[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How beginner-friendly is FNM, really?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

How beginner-friendly is FNM, really?
>>
>>51512463
it's been a while since I've been but it's meant to be a first-step to competitive play, if it's not kind to beginners it's not going to draw an audience. that said, if you're a complete beginner you shouldn't plan on success out of the gate.
>>
>>51512463
Very. It's pretty relaxed. Especially if it's just Draft or Standard, you're going to get a bunch of laid back dudes and lax- ish rules enforcement.
>>
>>51512463
First off, FNM is not just a single event, it's just a program that LGSs do and host a majority of it's mtg events on so I'm going to break this down by tournament type as best I can for you

Standard: Pretty fucking brutal for a new player since it requires bringing a 60 card deck + sideboard within the ban list and legal blocks. Not to mention a lot of people netdeck top8 decks, so a lot of decks will just be outright better

Modern: More brutal than standard

Draft/Constructed: The most newbie friendly, you build a deck on the spot from packs. In draft you pass the packs, constructed you get 6 packs to make a 40 card deck. You still won't win, but it will be more fun and removes the advantage of having spent more on the game. You also keep what you draft.

Casual play: Most people that play casually at FNM play EDH, it's fun and beginner friendly enough with a precon, you just won't do very well. 60 card casual is a total crap shoot
>>
Depends on your game store.
Some stores do very casual Fridays with no real format. Others do weekly standard/draft/modern/legacy.
I always recommend going to a prerelease.
Have a decent knowledge of deckbuilding and rules. Learn to not make misplays.
>>
Depends heavily on your FLGS.
At many medium to bigger places, people are tryharding the shit out of it, though. You'll lose against good players either way, but there may be a bunch of shitters around that run purely on big wallets and if you have a crappy deck, you'll likely fold even if they are dumb fucks.
The best way to enjoy FNM as a beginners is building some dumb but fun budget deck that someone came up with, take the wins you can get and just enjoy playing the game itself. The salt you generate every time you beat a sperglord with your shitty budget deck is an added bonus.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.