[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gurps Dungeon Crawl

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: cd71c46d157122fdd117f8865dd1dbbd.jpg (170KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cd71c46d157122fdd117f8865dd1dbbd.jpg
170KB, 800x1200px
I'm running a modern dungeon crawl game; sort of hotline Miami style urban nightmare with psychedelic elements. I'm gonna use gurps with the basic combat because my players are familiar with it and it works well enough.

What splatbooks do you guys recommend me to look at for something like this?
>>
>>51564090
When you say a "modern dungeon crawl", do you mean to have monsters? Or just mobsters? Are you going to have traps? Will it be an actual dungeon, or a series of dungeon-like (e.g.) warehouses/apartment blocks?
>>
>>51564146
Kowloon style urban dungeon. Mix of both monsters and humans, with things getting weirder deeper in. As per traps, maybe but less so. And it will be laid out like a dungeon but not actually a dungeon or tomb or whatever.
>>
I grabbed dungeon fantasy: dungeon already, which will help, but I'm wondering about some good books for handling a mix of melee and gun based ranged. Guns don't need to be equal in power to melee, they can be more powerful, I'm balancing that in other ways.
>>
>>51564689
Action's pretty good for that.
>>
The core book and maybe high tech if you want extra options. You should look at Lair of the Fat Man. It is a crawl in a Bond villain's base which can serve as a good example. Alternatively use GURPS Action if you want something out of the box.
>>
>>51564689
GURPS Gun-Fu is pretty rad. There is also tactical shooting for more realistic things, and Martial Arts for more combat options in general. You don't really need much beyond the basic set for what you are doing.
>>
>>51564689
As the other Anons said, Action is your best bet; it's template-based like DF but assumes a cinematic and modern (slightly pre-modern by this point) setting instead of a generic fantasy setting. Action 2 gives lots of very good advice for GMs that I use even in non-Action games, and Action 3 covers adding in martial arts guys. Action 4 gives players the options of building their characters with lifepath-esque packages rather than from a single template, but it's not a main part of the series; if you want to stick to standard templates, feel free to ignore Action 4.

As for the encroaching weirdness, what sort of weirdness are we talking about? Psionic Powers is a good out-of-the-box system for psychics, and Powers: The Weird specializes in, well, weird stuff.
>>
>>51566207
I'll take a look at all those.

Out of curiosity, I've been reading through the combat rules for combat lite and the "Ready" action seems kind of cumbersome. I realize its purpose, but it seems like no one will want to use a fireax, for instance, if it takes a full combat turn worth of doing basically nothing to ready it between each swing. How does that work out in actual combat?
>>
>>51567193
It takes some time getting used to, but one of the most valuable lessons I've learned about GURPS combat is that it's okay to have a "dead" turn. Evaluates, Feints, and Readies are just as useful as Attack (one of the benefits of having a system without a lot of HP bloat is that it's worth spending a few turns making sure your eventual attack hits solidly).

Also, weapons that require a Ready after an attack are often super-lethal; polearms, for instance, can cripple or kill in a single blow at significant reach. A careful approach and a measured attack to the right hit location can end a one-on-one fight in one blow.

On the off chance you're confusing them, note that "Unbalanced" does not mean "Unready." Unbalanced weapons have a U in their Parry stat; you can't Parry with that weapon in the same turn you attack with it. Unready weapons have a cross or double-cross in their ST stat; you need to take a Ready maneuver to prepare to swing the weapon again, but high ST removes this requirement (in Basic Set's combat, there's no way to remove the limitation on Parries).
>>
>>51564090
Action
Gun Fu
High Tech
Dungeon Fantasy
Horror
>>
>>51567304
Does range amount to anything in combat lite? I ask because the lite combat is what I want to use (I'm doing this game online so lengthy in depth combat is not a recipe for success) but it seems odd to lose the benefits of range entirely.
>>
>>51567633
Lite combat is grid-less, so any benefits of reach and range are going to be abstracted. That doesn't mean they're not useful, but it does mean their usefulness is tied to more narrative uses.

Honestly, I know less is more, especially in GURPS, but consider upgrading to the full tactical hexgrid combat rules; if you're running a dungeoncrawl, combat is going to be the main focus of the game, so you might as well go all-in.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.