[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dota 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 24

what do people like about dota 2's lore? what would translate well to a tabletop system? what wouldn't?
>>
>>51607162
>what do people like about dota 2's lore?
They sort of just pity how it flounders about
>what would translate well to a tabletop system?
I guess the brevity of it that would save paper.
>what wouldn't?
The lack of any sort of soul or originality.
>>
>>51607162
As much as I like the game, its lore os fairly bland. I've heard LoL does that part better.
>>
>>51607162
Ok, so, we really need to come up with a good Skirmish game for Moba-Fags. Advanced Songs of Blades and Heroes would actually work quite nicely in a League/Dota genre game.
>>
>>51607286
>The lack of any sort of soul or originality.
What's so unoriginal?
>>
>>51607162

With how many barefoot heroes there are in DOTA, which of the developers is a closet footfag? Because it can't be a coincidence.
>>
>>51607418
Who is barefoot again? I can remember Lina and Windranger, but that's all.
>>
>>51607286
Let me guess, you think they ripped off Blizzard? Much like how Blizzard ripped their orcs off of Warhammer?
>>
>>51607429

Mirana, and of course several of the monstrous champs
>>
File: Shitposting_in_gesture_form.png (858KB, 1130x1155px) Image search: [Google]
Shitposting_in_gesture_form.png
858KB, 1130x1155px
>>51607687
>champs
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Hey been playing Dota since it's inception:

Shit stuff-

The cross over between real life mythos (zeus) and in-game mythos (even if they have lore as to why it's like that)

Anything that promotes the universe only fighting over ancients or whatever. It's fuckin dumb honestly.

Good Stuff-

The comics. Everything about them.`
World creation
How good and evil are quite literally based on perception.
>>
>>51607162
Did you know those character sheets are pieces of the moon?
>>
>>51607429

For some reason both LoL and DOTA 2 have a not insignificant slice of heroes who go around barefoot. Especially noticeable with DOTA 2 because none of them did in the original DOTA.
>>
>>51607302
Well you heard wrong good sir.
>>
The comics have some good world building in them
>>
Dota has fantastic world building

There just isn't that much of it yet. There's a map in the old tutorial but they got rid of that, and some old passages from the book from the older tutorial that mentioned things like the mad moon.

Then there's other stuff that doesn't link up well. Like Elder Titan fucked up when forging the world, which created the fundamentals, but some of the fundamentals like chaos knight exist in other planes, or came from the dawn of time like Ezalor.

Or how Ancient Apparition isn't technically a fundamental, is technically an elemental, but somehow represents the cold death of the universe

Stuff like Zeus doesn't really bother me, just because there's plenty of historical anachronisms that exist in all fantasy settings, like "barbarian" or other gods like Thor or Cthulhu
>>
>>51607396
Everything!
>>
File: Keyart_wisp.jpg (3MB, 3780x1572px) Image search: [Google]
Keyart_wisp.jpg
3MB, 3780x1572px
I like that the ancients are essentially supergods, being far and above even Zeus. It really shows how mighty they are in comparison when Arc Warden, an ancient no longer at his prime, managed to casually restore some of Zeus' godhood.

Though the Fundamentals, including this thing, comes close to reaching that supergod status.
>>
>>51610968
what about Timbersaw?
Can't really say I have seen that somewhere else.
>>
>>51608507
Since the 4 fundamental forces had to exist at the beginning of time for the universe to form, wouldn't that mean ET made the universe by separating them?
>>
>>51610968
The heroes? Some of them are rip offs of the Wc3 models but Valve changed a lot of them too. Besides most of the things that are ripped off are ripping off a generic tropes such as Broodmother being a gigantic spider or Dragon Knight being an armoured knight.

The abilities? Pretty sure Wc3 didn't have hooks to pull people in, throwing arrows, spellstealing, a guy with 10 different spells, and Meepo with his cloning ultimate.
>>
>>51607396
Isn't it literally a reworked Warcraft 3 scenario?
>>
>>51613716
Almost all the abilities got changed like crazy.

Warcraft 3 never had Pudge hook, Meepo Divided we Stand, etc.

And Warcraft orcs are literally stolen from Warhammer. Orcs from Dnd and Lotr were either pig men or short and grey, not gigantic, green, and tusked.
>>
>>51613660

> Pretty sure Wc3 didn't have hooks to pull people in, throwing arrows, spellstealing, a guy with 10 different spells, and Meepo with his cloning ultimate.

You've never played WC3 custom games before have you?
>>
>>51614239
But Dota is a WC3 custom game
>>
>>51614239
Yes because Blizzard made all those custom games and therefore all abilities designed by the makers are made by them.
>>
>>51614249

What?
>>
>>51614249

You realize Valve didn't make dota as a warcraft 3 mod right? They just made dota 2.

The people that made dota in WC3 custom are either working for valve now (Icefrog) or working on League of Legends.
>>
>>51614324
The only maker of Wc3 dota in LoL is Guinsoo, who made retarded shit like 27 spell invoker and a guy with a 10 second root. Pendragon just hosted a website.

I never said Valve made dota for wc3, genius.
>>
File: expectations meets reality.jpg (55KB, 640x172px) Image search: [Google]
expectations meets reality.jpg
55KB, 640x172px
To be honest, the lore can be inconsistent. For example, creeps (specifically the lane creeps) were supposed to be mindless and endlessly fighting, being normal people transformed into mindless slaves by the ancients' very presence.

Now they're apparently people who can have families and opinions.

Then again, we wouldn't have Ilexa without the new lore, so maybe it's acceptable.
>>
>>51614377

Then I have no idea what your point is.
You said

>Pretty sure Wc3 didn't have hooks to pull people in, throwing arrows, spellstealing, a guy with 10 different spells, and Meepo with his cloning ultimate.

It did. the version of dota in Warcraft 3 had all these things. Valve did not have any stake in dota at the time. I never implied blizzard owned it or anything you're trying to drag into the conversation.

My only point was that the warcraft 3 custom map dota had all these things. All these abilities.
>>
>>51614405
Ilexa will be corrupted by the presence of the ancients in time as well.
>>
File: Rocket-Raccoon2.jpg (61KB, 575x306px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket-Raccoon2.jpg
61KB, 575x306px
>>51614431
delet this
>>
>>51613875

>never had Pudge hook

https://youtu.be/Hm9ZDJekA3o?t=4m27s
>>
>>51607162
It really has no depth yet. On /tg/ you're competing with games that have up to 30+ years of history, and vast intricate storylines. Dota itself could possibly translate to the table top and would make a fun quick game, but the lore is almost non existent compared to warhammer, dnd, and the various other big games on here. Also dota is currently only a computer game and thus has no place on /tg/ yet. Warcraft at least has card games which is why it gets discussed here from time to time
>>
>>51613875

>no Divided We Stand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FOH-DjyP_8
>>
File: oracle.png (885KB, 810x707px) Image search: [Google]
oracle.png
885KB, 810x707px
>this fucker completely wrecked an entire universe on his own
Can you even stat him based on his lore? It feels like it would be a "you lose" scenario.
>>
>>51614513
>>51614554
I don't think you guys get the point he was making
>>
I like how many of the heroes are vague allusions to modern physical theories.
>>
>>51614576

I can agree on that, I have no idea what point he was making.

People were talking about the lore and then he suddenly started spouting bullshit about X ability not existing in the dota custom map for warcraft 3.

Explain his point if possible. He seems incapable.
>>
>>51608407
He didn't, though. Lol does lore better because lol does it at all, valve doesn't really give a shit. Sure, they sometimes release a random comic, and many (if not all) of the heroes have compelling and strong personalities (characterised mostly through voice-lines). But there is no semblance of a plot, and the interactions between the heroes are limited to occasional voice reactions. The world itself is mostly undefined, so there's nothing about it that would make it non-generic.
None of that is a problem for me, the developers just made a conscious decisions to not care about lore other than defining the heroes.
t. dotafag
>>
>>51614607
People said nothing was original and I said the abilities and most of the heroes appearance were, you retard.

I said the abilities weren't made by Blizzard and are original to dota you fucking inbred. The post saying they were was sarcasm.
>>
>>51614419
I'm saying Blizzard didn't make those so Dota is original, in response to the anon that said everything is unoriginal. Learn to read the first fucking post in a tread you godda retard.
>>
>>51607162
Dota 2's lore is ok, I like it, but It's more of the individual characters that shine in their personal stories (NOT all of them, just most), and the issue with that is players are presuming going to be making their own unique characters in such a world. So dota really boils down to:
-Some fallen kingdoms
-A few interesting "Old Laws"
-Two very evil mind controlling rocks wanted to kill each other.

League of Legends on the other hand has a much more thematic world that is begging the pushes and pulls of different sides in secret and overt conflicts... but the opposite of Dota, (most of) their character personal stories suck balls or are jokes.

I don't like LoL as much as I like Dota, but between the two LoL is a more interesting RPG world to play in- excluding their characters when possible.
>>
File: HeroClix001.jpg (88KB, 840x435px) Image search: [Google]
HeroClix001.jpg
88KB, 840x435px
>>51614546
>Also dota is currently ONLY a computer game and thus has no place on /tg/ yet.
>>
>>51614587
Explain?
All i see are more obvious pop-nerd references.
>>
>>51614854
>>51614888

... I'm still not getting your point. Yes the abilities were made by someone for the warcraft 3 custom map dota. Most of these abilities were also in other custom games of warcraft 3. You have whole resources dedicated to creating new stuff for Warcraft 3, new spells etc... ( http://www.hiveworkshop.com/repositories/spells.569/ ) which were usually quickly integrated into Dota or Tides of blood or whatever other Moba was being played there. Most of the original Dota heroes had nearly exact doppelgangers in those other mobas too.

I'm not the guy claiming it was unoriginal, since I know barely any of the lore. But what the fuck do abilities have to do with the lore? What gives Dota 2 a claim on the original dota's abilities?

Valve didn't design any of them. They aren't original to Dota 2. So in that regard that anon is right, they are unoriginal. As in, Valve merely copied something from a community made game and copied the name.

But that doesn't really matter as we're talking about the lore. Which doesn't really exist at all.
>>
>>51615088

To add to that, what gives dota the sole claim to shit every other custom game was using at the time?
>>
>>51615088
The guy was saying EVERYTHING was unoriginal, which includes abilities. Since Icefrog redesigned many of the heroes most of the abilities he made, thus he's just remaking most of his abilities for Dota 2. Since he works for Valve, after all.
>>
>>51607162
Comics for people that don't know.
About 42ish pages in all.

dota2
dot
com/comics/are_we_heroes_yet/
>>
>>51615341
There's tons of them. 1 for Axe, 1 for Zeus, 2 for Monkey King, 1 for AM and Windranger, 1 for PA and Oracle, and probably some more.
>>
>>51607162
>what do people like about dota 2's lore?
It's an endless war of all kinds of different super heroes, cosmic forces and someone with a runny nose.
What appeals is the chaos and sheer absurdity of it all. Like personified gravity being murdered by a retarted drunken panda.

>what would translate well to a tabletop system?
The simplicity of the stats. There are only three main attributes and skills do not depend on attributes (mostly). The game is also heavily focused on acquiring pwer. Either by gaining levels or by finding items of legendary power.

In a tabletop game the campaign would be a mad race for the powerful items of antiquity.

>what wouldn't?
Like Morrowind Dota hands all its calculations to the PC. The biggest problem will be the positioning of characters relative to each other and their skills.
>>
>>51615616
How would balancing permanent growth heroes like Legion or Pudge work?
>>
>>51615077
Oracle is uncertainty
Enigma is gravity
Io is electragnetism
CK is the strong nuclear force
Kotl is the weak nuclear force.
>>
>>51616900
I used to think this was an asspull theory but:
>(ET to CK) A strong force you were...
>(Enigma to KotL) Ezalor, the weak and infirm...
>(Puck to Enigma) To be a true enigma, it would be best to style oneself on something less studied than gravity.
>>
>>51616900
Are you sure Oracle is uncertainty?
>>
>>51617738
Can one ever be sure?
>>
>>51617761
Interpret this *unzips dick*
>>
>>51613469
Maybe, but Elder Titan's bio seems less grand, it sounds more like he just fucked up the world Dota 2 takes place on
>>
>>51617800
We will need a microscope to interpret that.
>>
>>51607162
Like someone else said, DoTA started life as a mod, using the assets/models from Warcraft 3.
As a result, its lore is shit.
It's garbage. The only kinda neat thing is the ancients/how they influence people to kill their other half.
But everything else is kinda shit, cause it was all layered on top of the mod, in a rather awkward way.
>>
>>51617800
Is that all?

>>51617850
ET definetly exists on some multiversal level. He participated in the Planck era, when the four fundamental forces were unified. Then he shattered that unity somehow, and now their sentient expressions ravage across the multiverse.
>>
>>51616900
Enigma, IO, Chaos Knight, and Ezalor are all Fundamentals either created by Elder Titan, or created by the Titans in general when the universe was formed.

Oracle is simply very powerful at divination, so much so that he can see other realities
>>
>>51617960
Read Oracle's background again. The oracles that came before him could see other realities. Nerif actually shaped them, in one case actually enforcing many worlds theory on a battle.
>>
>>51617904
>tfw you fuck up so bad you have to spend billions of years cleaning up your mess
>>
File: Nameless One.jpg (19KB, 320x299px) Image search: [Google]
Nameless One.jpg
19KB, 320x299px
>>51618490
So Elder Titan was the Nameless One's original incarnation all along?
>>
>>51618048

Sure, he's powerful, but no other fundemental, or elder titan make note of him being a fundemental (granted, he came after, so maybe there's no voice lines). In some ways he's in the same boat as figures like Leshrac, Lone Druid, and monkey king. Figures who were once mortal but through some knowledge or rite were made immensely powerful
>>
>>51611051
Ancient Apparition is gonna kill everything though

He's literally the Heat Death of the Universe personified
>>
>>51621570
His ultimate should start on cooldown and only come off once the universe ends. using it wins the game instantly.

"wait guys my ulti's on cooldown"
>>
>>51614952
Think this guy gets it.
Clinkzs story is pretty dope for a concept
>>
File: GeLbQWZ.png (83KB, 1154x814px) Image search: [Google]
GeLbQWZ.png
83KB, 1154x814px
>>51624886
Cursed burning skeleton is cool and all, but have you considered the prisoner of DOUBLE HELL
>>
>>51625663
Didn't pflax basically say there are only 4 choices for Dota 3 hero back stories?

I think they were Wizard Fight, Last of his Kind, God did it, and Cop Out.
>>
File: 1398957291856.jpg (259KB, 1214x658px) Image search: [Google]
1398957291856.jpg
259KB, 1214x658px
Theres not all too much to the lore really, but the characters themselves and their individual bits of fluff i love.

All superheroes/villains of their own accord, and it's not quite as retarded as LoL's roster.
I especially have a soft spot for all of the Trolls, aswell as Bradwarden and Bristleback
>>
All I can say is that Windranger has extremely cute feet, and more DOTA2 females should go bare foot.
>>
File: shiver my timber.jpg (125KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
shiver my timber.jpg
125KB, 800x800px
I absolutely adore timbersaw,
his design
his voice lines
his kit

everything with this hero is perfectly on point. They took the rather stupid sounding concept of
a goblin afraid of trees to the next lvl.
I mean he is the sole survivor of the last marsh of the ents and nobody believes him.
>>
>>51626489
Found the footfag.
>>
>>51628540
These are some real detective skills you got here
>>
>>51628540

You are truly the modern-day Sherlock Holmes, anon.
>>
File: 1485805190988s.jpg (8KB, 217x250px) Image search: [Google]
1485805190988s.jpg
8KB, 217x250px
>>51607162
>your 200 MMR will translate into the tabletop adaption
>>
>>51615032 not who you responded to but I have those
>>
>>51628784
>200 MMR
you serious?
>>
>>51614854
>>51614888
what is it that makes moba/arts/assfaggots-players such toxic short-tempered dicks?
>>
>>51627093
He's perfectly fucking annoying and tiresome, I'll give him that.
>>
>>51629057
>deride what someone says as bullshit
>call him short tempered
Fucking hypocrite.
>>
Dotas lore is shit

Terrorblade is fucking terrible in this

>He was so evil not even hell could contain
>he was sent to SUPER HELL

I do adore Juggernaut and Bounty Hunter though
>>
>>51626489

I fucking love Windrunners design in Dota 2
>>
>>51629252
?
where did i imply what he said was bullshit? i was merely commenting on the tone of his post
>>
>>51629256
that's hilarious tho
>>
>>51629319
>he was spouting bullshit about X ability not existing
I was replying to that
>>
>>51607162

The issue with DOTA 2's Lore is that they never get chances to dwell more into it because the game doesn't require a story to work. Just some thematics backstories, some interactions between some characters and done.

The world painted by the comics and bios is pretty fun.

A massive world doomed to fight because of 2 clashing deities that corrupt eberybody's mind around them to enforce their petty squabble for all eternity.

How average people corrupted by the ancients turn morph into creeps and only heroes manage to keep their body and mind intact (mostly)

How Roshan was a thief that tried to steal the aegis from the merchant and in returned was cursed by both deities to be forever killed and reborn.

All the races, Elder Titan's backstory, the mad moon.

So much potential for an old school campaign driven RTS/ARPG.
>>
>>51629368
That one axe comic where he's basically Conan being followed by a scribe is really neat but unfortunately that not what the actual game is about
>>
>>51629368
It's kind of sad that Dota 2 is Valves most played game and they spend most of their time making hats and not more comics or stuff.
>>
>>51629368
>>51629416

Valve should just make a comic series for DOTA 2. They've been trying to push stuff like trading cards and Action figures of the series for years now, but the characters don't have enough charisma or story for people to care about them outside the game.

A comic, cartoon or even novel series would increase interest in them a lot.
>>
>>51629461
Quiet goyim, buy more hats.
>>
>The Living Form of the Inescapable Death of Existence
Vs
>Guy Who is Friends with a Bat

Dota 2 lore is great. A ttrpg would need to capture the feeling of everyone starting at more or less the same power level regardless of their backstory.

And what
>>51615616
Said about it being a race for artifacts
>>
>>51630187
>>51615616

The reason why the massive difference betwen powerlevels in the games are equalized is that the Dire and Radiant deities empower everybody so they all stand in fair ground.
>>
>>51629365

As the guy who made the comment, it was bullshit though. Those abilities existed in Warcraft 3 dota.
>>
>>51630260
I was saying that they weren't made by Blizzard. My point was that the abilities were original to Dota, not other custom games or Blizzard.
>>
>>51628978
Yes. I just play for the sake of playing and don't actually try much though.
>>
>>51630187
>don't tell one of the players about everyone starting the same
>tries to make an OP as shit hero
>same strength as a monkey riding an elephant
Would be funny.
>>
I'm going to have to ask but, is this the one where they summon heroes to duke it out?

If so-

What the fuck is a frosty Lich doing there?
Why is there a Drow Ranger there, and where is her mandatory BDSM Femdom kit?
>>
>>51632428
Stop with the fetishes.
>>
>>51631757
>character strength grows in proportion to kill participation
>majority of wealth is directly transferred to whoever gets the last hit
>>
Dota just has a strange sort of comedy. Character interactions are gold and each hero has a very sharp and exaggerated personality. I hope they make a silencer figma soon. Chinese shilling killed a lot of the fun.
>>
>>51632428
>What the fuck is a frosty Lich doing there?
Why not, there's godlike beings and then there's the guy who literally entered the fight for a bet
>Why is there a Drow Ranger there, and where is her mandatory BDSM Femdom kit?
She's a good girl and was just adopted by drow
>>
>>51635312
>tfw no halloween events or spooky hats ever because 2spooky for the chinese
>>
>>51634725
>monkey riding elephant becomes the strongest hero in the game
>>
I actually played in a homebrewed D&D 4e Dota campaign that was pretty fun. Honestly most of the worldbuilding you would have to do yourself, but just having characters from the game showing up every so often was pretty cool.
>>
>>51636330
So what were the rules, classes, other stuff?

You got a PDF or something? I'm kind of interested.
>>
>>51637556
I dont have a pdf, but essentially we had classes that covered the main roles, with spells either homebrewed or borrowed from actual classes. As for rules it played similar to 4e, with the exception of a mana mechanic that the gm added that worked similar to pp. we could use daily and encounter powers as normal, but as a minor action you could spend X amount of mana to recharge an expended power. It was a bit op but monsters had it too so it balanced out
>>
>>51607162
I plagiarized undying's bio for my first ever PC's backstory because I thought it made for a perfect GOOlock backstory.

Otherwise the lore is shit.
>>
>>51635981
>Skeleton King is dead and replaced by a shitty ghost
>>
>>51632428
Nah, that is LoL. But there is no League anymore, so the characters are fighting just cause.

Honestly the people saying LoL gets points for trying are wrong. LoL's lore writers are so fucking bad they had to retcon the whole central premise because they couldn't write their way out of a fucking elementary school English class.
>>
File: lore.jpg (584KB, 1147x1769px) Image search: [Google]
lore.jpg
584KB, 1147x1769px
>>51607162
no one gives a shit about dota lore except for people who do ironically

dota lore is fucking retarded
>>
File: 1485626723750.jpg (19KB, 253x296px) Image search: [Google]
1485626723750.jpg
19KB, 253x296px
>>51639111

>League Lore is Dead

Never forget the Megling Genocide

I was a closed beta player and the termination of their lore team fuckin killed me. They had some neat stuff.

Miss you, Old Taric.
>>
>>51639133
Still better than LoL's quality of writing. But those login themes for some characters are pretty nice.

>>51639204
I will forever be assblasted by how terrible the lore got.
>>
>>51639217
How bad can LoL lore get?
>>
>>51639317
its better than dota lore but thats a pretty low bar
>>
>>51639317
Amumu is a sad mummy. That is almost an exact quote.

>>51639323
Bullshit, the writers were so bad they had to retcon the whole central piece of the setting with the institute of lore and are constantly changing character's backstories.

Trundle was originally a cool martyr hero, now he is just a lucky moron.
>>
>>51639323
>implying any lore with terrorblade the slayer of school bullies and drunk dads is bad
>>
File: 1469870392153.jpg (10KB, 250x208px) Image search: [Google]
1469870392153.jpg
10KB, 250x208px
>>51613875
>no divided we stand
Confirmed for having never played Wc3 dota
>>
>>51607162
I like how they take modern scientific principles and translate them into a renaissance fantasy setting. Shit like how Enigma represent Gravity, KotL is weak nuclear force, CK is strong nuclear force, Pheonix is a sentient spark of a star, etc.
>>
>>51639133
>no one gives a shit about dota lore except for people who do
So just like every other franchise then?
>>
>>51640006
Holy shit it was in reply to someone who said nothing in Dota is original.

I was saying Divided We Stand is original and Wc3 didn't have it you godda m illiterate.
>>
>>51607162

Take WHFB, and put it through a noodle strainer. You get Warcraft. Strain it some more, and you get League of Legends and Clash of Clans. Wring it out all the way, and that's how you end up with Do2a.
>>
>>51640403
So what is LOTR?
>>
>>51640129
>>51616900
>>51617025
Aside from a single line each, does this actually hold water? I don't get it.
>>
File: HonBattle1920.jpg (173KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
HonBattle1920.jpg
173KB, 1600x1000px
Best moba lore, coming through!
>>
File: 1482275394671.png (443KB, 1000x881px) Image search: [Google]
1482275394671.png
443KB, 1000x881px
I treat the lore in Dota Iike the way it's done in dark souls: hidden and out of the way. You need to prove it together yourself and not expect to be spoonfed

It has some very interesting lore bits (fundamentals, demons, various non humanoid life forms). Also unlike league, not everyone is a human with abs and a great ass. Most of the characters in the game arent very human at all.

Also, every single charter can be considered evil in one way or another. All of them have a dark history.

>>51639133
>Lion's icon
Holy shit that's old

>>51638945
Stop opening old wounds
>>
>>51640528

In spite of being itself something that pops up when one thinks of "Generic Fantasy", LOTR has almost nothing to do with the modern conception of generic fantasy as popularized by Warcraft. If anything, Warhammer began as a derivative of Conan transplanted to a later time period mixed with Arthurian legends, and even some influences of later works like A Yankee in King Arthur's Court.
>>
>>51640628
I actually really like that a lot of characters in Dota 2 are not pretty. Sure, it has waifus and husbandos, but then it has straight up ugly or nonpretty characters like medusa, broodmother, spectre, etc.
>>
>>51641159
So everything is strained from something else.
>>
>>51636314
Who is the monkey elephnat?
>>
>>51641781
>Spectre
>nonpretty
Fuck you
>>
>>51641814
It was just an idea for a silly player hero with a mundane backstory that equals say a God of War or something due to Dota shenanigans.
>>
File: 2272.png (73KB, 950x450px) Image search: [Google]
2272.png
73KB, 950x450px
>>51641781
>medusa
>not pretty
Fuck you
>>
>>51630894
Can you actually kill yourself? For not giving a shit about the game when the entire point is to give a shit and get better while not ruining the game for everyone else involved by being a piece of shit? If you say you don't care what the other people think, then why are you playing a game where your skill is a direct factor in (yours and everyone else's) enjoyment?
>>
>>51641903
>>51642091
Well I walked right into that one, figured it would have been too big a bait if I had said Wyvern
>>
>>51642128

If he has 200 mmr he will never meet anyone but other astoundingly bad players, why are you raging like it means something to you unless you're 200 mmr yourself?
>>
>>51639133
>Batrider
>Finally, reaching adulthood, with nothing but a rope and alcohol, he entered the batcave alone

First off I had to pretend I'm coughing.
Second, this had been a joke since the old DotA forums, and this made me nostalgic.
>>
File: fAUOr2c[1].png (174KB, 540x695px) Image search: [Google]
fAUOr2c[1].png
174KB, 540x695px
>>51642194
Because:
1. He is not the only one with that mindset
2. I had still been matched with people like him that cost me MMR at ~2k (inb4 if ur gud you can carry yourself out of low MMR despite constantly being matched with asswipes like this)
3. What you said doesn't address my point anyway. People like that guy exist outside of 3-digit MMR, and are still correspondingly dipshits ruining the game for other people.
>>
File: 13.jpg (608KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
608KB, 2048x1536px
>>51629368

Moneymakers like Dota and CS don't require a story but they could make more money with the story. One would think that'd be incentive
>>
>>51639133
>morphling is basically The Thing
>>
File: 1437415732440.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1437415732440.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>51640224
>whatever helps you sleep at night, sweety
>>
>>51639133
Best hero lore is Ogre Magi. You can't fault this.
>>
File: 1423668133617.png (343KB, 1470x314px) Image search: [Google]
1423668133617.png
343KB, 1470x314px
>>51642712
>>
>>51642644
>being 2k mmr
>complaining about other people being bad

Dude, just stop, it's a game, you're going to keep losing if you tilt over every bad player
>>
>>51639111

I feel obliged to defend the game because my brother works on it.

There is in fact a ton of lore, and it's pretty good:
http://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/

They're really making a setting and paving the way for a universe to make other games in.
>>
>>51643852
>My brother works for RITO
they keep nerfing everything every patch, soon all the abilities weill be doing 1 damage
its fucking stupid, i fucking hate riot, not just because i suck at the game, but they cant balance for shit.

sure there's bugs here and there sometimes, that gets fixed, but fuck me have you seen the new Warwick rework, this shit is seriously hilariously bad. he got no damage aside from his ultimate and his one thing he's good at is killing almost dead players. assassins fucking suck because they're the only chmaps capable of chunking people except not really
Tanks are garbage with almost garbage CC.

i wish i could go on but my rage at riot is making me unable to articulate my anger, its that bad, the game is garbage because reasons
>>
>>51643852
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2690974&page=6#post30338278

Keep in mind that he was not disciplined for this comment, thus riot, and by extension your brother, endorse mockery of the disabled.
>>
>>51644064
>>51644099

He doesn't do anything with Balance guys and he's only worked for them since last year.

He does art and most of his stuff isn't even out yet. He's working on cinematics mostly. Think like Amumu the Sad Mummy song with art and the Shadow Isles trailer and stuff.

https://rembertmontald.carbonmade.com/
>>
>>51627093
>timbersaw
>anything but total shit
Fuck you and your shitty worldview
>>
>>51643852
I keep hearing the lore is good, but never concret examples.
I mean sure some stuff isn't half bad, but with so many people on the same project that was bound to happen.
Still the majority is either overused, crap, horribly executed or all of the above.
>>
>>51642712
Is he the strongest Dota 2 hero? I mean he literally fucked all of reality in a battle with 1 sentence.
>>
>>51643852
>Institue of War is why the game is a thing
>Retcon it out because too lazy to write it away
>Too lazy to change the reason for why everything is how it is
>Retcon some characters that were somewhat interesting into bland generic shit
10/10
>>
>>51644899
this
>>
>>51644927
Also retconning other characters just to fit the current lore event instead of just expanding their story.
>>
>>51644690
>http://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/

For me it's mostly the way they're working through it, every location and character home to place them in the world and to flesh out these locations.

Most recently they've really made Piltover and Zaun an actual place you can run a game in if you'd like with a ton of stories and side-stories and conflicts to explore.

The Progress day story gives you a good feel for the city. So I'd say that's a concrete example.
http://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/region/piltover/
>>
>>51644971
>>51644927
>>51644899

Still miles better than Dota though. But that's not saying much.
>>
>>51645106
Not as a whole. Dota may not have good lore, but they don't change it for the worse and they have character interactions that make sense. LoL's "lore team" proved themselves to be incompetent already and aren't addressing the problems their lore has.

Dota doesn't pretend to have good lore. Legend's does.
>>
>>51645174

Saying "well yeah our lore is shit and we don't care about it" doesn't mean their lore is better or more consistent.

Just means they didn't put much effort into it.

Whereas league does put in effort, or have recently been trying to put in effort. Sure it's not that amazing yet and the work put to good results ratio is low. There is actual lore though, there are cities to learn about, lands with customs to learn about, character interactions that change gameplay (Graves new shotgun, Gangplank's rework) etc.
>>
>>51645337
Graves got a line for Nocturne before TF.

Also the game still doesn't even exists. There is no League, just Legends.
>>
>>51645036
the fact that they make there lore more accessible doesn't make it better quiet the contrary. it just shows how little they care about there own lore in the actual game.
>>
>>51629256
>prisoners of SUPER HELL are tormented by reflections of their soul for eternity
>TB's reflection was all 'shit dude, chill the fuck out'
>>
>>51645036
That stuff is actually pretty cool. Good on them.
>>
>>51645559
>2edgy4hisownreflection
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.