[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Min-maxing cure for 3.5 D&D?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

alright so here's the situation i'm faced with (and i don't usually come here unless i need help badly as a new-er DM)

a player wants to make something like a half-fiend (not 100% the sit but you know. player confidentials) and a half other thing where they get a BUNCH of racial bonuses.. and the player has already asked for a bunch of items out of the DMG and other D&D editions... how can i, as the dm, make this so it doesn't happen...

ps: still a shy DM for some things not having come across certain issues.
>>
>>51535118
You say no, unless all the other players have similar requests, in which case consider saying yes, and running a stupid overpowered anime campaign.

(also note that as long as you are playing by the rules, like 90% of templates and monster races are fucking trash tier and are going to do more harm to the character than good).
>>
I am playing mostly by the rules as much as i know how. the players all kinda have a -as long as it's playable and ask the DM so i can say yay or nay- i said okay to the character and told them if they abuse the bonuses and stuff that i reserve the right to "put on shelf"
>>
>>51535157
Sounds cool, but 3.5 is a complicated system that's easy to get wrong. For example, half the people I know use Level Adjustment for monstrous races wrong; they are usually far more than enough to offset the benefits.

So, is the player, with LA counted, still in the good level range? Are the magic items he's asking for according to WBL? Are the other players also similarly kitted? Do his thematics clash with the game you are trying to run?
>>
>>51535269
I am bad with the wbl.. heh..but uh its when they asked for something that is like a half- fiend.... but wants to be a devil type other half.. i had to say no.... they were trying to max out bonsluses on character before magical items... which im nice. Its the fact theyre strong before rolls or items.
>>
>>51535589
Okay, half-devil devil is kinda stupid, but the LA would be so staggering that whatever stats they get are practically worthless.

Like, I don't know templates from heart but even if you allowed that stupid shit they'd have something like a +12 LA. Even if they get +16 strength, they'd be 1st level, with +1 BAB, next to a non-LA barbarian or fighter or whatever who'd have like +13 BAB and a bunch of feats/class features/stat increases from leveling on them.
>>
>>51535118
If you feel a need to say no, you just say no.

But frankly I would be less concerned with them being overpowered, and more concerned with them being shit. Because a +LA is almost universally nowhere near as good as a class level.

I'd rather make a custom racial write-up for L1, and have them unlock their SLAs as they gain levels, and make stacking power increases (like martial bonuses such as natural weapons or stat increases) into bonus feats they have to select, and need the appropriate race to qualify for. Sometimes I'll also allow some of those feats as ACFs. For powerful races I'll put a minimum level to play as one.
>>
I'm going to guess by the tone of the responses that OP is fairly new at this, and is not properly enforcing rules like Level Adjustment.

OP: if a race has a Level Adjustment (or LA) like the Half-Fiend does, then you take that into calculation when making characters with that race.

For example, Half-Fiend has a LA of +4 (if memory serves, it's been awhile). So if the rest of the party is say, 9th level, the Half-fiend character is supposed to be 5th level. Now, as some other postsrs have mentioned, LA was a poorly balanced system (Like a lot of 3rd Edition D&D, sadly) and so its rarely worth it - moat 9th level human characters will be stronger than a 5th level Half-Fiend.

That being said, do not just let the Half-Fiend play a 9th level character, as that character will be much stronger than the others.
>>
>>51535770
Op here

I didnt use LA as i didnt think it was a huge thing.... for any of the characters

Most are drow so not a.huge worry there. ... its a half-fiend and base race is yuan-ti i think.... or might have been a something else. It was something strange like that.
>>
>>51537506

LA is a really really huge fucking thing. Like enormously huge. You need to use it, or have some alternative that balances out the powerful races and templates, otherwise your game ends up fucked, man.
>>
>>51535118
Don't play 3.5.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.