[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good TTRPG systems that use jrpg-esque combat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0654.gif (849KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0654.gif
849KB, 500x340px
Are there any good TTRPG systems that use jrpg-esque combat? (Stuff like Pokémon, final fantasy, shin megami tensei) I hate using miniatures.
>>
>>51598061
13th Age
>>
>>51598061
Ryuutama.
>>
>>51598061
The original Final Fantasy was a giant copyright infringement of AD&D, so if that's what you're going for you should play AD&D instead.
Otherwise, see >>51598592
>>
>>51598061
that's kinda vague.

if you're talking about heroes on this line, enemies over here, no movement ever, yea any edition of dnd except 4e will work with that.
>>
>>51598061
You know, I used to just roll my eyes at the old "have you tried not playing D&D" meme. But every time I come to /tg/ there's at least one thread saying "I don't like *thing that's only really a problem with D&D*" and over time I've come to realize that the meme is true, it's fucking true.

So, OP, to address your question:
Theater of the mind combat is pretty standard in every game that isn't D&D or a D&D clone. Have you tried not playing D&D?
>>
>>51599816
It's also standard in pretty much every edition of D&D except 3.x and 4, and you can easily get away with it in 3.x. 5e barely even has miniature rules.
>>
>>51599816
>theatre of mind isn't standard in D&D
Have you tried not playing 4e?

Hell, true (TSR) D&D isn't even gridded.
>>
NEVER played with minis until I had the misfortune of trying 3.PF when it was still in beta (did it ever leave?). Others in the group pulled out minis for an RPG, not a wargame! THE FUCK?!!

No, bollocks to it. Play something earlier or different on later, you can just do with out.

>replying to bait /10
>>
>>51598061
so don't use miniatures. i'm guessing you're hung up on the visual representation of combat using minatures, as that's the only specific thing you mentioned.

stop using minatures, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>51598084
combat in 13th age is really fun.
>>
>>51599816
so true
>>
>>51598061
>Are there any good TTRPG systems
Not really, no.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.