[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you start to GM? I'm a long time player and we decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: ambush_by_qissus-d8pop3g.jpg (132KB, 1024x630px) Image search: [Google]
ambush_by_qissus-d8pop3g.jpg
132KB, 1024x630px
How do you start to GM?
I'm a long time player and we decided to take turns GMing one shots from now, what do I do?
I have no Idea how to be a game master, I've thought about putting together two one page dungeons I picked up here last week or so, but how do I start things?
>>
>>51612599
Just wing it.
>>
Ask your player about the things you can't think for yourself.
>>
File: my_gm_method.gif (475KB, 290x199px) Image search: [Google]
my_gm_method.gif
475KB, 290x199px
>>51612599
>>
>>51612599
tg is no place for people who don't want to argue
>>
Just write something you'd like to play. Be creative and smart.

It's easy.
>>
>>51612599
Your question is really hard to answer, OP. Try narrowing it a bit.
>>
>>51615061
I don't know I just don't know where to start with this whole GM thing
>>
>>51612599
Are you doing it in person or through roll20?

Either way there's a ton of really good videos available for either that give great advice, pitfalls to avoid, technique, how to strike a good balance on prepwork, how to speed up the game, etc.

Besides the knowledge (which you can learn), and the experience (which will come with time), the only other two things you need is effort and creativity.
>>
>>51615710
>pitfalls to avoid, technique, how to strike a good balance on prepwork

Any particular videos for these?
Interested in prepwork, because that's the next checkbox to tackle.
Working on GM'ing an Unknown Armies game
>>
Where does it start? An idea.

The rest is just winging it. Not even joking. There are countless times where I've gone into sessions with no idea or a rough idea of what should happen, and the players didn't know any wiser. If you can improvise, you're good to go.
>>
>>51616923
I mean, just youtube it. Anything reasonably popular probably is fine. There's tons of blogs for this stuff too

Here's some links to get you started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDGjkexRMo8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPD1B46KhSM
https://jrients.blogspot.com/2011/04/twenty-quick-questions-for-your.html

Typically a new GM will overprepare. You could spend 20 hours preparing for a campaign, and you could spend 200 hours, but most of that prep won't actually come into play. It's better to just have several locations prepared, and then do some more prepwork before each session as necessary. Besides a vague outline, never plan more than two sessions in advance.

It's also useful to use a module to start with instead of making up everything on your own, to have a list of names, a list of places, several useful statblocks, and a list of interesting treasures and rewards.

I'd say it's also extremely vital that you are intimately familiar with the combat rules. You don't want to have to look them up mid session. You also need to understand combat so you can properly challenge the players without overwhelming or underwhelming them.
>>
>>51617075
To expand on this: PNP RPGs are about collaborative storytelling. The GM has to have a world, a premise for the PCs to do something, and provided non-shitter tier PCs, the PCs will take care of the rest. Prepwork is pretty much confined to big picture or set piece items: the background plot (BBEG's ideas, the king's premise for hiring mercenaries (the PCs), dungeon maps, unique NPCs). From there, you flesh out the world: aesthetic, culture, society. Now you've got a sandbox to play in, and something for the players to do.

Steer gently, railroad subtly.
>>
>>51617136
Okay, thanks for the tips though, anon.

I was mostly going to flesh out the broad strokes of the first act, and have enough likely locations and scenarios planned for the first session and let it go from there. I was also thinking of developing a short stack of rumors on notecards, since UA has such wonderful rumors, weird rituals passed around by second hand knowledge and what not, and have a few likely plot hooks, to randomly distribute to the players at their first meeting of their characters. Just enough for that distrubution.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.