[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some ways to make an engineer class work in a game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: gJfX7uA.png (392KB, 633x308px) Image search: [Google]
gJfX7uA.png
392KB, 633x308px
What are some ways to make an engineer class work in a game?

I don't want it to be freeform; because that way you depend on the GM to say what you can build or not. I want the player to have some sort of knowledge about his choices.

I'm thinking on making a list of things you can build:

-a super weapon
-a robot
-a cyber part
-a transport
-a transmitting device

etc. Then letting the player choose which one he wants each level up. This way the knowledge of making the thing is abstracted into EXP gained; and has a natural limitation other than money (which in the end is another way of GM's limit: you can just put any price on the project, as high as you need to set a deliberate difficulty)
>>
>>51627630
> -a super weapon
Seems a little crazy unless you tie a level requirement to builds.

If you want to make it a harder choice at each level, you could have a one-time selection at each. Like you have 5 things you can build at level 1, but the list at level 2 cannot include going back to make a second level 1 item. Or a new list at every second level, so you can only choose 2 from 5 and can't go back.

Could also be like tech tree, where each choice opens up 2 or more choices at the next level.

Dunno why I've focused on options that discourage going back to lower level options, but it's late and I've little inclination to cover the myriad ways you could go about making player options exempt from GM meddling.
>>
>>51627630
>>51627749
Also: Is there a reason you want to keep the GM out of it?

Seems to me that a measure of cooperation between player and GM is always needed. Have you experience with GMs railroading you out of your desired character path?

My luck with GMs may bias me into making this inquiry, I admit.
>>
>>51627799
>>51627799
>Is there a reason you want to keep the GM out of it?

Is just the opposite: I, as a GM, don't want to have to bargain what they can or cannot do; and I don't want to say: "OK, for this mission you get whatever gadget you want, name it" because that's too wide a choice and the players natural drive to minmaxing leads to a "tryhard weapon that is also a cyber maid which also fits in my pocket"; or to players without inventive at all who can't decide and end up thinking about things that don't fit the setting.

Maybe I'm just being too absolutist, but I like to have lists for things; what is allowed and what is not (which of course are always up to modifications, but still)

>>51627749
well, even a super weapon must be ranged or melee, so you still need STR or DEX to use them. (Unless it is specifically designed to be usable with other stat). I'm not against giving crazy advantages, providing they're on par with same classes of the same "level".

Just for clarification, I'm not using D&D, Is a very rules light homebrew. But it has stats and levels.
>>
>>51627630
Basically handle it like magic, in, say, Barbarians of Lemuria.

You want to achieve something that has difficulty X. You can mitigate this difficulty by
spending more time, more dosh, or weakening the effect of whatever you are doing.
>>
Go to the d20pfsrd and look up the Machinesmith, OP. Even if you don't play Pathfinder, it should give you a pretty good idea.
>>
>>51628466
Yeah and no. Magic is immediate: you produce results in the spot; even if powerful.
Tech must be built. You need in-game time to build a robot or a device. This can be abstracted on days/months/years, but absolutely can not be done on the spot; you have to build whatever you need before you face the danger.
>>
>>51628506

I will, thanks!!!! I'll post somehting when I do it
>>
>>51628592
Sure, make the minimum time unit like 10 minutes then.
>>
>>51627630
Print out the space station 13 crafting pages and tell them that this is what they need to make the various things, then apply whatever target number for the die roll you feel appropriate.
>>
>>51627630

I dunno, if you want to go for an engineer, you could make the constructions rely on the exp system you propose plus some basic materials to make the things they need.

For example, they want to make a car. To make a car, they need an engine, basic chassis and wheel. the bare minimum.

So to make the car, they'd need those parts, plus the required level/exp to make it.

Also, you can abstract the engine as a machine/contraption that makes the wheel spin, chassis as anything sturdy enough to support the wheels and the engine without braking down, etc.
>>
File: 9fa.jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
9fa.jpg
12KB, 275x183px
>>51627630
It becomes difficult if the player knows what they're doing.

Making items will always be better than buying items, since you're allowing an engineer class playable you're also by extension allowing one of the two most important resources an engineer to have, Time, meaning they'll be able to do their job to make the things the party needs/wants while increasing how good the party is beyond what they should be capable of. The second thing is Money, whatever loot you give them 80% of the time is going to be sold/remade/broken for materials so the engineer can make the things the party wants/needs rather than the cool and unique stuff you designed for this reward. Since they're already getting better gear from the engineer rather than what you should have since ALL OF THE MONEY is being pumped into them so they can churn out better stuff.

As a GM, its your job to either A. Limit time, making it so they have to pick and choose what they can and cant do right now. B. Limit money/loot which will aggravate all of the players since it also takes that aspect out of the game or C. Limit what they can or cant do, this can be setting TNs or Requirements for making any item in or out of the book, which is the ultimate pain in your and their ass but it's also the only thing you can really control
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.