gold in their game to the traditional adventuring party.
>>
Two Weapon Fighting and Extra Attack.

Main hand, main hand, off hand, off hand

OR

Main Main Off?
>>
>>51629513
I miss the 4e brutal scoundrels
>>
>>51629570
Give the party an upgradeable home base of sorts and let them hire NPCs that give minor benefits. Even an alchemist that gives them all healing potions before a mission will make them feel like they invested in something cool, even if it costs like 10 times what those potions would have cost normally.
>>
>>51629026
>Telepathy even shows up in Middle Earth.
Uh, what?
>>
>>51629585
Main main off
>>
>>51629570
Expensive ass drinks with Con Saves. Just for fun.

Sell magic items but make the economy quite expensive.
>>
>>51629585
RAW, the off hand attack is made as a Bonus Action

All that Extra Attack does is when you take the Attack Action, you may make one additional attack, but it doesn't give you another Bonus Action

So it would be Main-Main-Off
>>
>>51629553
But wizards can use wands or staves or other "arcane foci" to shoot fire, they don't have to use guano
>>
>>51629513
That's a function of the monk's training rather than a quality of the weapon, which makes sense. Anybody crazy enough to get into a punching fight with a dude in chainmail probably ought to know how to attack a target, but there's no inherent elegance or economy of motion to a blunt force weapon that would invoke "finesse".

Some other attribute/bonus for a Sap makes plenty of sense though.
>>
>>51629214
>Most campaigns take place in some variation of medieval Europe
Eh, not really.
>>
>>51629143
>no amount of "it was in the old material" is going to make me feel like it belongs in a swords-and-sorcery" setting. Sorry.

You can argue it doesn't belong in nu-fantasy (generic horseshit based off D&D and video games), but its disingenuous to argue it doesn't belong in swords & sorcery.

At best you can argue that not all psionic powers belong in all swords & sorcery, but the same is true of wizardry etc.

Psionics are simply more applicable to more Appendix N settings and to more S&S settings than wizard magic, and way way WAY more than cleric magic.
>>
>>51629600
Galadriel, who is, coincidentally, by far the closest to a D&D magic user or wizard in LotR (as she was specifically TAUGHT magic).
>>
>>51629258
No cantrip has anywhere near as much non-adventuring utility as Mending. Prestidigitation's effects are so minor and/or temporary that you can usually just get by without it.
>>
So I've been thinking about making a Stone Sorc. Im still thinking how to build him.

Stats should probably be Con>Str>Cha>Rest.

Race could be Earth Genasi for flavour and nice fitting stats. Any other good ones?

Spells should be focused on Smites and Utility because you have lower Cha than usual and get into melee often. So the melee cantrips, Haste, Stoneskin and Wall of Stone seem like good choices. Other suggestions?
>>
>>51629724
Shield of course.
>>
>>51629541
You could short stroke with a larger sword in a similar fashion, but it would obviously be an inferior tool for that job, hence the distinction in the rules.

A spear is a dagger on a stick. If you want finesse, snap off the extra stick.
>>
Lesser Animate Objects
1st-level Transmutation
1 action to cast, 120 foot range, VS, concentration (up to a minute)

Choose a Small or Medium inanimate object in range. It becomes a creature under your control until the spell ends or until reduced to 0 hit points. As a bonus action, you can issue a mental command to any creature you made this way, if it is within 500 feet of you. Without new commands, the construct will carry out the previous command to completion, or simply defend itself from hostile creatures.
The creature has 10 Con, 3 Int or Wis, 1 Cha, and uses your proficiency bonus to attack. It can hover above the ground and has a movement speed of 30 feet. Its other stats are dependent on its size:

SMALL: 6 Str, Dex equal to your spellcasting attribute, 10hp, 16 AC. 1d6 finesse melee attack.
MEDIUM: Str equal to your spellcasting attribute, 10 Dex, 20hp, 10 AC. 1d8 melee attack.

At Higher Levels: casting this spell with a 2nd-level slot increases the duration to 1 hour. Using a 3red-level or higher slot increases the duration as per Hex and Hunter's Mark.In addition, for each level beyond 1st, the creature gains an extra 2hp if Small or 5hp if Medium.

RATE?
>>
>>51629103
Vicious Mockery. Saves time gathering the torches and pitchforks.
>>
>>51629724
My only suggestion would be, with a shield in one hand and a sword in the other, keep an eye on which of your spells require somatic components. You get one free sheathe OR unsheathe of your sword per turn, so you could still use a spell-cantrip and then Quicken practically any spell you please, but on some turns you might not be able to revenge-attack someone who hits your designated ally.
>>
>>51629103
Mage Hand.

Just imagine it in modern life not having to get up to get a nice fresh beer from the fridge.
>>
>>51629921
>spell-cantrip
I meant blade-cantrip.
>>
LMoP

I killed four out of my five players

>old owl well
>evil mage, 12 zombies
>they will not talk to the mage
>just attack him
>mage sucks zombies on players
>have most of the zombies spam grapple
>battlemaster with 21 AC and is invincible gets hit by hold person
>raped by 7 zombies he ran past trying to blitz the mage
>entire party just keeps getting messed up
>3 unconscious
>Mage stops his zombies
>"have I opened your eyes to new opportunities?"
>they tell him to fuck off
>everyone but the totem barbarian dies

They could have won but they beelined and ended up getting surrounded
>>
How do you go about delivering plot to your players?

I'm struggling with having NPCs basically walking up to players and dumping info on them. How do I make sure my players know what's going on while making it more organic?
>>
>>51629976
>starter campaign
>being harsh on your players
wew lad you sure do not want this group to keep going huh?
>>
>>51630000
Let your PCs form relationships with the NPCs they are interested in. Then when you have a plot hook you can have your NPC deliver the info. "I need help with X" or "I heard a rumor that X is doing Y" are more compelling and natural coming from friends. If you have good characters they will march through hell and high water to help a friendly NPC recover the purse she lost on the way to deliver a fresh cake to her PC friends.
>>
File: tranquility monk.jpg (87KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
tranquility monk.jpg
87KB, 1024x576px
Ready to play Tranquility Monk and make everyone feel pleasure and peace of mind. Bringing good health to all.
>>
Only Dragon and Stone sorc are any good.

Dat AC is too good, I can't handle 11 or 12 fucking AC
>>
any one of you played a game where you got Robes of the Archmagi?
>>
>>51629976
What did the barb do differently?
>>51630045
>giving them two chances not to get fucked up
>"being harsh"
wew lad
>>
File: 1426259576212.png (264KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1426259576212.png
264KB, 1000x1000px
>>51630072
MAGE ARMOR
A
G
E

A
R
M
O
R
>>
>>51630045
That encounter is literally in the book. They chose to kill the mage and ignore the zombies, then got surrounded and died. They didn't even need to fight since he was not being antagonistic, and they chose to die when he gave them the option to live.
>>
>>51629976
> mage sucks zombies on players
Lewd...
>>
>>51628480
How does Oath of Treachery paladin compare to the other oaths? The utility seems neat, and the ability at 7 looks like a good time in melee.
>>
>>51630084
He was totem powered and high str, resisted all damage and broke out of grapples, retreated back to the manor to open it as a mercenary guild
>>
>>51630094
DISPEL MAGIC
I
S
P
E
L

M
A
G
I
C

Also uses a spell slot which SUCKS
>>
>>51629976
How does hold person make zombies "raped" 21 AC battlemaster? They still need to roll 19 or 20 to hit him. So each zombie has only 19% chance to hit after advantage him and 20 would be crit anyway.
>>
>>51630145
> What is flanking
>>
>>51630137
> spend 3rd level spell to dispel a 1st level spell
Also subtle counterspell
>>
>>51630152
Optional rule that doesn't stack with paralyzed advantage?
>>
>>51630170
Who said he was paralyzed?
>>
>>51630105
if it's the fucking starter you need to make things clear for them. like you gotta hold hands and tell them when the training wheels are coming off.
>>
>>51630199
You mean, like, having the villain ask them if they want to keep fighting or not?
>>
>>51630145
7 zombies attacking with advantage and they get auto crit

Zombies have a +3 to hit normally so on an 18,19 and 20 they hit. The chance of rolling at least an 18 is 15%, with advantage that goes up to 27.8% chance.

That's around 2 zombies hitting and CRITTING a round on average. Zombie crit does 7 damage, so 14 damage a round.

All it would take is a couple of rounds or one lucky round to kill this battlemaster
>>
>>51630198
>battlemaster with 21 AC and is invincible gets hit by hold person
> hold person
> Choose a humanoid that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be paralyzed
>>
>>51630246
Oh, my mistake, I just thought he was grappled.
>>
>>51630238
no, telling them as the dm directly that they can die and likely will if they continue this way?
>>
File: straid.png (25KB, 250x265px) Image search: [Google]
straid.png
25KB, 250x265px
>>51630083
I did.
It was okay but not as fun as bovd.
>>
>>51630239
> couple of rounds
that's the things anon. they should be able to attack the mage. 5 Zombies are trying to grapple people with their +1 STR, the barbarian should be able to shurg them off.
>>
Plane shift Kaladesh announce! Guess that's why artificer was release first...
>>
>>51630457
link
>>
Is there any way a bard can get sanctuary?
>>
>>51630579
Literally Magical Secrets. Are you retarded?

You could also use a feat.
>>
Can a monk do stunning strike by just touching and not dealing damage? A non hostile act so sanctuary doesn't turn off?
>>
>>51630614
No
>>
File: wew.png (543KB, 784x970px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
543KB, 784x970px
Are the monsters from the Fifth Edition Foes book any good? I'm looking through them and I laughed my ass off at the sight of pic related.
>>
>>51630675
They are ok.... Don't trust the CRs. You really need to know what the monster is capable of and how it will effect your party.
>>
>>51630777
I agree, CR should not be trusted, as situations and playstyles can make encounters easier. My party took out 3 Ogres and like 7 hobgoblins. Cause they are a party of ranged classes who set up a firing line. They were level 2. All survived though two went down.
>>
>>51630072
You seem to be forgetting the "I don't feel like dying" Shadow "oh and heres my spooky dog, thanks for the Advantage" sorcerer.
>>
A spellcaster's list of spells can be divided into two categories: Mage Hand, and things that hurt people. Is there any way she can get a job with her magic that doesn't involve being a bodyguard or enforcer?
>>
File: 1481575363134.jpg (387KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481575363134.jpg
387KB, 600x900px
How do traps work in relation to passive perception and how can I work around it? It's pointless to build a trap and just have the PCs immediately notice something is off just because the trap's DC meets their passive perception.

But on the other hand, it's also weird that every trap in the game is so well hidden that their passive perception never picks up on it, thus creating a situation where once traps are a known thing the players naturally play way to cautiously.

I'm trying to find a good balance between letting the players immediately realize something is off about the room and not wasting my time building traps that I know ahead of time will just be circumvented without much trouble.
>>
>>51628488
You're both just killed a human AND in that process promoted the possibilities of monsters being set free into the world (Though it's possible someone, a new dungeonkeeper will probably be sent in to prevent monsters going everywhere)

Killing monsters isn't going to help, especially when some of those monsters don't give a shit, some of those monsters are unlikely to ever manage to get to the surface and the ones that might potentially get to the surface could have been killed if you'd fucking pay your fees already

If you're lucky your business (possibly government) might give you one free entry as part of your job but you'd inevitably be charged for constant reentrance.
>>
>>51630870
Mending with Smith Tools proficiency means you can just rub your hands on worn and broken weapons and fix them. Meaning your fixes will be cheaper and you could gain an edge in a smithing market.

Prestigitation can make you the best servant ever from cleaning clothes to anything.

Thaumaturgy makes you an amazing town crier.

Message can make you the perfect courier for delicate information. No words and no evidence.
>>
>>51630904
PP could be used to detect natural hazards, not intentional traps.

Conversely, if they spend a loooong time in a room like for a short rest that happens to have a trap, then go off of PP to make it easy.
>>
>>51630910
>the government has the power to seal off unlimited amounts of monsters, some of which include guys with green skin and tusks and some of which include horned guys with red skin and magic
>the government does not have the power to seal off finite amounts of adventurers, some of which include guys with green skin and tusks and some of which include horned guys with red skin and magic
>>
>>51630904
Option 1: Have a trap already sprung inside the room, that will alert them to the presence of traps.

From here I then let them only investigate in a 10 foot radius of them for traps, and have a ton of them, all different perception DCs. In my last dungeons I had 12, 15, 17, 20 and 22 DCs for traps splayed about.

Option 2: Have fewer traps, or ones that aren't just solved when you find them. Have them be an obstacle that can't just be avoided. Like an acrobatics check o jump a small chasm but dodge the trip wire in the middle of it. Maybe have it be a large pressure plate the party has to cross, and no way to disarm it, just force their way through it. Then the problem isn't finding traps it's dealing with them.
>>
>rolling for trinket
>73. The shell of an egg painted with scenes of human misery in disturbing detail.
>sent this image
How fucked am I.
>>
>>51631012
hurry up and sacrifice your fucking loved ones to the behelit so you can become a horrifying monster

christ
>>
>>51628531
I once played a Cleric of Gargauth that would follow parties around invisibly and wait for them to get in over their heads in combat, then offer his services.
>vocally agree to the contract and drop 100 gold on the ground and I'll cast a Cure Serious Wounds on you
>vocally agree to the contract and drop 500 gold on the ground and I'll Hammer of the Gods all these bad guys
If they refused and died, I would take their belongings and corpses back to civilization and charge for their revival and return of possessions.
>>
File: 1486501512298.jpg (540KB, 1920x2716px) Image search: [Google]
1486501512298.jpg
540KB, 1920x2716px
Glamour Bard seems fun to play. I can go full Macross.
>>
>>51629050
>high AC, good saves (eventually), Evasion, Dodge as a bonus action
Plate and shield Monks are immortal.
>>
>>51631012
Cuck your best friend asap
>>
>>51630052
Thanks anon! I think I come from too much of a video game mentality of "OK, tell the players that XYZ are important"

I'll try letting the players interact more positively with NPCs in the future.
>>
>Saps
TAKE A DAGGER
MAKE IT BLUDGEONING
CALL IT A FUCKING DAY
how is this hard
>>
>>51631030
Way better than nothing.
>>
>>51630777
>>51630837
Good to know! I've never DMed and I'm just looking for interesting things at this point.
>>
>>51631064
So what is the best tank in the game? Barbarian? Monk? Fighter? Paladin?
>>
>>51631064
>Plate and shield monk

Pardon?
>>
>>51631084
Paladin to be sure. The first prerequisite to tanking is being able to take attacks and not be obliterated, and virtually every party NEEDS the level 6 paladin ability if they are to have any hope of not being fucked over by saving throws constantly.
>>
>>51631098
So this is a strength Monk?
>>
>>51631098
>create character as a Fighter / Paladin
>level as a Monk for the rest of your life
>fight with sword and board because the only Monk features that don't work with armor and shields are the ones you don't need because you're wearing armor and a shield plus movement speed but who cares

>>51631153
Yes. Evasion is good enough to make up for your lack of Dex saves, but there's always Shield Master if you really want to piss off the DM.
>>
>>51631064

>High AC

Monk AC is only slightly higher than caster AC until you have an ASI or two under your belt. At low levels, the front line is the last place a Monk wants to be, between their 16 (generous) AC and 1d8 hit die, they're gonna go down quick. Heaven forbid you want to be a Monk with a substandard race, then you'll be packing 14 AC until level 4.

Dodge as a bonus action is well and good, but you've got better things to do with your bonus the vast majority of the time.
>>
>>51631084
Bearbarians and EKs. Both will avoid or mitigate more damage than a Paladin can heal or save against; the former will have a decent Dex anyway and the latter has enough feats to get both Resilient (Wis) and Shield Master and flip the bird to the most common effects of consequence, on top of rerolling a save at 9 (which is late game, but not beyond out of reason).

The only Paladin worth anything defensively is Ancients. They have greater group utility, but there's "being the tank that is the target of all attacks so no one has to save or dodge to begin with" and "being the guy that makes others take less damage".
>>
>>51631186
I'd like to agree with you but at this point I just go along with the "monks have high AC" meme because this general is 95% dense fuckers who think ASIs grow on trees and most campaigns start at level 8 and goes until 20.
>yeah this class isn't MAD at all once you max out Strength, Dex, Con, and Cha lol also don't forget GWM and PAM
>>
>>51630904
Passive perception to notice something is off like a tile being weird.
>>
>>51631272
>DM asks the group to roll Perception
>my passive Perception is 22
>>
>>51631080
>>51630777
>>51630837
Actually, to add to it, how do you guys design encounters? I got curious because I was using that Kobold Fight Club thing, and it randomly suggested using a Lesser Shadow, an Origami Warrior, and something else for a party for 1st-level people.
>>
>>51629156
Don't remove tongue of the sun and moon. Kung fu fighters gotta have subtitles.

However, an extra attack (2) at higher levels would not break the game. Monks could use 4 to 12 more damage per round by level 20, so it's a little high but not going to shoot them too high.
>>
>giving all class and archetype features except spellcasting and the "capstone" feature at half the stated level +1
Holy shit it's amazing to actually be able to use all of this shit in a game that doesn't start at level 15 and isn't about slaying gods.
>>
Monks should simply get an enhanced Flurry of Blows at later levels. 3 attacks at level, say, 13, 4 at level 19.
>>
>>51629400
Monks use no armor and simple weapons. That's just not compatible with fighter 1.
>>
File: obama-laughing.jpg (13KB, 475x268px) Image search: [Google]
obama-laughing.jpg
13KB, 475x268px
>>51631256

>not rolling for stats and starting with four 18s
>>
>>51631445
>Fighter1/Monk1
>wear armor and use martial weapons
feels good
>>
What's a good feat for variant human swashbuckler?
>>
>>51631462
yeah, and my DM lets everyone start with a free feat
on top of the free feat that variant humans get
>>
How to Sun monk.
Stun strike 3-4 targets this turn.
Roast with Searing Arc strike or Sunburst since they can't save
>>
>>51631487
Can't use martial arts with martial wrapons
>>
>>51631445
That's why you take two levels in fighter before taking levels in monk
>>
>>51631588
Why would I have to? I have the damage of a Fighter.
>>
>>51628480
Some build advice.

Ok so I'm trying to make a Fighter/Rogue multiclass based around the Mariner fighting style. Sailor or Pirate variant background.

I was thinking of starting the PC as a fighter with chain mail armor, a dagger and a scimitar. What would be a good split between fighter and rogue? Fighter 15 and 5 rogue or 3 fighter and 17 rogue?

I would like to pick the swashbuckler archetype but which one is better, Sword Coast or Unearthed Arcane? Would only 3 levels in Battle Master be good?

Some of the feats I'm looking at are Dual Wielder, lucky, mobile and sentinel. Is mobile redundant with fancy footwork? I like the idea of not being hold down by difficult terrain. Does sentinel only work better with polearms or can it work with a sword?
>>
>>51631501
Inspiring Leader for Temp HP to you and party.
>>
>>51631621
It's so funny how you can't use martial arts bonus attack with non monkey weapons, how bit you can flurry of blows. Weird ass wording
>>
>>51631576
>or Sunburst
Sunburst is Con negates, so they can still save. Searing arc strike works, but isn't terribly impressive use of Ki.
>>
>>51631647
Just 3 levels in battle master works really well, especially if you manage to pick up the martial adept feat, but you already have a lot of feats lined up.

Mobile is pretty redundant, wouldn't recommend. Sentinel is far better with a reach weapon.

The UA version of swashbuckler is a bit better, but that's playtest garbage.

Besides that, just think about whether having more levels of fighter or rogue would be more fun
>>
>>51631647
First, your party won't get past level 9.

Second, no DM would pick the beta material over the actual release. You are getting sword coast.

Third, if you are starting fighter go Dual Shortswords for more damage.

Fourth, you will need 18 Dex to get through the game, so 4 in Fighter is where you start. You don't need an extra attack cause you are getting sneak attack which will do the same damage except for ability modifiers, but you only need to hit one of your other two attacks to do it.

Fifth, don't be the first guy in the party to pick lucky, it's just wrong. Ask your party first. Mobile is redundant save for movement. Sentinel is worthless cause sneak attack procs once. Dualwielder means with mariner you have the equivalent of a shield, and can use rapiers, not much damage and only one AC. Defensive duelist can add even more AC to attacks against you making it next to impossible to hit you. Skilled is never bad.

Sixth, battlemaster is best cause you have the opportunity to do more damage and do effects with your big hits. Trip attack to knock an enemy prone so your allies can gain advantage is good. Disarming attack is good if you know your action economy. Evasive Maneuver lets allies reposition to get better positions.

Seventh, don't pick lucky.
>>
File: kicksfordays.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
kicksfordays.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>51631703
>tfw the level 8 Fighter/Monk pushes your BBEG 90 feet backwards and off a cliff out of fucking nowhere
>>
>>51631576
You mean
>How to Vegeta.
Ki blast 3-4 fools this turn.
Send weaklings to oblivion with Galick Gun or Big Bang Attack since they are barely worthy of the attention of the prince of all Saiyans
>>
>>51631831
You can proc sneak attack on attack of opportunity. It's "once per turn" not "once per round". Sentinel is actually a really good choice for a rogue, minus the fact that no finesse weapons have reach.
>>
Lucky is great why is everyone upset about it?
>>
>>51632017
Kinda tedious if you ask me.
>>
>>51631960
Well that doesn't seem very fair, a level 3 assassin Rogue can do 9d6 + Dex twice on their first turn with only a reaction and action used, and no resources expended.
>>
So what should I use my last ASIan for my monk? Bring my CON to 16 or get PAMper?
>>
>>51631778
>>51631831
Thanks anons!

I won't take lucky and might just take dual wielding. So mariner sucks and duelist is superior?
>>
So what is the tier list for 5e now?
>>
>>51632185
Dual welding is bad.
>>
>>51632017
It's the only universally good feat. The rest of them have variable value depending on your character. Lucky is just always good. This makes people assmad because it homogenizes builds. Or something like that IDK
>>
>>51630457
>>51630501
https://twitter.com/aquelajames/status/828687342508519424

It'll be out on the 16th.
>>
Anyone here an AL DM?

Anyone know if the Initiate item can be used only once or for every new character you make?
>>
>>51631860
Why did I laugh so hard at this?
>>
Are Kensei weapons supposed to be Monk weapons too? Because that would mean disabling the martial arts benefits
>>
>>51632017
It's annoying as shit for the DM because nobody ever just picks it up. It's always that stupid lucky halfling diviner shit and it inevitably slows the game to a crawl because then the player has to decide whether to reroll a die every time they get hit or miss their attack
>>
I imagine my sun soul monkey creating searing sunburst with her hand and kicking it to the target like a ball.
>>
>>51629400
>In 5e the barbarian's rages work nothing like anything the fighter has
I mean its not much different than battlemasters really.
>Battlemasters get superiority die that they can use to do things
>Barbarians get unarmoured defence and rage which gives them some damage bonus and resistance against some damage

Ultimately however I don't mind as having monk and barbarian be different classes allows for more diverse subclasses as opposed to fighters having 50 subclasses to differentiate between different barbarians or monks or whatever.
>>
Is there any item the makes radiant damage attack apply blinded condition on a failed save?
>>
>>51632407
That's a very specific demand. No, there's not. Why do you ask?
>>
Anyone think Blink is too much of a crap shoot to use? I mean there is a good chance it will fail and you waster an action and spell slot.
>>
>>51632499
It lasts for 1 minute though, no concentration. In potentially 10 rounds and a 50/50 shot on the die, it should trigger at least once.
>>
>>51632356
>Battlemasters get superiority die that they can use to do things
>Barbarians get unarmoured defence and rage which gives them some damage bonus and resistance against some damage

But those are completely different and unrelated things
>>
Creating a Sandstone Golem for a desert tomb dungeon.

Thinking about just taking the Stone Golem stat block, but what sort of changes would you make to it? I'm burning out a little bit on ideas as I'm fucking 3 layers deep into this thing.
>>
>>51632254
>>51630457
>friend wants to DM a Fast & Furious-styled campaign that's all about getting progressively more absurd vehicles, upgrading them, and using them to do cool road trip shit
>he was thinking about Dark Sun
>Kaladesh is coming out
o bby
>>
>>51632310
As written, no, because it makes Kensei ridiculously powerful.
But everyone is a fucking whiner that can't understand that sometimes you have to sacrifice one good thing for another three good things so if Kensei ever gets revised it probably will be.

But don't homerule that shit as being both because then the class is OP.
>>
>>51632645
Don't get your hopes up - previous plane shifts were nothing special at all, and this one will be no different.
>>
>>51632666
Different anon. What would break if you did so? Would it trigger Flurry of blows or something?
>>
>>51632626
>slows down if wet
>slightly lower AC or lower immunities to resistances

You could do something cool and give it "solid" hp during which his AC is low and he has no immunities and then he crumbles into sand and gains those things
>>
>>51632706
>crumbles into sand to gain immunities

Oooh, I do like that. The Stone Golem has around 180HP~ or so, so I could just have that happen at the 50% milestone.

I also thought about changing the Slow action that the Stone Golem has into a Recharge (5-6) Swarm of Scarab launcher.
>>
>>51632703
I think it was Mearls who said Flurry was one of the things they were worried about, and then later said it wasn't that big of a deal and that Kensei weapons were effectively Monk weapons. They've also said that there were other unknown changes wrapped up in their current rewrite. Some people speculated that it included a ban on using heavy melee weapons as Kensei weapons, but that suggestion gets plenty of backlash from people wanting to play Glaive Kensei's and such.

I made a Kensei pdf the other day but one of the suggestions was that simply making Kensei weapons into Monk weapons was too powerful (at least at lower levels) without some kind of other change. I'd actually hazard a guess that the anon you replied to is the same anon who replied to me about it yesterday. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to throw more homebrew adjustments into the archetype or not, but I'm always open to suggestions.
>>
So I've been thinking about running a 5e game, but I'm really uncomfortable with how scarce magic items are in it. Not one published adventure lets you find a holy sword or a robe of the archmagi for example. With random treasure, you are lucky if every combat char gets a weapon they can use at all.

How much of a sin is it if I give more treasure than the default amount?
>>
File: Curse of Strahd.jpg (415KB, 1536x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Strahd.jpg
415KB, 1536x1055px
>>51632837
> Not one published adventure lets you find a holy sword or a robe of the archmagi for example.
What is Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>51632853
The one I haven't checked. Surprising, since the module it was based on gives a sunblade instead.
>>
>>51632837
It's not a massive sin, it just means you have to ramp up difficulty scaling much faster than normal.

If you do want to hand out magic items early on in your campaign, I'd actually suggest staying away from your typical +1 sword of whatever and +2 robes of the whatshisface. Instead, homebrew minor magical items that have utilitarian effects. That way you can still reward your players with neat trinkets, but don't risk throwing game balance completely out the window.
>>
It's only 9 hours. It's still good.

>>51626833
>Create Bonfire
>Light up a dark battlefield for your darkvision impaired comrades in addition to doing damage
You create a bonfre on ground that you can see within
range. Until the spells ends, the bonfre flls a 5-foot
cube. Any creature in the bonfre’s space when you cast
the spell must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or
take 1d8 fre damage. A creature must also make the
saving throw when it enters the bonfre’s space for the
frst time on a turn or ends its turn there
>Create Bonfire doesn't shed any light.

While I'm digging:
>>51627323
>You can use your action to make a melee attack against any number of creatures.
>If you take an action that includes more than one weapon attack
>You can use your action to make a melee attack
> a melee attack
> a
PHB Whirlwind Attack never made more than one attack. That's RAW.

And last one:
>>51627886
>A 1O-foot-radius immobile dome of force springs into existence around and above you and remains stationary for the duration.
>Spells and other magical effeets can't extend through the dome or be cast through it.
Can't clip through the dome, so you can't stack them.

>>51628089
>make a deal with a Devil;
>get empowered to cast Wish
Warlocks can't learn Wish.
>>
>>51631414
What's the purpose though? Avoiding HP bloat? Low magic games? Why not just disallow full casters?

Also aren't a fairly significant amount of class features for half casters tied up in their limited spellcasting?
>>
>>51631960
>Sentinel is actually a really good choice for a rogue, minus the fact that no finesse weapons have reach.
Whips have reach, but Sentinel doesn't particularly benefit from reach last I checked.
>>
How does a Barbarian/Rogue build usually go? Is it Barbarian 5 / Rogue X, or do you go to Rogue after Barb 2?
>>
Is there a downloadable version of the encounter builder? I'm gonna use my laptop to DM but not sure if I'll have internet.
>>
>>51632820
The thing is that monk archetypes don't get +damage at level 3, so one that does get +damage is unusual. It has to be counterbalanced with less damage elsewhere, but then what do you actually gain from that feature?

Personally, I'd like the weapon-monk path to just use weapons, no punching. So it shouldn't matter if it's a monk weapon or not, because you aren't combining flurry or martial arts with your weapon arts.

I'd also like a punch-monk archetype that can forgo weapons before level 11 without feeling like they're gimping themselves for flavor. Maybe something that does grappling and throws which require your actual hands free instead of just making your punches as strong as swords.
>>
>>51633172
Never mind, the downloadable version of the full toolset actually has it in, I just couldn't find the individual HTML.
>>
>>51633119
>>51633119
depends on what build you're going for. if you're wanting reckless attack for ez sneak attacks then you really only need two levels of barbarian. if you're going for a grapple build, just go one rogue and all the way into barbarian
>>
Pretty cool how the Donjon random generators have settings for not just levels 1-20 but also for 1-13 people. Also, level 1 PCs never get encounters of difficulty less than hard.

1 x Draft Horse (mm 321, cr 1/4); hard, 50 xp
3 x Commoner (mm 344, cr 0); hard, 30 xp
3 x Goat (mm 330, cr 0); hard, 30 xp
>>
>>51633296
I thought Donjon was the one that spit out fights like 8 green dragon adolescents and shit. Didn't everyone use Kobold Fight Club?
>>
>>51633175
Kensei with monk weapons definitely front-loads the class. At level 3 you go from 1d8+1d4 (avg: 7) to 1d12+1d4 (avg: 9). Then at level 5 it's 2d8+1d6 (12.5) vs 2d12+1d6 (16.5). But fast forward to level 17 and 3d10 (16.5) vs 2d12+1d10 (18.5) isn't only a ~10% damage bump. The other side of the argument is that Kensei has essentially nothing in the way of utility like Hand knockdown or Shadow spellcasting, so how much extra damage is that worth?

I think the core problem is that Kensei is essentially a flavor archetype - people like the idea of being a ninja or samurai and aren't necessarily in it for minmaxing damage dice (although those people certainly exist) - but letting players flavor their monk with weapons almost requires a complicated kludge for restricting weapon dice.
>>
>>51632017
If one person takes it, the entire party will see how good it can be and suddenly everyone has it. At that point it may as well just be a rule for everyone instead of wasting a feat/ASI
>>
File: 1464206989163.png (2MB, 1440x1849px) Image search: [Google]
1464206989163.png
2MB, 1440x1849px
>>51633175
>I'd also like a punch-monk archetype that can forgo weapons before level 11 without feeling like they're gimping themselves for flavor. Maybe something that does grappling and throws which require your actual hands free instead of just making your punches as strong as swords.

It's not really a monk but I have played this and had fun
>>
>>51633359
Well you can set Donjon 5e to anything from a 1x1 dungeon to a 20x13 dungeon.

>Didn't everyone use Kobold Fight Club?

Will look when I get back. Does it have Volo's?
>>
>>51629589
I miss the 4e
>>
Anyone here actually play the Way of Four Elements PHB version? You know the old saying don't knock it till you try it and Water Whip doesn't sound too shabby.
>>
>>51633476
Most people here have never played wot4e, berzerker, beastmaster, bladelock or wild mage, so they think they're bad
>>
>>51633508
Yeah I'm working on hitting all of those to broaden my horizons. Beastmaster and berserker I have dabbled in but I'm working on the others.
>>
>>51633476
> Water Whip doesn't sound too shabby
WotC thought that too, so they errata'd it.
>>
>>51633553
Some of them have specific builds that get crazy, a small beastmaster can do some crazy shit with a mount/companion for instance
>>
>>51633573
Yeah and berserker I just Reckless Attacked and GWM all 3 attacks every time at five, and got teammates to help action for skills out of combat after a frenzy.
>>
>>51629704
Never having to go to the laundromat is a cool ability you get from prestidigitation.
>>
>>51632114
Throw in a battlemaster fighter who grants the rogue an extra attack with his maneuvers and an extra die for damage as well. It's fun!

I kinda wanna see a party that's 3 battlemaster fighters and an assassin rogue.
>>
What are some good questions to ask online players so I can sieve though the autists and 13 years old?
>>
>>51633956
>Have you ever caught a bad guy? Like, a real supervillain?

In all seriousness, I haven't played any games online. Probably something like, 'would you play a game where you could only play humans and a select few classes,' or 'is Naruto / other trash anime good,' stuff like that.
>>
>>51633956
>playing online
why
>>
File: fresh_hell_final.jpg (87KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
fresh_hell_final.jpg
87KB, 640x512px
>>51628531
What... what the actual fuck? Why did you make your setting a chrony bureaucracy?

THE POINT OF THESE GAMES IS ESCAPISM
>>
>>51633956
>>51634172
Actually, come to think of it, that could be a pretty good question. Ask them why they're playing online.
If they say stuff like
>old group didn't allow kitsune
>mom thinks D&D comes from Satan
then you know to drop them, while
>I'm stuck in Nebraska for now
>I work the night shift in (weird time zone) and have a weird sleep schedule so I gotta kill time
are probably alright fellows
>>
what would be a short and nice derogatory name for a mercenary taking unlawful jobs be?

i was thinking of something along the lines of "blood money scoundrel" but it really doesn't roll of the tongue very well and is a bit too long
>>
>>51634221
"sellsword"? It's pretty matter of fact but for most insults what matters is the intent.
>>
>>51634221
sellsword, scoundrel, bastard merc, theres probably some play on words regarding "whore"
>>
>>51634221
>>51634259
"Sword-whore" sounds pretty funny.
>>
>>51632762
Make it amorphous and more about pursuing the party as it gains damage immunities so they have to figure out the terrain to beat it. Also have it shed various small animals as it takes in sand, desert spiders and scorpions and shit.
>>
>>51634248
>>51634259
>>51634289
i think i'll go with "bloodstain", it's not a "real" insult, but i think it gets the message across, especially if used enough with the right tone
>>
>>51633382
I want weapon monk to be samurai jack, ninjas are for rogues and samurai are for fighters. Kensai is just for such a specific kind of character that its hard to work with.
>>
>>51632706
>>51632626
Came here to say that, FF9 had a sand golem mob that had a great honking jewel on its chest. Now if you had range you could try to hit the jewel. Otherwise you can slap it around while it's solid and it'll eventually collapse and give free access to the jewel to anyone without accurate ranged.
>>
>>51632877
I'd give +1 early on so you can have bigger, more engaging fights then wait a long time before stepping up those benefits. Its kinda boring when its just 4 dudes beating up on one or two.
>>
>>51629589
It's a shame they didn't make a Strength Rogue in their UA.

Sneak Attack on more weapons, Medium armor and Intimidation are things I love on Rogues.
>>
Statting my BBEG:

He's essentially a tear in the world made up of Void, but his base stats are that of a Vampire Spellcaster. What spells could I swap in that would be more suited to the flavour of someone who devoutly serves an empty patron that represents all nothingness?
>>
>>51633397
I can also post Pugilist along with my personal changes so that the feats/ribbons don't fucking drown you.
>>
>>51634172
Was introverted as fuck guy who liked D&D since his childhood from games like Baldurs Gate and Neverwiner Nights. Also lived in eastern European country so the chance of finding someone to play with was close to zero.
At some point when watching a Critical Role stream someone in the chat recommended me roll20. So I took what courage I had and went there.
Read the player's handbook from cover to cover and started making characters. For each game posted new and unique one. Got in some, most fell apart. One lasted few months. Had one where the selecting lasted 2 months and when finally got into the final 5 and had 2 sessions the GM disappeared from every place where we could contact him. Few games where the gm disappeared before even session 0.
And now I'm in a game that we have been playing for the past 6 months and went from level 1 to 9. Its hell of fun. Thats why I play online.
>>51634220
thats actually quite brilliant one, thank you
>>
>>51634386
Probably should know more before judging, but that guy sounds fucking boring. I would hate fighting against him.
>>
>>51634437
What would you suggest instead? This is purely initial statting for character concept, there'll be refinements over time if necessary.
>>
>>51634453
different guy, but I think he's calling the concept boring because the guy is just out to destroy/kill everything. He is clearly capital E Evil and needs to be stopped, but there really isn't a depth to his character.

Imo this is alright if your campaign is meant to be Good vs Evil, but otherwise he might be a little too flat in depth.
>>
>>51634453
Bad guys who want to destroy the world because they can are boring. Devoutly worshipping nothingness is also pretty meh. What's in it for him? Why would he do that?
Bad guys who are motivated by human nature are interesting - be it greed, lust, misguided principles, loyalty, faith, curiosity, drive to be in charge, revenge, whatever.

Also, I slightly misread your post.
>>
File: IMG_0342.jpg (3MB, 2500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0342.jpg
3MB, 2500x1500px
>>51634386
I'm going to piggyback off this anon and ask for some help too

I too am beginning the early phases of my first home made campaign, and I wanted my BBEG to be a fey monstrosity which was TADPOLED.com by some mind flayer colony. I have no idea what I could base my stats off of, I was thinking the Lich Ilithid with changes to the spellcasting and buffing the stats a little
>>
Reading "Into the Abyss" and I'm looking at the maze engine.

Is there any reason that players can't just cast Wall-of-Stone to seal off the lava, and support the engine so it doesn't get destroyed?

Alternatively, a Bear-Barbarian with Powerful Build and Bulls Strength and Enlarge cast on him can just.. Lift the entire maze engine up easily thanks to a carry capacity easily over the two tonnes that the engine weighs.
>>
>>51634505
Oh, right. No, it's more complex than that. He's not out there just being "tear in the world-y". There's a load of flavour mechanics in place for what he's trying to do, but he's not just one dimensional world-hole man. Party probably won't realise he's even much of a threat until they've put together hundreds of independent clues.

I could go into his whole story, but I was mostly hoping for suggestions on spells suited to his power set.
>>
>>51634534
You posted just before I did >>51634541 or I would have replied to you there too.

He's absolutely motivated by human needs and desires. Long story short, he was killed, warped by Magic Gone Wrong™, then came back, powerful but empty, and incredibly bitter, and isn't trying to destroy the world so much as completely unhinge it so he can use (DM-brewed) Void magic to rewrite history where he didn't suffer his life.
>>
>>51634574
And why he needs to be stopped, again?
>>
>>51632703
>be a Monk
>with all the attacks of a Monk
>but also the damage of a Fighter or Barbarian's two-handed weapon
>and +2 AC whenever you feel like it
>also it's a +3 AB/Dam weapon later
Though it's really the +2 AC that does it. Kensei, as it stands, gives you bonus damage and allows you to trade off damage for AC. Kensei-as-Monk-weapons lets you have your cake and eat it, too.
>>
>>51634598
He's responsible for everything bad happening in the area since the party got there. Orchestrated vampire attacks, orc invasions, werewolf murders, etc. etc.

And if he isn't stopped, he gets to rewrite the world as he sees fit.
>>
>>51629469
>what is a sling
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Pugilist Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51634407

Drop Street Smart-Just ask your DM to allow sparring and SCIENCE as a light activity for everyone
Drop Rabble Rouser-No other class gets that shit just by existing
Drop second half of Peak Physical condition and roll herculean into it.
Move Dig Deep to 13 to cover the empty space
Move Bloodied but Unbowed to 4 so the fight club feels more unique
Move Moxie Fueled Fists to 7
Roll Shake It Off into School of Hard Knocks
Fancy Footwork to 10
School of Hard Knocks to 15

Feel free to ignore any part of this but I feel this makes them not only more streamlined (about the same number of feats as monk) but more sensible.
>>
>>51634683
More fight clubs.
>>
>>51634540
>Be Orcus, Lord of undeath, plotting your meteoric rise to the material realm.
>Hear the mortals are raving about some "Maze engine.", how pathetic, evidently it is some sort of weapon they can use against us.
>Some magical contraption, nothing to worry about, the ritual is almost complete, just what is that stomping noise?
Orcus looks up, to find a 14 foot tall goliath in furs barreling towards him and shot-putting a 20ft wide sphere of enchanted brass machinery directly at him.
>>
>>51634537
A Hag-thid starts a coven?
>>
>>51634714
Why do archfiends all want in the prime material? It fucking sucks here with all kinds of bullshit.
>>
>>51634812
That's where souls come from. He just wants to buy the farm.
>>
>>51630988
They easily have the power to 'seal off' rogue adventurers.
It's called numbers and guards. A bunch of guards can easily take down a whole bunch of adventurers just wandering around and sleeping about the place.

A bunch of guards do not have the will to put their lives in extreme danger nor the skill to overcome traps and challenges nor the expertise to take out enemies in much more enclosed spaces and fight on even grounds with monsters.

Of course, if the monsters were out in the open, a whole bunch of guards could probably take down a single monster, but if monsters run rampant a bunch of guards can't singlehandedly hunt every single monster down.

Rogue adventurers are no more than isolated monsters.
>>
File: Kensei v2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kensei v2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51634602
Better?
>>
>>51633056
The purpose is getting to do the shit that your class is meant to do at higher levels in a realistic world where groups and campaigns don't run weekly sessions for months on end before being completed or falling to pieces somehow.

The average game, started at level 1-3, dies or ends before even level 10.
>>
Thought it's better to create a new thread than wait until some animu faggot does it instead.
>>51634956
>>
Does anyone know if 4th edition ever used ability damage?
>>
>>51634936
A better fix would be to prevent ever having a non-Monk (as defined before you have Kensei levels) weapon attack in the same round as you gain the AC bonus.

If all of your attacks in a round are unarmed strikes, you gain +2 AC, as you are defending yourself with the weapon (potentially including using it in non-standard ways, like pommel strikes or flat-bladed blows) instead of using it as intended as an offensive implement.

You can have your cake, you can eat your cake, but you can't do both in the same round.
>>
>>51634812
1. orcus is the lord of teh undead, its unclear how many undead can be made out of demons if any, but 99.9% of his minions (visages and lichfiends aside) are clearly mortals
2. the prime material isn't made of burning acidic death and infested with indefinitely large quantities of hostile demons
>>
>>51634934
its good that the government puts its vast forces that could be used to destroy all evil, or at least massively help adventurers so saving the world would be a curb stomp, to instead destroying the people who seek to destroy evil
>>
>>51634248
>>51634259

is sellsword supposed to have a bad connotation though?
>>
>>51634985
it never did period
>>
>>51635427
Yeah.
>>
File: am10.jpg (31KB, 600x319px) Image search: [Google]
am10.jpg
31KB, 600x319px
>>51632706
>>51634301
I see your stolen references, you aren't the only one who has played Battle Network 3
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.