[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 380
Thread images: 30

File: 1483700191029.jpg (70KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
1483700191029.jpg
70KB, 800x640px
>New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerers!
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/sorcerer
Be sure to fill out the survey for rogues and rangers, too.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What makes your setting unique, and what refluffs turned out the best for it?
>>
> What makes your setting unique

If the shitty homebrew for 5e is any clue, it's races. Races have been a crutch for shitty worldbuilding since 3.5, and 5e is more of the same crap. Instead of creating interesting mechanics or new classes or new feats, these fuckwits choose to create new races. Why? New races represent a failure in roleplaying. They are you essentially saying "the standard elf dwarf orc shit isn't SPECIAL enough for me so I am going to make not!elves and play one of those instead."

Go fuck yourself,

Once again, go fuck yourself.

Most of the settings /tg/ likes, are shit. Most of the settings /tg/ creates, are shit. Why? Because /tg/ thinks homebrew races are good when in reality they are just distracting autism. /tg/ fetishizes originality without realizing that just because you made a world that is Muslim orcs on mars with elements of 1930s fascism, doesn't mean anyone gives a fuck no matter how original it is because your setting is convoluted and makes no fucking sense. That's why the standard races are fine. Everyone knows them. Make an interesting setting, not more fucking races.

> what refluffs turned out the best for it?

Yeah it's gonna be more "lmao well in THIS setting orcs are the GOOD GUYS and are MERCHANTS whereas elves are DARK and they enslave kobolds..."

YAWN

God fucking damn, redistributing racial roles does not an interesting setting make. Just because 90% of what /tg/ plays is garbage, does not excuse the fact that it is garbage. I'd rather play generic basic-ass fantasy over and over, and at least feel like I have a grip on the world, and feel some sense of versimilitude, than to suck frantically at the malformed cock of /tg/'s latest favorite setting that might be a floating submachine orbiting Venus but it's fucking retarded and adds no actual value to play besides a bunch of adjectives.
>>
In my setting I've had the known world be confined to a specific island continent for millennia, until recently (about 150 years before campaign start date) a ship thought lost at sea found not!Americas littered with ancient ruins, violent natives, and powerful (relatively speaking) magic items.

So take the growing lack of farmland problem of old world Europe, add in a heretofore unknown amount of farmable, livable land, AND untold riches and items thought to be found only in myth and legend?

Sounds like a recipe for adventure to me.
>>
>>51603866
You gotta chill. Stop going full autist.
>>
>that one rogue that got tired of the campaign, volunteered to be first watch and then slit everyone's throat before killing himself
>>
File: 736543.png (495KB, 843x403px) Image search: [Google]
736543.png
495KB, 843x403px
What would you do to fix Horde of the Tiamat Rise Queen?
>>
I'm going to run an urban game, never run one in a system that wasn't extremely rules light. Any tips on preparing? I am leaning towards sandbox and know of some helpful stuff like donjon and a couple worldbuilding guides but have no experience implementing some of the optional rules.

How does the loyalty mechanic for npcs/hirelings actually work out in games, has anyone tried it? How about insanity? Also looking for some guidance running chase sequences.
>>
>>51603806
Not necessarily "unique" in that it's largely based off of a real world place and time period, but I've never heard of anyone else doing it.

It's set in 1500s southeast Asia, a time period where White mercenaries and merchants were becoming more common and warfare was shifting to gunpowder weapons. Players are visitors to not-Siam, getting caught up in the underground opium business.
>>
>>51604370
not run it at all
>>
>>51603806
I never run unique settings. There's nothing new under the sun and execution pays much larger dividends than anything in the fluff. Most of my improvements have come in the machinery of running the game rather than anything in the story.
>>
>>51603806
Mystic take 3 fucking when?
>>
>>51604453
after the wizard UA which is after the Warlock UA. (unless they combine them)
>>
>>51603870
Reminds me of Dishonored, where all civilization is on one fairly small isle, and all there's a very large continent (essentially Pangaea) where anybody who goes, comes back insane, or doesn't come back.
>>
>>51604453
When they've finally been convinced that they can make the same cash money off of Eberron or Dark Sun that they're already making by rehashing Faerûn after Faerûn after Faerûn
>>
>>51604370
Copy all the text in it
Paste it into here: textmechanic.com/text-tools/basic-text-tools/sort-text-lines/
Start from the bottom and work your way up with lines that grab you.
Build from there.
>>
So what stats would I need to make an effective GFB sorcerer/fighter, and am I better off using the stat bumps for stats or feats?
>>
>>51603806

Sorcerer UA reactions? I'm a BIG fan of the Sea Sorcerer personally. I love the flavor of cursing people with your magic.
>>
I don't try for unique, but my settings are built from the bottom up through the mashing of random ideas and through play.

Two I really want to run through is a sort of campaign that's like Dark Sun but underwater.
>>
>>51604742
I actually found sea to be the worst of the four. Favored soul and Phoenix are great though I'd rather the lolrandumb parts of Phoenix be scrapped.
>>
So does favored soul get the cleric spells in addition to their sorcerer spells or do they have to trade a normal spell slot for a new shinny cleric one?
>>
> What makes your setting unique
ehhh, it's eberron but without the old gods, the lore is that Soth fucked up the gods (bahamut, colleron, etc) so people could be free, and a party restore that by becoming the new gods, after that the actual party lives in that world, where the paladin can visit the wife of his god for advice and the like

> what refluffs turned out the best for it?
The 'kingdom' of tieflings went down to a republic that hates all kind of divine magic/deity and they killed Asmodeus

>>51603866
>Most of the settings /tg/ likes, are shit. Most of the settings /tg/ creates, are shit. Why? Because /tg/ thinks homebrew races are good when in reality they are just distracting autism. /tg/ fetishizes originality without realizing that just because you made a world that is Muslim orcs on mars with elements of 1930s fascism, doesn't mean anyone gives a fuck no matter how original it is because your setting is convoluted and makes no fucking sense. That's why the standard races are fine. Everyone knows them. Make an interesting setting, not more fucking races.
besides the
>MY WIFE LEFT ME I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW
i kinda agree, homebrew races dont make a good setting, like having rat/elf/tiefling mashup just because your autismo/fursona wants it doesnt make the setting less or more good, just different
>>
>>51604764

I think I liked all of them. Earth is weird but not bad. I love Sea's curse mechanic. I don't know about OP or what not but the curse of the sea is an awesome ability flavorfully and mechanically imo.

I do like Phoenix, I just wish two of it's abilities weren't long rest only. They are very OP though.
>>
>>51604385
If it's a cityscape game, make sure that your players aren't hobos. Have them have a tie to the place either a relative or a shop or something.
>>
>>51604755
>Dark Sun but underwater.
im stealing this
>>
>>51604861
>>51604755
How is this going to play out?
Something like Waterworld?
>>
>>51604916
No.

Totally underwater, underwater races only in the ruins of a drowned world.
>>
>>51603806
The world is dying, the sun is failing; the effect is that the world is also rapidly cooling, and resources like fossil fuels and trees are rapidly diminishing.
This is also the time of massive monsters, who have evolved with massive fuel sources on their bodies.
>>
>>51603866
>Races have been a crutch for shitty worldbuilding since 3.5, and 5e is more of the same crap. Instead of creating interesting mechanics or new classes or new feats, these fuckwits choose to create new races. Why? New races represent a failure in roleplaying.
Nah it's been around way longer than that. And it's not just custom races, it's custom classes too.
>>
>>51604916
I'd do it more clockwork and deep under the sea with the surface having fallen to some unspeakable evil.
>>
File: 1486211950443.jpg (186KB, 900x1173px) Image search: [Google]
1486211950443.jpg
186KB, 900x1173px
>>51603806
>what makes my setting unique
I suppose my setting isn't the most unique, but I don't know of many people playing similar things so there's that.
It's a high racism, low magic, low fantasy fuckfest. My players know that if they roll an elf and get too cocky in a rural country town they're running the risk of getting lynched.
Magic is volatile and dangerous. Demons and other manifestations of the dark arts are constantly trying to destroy the civilized world. This has caused people to become suspicious of all mages.
All magic users are required to sign on with 'regulatory guilds' where their research and practice is watched. If they become too dangerous the Inquisition will track them down and burn them at the stake.
Various Human Kingdoms dot the landscape, waging massive and destructive wars against each other for minimal territorial gains.
The plotline is quite political, and my players really enjoy the setting.

tl;dr Grimdark fuckfest complete with racial tension, witch hunts and destructive wars.

>refluff
Since magic is supposed to be dangerous I have a magic system that brings in elements of the warhammer role-playing game magic systems. Every time someone casts a non-passive spell they have to roll a d20 to 'harness the magical energies'
1: Take a d8 of force damage, you fucked up
2-6: It misfires
7-15: It goes normally
16-19: Do an extra d8 of damage
20: double damage

I posted this system here before once and you guys didn't like it. I gave it a trail run and my players REALLY liked it. Now I know to ignore everything I see here.

also, don't bother telling me that if I want to play low magic/low fantasy that I should switch to another system.
I know.
I don't care.
>>
>>51605045
Reminded me that my Wild Magic Sorcerer wanted to surge more often so I changed his surge die from a d20 occasionally to a d8 every time he casts a non-cantrip.

The table loves it
>>
>>51604797

It looks like they get the option of choosing Cleric spells on the spells known list instead of Sorceror spells
>>
>>51605082
That's pretty dope. Reminds me of one time that I had a demon possess the sorcerer. During one combat the demon starting offering to give him more spell slots in return for giving the demon more traction and control over his body.

Gotta stomp those pesky casters somehow.
>>
I am really digging Stone Sorcerer and want to make one, but would like some inspiration. So tell me a story about your Sorcerer's origin, how they got their powers and their call to adventuring life.
>>
File: foxboy shaman.png (1MB, 1000x1359px) Image search: [Google]
foxboy shaman.png
1MB, 1000x1359px
I can now play an eternally youthful sorcerer who charms people with their youthfulness?

Great!

When can we have a kitsune race in 5e next?
>>
>>51605175
>>51600178
>>
>>51605191
lol
>>
Two-handed weapon or SnB for stone sorcerer?

War caster feat tax suck but I do want to play SnB gish.
>>
>>51605218
I'd say SnB since Sorcerer has d6 hit die and really needs as much AC as possible so they don't take damage as often
>>
File: 1476744310965.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1476744310965.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
I'm making a table to roll on with a bunch of random rooms for an upcoming dungeon, and one of the rooms in it just has a bunch of portals that go to different places.

Looking for ideas for places the portals might spit them out. Game takes place in the Realms, around Waterdeep mostly.

So far my list consists of Skullport, the Yawning Portal, a demiplane containing a bunch of treasure, the City of Brass, the bottom of the ocean, Neverwinter, and various other rooms in the dungeon.
>>
What are the best disable spells for a bard who doesn't want violence and wants to Macross it up with songs?
>>
>>51605234
But if you put ASI in CON instead of war caster, you would get more hp (at the cost of 1 lower ac).

Assuming you are not variant human and get the best of both world, as always.
>>
>>51605235
The innermost depths of Carceri
A platform on an alien world surrounded by a dozen more portals
Al Qadim
Mystara
A demiplane full of chocolate
>>
>>51603806
Nothing is particularly unique.

I dropped a number of spells that break the rarity of magic I expect.

Racewise I essentially have planetouched be the standin for humans (Air genasi are Europe/India/Persia, Water genasi are the far east, Earth genasi are native americans and some of the few linked steppe peoples who stayed behind, Fire genasi do double duty for the middle east and subsaharan africa since I didn't feel like using tiefling and aasimar too much - although I'm still considering using them both at once for semitic cultures and keeping fire for subsaharan africa period). I'm using goblinoids for a few groups, including the not!romans (except they're far from the empire, or an empire at all at this point).

It's the classical period, except with smaller empires. There are strong, obvious hints of a significantly more advanced civilization collapsing, but it's not all out Darksun.
>>
>>51605235
Don't forget Sigil, the City of Doors.

Also Undermountain.
The Far Realm.
Barovia.
A god's massive corpse on the Astral Plane.
>>
>>51603806
No humans and draws inspiration from the Feywild and Lorwyn.

It's very Grimbright and pretty fun to design adventures for.
>>
>>51605293
>>51605319
Oh shit dudes, those are some good ideas. Definitely gonna put in Sigil and a demiplane full of chocolate.
>>
>>51603866
>Complains about how everyone likes bad settings
>Fails to provide an example of a good setting

You typed out a whole lot just to say, "Stop liking what I don't like!".
>>
>>51605270
Since bard, you know 4 first level spells at level 1.

Level 1
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Sleep
Charm Person

Level 2
Calm Emotion
Blindness/Deafness
Zone of Truth

Level 3
Fear
Hypnotic Pattern
Bestow Curse

After that I am out of my element, none of my bards survived past getting 3rd level spells.
>>
>>51605427
That post started out as a list of which spells to take at each level, but then i got lazy, so ignore that first line of text.
>>
>>51605394
Waterdeep is built on top of Undermountain, you should grab some of its supplements (Undermountain supplements) and mine them for ideas.
>>
>>51604727
Hi, Zak!
>>
>>51603866
I did a bunch of stuff with Races to make my setting unique. Or maybe i did stuff with races because of how I oriented my setting.

Literally all the races in my setting that arent Haflings or Humans are Aliens from other planets that are connected to !Earth via portals opened by magical humans hundreds of years ago. I included every released option for 5e in my setting cause i didn't want to be a wang-rod and place restrictions on my players.

That said, i am running a sort of 80s fantasy setting, in the vain of Flash Gordon, so having lots of weird craziness is not out of the question.

I also changed some of the races, for instance, Dragonborn are not a biological race, they are created. Either you Slay a dragon and become a dragonborn by performing a ritual with a dragon's heart, or you gain the blessing of a dragon and they turn you into a Dragonborn.
I call them Dragon Slayers and Dragon Stewards respectively. I even added a bonus feature to their Breath Weapons.

>Slayer
Anyone attacking a target hit with your breath weapon has advantage on said attack untill the end of your next turn.
>Steward
Any target hit with your breath weapon has disadvantage on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

How does a level 0 character slay a dragon to become a Dragonborn? no idea, that's up to the player to figure out. I always suggest the "You were a noble and your family hired some adventurers to kill a dragon for you to gain this sign of nobility"

Yuan-ti are Snake Vampires from a Dinosaur Planet! :D
>>
File: snake.jpg (235KB, 1200x481px) Image search: [Google]
snake.jpg
235KB, 1200x481px
>>51605175
There's one on the DM's Guild that's pretty decent.
>"But I want an official option!"
No, shoo. Beg your DM to let you be a kitsune and let me know because if he allows that then there's a good chance he'd also allow me to play a mousefolk using refluffed goblin racial traits.
>>
>>51605234
d6 + 1 really due to one of their features.
>>
>>51605447
I definitely will, I intend on placing this room within a small corner of Undermountain.
>>
File: BraveBraveSirGarrick.jpg (20KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
BraveBraveSirGarrick.jpg
20KB, 210x330px
I came from playing the Baldur's Gate series where your bard played a song as his action to give the entire party a buff.
I was a bit disappointed to play tabletop for the first time and see Bards no longer do this, they just hand out inspiration die to individual characters but have become full casters themselves.
Am I the only one who likes the idea of old school Bards better?
>>
>>51605563
How jealous would you be if I said we once ran a game through to level 10 in a mousefolk setting?

Entire game was in one town and the BBEG was a house cat.
>>
>>51605610
The elusive d7
>>
>>51605637
Not particularly, but it sounds pretty damn cool.
>>
Re-reading smite spells. Such as the ones that Stone Sorcerer gets access to.
I always assumed they ended when you used an attack that hit and effect went off.
But it says nothing like that.
So...for as long as I maintain concentration, all my attacks do the extra Smite effect, correct?
>>
>>51605479
Its a rather interesting method to be sure.
>>
>>51605630
Every time someone at my table played a bard, their music was only about half as useful as intended because everyone would constantly forget to take the buffs into account. Not a fan.
>>
>>51605637
I would like to be a Stag Beetle Samurai if possible.
>>
>>51605649
d6+1 health is actually roughly equivalent to a d8.
>>
>>51605658
No, your first assumption was correct. The effect only triggers on the first hit while you maintain concentration. Some like Wrathful Smite have another rider that you need to maintain concentration to persist.
>>
>>51605610
Don't forget to go hill dwarf and take the tough feat for 1d6+7 if you have 16 con.
>>
>>51605630
Not the only one, but as long as bards are word warriors I personally don't care about the nuance.
>>
>>51605712
Unfortunately i think Warcaster takes priority as a feat over Tough for Stone Sorc. Definitely worth it at level 8 though. Or if your DM gives you a bonus feat at level 1, which is apparently a thing that happens.

Essentially gives you Barb HP
>>
>>51605688
Probably for the best. I would've only used one spell for a whole combat if it were the case.

Which Metamagic Options do you guys recommend of a Stone Sorc? Twinned spell doesn't seem as...useful when it seems oriented to take spells with the Self range.
>>
I'm running Storm King's Thunder for my group, and they're having a great time with it. However, they just got a conch of Hekaton...before they ever went to the Eye of the All Father. Basically, they found Moog really sympathetic, and went after Guh before anything else. According to the adventure, the oracle should tell them to go to Hekaton's court, where they should be level 10, but they JUST hit level 7. Plus, they've skipped like half the adventure. What's the best way to handle this?
>>
>>51605901
>What's the best way to handle this?
Marshmallows.
>>
>>51605772
Twinned Haste or Polymorph is still the king.

Subtle counterspell if your DM is that DM.
>>
File: 1425592497231.jpg (635KB, 770x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1425592497231.jpg
635KB, 770x1100px
>>51603806
>What makes your setting unique, and what refluffs turned out the best for it?
Actually, my main setting works like Russian Fantasy Forgotten Realms, so my players could use any material without issue. I just worked to justify or explain away all the stupid shit.

Setting features recent apocalypses, so there's no infrastructure to maintain Wizard schools, which cuts down on the general level of magic items players are used to, and the standard fluff for other casters can be made to imply they're very rare (Druids are a secretive cult, Clerics are hand-picked by Gods, Sorcerers are born, etc). Only Warlocks are common, and only then because getting their power is relatively easy.

Most unique thing is that I actually backed up the usual Necromancy ban with a reason beyond "muh evil, muh body rights". Necromantic energy is pure Entropy. The use of it literally starts speeding up the heat death of the universe. The universe will literally start disgorging Undead forms of Gods who fell in battle until all creation dies screaming into the void.

A Necromancer is the easiest way to convince a Cleric and a Demon-Cultist to team up. Hell, the Archfiends specifically leave Anti-Undead Religious Orders alone, as a courtesy.
>>
File: Outer Tryndameria.jpg (550KB, 1044x788px) Image search: [Google]
Outer Tryndameria.jpg
550KB, 1044x788px
>>51603806

I guess what makes my setting unique is that the end of the world started 200 years ago in the center of a super continent (blood war spilled out of a reality tear in full force after some nobles tried transcend) and it's starting catching up with the rest of the planet.

The TL;DR is that Cosmic forces tug and pull at the material plane of Tera to see if it gets pulled into the negative planes or the positive planes. Elder Gods from past timelines are all judging the planet to see where it'll end up, as Young Gods and The Ancients seek to sway and push the balance of poor planet in all their own favors to try and tip the scales and have the planet end up in haven or hell.

All the PC's are slowly becoming privy to the magnitude of the situation through hints and plot points throughout the last campaign I ran. I'm about to begin Act 2 and I can't wait to delve deeper into the setting and story.
>>
>>51605937
What makes subtle counterspell so great and what is a that DM in this example?
>>
>>51605620
Very nice.
>>
>>51606042
Not that guy, but subtle counterspell can't be seen... so it can't be countered. Since spellcasters can counter counterspells it is the surefire way to cut the counterspell ping pong short in your favor
>>
Is the Favored Soul as broken as it sounds on paper?
>>
>>51606092
New favored soul? Broken?? What?
>>
>>51605934
What?

I'm leaning towards having a band of hill giants come for revenge and take it back, but that feels shifty, and I don't want to take something back because I didn't want to cause a TPK and use the full power of the encounter
>>
>>51604370
http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2014/09/on-hoard-of-dragon-queen-episode-i.html
These guys have a great guide for improving the ToG campaign, I used it when I ran it a while back when it came out
>>
>>51606073
>>51606073
Does subtle really make spells without M components completely concealed? Do people know who attempted to charm them specifically if they fail their save?
>>
>>51603866
I pity your playgroup. you've never met anyone creative enough to make an interesting high fantasy setting or race if you think this is true.
>>
>>51606150
It gets rid of verbal and somantic components, which means you can be bound up, gagged, and otherwise immobilized, but if you see the enemy spellcaster getting ready to throw a Fireball, you can Subtle Counterspell it by giving them a really loud Peanuts' adult offscreen WOMP WOMP noise.
>>
>>51606042
They wouldn't know.
>>
Ice Knife + Twinned Spell

>1d10 to each on hits
>hit or miss, two 15ft AOEs deal 2d6 on a failed DEX save
>overlap for more carnage on a smaller group

Pretty decent crowd killer at first level.
>>
>>51605901
Come up with a reason for one of them to go after one of the other chiefs first.

Or have them be at one of the cities and have it get attacked and just run one of those chapters through.
>>
>>51606265
You can't twin ice knife.
>>
>>51605563
animal folk are highly underrated as staple civilizations in ttg settings, imo. not only is there flavor options all over the place, and ways to easily build interesting histories and dynamics, but players have a lot of fun putting together things like an alligator man, a jumping spider man, an elephant man, a snail man. you get some interesting features, things like limbs/tentacles/wings/natural weapons, campaigns like that are never boring.

>>51605676
DMed a campaign where someone played a stag beetle champion for a while. having four arms is p strong.
>>
>>51606325
It targets one creature.
>>
>>51605630
As a DM, I prefer the current approach since if you have both a Bard and a Paladin in the party the way those two auras interact will make running combat smoothly a nightmare.
>>
>>51606346
The AoE can target multiple creatures, meaning the spell can target multiple creatures, meaning you can't twin it.
>>
>>51606034
>Russian Fantasy Forgotten Realms
Please tell me your powerful resident lich is Koschei.
>>
>>51606380
See this post >>51606382

I never found a proper time to introduce a Koshei, because I'd like to do him justice. I'm planning on ripping off Hellboy for a lot of it. Either that, or making one of the PCs into him if they die and are in a position that Not!Baba Yaga will make them undead.
>>
You do not have disadvantage on attack rolls with a crossbow while prone.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51606365
Ice Knife should be twinnable, only has one target specified by the spell. The AoE is a byproduct.
>>
Is it just me or are the Orcs in Volos Monster Guide kinda gimped?

I'm still kinda new to D&D, but they don't seem all that great compared to what I saw they were like in 3.5e.
>>
>>51606616
The ranged spell attack you make with it is also a byproduct of the spell. It doesn't matter the order it happens, the spell can still target more than one creature and thus cannot be twinned.
>>
>>51606642
It's not targeting the other creatures though, they're just in the way
>>
>>51606642
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/01/twin-splash-dd-errata/
lol
>>
>>51606642
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/01/twin-splash-dd-errata/
Twinned only doesn't work if spells specify multiple targets or no targets
>>
>>51606629
They really blow but aren't quite completely useless. Definitely outclassed by Half-Orcs
>>
File: 5e official rulings.png (13KB, 376x146px) Image search: [Google]
5e official rulings.png
13KB, 376x146px
>>51606679
>>51606686
>Mearls
>the guy who often mistakes 5e rules with past edition rules
>the dude who purposely ignores the rules whenever possible in his own games
>the guy who is by WotC's official word not the person to listen to for RAI rulings
>>
>>51606676
>>51606679
>>51606686
My DM better get ready to make a lot of DEX saves.
>tfw he'll never throw another group at us
>>
Have any of you guys had Flat Initiative in your games?

How was it?
>>
>>51606092
Access to all cleric spells, which is either the most powerful or second most powerful spell list, as well as 1 hp per level, and a once per short/long rest 2d4 buff to one save or attack is pretty strong at level 1. I'd say it's the most powerful sorc subclass released so far for that alone. The 6th level is amazing for out of combat roleplay, the 14th level is kinda dull but decently strong, and the 18th level is a pretty amazing heal coupled with access to all of the cleric's healing potential. I haven't seen it in action, but it looks to be super strong.
>>
>>51606705
I mean yeah, anything is technically viable.

But you'd think they'd be stronger than that, being full Orcs and all, and not just being able to carry more stuff.
>>
>>51606744
Which one's that again?
>>
Tell me about when your party defeated a monster way above your weight class.
>>
>>51606779
Never.
>>
>>51606758
For a race with negative racial mods you'd figure their positive bonuses would be higher or something.
>>
>>51606710
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/609233888523649024

Ok dude here's crawford's take. Scroll up a bit for his initial tweet, but notice how fireball and ice knife's wordings are completely different.

Honestly, it could be just be shitty formatting in Elemental Evil but RAW should be twinnable.
>>
>>51606769
Where you don't roll initiative, you go by initiative score.
>>
>>51606803
How do you break a tie?
>>
How bad does pally need Dex?
>>
>>51606817
By rolling, presumably.

I don't full remember the rule.
>>
>>51606794
I would have at least given them more strength. Maybe better traits too. Half-orcs hitting harder than their full blooded relatives just seems silly to me.
>>
>>51606838
Ah, makes sense
>>
>>51606801
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/5ozpwj/jeremy_crawford_on_targeting_spells/

Check the rundown on Crawford's explanation of target on the Dragontalk podcast.

>Target means, in game, what it means in english. So target means: someone or something is chosen to be affected by the ability.
>Area Spells: like fireball, target not creatures or objects, but a point in space, then expand to include creatures which the spells then refers to 'targets' (here it is "something to be affected" even though before it was used as "something chosen to be affected") because choice is not necessarily a factor, i.e. you can hit a creature with spells like this without intending to
>>
>>51606744

Flat init sounds troublesome if you always have someone going last, they'll probably feel like they can contribute less - which depends on your group I guess. If it's an issue of the time it takes to have everyone roll and start a combat, have them roll a few initiatives beforehand and jot them down before the game starts.

When I was newer to DMing I used a deck of cards, everyone drew a card and went in order of highest to lowest, with flat init settling ties. worked pretty well, everyone laid their cards out so they knew if they were going next without me telling them. Only issue was the guy who took the +initiative feat, but i just let him have advantage on the card draw and he seemed happy with that.
>>
>>51606838
Then why not just roll for Initiative?
>>
>>51606779
Our party had to fight a morkoth among other things, and we tried to focus it down first because you always geek the mage. At point it tried to both grapple my artificer to finish me off along with run away through water tunnels. Too bad the thing made the mistake of grappling a gunsmith with blast wave.

Managed to kill it, but I was also at 1hp and 80ft underwater.
>>
>>51606551
I don't see why not, your more likely to have terrain features be cover, but i'd be fine with it.

Honestly, i'd guess the only reason it ISN'T like that is complexity, crossbows already have Loading, which throws people off.
>>
>>51606886
Time and effort.
>>
>>51606922
But if one or more character have the same Dex then you're just rolling anyway. It saves no time at all.
>>
>>51606871
Hmm neat, thanks anon, much more recent and informative.
>>
>>51606948
That's not as common as you're implying.

How about passive perception score to break ties?
>>
>>51606977
You obviously don't play with people who try to jack that as high as possible.
>>
>>51607004
So everyone you play with has the same DEX and WIS?

I think that's the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>51607033
Possibly. It's just an exception I have to live with. ;_;
>>
>>51603806
Anyone have some tips running Storm King's Thunder? The chapter where they run around the North is boring me and my players to tears, so I'm worried that the "raiding barbarian mounds" is going to suck.

What could I replace that part with to make it less of a fetch questy grind?
>>
>>51603806
Would it be unfair of me to throw a wererat against my level 3 party (a ruid, a rogue, and a barbarian) who don't have magic weapons and expect them to use work arounds like lightning torches or using the enviroment to get around the Wererat's immunities?
>>
Any good builds for an Eldritch Knight Archer?
>>
>>51607134
High Dex, high Con, okay Intelligence.

Teleport spam for days.
>>
>>51607141
Would it be better to use Mage Armor or where light/medium armor?
>>
>>51603806
I try to incorporate my fetishes subtly and never take the parties to the areas of the world they lie in.
Lycanthropy was a gift from the god of the hunt to make sure his chosen would be sufficiently badass to join him in his afterlife (those who aren't are turned to monstrosities and loosed upon the world to make up for their lack of killing)
Phyrexians invaded and the races barely survived by bombing their own cities and dropping several magical nukes into the portal along with adventurers on a suicide mission.
Wars have largely been replaced by small band skirmishes and kingdoms using adventuring parties to forward their goals.
Finally there's a series of vaults modeled after the From the Vault sets hidden across the land.
>>
>>51607219
Light.
>>
>>51607124
Is the party fresh off a rest or in the middle of a series of encounters? Are they aware of what a were-creature is, let alone a were-rat? Can this were-rat be reasoned with? Will this were-rat fight until death or fight a bit then shift to a rat and then run away?

Do you want the party do die?
>>
>>51607275
Is there any armor that gives 13+dex?
>>
>>51607303
Your choices are Studded Leather for 12+Dex or jumping up to medium armor for 12 to 15 + Dex (max of 2)
>>
>>51607303
Lizardfolk or dragon sorc 1
>>
>>51607276
I'm going to do a few fights with hobo zombies, they should figure out he's a wererat before they reach the fight (as part of the adventure), he can be reasoned with to let them go but he's not giving up on his plan of infecting everyone in the city with lycanthropy, he will run if he's losing or surrender if he can't run.
I don't want to kill the party.
Basically he's been biting hobos and then draining their infected blood to mix in with potions so the battlefield will be riddled with silver needles the party would have access to.
>>
>>51603806
A couple months ago my friend offered to take over as DM for the group so he could run a 5e setting. Since I was familiar with DnD and had a better idea of building characters than the rest of the party I figured I would make a meme build to not overshadow everyone else. When I presented my "stupid idea" my dm thought it was a neat idea, as did the rest of the party. After changing my own campaign to 5e after frustrations with 3.5 being a nightmare for large groups I've learned that lucky wizard halfling diviner is not in fact the bad kind of meme build that I initially anticipated. Now his campaign is being resuscitated and in spite of my subtle attempts at letting someone else pick wizard or changing my character idea they say they want me to stick to it.

Is it really as broken as I've heard? I'd be fine to stick with it if I can just fly under the radar but otherwise I'm gonna have to come up with something good quickly.
>>
>>51607087
Just straight up destroy a town. The next town they were going to. shows just how much of a threat the giants are, and gives them a chance to play big damn heroes. Make the players rescue villagers from hill giant feed bags or the mines of the fire giants. The north is under siege, and the players can only get so much assistance from their groups. Maybe they have to make unseemly allies.
One of the recurring themes in STK is other evil creatures offering assistance. There's a small town ruled by wight lords somewhere in that chapter I added to, and the party had the option of letting it remain safe from giants and under undead rule. They decided not to let these cultists of Orcus help them save the world for some reason, looted their tomb, and told the townsfolk they'd request a garrison at the nearest town.
>>51607303
Mage Armor and Draconic Scales from being a dragon sorcerer both give 13+dex also.
>>
>>51607394
It'd be better if they see his were-ratiness before such a fight; that way they can better prepare for it since weapon resistance goes a long way, even if it's 3 v 1.
>>
File: 51VhXfmHGJL.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51VhXfmHGJL.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
I'm planning at being a DM at some point in the future (currently in a campaign and won't try it until that's done, but I like making plans, especially since I haven't DM'd 5e before) and I'm putting together some DM house rulings for my potential players.

Essentially, this is stuff where I've noticed while playing that it's dumb or vague and needs some minor tweaks, and that I'll make available to the players before the campaign starts so they can incorporate it.

So far, it's only tweaks to Warlock to fix Create Thrall for GOO patron, and some changes to make Bladelock viable. This is purely out of my own experience of playing a Warlock.

Does anyone here have any worthwhile suggestions for other "errata" I should look into including for other races or classes? This includes potential UA, Volo/DMHB PCs, etc. (will allow most of them subject to consultation with the player)
>>
>>51607500
The party is hired to figure out why the son of a new money business man killed himself and who drove him to by a shady man, inspection of the hands at the wake reveals he has rashes along his palms and questioning the guard or parents will reveal that he took his life with a silver kitchen knife.
>>
>>51604739
If you want to focus on GFB, paladin 2/ (any fire dragon)-sorc 11, then do whatever you like is pretty strong. Googlenit for details but it biold down to this:

You can metamagic twinned and quickened GFBs for a decent amount of attacks, using spellslots to fuel it or add divine smites whenever you please. As soon as you are far enoug in sorc you deal weapon+GFB+str+cha+smite damage to the primary and iirc 5+Cha to the secondary up to 3 times per turn. You also keep some utility in being able to cast whatever you have.
Again, google it for stat spread and recommended feats.

If you wanna go fighter sorc i can imagine focusing on buff spells as sorc to boost your fighterness, having GFB as an option. I suck at builds so thats all i can think of now...
>>
Any good sources of medieval irearms?
>>
>>51607530
The ranger UA is pretty good so far according to the ranger in my group.
>>
>>51607561
*firearms
>>
>>51606749
Well that's all nice but why not just play a cleric?
>>
File: confusedwizard.jpg (46KB, 435x571px) Image search: [Google]
confusedwizard.jpg
46KB, 435x571px
>>51607441
its one of those builds that SEEMS strong at the table because of the nature of rerolling 1s and being able to insta guarantee someone fails their saving throw, but no its not broken broken, just good and fun. don't worry too much about it
>>
>>51607441
It really depends on your rolls. The lucky feat goes great with the lucky racial trait, but I don't think that's as important for a wizard. You likely don't use attack rolls as much as a martial would, and you'll likely have some spells that don't have an attack roll or saving throw, they just kinda work. So the amount of times these things actually come up is less often.

There's also the fact that it's wasted to have so many available rerolls if you have a shorter adventuring day. I'm playing the build right now, and even with only a +2 in int, I don't find myself using all the possible features very often.

It's good, but more just because all the options chosen are ridiculously versatile. It gets less powerful later on when enemies have multiple attacks and legendary resistance, so you're just burning through that instead of saying "lol u fail"
>>
>Remove eldritch blast
>Make all eldritch blast boosting invocations apply to one offensive cantrip of their choice, possibly limited by pact instead

Did I screw up?
>>
>>51607441
how you play is more important then what you play, even the most meme, gimmicky, or underpowered classes/stats can make great characters. If your group is cool with it, play it out yo! Tbh, concerning lucky halfling diviner, while most GM's will twitch upon seeing it, knowing how it can pull shenanigans, I think it does an excellent job as a support/control wizard, in that it doesn't steal the spotlight if played right. Usually you are using those rolls to help your buddies somehow, which meshes well with parties. For all the flak it gets in /5eg/, I honestly think most of that is for lulz and trolling.
>>
>>51607690
yes, you made warlocks worthless
>>
>>51605030
>custom classes
I HATE THIS SO MUCH.

Every custom class I've seen is some OP Mary Sue bullshit designed specifically to abuse some loophole in the game, or is unnecessarily convoluted.

You don't need a mechanical advantage for every aspect of your character. Just because it's an interest of your PC doesn't mean you need extra dice for it.
>>
>>51607707
>Agonizing and Repelling Mockery
>Agonizing and Repelling GFB
Really? At first thought it seemed okay

"One offensive cantrip of their choice" means from any list there.
>>
>>51605116
>stomp
Just sounds like a reasonable bargain to me.
>>
>>51607690
if you can use eldritch spear to make poison spray 300 feet then I guess it's okay, if you can use the invocations on one of the SCAG melee cantrips then you buffed bladelock a little.

Still dumb
>>
>>51607690
...Proooobably man. Force damage and hitting multiple targets is kinda the point.
Think of the Warlock to be the Fighter of the casters. Only now you nerfed his magic weapon to a likely more often resisted damage type (tho since u are the DM not as big a deal o'course).
Basically, eldritch blast works and scales similar to multiattack, only with other cantrips he can't hit multiple targets. Early levels it won't be a big deal, but down the road if you throw out a swarm of gobbos or something you'll see the pain.
(I personally give bladelocks their blade invos for free at the appropriate level, just because
>>
>>51605235
You need some silly ones too.
The entrance of the dungeon.
The entrance of the portal room.
Two feet back from where they were.
The ethereal plane, but the same physical location.
>>
>>51607718
keep in mind eldritch blast is the only multi attack cantrip in the game, meaning agonizing does charisma x eldritch blast beams.
>>
>>51607711
custom setting classes include such things as Darksun Templars (and spell-less bards), Ravenloft's Arcanists and Avengers in 2e, or just about every archetype in the SCAG for FR.
>>
Scourge or Protector Aasimar?
>>
>>51607711
>player shows me a homebrew class he wants to play
>it has the best features from monk + barbarian but buffed even more
>unarmored defense was base 13+stat+stat,
>you could make an extra attack while raging on top of a bonus unarmed like monks do
>I think you could use con as your melee stat
>etc
I don't understand what goes through peoples heads when they make this stuff.
>>
>>51607711
Idk, like, while there is a constant steam of shit for sure... I've seen some classes with features I've liked, that I wouldn't have thought of.
Regarding homebrew, what my group does is we bring it to whomever is DMing, they decide about how much they want to make it work, and usually the DM and the player molds whatever it is into something usable.
While I believe the amount of people producing utter shit without getting opinions on it is huge ( and I hate them) I do enjoy mining their creativity for my own projects and games.
>>
File: Catgirls.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Catgirls.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51607753
Do this instead
>>
>>51607779
Been awhile
>>
>>51607744
No, not custom setting classes, just the homebrewed generic ones.
Like every single homebrew in this. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Base_Classes
>>
>>51607767
Forgot to mention he prefaced it with saying he was going to nerf the abilities to be the same as the classes they were stolen from, and after doing that it was basically a barb/monk multiclass, so I don't know why he bothered but whatever.

>>51607768
That's a fair point, but usually it's the subraces and subclasses that are playable and easy to work in. The issue comes when someone thinks they need a whole new class to do what they're trying to do, I guess.
>>
>>51607767
Give em d6 hit die and no save proficiencies and I'd allow it. Then fuck am over constantly.
>>
File: fluff fight.jpg (194KB, 624x870px) Image search: [Google]
fluff fight.jpg
194KB, 624x870px
>>51607779
5e kitsune when?
>>
File: 1393272291049.gif (2MB, 324x317px) Image search: [Google]
1393272291049.gif
2MB, 324x317px
>>51607779
>>
>>51607808

Usually the ones I see that did those up are the ones inexperienced with the game who don't know there are more sane ways to build their character.
The other common type is the guy who autistically dug through everything, came up empty, and now shall have his super special character UA/SCAG/PHB be damned. Those guys usually have a decent grasp on the rules, but get so excited about their class they OVERLOAD features, forget to balance, add spells (WHY WOULD YOU ADD SPELLS TO THE GAME IN A CLASS DESCRIPTION) ect.

That said, it is fun to try your hand to on a whim.
Made pic related one night while bored in a hotel for shits and giggles. That is probably a third type actually, made random shit for fun, then can't be assed to finish it.
>>
>>51607711
The reason why they're so typically bad is that a creative person would be able to be creative with something rigid, and a good roleplayer would be able to play a role that's defined for them. It's people who are largely uncreative and shitty roleplayers that most often end up making custom classes/races.
>>
Is anything going to become horrifically broken if I combine Lifedrinker and Agonising Blast and make them available at the lower level?
>>
>>51607792
>Angelic Demonic Warrior

What chucklefuck thought of this masterpiece?
>>
>>51607961
yes
>>
>>51606821
You can survive without dex if you are wearing heavy armor.
>>
>>51608009
Why?
>>
>>51608029
Because it stacks with STR/DEX mod yo
>>
>>51603866
Someone is really triggered by the presence of multiple intelligent species in a fictional milieu?
>>
>>51607753
protector if using a wisdom class, scourge if not using a wisdom class, fallen if using a strength class

I love how aasimar make there be a good reason to run angel crossbreeding factories
>>
>>51608062
It does that at level 12 as well, though.

The way I see it:
Tomelock:
>higher utility
>more choice of spells
>upgrade offers even more spell choices

Chainlock:
>no risk to self if you're using your familiar
>free spell
>upgrades improve familiar and offer free spell

Bladelock:
>no real advantage over blaster Warlock
>no extra utility

I don't think it's a bad thing if Bladelock goes pure damage at an earlier stage at the cost of the utility the other pacts offer, no?
>>
>>51607718
You made warlocks worse at their job, being a ranged charisma martial.
>>
>>51603866

Dunno why you're hung up about races in D&D. You may as well be upset about magic or dungeons.

Additionally, a world being "interesting" is ... not a priority. At all. In any way. The only thing that is a priority is that there is, at a minimum, a single interesting location (the dungeon or other adventure site or sites that the campaign takes place in), and a handful of interesting characters (the PCs).

Too many faggots are hung up on nonsense that like fascinating sociopolitical ramifications of taxing adventurers, elaborate heraldry, new societies, cunning NPCs, brilliant plots, etc., are any more than 0.1% important.

You can run a fully compelling campaign that is just a dungeon somewhere amidst the black void. The human brain actually can't process more characters at once than could populate a small village or dungeon.
>>
>>51608129
nah nah, it does that at level 12 cuz there is a damage progression
I don't remember exactly each class, but round level 5 extra attack n cantrips get boosted.
Next boost is round 10ish. Keep in mind, all warlocks get eldritch blast so even if they are rockin the blade they still get upped. I think lifedrinker is one of the later ones, or maybe it is an early one of the level 15ish boosts? I don't remember.
At anyrate, the Bladelock get versatility, it can melee it up while the other two get the DIS vantage at that 5ft range. Bladelock is a threat at any range you dig? While bladelock needs its boosts, giving it early like that will make it outperform folks. +6 constant damageon top of your rolls at level 3 or whatever is pretty nuts on top of usual warlock shenanigans.
Imo best things for bladelock is just give them the blade invocations for free, when they become available. That way they get two more invos so they can diversify a bit, while still being threats up close and far away, which again, the other Locks ain't so hotnsweaty at yo
>>
How many nuclear druid would it take to kill Tiamat in 1 round?
>>
As a paladin, does using sword/shield reduce my damage too much in comparison with a greatweapon or polearm?
Also, does using a two handed weapon reduce my defenses too much compared to using a shield?
>>
>>51603866
Races are by far the easiest thing to homebrew mechanically, so they're unlikely to be broken.

The main difficulty is making good fluff.
>>
>>51607961
Multiclass abuse

Change it to 'You add your charisma modifier to damage instead of your STR/DEX mod' and we're fine.
>>
>>51608129
>I don't think it's a bad thing if a minor fun utility choice could be completely forsaken for a boring MORE DAMAGE WAAAGH option

>>51608273
'Just one.'
>>
>>51608483
Well, first I think you want to ask yourself a simple question: "what is my paladin's primary goal?" How soon do you expect to get, say, your 6th character level, which is IMO the most essential paladin ability, and how long do you expect the campaign to last after that? Do you expect to buy up a lot of feats? etc.
>>
>>51608218
>DIS vantage at that 5ft range

But how much value is negating that compared to all the spells the other options offer? I just don't see that Bladelock has enough advantages to make it worth it mechanically, especially compared to Tomelock.

It needs something to make it worthwhile at lower levels.

>>51608545
>minor fun
>gives Warlocks all them spell options
I'm not saying they should be forced to go "waaaagh more damage", but that's what Bladelock is designed to do, it just doesn't do it well.

>>51608526
What if I just dropped the Lifedrinker requirement to level 5 instead and made it free? That'd require a hefty 5 level dip. I don't think it's a bad thing that it's high damage considering Warlock doesn't have the same combat options other classes have, and they're pretty squishy.
>>
>>51608483
Why not both?

Quarterstaff+Shield?

Sword+Shield is without a doubt much worse than quarterstaff+shield, especially for multiclassing shillelagh shenanigans.
>>
>>51606723
In any case, the overlapping areas wouldn't have any doubled effect because it's the same spell at the same time and spells don't stack that way.
>>
>>51608581
Still a bit too strong if a fighter wants to take a 5 level dip.
A fighter with PAM could potentially get 5 attacks at level 11, and then might want to take a 5 level dip to get +5 on all attacks if they somehow get 20 charisma...

Well, you know what, I think it might actually sort of balance out.

Paladins would have to choose between shillelagh with 3 levels of warlock or the extra damage (Though it would be pretty scary to see an oathbreaker, god fordbid your DM allows it, with improved divine smite. +1d8 + CHA + CHA to every attack, with PAM and extra attack) ...
In any case I'd say it is actually fairly balanced, the only real fear is if somebody does some sort of stupid shit with sorcerer+warlock for bonus action green flame blades while adding undying light's bonus and...
But you shouldn't allow UA stupid dips and sorlock is stronger with eldritch blast anyway.

Yeah, alright, go ahead. I think it works out balance-wise, but just because bladelock is DESIGNED to be a piece of shit 'Hey, I could have been a fun utility option but no, I only exist to give MORE DAMAGE!' doesn't mean it should be a piece of shit 'MORE DAMAGE!' option.
>>
>>51608631
>>51608581
Oh, let me add something extra though -

Firstly, state that the bladelock cannot benefit from one of the features (extra attack or lifedrinker) if they are wearing medium or heavy armour (To avoid a single dip of fighter + warlock being more powerful than fighters or paladins AND being just as tough until level 11) and maybe add something on as a later level feature for pact of the blade.

And then actually add in some fucking utility already scrub.
>>
>>51608570
Well, it's actually my first time playing a rpg, so I can't properly judge those things.
I just don't want to be just a meat shield nor do I want to be a paladin that can't take some hits.
>>
How does STR: 8 DEX: 18 CON: 14 INT: 8 WIS: 10 CHA: 16 for a wood elf fighter (duelist) sorc (meta magic, multi class working as a spell blade focused on GFB sound?

DM is using pathfinder calculator and 20 point buy.
>>
Is the swashbuckler a decent archetype?
>>
>>51608703
It looks like someone who is going to get targeted by maze.
>>
>>51608703
>Duelist
You mean duelling fighting style, not some shit homebrew, right?

Overall I'd say 'Paladin does the same but better than fighter for this'.

>Pathfinder calculator
What, DM's mad that there isn't ridiculous stat bloat? If they want to encourage people to take feats instead of ASIs, they simply just need to hand out a free feat or two.
>>
>>51608723
>tfw your players almost always take a feat at 4
Feels good.
>>
>>51603806
An ancient wizard created Dragonborn, and all of them are irresistibly drawn to the idea of doing her bidding on a subconscious level
>>
>>51608738
If they're a fighter, ranger, paladin, fucked up bladelock or barbarian grabbing PAM/GWM/SS/CBM or a monk grabbing mobile or possibly a cleric or wizard or something like that getting resilient(con) or warcaster... Or possibly just 'lucky' in general then it's not a case that the players aren't metagaming.

Not that it's bad to have a little bit of metagame as long as everyone's on the same page.

Most players tend to have more fun with feats or whatever anyway.
>>
im gonna be playing a half orc bear totem barbarian

what should my stats at level 1 look like? im thinking of just dumping all my stats into str, dex and con and leaving int, wis, and cha at 8
>>
>>51608780
For a half-orc,
str>con>dex>wis>cha>int

To look less metagamey, be less of a failure of an outlander and to not fuck up as badly on perception+insight+wissaves you might want to consider putting wis to 10 or 12 if you can spare a bit of stat somewhere.

Str should be about 16, con should be 14 or 16, dex should be 14.

You can always leave two odd stats that you take an ASI to increase the both of at once at level 4 or 8, though don't forget PAM or GWM could benefit a barbarian quite nicely as a feat instead of an ASI.
>>
>>51608723
>You mean duelling fighting style
Yeah.
>Overall I'd say 'Paladin does the same but better than fighter for this'.
Paladin is kinda a stretch role play wise, and I really like the idea of crits on 19 (action surge is also all round great) when I get more than one level in fighter.
>>
>>51608812
i am very new to 5e and am unsure of what these acronym are for
>>
>>51608829
Polearm master or great weapon master.
>>
>>51608761
What's CBM?
>>
>>51608869
Crossbow Expert.
>>
>>51608711
Yes.
>>
>>51608869
Crossbow master
>>
>>51608829
Polearm Mastery and Great Weapon Mastery are feats that synergize with strength-based weapondry and can increase your damage output a bit, but if you're completely new maybe you'd be better off avoiding the feats for now.

>>51608821
Action surge and maybe extra crits are certainly good, but paladin offers extra spell slots, the ability to smite using those spell slots, +CHA to all saves and all saves of nearby allies and healing and a channel divinity.

Still, if you only want two levels instead of five levels for extra attack (because you're going to be using GFB+BB more if you're focusing on going dexterity) then it's probably not worth going paladin unless you want crazy burst damage. It'd also require you to have at least 13 strength even if you went dexterity.

If you want 4+ levels, paladin would be way better.
If you want ~2-3 levels, fighter isn't a bad choice, I guess, but paladin is still on the table.
If you want 1 level, fighter is best.
>>
>>51608878
>>51608869
Yeah, looks like I dun goofed, it's CBE then.

>>51608711
Yes. Probably one of the best, though Arcane Trickster is still a contender. I'd say swashbuckler is good for multiclassing.
>>
>>51608887
> (because you're going to be using GFB+BB more if you're focusing on going dexterity)
I mostly just use GFB, even though I I have BB I don't like that they could just stand in that spot and ignore it.
>extra attack
I could get that from fighter tho.
>It'd also require you to have at least 13 strength even if you went dexterity.
What?

Also I'm only level 4 (level 5 in close-ish) and I really doubt this is going to go to level 20.
>>
This UA is a steaming pile of garbage, only favored soul could be viable. Phoenix looks like it could be the worst archetype ever released.
>>
>>51608998
You don't know what viable means
>>
>>51608921
Paladin requires 13 strength to multiclass with.

if you get extra attack from fighter, you could also be taking levels of paladin for aura of protection and more spell slots, and thus at that point it isn't worth being a fighter.

And usually GFB+BB is just 'If there's a way to gaurantee GFB has its secondary effect and the enemy isn't fire resistant, use GFB. Otherwise, just use BB.'
>>
>>51608659
What do you think of the following:

>Pact Tools
>Requirements: Pact of the Blade
>In addition to weapons, you may summon your Pact Weapon as one of the following: Artisan's Tools, Thieves' Tools, 30ft rope, Gaming Set, Musical Instruments. You are proficient with it while you wield it.
>>
File: 1486324300685.jpg (26KB, 343x354px) Image search: [Google]
1486324300685.jpg
26KB, 343x354px
>>51608998
>Phoenix looks like it could be the worst archetype ever released.
>>
>>51609021
What are you puzzled about, anon? It's trash.
>>
>>51608998
Favoured soul is just, instead of being 'wizard but worse' it's 'cleric but worse' unless you can really abuse those twinned raise dead spells or something.

The rock sorcerer is actually pretty neat, though I find the teleporting a bit too 4e-esque and out of place, 'I'm going to teleport all over the place, but I can ONLY teleport if someone is attacked and not for any other reason ever not even if I'm about to drown in lava!'

Overall though it's shit because they didn't even try to fix sorcerer's problems, they just bloated its UA even more.
>>
>>51609027
I was going to take it tho. Why shouldn't I, seems better than draconic.
>>
>>51609009
I have a pretty good grasp on it's definition, Mearls. You fucking hack.
>>
>>51609030
Most of the flavor makes no sense.

>I can make my skin hard as rock!
>...but this doesn't give me resistance or reduce damage, only increase my AC and it only works if I'm not wearing amror
>>
>>51609012
I would absolutely put that as a replacement for thirsting blade (with thirsting as a pact freebie)
>>
>>51609012
Actually, I kind of like there's a list of options for it rather than 'Just pick a tool'. So that's pretty neat. I'd apply the same 'You can give the item minor cosmetic variation in much the same way as your pact weapon' and perhaps add some additional effects -
The 30ft rope might behave like a rope of climbing. The gaming set might allow you to cheat somehow (But requires you to deceive people into thinking it's a normal gaming set) and the musical instrument/thieves' tools / artisan's tools.. I wouldn't be too sure, but I'd probably instead of saying 'it can be any artisan's tools or gaming set or instrument' make it so the player chooses two or three or four tools/gamingsets/instruments to gain proficiency in. Just so the warlock doesn't shit over everybody who took tool proficiencies as part of their background to say 'Hey, I used to be a mason!' and then this warlock comes along and says 'I'm a mason, a jeweler, a miner, an arcaheologist, an alchemist, a burgular, a master of games, a master of music, a brewer, a cook...'
>>
>>51609045
>I make my skin become stony
>I become tougher

What's wrong with that?

>Doesn't work with armour
Because your armour doesn't fit and I suppose even if it did fit you're already thick enough that it wouldn't change much (And, I mean, stone men don't go around in armour. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but 5e was already like that)

>But stoneskin gives you resistance!
Well, this is a different sort of stoneskin with slightly different flavour and it needs to be balanced differently, I suppose.
>>
>>51609040
Well, let's break down the abilities.

>Ignite
So it's just... fire bolt, that does no damage, at touch distance.

>Mantle of Flames
- So it's Light focused on me, so enemies can see and have advantage on hitting me in the dark.
- Someone might take up to 5 damage for smashing my fucking head in with a hammer, great. I'm glad I let them get into melee as a fragile sorcerer.
- The bonus Cha damage to my fire spells for the turn is nice, but Warlock already does that schtick with Eldritch Blast better

>Phoenix Spark
I guess if I'm a fuck up and keep dying this is kind of okay, but Misty Step exists for a reason. Also this hits *everyone* near you, not just enemies. You might wipe your own low HP party just for rezzing yourself.

>Level 14 ability to gain a small amount of HP for casting firespells
Dog shit.

>Level 18 ability only works when Mantle is on, bumps the damage you do to your whole party for Phoenix Sparking even more, and gives you flight when you'd already have much better choices for flight if you wanted it
The damage resistance is nice I guess.

IT'S SHIT
T
'
S H I T
>>
>>51609040
What.

You only have a 1 minute damage boost every day, opposed to the one draconic has on all the time. In exchange you can... burn enemies in melee if they deem to attack you for miniscule damage. Again, only for 1 minute.

It's trash
>>
>>51607466
That's all well and good but not doesn't solve the problem of the party searching for giant relics
>>
>>51609105
>Not using ignite to set fire to things that are on a monster's person, i.e. a giant's loincloth
>Not using Mantle of Flames and becoming a grappler instead, maybe with multiclass, so that you deal damage automatically to everybody you have grappled since you're 'touching' them and then they also take damage if they try to attack you
Also you don't get advantage for attacking a lit up target unless it's faerie fire.

That said, the archetype is still shit and the fact they didn't try to fix sorcerer is shit.
>>
>>51609105
>Ignite
That's a ribbon.
>- The bonus Cha damage to my fire spells for the turn is nice, but Warlock already does that schtick with Eldritch Blast better
At level 1 and warlock is shit, I'd like more than two spells.

>- Someone might take up to 5 damage for smashing my fucking head in with a hammer, great. I'm glad I let them get into melee as a fragile sorcerer.
Was going to play a gish
>>
>>51609145
It doesn't make you immune to fire damage either, so you might not want to set people on fire and then grapple them. Just sayin'.
>>
>>51609145
There's no way to fix the inherent problem of sorcerer that it's always been, since it was introduced, a wannabe bard with a chosen one complex.
>>
>>51609166
You don't HAVE to set them on fire and then grapple them.

You can just grapple them and they'll take damage for touching you.
>>
>>51609042
You don't know what pretty good means
>>
>>51609162
>warlock is shit
Warlock is significantly more flavorful than sorcerer ever was, is, or will be.
>>
>>51609169
There are ways. They just need to stop making it 'Okay, it's wizard, but we gave them something, removed a bunch of wizard features, gave them less spells and.. Gave them less spells. And less spells to choose from. Okay, also it uses charisma. Done.'
>>
>>51609184
>I matter after I use both of my spells, right guys?
>>
>>51609040
Might as well rundown the list of why it's shit

>Edgelord reddit tier quirk

>Strictly worse ignition than fire bolt, why get close enough to touch something when you can ignite from a range? 100% worthless

>30 ft light, wow how unique and totally not common and everywhere and already done by everything, deal a maximum of 5 damage to creatures that are hitting you with ???????melee???????? Why are you playing a sorcerer and getting hit by creatures with melee? +5 damage with fire spells is pretty shit for a once per long rest ability

>Cheat death ability which deals laughable damage (maximum of 15 at 20th level) to enemies within 10 feet of you upon "resurrect". Again, why are you dying in melee range as a fucking caster?

>Overall mediocre healing but contingent on blowing fire spells - probably the most useful of all of these shit abilities.

>Flying speed, which is a bit of a non-issue at 18th level - you'll have it from another source by then anyway, not to mention draconic gets it at 14th level. Damage resistance isn't terrible but it isn't great either, and the buff to phoenix spark (which will probably never proc) doesn't even fucking matter.
>>
>>51605045
>also, don't bother telling me that if I want to play low magic/low fantasy that I should switch to another system.
>I know.
>I don't care.

Have you ever been so wrong that you had to permanently give up all hope of ever being right?
>>
>>51609169
They could have made a sub-class that actually focused on the things that make sorcerers good.

- SORCERY POINTS, more options to use them for stuff, or more ways to get them back also for doing stuff
- Being more "flexible" than wizards in terms of on the fly (they used to be and should be). Let them concentrate on two spells at the same time or some shit.
- Let them burn a spell slot to do something fucking neat, I don't know

THERE ARE WAYS
>>
>>51609215
I figured it might work since I was doing gish, but it does seem week.

Do you think I could make favored soul work?
>>
File: Eldritch Blast Vomit.jpg (112KB, 488x736px) Image search: [Google]
Eldritch Blast Vomit.jpg
112KB, 488x736px
Pure warlock is kinda shit
Pure sorcerer is shit
Pure Fighter is considered kinda lackluster aside from its damaging ability

Combine them and you get your worst nightmare.
Yet at the same time they still don't have much more utility than fighter, sorcerer or warlock does and the wizard is still laughing when it comes to non-combat things.
>>
The most insulting part is that this terrible fucking UA was delayed for no reason. It's not like they were working on it with the extra time.

>Okay yeah hit them up with the Cleric sub-type, rock guy, water guy, fire guy. Fukken masterpiece
>>
>>51609105
huh, you get advantage on hitting people in the dark with a Light spell? That's real interesting
>>
>>51609233
What are you trying to gish? Gishing is almost always a bad idea in 5E unless you're gunning for a meme build or in a party that uses short rests like candy and want to be a Smiteadin.

I'm sure there's a suitable class subtype to full 20.
>>
>>51609248
There's no mechanical rule in place but it's an extremely common home-rule I've seen.

This is why most people cast Light on a rock and then hide it in a shuttered lantern or their pocket.

If you're in a dark cave and you cast light on yourself, it's only 30 feet, right?

Some asshole 80 feet away can see you glowing like a fucking Christmas tree and you can't see him at all - I'd damn well give anyone trying to ding you with a ranged attack advantage for that in a heartbeart.
>>
Best races for swashbuckler?
>>
>>51609215
>Firebolt does not ignite anything attended by a person
>The 5 damage applies simply by touching someone, which has potential for abuse somehow, especially when at later levels this increases to 25 damage

I mean, as before, not saying it's not shit but it's hardly the worst archetype ever released.
WOT4E or beastmaster are probably some of the worst archetypes, and those aren't even UA. I'd probably say worst UA archetype is maybe something like mastermind or the satire bard college (simply for that stupid 'If enemies succeed this save, they fart' ability) or oath of treachery (Because they were probably fucking drunk when they made it 'How many different ways can we grant you advantage?' and ending on a capstone of 'You deal +20 damage to every attack.' or .. Arcane archer is pretty shit. Possibly one of the ranger UAs they released. Possibly gunsmith if it didn't have the niche of being used for sniping. Nah, honestly, have to hand it to WOT4E for most shit archetype of all time.
>>
>>51609257
>What are you trying to gish? Gishing is almost always a bad idea in 5E
It seems fun.

Would I be better off doing fighter/sorc using meta magic to twin and quicken GFB, Fighter/wizard going blade singer, also with GFB, or just arcane trickster?
>>
>>51607441
>>51607678
It's broken in the more traditional sense of broken, in that it doesn't work properly, because "never fails a roll" is not a fluffy or thematic character build. That's the reason people hate lucky. It's not too strong, it's just dumb.
>>
>>51609294
Feral Winged Tiefling
VA Human
That catboi monstrosity
>>
>>51609313
In order :

Lore Bard
Arcane Trickster
Eldritch Knight
Bladesinger
Fighter/Wizard
Fighter/Sorc
>>
>>51609294
High elf.
Get booming blade as a cantrip.

Half-elf is just good for skill monkeying.

Variant human is always there if you have a feat in mind.

A halfling would make a good barbarogue.
>>
>>51609238
What's with the different sized checkerboard on his clothes? Did a texture not load?
>>
>>51609341
>>51609294
Oh, right, forgot, Tabaxi for going fast.

>>51609313
Fighter/bladesinger is redundant and bladesinger already has the proficiencies they need, can't wear heavier armour and is probably better off keeping spell progression than getting action surge, and they already have extra attack if they need it.

Arcane Trickster isn't bad.

Fighter/sorc isn't terrible but I'd still say pala-sorc is best.
>>
File: 1486134598946.jpg (35KB, 301x218px) Image search: [Google]
1486134598946.jpg
35KB, 301x218px
>>51609145
>UA
>multiclassing

How many times do we need to say this
>>
>>51609257
>Short rests are bad, says the person who insists on playing wizard
>>
>>51609278
Nah, they just don't have disadvantage
>>
>>51609278
>I'd damn well give anyone trying to ding you with a ranged attack advantage for that in a heartbeart

You'd give him "not disadvantage", because he can "not not see you". Giving advantage is ludicrous, both for realism and game balance. Nobody likes tracking light mechanics anyways.
>>
>>51603806
>What makes your setting unique, and what refluffs turned out the best for it?

I suppose that the the positive/negative energy planes of the Feywild and Shadowfell are anemthea to each other.
>>
>>51609413
Short rests are retarded only because they encourage people to blow their wad all the time and then pop open a tent immediately.
>>
>>51609424
No, I'd give him advantage because you're literally a glowing target in the dark.
>>
>>51609431
Short rests aren't "pop a tent", it's "have a drink at the tavern". Shit, I just generally assume that even a light, uneventful horse ride at a slow trot counts as a short rest.
>>
>>51609341
Feral Winged Tieflings are such fucking bullshit.

>+2 Dex +1 Int
>free flight at level 1
>still get 30 foot ground speed unlike arrracockbirdmen
>can still wear armor, unlike birdmen
>can hold things in your hand, unlike birdmen
>have a normal lifespan, unlike the 30 years of a birdman

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>51609527
>Feral Winged Tiefling

WHAT THE FUCK?
>>
>>51609527
>>have a normal lifespan, unlike the 30 years of a birdman
That one is reasonable.
>>
Phoenix sorcerer is SO FUCKING SHIT.
Jesus Christ.
Make Mantle at will and Spark on a short rest and it'd still be worse than shadow and only marginally better than storm.
>>
>>51609540
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

They're absolutely bonkers.
>>
>>51609540
>>51609569
Infernal.
>>
>>51609527
I thought you could only, at most, select one variant trait from that table?

But being able to fly and having swashbuckler's ability would be insanely obnovious if it wasn't already just as obnoxious to fly at 300ft and spam eldritch spears.
>>
>>51609594
I thought Feral Tiefling was the variant and the table was the traits you pick from?
>>
>>51609569
Also, banned at most tables.
>>
>>51609393
How autistic do you have to be that you repeat yourself to niggas that dont give a fuck
>>
>>51603806
>What makes your setting unique?
The world is the dead body of a god. No wait, that's done.
Magic is sentient? Done too.
Living things have souls that impact magic and life beyond just the afterlife? Done to death.
Demons can be tamed? Straight up stolen from KSBD.
The gods created each their own race and humans are the only one that evolved naturally? No way.
Nothing, OP. Nothing significant in my world is unique.

>What refluffs turned out the best for it?
Elves, they were originally a continent-spanning empire worshipping the sun, transformed into elves when the sun god was created. Turns out people don't like all looking exactly the same even if they're 10/10s, so they started wearing masks and many are no longer fans of the sun.
I also dislike elves' age in games, because while it can be done interestingly by an author or GM, a player playing a 500 year old elf is unlikely to adhere to that and it can be really jarring or simply not add anything. So elves can live for centuries, but with a human-like anatomy they usually retire when they're around 60-100 y.o., into a council of elders, where they help lead the empire but most of the time just converse, play games and eat with other old people.
>>
>>51603806
Noob DM here is there any good adventure books out yet that can carry on immediately after the starter set.
>>
How does GFB and BB interact with Stone's Edge?
>>
File: question mark.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
>>51603806
stone sorcerer, does metal magic give you an EXTRA spell that you know, or simply an extra to choose from?
>>
>>51609660
It applies once.

>>51609669
Extra to choose from.
>>
Is there any reason to not pick Theurgist over a vanilla Wizard if my DM allows it? It's literally a straight improvement, yeah?
>>
>>51609424
But doesn't the advantage come from the fact that you're hidden to them?
>>
>>51609686
Your DM should ban Theurge wizards and Primeaval Guardian ranger.
They're the only two things currently released that are just broken and stupid.
>>
>>51609713
I kinda like Primeval Guardian as a low magic druid tbbqh
>>
>>51609732
You haven't read its mechanics right if you think it should be allowed as-is in anyone's game
>>
>>51609713
So you're fine with Oathbreaker Paladins and Clerics with the Forge Domain?
>>
>>51609746
I'm catching up on UAs and mostly just skimmed, at first sight it didn't seem to be significantly worse than either Ancients paladin or Stalker Ranger...
>>
>>51609754
They can't infinitely regenerate their health with no resource cost starting at level 7, so yeah.
>>
File: Giant albino wolf spider.png (583KB, 677x631px) Image search: [Google]
Giant albino wolf spider.png
583KB, 677x631px
Currently playing as a 3rd level ranger beastmaster (UA Revised version) with a pet giant wolf spider, if I were to consider multiclassing, what class, be it from UA or Vanilla would go best with it?
>>
>>51609770
Read again
>>
>>51609770
Except gaining temporary HP is not infinitely regenerating HP.

> If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones. For example, if a spell grants you 12 temporary hit points when you already have 10, you can have 12 or 10, not 22.

>If you have 0 hit points, receiving temporary hit points doesn’t restore you to consciousness or stabilize you. They can still absorb damage directed at you while you’re in that state, but only true healing can save you.

Primeval Guardian is dogshit. You get, at best, a 10 HP per turn buffer, while having a move speed of 5 feet.
>>
The problem with the sorcerer gish is that mechanics that make it tougher are insufficient, as you could just make a tougher ranged sorcerer. I think Stone sorc does this best as its mechanics involve melee a lot.
>>
>>51609770
You know that Forge clerics get magic weapon infinitely at level 1 and it only gets worse from there, right? They're completely bananas.
>>
>>51609795
Your pet gets stronger from your class level, not character level. Stay in your class.
>>
File: read again.png (39KB, 886x489px) Image search: [Google]
read again.png
39KB, 886x489px
>>51609799
Blind dipshit.
>>
>>51609795
Druid and Monk have the absolute most synergy and both feel like they could be fun (either underdark land druid or shadow monk)
>>
>>51609802
You are a blind moron. Grats on being illiterate faggot.
>>51609822
>>
>>51609814
I know too much about this game to take bait like that bruh.
>>
>>51603806
Man, these sorcerer options are all trash. I wonder why they keep doing that.
>>
>>51609843
Because sorcerers and Dragonborn are both meme options to bait in the people that want to be scaliefags.
>>
My party will be executed by the local lord. He'll spare them if I become his concubine. I would be giving him my maidenhead if I do. My party says that I shouldn't do it and they would die for my honor. They are the closest thing I have to family.
>>
>>51604319
>everyone goes "wow that sucks oh well"
>cancel the session and have everyone go home
>DM calls other players when the Rogue has left and has them circle back
>start session up again without Rogue and say he just fucked off during the night, what a mystery, oh well
>continue to play weekly without ever inviting shitlord Rogueplayer
>>
>Favored soul
Utter shit, the streets of India are nicer
>Phoenix sorcery
Pretty nice 1 minute a day and once a day way to avoid falling unconscious
>Sea sorcery
Very very nice
>Stone sorcery
My fav, very martial, and teleporting to punish those who attack your friends is pretty good and comes at a decent reachable level, I wish it lasted more than 1 minute but that would be too strong for 5e, maybe
>Sea sorcery
>>
>>51609872
Pretend to agree and hide a blade under your tongue or in your bagina and then hold his benis hostage when he tries to fug you.

It's like you've never been forced by a local lord into being a concubine before.
>>
>>51609105
Mantle of flame mean you do 8d6+16 or 6d6+12 damage at level 6 with scorching ray. When warlock still do 2d10+8.
>>
>>51609868
But those aren't dragon things or anything. They're other stuff, just terrible.
>>
>>51609822
Can't you really not read ?
>>
Would making the off-hand attack be part of the normal attack action make dual wielding slightly more viable?
>>
>>51609030
actually is cleric but really really worse, because no armor, no weapons, no channel divinity and limited spells known
>>
>>51609872
Depending on the average level of your party, you have more personal might than the entire holdings of the lord combined.
>>
>>51609897
>>51609822
>>51609897
>>51609799
>>51609802
>>51609770
They changed the UA. One person is arguing about the original UA, one is arguing about the UA now.

So stop arguing.
>>
>>51609887
You mean when Warlock still isn't using a fucking spell slot and the Sorcerer just activated a Mantle *and* cast a level 2 spell.

Not even remotely comparable.
>>
File: random dipshits gonna be low IQ.png (43KB, 1424x668px) Image search: [Google]
random dipshits gonna be low IQ.png
43KB, 1424x668px
>>51609882
You get 1 minute of a shit buff once per long rest.
And you get to not immediately become unconscious when a hit would bring you to 0 and do shit damage to things within 10 fucking yards of you once per long rest.

Dude.

>>51609897
>>
>>51609882
> favored soul
> shit
What? Expertise in all charisma skills make you the social king, even better than Bard. And 2d4 on saving throw is huge and it stack with bless.
>>
>>51609822
>>51609926
Samefag
>>
>>51609926
They actually changed it back.

First it was infinite.

Then it was per rest.

Then they changed it back to infinite again.

And it still isn't even broken. You're utterly useless in combat, and would have to shift into and out of tree form repeatedly just for healing +14 per turn, which is okay for FREE, but the 5 foot move speed means you're a useless turd. I'd let my whole party be tree rangers if they wanted; they'd get fucking raped.
>>
>>51609936
Counterspell and dispel magic are charisma checks for sorcerers.
The more you know.
>>51609943
I wish there were post IDs so you could look stupid more publicly.
>>
>>51609930
>underlines the essential part
Still don't get it.
It's funny really.
>>
>>51609215
>>Edgelord reddit tier quirk
>edgelord reddit
I have no idea what the fuck you're saying here. Quirk is dumb for a phoenix since its mostly dumb pyromania.
>ignition
Is a ribbon, not a feature.
>the rest
Its pretty obvious by now that sorcerer is supposed to be the gish class in WotC's mind rather than a blastier wizard. All the rest of the archtypes reflect that. Phoenix wizard is supposed to drop themselves in the middle of combat, detonate themselves with various firespells and kill everything around them before they die. Then when they die they revive and do it some more.
>>
>>51609930
This is ambiguous but most people take "current hit points remain the same" as in "the hit points you JUST had from being a tree baby", not "the hit points you had, before you turned into a tree, and healed up to your maximum".

It is a source of healing, it's just garbage still per >>51609948
>>
>>51609928
Sure add 2d6 to Warlock damage since they will use half their resource for hex.
>>
>>51609948
You use a polearm, take polearm mastery + sentinel + tunnel fighter, and then turn a 60 foot diameter into difficult fucking terrain. You're large so you have a 15 foot reach with a polearm. The enemy is either taking ten years to go around you to reach your party members (in which case you're winning) or they're druitlessly attacking you (in which case you're winning).

^
>>51609969
>>
>>51609994
Or they just hit you from 80 feet away with magic, bows, or they fly. Y'know.

You must have a retarded DM if you think a polearm guardian spirit Ranger is good for anything. OH NO LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT FIVE FOOT MOVE SPEED
>>
>>51609951
>I wish there were post IDs
What do you think those little red numbers are ?
>>
>>51610015
Yeah, because you can't turn into a tree on their faces or anything, because it's not a bonus action right.
>>
>>51609994
>PAM + Sentinel + TF
>three fucking feats, on a meme build

Yeah that's really going to be useful by the time it's up and running.
>>
>Favored Soul looks nothing like traditional Favored Souls nor like the previous UA
Double Wut?
>>
>>51610036
>tf
>feat
Leave.
>>
>>51610042
It is a sorcerer with cleric spell list. That is close enough to the previous edition FS isn't it?
>>
>>51610062
No? previous edition FS was a spontaneous cleric (with cleric proficiencies and HPs and domains).

Previous UA at least gave them proficiencies in armors and weapons.
>>
>>51610015
Use those boots of striding, increases you back to 30 feet.
>>
>>51604319
Attack a sleep person is just auto critical hit though. You still can make a dead saving throw can stuff.
>>
>>51610116
He's baiting
>>
>>51609882
>I wish it lasted more than 1 minute but that would be too strong for 5e, maybe

What combats are you in that last more than 10 rounds?

Additionally...you can just cast it again as a bonus action when it ends. I assume you'd be switching this around during combat quite a bit. There's no limit on how many times you can use Stone Aegis.
>>
File: hulking up.gif (1MB, 160x122px) Image search: [Google]
hulking up.gif
1MB, 160x122px
Bonesaw's Brilliant Headband

You can activate this item as a Reaction. When activated, all attacks made against you automatically hit. At the start of your next turn, you regain Ki equal to 1/2 of the damage taken as long as you aren't Incapacitated. This effect can be activated once per long rest.

Good? Bad? Overpowered? Underpowered?
>>
How would anyone fix sorcerer with home ruling?
>>
>>51610429
Give it actually good archetypes like shadow.
>>
What's better for a crossbow weilding Eldritch Knight, 20 Dex and 14 Con or 18 Dex and 16 Con? Note that I rolled stats and it's a level 10 campaign
>>
>>51609245
To be fair, Rock guy is a pretty sick archetype and makes the current best Gish build in the game.
Water guy has some interesting mechanics to it.

Fire guy and Cleric guy are trash but it's still better than:
>Edgy paladins
>1 rogue build that's worse than a PHB one tacked onto another classes UA
>4d6 Katana build Monk
>Samurai fighter that's worse than battlemaster
>>
>>51610429
Throw it out and start over because it lacks a clear design space as written.
>>
>>51610429
Give it lore that isn't "yeah, lol, dad paid my way into magic school so I expect you to give me a good grade"
>>
>>51610416
Reactions are named so because they are triggered by something else. it has to be a reaction to something, you can't just have something usable as a reaction without a trigger.
Have it trigger when you are missed by an attack and I can see it being ok. You're going to get a lot of ki just from a single attack (with a max of 20) but there's a risk if there are more enemies and you're still taking unnecessary damage.
>>
>>51610482
>implying sorcerers need school
Ha. Untalented pleb.
>>
>>51610429
more Sorcerery Points

Giving the player +1 metamagic options everytime they learn a new metamagic options

Supplying additional metamagic options. There are 8 Metamagic options. There are 16 Battlemaster Maneuvers. I see them as parallel features. So I would increase the number of options available.

Do something to let the player stretch their legs creatively with their usage of spells. My friend always talks about somehow letting sorcerers combine spells together, though i think that works well enough with Quickened. I had an idea for a combo where I cast Lightning Lure and then Shocking Grasp. But i guess in his mind, you'd roll once to hit with both spells. Might be an interesting metamagic option atleast.

It would be OP, but I would even allows some sorcerery points to refresh on a short rest.
>You can regenerate sorcerery points on a short rest. You cannot regain sorcerery points past half, rounded down, of your total pool of sorcerer points this way.
>>
>>51610503

You trigger it as a reaction to being attacked BROTHER!

I was thinking of capping Ki gain to half of max total, but eh...you're already sacrificing HP to gain Ki.
>>
>>51610429
I give them archetype spells like domain spells and let them use spell points (only 1 spell of 6th-9th level per long rest). I also allow them to change the element of any damaging spell when they learn it, among the common fire, cold, acid, poison and lightning. I also worked on transformations like in the playtest that makes draconic have stronger armor and wings and elemental resistance without cost, but it's finnicky and I'm not even sure I'd want to use it if it was balanced.
>>
>>51610416
Basically 'Use this item just before you're attacked and it's just before your turn in order to ensure you definitely end up with all of your ki back so you can fuck people up with even more stunning strikes'

And, yeah, it'd have to be a reaction to something.

It should really be something more like,
'As a reaction to something attacking you, before you take the hit, you can gaurantee the attack hits. No attack roll is rolled. You regain ki equal to the damage taken divided by 10. You may only use this once every short rest.'

It wouldn't be a very strong item, but it definitely has uses, sometimes.
>>
>>51610565
Before or after you see the roll? The trigger of being missed was to force it into being a negative thing, attacked works but if it's unlikely they will miss they may have hit anyway and if there aren't other enemies you've suddenly just got free ki. It depends on how high level the monk is, how high power the campaign is and all that though, same with capping, it's not necessarily needed.
>>
>>51610595
New thread.
>>
>>51610482

>A thousand draco malfoys cry in a corner
>>
Your players, who have a fairly mundane party of one cleric, one fighter, one rogue, and one wizard, have worked together to build their own stronghold. You, the DM, absolutely plan to have this stronghold attacked at least once. However, you want to give them, as a group, a set of Lair Actions, any one of which they can activate at initiative count 20 if they are inside their stronghold.

Each lair action is tied thematically to one of the PCs, and if that PC is for some reason not inside the stronghold or incapacitated, theirs can't be chosen as the lair action when initiative rolls around. What would be some nice but not overwhelming lair actions to give the group?
>>
>>51610611

Oh, that makes sense. I like that.

>>51610580
Alternatively, instead of using it as a reaction, you could use it on your own turn as a Bonus Action. Then you'd have to go through an entire round while Hulking Up, potentially taking a lot of damage to restore your Ki. High risk, high reward.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>51610416
He doesn't wear a headband.
That item is all negatives with no upside unless you're fighting only casters and have 5 combats between long rests.
>>
>>51610429
Sorcerer uses spll points, combined with sorcerer points.
Points gained as normal as per spellcasting variant
Choose one 7,8,9 spell at appropriate level, instead of learning them Cast once each for no points per long rest.

Makes them more versatile in their own way, but differently than wizards.
>>
>>51609045
Their stone defense fits in just fine with stone objects.
>>
>>51610707
If the enemies had gauranteed hits though BEFORE you used it, it only means you've reduced their damage by denying them the chance of critting if it prevents them from even rolling at all.

Still, it'd ask the question 'Do the enemies know that you'll now take all the attacks?'.. The answer is probably yes. And monks are squishy.

And wouldn't it mean you might get your allies to attack you to grant you ki? Probably using some sort of temporary HP boost at the same time.
>>
>>51609067
>The gaming set might allow you to cheat somehow
Rather than cheating, they'd magically enforce wagers. It's up to you to cheat.
>>
>>51610563
Some additional Metamagic options i thought of

>Combined Spell
When you cast a spell that requires a roll with a d20, either by you as a spell attack, or by the target as a saving throw, you can cast an additional spell that requires the same type of d20 roll. The roll in question counts for both spells effects. This costs a number of sorcerer points equal to 1 + the average spell level, rounded up, of the two spells (1 sorcery point for cantrips)

>Triggering Spell
Whenever an enemy would provoke an opportunity attack for you, instead of attacking with a weapon, you can instead cast a spell using your Reaction

>Delayed Spell
You can spend 1 sorcerery point to put a delay on a spell you cast. Instead of being cast on your turn, it instead instead is cast in X turns. Casting a spell this way uses a bonus action instead of a full action

>Spell Trap
You can spend 1 sorcerery point to ward a designated space with a spell. Whenever a tiny or larger creature touches or enters the area, the spell is cast. When you use this Metamagic option, you can designate creatures that won't set off the trap. The designated space is a 5 foot cube, you can increase the size of the space by 5 feet in all directions by spending 1 additional sorcerery point

>Greater Spell
You can spend 3 sorcerery points to cast a spell at a higher spell level, so long as the spell offers that option

>Disruptive Spell
When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll you can spend sorcerery points to add an additional effect and the target must make a saving throw to avoid said effect
Strength - Prone
Dexterity - Paralyzed
Constitution - Poisoned
Intelligence - Stunned
Wisdom - Frightened
Charisma - Charmed

>Destructive Spell
Whenever you cast a spell that requires a target to make a saving throw you can spend X sorcerery points to add damage to the spell. Choose a damage type, you must make a ranged/melee spell attack to hit with the new damage
1 - 1d4
2 - 1d6
3 - 1d8
>>
>>51609248
If you're in darkness, like 75' away, and your target is in light, they can't see you, but you can see them. That's how you get advantage.
>>
>>51609310
>especially when at later levels this increases to 25 damage
It's always 5 damage. The damage increase from phoenix form is to your suicide bomb, making it 50 damage total, when you get killed.
>>
>>51609887
>Mantle of flame mean you do 8d6+16 or 6d6+12 damage at level 6 with scorching ray
Not really enough better than their fireball to be concerned over, and evocation wizard magic missile is so much more reliable that it's still better. Mantle of Flame should be at will at level 6 or level 14 at the latest. The fire shield part can become an extra effect by spending sorcery point on activation if permanent weak fire aura is too strong, but it isn't too strong.
>>
>>51608519
>Races are by far the easiest thing to homebrew mechanically, so they're unlikely to be broken.

That's the other half of why they are made. Doesn't stop 90% of them from being absolute ass-crap.
>>
>>51609967
You could kill yourself to burn the enemy a little more, or you could be a light cleric to do the same thing better without killing yourself. But sure, if you want to die it's great.
>>
>>51608187
>Additionally, a world being "interesting" is ... not a priority. At all. In any way. The only thing that is a priority is that there is, at a minimum, a single interesting location (the dungeon or other adventure site or sites that the campaign takes place in), and a handful of interesting characters (the PCs).

This is why no one takes D&D seriously.

Commit suicide.
>>
>>51610474
This. Sorcerer is too constrained by being wizard's little brother. They aren't allowed any unique combat presence.
>>
>>51610996
>>Disruptive Spell
>When you cast a spell that requires you to make an attack roll you can spend sorcerery points to add an additional effect and the target must make a saving throw to avoid said effect
I'd just make it knock the target 15 ft. back/prone vs. save or something, maybe give them disadvantage on concentration checks against the attack. The different conditions are very different in power and maybe too versatile to all be one metamagic option, and you haven't even got varying costs for them.

Destructive spell adds another roll which isn't very good, and it adds a spell attack to a saving throw spell which means you may have to do it for a lot of targets. +1 damage for each sp beyond the first is pretty shit.

Combined Spell is just better than quicken for certain spells, this means you can double fireball and then use a cantrip on your bonus action.

Delayed spell is versatile and powerful, I don't think changing it to a bonus action is needed. Ready already requires you to concentrate on it until you let it fly.

Otherwise pretty cool.
>>
>>51610669

Blessed Aid: If the cleric is within the stronghold and not incapacitated, a cherub appears, unless one is already present. A cherub has 20hp, 16 AC, 6 Str, 14 Dex, a proficiency bonus equal to be players', a flying speed of 20 feet, and carries a shortbow. It can cast Cure Light Wounds at-will, at its lowest level.

Echoing Boast: if the fighter is within the stronghold and not incapacitated, the halls ring as he shouts warnings of just who exactly the invaders are dealing with. Every enemy within the stronghold must roll a Wisdom save or have their speed halved until the next lair action, as the might of their foes gives them pause.

Failsafe: if the rogue is within the stronghold and not incapacitated, a single target within 60 feet of the rogue (but not necessarily within line of sight) must do one of the following: make a Strength save or be knocked prone; make a Con save or be poisoned until the next lair action; or make a Dex save or be blinded until the next lair action. These choices are the result of the target unwittingly triggering a trap that the rogue surreptitiously armed at some point during the conflict.

Fleeting Simulacrum: if the wizard is within the stronghold and not incapacitated, a ghostly double of the wizard appears in a spot of the players' choice. It has the same ability scores as the wizard, but only has 6 plus Con mod hp, and vanishes after taking a single action. It knows all cantrips of the school the wizard practices, but no spells of 1st level or higher
>>
>>51610563
>>51610996
Some anon made a class called runeweaver where you could create spells by combining effects with a cost associated to them. I'll post the pdf when I can
>>
>>51610996
Triggering Spell doesn't have a sorcery point cost. Also, it almost exactly replicates one of the bonuses of War Caster.

I was thinking of something similar though:
>Vengeful Spell
Whenever an enemy hits you with a melee attack, you can spend 2 sorcery points and use your reaction to cast a cantrip, which must target only that enemy.
>>
Here are some great sorcerer metamagic ideas

>Reaction EB
You cast a cantrip as a reaction when something you don't like happens for 2 sorcerery points
>Bonus EB
You cast a catnrip as a bonus action but now it only costs 1 sorcerery point because man that costed too much before
>Move EB
You spend all your movement for the turn (you cannot use it) to cast a cantrip as 2 sorcerer points.
>Object Interaction EB
You use your object interaction to cast a cantrip for 2 sorcerery points
>Twinned EB
When you cast a cantrip that can potentially target multiple creatures with seperate attack rolls, you double the number of attacks made for 1 sorcerery point.
>>
>>51612632
Technically, there's support for the *idea* behind Vengeful Spell, since Hellish Rebuke is a thing and several sorcerer subclasses have "counterattack" options.
>>
>>51612571
>>51612632
>>51612691

Maybe Vengeful Spell is too cheap. Maybe it should be 3 sorcery points, or you must cast a 1st-level spell (spending a slot) instead of a cantrip.
>>
>>51610429
Spellpoint Varient combined with Sorcery Points.

True flexibility with your spells and more emphasis on metamagic, Sorcerers are fixed.
Thread posts: 380
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.