[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 30

> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1T

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51533020

How active are the gods in your setting?
>>
>>51540676
I havent even made any gods for my setting yet. Thankfully no one is playing a Cleric or a Paladin.
>>
>>51540676
Just enough that I can deus ex machina or railroad the players without being totally stupid about it.
>>
>>51540676
>Playing a human fighter
>party is primarily made up of elves who all worship elven deities
>they keep asking which god I worship
>never answer
>they think i'm an atheist
>IC they don't know I've been using hidden actions each night to pray to Talona, goddess of poison and illness
>something I have been doing for 26 years
>they wonder why I never get sick or get harmed by poison

Those fools
>>
>>51540676
I'm DMing forgotten realms, so you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cleric or a god in disguise.

They are level 2 and all seem to have decided to not select any gods. But that may change cause a Temple to Sune should be a setting in the next session.
>>
File: princess_by_fenghuaart-dafc6m2.jpg (98KB, 738x1083px) Image search: [Google]
princess_by_fenghuaart-dafc6m2.jpg
98KB, 738x1083px
What 3 items is best to attune to for a monk?

I'm thinking bracers of defense, cloak of displacement, and ring of spellholding(Haste)

Any others?
>>
My players just finished the Bryn Shander fight in Storm King's Thunder. I'm not really sure where to go from there though. The book just kind of says "hey, explore all of the savage frontier" but doesn't give a ton for plot hooks. Like the quests that the NPCs give don't really lead to the giant temple.
>>
>>51540909
Staff of Striking.

Very rare but lets you smite. Kind of.
>>
>>51540902
Inspired by Cleric Quintet?
>>
>>51540933
You as the DM do not need to provide plot hooks for your players. They are coming to the game to pretend to be adventurers. Let them impose themselves on the world.

The best way to do this is to show them a map of the area and ask them "what do you want to do?"
That is the most "hook" you need to provide. This isn't Legend of Zelda where a faerie shows them where to go at every turn.
>>
>>51540676
Trying to name drop them as NPCs to make it more realistic but keep forgetting their names so not that much
>>
>>51540676
>How active are the gods in your setting?
Surprisingly active, considering that none of them exists.
>>
>>51540945
Which book can I find staff of striking?
>>
>>51540676

I asked a few threads ago and got some great responses, so I'll ask again.

What are some good roleplaying encounters I can put into a session?
>>
File: 1477825970079.jpg (894KB, 1920x829px) Image search: [Google]
1477825970079.jpg
894KB, 1920x829px
After a swift battle the orcs manage to conquer a large portion of territory previously held by humans.
What does it gradually look like?
So far I have this idea:
In quiet times more women are born, creating over time a stable society capable of stable peaceful with neighbors nations.
Breeding wimpier orcs may not sit well with the still war-crazed old generation which generates internal conflics...
>>
>>51541002
Ok, but in that case I won't have much of an opportunity to prepare for what they're doing. I'm fine doing some things on the fly, but when they have the ability to go to so many locations, it's a little concerning.
>>
File: IMG_4448.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4448.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>51541058
DMG
>>
>>51540676
It varies. The main God, literally the sun, shares power to anyone that is earnest in their commitment to his law, and the law of his brothers. The gods occasionally manifest an avatar, but it's rare and frightening.

Both the moons are basically Dyson spheres that house artificially created miniature stars/gods, they have great influence during the height of their cycles.

Demon gods are constantly scheming and influencing where they can, but rarely manifest on the surface, because sun/starlight basically imposes law and reality on beings made of consolidated "cannot be"
>>
Is working off the basic rules and the SRD considered sufficient to run a game off? I'm loathe to buy physical copies and WotC seems to hate the concept of receiving cash for PDFs.
>>
New DM trying to get something going for some of my friends.

Where do I start with making a campaign? BBEG and their motivations?
>>
Just to confirm does Attacking with Haste reset your extra attacks?
>>
>>51541283
I started with where the campaign took place, and built around what could be happening.

Sword Coast is a great place to start unless you want to homebrew a setting.
>>
File: 1448557319905.jpg (107KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1448557319905.jpg
107KB, 533x800px
What are the best domains for a cleric to pick? Also, how do clerics hold up in 5e?
>>
>>51541336
Nothing resets extra attacks. You get your number of attacks, and you get one additional weapon attack through the haste action.
>>
>>51541283
Run a premade campaign first. It'll help you get the "feel" of a campaign down and also see how other, more experienced GMs set about crafting a narrative
>>
>>51540676
Active gods don't really make sense to me. If a god decides to do something, what could the party possibly do to contribute to or hinder that? You're taking something on a scale the party can't match and making it a situation they have to deal with. Any situation in which the party can kill or thwart a God kinda ruins the idea of a God, doesn't it?

So, my Gods are passive boons/banes. If a God decides to defend a town, then that manifests as the guards fighting a little better, the walls holding a little longer, the plague ending a little faster. If a God decides to kill a town, its enemies are a little more bloodthirsty, there will be more accidents and injuries, etc. If two gods clash, it depends who is stronger.

Ultimately though, the mortals on the ground decide the course of action.
>>
>>51541350
Life Cleric is amazing for healing.

Light Cleric is fair cause it gets fireball and some defense.

I am a personal big fan of War Cleric, with enough Str and Wis you can fake being a martial.

They are one of the best classes to get cause of their effects, they have a fine spell list, domain abiltiies are great, and having a god has built in background for your character.

If you are coming from other versions of D&D I know it's less about healing, cause healing word exists, and keeping people up is a fair tactic. My war cleric has healing word and nothing else.
>>
>>51541283
Honestly I'd just start with a premade adventure. Don't think too hard about the setting or anything. If your friends are new to DnD, then you don't want to overcomplicate things. A simple quest with a couple of battles and a few roleplaying opportunities is more than enough for an introduction.
>>
>>51541355
How about fighters Action Surge?
>>
>>51541343
>>51541365
>>51541410
Lemme clarify

I haven't never DMed before. I've played through premades, and done short one-off sessions of my own design.

I'm just not sure where to begin in creating a more overarching campaign of my own.
>>
>roll 4d6 drop the lowest for stats
>17 16 15 14 14 14

what the fuck do I make
>>
>>51541283
New DM, or new to DnD? Are your players new as well?

If a significant portion of you are new to DnD, play Lost Mines of Phandelver, using the premade characters.

Otherwise, if you're a new DM but not a new player, run a published adventure first. It offloads a lot of the mental processing to allow you to get a handle on the moment to moment parts of DMing. LMoP is still probably the right choice, but don't stick to premade characters.
>>
>>51541350
Clerics are good fun and fairly strong. They have a massive pool of spells to choose from, a lot of flexibility in how to build themselves, and they can take a beating.

I've played a trickster cleric and got a ton of roguish abilities which were very useful. And a player in my current game is playing a tempest cleric and is having a great time.
>>
>>51541486
Not new to DnD, and only the past experience listed >>51541442

My players are all relatively experience.

I'm not looking for "How do I DM"

I'm looking for ideas of where to begin in the creative process of crafting a campaign.
>>
>>51541485
Make whatever the fuck you want.

Also,
>inb4 spergs going 2000% mad that sometimes people roll for stats instead of going clinical point buy or prearranged statlines.
>>
>>51541485
Barbarian is probably the class that benefits the most from stats like that, but really anything would be do-able
>>
>>51541520
>creative process of crafting a campaign.
Read a lot of fantasy series and adapt ideas from them to your own setting. You don't have to be 100% original all the time, but small tweaks here and there can make for a great adaptation.

Also, there was a post regarding this in an earlier thread;

"Playlist by the great Matt Colville. I was once like you, but his videos showed me how easy it is.
He has said on many occasions that the best DM he had was not a "creative-type" person. So no worries there.

You can use a pre-made setting, or make your own.

While it is easiest to use a pre-made one, making your own setting is alot of fun.

What I did for my first session was I just made 1 town and 1 dungeon near the town. The Town was alone in the wilderness and acted as a waystation between two kingdoms in a neutral zone, so people had to pass through here to get from one kingdom to the other. So i didn't even draw a map or anything, because there wasn't anything really close enough.
I also used http://donjon.bin.sh/ to do most of the work for me. It can randomly generate things like item shops, inns, npcs, even town descriptions.

I generated town, then I generated a list of 20 random npcs. Then I made 2 inns and 1 armoursmith. Then based on the information in the generated town description, the inns, and the armoursmith I generated more NPCs to fill the gaps. Then i wrote up somekind of adventure hook, i used the one in Matt Colville's videos about having someone in the town having their child kidnapped by Goblins. I asked the player what he wanted to do, eventually he went to one of the inns, i had there be a bit a gossip, then the aforementioned parent burst in. If he was in the poor inn it would be the local butcher's kid. If he was in the rich inn, it would have been a painter/artist's child, but the outcome was the same. Then he went to the dungeon and that was that."
>>
>>51541520
>I'm looking for ideas of where to begin in the creative process of crafting a campaign.
You could get together with your players, ask them what they want to do, and have a brainstorming session to establish the overarching parts of the setting. Then you go from there.
>>
File: 1484443883324.jpg (150KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484443883324.jpg
150KB, 960x720px
First time paladin player here for 5e, recently got the chance to play a Treachery paladin for an upcoming game.

We rolled 4d6 subtracted the lowest, ended up with 15, 16, 16, 14, 14, 11.
Not entirely sure how to build him, the only thing that are "set in stone" so to speak is that it's a half-orc, and no PAM with quarterstaff+shield combo because that makes me irrationally angry.

Any ideas?
He's the type to despise weaklings and believes that the end justifies the means, so was maybe thinking a run of the mill 2h but that feels a bit dull.
>>
>>51541520
start with the end! think of the coolest way a campaign could end, then build towards that goal
>>
>>51541485
Monk
>>
>>51541168
Here is what i do. I make a town and a dungeon before the start of a session. It doesn't matter which town or which dungeon the party ends up in, i just use those that i prepared and change the names of it.

For example, in my first session I had 3 dungeons nearby.

Cave in the hills that leads to a dungeon. This is the hideout for Dwarves who are led by a Duergar. The Dwarves are disguising themselves as goblins when they raid caravans.

Temple in the Swamp. This is the base of operations for a Vegepygmy Chieftain who has been causing trouble for farmers.

Fortress in the mountains. There are tensions between the Deep Gnomes and the local kingdom, this fortress is where said kingdom gets it's !Mithril.

Yea, i made hooks, but i didn't tell the players about this stuff. I said
>You are in town for the wedding for a few nobles
>After the Nobles make a parade through town, they head off to the castle, people disperse and head off to celebrate the wedding.
I ask them where they go, they decide to go to an Inn
I have 1 Inn prepared, but I say they are 2 in town. I doubted they'd go to both Inns.
I describe the Inn and show them 2 bounty posters on the wall.
The player who is a Fighter grabs the bounty posters. One of them says "inquire at bounty store"
Then they talked to NPCs for...like an hour. I just had NPCs explain the politics of the setting during the "party"
The fighter asked to go to the bounty store, which directed them to the swamp.

The Bounty posters are the most direct "quest". They have to uncover the other story lines, which they didn't

I didn't make 3 dungeons. I prepared 1 dungeon for the session. No matter which path they chose, i would use the 1 dungeon i prepared, they aren't going to get through 1 dungeon and get to a second dungeon in 1 session.

They could have gone to another town, but i would just fill their time with random encounters till they go there. And when they arrived, the session would be over. Cliffhanger!
>>
How would you recommend I stat the more human races as ethnicities for a more Conan kind of game? Like make Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Half-Orcs, and Half-Elves into different sorts of the Human.
>>
>>51540909
Biggest belt of giant strength available
Amulet of health
>>
>>51541414
It doesn't reset. Action surge gives you another action. So you can chose to do two actions. Two attack actions. So if you have extra attack you can do 2 attacks and then 2 more attacks with your second action.
>>
>>51541628
You got the stats to back it up. Two weapon fight. More chances to smite.

18 Str 16 Con are your bare bones. Choose how bad you want high Charisma versus Dex for initiative and checks.

At level 4 you take dual wielded and get battle axes.
>>
>>51541628
>maybe thinking a run of the mill 2h but that feels a bit dull.
You chose a dull concept. Go with it or change the concept. Your job as pally is to smite things till they die anyway
>>
>>51541711
Take the +2s they get, and make them +1 and get to throw a point into any other stat.

Wood elves go from +2 Dex +1 Wis to + 1 Dex + 1 Wis + any other stat.

Get rid of darkvision and add different skill proficiencies.

High Elves lose Darkvision and gain arcana.
>>
>>51541628
16+2
15+1

ezpz
>>
>>51541711
Exactly the same but without pointy ears/green skin/inhumanly small stature
>>
>>51540676
I still need to figure out what the fuck the gods Are.

I've sort of brought this upon myself through forcing all celestial beings into one corner of the world and having them pretty much not present anywhere else, but I'm happy enough with the rest of my setting and far enough into creating in that I'm not going to back down from that point.

I have a general idea for the other 3/4/5 "shards" of the world.
The Original Elemental now broken into tthe billions of pieces that make up life itself, strewn across the world and/or still manifesting itself in the center of the Elemental Chaos.
The Original Dragon, Io, now broken (to some renamed iterations of Tiamat and Bahamut) and their children/kin/whatever (dragons and all draconic derivatives) populate their shard.
The Original Fiend is now dead (killed by children? or celestial?), but his children (the original demon and devil) lived lived on and populated his shard.
The Original Fey's sister/other half/manifestation of her darker desires/whatever ran away to populate the underdark, the nether realm of her shard, before succumbing to some corruption/??? and becoming an eltritch horror beast terror thing of which tales are still told. Not sure what happened to the original Fey. Titania?
The Original God/Cellestial.. ....??????

As for clerical representation, Element, Dragon, Fiend, and Fey based powers *could* work, but right now they seem to have representation in Wizards Sorcerers and Warlocks. In general thinking of divine power something that's more and more common the closer you reach to the Celestial shard, but unsure exactly how I want everything to tie in.

Any thoughts, feedback, or inspiration, /5eg/? I'll even take a "your ideas are bad" if you could elaborate a slight bit
>>
If you plan to use ring of spell storing, Is it better to have 1 haste and 2 Shields or 2 shield of faith and 3 Shields?
>>
>>51541871
Entirely preference, and depends so much on the party comp and what you are trying to actually do. Shields are nice but if you are doing your part and staying far back, you should instead be preparing lightning bolt or magic missle and keep that crazy range.
>>
>>51541796
I was interested in Heavy Armor Mastery for the DR, since it'd probably get a fair bit of value.

>>51541841
Yeah, was thinking that, was more wondering about feats etc.
>>
>>51541485
Ricky is that you?
>>
>>51541350
Tempest is best, but they're really close together in power level so it really varies based on what you want to do with them, and the wide array of domains mean you can approximate just about any other class or role well enough. Even the worst domain, Trickery, isn't that bad (read: it's playable, even can be strong starting at level 7).
>>
>>51541913
We're talking about being a martial
>>
How exactly is a spell stored I am the ring?
>>
>>51541976
You wanna try English there, friendo?
>>
>>51541154
Could you be any more obvious in your pro-liberal agenda?

If that wasn't intentional, you are one well-brainwashed goy.
>>
>>51541711
I would just re-skin the non-human races as different Ethnicities.
I would try to avoid using more than 1 race that has Dark Vision. It would be weird for multiple human ethnicities to have dark vision. Though admittedly, i would just not use any races with Dark Vision.

Dragonborn are Dragon Nobles. People who were said to be descended from Dragons. They have a draconic breath weapon and resistance based on their noble bloodline. Super pale while people with super bright eyes coloured to their associated dragon type.

Firbolgs and Goliaths work well as Half-Giants

Tritons as people from a society like Atlantis/.

Lizardfolk as crazy savages in the wastelands.

Kenku and Changelings would be cool too. Not sure how you'd make a society of copy-cats, but it could be cool.

Base Humans are from a society that focuses on adaptability

Variant Humans are from a society of highly specialized ability

Then maybe 1 race with Dark Vision. Since you said Conan, gotta take Yuan-ti and have people imbued with Snake Magic.

I would legit just look in the PHB at the different types of humans listed there, cause it goes into detail about it, and assign the different types to this list.
>>
Is there some way to "playtest" a homebrew class without, say, playing it for the entirety of a DnD campaign?

It's not that I don't want to play my own class, it's just that I don't have the time to join another DnD game.
>>
Hunter's mark on Ring of Spell storing for Martial
>>
>>51541938
Then you already have your answer. I've never seen it played. But if you want value the best you could hope for is Inspiring Leader.
>>
>>51541959
Then haste and Blur when that fails.
>>
>>51541947

no
>>
>>51541154
>>51542012
"Liberal" here, this is still horrible.

How the fuck would more peaceful times mean more women are born? What is this typical misogynist bullshit of "women are peaceful" or whatever, charged with the pervasive societal idea that women cannot be criminals or violent or murderers, interestingly a concept subverted by typical Orcish culture where everyone contributes to the fight, not like you care about that though

As for actual feedback, try taking inspiration from good old Genghis Khan. Conquered land is mostly left as it was, although the people must pay patronage/homage/whatever to their conquerors. This left the general populous from revolt/whatever as the status quo was generally unchanged, but also let the conquerors continue their warmarch elsewhere. Do some real research into it and I think you'll find plenty
>>
>>51540676
Anyone got a copy of the DM Guild stuff? I know most of it's shit, but I wanted to check out something called Homeward Bound. Supposedly it's a good base-building subsystem.
>>
>>51542099
Grab the DMG and find out what a level 1 PC can fight against. Then run simple encounters against it. Also make vanilla PCs to compare to for science. Compare how your homebrew does against a low CR enemy and compare it to a level 1 GW fighter.

Go all the way up to 20 a few times, and your homwbrew better have highs and lows. Paladins get better than fighters at level 2, fighters pass them at level 11. Moon Druids are great early. Wizards are great late. You also better kill your PC a few times.

It's only limited to your imagination.
>>
>>51540888
Surely you goddess requires more than devotion to convey such boons. What nergle flavored atrocities have you been doing on the side?
>>
>>51540676
The primordial gods rule over forces that create the universe, the elements, time, life/death, etc. They are typically quite passive and see their worshipers less as extensions of their will and more as one of their many pieces.

The mortal gods arise from the collective consciousness of mortals either as they come to worship different specific things such as the sun and ocean, from specific souces like the god of a single volcano or river, or from truly mortal constructs like deception, war, and love. They tend to be very passive, but their worshipers tend to be very territorial and will fight the faiths of other similar gods, such as an eleven sun god and a human sun god. As their existence is entirely powered by mortal worship, they will become active if a threat to their worshipers arises.

The fanatical gods, often called hybrid gods by the primordial, also arise from the thoughts of mortals. The arise when mortals desire more specific aspects from another gods domain, such a a god of disease from death or lava from both earth and fire. Due to the specific nature of their worship they usually seek to rapidly expand and maintain their worship, making them far more active than others.

The risen gods are mortal souls granted divine power by mortals after they've passed on. Their level of activity ranges greatly based on why their were so worshiped. A god of humanity may be the founder of a great human empire who is now worshiped passively by all humans, but a paladin who died fighting an evil lich may rise as a god to those who hunt the undead and actively campaign against their still living foe. Risen gods can also be killed by each other or exceptionally powerful mortal, so they are often cautious about intervening directly against powerful forces and other god.
>>
>>51542099
Post it to me and I'll tell you exactly why it's shit, thus saving 15 hours of your life.
>>
>>51542099
There's only so much "testing" that can be done through theoretical comparison to other classes, crunching numbers etc. there's some component that can only come through actual play.

One concept (that I've been meaning to start if I ever get time) is to skip all the roleplay garbage and just run the class through a dungeon crawl(or really just a straight transition from fight to fight to rest to fight), following expected encounters/day and shit and comparing with fellow/similar party members/party compositions. And then you repeat for different levels of play.
>>
>>51540676
DND threads so bad you steal the images from MTG threads
>>
>>51541379
I like to have the avatars of gods not only extremely limited in power, but liable to cause problems for themselves if they raise a stink. The idea is mostly that being noticed by the competition in that form leaves them dangerously vulnerable in not obvious ways. They might go around and seduce maidens as a goose or whatever, but they won't dare to lead armies.
>>
So in my setting the Queen of the kingdom the players start in gets married to a Bandit Lord from the Northern Desert. They start in-town when the Queen and Bandit Lord are going through town with a parade celebrating their marriage.

One of my players said "i am on a quest to assassinate the Bandit Lord for atrocities he committed"

Which is fair, he's known as the Bandit Lord, people would assume he's a wicked man.

This player is level 1. He's a monk. We ended the last session infront of the castle gate.

I worry he is legit going to try and kill this guy at level 1, he's the kind of player who would try and do this. But he wouldn't beable to. This "Bandit Lord" would be a very high level character if he was a PC, ~level 20. He some combination of Ganondorf from Legend of Zelda and and Mua'dib from Dune. A Psionic Warrior King from the Desert who uses dark magic psychic powers.

What do I do if the player tries to kill this NPC? The NPC would literally 1 shot the guy, so i dont want to kill him. But i don't want him to get thrown into jail either because i dont want to take agency away from my player. Even if i do something that lets him escape, he'll be on the run not only from the Kingdom's Knights who are Power Rangers, but also from the Bandit Lord's Rogues who are Fedykin from Dune. The queen actually loves the Bandit Lord too, and she's like...20th level Dragonborn Paladin with a robotic arm that shoots lazers.

I just don't see a resolution that will be fun for the player. Either he's dead, in prison, on the run, or exiled from this kingdom. What do?
>>
>>51542152
Could probably get Heavy Armor Master and still dual wield.
Though excluding more nova options, wouldn't Dueling give me more bang for my buck overall?
Seeing as it'd give me constant +6 damage instead of +4.
>>
>>51541379
>If a god decides to do something, what could the party possibly do to contribute to or hinder that?

I'm sorry your life is so out-of-control. I know you feel at the mercy of forces beyond and outside of your control. You would never have asked such a stupidly naive question otherwise.

I sincerely hope you grow strong enough to slay your demons.

Good luck.
>>
>>51542359
The monk would know at least vague information regarding the power level of this guy, stories must have been told of the Bandit Lord's strength/whatever
you could even have a bit of an ooc talk about expectations with the player and work out some shit like "Although his death is my ultimate mission, I am no fool and will not waste my life in vain. I plan to infiltrate his ranks/whatever, and only plan to strike when I am confident in my success."
>>
Who does the concentrating when activating a Spell stored in a ring.
>>
>>51542307
I put it up on dmsguild a while ago in hopes to get some criticism, but the 400 or so people who downloaded ain't said shit

I also posted it here a while back and got some balancing advice, which I put into play

I'll just post the PDF though
>>
Hey meganon do you plan to classify the weapons under simple/martial?
>>
>>51541379
I prefer gods to just be on mortal levels of stats.

Essentially, a god in the material plane is someone who has both created their own plane and has a flow of power from the material plane from worship.

Then, the reasons they don't show up are firstly that they have less control outside of their plane, that they might age/have to feed themselves and their attendants if they don't have a way to prevent that if they stay outside it and that if they're spotted, chances are some followers or minions of another god are going to wander over and smack them the fuck up since they're in a rarely vulnerable state. So, instead, it makes much more sense to make an underling do it for them, such as a semi-powerful angel.

I just dislike overpowered gods as a concept, even if that's supposed to be what a god is. It's just a 'Okay, divine intervention, god makes all your booboos better.' and a reminder that there's always a higher power that can fuck you over at the bat of an eye.
>>
>>51542359
If your player is stupid enough to try and fight this OP bandit lord, have him get beaten and then force him to swear an oath of repayment or something similar to the bandit lord. You don't need to kill him, you could just fib the rules and offer another way to let your player keep playing without detracting too much from whatever story line you thought up of.
>>
Best background?
>>
File: 2749-19295-3530.jpg (12KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
2749-19295-3530.jpg
12KB, 284x284px
>>51542224
>misogynist
>>
>>51542240
Bumpin.
>>
>>51542359
I'd say the campaign should've started somewhere where they aren't immediately surrounded by people ten times their level or worse. Instead, somewhere more upstart such as a large village or something.

But, whatever. You have to drive the monk player to realize he's gonna need a montage of adventuring to get up to the right power level.

If he tries to do it, he's a fucking monk, barely armed and barely armoured. He'd just get shoved away by a guard who'd probably think they'd just a crazy homeless person and not even jail them. If the monk still tries to run up despite being shunted away, he'd probably be hurt by a kick, and then he'll have to decide 'okay, I'm gonna keep going until the guards fucking leave me unconscious or I'm going to be fucking sensible'
>>
>>51542515
>Physick

into_the_trash_it_goes.jpeg
>>
I want to play a sickass spearman, what's the best way to go about this? I've only been in one or two pathfinder games, and a single 5e game so any help will be appreciated.
>>
>>51542709
Battlemaster Fighter + all Polearm feats.

Easy peasy.
>>
File: Lavitz.gif (881KB, 338x270px) Image search: [Google]
Lavitz.gif
881KB, 338x270px
>>51542709
Forgot my sickass spearman gif.
>>
What can get a 5-10 yo female elf wrongfully/rightfully exiled from her society, aswell as cause her disguise herself as a male?
>>
>>51542359
Just before the Monk tries to kill him, some OTHER adventurer, clearly much higher level, pushes past him and makes an attempt to kill the Bandit Lord. Bandit Lord casually obliterates the guy, possibly while pointing out how outclassed the guy was (though I'd personally avoid this, instead have him be somewhat sorry to kill someone so "weak").

If the Monk still wants to fight him now, let him. Sometimes characters have to die.

I actually just had a session where the party rogue started a needless fight, killed a ton of guards/mercenaries, and then tried to talk down the rampaging horde of horsemen sent to kill him afterwards. Nigga got stomped, and he absolutely had it coming. So don't be afraid to kill the character if he does something incomparably stupid after being warned.
>>
>>51542772
How dickish are your elves?
>>
>>51542709
I don't know if it's at all optimal, but going monk 1/fighter x is an interesting take on it I've seen.
>>
>>51542772
I don't know, what constitutes elvish society?
>>
>>51542772
>female

um hate to break it to you....
>>
>>51542790
>>51542818

me and my friends are trying to get into d&d, we haven't had a session yet so not much is really set in stone.
>>
>>51542772
Depends on the society.
Actions that unintentionally resulted in the death of another elf? Theft or desecration of a sacred artifact? Insulting a lord or sabotaging diplomatic efforts with another tribe?

Not being elfy enough?
>>
>>51542772
I honestly can't parse what this is trying to say. Can anyone translate it into english for me?
>>
>>51542568
>oath of repayment

Thanks! I am totally just gonna make this part of the Desert folk culture.

>I have stopped you from stealing my life and now you're life is at my mercy...My life belongs to me, and now so does yours!

>>51542780
>Bandit Lord casually obliterates a stronger assassin, possibly while pointing out how outclassed the guy was.

This works really well too. Maybe if the Monk sneaks into the castle, he can be confronted by the other Assassin who enlists his aid
>Hey, we're both trying to kill this guy. I am [blank] of the assassin's guild from [nearby country], let's work together.

Where the assassin has the intention of using the monk as a decoy/meat shield if things get hairy.

Then have your suggestion result. Followed by Oath of Repayment. But i gotta figure out a way to kill the npc assassin and not the monk. Maybe the Assassin commits sudoku.
>>
>>51542772
Necromancy.
>>
>>51542515
>level 20 feature
It just doesn't work. Firstly, what 'is' a combat? You start a combat with a rat just so you can use succor on spells when you have none left?
Then, it fades away after a combat. Why? Do you tell everyone 'okay, capture that orc and hold him down for a second because if you kill him I'll no longer be able to use succor'?

It just doesn't make sense, even though there's a vague intent. I'd leave it at auto-using succor on everything without the regaining a temporary succor.

Convalesence sounds like it's there to make sure party members just keep getting up after they've been knocked unconscious. When do they gain the HP? The start of the turn? The end?
It sounds awkward to keep track of. 'Oh, yeah, you're gonna get more health, and then more after that later. I guess.'
Out of combat it's basically an upgraded life cleric feature that would be abused for hilarious multiclassing (Life cleric + Convalescence + goodberry = GODBERRY)

Respected practice is okay for a ribbon feature, I suppose. DMs can already roleplay 'oh, wow, you're a healer' but I guess it makes sense if it's about using your profession as leverage to get people to do things.

Other two abilities seem fine enough.

Am I missing something about evocation, or why is soothe an evocation cantrip?

Maybe it's just me but analgesic veil feels like it should last longer but require concentration or something. ... But it's fine, compared to aid it has downsides and upsides.

Cont...
>>
>>51542505
The player using the ring does the concentration

>>51542515
Going to do a read through, writing comments as I have them

standard spellcasting progression, seems pretty light on level features, but that's expected for casters. Missing an 18th level feature
flavor seems to imply int casting (one even implies cha), but uses Wis. I know that Medicine is a Wis skill, but Nature and Religion are Int skills and you don't see an int based paladin or druid walking around.
quick build + equipment + profs imply No damaging options. I get that support is the idea but I don't see anything to do with your action when you're not spending limited resources. "Soothe" doesn't sound like something that scales damage as you level
Copying wizard's spellbook. Another point for "this should really be an int class" Book mechanics are cheaper though? for no reason? gold doesn't really matter too much past the early levels so I don't really understand what meaningful change this is making?
"Overlap" is mentioned, although mechanically the medicinal staff focus is distinct from the druidic staff focus. Might be interesting seeing actual mechanical overlap, but would probably be better to cut the comment and make the focuses a bit more distinct from other categories or just have it use one of the existent categories.
Spellslot example not the best as it can lead to noobs thinking that the 6 spells prepared comes from 4 + 2 slots, but for all I know that comes straight from the phb examples
Succor would be broken if it applied to any other spell type. Not sure if "healing spell" is mechanically sufficiently defined (perhaps "spell that restores a creature's hit points"?) and/or if there are any spells that both heal and do some offensive effect, which could break this ability. Seems nifty, but not sure how useful it would be in real play/if it's worth existing as a core class feature. I'm reminded of life clerics that get half this feature (more or less, by through half frequency)
>>
>>51542842
If she was the child of a traitor, she might be exiled while her guilty parent is executed. Similarly, if she's a wizard, fighter or other class which would learn the tricks of their trade from an experienced teacher, her teacher could have been a criminal or traitor instead.

The advantage of the treasonous parent thing is that the disguise comes naturally. Of course the lost child of the traitor family would choose to avoid any and all recognition by covering any familial resemblance and relation to her past by pretending to be the opposite gender
>>
>>51542962
>But i gotta figure out a way to kill the npc assassin
"Too bad for you, Bandit Lord! I had Boneitis!"

He then crumples into a horrible pretzel.
>>
I'm a newbie DMing a game of newbs. The lv4 ranger is putting out way more damage than the lv4 fighter, has just as much health, and has spells and feats. Is it supposed to be like this? How can I add situations where the fighter can shine?

>Ranger
Two weapon fighting(short swords) + Colossus Slayer + hunter's mark = (1d6+5)+(1d6+5)+ (1d8)+ (2d6)every round
Mobile feat avoids most AoO

>Fighter
Two weapon fighting (handaxe) + superiority die = (1d6+5) + (1d6+5) + (1d8@3/short rest)
>>
>>51542842
Best course is a focus on hiding her identity. Being forced from ones inheritance on pain of death is a time honored trope, you just need to tweak the details a bit. Requires cooperation with the DM though, since it creates something possibly valuable to be had in your backstory. You *can* scale the idea down, but if it isn't important it's harder to justify going so far as to hide ones gender.

My suggestion is that she is a lesser member of a hated noble family that got routed from power and hunted down for reasons. That way there's nothing much to claim, just a reason to hide and maybe an ax to grind.
>>
>>51542937
What sort of crime would a five-to-ten-year-old elf have to be convicted of to be exiled from her community?

The part about disguising herself as male is incidental to the question.

>>51542772
The real answer is that it's impossible for an elf that young to commit a crime. The elven age of majority is 100, and a ten-year-old elf is still an infant. Even ten-year-old human would not legally be considered an adult, and therefore any punishment would be left to his or her parents.
>>
>>51543036
Probably guilt by relation. It's not like Anastasia was guilty of anything herself.
>>
>>51543036
Thanks, it was that last half throwing me for a loop
>>
>>51542772
>5-10 year old elf
That's like an infant in elf years. Who exiles a baby?
>>
>>51542515
Cont...
Nurse practitioner seems fine enough, but the cantrips learned options are scarce - soothe is overwhelmingly the best option here, I'd think.
I'd give it all of those cantrips rather than just one.

Well, to be honest, I'll just say it now.
I don't think a healer-focused archetype is good for 5e.
It's too much in the way of a 'wizard, except healing'.
Thing is, death saves already interact awkwardly with healing. Healing is already not entirely so fun to do, and unlike something like casting fireballs around there are less creative things you can do with it compared to using a fireball to.. Heat a stove or something absolutely retarded.

No, in fact, it's somewhere between a cleric and wizard - it's a cleric that sacrifices their armour and durability and such in exchange for what should be more power. It also loses stuff like spirit guardians.

I mean, I'm not saying it's terribly inbalanced or the design is bad or anything, but it just doesn't feel like it fits in properly, and already the cleric has a lot more fluff going for them with the domains, more versatility in combat since they can afford to get close and personal...

But at the same time, I suppose I would actually like to see healers that aren't tough with heavy armour and all that. I like the casters to be squishier and needing protection.

So I'm not sure. It still feels like a life cleric's better off though, dealing damage and then healing out of combat.
>>
>>51542772
>elf girl disguising as a boy
>implying anyone knows or cares what gender a particular elf is
>>
File: Elves.png (383KB, 900x563px) Image search: [Google]
Elves.png
383KB, 900x563px
>>51542772
>female elf disguise herself as a male elf?
So no change at all then.
>>
>>51543151
Eh, it's hard to anticipate what the cultural gender expectation is. Even when body types are similar, hair and dress can count for much.

For a kid though, it's probably just a matter of not wearing skirts.
>>
>>51540676
GOD FUCKING DAMN FIX THE FUCKING PASTEBIN
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>>
>>51542998
I'm going to use this, but not have it be a disease. Probably have this assassin's Master be like a Sith Lord and because he failed, his master killed him from afar.

>Too bad for you, Bandit Lord! I serve Baron of the Deep, Bonitictus!

then he crumbles into a horrible pretzel.

Thanks!
>>
>>51543219
Giving pants to young children is a relatively modern practice.
>>
>>51542515
>>51542972
Cont.

and life clerics get plenty else with their lives, being a subclass.
As before, all the healing shit would be potentially broken if it did anything but heal, but it doesn't so it's vaguely shitty. So far, this class fails at every single thing Life Cleric does right. Those can heal, sure, and they're damn good at it, but they can still do proper support casting (unlike healing, which can only delay the inevitable if used at this quantity) like no other as well as always having Sacred Flame to fall back upon
Reword the 20th level feature to match the wording Monks or Battlemasters or whoever else you stole this from. Yes, that means everyone gets a bit more healing out of combat, no, that doesn't matter, they're at level 20.
Restoration section.
"healing cantrips"? I'm sorry? Scrolling down, I see the description for Soothe.
Much like the rest of this class, Soothe is useless unless you buff it heavily, at which point it will be broken.

I'm done reading. Personally think the design ideal (a best healer that only has shit that lets it heal) is inherently flawed for 5e. Right now you've constructed a worse Cleric that's flavored as and steals mechanics from a worse wizard, which altogether makes a worse bard. It's clearly an arcane caster, and you should stop pretending that it's anything but. Looks like a bore to play as its primary focus isn't even support, but making losing fights last twice as long.
>>
>>51543252
are you implying that children should go pantsless?
>>
What are you favorite cantrips, and is a melee caster who only uses cantrips a viable build?
>>
>>51543219
>Eh, it's hard to anticipate what the cultural gender expectation is.
They're elves m8. Both genders have the same hair stiles and clothing styles.
>>
>>51543101
>>51542515
Anyway, third post continuing on,

>cambium tincture
I don't think the stuff that affects crafting is generally a good idea. It's firstly not good to assume DMs will let you craft things nilly-willy, but I suppose it might be an 'IF your DM lets you craft it' ability.. In which case, it kinda feels like it should be up to your DM how they price it.

>chain heal
if you've two groups of three players huddled together, you're healing 7.5 (normal) + 16 (chain heal) HP to each of them. .. Hm..
Well, no, that's fine, just interesting. I dread to imagine players huddling together like that all the time and getting blasted with AoEs.

>familiar with spell slots
Oh gosh, I'm thinking the familiar line might just become the best through action economy, even if the others have some interesting bonus to healing features, I guess the familiar can already use soothe a load in combat.

Oh, speaking of soothe again, it should probably have a limit of being used on a person only once before they're hurt again.

>dissipation
The fluff on dissipation just sounds weird considering it barely sacrifices itself at all, just goes away for a moment.

So I guess it's-

>saving throws
>dexterity and wisdom
Holy fuck please tell me you didn't write this I was just about to have a heartfelt speech about a healer's place in 5e and whether it belongs and then I see this sit
>>
>>51543288
reading comp = 0
>>
>>51543288
Old times, when families had 10 kids, all Children wore dresses till 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)
>>
>>51540676
They aren't. All religious knowledge is second-hand, coming from prophets and the like. Everyone thinks everyone else's gods aren't real. The high authorities within the dominant church are disconcertingly secretive, and the doctrine changes all the time. Divine magic is the only thing that you might call a material expression of a higher power, and it's ambiguous as to whether or not that's actually how it works; my character is full of doubt and uncertainty about his faith, and yet the spells work fine as long as he goes through the motions.

And I love it this way. Believing in something you can prove the existence of is easy; you need doubt, or at least the potential for it, for a story about religion to really be interesting.
>>
>>51542515
>>51543333
>dexterity and wisdom saving throws
Holy fuck I could have saved myself so much more of the time I wasted on this shit if I had read this earlier.
>>
>>51543397
>>51543333

I based the Dex / Wis saves off the Wizard (which is Dex / Int probably, can't recall off the top of my head)

Would Wis / Int be better?
>>
If I'm a blade singer and cast GFB, can I still make the Extra Attack?
>>
>>51543431
Ah, no, it's Wis and Int.

I'll make it Wis and Int in the next update

(now onto reading the critiques)
>>
>>51543451
nope
>>
>>51543451
Yes, if your DM is fucktarded in the head and seems to believe you can do obviously broken shit.

No, if you read the rulebook.

Casting GFB takes an action. It is not part of the 'attack' action.
>>
>>51543431
Each class has a common save (Dex, Con and Wis) and an uncommon save (Str, Int and Cha). Wizards have Wis and Int. Dex and Wis would be considered OP.
>>
>>51543499
>>51543451
Actually, disregard that.

You CAN cast GFB and then make an extra attack attack action, for a total of three attacks.
If you know how to.

>>51543431
>>51543472
The violent reaction is that one of the signs of a homebrew who has no clue what they're doing is two good saves or two bad saves instead of a good save and a bad save.
Other signs of bad homebrew includes 'not understanding spellcasting progression' and some classics like 'making the DM roll far too many dice'. But the only issue here was the saves, as mentioned.
>>
>>51543509
You're not wrong, but
>STR is a weak save meme
Pretty sure every game I've played in has seen more Strength saves made than Con or Wis.
>>
>>51543431
Yes, but the fact that you don't know basic class balance/etc. shit like >>51543509 says that you don't understand how to homebrew/balance/etc. in general and as such the other anon and I really didn't have to/shouldn't have spent so much time critiquing something which we could have known from the getgo to be shit.
>>
>>51543549
It's not weak, it just less likely to come up in general. That doesn't mean in all games though Mr "arguing from personal experience".
>>
>>51543554
Thanks for missing it then
>>
>>51543549
To copy and paste a forum post from somewhere about frequency of saves in monster manual

'Strength saves 34 times,
Dexterity saves 87 times,
Constitution saves 120 times,
Intelligence saves 3 times,
Wisdom saves 57 times,
Charisma saves 4 times.

Notes
Almost (all?) of the strength saves were of the "or be knocked prone" or "be pulled" variety.
Dexterity saves seemed to be of the "or take damage" variety.
Intelligence saves are bad to fail.
Wisdom saves are often fear-based effects.
Charisma saves are of the "or reveal certain information" kind.'

Basically, strength is the 4th most common and the effects are generally just becoming prone/being pulled about. Nothing like 'you become paralyzed'.
>>
>>51543012
Two weapon fighting doesn't shine unless on rangers rogues and a magic initiate hex martial. Fighters are better at making more and harder hitting attacks.

Imagine you are an elephant trying to swim faster than a fish. You aren't really built for it.

Fighter also doesn't have Dual Wielder for extra AC and more damage.

Your ranger knows how to play the game, your fighter either doesn't or has a specific concept in mind; in either case though when he starts bitching about the damage differences then please give him a greatsword.
>>
>>51541628
Get medium stealthy armor, wield a greatsword, sneak attack 23 poison + 2d6+4 slashing + 2d8 radiant = 43 damage at third level
>>
>>51542612
Folk hero
>>
File: Richard the Rogue.jpg (746KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Richard the Rogue.jpg
746KB, 1400x1000px
Reposting for posterity.
>>
>>51543012
Once level 5 hits two-weapon-fighting becomes less useful.

Also, I hope you know hunter's mark takes a bonus to cast and transfer while two-weapon-fighting takes a bonus action to make the second attack of, and since the target of hunter's mark is likely to die and get transferred a lot, that's a lot of bonus actions to keep it going around.

And, naturally, a strength fighter shouldd consider picking up PAM or GWM sometime.

Two-weapon-fighting is actually good with the fighting style until level 5, and then it's shit, ESPECIALLY for the fighter considering they'll get even more attacks at level 11 and they have access to more feats that'll let them do things better than two-weapon-fighting.
>>
How about this as an addition to champion's 7th level ability?

>You can spend 10 minutes in physical exercises and bodily preparation. When you do so, you gain benefits similar to a Enhance Ability spell, choosing between Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength or Cat's Grace. You must still maintain concentration on it for the duration. Once you do so, you can't do it again until you finish a long rest.

Sounds good? It fits the flavor for the subclass, at least.
>>
>>51542401
Dueling only works if you have 1 weapon equipped. If you want two weapons in your hands you will want Two Weapon Fighting.
>>
>>51543012
Feats basically create ivory tower game design for martials. Pick up GWM/Sharpshooter or deal with X is beating up Y.
>>
Need some inspiration so: What's your favourite (magic) item you've encountered while playing DnD?
>>
>>51543816
>>51543012
Actually, just kidding, it's still shit before level 5 because it works poorly with action surge, bonus action can still be used on second wind and it's honestly just maul but worse.

More importantly, it seems odd you're using +5s. Have they both attained 20 in stats by level 4, especially when one of them is probably a variant human?
Fucking rolling for stats.

>>51543831
That's not so bad, actually, I suppose. Though the problem is you're giving fighters potentially advantage AND half their proficiency to initiative. But eh, they have to prepare for it and maintain concentration. Advantage on athletics is.. I can imagine it making fighter11/rogueX more of a thing, but that already competes with barbarian, so sure.
>>
>>51541628
Go variant human and get PAM you fucking scrub and tell your DM to stop fucking rolling for stats
>>
>>51543857
Book of Wit. When you cast a spell you can change one letter of the spells title which will alter how the spell is cast. Call lightning became ball lightning, pretty much fireball but lightning damage. You may make this change and only use it once.

Other ideas included Bitch Bolt Sex Cold Person and Dire Shield
>>
>>51540676
Why aren't there any two-handed finesse weapons?
>>
>>51543959
How would Sex work?
>>
>>51543831
I say get rid of the 10 minutes. That demands a lot of prep for some cases and would rarely be seen. Make it 1 Minute or 1 Action.
>>
>>51542612
Charlatan is pretty great because it offers you Advantage on two skill checks in a specific situation. But basically, it gives you advantage. Fantastic.

I think Sage is good too because while you may not know information, it explicitly states you know where to find said information. Depends on the game. Lots of dungeon crawling and combat? Not so great. Otherwise, fantastic, you always know where you need to go, no dead ends for roleplaying here.

Noble(Knight) gives you 3 NPCs to control which is fantastic, just alot of fun to make some silly retainers.

Criminal/Spy is great, but requires a really active player, and requires a DM who promotes that kind of content.
>>
>>51542612
Sailor(Pirate)
>>
>>51543891
I was honestly more worried they'd choose Bear's Endurance all the time for the extra temp HP. But now that I consider Cat's Grace gives advantage to Initiate, besides Stealth, I can see it being very useful to a low Dex fighter. But that was pretty much the idea anyway, giving them an active out-of-combat option that fits the theme of Champion.
>>
>>51543979
Because dexterity is a strange concept. It can help you pull a 150 lb longbow, but not swing an axe. It can help you stab with a 2.5 lb rapier, but not a 2.5 lb longsword.
>>
>>51543989
First off the top of my head idea is wisdom save against target. On a failed save the target thinks you and it had intercourse at some previous occasion. It lasts for one hour and when it ends the individual knows it was magically misguided.
>>
>>51543857
Gag items are the best

>Find a rope. It's a magical rope!
>Identify it as a 'Climbing Rope'. What's a magical climbing rope?
>Paladin doesn't care, is super excited, plans to scale a keep wall with it
>Take out climbing rope, attach hook, throw it at the wall
>Instead of heading for the top of the wall the rope suddenly comes alive and starts grappling, then restraining our Paladin
>He's failing his saves left right and center, the rope has him prone and restrained as it "climbs" all over him
>Paladin is shouting at us to help, the rest of the party is just laughing at him
>Rope starts climbing a tree with the Paladin, party is now in hysterics as he hangs upside down from a branch
>Eventually the rope stops moving, it takes us like 20 minutes to get his ass down from the tree safely

And now the party uses it to abduct people by saying "here hold this end of the rope - no wait, this is backwards, toss me that end" because they're evil dicks
>>
>>51543979
Cause then strength wouldn't be a contender anymore and it would literally be the worst option, with no more excuses. You pick strength so you can hit the hardest with the biggest weapons.
>>
Why don't rogues get a second attack? Is it because of Sneak Attack?
>>
>>51544087
Yes.
>>
>>51543959
>"Bitch Bolt" Sex "Cold Person" and "Dire Shield"
Where does Sex fits there?

>>51543994
The idea was make it a pseudo-ritual and have some semblance of logical flavour to explain how the champion got so much better at doing that kind of stuff. In the game I DM they usually have time to cast rituals, so if they can stop 10 minutes for Detect Magic I'm sure they could stop for Enhance Ability too.
>>
>>51544087
That and their second attack can come from an offhand weapon
>>
>>51544094
Hex, drop H, add S.
>>
>>51544094
Sex instead of Hex
>>
>>51544039
omg this is the best thing ever. Totally stealing this.
>>
>>51544021
I'd probably word it instead as, after spending 10 minutes doing their exercises,
'You have advantage on all strength, dexterity and constitution skill checks you have proficiency in for the next hour, but youmust concentrate on this like it were a spell'.
If you want to bump it up, you could extend that to saves as well, I suppose.
>>
>>51543842
Aye I know, that was what I was saying, won't dueling be more bang for the buck INSTEAD OF TWF.
Mostly because TWF in 5e is horrendously shit.
>>
>>51544087
It gives them a reason to use two-weapon-fighting, and otherwise they'd have to weaken the rogue's extra attack or delay sneak attack's progression.

Instead, it's something multiclassed rogues get.
>>
>>51543811
>screencapping your own post
Why?
>>
>>51543778
It's 2d10+paladin level unless you crit, so it won't nova that hard.

>>51543927
How about you get fucked?
If I wanted the opinion of an autistic sperglord, I would've asked for the opinion of an autistic sperglord.
>>
>>51544174
It's unless you have advantage. Which is why you wear medium armor, and sneak.
>>
>>51544157
I liked how it turned out, for something I wrote at 1am.
>>
>>51544136
Everyone does dueling, so you will be doing what everyone else is.

Also TwF is the only way to do 11d8+15 at level 5 as a paladin, I call it the Alpha Strike. Three attacks with d8s. 20 Str or Dex, 2 level 2 smites for 6d8 and 1 level 1 for 2d8.
>>
>>51544187
Oh. Well that's even crazier than I remembered.
>>
>>51544216
Well, as I said earlier, wouldn't Dueling be more benificial outside of gimmicky nova when dumping every smite slot you've ever got into a round, since it's more consistant damage?

Also, in all of the campaigns I've been in thus far with my group, none of them has gone with dueling.
>>
>>51544117
>>51544118
Oooh, gotcha.

>>51544128
>You have advantage on all strength, dexterity and constitution skill checks you have proficiency in
But champions have half-proficiency in all physical checks. I assume that wouldn't count? I guess that works too, but I like the idea of giving them a choice.
>>
Why are you guys so in love with PAM?
>>
>>51544069
Why would it not be a contender? The weapon die would be a maximum of 1d10 since you can't put the heavy property on them (at least not logically), as opposed to the 1d12 or 2d6 of the STR weapons. And along with that, why aren't there any solely Light martial weapons? It would mean that STR builds could finally duel wield.
>>
>>51544246
If it's only strength, it's between dexterity and strength, so there's not much to choose from.

The issue is after you mentioned it it does sound like it'd get abused just for the temporary HP, the fighter always telling everyone to wait up while they do exercises for more temporary HP.
>>
>>51544273
Mostly because it's mechanically pseudo-TWF but better and you can do it with a 1h because fucking quarterstaves are retarded.
Which means you'll get Dueling for +2 damage and +2 AC since you can have a shield on top of having PAM.

tl;dr, it's an unbalanced feat that is mechanically the most optimal for any martial more or less and it's annoying as fuck.
>>
>>51544273
Because it's reach, it's 1d4+Str more damage, it gives a more reliable reaction attack, it can combo with GWM to do retarded damage, you can do tunnel fighter Sentinel bullshit, it's in the same circle as Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert/GWM.

It's just math.
>>
>>51543979
There are stats for a katana that sometimes get thrown around that's
'1d10 two-handed finesse', essentially

It's not broken, it's just terribly boring
it's +1 damage to rapier rogues (who are already the better melee rogues) who somehow get proficiency in it
and then otherwise it's only good for wizards and such at lower levels who wouldn't have proficiency in it

Considering shields exist, it would be a super niche item. Even if you make it a 1d12, the fact it doesn't work with any feats makes it less desirable than simply going shield+rapier or a polearm.
>>
File: barbarianoptionslevel5.png (56KB, 707x594px) Image search: [Google]
barbarianoptionslevel5.png
56KB, 707x594px
>>51544273
Because it's up to two extra attacks that add strength modifier, other damage modifiers like IDS and rage damage and can use GWM's extra damage. And it even works with quarterstaves that work with shields and shillelagh.
>>
>>51544243
It is more consistent if you have longer more resource drained fights. If the DM you have likes to have once a day fighting where you can have about 3-5 rounds total of combat a day with hard hitting monsters, then TwF is Better cause it lets you burn your smites. But if you can count on over a dozen rounds of combat per day, then dueling will be better.
>>
>>51544293
That was my initial worry, but after what the other anon said you have to weigh those temp HP against adv on both Stealth and Initiative, which is pretty great too. Or all around advantage on grappling, shoving, lifting etc without having to rage.
>>
Two guys are pissed off because I did a TPK

>meet a green dragon
>lolololol kill dragon!
>act all aristocratic as the dragon
>they shit talk the dragon
>one player intimidates, nat20
>"flying rat, go crawl into some other hole before we kill you."
>give the dragon an extremely sarcastic line
>"of course, it would be unbecoming of a dragon to be such a poor host, by all means, take my treasure, I'll take my leave"
>day later
>ranger is aware they are being stalked by something
>warlocks imp dies randomly
>they decide to camp out in the woods
>they all eat a poison breath as they are asleep
>3 that failed perception and con die out right
>fighter and ranger get their shit slapped and killed
>dragon knocks out warlock
>wakes him up, impales him with a claw
>"looks like I found a hole"
>rips him in two
>flies off
>>
>>51544371
Both of my DM's have a tendency to do 7 - 10 fights per day.
>>
>>51544382
Heh. Who was pissed off?
>>
File: barbarianchart2.png (29KB, 707x594px) Image search: [Google]
barbarianchart2.png
29KB, 707x594px
>>51544355
Oh, and since I've always been worried about people saying 'but you can't assume you'll get reaction attacks THAT often!' or 'My GWM fighter kills stuff ALL THE TIME so gets MORE bonus actions' I made a more GWM favourable less PAM favourable graph.
>>
>>51544387
Then you once again have your answer
>>
>>51544382
love it when stupid fucking PCs go all murderhobo on dragons

Clump up just once and you're pretty much all dead, fuckerz.
>>
>>51544376
The problem is not every party will stealth a lot and not all fighters will go around grappling considering that'd be better if they had rogue levels and a weapon that could attack one-handed and a champion wouldn't use a one-handed weapon, but...

I suppose those are still possibilities, so maybe it isn't so bad. 2d6 isn't a lot.

>>51544387
That's impressive compared to most DMs I've seen do 0-2 fights a day.
>>
>>51544382
>they all eat a poison breath as they are asleep
Nobody kept watch?
>>
>>51544355
>>51544434
Are these based on Frenzy? or at least choosing that path? I'd send to my barbarian player but he chose totem.
>>
>>51541485
Triton ancients paladin
Or a halfelf cha caster
>>
What are ways you've refluffed classes and races?

I always liked the idea of a spellcaster whose power comes from an obsession, so I played a Sorcerer like a huge Dragonboo. He just fucking wanted Dragon-Magic so fucking bad that it eventually shaped his power down those lines. It's also the only way I can see a Gunmage Sorcerous archetype working.
>>
>>51544120
I love gag items.

Marbles of Madness - A bag of 50 marbles. No matter how many times you count them, you never reach 50. As an action you can throw a handful of marbles on the floor (see rules for ball bearings). At dawn, the bag has 50 marbles again. At least, you think it's 50. Maybe try counting them.

Arrow of Marking - Does no damage but if the target fails on a DC15 wisdom save they become convinced their name is "Mark" for 1 hour. Creatures with an int of 4 or less auto-succeed.

Writers Block (literally a wooden block covered in incomplete words) - While on your person you become immune to charm effects, but suffer disadvantage on all intelligence checks

Huge Fan (a large wooden hand fan) - Improvised 2H weapon, 1 bludgeoning; When opened and held, the fan chants your name and sings your praises. On a successful hit, grants you 1d8 that can be used as if you were given bardic inspiration. This inspiration is lost when the fan is dropped or closed.
>>
>>51544382
>failed perception
But there is no perception roll, they use their passive perception.

Wouldn't their tents keep them from half the brunt of the poison gas or did they not even invest in proper camping equipment?

Didn't any of them take watches?

'Alarm' is a fucking ranger spell. Goddamnit.

Honestly, they kinda deserve it.
>>
>>51544329
Gotta love that a Katana is finesse, but a longsword isn't. Logic, people. Fucking logic.
Anyways.

>it's +1 damage to rapier rogues (who are already the better melee rogues) who somehow get proficiency in it
They wouldn't get proficiency in it, no.

>otherwise it's only good for wizards and such at lower levels who wouldn't have proficiency in it
Or melee DEX fighters that want to use a two-handed weapon?

>Considering shields exist, it would be a super niche item.
Sure, but so is a mace, and that is still in the PHB.

>Even if you make it a 1d12, the fact it doesn't work with any feats...
I don't have an eidetic memory, so I'm not entirely sure, but if I recall, there are feats specifically for two-handed weapons.

>...makes it less desirable than simply going shield+rapier or a polearm.
You could go polearm, since you're a DEX character and there are no finesse polearms. And as far as shield+rapier go, 1. maybe you don't want piercing damage, 2. maybe you prefer more damage over a shield, and 3. maybe you just want to have a DEX character that wields a two-handed weapon because you don't care about build optimisation, you care about fun characters.
>>
>>51544536
>I don't have an eidetic memory, so I'm not entirely sure, but if I recall, there are feats specifically for two-handed weapons.
The only feats that are important are GWM, which cares about heavy, and polearm master, which lists individual weapons.
>>
>>51544536
>melee dex fighters that want to use a two-handed weapon?

Why? Why would you take +1 damage and incompatibility with duelling over a shield?

There are no feats for two-handed weapons. Only heavy, specific polearm or ranged weapons. Then again, there might be some in an UA somewhere but those are all kinda trash probably.

>don't want piercing damage
Unless your DM is super anal about things and monster hunting, it's unlikely to show up compared to, say, slashing.
>more damage over a shield
+1 damage. Plus fucking one damage. It's jack shit.
>don't care about build optimisation
Well, in which case, it's okay, but edgy.
>>
>>51544273
It's a feat for optimizers. It works really well on a line graph. In actual play it has a lot of issues and isn't especially fun, and it's also a little like the un-fun weapon-specific specialization/feat rules that restricted your ability to use most of the magic weapons you found.
>>
>>51544649
>has a lot of issues

What, like using bonus actions?
You rage once a combat. A paladin might use a bonus action.. Sometimes, at best. A fighter might have a second wind they can use after combat anyway. Those classes rarely get reaction attacks anyway, so they have spare reactions, and by using a 10ft reach polearm you can attack and then move back so the enemy can only proc your reaction if they come towards you.

And, really, DMs shouldn't be throwing magic weapons everyehwere. If they are, you should be able to alter one or affix one to the end of a pole.
>>
>>51544599
Well that just seems like a bad time for people who want to wield two-handed melee weapons in general, than.

>>51544603
Well, in which case, it's okay, but edgy.

My real point of asking this question in the first place is because the last times I've asked it, people have shoved off the idea for being "OP", but not explaining why at all. I'm fine with it being underpowered, and clearly WotC are okay with making some weapons just objectively worse than others, so why didn't they include some in the game? Makes no sense to me.
>>
>>51544509
Those aren't gag items, those are pun items. Gag items would be funny.
>>
>>51544705
The bonus action economy wasn't what I was thinking of. I was thinking more of how you really want monsters to come to you instead of you coming to them, which leads to you bossing the party around and trying to prevent them from going ahead of you. Your party loses turns in the long run because either they go ahead of you and you waste your turn, or you successfully keep them from going ahead of you and everyone else wastes their turn.

If magic items are scarce, that's all the more reason you'll want to actually use what you find. If your fighters are married to crossbows and polearms because they took the feats for them, they're going to piss and moan when all they find in your low-magic world is a magic greatsword and a magic longbow.
>>
>>51544382
I love you
>>
>>51544861
You're already the frontline. Your other party members are likely fighting at range.
If you want enemies to come to you, you stand 5ft behind an ally. If an enemy moves in range to attack that ally, you then hit them whilst that ally is already ahead of you.
Your only issue is getting away from enemies when you're already within 5ft, and even then sometimes enemies might be moving about.

Aside from that, even if you don't get your reaction, you still have a strong bonus action attack.

It's not the fighter's fault that to be a good fighter and to try to keep up with the competance of those who don't use weapons such as fullcasters they have to specialize in a weapon with feats. It's practically hardcoded into their class that they're feat-gobblers.

If you're throwing +1 or +2 weapons , or even +3 weapons around, you're playing 5e wrong. Magic weapons aren't about upgrading the characters, they should be about making combat more interesting, more diverse by expanding options and serving to have relevance to the plot by perhaps being something the players need to kill something specific. Not just power upgrades, so they can't whine if they have to sometimes switch out for a longsword because it's not often.
>>
Stupid Q: Are there any categories of magic besides Arcane and Divine?
>>
>>51544996
Nature? (kind of divine but not. depends on your defininiton.)

Also, ki is kind of but not really.

Psionics are magic-esque. More like able to produce magic effects with mental fuel.
>>
I've been feeling iconoclastic about house rules and was wondering what the opinion of the DMs of 5eg would be for this one.

I'm basically either removing armor proficiencies altogether (anyone can wear them, armor still interferes with various sources of magical armor), or making it a two tier proficiency, where being proficient just counts for medium (minus hide and chain shirt) and heavy. They were questionable already in older editions, but of all the rules that the game has been stuck with since launch, it's probably the most retarded.

In either case I'm moving shields to martial weapon proficiency instead, where it actually should have been from the beginning of 3e.

At this point I'm not even particularly certain whether this breaks anything big; armor spells will still probably make most arcane casters lean for little to no armor, dex builds are still going to favor light armor, and I think only two specialties even get heavier armor as a trait, which I can probably largely ignore.
>>
5e could really use a Zen Archer, so I made one.

What's broken here?
>>
>>51544957
What kind of magic weapon it is doesn't matter as much as whether it's magic or not. Resistance to nonmagical weapons is common even at low levels, and at the middle levels it becomes so common that it's no longer factored in as part of a monster's defensive strength. You need to have some kind of magic weapon on you, which is why it's great that they mostly got rid of weapon focus/expertize/specialization/whatever. If the party finds a magic weapon, no matter what it is, it's very likely that some or all of the party will be happy to use it.
>>
What's the best way to play an arcane trickster?
>>
>>51545162
Being small and hiding completely inside your Minor Illusions
>>
>>51545162
Pick up Greenflame Blade and enjoy having a superior attack to literally every other rogue option.
>>
File: soul knife.jpg (740KB, 818x1013px) Image search: [Google]
soul knife.jpg
740KB, 818x1013px
Rate this Monk archetype.

>but everyone does le soul knife
Which means no one's got it right yet, yeah?
>>
>>51545055
Aha, I found what I was looking for in the rules. PHB 205 has a sidebar on Arcane vs Divine magic:

Arcane = Wizard, Warlock, Sorc, Bard, EK, AT
Divine = Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Pally
Not Magic even though it's basically magic = Ki
Things I can't deal with until WotC makes them official = Psionics

Thanks for reminding me of Ki and Psionics though.
>>
>>51541485

>what the fuck do I make

the world your bitch
>>
>>51545139
It would really dick over classes who can use shields but not martial weapons, especially clerics. I'm assuming you'll still let clerics cast spells in armor, but lots of arcane casters wear armor nowadays, like bards, warlocks, eldritch knights, and arcane tricksters. This would wreck them. And for what purpose? What are the benefits of these changes besides satisfying your autism?
>>
>>51545139

>Armor
>armor still interferes with various sources of armor
Either you're giving any class without armor proficiency free armor, or you're screwing over every caster with it and I can't sufficiently parse this sentence to figure out which. What meaningful change does this make?

>Shields
Why? What's it matter? What's the difference? What does this change accomplish?
>>
There should be a Fighting Style for Versatile weapons. I don't know what it would be, but there should be one.
>>
>>51545243
I could see giving shield as a special weapon prof to clerics the same way rogues and bards get rapier and short sword from martial.

>>51545360
I'm saying scrap armor proficiency as a thing altogether. I'm also saying that as the rules go, casters still have their armor spells and would still stay in clothes as a result for the most part, unless they're bards, clerics or hipsters.
>>
>>51545202
>Soul Knife
>your pact weapon disappears

Make the copypaste less lazy.

You need more at 3rd level than just a summonable weapon. Every other monk has a meaningful feature, that's just a place to put your weapon that isn't on your person.

ALSO: There are no restrictions on the type of weapon this summons, and you're always proficient with it and it's always a monk weapon. You can essentially summon a 1d4 force damage dealing greatsword, for some reason.

>Psionic Arts

Makes sense mostly, but why Gust of Wind? Calm Emotions is absent and it seems like a much more fitting spell.

>Mind Over Matter
>your grasp begins to exceed your reach

That means literally nothing unless you're talking about being able to grapple outside your reach, which you aren't.

The weapon property is "Thrown," not "Throw."

>the psionic weapon can return to your hand as a reaction, but does not use up your reaction for this round

Just write "the psionic weapon can automatically return to your hand with no additional action." Leave reactions out of this, they did nothing to you.

Also, thrown weapons don't make ranged weapon attacks. They make melee weapon attacks, just at range.

Does the other attack your thrown weapon make cost an action? What are the mechanics there?

>Soulrend

Seems alright. Are psionics inherently anti-magic? It seems a little off-theme, but the mechanics function and it doesn't appear visibly imbalanced.
>>
>>51545364
Half-swording.
>>
>>51543543
How do you do so then?
>>
>>51545139
Sounds like more unnecessary rolls, and anyone who wants to play a heavy armour mage has to take off their armour all the time out of combat or in combat just has to accept they could simply just fail to do anything.

I think it'd be better to simply limit multiclassing armour proficiencies.
As it is, it's hard for a wizard to get good armour without multiclassing. They either need three feats and enough strength for heavy armour, or to be a mountain dwarf and use a feat.
Also sounds like it's nerfing clerics or something. Which might not be the worst thing, but..

I'm all for nerfing wizards with a single level dip of fighter.

I'd focus on making it simply harder to do crazy multiclasses for free armour.
>>
If you cast hunter's mark on a creature resistance to nonmagical piercing and shoot it with your mundane bow, does the hunter's mark damage get halved too?
>>
>>51545184

Neat, you don't even really have to be that small, a five foot cube can hold basically anything human sized if they crouch.
>>
>>51545473
>more unnecessary rolls
What?

>anyone who wants to play a heavy armor mage has to take off their armor
Or the simple option being that if they cast an armor spell they get the best AC of either, not the cumulative, which is already how they're stated to work

When I say removing armor proficiencies I mean everyone is considered proficient in any armor (or cutting it down to one "martial armor prof" that fiills both the role of medium and heavy)
>>
>>51545364
What separates versatile weapons (beyond 1-2h obvs) from other weapons and fighting styles?
>>51545424
How does one half-sword a warhammer?
>>
>>51545153
If your DM doesn't suitably provide magic weapons yet all the spellcasters are doing fine and the DM keeps throwing weapon resistant monsters around, you should just retire and become a wizard instead, or suck up to using such an item when such creatures appear. It won't make PAM any less effective when you're not using that weapon.

It's honestly lame to throw a lot of magic resistant enemies around and then have items that simply bypass all of that. Instead, it's much nicer if the DM does things like 'a gaseous monster resistant to all damage except those from a special resonance weapon and area of effect spells' rather than 'a gaseous monster that's resistant to all martial damage unless the martial has a weapon I might or might not have gifted them.'
>>
>>51545364
Here's an easy one I just pulled out of my butt:

>VERSATILE FIGHTING. When you are holding a weapon with the versatile property two-handed and you hit a target with an attack using the Attack action, you may make an additional attack against the target using a bonus action. This additional attack uses the damage die for holding the weapon one-handed, and does not add your modifier to the damage that it deals on a hit.

Consider that TWF (featless) should do 1d6+MOD + 1d6+MOD, for a median damage of 17 (with a maxed modifier). This does up to 1d10+MOD + 1d8 (about), for a median damage of around 15.

Technically slightly worse than TWF, but not inherently broken in any way. Throw in a feat that adds the MOD to the second attack, and it'd be at (feated) TWF's 19 damage median vs. (feated) Versatile's 20 damage median.
>>
>>51540676
Very. They made it, and each one very much wants it for themself.

There is a power economy to it, though. You only invest divine power in a world if the effects of the your actions are going to produce a net profit in worship, or prevent a greater loss.
>>
>>51545527
You half hammer it obviously.
>>
>>51545461
Take levels of sorcerer.
Quickened spell. Alternatively, levels of fighter, action surge.

>>51545524
If a wizard has a 5% chance of failing a spell, you're rolling an extra d20 every time a spell is cast to see if it fails, pretty much.

The deal with it is it's way, way too big an overhaul to completely change armour systems and all that. You're just alienating your players too much from the PHB and confusing things more than they need to be.
Instead, it's easier to cut down on the cases where armour abuse does happen - stop wizards from multiclassing for armour somehow.

There must be a much simpler method for solving the problem.
>>
>>51545527
>How does one half-sword a warhammer
Put your forehand shortly behind the head, and put your afthand where you would normally hold the haft with your forehand. This is actually useful in tight quarters where wide sweeps or overhand swings would be impractical, as you can use the hammer like a miniature ram.
>>
>>51545184
I always believed minor illusions from the cantrip can't move, considering how spells like Silent Image and Project Image go out of their way to say how you can move the illusion to make it look natural (e.g. giving it a walking motion, making it wave).

With minor, you just make a stiff hologram with optional sounds to accompany it.
>>
File: 1450847867388.png (156KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1450847867388.png
156KB, 270x270px
>>51540888
>worships a god of poison and illness
>doesn't willingly become poisoned and sick

get the fuck out of here
>>
>>51545143
Looks good but srsly walrock how many of these do you make a day?

Anyways, thoughts:
-Ranged stunning strikes will be amazingly strong, given that you could fire them at three different targets in a single round. Mebby limit to 1/round (only with your spiritual arrow attack?)
-Spiritual Lance rape (7d10 radiant on dex save) after using stunning strike (auto fail dex saves) for 4 ki gives me a raging hard boner... but that might be a bad sign for balance

Sounds like a fun subclass tho.
>>
>>51545476
No answers?
>>
Curse brainstorming

People are killed and slaughtered by orcs. Players steal this item off of the corpse - almost a hundred years after.

What are some dynamic cool curses?

I'm thinking of calling it "of calamity"
I just can't think of anything creative.
>>
>>51545664
Minor illusion doesn't give rules for moving it, therefore RAW you can't move it.

Anon's point was not that, though. If you're a gnome, say, you can Minor Illusion a bush and hide inside it, since a bush can fit in a 5-foot cube and you're not readily visible while within the bush.

It probably won't matter too much that the object can't animate, as long as it's reasonable for its surroundings. A bush would work well in a forest, or you could be inside an illusory crate at the docks. Either way, it won't stand out.
>>
>>51545650
I recently realized my joke didn't take all of half-swording into account.
>>
File: xeph.png (86KB, 400x455px) Image search: [Google]
xeph.png
86KB, 400x455px
>>51545403
>Make the copypaste less lazy.
Fuck. I thought I caught that.
>You need more at 3rd level than just a summonable weapon. Every other monk has a meaningful feature, that's just a place to put your weapon that isn't on your person.
It's funny, originally I had the psionic weapon at 6th and the spells at 3rd. Maybe allow unarmed strikes to deal Force damage?
>ALSO: There are no restrictions on the type of weapon this summons, and you're always proficient with it and it's always a monk weapon. You can essentially summon a 1d4 force damage dealing greatsword, for some reason.
No restriction was by design. This allows you to summon reach and/or finesse weapons, but still makes their damage controlled by Martial Arts.

>why Gust of Wind? Calm Emotions is absent and it seems like a much more fitting spell.
Gust of Wind seemed like a good "Force Push" sort of spell, but I might switch it out for Calm Emotions.

>That means literally nothing unless you're talking about being able to grapple outside your reach, which you aren't.
Trying to be clever with the reach-exceeds-grasp thing. Didn't work. Will remove.
>The weapon property is "Thrown," not "Throw."
Noted.

>Leave reactions out of this, they did nothing to you.
They killed my father! But seriously, I was trying to avoid free action nonsense. I can switch it to no actions though if I need to.
>Also, thrown weapons don't make ranged weapon attacks. They make melee weapon attacks, just at range.
Hm. Forgot that. Always seemed odd, but I'll make the change.
>Does the other attack your thrown weapon make cost an action? What are the mechanics there?
The intent was to be able to throw your weapon at an enemy, and then it floats there and continues to attack using your other attacks (extra Attack and bonus action) if you want to.

>Are psionics inherently anti-magic? It seems a little off-theme, but the mechanics function and it doesn't appear visibly imbalanced.
Only in meta. Thanks!
>>
>>51545759
Magical I believe. That's how my table called it
>>
>>51545364
Defense Fighting Style already exists.
but I could also just whip up something like:
>Versatile Fighting Style:
>[GWF text, but applies to Versatile weapons instead, and only replaces 1s rolled]
>+1 to damage rolls with Versatile weapons
Should be *slightly* worse than either FS I stole it from, but more...versatile. Not sure about implications of MCing/stacking this with Dueling, but other than that seems fine. Disproportionally boosts qstaff and spear so be a bit wary for that I guess.

>>51545398
What the fuck is an armor spell. Do you mean like mage armor and shit? I better fucking hope you're keeping them

>unless they're bards clerics or warlocks
..or paladins...or rangers...or arcane tricksters...or eldritch knights...
I assume at least, unless you continue to feel like being extra terrible.
So you're getting rid of armor proficiency...except for the part where you're literally keeping it?
Why do either of these changes matter? What do they do?
>>
>>51540676
There are two tiers of divine presence.

There's spirits of place that are sort of worshipped by minor cults. They're known to be everywhere and to be real but for the most part they're also not particularly powerful (back when I used it in 2e, they granted minor spells at most, in 5e terms they're more warlock patrons than full gods on a mechanical level)

High concept philosophical gods are essentially absent if they exist at all as sentient entities, and to muddle things further, there are clerics who get powers from things like worshipping friendship rather than a specific entity, and at least one known brotherhood of more or less atheist clerics more or less modeled on epicurus' academy.
>>
File: Phroilan-Gardner.jpg (72KB, 699x1122px) Image search: [Google]
Phroilan-Gardner.jpg
72KB, 699x1122px
>>51545752
Honestly, most of this is work I already have half-done in some capacity. I had a whole heap of it done before I took a nice long hiatus, right now I'm just finishing what I've started.

>ranged stunning strike

I could see that. I'm still not 100% sure, though, given that you have to spend 1 ki per stunning strike and even then it's a CON save that the enemy can succeed. That seems like the sort of thing that's just being extra-bursty, which Wizards allows (i.e. the entire paladin class).

>Spiritual Lance/stunning strike synergy

Didn't see that, but is both totally hilarious and costs a bunch of ki. Unsure if it's bad enough to warrant changing, noted but I'll wait for more consensus.

Thanks for the feedback!
>>
For the first time in my short DMing experience, I'm going to build a powerful NPC villain from scratch. I want him to be a high level storm sorcerer with ties to blue dragons.

Any advice on how I should go about this?
>>
>>51545774
Ah, I assumed he meant using it to disguise yourself as a larger creature, like a halfling hiding inside an illusory human body.
I've seen people try to pull weird shit with it ("I make a copy of myself and send it walking down the other street"), so I assume the worst.
>>
File: 1450770818798.jpg (69KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
1450770818798.jpg
69KB, 600x424px
>>51544434
ok what are PAM and GWM
>>
>>51545759
Petty sure bonus damage type is always the same as the weapon unless stated otherwise so in this case it would indeed be non-magical piercing.
>>
>>51545917
Polearm and Great Weapon Master feats, respectively.
>>
>>51545917
IIRC polearm mastery, great weapon master.
>>
>>51545594
>If a wizard has a 5% chance of failing a spell
Where did I say I was bringing back spell failure?

>>51545886
>What the fuck is an armor spell. Do you mean like mage armor and shit? I better fucking hope you're keeping them
Mage armor and armor of agathys

Yes, where did I imply they were getting removed? Is illiteracy that rampant on the board?

>..or paladins...or rangers...or arcane tricksters...or eldritch knights...
Half-casters don't count and were already expected to go armored.
>>
>>51544471
Berzerker is barely worth it. If you're a berzerker, there's barely any benefit since you already have bonus action attacks.
>>
File: Galvan the Blue.jpg (58KB, 751x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Galvan the Blue.jpg
58KB, 751x1000px
>>51545910
Forgot pic related.
>>
>>51545898
I would say keep the range stun and either make it short or give it a reasonably high base DC. It being there is imo good. It's just hard to balance.
>>
File: gld129l.jpg (60KB, 660x664px) Image search: [Google]
gld129l.jpg
60KB, 660x664px
Would you as a DM allow a player to use the fluff of a Paladin Oath and the skillset of a different Oath?
>>
Do Eldritch Knights not have to prepare their spells ahead of time?
>>
File: 1486153886341.jpg (328KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1486153886341.jpg
328KB, 1400x1000px
>>51543811
I was bored and hate seeing (you)'s in screencaps
>>
>>51545403
>>51545792

Only bit of this review I have an issue with is
>Also, thrown weapons don't make ranged weapon attacks. They make melee weapon attacks, just at range.
This is false. Thrown weapons make ranged weapon attacks.

This wording is always sorta bullshit but it works well enough if you can keep your terms straight. The (Melee Weapon) makes a Ranged (weapon attack), as opposed to a Ranged (spell attack). I often mentally replace "weapon" and "spell" in this context with "Martial" and "magical". So your melee weapon is making a ranged martial attack, as you're throwing it. It would not make sense to throw your weapon and make a melee martial attack, as you are not attacking in melee, but at range.
>>
>>51545792
>Maybe allow unarmed strikes to deal Force damage?

Wouldn't be great. Unarmed deals magical damage at 6th level, anyway, so having it deal force 3 levels early wouldn't be a huge deal.

Think about what that psionic weapon would do. Make the ability do something appropriate for the weapon you summon.

>No restriction was by design. This allows you to summon reach and/or finesse weapons, but still makes their damage controlled by Martial Arts.

It's weird how this option is called "Soul Knife," but the optimal choice is probably conjuring a whip or a hand crossbow.

>The intent was to be able to throw your weapon at an enemy, and then it floats there and continues to attack using your other attacks (extra Attack and bonus action) if you want to.

You've really got to spell that out. Tell us what it does, exactly, and then what actions it takes to do what it does.
>>
>>51546005
No. Despite using the Wizard list, they're spontaneous casters, like Bards and Sorcerers.
>>
>>51545959
I thought I saw something about arcane something something

What else would you do?

What even is the problem? You just don't like that you have to have training to wear armour without fucking yourself over?
>>
>>51546020
>Thrown. If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon. For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property.

Genuinely unsure. It says "ranged attack," not "ranged WEAPON attack." In theory it could be considered a ranged [melee weapon attack] since it is still an attack with a melee weapon, and not a ranged weapon.

In either case, the phrase "when you make a ranged attack with a weapon that has the thrown property" could be used, and would cover your ass regardless.
>>
>>51545898
Side question: Do you have any tips for writing rules in the official WotC style? It's very meticulous but can also be quite subtle, and I find myself constantly rewriting single sentences just because they don't feel quite right.
>>
>>51546098

This PHB style guide a reddit user made helps out quite a bit:

http://imgur.com/a/CVWj0

Other than that, it's pretty much just practicing and reading how WotC writes things over and over until you get the feel for it.
>>
>>51546098
Just use minimal numbers of words but make sure there's no misinterpretation. Unfortunately anything more than that is a matter of practice, trial and error with things like understanding how to word features (Whether your feature IS the spellcasting feature or ISN'T), how to word attacks (Melee weapon attack, ranged attack, weapon attack) and such.
>>
>>51545988
Smells like metagaming, at least on the surface. It would depend on character's backstory, but the different abilities tend to have thematic links to their oath. eg: Oath of Devotion using Vow of Enmity just wouldn't feel right to me.
>>
>>51545959
People are making assumptions about your idea because you didn't state it clearly enough so that people can reasonably understand it.

Let's try again: What is your idea?
>>
To anyone who has run Storm King's Thunder and went to Bryn Shander, did Duvessa seem a little underpowered in comparison to the rest of the group? I'm transcribing all the NPCs to handouts for my players for tonight, and I noticed she kind of players in comparison to the others. Only 9 health and a scrawny dagger, is her quest just really good so it's harder for her to stay alive? I kinda feel bad for the player who gets handed her to control.
>>
>>51546139
>>51546141
thnks a lot guis

Maybe I will get my hombrew mess released one day
>>
>>51546020

This guy >>51546096 again, just realized why they specified "ranged attack" and not "ranged weapon attack."

Thrown is a property that is ranged-agnostic, and can be applied to either a melee weapon or a ranged weapon. In either case, the attack you're making with thrown is ranged, but some thrown weapons (net, dart) are specifically ranged weapons, while others (dagger, spear) are melee weapons you can make a ranged attack with.

So: yeah, a thrown attack with a dagger is still a ranged [melee weapon attack], and I'm about 90% sure that's the actual intent.
>>
File: Duvessa_Shane.png (253KB, 750x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Duvessa_Shane.png
253KB, 750x1050px
>>51546182
Continuing from before, I'm almost tempted to give her the spell casting features of Naxene from Goldenfields. Wondering how that might backfire.
>>
>>51546028
>Wouldn't be great. Unarmed deals magical damage at 6th level, anyway, so having it deal force 3 levels early wouldn't be a huge deal.
I'm thinking maybe the ability to burn 1-5 Ki Points for 1-5d6 Force damage on a hit? Or perhaps something more akin to Open Hand Technique, where you can force a Wisdom save against something nasty when you hit an enemy with flurry.

>It's weird how this option is called "Soul Knife," but the optimal choice is probably conjuring a whip or a hand crossbow.
Well, knives/dagger kind suck and have almost no support. But the name is a legacy thing. And I specified only melee weapons.

>You've really got to spell that out.
Yeah, I see that now. I thought I was doing better at that, but I need to make the language a lot tighter. Thanks for the input so far though.
>>
>>51546318
>I'm thinking maybe the ability to burn 1-5 Ki Points for 1-5d6 Force damage on a hit?

I like the idea of a Ki-smite. That could be fun.

>Well, knives/dagger kind suck and have almost no support. But the name is a legacy thing.

Yeah, I figured. My solution would've been to make several of the mechanics hinge on using psionic daggers, or to make a special psionic dagger weapon the way the Sun Soul monk does with its sun bolts, considering the UA Kensei does a decent job of covering the monk getting access to additional martial weapons.

>And I specified only melee weapons.

Derp, missed that. My bad. Whip would still be an optimal choice, though, especially if you can manage to get access to the Duelist fighting style.

>Thanks for the input so far though.

No prob. They've said the Soul Knife will get added to the Mystic when they're ever done with that, but I'd like to see a functional one much sooner than "when it's done" (tm).
>>
>>51545143
>Bonus Proficiencies
Completely fine. Keep it.

>Spiritual Archery
- Keep Bonus action for secondary attack
- Make second part a new Ki feature (When you make a ranged attack you can spend ki for bonus damage)
- No spend extra ki for double damage, get rid of that, if the character crits this would be effectively x4 damage
- True strike feels tacked on to the already large amount of things you are getting here, should be removed. I can't see anyone using up ki to true strike an ally, and at that point it's just spend 1 ki for advantage.

>Balanced Bow
Full of Flavor. Wonderful. Keep it.

>Immaculate Lance.
Hell yes. Keep it.

>Exquisite Accuracy
This is a 17th level ability. 'You can reroll one miss with advatage' would be fine.
>>
>>51545364
So it needs to be compared to Dueling + shield imo. Each round, if you 2h a versatile weapon, you can expend your bonus action to either get +3 to dmg (strong 2h swing) or +3 to AC against melee weapon attacks (2h block) (but not both).

seems ok
butcould be retarded
>>
>>51546410
>My solution would've been to make several of the mechanics hinge on using psionic daggers, or to make a special psionic dagger weapon the way the Sun Soul monk does with its sun bolts, considering the UA Kensei does a decent job of covering the monk getting access to additional martial weapons.
That's....that's not a bad idea. I would miss the ability to summon full swords, but that might be a better way to go around doing things. And it would simplify the later ability to throw them around.

>fighting style
Adding fighting styles to the Monk would be sick.

>They've said the Soul Knife will get added to the Mystic when they're ever done with that, but I'd like to see a functional one much sooner than "when it's done" (tm).
I don't have much hope for the Mystic.
>>
Making a bard. Anyone got a good option for a small, pocket sized instrument that isn't a flute?
>>
>>51546157
I'm trying to make a Dark Knight (as in, sort of like a Paladin that draws upon dark magic instead of divine) and feel like Oathbreaker is the most mechanically sound choice for it, purely skill-wise. Someone who fights fire with fire, and destroys evil by any means necessary, even if it means using occult powers.
The Oath of Vengeance fluff would fit great, in this case. The character in mind would be Neutral Good, so the Oathbreaker fluff kinda breaks it.
>>
>>51546519
Kazoo.
>>
>>51546545
Kazoos are a voice modulator, not an instrument.

Or so an anon said a while back.
>>
>>51544188
Doesn't mean you should post it
>>
>>51546519
Harmonica.

Mini bagpipes.
>>
File: tumblr_n76h5rD09Q1qhttpto2_1280.jpg (248KB, 1280x840px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n76h5rD09Q1qhttpto2_1280.jpg
248KB, 1280x840px
>>51546419
>Make second part a new Ki feature (When you make a ranged attack you can spend ki for bonus damage)
>No spend extra ki for double damage, get rid of that, if the character crits this would be effectively x4 damage

I can see what you mean about the crits.

The double-damage is my attempt to compensate for the option not really having Flurry of Blows. Where FoB does two attacks instead of one that can each independently hit or miss, Spiritual Archery does one double-damage attack that can hit or miss, all or nothing. Inherently balanced, at a glance, but the crits thing makes it less ideal.

I'd probably add the ability once per turn when you hit with an attack to add your Martial Arts damage die to the damage for 1 ki point. I'd do less damage more reliably than FoB.

>True strike feels tacked on to the already large amount of things you are getting here, should be removed

Yeah, I feel you. Most of what I was setting up there was emulating existing monk features. True strike is the only thing this option gets at that level above just the ability to attack at range.

Not sure if I want to keep it or not. It definitely needs to be reworked in one way or another.

Also, True Strike is inherently selfish, and only works for the person casting it. I meant it to be more of an "oh shit, I can't hit this guy," sort of thing, as True Strike always sets up the first attack you make on your next turn, regardless of how you use it.

>This is a 17th level ability. 'You can reroll one miss with advatage' would be fine.

It's also almost a straight copy of the Kensei's level 17, only the Kensei has much more ambiguity on the matter of advantage/disadvantage.

In any case, even as a 17th level I'd think automatic advantage every turn on one attack would be a bit much. At that point, just dip rogue for free Sneak Attack dice.

Thanks for the insight, it really helps.
>>
File: craig-mouth-organ.jpg (7KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
craig-mouth-organ.jpg
7KB, 227x222px
>>51546519

Mouth organ.
>>
>>51546519
Harmonica
>>
>>51546519
Jew harp
>>
>>51546685
>harmonica
Preferably something that can make nice tunes, not rusty and annoying sounds.
>>
>>51546542
Sounds very Oath of Vengeance to me still. "By any means necessary" is actually one of the Vengeance tenants. Dark Knight is also used in the description.

The problem with going Oathbreaker is that several of their spells/abilities are purely chaotic or evil, like Crown of Madness and Inflict Curse. Aura of Hate would be very difficult to fluff since it affects even enemy fiends and undead.

Don't let it discourage you though. Part of your characters arc could very well be seeking out and using all kinds of dark magic regardless of the consequences, while also trying to avoid becoming an Oathbreaker. You don't necessarily want your character to start at the place you think they should end.
>>
>>51546519
Recorder
Pan Flute
>>
>>51546519
Spoons

>>51546633
>Kazoos are a voice modulator, not an instrument.
>Or so an anon said a while back.
That is some weapons grade autism
>>
>>51546519
Not really pocket sized but Trumpets are fun for one handed.
>>
>>51546519
Finger cymbals
>>
>>51546519
Ocarina.

>b..but Zelda
Zelda didn't invent that shit. It's fucking ancient, and actually sounds nice.
>>
>>51546773
Burn in Nessus
>>
>>51546519
Spoons.
>>
>>51546683
>In any case, even as a 17th level I'd think automatic advantage every turn on one attack would be a bit much.
Oh sorry, I'm not great at wording things, I meant if you missed an attack that had advantage, rerolling that again should be fine.
>>
>>51546799
>instrument with keys
>one handed
>>
>>51546827
>Not being able to play a trumpet one handed
>>
>>51546519
A kazoo

This is how I kazoo bard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-sgw9bPV4A
>>
>>51546827
confirmed doesn't know Trumpet
>>
File: лучница_001.jpg (698KB, 817x1920px) Image search: [Google]
лучница_001.jpg
698KB, 817x1920px
>>51546815

Don't sweat it, I see what you mean.

Yeah, I'll probably say something like:

>Once per turn, when you miss an attack you may repeat the attack roll, ignoring disadvantage. You must use the result of this new roll.

That way, it's only disadvantage that is negated.
>>
>>51540676
Has anyone ever made an old scholar turned fighter character? I want to make a "dad" for my group, but don't know if it's a good idea at all to put INT into a character who wouldn't use it for combat at all. thoughts?
>>
What's the proper way to play a low INT character without making the whole table hate you? I mean, at some point, as low INT, you should make suboptimal choices that you as the player would not make, and possibly even trigger combat that was avoidable, right?
>>
>>51547203
Have you ever watched Critical Role?
>>
File: Retiarius.jpg (71KB, 393x692px) Image search: [Google]
Retiarius.jpg
71KB, 393x692px
So I'm thinking about making a character based on the Retiarus class of gladiator, the ones with a net, trident and dagger. Thinking of going Battle Master because the combat maneuvers seem fitting for one who learned to fight to entertain. I can also take a feat, so the question is which feat and maneuvers to choose from that'd work to make this effective.
Would love some input.
>>
>>51547200
Just make an EK. You can make use of that INT and they're built for shielding anyway. I assumed your mention of fighter wasn't specific to the class, but the idea still stands.
>>
NEW BREAD:

>>51547287

>>51547287

>>51547287
>>
>>51547200
Make mastermind rogue instead. Or mastermind rogue 3/battlemaster fighter everything else. With bonus "Help action" you'll actually be team dad while in combat.
>>
>>51547203
You can play a low-INT character without being stupid.

Amazing I know.
>>
>>51547252
Martial Adept. More dice, more moves, more better.

Also, sadly, Crossbow Expert has to be recommended because without it all of your Net attacks are at disadvantage (unless you plan on knocking things prone and then netting them, I guess)
>>
i want to make a scythe character, but the only real homebrews for it i can find are really dumb and just try to make you the grim reaper
>>
>>51548018
Take a halberd or glaive and refluff it.
>>
>>51548018
There's an avatar of death in the DMG that uses a scythe as a 1d8 slashing damage weapon (plus 1d8 necrotic damage but that's irrelevant to a plain scythe).
>>
Me and my group are wanting to start using minis, but have no idea where to start. I'm thinking papercraft, but none of the ones I've found are worth a shit.

I was also just going to use my Warhammer Fantasy models, since I have a several large armies, but they don't cover anything beyond Elves, Beastmen, or Humans, so that's not good.

What's some good papercraft places? Paying isn't an issue.
>>
3/9/13/17
Jackie Chan Rogue Subclass (Monk is too mystical)

3 - Improved Acrobatics - Acrobatics skill checks do not use extra movement. From now on you can add your Proficiency bonus to your AC.

9 - Ladder Fu - Proficiency with improvised weapons. If you are holding an improvised weapon you may use a reaction to attack someone attacking you. if you hit, they have disadvantage on attacks rolls until your next turn and allies have advantage on attacks made against them. Using this ability causes you to drop the improvised weapon.

13 - From Out Of Nowhere - While holding an improvised weapon you can use it to hide an attack. You may make a second attack in a round and apply 1/2 of your normal sneak attack dice to this attack, even if you have already used your sneak attack ability.

17 - Don't Want Any Trouble - Babies count as improvised weapons. Whil weilding an improvised weapon, if you would have to make a save, make an Acrobatics skill check instead. You have advantage on this roll. You do not take fall damage.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.