[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 23

File: bayard-wu-hunting.jpg (300KB, 1024x1430px) Image search: [Google]
bayard-wu-hunting.jpg
300KB, 1024x1430px
D&D 5th Edition Discussion

> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1T

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51517658
>>
File: 269.png (646KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
269.png
646KB, 600x900px
Any item/magic combo that can allow you to steampunk spiderman? Perhaps some kind of ranger gear?
>>
Do you guys prefer setting agnostic or setting specific materials?
>>
>>51525107
Mechanical stuff should be setting-agnostic, though I don't mind if it refers to the setting it originated from, i.e. warforged, thri-kreen, etc.

I like lore updates for how stuff in a new edition fits into an older edition's settings.
>>
>>51525006

>>No question to provoke conversation in threaf
>>Mordekainen I've failed yew
>>
>>51524660
>If a creature is charmed and I lay a prot from evil on her or put her next to a paladin aura of devotion does this break the charm?
If a creature is chamed by an aberration, celestial, elemental, fey, fiend, or undead, Protection from Evil and Good gives the creature advantage on subsequent saving throws to get rid of the charm.
If that creature enters an Aura of Devotion, that nullifies the charm WHILE the paladin is near and conscious.
>>
Can a curse make someone undead?

No need to eat, drink, breath, but body is rotting. (Can't get drunk)
Penalty on social actions and acrobatics/athletics, but bonus on ranged attacks because you don't shake and no heartbeat = steady
>>
Here, for the scaly bastard from the last thread:

>>51523713 #
+1 STR and 1 ability

>>51523728 #
Again, +1 additional stat and 1 ability,
the temp hit points should be a generic shifter trait like dark vision and +1 con. It represents the extra vitality they have.

>>51523740 #
1 stat bonus and 1 ability

>>51523747 #
>>51523764 #
>>51523777 #
>>51523786 #
>>51523795 #

You know what I'm gonna say.

Look. So far, there are no level adjustments for race in the game, and that's intentional. What you are/start as matters less than what you do. That's why the mud farmer's son can grow up to kill a dragon. If you want to make a more powerful PC race, you have to give it disadvantages to balance the advantages you give it, or you miss the point. If you want to just play broken overpowered shit go back to 3.5.
>>
>>51525174

Sure, go for it. Add in a Constitution check after a while for everybody near the character, on account of the smell.
>>
Let's do this again.

Tell me your character concept with race/class/archetype, and I'll tell you a custom item I'd give you as your DM.

Stick to official and UA stuff. If your concept involves a patron or a deity, tell me stuff about the patron/deity since I don't know that stuff for any setting but Eberron.

I'm here for about an hour and 40 minutes.
>>
>>51525349
Human/Dex Fighter/Eldritch Knight/Tymora (Luck)
>>
>>51525388
Human Warlock/Paladin. Undying Light Patron, Character is a delinquent learning how to be a hero. Uses a baseball bat as his weapon.
>>
>>51525349
Human Rogue/ranger that uses a crossbow and is basically an ambusher/headhunter that is hunting for the biggest target of his career and ended up in a shithole of a place that our DM decided would be our setting.
>>
So I was thinking about making this ruling for surprise to prevent any 'I'll just keep rerolling initiative until it favours me' dealio.

>Surprise Round
This is more of a rules correction than anything.
If a group surprises ALL of another group, there is no initiative roll straight away. Instead, a special round called the 'surprise round' comes into play. Surprisers may act in any order they like, and all creatures count as surprised until combat starts. Nobody knows the initiative order until combat starts, which is immediately after all surprisers have concluded all parts of their turn in the surprise round. Surprisers do not need to use all of their actions in the surprise round all at once, they can choose to use a bonus action before an ally uses an action and then use an action themself.
If a group fails to surprise all of the other group, the game continues as per standard rules - everybody rolls initiative, some creatures are surprised and a creature loses its surprised status after it skips its turn. Naturally, if the surprisers were to try and hide again, at least one creature will still have seen them and call them out unless it is quickly, silently dispatched before any surprised creature becomes unsurprised. Would be impressive if you managed that, though.
>>
>>51525349
Half-Sea Elf girl. Druid circle of the sea. She is a fisherman. Her mother was human and fell in love with a Sea Elf. One day the sea elf father had to return to his home due to something important. Mother died due to being attacked by underwater creature. Adopted by local druid.
>>
>>51525388
Shifter druid, circle of twilight/gatekeeper initiate in Eberron.

Hi tgm
>>
>>51525388
ProtectorAasimar/Paladin/Vengeance

Has an artificers husband and 2 young children
>>
>>51525421
The bat is magical. The handle of the bat is charred, and bits of ash flake off from it, though it never diminishes in integrity.

You can cast Hex on friendly targets, giving them advantage to checks with an ability score and adding 1d6 radiant damage to their attacks.

>>51525425
A quiver of bolts with 5 compartments. The quiver never weighs more than 2 pounds no matter how many bolts it holds. 4 of the compartments are normal and can hold 20 bolts. The fifth compartment has X magical bolts (x = proficiency modifier) that reappear at dawn of each day when used. These magical bolts deal xd6 additional damage, or xd10 to favored enemies.

>>51525403
Add a concept.
>>
>>51525388

I could use help with an item. Playing a V. Human with 4 levels in Arcane Trickster Rogue and 9 levels in Trickery Domain Cleric. Playing a clown, refluffed spells and the whole lot. DM has asked the party to make up items for ourselves that we'll quest after later, a bit below artifact level in power. I'm no good at this homebrew stuff, so I'm not even sure where to begin to be honest.
>>
>>51525349
>>Forest Gnome Circle of the Moon Druid Folk Hero level 9 CN

Started into druidism when his village was attacked by gnolls and helped fight them off with the assistance of his badger buddies. Abuses wildshape a lot to get into hijinks, kind of going for a swashbuckling druid adventurer who loves animals and thwarting The Man, Already wields a magic scimitar and wears a tri-corn hat that he adorns with druidcrafted flora.

Pic related
>>
>>51525388
Human College of Whispers Bard, undercover spy for the Harpers.
Is pretty average aside from being a compulsive liar, which so far hasn't caused any problems within the party.
>>
>>51525403
>>51525503
Convinced he's just a down on his luck noble, wants to build a noble house.
>>
>>51525521
redirecting reply to
>>51525388
>>
>>51525511
Get an item that fixes your broken spell progression, because that build only gets 10 spellcasting levels and 5th level cleric spells + limited level 1 wizard spells.

Some sort of item that makes AT levels count as cleric levels for spellcasting and spell learning purposes rather than not counting towards learning and only giving you a single spellcasting level at level 3.

.. And once you've fixed the fact you're pretty much just a crappy fast cleric, have an item that focuses on perhaps illusions for utility or something. Maybe a typical 'there are three walls, only one is real, the other two are illusions' type thing.
>>
>>51525452
A memento from the mother that became magical after her death. It grants advantage on initiative checks, and you cannot be surprised. If you are asleep or unconscious when initiative is rolled and have 1 or more HP, you wake.

Mother's spirit is worrying over you

>>51525485
Have I been named?

A quarterstaff made of byeshk. It alerts you to the presence of aberrations within 120 ft. of you, telling you their exact location unless they are protected from divination effects and/or lead provides total cover to the aberration. Your spells and weapon attacks deal 1d4 extra damage to aberrations, and aberrations have disadvantage on saving throws against your spells. Increase the extra damage by 1 step when your proficiency increases (d6 at 3, d8 at 4, d10 at 5, d12 at 6)
>>
>>51525388
Goliath Barbarian/Battlerager, found by the foot of a mountain as a baby, adopted by local renowned Dwarven weaponsmith. Wants to follow in her father's footsteps, sets out as an adventurer to find rare materials and magical weapons she could draw inspiration from.
>>
>>51525511
You'll want something that lets you use cleric spells with Int or AT spells with Wis. That's a hard character to work with.
>>
>>51525107
I prefer settings to be system agnostic, but I really love reading setting specific materials (just picked up Volo's guide) to see how other people have fleshed out concepts and adapt/invert them in my own setting. I'm finishing up my Red Hand of Doom campaign, so I'm considering using the section about orcs as the follow-up arc in my setting where Gruumsh and the other orc pantheon are just spirits, since one of my players has a half-orc PC whose tribal background ties to the antagonist orc horde.

>>51525130
Those races are so damn cool I always make sure they're available in my setting.
>>
>>51525590
>Have I been named?
No, I was assuming you were someone else
>>
>>51525521
A magical ironwood scimitar. It functions with Shillelagh as if it was a club or quarterstaff, and when you take on an elemental wildshape, you can wield the scimitar, replacing the elemental's multiattack options with scimitar attacks. In elemental wildshape form, the scimitar deals 2d6 additional damage of a type depending on the form.

Air = lightning
Fire = fire
Water = cold
Earth = thunder

>>51525527
You'll have to tell me what the Harpers are.

>>51525602
A magical battle axe engraved with dwarven runes it's a tawdry, colorful drinking song. It functions as a Belt of Dwarvenkind when attuned, it has the throwing property, and it returns to your hand as a free action.
>>
>>51525388
Half-orc treachery paladin, he's type that believes that the end justifies the means and stops at nothing to get his results.
Has a strong distain for the weak and does what he can to gain power.
>>
>>51525537
A magical signet ring of your house. Natural 1s count as 20s. You must reroll natural 20s and take the 2nd result.
>>
>>51525388
V. Human/Bard/Glamour

She loves to sing and believes that song can calm violence and bring people together
>>
>>51525715
Well the DnD website says the Harper's 3 main concepts are:
One can never have too much information.
Too much power leads to corruption.
No one should be powerless.

My understanding is that they fight for general equality, assassinating evil nobles when needed, or helping out small hamlets for example. Also they're devoted to preserving art and history I think.
>>
>>51525736
A magical (insert weapon of choice).

When you use Divine Smite, you can choose to take necrotic damage equal to 5 times the level of the spell slot used. If you do, the Divine Smite dice deal maximum damage.

The weapon is sentient. A rakshasa's spirit is inside it, and he whispers helpful suggestions to you.

>>51525778
An emerald amulet. When worn around the neck, it feels warm to the touch. It glows slightly when you sing. You can expend a use of Bardic Inspiration to cast Sanctuary on yourself as a bonus action.

>>51525787
A book of music sheets. The sheets are never the same any time you look at them, and the songs within reveal information to you. When you make an Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion check while consulting the music, you have advantage on the roll. If either of the rolls are a natural 1, the music also gives you a portent of your own death.
>>
>>51525388
Human Rogue/Warlock. Alan Terry, a butcher, accidentally developed magical powers after a deal with the devil made by Alanterie the Butcher.
>>
Half-Elf/Wizard/Bladesinger

A young girl who is confident in her skills but is not not self aware and prone to immaturity.

She used Misty Step and Haste to get around quickly in the battlefield allowing her to cast spells and use her Archery at the same time.
>>
>>51525918
A magical cleaver that acts as a battle axe. It has the finesse property. It constantly drips blood and never wipes clean no matter what you try. You do not require concentration to maintain Hex for its duration, and you can cast Hex X times per day without using a slot, where X is your proficiency bonus. While attuned to the weapon, you start to bleed from your eyes, mouth, nose, ears, and hands when you have a Hex spell active.
>>
>>51525590
I like this quarter staff idea... Any idea what spells I'd need to make it, as a downtime activity?
>>
>>51521438
Multiple ongoing games? I can't even get one.
>>
>>51525388
I don't get people's fascination with these.

It's fine, it doesn't hurt me in any way, I just don't understand why it gets so many responses every time.
>>
>>51525959
You might have missed my Female Protector Aasimar/Paladin/Vengeance

Her armor obscures her gender. Her voice filtered by her helmet. She is embodiment of wrath. She has a artificers husband and 2 young children who keep her from going full vengeance machine. She fell in love with her husband when she was still a Paladin in training.
>>
>>51525978
Not a clue. I don't worry about item crafting in 5e. Byeshk is a special purplish metal in Eberron that is the bane of aberrations. Iirc it doesn't take any magic to make it, but it's difficult to work with and can only be used for bludgeoning weapons.

>>51525937
A magical hat. It is cursed, and you have a permanent Detect Thoughts spell active while attuned to the hat. You're stuck knowing what everyone really thinks of you.

You gain the Archery fighting style while attuned to the hat, and you do not suffer disadvantage for shooting at a target you cannot see. You still have to determine the appropriate spot to attack.

>>51526056
I'm surprised myself. It's a good time killer, and I keep a lot of the ideas to use in my games.

>>51526072
I didn't see the concept description before. The concept is what inspires me most.

The armor is magical. It allows you to cast Enlarge/Reduce X times per day without using a spell slot, where X is your proficiency modifier. Hulk up when you really need to convince people you're a guy.
>>
>>51526056
I'm more worried about the fact that the quality of magic items has been dropping.

Maybe after making too many it's hard to resist roundabout effects or simple conditional power boosts.
>>
>>51525388
High Elf/Wizard/Illusionist
Wants to be the world's greatest thief.
>>
>>51526113
Lizardfolk barbarian
Escaped from slavery, now roaming the underdark preying on drow. Has pet spider
>>
>>51526116
>quality of magic items has been dropping.
elaborate
>>
>>
>>51526056
People like an excuse to post their character since otherwise there's no reason to without looking like a twat.
>>
>>51525388
Dragonborn War Master Mercenary, has aspirations to lead his own company and eventually his own city, but struggles with more fatalistic choices.
>>
>>51526056
I'm cheating and posting my player's characters so I have loot to give them.
>>
>>51526168
>>
Female/V.Human/Monk/Tranquility

She is a mature an composed woman who had an Akhashic look. She specializes in sensual theraputic massages to heal people using their Ki flow. Can be quite erotic. She's not a whore though.
>>
>>51526172
War master?
>>
File: 1410997482573.jpg (84KB, 508x720px) Image search: [Google]
1410997482573.jpg
84KB, 508x720px
>>51526199
Same
>>
>>51526227
Oh fuck lmao, I meant Battle Master, the Fighter Archetype.
>>
>>51525388
Barbarian firbolg - after his father was slain he was exiled/hunted and became a barbarian under the tutelage of an Orc - that was actually a spirit animal.
>>
I'm running Storm King's Thunder. My players just beat the giant attack in Bryn Shander. It was pretty cool. I liked using the NPCs to even out combat a little.

I'm curious how to proceed from here. It seems like my players kind of just have free reign to do whatever they'd like now. Should I be giving them a specific goal now?
>>
>>51526170
That explains it but simultaneously doesn't explain it. Why do people want / need an excuse to post their character? Why do they want to post it so badly? Especially since half of the replies are barely more than the race, class, and one personality trait? If there's such an unmet demand for character posting excuses, why don't any of them go make a thread for it?
>>
>>51526156
Your spider bites, though it barely causes any discomfort. A symbol starts to form around the spot where it bit you over the course of a few weeks. Your hands and feet grow micro-hairs that cling to most surfaces, granting you a climb speed equal to your land speed.

>>51526132
A pair of gloves with short strings hanging from each finger. As an action, you can make your voice come from another creature's mouth without making a sound yourself.

>>51526199
That would explain why the character descriptions are so short today. I don't put much effort into items for really short character descriptions.
>>
>>51526113
>can only be used for bludgeoning weapons
Wrong. Most modern smiths can't make blades with it, but there are 6 artifact swords from the war with the daelkyr that have all kinds of nifty powers. I think the only one ever named though was Righteous Rage or something like that. As you imagine, it gave nice barbarian-like powers to whoever wielded it, but they all judged their wielders.
>>
>>51526164
>1s become 20s and 20s are rerolled
Exactly the same as the haflling's 'lucky', except really awkward. Just saying 'you reroll 1s' has the exact same effect.
>scimitar +2d6 damage in form
Conditional damage increase, only really useful for combat. .. And when it applies it's.. A damage increase, which I find rather boring.
>full damage smite for a bit of damage taken
Though not so bad an idea, again it's a bit dull in the sense of it just being raw damage, and it also makes paladin's already legendary nova potential even worse for a DM to handle. Imagine using that with crit smites.

Advantage on initiative/can't be surprised / autowake just sounds kinda annoying for a DM. Granted, it's not damage boosts or overpowered, it's just... Combat-only buffs that limit what tactics the DM can use on players again.

>quiver of bolts for extra damage
As said, number of bolts a day that deal extra damage.

>belt of dwarvernkind axe
Well, it has a charisma effect to interact with dwarves which is anon-combat thing that was part of the copied item, but otherwise it's all combat effects again. But also
>free action
Is probably not something you should say, you might trigger people.
The throwing property should specify distances, too.
The flavour is nice enough, though, I suppose. Brings a new meaning to 'bearded axe'.

Sanctuary one isn't so bad, I suppose, though playing off of an already limited resource.

The music sheets sound pretty neat though, the only non-combat.
cont
>>
>>51525388
Kobold/Paladin/Crown

Once a great Dragonborn warrior who upheld virtue and valour, he was cursed by his archnemesis into his current wretched form. This does not deter him. His heart and soul is as courageous as ever!
>>
>>51526164
>>51526332
Continued because ran out of character space

In short I'm just an angry nerd angry about magic items, especially DMG ones, +1 shortswords and the like, and I don't like fairly bland combat buffs that don't open up new possibilities.

I enjoy seeing more non-combat uses for magic items and, when combat applies, the uses promote.. Well, it's less 'you can cast this spell more often' but more 'you can cast a new spell', if you get what I mean.

Previous days we had this had some better magic items, in my opinion.
>>
>>51526172
A giant ram's horn trumpet. You can use your breath weapon one additional time per short rest. The additional use deals thunder damage.

Allies within 30 ft. are also affected when you use Second Wind.

>>51526332
>Exactly the same as the haflling's 'lucky', except really awkward. Just saying 'you reroll 1s' has the exact same effect.

Wrong. The reroll is for natural 20s. The natural 1s count as 20s but are not natural 20s. The idea is a reversal of fortune.
>>
>>51526332
>Just saying 'you reroll 1s' has the exact same effect.
No it doesn't. What it means is 1s are a crit, but if you roll a nat 20, you have to reroll.
>>
>>51526355
>Previous days we had this had some better magic items, in my opinion.

Previous days had more detailed character descriptions too. I work with what I'm given.
>>
>>51526370
>20s crit
>reroll 1s

>1s become a 20 and crit
>reroll 20s

These are the same thing
>>
>>51526368
Think about it mathematically.

Your 1 rolls are replaced by 20s.

Your 20 rolls are replaced by a d20 that can be anything.

It's like saying 'When you roll 1, it becomes a 20. When you roll 20, it becomes a 1', except throwing in halfling's lucky feat.

Actually, if the rerolled 20 becomes a 1, would that 1 become a 20? I suppose it would. But that just becomes annoying to DMs to have characters who can never roll low, but I suppose hafllings already exist to fuck with said DMs. Hm.

But yes, if the rerolled 20 could potentially become a 1, it is exactly the same as the halfling's feature, just made confusing.
>>
>>51526387
I don't think the problem is the custom item part of it. The items do feel relevant to the characters.

It's just that there's a lot of things like 'you deal extra damage conditionally' where the conditions are once/day or against a certain enemy or while in a certain form or for expending a bit of HP. It's less about the fluff, more about the effects, and that's why I said maybe it's running out of juice and boiling down to the simple stuff.
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/827242368789262336

Are you ready to be the Man of Dudes?
>>
>>51525081
Cloak of Arachnida from the DM Manual lets you walk on walls and ceilings and cast the web spell.
>>
>>51525388
High Elf Divination wizard that worked as a sort of manhunter for the king, tends to be calm and pragmatic until he loses his cool, at that point it's all bets are off.

He aims to start his own arcane college, training young wizards into a form of inquisitorial arcane force like he acted for the king, and amass power.
He has an utter hatred for how high nobility tend to act irrationally and egotistically and wants to claim his own kingdom and turn it into an arcane powerhouse, effectively attempting to control the higher nobilities as he deems them unworthy of having any influence on society.

He simply believes that magic is the way to go, since it has never failed him in his time of need.
>>
>>51526445
I don't get it
>>
>>51526295
For the same reason they want a (You) or compliments.

People like their thoughts and ideas being recognised because it validates their creation. They can't just post it in a thread about those ideas because that devalues the recognition through unnatural presentation.

It's the difference between allowing someone to stumble upon an award you've received, and gaining a compliment on it, which makes you feel warm inside, and handing them your award and telling them how you won it, which they'll praise, but you've lost the experience through forcing it.

Anyway, here's your (You).
>>
>>51525388
Half-elf Fiendish Patron Pact of the Chain Warlock Solider Background
bastard child of human bar maid and elf bard, was member of village militia, got k.i.a. and patron offered a second chance at life if they agreed to serve them somehow.
Doesn't know exactly who patron is, but wants to skip out on pact because the patron wants them to kill their wife. Currently adventuring to find out how to do that, with a view into multiclassing bard (lore) magical secrets and what not
>>
>>51526338
You find a set of spellbooks. Each book is blank. The master spellbook has a golden bookmark in it. Spells written in the other spellbooks appear in the master spellbook, and spells in the master spellbook can be copied into the other spellbooks at half-cost.

Train your wizardly students.
>>
>>51526295
>>51526484
I actually don't mind this, it's nice to see succinct character concepts that don't waffle on too much
>>
Has anyone else ever experienced that trying to write a character makes you cringe?

Any backstory other than stuff like "was a farmer and decided to be a fighter" feels painful to write, especially if I have to include parents and family and everything else.

I know the problem is me, but I'm trying to be less of a murderhobo and I don't know how.
>>
>>51526529
I don't get this.
>>
>>51526529 Was meant for >>51526451

>>51526549
The curse allowed the paladin to tap into the sorcerous potential within his kobold form. You learn 4 sorcerer cantrips and 3 1st level sorcerer spells. You may use your paladin spell slots to cast these spells.
>>
>>51526529
I absolutely love it.
>>
>>51526368
>>51526410
The feature is a weaker than halfling lucky (even if rerolled 20s can become 1s, as they should) because you only have 1/400 chance to get a nat 20. With halfling lucky you have 1/20+1/400 chances to get a nat 20.
>>
>>51526600
The intent is:

"I rolled a 1. It's a critical success because of this ring."

"I rolled a 20. The ring won't let me be too lucky and forces me to reroll."

It's not intended to be cyclical. "Natural" in front of a number has a meaning in D&D.
>>
>>51525388
Human Warlock/Fighter
Flunked out of Magic College, now adventuring with a group of explorers under the guise of being a master wizard to chart out new lands. Wound up having to make deals with evil dudes as his Patron in order to keep up the facade.
Aims to be a master swordsman in order to pay homage to the person who inspired him to start adventuring, and is currently looking for them.
>>
Convince me otherwise that druid is not the most broken class in this system. It may or may not be getting annoying how someone keeps bragging about how awesome his forms are.
>>
>>51526548
I feel your pain.

Its bad enough for my PCs, im currently making a setting with its own pantheon, and one god is Aspect of Void.
Its proving very difficult for me to harness my inner emo kid to take this stupidly edgy background and traits for an otherwise reasonable "person" seriously.

I could just make them not edgy, but the edgy things in its background are all extremely plot relavent.

I guess I should just accept that a God of Void is inherently edgy, stop worrying about it, and just go full ham.
>>
>>51526582
No item for tantra monk?
>>51526224
>>
>>51526624
Play past level 10. They fall off hard.
>>
>>51526548
What's the problem?

Say, off the top of my head, I'd maybe like to make..

Say, a gnome wizard nearing the end of his days, having spent most of his time in seclusion. In his old age, he's been afflicted with terrible illness (low con) that can't be cured by normal means. Thus, he has the options of adventuring for a cure, dying trying to adventure for a cure or to sit down and waste away, and for sure the first two options sound much better to him to have one last go at life rather than waste away lonely and forgotten.

So what's the cringey part of starting to write that sort of thing? Heck, there isn't even mention of a family in there, but they might have children or something they're not with at the moment. Is it cringey to have an old character? The roleplay/ designing a family part? Or what exactly causes the cringe?

>>51526600
It's like

1/20 chance - you roll 1 (becomes 20)
18/20 chance - you roll 2 to 19
1/20 chance - you roll 20 (becomes a normal d20 unless the ring's effect can happen twice on the same roll)

which is identical to

1/20 chance - you roll a 1 (becomes a normal d20)
18/20 chance - you roll a 2 to 19
1/20 chance - you roll a 20 (stays a 20)
>>
>>51526498
I'd probably give that character the same thing as >>51525787

>A book of music sheets. The sheets are never the same any time you look at them, and the songs within reveal information to you. When you make an Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion check while consulting the music, you have advantage on the roll. If either of the rolls are a natural 1, the music also gives you a portent of your own death.
>>
>>51526621
Is this an Eldrich Knight?

>>51526653
I didn't notice it.

>>51526224
And now I wish I hadn't noticed it.
>>
File: strait-jacket.jpg (75KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
strait-jacket.jpg
75KB, 704x400px
I need help homebrewing an artificer for 5e. The setting is beginning of the industrial revolution and magic is utilized as a power source in crystallized magic. I need help making a class that is basically an artificer who wears magically powered armor and uses spell cannon functionally similar to a wand.
pic very related.
>>
File: UA Artificer.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA Artificer.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51526737
They put out an Unearthed Arcana for that a few weeks ago.
>>
>>51526729
Haven't decided yet, I'm split between EK and BM. The character is level 2/2 for both.
>>
>>51526737

I remember that anime. I should rewatch it, I enjoyed it when I caught it once on TV.
>>
Human/Monk/Sun Soul

Tomboyish and fiery attitude have most people mistaking her for a boy. Left on the doorstep of a Monk Monastery as an infant. She loves to fight but hates the philosophical and religious teachings of the monks. She often sneaks out and does some petty crimes like theivery. She sees a circus troupe and wants to become as beautiful and graceful as the female entertainers. Elder monks says her dreams are childish and she has a greater destiny. She runs away from monastery to fulfil her dream.
>>
>>51526621
>>51526775
A stolen staff from the magic college he flunked out of. The staff has the signature runes of the elderly, forgetful, but exceedingly powerful librarian that you didn't notice until you were far from the college.

You're unable to comprehend or take advantage of the full capabilities of the staff. You are able to use it to cast any wizard cantrip, as well as any 1st-level wizard ritual. Detect Magic reveals there's a divination-based enchantment on it that makes it traceable over long distances.
>>
>>51526764
Fantastic,Thank you very much
>>51526794
I remember it being bad in execution but really liking the concept of magepunk armor battle casters
>>
>>51526818
A quarterstaff that can extend up to 30 ft. It's only usable as a weapon up to 10 ft. You have advantage on Athletics checks made to jump and Acrobatics checks used to balance on the staff. While wielding the staff, you can use your reaction to add your Dexterity to your AC against a single attack that hit you, potentially causing it to miss.
>>
Human/Wizard/Necromancer

A nobleman in Ravenloft who left his fortune to be a doctor. He is a skilled surgeon and healer. He wishes to use Necromancy to fight the darkness and to stave the of Death and plague from innocents. He can be a bit morbid when performing autopsies of various creatures but is an amicable fellow.
>>
>>51526832
Angry At Magic Items Anon here.

This shit is much better now in my opinion.

Also while I'm here fuck goblins.
>>
>>51526973
Of course, the character was more fleshed out.
>>
>>51526673
>Is it cringey to have an old character? The roleplay/ designing a family part? Or what exactly causes the cringe?

If I knew I wouldn't be having the problem

It's like the part of my brain that stuff comes out of is covered in spikes and reaching in there hurts
>>
>>51526894
I don't see how an elongated staff can grant more AC
>>
>>51526997
Anime. Spin the fucker around.
>>
>>51526729
Don't be so prudish anon. This is a sacred art in Hinduism/Buddhism it's pretty Monk
>>
>>51526990
I mean, the fluff and history was great but it's more on the effects part of increasing versatility through more cantrips, I suppose.

>>51526992
I mean, I could always help de-edgify a character if you give the character description. I can.. Modify it to make it better.

Such as 'bounty hunter' would become 'Unfortunate guard' or something.
>>
>>51526620
What is the difference between a critical success and a nat 20 ?
>>
>>51527185
This:

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51527185
Critical successes don't exist by RAW. They're essentially homeruled, aside from attacks dealing crit damage, I think you autosucceed a save on 20 or get an additional effect if it's a death save.. and skill checks having +1 over a 19.
But overall, at least for skill checks, a 20 isn't necessarily a critical success.
>>
>>51527185
All natural 20s are not critical successes (only attack rolls and death saving throws in 5e). If an item changes the conditions for critical success, then it no longer follows that all critical successes are natural 20s.
>>
Wasn't there supposed to be a new UA this past Monday? What happened?

>tfw you'll never get more sorcerous origins
>>
>>51527293
Bostboned again

Next UA will be neverday
>>
Human Bard Lore Charlatan

Cursed to be the worst bard in the world up until the moment right before his death where he shall perform a world shattering melody

The gods want to see what that hubalub is all about and so have been conspiring to kill him the only way they're allowed, i.e. ADVENTURE, but Black Swan Jack as a bard, uses his genre savyness to survive.

Not win, mind you. Or Triumph.

Just survive
>>
>>51527223
>>51527230
thanks for your replies lads, though I meant in the ring context.

>>51527271
My question should have been :
Is there a difference between
>having the ring, rolling a 1 and turning it into a 20.
and
>not wearing the ring, rolling a 20.
?
>>
>>51527185
>What is the difference between a critical success and a nat 20 ?

The difference is that a natural 20 is a thing that exists in 5e.
>>
Tell me how to build my warlock paladin so I can hit things hard and not rely on EB.
>>
>I think you autosucceed a save on 20

You autosucceed on most saves on a 20 because without boosts, most DC's cap on 19, not because 20 is a crit.

It happens so that any creature, even a lowly kobold, has a chance, no matter how remote, to pass that save or die spell that you got

However, between Tomes and Rods of the Pact Keeper and the like, there are ways to get it past that 8+6+5 maximum
>>
>>51527416
holy fuck I baited the austimos without even trying.
>>
>>51527413
If the 1 turns into a 20, you've effectively rolled a 20.

Either way, you've just rolled a 20.

>>51527424
Want to metagame it to the max?

Warlock3 (you can take 4 or 5 levels of warlock if you really insist, but 3 in the important number)/Paladin5/6/7/11/15/16/17.

Fiendlock + oathbreaker.
Get shillelagh (charisma) from warlock. Get PAM from variant human. Up charisma at every chance. Get duelling.
Become absolutely broken. You will easily out-damage a fighter with GWM+PAM, even with a goddamn fucking quarterstaff.
>>
>>51527461
>merely_pretending.png
>>
>>51527413
>Is there a difference between
>>having the ring, rolling a 1 and turning it into a 20.
>and
>>not wearing the ring, rolling a 20.

No difference. It's just flavor. A reversal of fortune. It could just say "you always reroll natural 1s" and be the same thing. As DM, I'd narrate it as improbable turn of events that turn bad luck into success, i.e. "you trip over yourself trying to make a lunging stab, falling head-first into your enemy's crotch and bowling him over in such a way he viciously wounds himself in the awkward fall. You miraculously roll to your feet from the scuffle."

When does a natural 1 actually matter? Attack rolls and death saving throws.

The main benefit of the ring is there's no way to roll a 1 that actually counts as a 1 anymore. I didn't expect so much REEEEE over math and semantics of something I thought of in 2 minutes.
>>
File: 1432180159289.png (33KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1432180159289.png
33KB, 800x800px
>>51527544
I concede
>>
>>51527647
>so much REEEEE
I'm flattered
>>
What do you do with a player who just roleplays themselves and freezes when asked about their backstory?
>>
Even though haste is obviously better I've become incredibly fond of enlarge/reduce as my buff of choice. The extra damage is nice, but the utility involved in it is so much more fun. Any suggested creative uses for it? My favorites have been giving it to our shield bashing fighter who just knocks everything prone, shrinking locked doors, and enlarging giant projectiles in mid flight.
>>
>>51527809
I just talk to them. Usually i ask them, standard questions
>Why is your character adventuring?
>Why is your character working with others?
>Does your character know the other characters? If so, how?
>Why is your character X class?

That usually gives enough.

With the addition of Background in 5e it makes creating a backstory a bit easier, because it gives a solid stepping off point.

So sometimes i ask them
>Why is your background Y?
>>
Will someone help a poor beggar? Need the scarecrow stats from the MM. It'd save me hours. I'm at work and was gonna print it at the library, but can't find it so I'll have to go home first to get my MM.
>>
File: scarecrow.png (392KB, 351x604px) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow.png
392KB, 351x604px
>>51527888
can't you download it from the trove at the library ?
>>
File: masks.jpg (138KB, 593x800px) Image search: [Google]
masks.jpg
138KB, 593x800px
>>51525388
Changeling Assassin/Vengeance Paladin. One of the Avengers of Kelemvor, aiming to one day be a Doomguard (a special Kelemvor Paladin). Kelemvor is the Lawful Neutral god of death and fate, his main tenets are let death happen and that you should follow your fate to the fullest, whether it be good or evil. The character is sworn to hunt down necromancers to the ends of the earth and is currently on a mission to gather pages from the Book of Ultimate Evil.
>>
>>51525388
Halfling/Warlock/Old God/Tome
He's a literal reflection of a Halfling torn out and into this world by its crazy father in his worship of the character's Old God, an entity that is perceived solely in reflective surfaces. He's now on a quest to dispose of his father still being up to no good, not get hunted down by his origin that sees him as demonspawn, and generally ruin the day of various cultists.
>>
Are there templates for making Skeletons or Zombies anywhere?
>>
>>51527867
Well, you have being a size larger (grapple with larger things, have a larger area you can attack in, block more spaces, move through the spaces of small creatures, double strength capacities..

Then you don't lose a turn once concentration is broken.

It's level 2 instead of 3.

The +d4s can potentially be stronger than a normal attack on some characters, probably monks.

.. But, yes, it's competing against +2 AC and double speed as well there. Haste is more ridiculous on a monk that can just sweep in, punch and then hide again behind a tree.

So.. It all comes down to what you can do with big people.

You could enlarge someone and then disguise them as an ogre or something.

Stack it with bear barbarian's bonus and goliath's bonus and bull's strength to get ridiculous carry capacities.

Honestly, probably the best use it just to make it so they can bash and grapple people really easily, as per one of your suggestions.

It's honestly a little bit disappointing overall, but the utility reduce has could shine some day you need a small disguise or to get in through the vents. But then, gaseous form exists...
>>
File: the mummy scarabs.jpg (99KB, 1919x814px) Image search: [Google]
the mummy scarabs.jpg
99KB, 1919x814px
How do i do the scarabs from pic related in 5e? Swarm of insects plus swarm of rot grubs?
>>
>>51528148
You mean scarabs that go under someone's skin?
>>
>>51525140

oh hey, that helps a lot. Thanks
>>
How would you rate the Warlock Patrons, both official and UA
>>
>Most Intersting

Archfey

>Most Fun

Stark Seeker

>Most Useful

Great Old One

>Most Damage

Fiend
>>
>>51528181
Yes, exactly.

>>51528186
Actually, after posting that I saw 2 different "official" responses. Crawford said it cancels the charm while the paladin is around, like I did, but Mearls said the Aura can't affect charms once they're already in place. So I guess it's up to the DM?
>>
>>51528190
I like Undying Light, Archfey, and Seeker.

Never played a Warlock, but I would probably Multiclass Archfey with Oath of Ancients Paladin to make some kind of tricky faerie knight, i would multiclass Undying Light with Crown Paladin and be some kind of Knight of Atlantis harnessing ancient energy and following the laws of a long dead civilization. And I would just go Pure for Seeker. Maybe throw in 2 levels of Divination Wizard and just be some kind of Star reading fortune teller.

>>51528263
>scarabs that go under someone's skin
Just have the scarabs go under someone's skin? if you mean, how do you do that mechanically. Probably some kind of dex check, and then a con check every turn after or else X damage.
>>
>>51528190
I like 'em except for the Undying Light. It's an awkward execution of the class.
>>
>>51528343
explain, i like that one.
>>
>>51528190
Undying light is overpowered.

Fiend is.. Simple, but good.

Fey is interesting.

Star Seeker again looked a bit more powerful for one level dips than the others. This is why you don't allow UAs for multiclasses.

GOO seems pretty successful with the utility it offers, a lot of people seem to like it. I suppose Tasha's Hideous Laughter is pretty useful, too.

Undying didn't feel like it helped the necromancer people like it should have. Not enough, anyway. I can't remember why.
>>
>>51528400
They're probably thinking that a non-entity patron of positivity isn't edgy enough, but I would rather have more patrons in that direction.
>>
Thinking about cursing a player with gradual undeath.

No need to eat, sleep, breath. Disadvantage on social abilities. Con checks for nearby players due to the smelL

resistance to poison damage? What else could make this flavorful
>>
>>51528434
>I can't remember why.

Might have something to with a Necromancer class that doesn't give you Animate Dead as a pact spell
>>
>>51528483

Sunlight sensitivity might be a thing
>>
>>51528483
Eventually the player wouldn't be able to speak as their vocal cords/diaphragm may have rotted
>>
>>51528435
It has nothing to do with edginess. The point of the warlock is that they have a pact with a specific being, not a mindless cosmic force. A light-themed sorcerer would make more sense imo.

The other thing is that making deals with devils and shit is a classic fantasy trope. Who ever heard of making a pact with pure energy?
>>
>>51528434
>>51528492
I tried to remake the Undying pact a long time ago to bring it up to the level of other pacts. It really just consisted of reorganizing abilities and stealing a better capstone from the Shadow Sorcerer UA. Might suit your needs?
>>
Anyone have Roll20 resources for Storm King's Thunder?
>>
What do you guys think of this guy's review of the 5e monster manual? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFX7QEeBPSw

He finds the idea of a bestiary within a bestiary stupid as shit and finds the idea of the dragons having detect or tail attack as legendary actions and the concept of legendary actions to be stupid shit.
He gets worked up quite a bit about it.
>>
What Demon Lords should Dark Elves worship as gods?

Lolth/Loth is obvious, i'm also thinking Grazzt. What else makes sense for them?
>>
>>51525388
Triton Barbarian (Storm-Herald: Sea)

Ex-Border Guard (Soldier background) from before Undersea Nation developed friendly relations with Land Empire.

Easy-going surfer bro that adventures in the name of "Learning About Land Culture."
>>
>>51525388
Firbolg Ancients paladin / Archfey warlock, a strong but sneaky servant of the fey courts that is actually capable of going out into the world and using worked metals.
>>
>>51528483
>permanent disadvantage/advantage ever

As long as they find a way to talk, like through a spell similar to minor illusion, they should be fine. It's just that some living people might find it more bullshit.

I think you don't really need to do con checks for smells. That's like 'Roll to not find this person disgusting'. Instead, it'd probably be 'passive con' or something anyway. .. More importantly, you just tell everybody the character smells instead, and that's that.

I'd probably shove in some things like a vulnerability to certain holy things (obviously turn undead would affect them, for example) And a couple of resistances, but most other things are mostly fluff.
>>
>>51528750
It's dependent on the setting but Lolth generally forbids the worship of any entity other than her.
Otherwise, Grazzt, Orcus, Ghaundaur would be good ones.
>>
>>51525388
Abyssal Tiefling/ Fey Warlock. Shunned by his community for abandoning his demonic heritage, hated by other societies because everyone thinks he's a child eating demon. Still does whatever he can to help people with his powers, even if he knows they'd still never accept him.
>>
>>51528750
Depends on your world.

There are many kinds of Dark Elves, and not all are evil.
>>
>>51528849
>>51528750
Otherwise you could make a Dark Seldarine formed of demon lords and taking a look at the portfolios each deity involved themselves with.
You then won't have any deity other than Lolth.
>>
>>51528849
I'm going with Dark Elves, not Drow. So they're not spider obsessed, the Dark Elves worship Demon Lords, with Lolth the head of the "pantheon"

>>51528909
I like mine as pretty fucking evil. Like demon summoning, slaving, sacrificing evil. A non-evil Dark Elf is at the most Neutral, and likely a slave.
>>
>>51528935
Im distinctly not using Forgotten Realms Lolth.

My Lolth is a Demon Lord, never was originally a god, but is worshipped as one as a Lesser Diety.
>>
>>51528993
That doesn't preclude you from doing the other bit.
You could also take a look at what Pathfinder did with their drow; who all worship demon lords.
>>
Is there anywhere I can find the maps from Curse of Strahd as pictures to use on roll20 or do I have to crop them from the pdf myself?
>>
>>51529028
If you open them in Adobe Reader you can right click -> Save Image As from the PDF.
>>
>>51528973
Have you played Lineage II recently?
>>
>>51529071
Never have, why?
>>
Why would any species have any likelihood to be more or less evil than any other, environmental factors (eg culture / poverty) aside?
>>
Are these legitimate criticismd of 5e? A lot of people have been saying 5e is really bland.

>Good job at understanding what is D&D.

You mean retarded "everyone gets +2 to everything and no penalties cause that would be rayciss"?

You mean the stupid-ass rest structure that 4e created because apparently healing magic of all things was too unbalanced?

You mean giving basic orcs fifteen fucking hit points because of how 5e fucked up the class power levels?

You mean dumbing down character power so that a level 20 rogue is only 20% more likely to pick a lock than a level 1 rogue?

You mean encouraging you to play a trap, fag, or Apache-attack-helicopter character, based on the shaky basis that Corellon was a tranny?

You mean putting literal drow in the Players Book as a core option, when drow would be burned at the stake on the surface?

You mean giving you a shitton of ability upgrades (something introduced by shit.5 and 4shit) then capping your abilities at 20, so that every fighter has 20 Strength after a few levels, and there is pretty much no diversity in high level stats?
>>
>>51529097
Players can't remember things

Should I let them misremember or allow them to roll history or what?

I stopped doing recaps at the beginning of each session
>>
>>51529094
Just sounded familiar
You know rituals to bring the end of the world and what not
Moon with a single blood red eye that takes most of its surface
Goddess that was raped/seduced by her father and which became the mother of all demons.
You know that type of dark elfs
>>
>>51529146
Why didn't the players take notes?
>>
>>51526654
>play past level 10
kek
>>
>>51529097
Is that a rhetorical question? You just ruled out the reasons people are dicks in real life, so yeah, why would any thinking species be evil absent those things?

There are studies that indicate that certain people are better at thinking about others. These people are also better at planning; apparently thinking about yourself in the future strains the same part of your brain as thinking about different people. But there's a pretty big gap between "not giving anyone I don't know anything" selfish and "kick a man while he's down because it's fun and I can get away with it" evil.
>>
File: 1465169087519.png (479KB, 672x503px) Image search: [Google]
1465169087519.png
479KB, 672x503px
>>51525388
Halfling trapper with great knowledge of animal behaviors and habits. Usually catches small creatures, but occasionally gets deer, and even once brought back a live bear. In good standing with local druid circle.
>>
>>51529138
>+2 to everything
Simplicity. Why give everyone slightly different numbers when it needlessly complicates things? You are either proficient or not. You either add that +2 or you don't. Simple. That's the idea, you don't take +1 or +2 or +3 or maybe +4 if this and this.

>rest structure
Honestly is a bit awkward with 5e and it could be better, but I don't see how it's any worse than pathfinder having rests to restore spells and such.

>orcs with 15 hitpoints
What's wrong with that?

>level 20 rogue
A level 20 rogue has +6 proficiency instead of +2, likely has 20 dexterity instead of 16, has two more expertises than a level 1 rogue, has reliable talent which means they always roll 10 or higher.. All that among other things, and possibility of having advanced tools by that point.
I like that the power gap is reduced, but don't forget that higher + bonuses means much better checks if you do 3d20 (three checks in a row) or roll until you get a high number, or simply your DM might say 'yes, you have a big modifier and this is a simple lock, you just pick the fucking lock'.

>encouraging to play a trap, etc
There's maybe one mention of this sort of thing in a part of the PHB that nobody cares to read anyway, probably. There's a very minimal level of this.

>drow as core option
It's merely a subrace and it doesn't take much space. Treatment of drow varies, some might not even have heard of them. If it were an entire race like tiefling, then this might be more valid.
>>
>>51525388
Human werewolf/sorcerer/wild magic
A grizzled old wanderer whose been dealing with lycanthropy all his life having saved his life many times now is trying to find a way to control it or a cure for it
>>
>>51529138
>>51529348
and finally
>stats at 20
Feats are not optional.
Fighters benefit greatly from feats, so they will be picking up feats.

Scaling stats beyond 20 just gets silly, unnecessary power creep. What is 'diversity' in stats? Rolling different numbers? That's a stupid concept. You think having a 21 instead of someone's 19 makes a game interesting?
The 20 cap prevents players from investing over and over in a stat and encourages them to pick up a fun feat or something or develop a different stat instead.

>>51529097
Biologically, it's possible to just be incredibly selfish or competitive. Maybe a god cursed your race to always be ANGERY
>>
>>51526624
Their forms blow post 10 and until you get infinity shaping, post 10 they're mostly casters with goons
>>
>>51529138
>Are these legitimate criticismd of 5e? A lot of people have been saying 5e is really bland.
>You mean retarded "everyone gets +2 to everything and no penalties cause that would be rayciss"?
No, the races lacked penalties because they were attempting to stay away from "You must use Race X when playing Class Z or you wont be able to use the class at all"

>You mean the stupid-ass rest structure that 4e created because apparently healing magic of all things was too unbalanced?
That rest structure existed long before 4e, it just wasn't called out as such. 3.PF still had stuff that you could use 1/day or X times/encounter. ex:spells and barbarian rage

>You mean giving basic orcs fifteen fucking hit points because of how 5e fucked up the class power levels?
I don't even know what exactly they criticizing.

>You mean dumbing down character power so that a level 20 rogue is only 20% more likely to pick a lock than a level 1 rogue?
uhhh, a level 20 rogue that wants to pick locks will have at the very least +9 more than the level 1 rogue, so that example is retarded, even without expertise, a level 1 rogue will have maybe a +5 to the roll? a level 20 will have +11

>You mean encouraging you to play a trap, fag, or Apache-attack-helicopter character, based on the shaky basis that Corellon was a tranny?
again, i have no idea what this person is going on about.

>You mean putting literal drow in the Players Book as a core option, when drow would be burned at the stake on the surface?
might as well complain that half-orcs and tieflings are core races too.

>You mean giving you a shitton of ability upgrades (something introduced by shit.5 and 4shit) then capping your abilities at 20, so that every fighter has 20 Strength after a few levels, and there is pretty much no diversity in high level stats?
lol, you know, unlike 3.pf where instead of having a 20 in str, you had a 30. Choo Choo! Here's comes the diverse stats train!

No, these are not valid complaints.
>>
>>51528628
Still too weak
Switching 6 and 14 make it even more weaker at low lvl
Stealing the capstone from the shadow sorc doesn't add shit since they get it at LVL 1 when you're remake give it to the warlock at fuckin LVL 14
Indestructible life need to be completly change or massively buff, whatever you get it at lvl 6 or 14, it's just too weak
Undying nature is just pure fluff, it need something to make it valuable in a concrete way

My take on this would be to mix together among the dead and indestructible life for lvl 1
Undying nature with something like darkvision or poison/disease immunities
STR of the grave/defy death at lvl 10
And a totally new capstone at lvl 14, I'm thinking something like an aura of sickness/death that cause people in the radius to be frightened or take necrotic damage, maybe both, i'm not really fine with this idea but it need atleast something that good

Overall it need some serious work
>>
>>51529454
It was just a rough draft from months ago. Still think it's better than vanilla Undying for sure
>>
>>51529138
Oh, if the first line is about racial penalties not being there, then..

The deal is that races are already guided towards certain classes because of their positives.
+2 dex means you're more likely to be a dex class. +2 strength means you're more likely to be a str class.
You COULD however make a +2 dex character who goes a strength class anyway or tries to play a strength class with requirement str 13 to multiclass with high dex instead.
However, that then means that if you put -2 strength these rare occasions for unusual characters is shut down.

Nothing about racism.
>>
>>51529138
Lv20 Rogue minimum roll to pick a lock is 21. 27 with expertise. There's hardly anything he wouldn't be able to pick.
>>
File: 1416955374676.png (21KB, 336x330px) Image search: [Google]
1416955374676.png
21KB, 336x330px
for those who missed the Acquisitions Inc. game

http://dnd.wizards.com/paxsouth2017
>>
Question about Faerie Fire: you have advantage on attacks against an affected creature, and they don't benefit from being invisible. Does that mean you have advantage against invisible creatures, or does Faerie Fire only cancel the disadvantage?
>>
>>51529543
>Acquisitions Inc.
Absolutely Disgusting.
>>
>>51529580
I think anyone in Faerie Fire is automatically made visible, though i dont think it dispels their invisibility, so leaving the zone makes them invisible again.
>>
>>51529543
>>51529613
It was pretty uneventful. Decent cliffhanger though.
>>
>>51529481
If you want to play a necro summoner for sure, it has a better choice in his spell list but I don't think that's how you are suppose to envision this archetype
It's less about manipulate the undead and more about becoming one, it's only my opinion tho
>>
>>51529348
>>51529376
>>51529396
>>51529492
>>51529506
Seems like someone who just wants to shitpost and shitpost poorly because they have actually have no understanding of the system. But hey, shooting their mouth off and looking like a retard is free.
>>
>>51529613
Do you hate fun?
>>
>>51528641
Legendary actions are my favorite change to monsters coming from 3.5 to 5e.
>>
i usually play a monk but i want to change things up

what class/race do i pick, /tg/
>>
>>51529780
well, a dwarf fighter is probably as far away from a monk as you can get.

But what do you WANT to play?
>>
>>51529780
If you were happy playing a monk, you'd be able to enjoy anything but a PHB beast master.
>>
>>51529710
If I had to give valid criticisms of 5e, it'd be things like

>high level spells are still kinda broken
>casters are still superior, even if it's mostly on the utility front, and some classes like rogues do actually have pretty decent utility
>there are still some trap options like pact of the blade and WOT4E and feats like Savage Attacker
>Feats too essential to strength-based characters
>int/cha/str saves introduced but they're still all dump stats mostly
>death save system sucks
>moon druids turning into animals for bags of HP just simply being annoying, mostly at lower levels
>monks/barbarians having unfulfilling later level options compared to other characters
>it's hard for melee combatants to tank and keep enemies away as there's no marking, unless they take sentinel to possibly stop one creature a round
>lack of content to choose from as 5e hasn't been out as long as pathfinder or something
>bounded accuracy means there's not much difference between a proficient person and a non-proficient person for a spot check of doing something, though this can easily be remedied with DM sense and things like 'no, you can't play the clarinet perfectly without proficiency by rolling a 20'.
>DMG magic items being too powerful for normal 5e games
>PHB supporting rolled stats
>stats have too much effect on rollplay but little on roleplay, can't roll them like in first editions of DnD where a high stat might give you +1 at best
>wizards with 1 level fighter dips
>>
>>51528641
>>51529736
Yeah, I thought legendary actions were a good way to mix up fights while dealing with the problem of an outnumbered boss.

With a normal action alone, there wouldn't be a whole lot for a single creature to do against a party of five people shooting shit at it and healing one another.
>>
>>51529813
>>monks/barbarians having unfulfilling later level options compared to other characters

Gotta disagree with that for monks. They're damn-near invincible after level 14 because of Diamond Soul and Empty Body.
>>
File: Savant Homebrew.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Savant Homebrew.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Would you play / would you let a player play a Savant? It's supposed to be a Sorcerer variant, not a whole new thing.

General opinions taken in as well. This will probably also be the last time I'll post the class before the Sorcerer UA comes out (whenever that will even come). After that I'll just probably drown it in the flood of other versions.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any of the other Sorcerer variant homebrews saved? I would kind of want to check them out.
>>
>>51525006
How does 5th edition compare to 3rd/3.5 and 4th editions?
>>
>>51529884
More balanced than 3.5e, less mechanically rigid than 4e, easier to learn and run than both.
>>
>>51529853
>disguise rolls
Disguise rolls?
>>
>>51529829
Diamond soul is good, but it doesn't make it up to paladin levels or anything where the paladin gives +saves to everyone. Guess the paladin doesn't get rerolls, but they do get other auras.

Empty body is level 18. Barbarian also gets a neat thing at level 20. Barbarians and monk both get a pretty nice thing at 14, but it doesn't make up enough for the level 6 to 13, which is a good number of levels there. They don't get their due justice level 11 feature like other classes do.

However, I guess the idea is both classes get bonuses just for levelling - monk gets lots of ki and slightly better punches, barbarian gets.. A tiny bit more HP. And some more rages and slightly more damage.

But, yeah, maybe monks are a bit more dubious because all that extra ki is great and the really good monk features come before level 20 but barbarians are definitely feeling lackluster.
>>
>>51529813
Not too sure how they'd be able to address the limited options issue unfortunately. They'd need to hire and teach more people than the three man core team they have currently.
They have approached 3pp in the past, but that quality (3pp produced work) has really been all over the place.
>>
>>51529853
5e doesn't list durations in numbers like "for 5 turns." It's either "1 action" or some length of minutes/hours.
>>
What's a good uncommon magic item for a level 5 monk? We're cycling DMs in our group and now we're making new characters. Dunno anything about the campaign yet, and I want to play a monk that's a maid.
>>
>>51529945
I feel the options are already pretty diverse even if not as much as 3e, but they need to fix past broken UAs and publish them properly.
>>
>>51529580
>they don't benefit from being invisible
>the disadvantage on the attacker is a benefit from being invisible
So I'd say the attacker now have advantage, since there is no disadvantage to cancel it out while the target is on faerie fire
>>
File: 1484443883324.jpg (150KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484443883324.jpg
150KB, 960x720px
Hey /tg/, I've encountered a bit of a dilemma.
I'm going to play a Divination wizard in an upcoming game, but I can't decide if I should go with High Elf or Drow regarding the race.
I mainly choose my race from a roleplaying perspective, though mechanics-wise it would probably be easier as a high elf since you gain longbow proficiency, but drow would net you more spells in the long run.

Any ideas on what do?
>>
Got a question for y'all
How does a player do something that requires the DM's attention WITHOUT the other players knowing that the player is performing that action.
Like poisoning a blade or poisoning someone else's food.
Asking for a friend.
>>
reminder that rolling for stats is a cancer that discourage group fun.
>>
>>51529580
I believe you'd get advantage (not just cancel disadvantage) because you can see their glowing outline, and they don't get any benefits from invisibility. In practice, they're not really invisible while affected by it.
>>
I want to pay homage to one of my fellow players character when I DM CoS, a trickster bard character, who survived his jaunt through barovia by pumping as much misdirection, intrigue and back channeling as humanely possible to ensure the party had as much leeway as they could up until the climax, but I don't see much where the story has that can offer up room for a character like him.

The most obvious place seems like swapping out Rictavio's role, but it doesn't feel like CoS without him, and maybe I'm over complicating a big campaign, but I feel like this would be a nice opportunity for me to train a bit of my improv.

Where do you think I could fit such a small plot line? Should I just refluff Esmerelda with him?
>>
>>51530063
Notecards or text messaging to the DM. Someway of being discreet enough to have others think its not "hey I wanna do X"

>asking for a friend

You're poisoning someone aren't you.
>>
>>51530063

Text message their number
>>
>>51530107
>>51530091
Same goes for p2p. So long as you're not ERPing through Message and I'm allowed to read it as well since it could have an effect on the game, I'd be fine with it as a DM,
>>
>>51530091
So you see my friend has this questline where he intends to murder a member of the group and it just so happens that the DM has had enough of (Insert Murder Victim Here)'s shenanigans and negative attitude. He came to my friend and asked: "Could you get rid of him, as he is being a hinderance to the fun and is in general a real dick"
The player in question is not a douchebag as a dick character, but he is as a player cancerous to the group.
That's why the DM asked my friend if he could do it as it would go along with his quest. My friend agreed and is now destined to find a poison vial in a tomb they are currently exploring.
The action of poisioning his food or smearing poison on his weapon is what he is worried about, because if the rest of the group finds out about this he will be exiled from the group.
>>
>>51530063
Via post it notes.
Through Discord.
Through Steam.
Through t>>51530063
ext messages.
>>
>>51530050
High elf so you don't come off as an edgelord.
>>
>>51529968
I don't know about effects, but it has to be a broomstick as a quarterstaff.
>>
>>51530163

Dude if he gets caught, just have the DM have someone put a Geas on him.

A bard to make sure he lays it the Save with Disadvantage
>>
>>51530163
Should be simple enough via notecards or text messaging. The only thing that might tip people off is when he has to roll sleight of hand and everyone else just sees blind rolls.

Might be able to get away with it being something he does during camping/keeping watch.
>>
How do you think a game would go if you allowed players to be proficient in any skill of there choice, up to the amount of proficiencies they would get
>>
>>51530196
I mean, I'd probably have to play as an edgelord to actually be an edgelord I reckon.
Besides, we already have That Guy in our group that always plays a small, scaly race like kobolds or lizardfolk. In every campaign.

Figured I wouldn't be as bad as him even if I went drow.
>>
>>51530163
Why hasn't your DM just kicked the dick player from the group?
>>
>>51530207
That's not how cutting words works
>>
>>51530249
L-lizardfolk are cool.
>>
>>51530164
>>51530063
> Not using LINE
Amerifat is sad
>>
>>51530249
Scaled races are cool. I'm not even a scaly and I know that.
>>
File: constance.gif (146KB, 200x151px) Image search: [Google]
constance.gif
146KB, 200x151px
>>51526764
>11d6 damage per turn at 150ft
>pushing shotgun blast
>piercing laser beam
>aoe grenade
Gunsmith options seem worlds better than the junk from that alchemist's bag.
>>
File: mc.jpg (14KB, 296x170px) Image search: [Google]
mc.jpg
14KB, 296x170px
>>51530249
Vanilla Elf is better than Chocholate Elf anyway.
>>
Does the Rakshasa's Limited Magic Immunity prevent its true form from being seen by someone using True Seeing, since it's a 6th-level spell?
>>
>>51530291
Not as good to use if no one has fucking heard of it. What's its deal?
>>
>>51530307
It's about on par with a rogue, really.
>>
>>51530307
Alchemist's acid can melt pretty much melt any large section of object at level 10.

Why walk through the dungeon when you can just melt the wall and floor?
>>
>>51530289
>>51530300
Hey, I'm not dissing the race, it's just that he has never played anything else in the 14 years I've been playing in the group he's in.

>>51530330
I mean, I wasn't really trying to sexualize the races, not really into that.
But whatever floats your boat, anon, I won't judge.
>>
>>51530260

Instruments of the Bards m8. Don't leave your home without one.

Saves vs Charm spells are made at disadvantage.
>>
File: Roy_FE_Heroes_DramaticPose.png (4MB, 3330x2674px) Image search: [Google]
Roy_FE_Heroes_DramaticPose.png
4MB, 3330x2674px
How do I go about playing this guy? In short, I want to swing explosions at people.
>>
>>51530463
Eldritch Knight with booming blade and greenflame blade cantrips, refluff them to be fire?
>>
Is there a supplement for the old elemental sorcerous origin from 3.5/PF for 5th?
>>
>>51530220
He is playing as a Skeleton, so he never sleeps.
Should suggest that he'd do it while staying awake.
>>51530256
Because it's the players first actual campaign.
>>
>>51530491
That's what I figured. Thanks.
>>
File: Camilla_FE_Heroes_3.png (58KB, 317x431px) Image search: [Google]
Camilla_FE_Heroes_3.png
58KB, 317x431px
>>51530463
> Got my waifu on the third gasha roll
How do I go about playing this girl? In short, I want to swing giant axe and cast magic while riding a wyvern, also being the best big sister to the party.
>>
>>51530463
>>51530541

Roman?
>>
>>51530463
>>51530491
Don't forget to make him into a half-dragon human. My headcanon is the only canon.
>>
>>51530491
>refluff flame to be fire
I love you guys

>>51530494
None official. The sorcerer with element-stuff is the draconic, and good luck finding a decent homebrew you there.
>>
>>51530565
>refluff flame to be fire
Hey, I'll have you know that I am only SLIGHTLY retarded, thank you very much.

:(
>>
File: 1485763997631.jpg (163KB, 818x503px) Image search: [Google]
1485763997631.jpg
163KB, 818x503px
>>51530565
The wings and draconic presence is a turnoff so I might just reference the 3.5 origin and just homebrew 2 abilities myself
>>
>>51530504
>Because it's the players first actual campaign.
So? If you want to give the guy another chance, talk to him about the problems and see if he improves. Otherwise, tell him to leave. Trying to get some kind of revenge in-character is just immature.
>>
>>51530343
Pretty much all the standard communication apps (chat message, send picture and video, free internet phone call) + cute sticker.

Auto invite anyone in your phone number and social network.

Food delivery, read mango and other feature I never actually use.

It's super popular in Asia though, and all the animu characters use it.
>>
A holy avenger is only attune-able by a paladin, and if the paladin has 17 or more levels in the paladin class they get a bonus to it's special effect.

A level 13 rogue thief has the ability where they can ignore race, level, and class requirements for attuning to weapons.

Would the thief's ability only count toward the actual attunement to the weapon, or would it also carry over to the passive boost needing 17 paladin levels?
>>
>>51530635
IIRC, it would count towards the latter one aswell.
UMD is pretty damn nifty and pretty much the only reason to play a Thief.
>>
>Playing CoStrahd
>Got two gems back to the winery
>Casting the eight hour plantgrowth has restored Champagne de Lu Stomp (for a year)
>However, Cleric also has cast Hallow on the winery to protect it from further invasions
>As the Champagne flows back into Barovian market, the demand rushes to absorb supply and distribute it as far and wide as possible
>Red Crush and Dragon Mash prices drop as Campagne helps even out the niche
>Dunks everywhere are getting their hammered on the stuff
>Vampire Spawns attack Vallakis
>We're completely overwhelmed
>After a couple of rounds however, the vampires start getting sick
>On the third round they puke blood and begin to die
>Casting Hallow on the Winery embued the grapes with holy power
>Sucking wino's blood gave them all radiant damage

He's been running a pretty brutal campaign, so sometimes I love my DM's sense of humor.
>>
>>51530746
Does he frequent /tg/?
Because there was literally a question about exactly this a few threads back.
>>
>>51530593
The DM already did that. It wouldn't have escalated to this scale if he actually behaved during the last session. He was particularly nasty towards my character (coming clean here, not my friend I was asking for) as when we were delving into some of my backstory he soundly replied with: "That's fucking boring, can we skip your shit and just get on with the encounters?"
Not only has he severely fucked me over during the campaign by activating traps on me and locking me in with several beasts, but he is just a general hinderance to the team. He takes no tame to actually delve into roleplaying and focuses more on the raw stats of an encounter. He has avoided or tried to get throug the dialogue faster with every single friendly encounter with any NPC's we've met. He prides himself on fucking with others, yet his character is Lawful Neutral.
He is the epitome of a bad player.
He also said that DM's favorite video game was shit and overrated out loud when I was hanging with the DM. Nobody asked him for his opinion, he just blurted it out of nowhere and made the DM mad
>>
>>51530699
Too bad level 13 campaign doesn't actually exist.
>>
>>51530587
The "Investiture of X" spells might give you some inspiration
>>
>>51530815
So why haven't you told him to leave the group?
>>
>>51530837
I mean, it depends on a lot of things.
My group has had 4 or 5 campaigns lasting until between lvl 12 - 15.
>>
>>51530891
You don't exist ;_;
>>
File: snxFRZp.jpg (223KB, 1920x991px) Image search: [Google]
snxFRZp.jpg
223KB, 1920x991px
>>51530940
Don't worry anon, your time will come to enjoy the lovely rocket-tag pastures of high level D&D.
>>
>>51530798

Oh shit, I hope not.
Dennis?
>>
>>51530956
Not him but we really need an epic levels rulebook
>>
>>51530996
Nah mate, unfortunately not.
The reason I recall it was because I scrolled past the thread and as I'm also playing CoS at the moment, I noticed the guy asking if a high level cleric casting Hallow and a druid casting Plant Growth would create anti-vampire wine.

It's eerily similar so if your DM really did that then it seems likely that he is a fellow /tg/er.
>>
>>51531028
Unsure if WotC would go to that length.
I think they know that most campaigns are between 3 - 8 or some shit and I don't think they'd want to waste hours and money on tailoring high level rules.
>>
>>51531073
What kind of digusting fucking faggot would be content to stop at level 8? That's when the fun begins
>>
>>51531054

couple of theads? I'll ctrl+f it. thx
>>
>>51525388
High Elf, Werewolf, Eldritch Knight 12/ Mystic 2;
basically a ronin, gaining skills with all arms to open a school to combine his magic and martial prowess and teach it to others. Current goal is to tame the werewolf within and master trauma induced psychic powers.
>>
>>51530879
We told him to leave if he wasn't gonna comply
He assured us that he would shape up
He did not
Now DM wants to remind him that this world isn't fair
>>
>>51531110
That's just how it mostly goes.
By level 8, most parties either end up dead or the campaign falls apart or any number of circumstances can arise.

Mainly because even if it's 5e, rocket-tag is still very much alive in some forms. Though now it's mostly the fact that mobs are damage sponges to crazy degrees and still dish out heavy damage.

Hell, my rogue in CoS got one-rounded at lvl 8 by a roc.
Did 82 damage in a single round when my health was 59.
>>
>>51531122
This one? >>51481227
>>
>>51531122
Aye, not entirely sure how many threads ago it was, been out with a nasty cold all week so time has been kind of a blur.
Hope you find it atleast!
>>
>>51531158

>tfw you're not a special snowflake any more
>>
>>51531158
Oh yeah that's the one, holy shit you worked fast, and also it seems my memory was correct aswell.
>>
>>51531155
was that before or after uncanny dodge?
>>
>>51531158
Fucking fuck fuck I mouse over it and didn't realize it was a CoS spoiler, and we literally just escorted a shipment to Krezk

Oh well.
>>
>>51531155
What's the big deal? Have your party carry you and travel to the biggest town around and pay a priest to resurrect you.

You got to be prepared anyway
>>
>>51531231
The deal is... rocket tag isn't fun.

If I want a rocket tag combat I would just play 3.5 or pf, where one Save-or-die spell decide the encounter.
>>
Teach me how to play Lucky Diviner!

My DM like to remove player agency, so it's time for me to remove his DM agency.
>>
>>51531268
Sounds like your DMs either suck ass at designing encounters and/or you lack the necessary creativity to deal with them.

I played campaigns of all levels, including epic ones in 3.5 and never had that problem.
>>
>innadungeon
>find a strange statue, want to check it for safety
>DetectMagic.ritual
>DM: "As soon as your ritual completes, you are immediately bombarded with magical energy from every angle. The entire dungeon is radiating magical energy to the point you can't make out any one single object"
Why do DMs do this? Are they seriously implying that even the walls have some sort of magic cast on them? I think it's just a lazy form of radar jamming because they don't want me to know what to expect.
>>
>>51531215
I remembered incorrectly, it was 92 in a round.
After. Uncanny Dodged the first hit which was a claw swipe for 33 damage down to 22.
And then a beak crit for 70 damage.

>>51531231
If you actually read my previous posts, the post wasn't about my character dying, it was used as an example that higher level campaigns tend to fall off due to character deaths etc.
Also;
>pay a priest to resurrect you.
Ah yes, because having a combined total of 650 gold will pay for a ressurrection. Also, town priest in Vallaki can't ressurrect people IIRC.
Aswell as Tsolenka Pass being a days ride up into the mountains.
>>
>>51531311

Halfling Lucky Diviner.actually.
>>
>>51531345
>I played campaigns of all levels, including epic ones in 3.5 and never had that problem.

Wut?
So what you are saying is that in all of your time in 3.5, you've never had a character been hit by Hold Person and had an ogre do 140+ damage in a hit on them?
I would say, that in fact, your DM seems to be playing it wrong or pulling punches.

>>51531378
>Are they seriously implying that even the walls have some sort of magic cast on them?
I mean, could have permanent light/ghost sound/alarm/whatever lodged into them. Don't underestimate wizards.
>>
>>51531380

Well, there's a couple of other ways

>Abbey of Saint Markovia
>Amber Temple
>Dr Von Richten
>Be a revenant
>>
Is this true in 5e?

Welcome to the retarded-ass d20 mechanic where a fucking house cat has a 1 in 3 chance of breaking down a solid oak door.

Not only are the modifiers too small, the system has checks for absolutely retarded shit. Like Strength checks for lifting an elevator. What the actual fuck? I roll a d20 and add my 20% chance of success for being 18 fucking strength, then fail anyway while some housecat can lift it if he rolls an 18+? Go fuck yourself d20 system. Just fucking die of Cancer already.
>>
>>51531423
My rogue became a revenant, and now he's died so many times that he's riddled with debilitating flaws and near insanity.
also I am salty about von Richten suddenly being a high level caster instead of the old rogue-ish dude in the older versions of CoS
Also our sorcerer did take the ressurrection gift in Amber Keep
>>
>>51531378
"Well, I guess they are magic-imbue object or magic item then... I'll cast identify as ritual, tell me all of its property"
>>
>>51531378

I'll kindly redirect you to both the Nystul's Magic Aura and the Guards and Wards spells.

One of the first things I did to my travelling wagon was since Glyph's can't travel, then I'd stuff it full of so many low level charms, like Magic Mouth, Arcane Lock, Nystul's Auras and whatever that the inside would light up like a christmas tree

I got arcane locks that open up to an empty safe with nothing but another arcane lock inside of it that doesn't even open to any thing else
>>
>>51531439
Ah yes, I too wish to roll about 700 d6's along with exploding dice to see how fucking better I am at pouring cereal than a normal man.

Also, a house cat cannot lift an elevator because it has no strength.
High roll doesn't automatically mean a success, you still need to have a fair amount of actual strength since there is an actual calculation of how much you CAN lift given certain strength thresholds.
>>
>>51531455

the rogue is known as "the corpse" for a reason...

I think being "a candle that burns twice as bright" is part of the design
>>
>>51531439
No. Object has treshold. Cat only do 1 damage and will never break oak door.
>>
>>51531439
No and is not true in any d20 system. Guaranteed skill success on a 20 has just been a legacy house-rule that everybody assumes.

DC is set based on the difficulty of the task, a house cat lifting an elevator would be ruled as either nearly impossible, bare minimum having a DC of 30. Unless that cat's got +10 in Strength, you can stop bitching about 'muh skill crits'
>>
>>51531380
>Aswell as Tsolenka Pass being a days ride up into the mountains.

You have up to 10 days and you can extend that duration by another 10 days by simply casting a level 2 cleric spell.

>>51531418
>Ogre
>140+ damage

Could you possibly be more clueless?
>>
>>51531455
Your rogue should farm giant rats for some humanity.
>>
>People don't play past level 10
>Combat becomes too lethal

How? Resurrection magic is common, you have tons of money. Is WotC official adventure material really that shitty?
>>
>>51531496
Now he's a narcissistic asshole candle with an imaginary friend and has to roll a DC 15 will save when struck, if it fails he'll break down and either laugh, cry or scream for a round.

Best part?
It'll only get worse seeing as my being is bound to the destruction of Strahd. If my party fails then my character is forever bound in limbo, growing progressively more insane the more he dies.
>>
>>51531505

well, actually

What a reasonable DM would assume is that an elevator has about the same weight as a wagon, which is qualified about 400 pounds, which is something contemplated under the "Push-Drag-Lift" rule of encumbrance, where the maximum amount relative to your strength score and size class give you an apreciation of the DC of the challenge.

For a Medium creature like an orc, the DC is X (Maybe 20)

For a Tiny creature, the DC is X and then some. Like, I do't know, X*4

If the cat could ever roll an 80, say, it's Beerus from Dragon Ball, then there'd be a point to this example.
>>
>>51531549

In theory, you should stop getting madness checks once you go revenant.

Have you been to Argynvost yet?
>>
>>51531529
>You have up to 10 days and you can extend that duration by another 10 days by simply casting a level 2 cleric spell.
We have no cleric and there was a deadline of 3 days set upon us until the BBEG would do some horrendous shit, meaning we can't go back to the town.
Instead of actually trying to argue that "BUT YOU CAN TOTALLY JUST DEUS EX MACHINA THAT SHIT BECAUSE SYSTEM", there are other limitations to such things than just what is systematically possible within 5e.

>Could you possibly be more clueless?
Lvl 10 or so ogre chieftain, huge size with a human-bane ogrehook on a helpless victim causing instant coup-de-grace.
It seems it is you who are clueless, my friend.

>>51531535
As I love Dark Souls, I appreciate that comment.

>>51531542
>Resurrection magic is common
Depends ENTIRELY on the module.
>you have tons of money
Depends entirely on your DM.
>Is WotC official adventure material really that shitty?
This is a flaw with D&D in general and has existed since AD&D more or less with the fucking Death Giants and whatnot. Everything is HYPER lethal at higher levels if you don't take every necessary precaution.
>>
>>51531439
What the fuck are you even talking about? It's like you think rolling 20 on a d20 automatically means you do whatever the fuck you want

Gotta love when the retards call the rule designers retards just because their tiny brains can't even comprehend such simple rules.
>>
>>51531603
I don't like the concept of consequence-less death, so me and the DM decided that madness would be a great fit.
We're also not running with the "regain 1 hp per round" because that'd be retarded if I ever went unconscious since I'd auto stabilize every round.

>Have you been to Argynvost yet?
Have not and it doesn't seem like we will since we're at lvl 9 right now and assaulting Ravenloft.
Though I know that there is a revenant there IIRC.
>>
>>51531614
Sounds entirely a problem of modules instead of running your own actual campaign.

I really don't think 'instant lethality' is a problem inherent to the system, just a problem with the system's content producers.
>>
Weren't epic level handbooks for 20+, not just for 10 and above... like common guys..,
>>
>>51531666
>Sounds entirely a problem of modules instead of running your own actual campaign.
No, the actual mobs are hyper lethal. Hence the term rocket-tag, because you aim to blow them up in a single round before they can blow one of you up in a single round.

>I really don't think 'instant lethality' is a problem inherent to the system, just a problem with the system's content producers.
It's been like this since AD&D, hence it isn't producer related since WotC definitely didn't own D&D back then.
AD&D has for example the Death Giant, which is an undead giant that does 8d8 damage per hit.
A wizard back then had a d4 hit dice.
>>
BTW running a homebrew, looking for court intrigue and more NPC-ey kinda ressources... Anyone got some favorites?
>>
>>51531734
I guess we play pretty differently then. I've had a lot of campaigns go past 10 and in general you just need somebody who can cast some sort of resurrection magic.

The only painful deaths are when a large chunk of the party goes down, or the whole party. Revivify is a 3rd level spell, for fuck's sake.

Do you just never have precautions or magical items, or any character with resistances? We're talking about 5e, right?
>>
>>51531614
kek, gotta love how the 140dmg from an ogre suddenly turns up into a combination of a special homemade level 10 ogre that somehow gets an adventurer paralyzed with hold person and coup de grace him.

That alone means the players facing him and his tribe are 12+, which means passing the DC of a spell level 2 cast by monsters is a complete joke.

140 damage is what a fucking TITAN with all its attacks. And that's a cr21 monster.

Clueless.
>>
>>51531821
5e in general, but it applies to every form of D&D, 5e is just a bit more lenient and easier than most others.
For example in 3.5, if you have 15 con and an hp of 55, if you take 70 damage then you die outright. No save or nothing, instantly dead. This is a very real possibility when most mobs at higher levels start doing a lot of damage, even more so when crits happen.

>Revivify is a 3rd level spell, for fuck's sake.
Most of the campaigns I've played has not had a divine caster in it, saying that it is mandatory would go against 5e's motto of being casual fun and whatnot.

>Do you just never have precautions or magical items, or any character with resistances?
Wot?
Magical items are close to non-existant in 5e, atleast in most modules and campaigns. At lvl 8 in CoS we had two magical weapons in a group of 5 people, and none of those were a +1.
Also, gaining resistance as a player is more or less only reserved for a barbarian, atleast regarding physical resistance.

And sure, you can have precautions, most of the time they're either moot or doesn't actually work in the situation you've encountered.
>>
>>51531835
>gotta love how the 140dmg from an ogre suddenly turns up into a combination of a special homemade level 10 ogre that somehow gets an adventurer paralyzed with hold person and coup de grace him

Jaagrath Kreeg from Rise of the Runelords chapter 3, 5d6+36 against humans, x3 critical.
He could've done 190 damage if maxing it out.
Also pardon me, he was only level 7.

If you're going to argue, atleast play the system before going autistic, you retarded fuck.
>>
>>51531992
Also, that is just one of his attacks.
He could've done 380 damage in a round if I had that much health.
>>
>>51531896
>CoS
>Modules, adventures

So back to my original opinion that modules and adventures are pretty shitty because they're meant to focus more on combat and lethality, especially CoS.

I feel like we're talking about two very different styles of play. I've honestly never experienced what you're talking about.
>>
Besides vampiric touch what spells hurt others and heal you/allies?
>>
>>51532036
Again, the lethality doesn't come from the module, it comes from the monsters.
The roc I mention earlier does a beak attack for 4d8+9 and claw attacks for 4d6+9. On a level where most of the characters have between 50 and 80 hp, that is a LOT of damage in a single round.

Sure, you can make your own campaigns, but you will still need to grab actual monsters to fit into it, and at higher level that gets lethal.
>>
>>51531992
>>51532010
Oh and the Hold Person was from a lamia spellcaster in the room with him, in case you didn't know that most giants can't cast spells, especially not barbarian ones.
>>
Cloak of protection or cloak of displacement?
>>
Insignia of Claws doesn't require attunement?
>>
Anything worth throwing at someone besides oil, acid, and alchemist fire?

Trying to decide if I want to create my own makeshift alchemist and if it's gonna be worth it to take tavern brawler.

Gonna also be a cleric so I plan on having enough bonus actions to not mind using my action for things like this. So no thief multiclass.
>>
>>51532256
Artificer. Has a whole subclass for it.
>>
>>51532099
We're talking in circles at this point so I'll just say this-

If it's really that big of a problem for you, you really should be playing different styles of campaigns, or if your DM is really not that smart, not D&D.
>>
>>51532282
Right. I'm gonna be making my own makeshift alchemist.

I'm gonna be a cleric that is also an alchemist. So I'm gonna be proficient with alchemist tools, RP as an alchemist, and possibly throw things at people in combat.
>>
>>51531835
Also to even further reiterate,
>140 damage is what a fucking TITAN with all its attacks. And that's a cr21 monster.

Are you actually fucking retarded?
A Balor, CR20, does around 120 damage in a round without any crits and if he crits, he instantly kills whatever he's hitting since he has Vorpal.
And this is on a CASTER demon.
>>
The 5e modules definitely have some dumbshit unnecessary skill checks in there.

Like "Here's this wooden door. DC 15 to break it down."

So what happens if I roll a 14? It's a wooden door, jackass, you can't be like "Ahh sorry this door is impossible for you to force open". I have an axe and the door is made of wood, I have all the time in the world.

They always do this for locks, too. You're not going to jam a lock even if you fuck up massively with lockpicks, unless it's trapped or you're on a timer, just let the thief open the damn lock.
>>
>>51532287
It isn't a big problem for me, it is an inherent problem with D&D and how it scales. Regardless of what kind of campaign you play, you will end up facing high level opponents.

Unless you do a campaign that has no combat from lvl 1 to wherever you end up at, but that wouldn't be D&D at that point.
>>
>>51532351
Doesn't vorpal only activate on a nat 20 in 3.5, not when you get a crit?
>>
>>51532362
Because it assumes you're only actually asking for that check if there is a consequence of failure, like the DMG says you should.
>>
>>51532429
This. So many people forget this.
>>
>>51532351
Also thirdly;
>>140 damage is what a fucking TITAN with all its attacks. And that's a cr21 monster.
Again, are you retarded?

4x 6d8+28. That isn't even counting power attack. That is also 304 damage if maxed the dice.
With power attack you'd be looking at 4x 6d8 + 42.
>>
>>51532494
God I hate 3rd.
>>
>>51532384
Fair point, I was having 5e in mind. It's using a Longsword so it has 19-20 crit range.
So yes, you won't automatically die on a crit, but if he rolls a nat 20 then you're fucked.
Also that was counting without any of his feats, not even with Power Attack which drastically increases the damage.
>>
>>51532362
Look up "taking" different amounts when there's no cost or time limit to the thing you're doing. If you have a resilient axe against a wooden door, you just take 20 and assume you broke it in a few minutes or however long the DM says.
>>
>>51532516
It scales like a mad cunt at higher levels.
Though the main issue with high CR monsters isn't the physical damage they can deal.

It's the fact that they're pretty much all 9th level spellcasters.
>>
>>51532604
Even the low-level spells were enough to piss me off. I remember when my friends were first getting sick of 3.5, we finally gave up mid fight because we were all stuck in a web spell, and so were several enemies. It was so insanely tedious that I couldn't bring myself to play again for several months.
>>
How do you play Lance and board? Is it worth dipping in Rogue for expertise in athletic, so I can shove people out with shield master before stabbing them?
>>
>>51532742
How are you going to stay mounted 24/7
>>
>>51531896
>>Revivify is a 3rd level spell, for fuck's sake.
>Most of the campaigns I've played has not had a divine caster in it, saying that it is mandatory would go against 5e's motto of being casual fun and whatnot.
AKA
>my play group willingly chooses to ignore half the available classes, and are mad when specific situations are more difficult as a result
>>
>>51532791
Find Steed? Phantom Steed? Party Druid? Polymorph someone into my steed?
>>
>>51532742
Being proficient is generally good enough, you don't need expertise. Few monsters can keep up with it, and most that can you can't shove anyway because they are too large.
>>51532791
Why would he need to? Lance/shield turns into sword/shield when you aren't mounted yo.
>>
How do i make a good Eldritch Knight?
>>
New thread >>51533020
>>
>>51529911
Whoops. That is true. Deception rolls to pass off as the person*

>>51529958
Shit. Gotta think something up for this then. Probably one minute then, make regular mons-transform use minutes equal to half savant level, maybe..?

That does break the balance a bit, I must admit. Have some difficulty addressing that directly.
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.