[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 351
Thread images: 28

File: 193219313.jpg (456KB, 1600x2295px) Image search: [Google]
193219313.jpg
456KB, 1600x2295px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >>51501611

ITT we come up with classes, archetypes and feats that should be in the next splatbook. I'll start.
Feat that makes throwing weapons viable.
>>
Am I reading this right? Did they make a Ranger archetype that lets you become a treeant?
>>
>>51509309
Yup.
>>
Super Duper noob here who usually only comes to /tg/ for mtg threads. I just moved into an apartment with some friends who all have shown interest in playing dnd and I've played a little but a really long time ago and they want me to dm. What are the must download pdf's in the mega trove that i need to learn even how to begin to learn this game/
>>
>>51509380
Player's Handbook is a good start to actually learn the rules. DMG continues information and advice for DM - how to build encounters and what not. Monster Manual contains monsters.

Don't fall for the "I'll come up with my own campaign right now!" meme. Start with an official adventure.
Lost Mines of Phandelver is a good start. It's also in the mega.
>>
>>51509380
Player's Handbook and Monster Manual are NEEDS. They show how to make characters and what monsters you can put against them.

The DMG is slightly less necessary, as it teaches you good habits and specific rules.

Basically that is it. If you need a setting, the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide is full of lore for a place called The Forgotten Realms.

That's it, the rest is dice pencils and papers
>>
File: tumblr_nhjsmgYYIa1tvfm0ko3_1280.jpg (789KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhjsmgYYIa1tvfm0ko3_1280.jpg
789KB, 849x1200px
>>51509309
so if you become large sized at will, that means you can wield a large sized longbow

what would the damage of that be?

basically im imaging something like this as your character, but more leafy
>>
>>51509380

DMing is going to take A LOT of time. Keep that in mind as you proceed. I'd start with LMOP, because it's basically for new DMs who don't know what the fuck they're doing. You probably want to read the DMG and the Player's Handbook.

The only other thing you'll want is the Monster Manual, which you'll mostly use as a reference for monster statistics as they show up. It has a lot of neat 'lore' on the monsters too that you could use for inspiration one day when you stop using official entries.
>>
File: undying.png (707KB, 611x821px) Image search: [Google]
undying.png
707KB, 611x821px
What's the relationship between warlocks and other magic users in your setting?
>>
>>51509464
Weapon sizes are not a thing in 5e.
>>
>>51509464

+1d4 damage right?

I'd get a melee weapon too though, just because it's hard to move. Or you should pair up with a Wizard with Dimension door prepared. He can sit in your branches and teleport you out of dodge while you go ham with your bow.
>>
>>51509464
Monster stats seem to show it doubles dice. D8 to 2d8. But the enlarge spell says d4 additional damage.

As a DM you might get the d4 if I like your character.
>>
>>51509443
>>51509454
Thanks a bunch my dudes

>>51509470
dont worry im defiantly not THAT ambitious yet
>>
>>51509464
They have double damage dice.
>>
>>51509474
Every kind of magic user looks down on other magic users.
Wizards are snooty nerds, Sorcerors got lucky, Paladins, Clerics, and Warlocks are know-nothing children who got handed their power for coloring inside the lines, etc. etc.
>>
>>51509474
Generally pretty mixed. In some places, they're recognised as Clergy and are treated with respect by Divine Casters, but in other places/certain patrons they're hunted down by the Clerics and Paladins.
Fey and GOO locks are treated by Druids and Rangers as OK as default, as long as they don't begin attacking nature they're cool. Fiendlocks usually have to prove themselves trustworthy, though there one or two Eco-Terrorist demons in my setting that the druids would like.
Sorcerers and Wizards, being incredibly rare, don't really have an unified opinion.
>>
>>51510167
I actually got in good with a group of Druids because early on, for flavor, I chose to make my Fiend Patron Zuggtmoy, and they were cool with our mutual understanding of the cycle of death, rot, and growth.
>>
>>51510157
Nah, Paladins and Clerics are (literally) holier-than-thou assholes and Warlocks are the law grads to Wizards' science grads
>>
>>51509464
When a weapon is artificially enlarged via the Enlarge spell, it's +1d4 additional damage.

When a weapon was made at that size, it's damage die changes. That's why a Fire Giants' Greatsword does 6d6 damage.

You double the die damage for a Large-sized creature's weapon, triple it for Giant-sized, and quadruple it for Gargantuan-sized.
>>
Reposting this from last thread, as I didn't see it was in auto-sage mode and am looking for advise.

One of my players asked about if they could get ahold of a Greatbow, and I told them maybe, mainly to buy me time to think it over.

I want to give it to them, but now I'm left wondering how to design a greatbow for 5th edition. So far this is what I'm thinking:

Greatbow, cost - 65g

Damage - 1d12 piercing

Weight - 10 lbs.

Properties - Ammunition (range 200/800), Heavy, Two-Handed, Special

Special: When performing an attack with this weapon, you use your STR modifier instead of your DEX modifier, as it requires intense upper body strength to properly aim and fire from this weapon. In addition, attacks made with this weapon while on a mount are at disadvantage, as the unstable gait of the creature throws you off balance to properly aim the arrow.
>>
>>51509464
Since it doesn't mention that your weapon damage changes, as it does in the Enlarge/Reduce spell, the only conclusion I can draw is that it doesn't change at all.
>>
>>51510303
The way you design a greatbow for 5e is to just make it a longbow. Wacky exotic weapons with unique rules are a thing of previous editions; this is the edition of refluffing ordinary weapons if you really need to be a special snowflake.
>>
>>51510338
I'm asking because the person in question just wants an option for a long-range attack to use against fleeing enemies, and they are playing the tanky frontliner in plate who dumped DEX because he didn't think he'd need it because Heavy Armor.

I'm not saying he is going to get it for free; he'd have to find a blacksmith skilled enough to make it, then train to use it.
>>
Official sources/AL legal
>>
>>51510392
Fuckin everything
>>
File: monster weapon die explanation.png (313KB, 444x402px) Image search: [Google]
monster weapon die explanation.png
313KB, 444x402px
>>51510305
The problem with that though is there is precedent in 5e for weapon die changing based on size.

Pic related, page 278 of the DMG, when referring to a DM making monsters for the PCs to fight.
>>
>>51510390
There's already a Strength-based ranged weapon. It's called a javelin.
>>
File: Knight-with-Squire.jpg (97KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Knight-with-Squire.jpg
97KB, 700x700px
[5e] Does anyone have experience with the Noble(Knight) background?

I understand the servant and groom are non-combatants, but can the Squire fight? Can they all serve as lookouts? Can they construct fortifications? etc.
>>
>>51510423
You can't assume that every rule of thumb for designing monsters also applies to PCs. Monsters and PCs are built completely differently.
>>
>>51510690
I'd rule that any of them can fight if they have no other option but none of them are any good. The squire is explicitly worse than the knight at the back of the MM, because he hasn't gotten as good as a real knight yet. He doesn't gain experience or levels in PC classes, and if he does improve in ability at all, he'll expect to be knighted and leave your service. If he doesn't get that, he'll abandon you to be knighted by someone more sensible.
>>
>>51510390
>>51510303
Not that guy, but the main problem I have is that you're saying STR somehow improves your accuracy at range.
Maybe use STR just for damage?
>>
>>51510690
Servant and groom would use commoner stats for sure, squire I'd use something like a guard or whatever other super-low CR martials there are
>>
>>51510390
Blacksmiths don't make bows; bowyers make bows.

And yeah, as Anon said, he'd be better off with a thrown weapon anyway.
>>
Party was TPK except the guy that was not there for the session

New campaign or does last guy go investigate his friends fate after recruiting new players?
>>
Guy gets stabbed in the neck

Does combat start before or after the attack lands
>>
>>51510891
Depends.
Did they have any kind of interesting goal or mission?
Does the guy WANT to play the same character?
>>
>>51510906
Combat starts the moment someone wants to attack. Roll initiative, everyone that isn't aware that the guy is going to get stabbed is surprised.
>>
>>51510906
Combat starts after the attack roll is resolved. Attack, does it hit, do damage. Combat starts. It's the surprise round really.
>>
>>51510906
Roll initiatives, perception to see if the guy sees it coming
If he doesn't then combat starts with him being surprised
>>
>>51510906
Who or what does he get stabbed in the neck by?
>>
>>51510951
>It's the surprise round really.
There is no surprise round. Really.
>>
>>51510951
Surprise round doesn't exist this edition - it's practically semantics, but you have a regular round with (one or more) surprised combatants instead.
>>
Do 5th edition Drow have normal looking eyes or monochromatic eyes?
>>
>>51511028
They're not normal because the irises are usually red or sometimes purple, but yeah, they still have normal pupils and scleras.
>>
>>51510906
Combat starts immediately when someone says "I want to attack.", roll initiative.

Then determine if they saw the attack coming to see if the guy being attacked is suprised. Remember, a player saying "Fuck this, I stab him in the neck." when trying to make a deal with a bandit is not suprising, as the bandit would have time to react to the threat once the guy reaches for his weapon. It would be a simple rolling of initative that could easily and reasonably end with the result of the bandit going first, striking him with a shortsword and moving back away before the "Neckstabber" gets his turn, a simple factor of being too slow or obvious reaching for his weapon and the bandit being faster on the quickdraw.
>>
>>51509123
Leave a link in the previous thread next time jackass
>>
To the anon who helped design the druid cave temple with tidal changes, at the end of last thread:

That sounded really good. Would you mind helping me with a puzzle fight I'm trying to craft?

Players are level 8 (champion fighter, diviner wizard, moon druid, deep stalker ranger and devotion paladin) and have a decent number of powerful magic items, going to fight a Mummy Lord and a few mummies in its lair. Difference here is this Mummy Lord is neutral rather than evil, and he used to be an archmage very interested in divination.

Before dying, the archmage foresaw a great catastrophe befalling the world, but also that the group of heroes who could prevent it would come to his tomb, so he wants to test the party's strength and cunning before offering his help. To that end, he won't actively try to kill them, but if they die they weren't going to be those heroes anyway.

I'm having trouble with the puzzle side, though. The center of the lair is a wide pyramid-shaped chamber with a mini labyrinth of walls of stone, and I want it to have something on each corner connected to something at the top of the room that they have to disable or something like that. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51510690
The Squire can fight, using the statlines I imagine for Guard.

He would not however, follow the party anywhere dangerous, such as into a dungeon or bandit camp. He would at most sit and hold the cart while the party delves. He can take watch on perception during the night, but odds are if there is any combat breaking out he would retreat to the sidelines and not take part in actual combat, leaving the skilled adveturers to do the job.

He may take part in narrative combat, such as once the campside ambush is finished, the GM could say "As the fight ends, your loyal squire finishes off one of the goblins trying to harass your horses and sending the other one fleeing into the woods." Ultimately it is up to your GM, but he should never really roll iniatitive.

If he does, or the party insist on taking him into the dungeon he would be welcome and rightful to say "Hold on, you guys just looted hundreds of gold worth of treasure and I risked my life too you know, where is my cut? I want at least 200gp share same as you all got."
>>
>>51511067
Is it possible to a Drow to have gray eyes?
>>
>>51511197
What kind of actual baby needs this much spoonfeeding?
>>
>>51511243
It's just convenient, mang.
>>
>>51510906
Combat starts the moment somebody wants to attack. He only gets the first attack if he
A) Wins the initiative
B) Surprises his opponent
>>
>>51511229
Looks like it by the artwork in the PHB. It's got loads of drow images throughout for some reason (bard, cleric, druid, rogue, and more).
>>
File: zork-fp__big.jpg (33KB, 525x270px) Image search: [Google]
zork-fp__big.jpg
33KB, 525x270px
Are there any existing Zork universe Adventure Books for 5e?
>>
>>51511208
First off, this seems like the perfect chance to both challenge, and reward the Diviner Wizard. He has two Portent Dice? The Mummy has 5 Portent Dice. As soon as the Diviner attempts to use his ability, the Mummy slips in and uses one of his dice instead. The Diviner looks forward in the timeline, forseeing the true path but as he does so, he can see the Mummy watching as intently as he, handwaiving the future to his own design. Then each time have the Diviner be the only one who can catch glimpses of what could be, but the Mummy changes it for the worse, or possibly on one occasion, the better, a good chance to foreshadow that the Mummy isn't entirely out to get the party.

He rewards the Diviner at the end of the dungeon with a gold inlaid mirror, a scrying focus as soon he will be able to cast scrying, and an Amulet of shielding that when attuned, grants the user an extra Portent dice. Even more flavour for later in the campaign you can have the party and wizard attacked by a creature or caster or simply catastophe that inflicts a large amount of force damage, one that the Mummy foresaw.

Let me come up with a few more ideas for a moment.
>>
File: Untitled.png (31KB, 294x43px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31KB, 294x43px
>>51511229
Yeah.
>>
>>51509464
Alright so assuming nothing changes when I transform, what if I have a large greatsword made for me? Is there anything stopping me from lugging a giant sword all day?
>>
Redpill me on the latest two Unearthed Arcanas
>>
Acquisitions Inc. upload when?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>51511229
Is this a reference to that Dead Alewives sketch?
>>
>>51511549
Days ago.
>>
>>51510906
This actually kinda came up in my last game.

The duel-wield assassin ranger wanted to cast Hunters Mark on a dragon while the rest of the party talked to it and he hid around a corner.

The plan was to distract it and he casts the spell then surprise criticals with three Hunter's Mark attacks and Bugbear damage. We got into an argument over weather he could cast the spell out of combat and then duel-wield attack on the surprise round though.
>>
>>51511550
No, I made a Drow Rogue as my first character I'm confused on what her eyes should look like. Thank you for reminding me of that sketch though.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170201-163252.png (516KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170201-163252.png
516KB, 1440x2560px
I'm totally going to do this now. Recurring goblin npc, who eventually obtains class levels.
>a sinister bell tolls
>[goblin name] the undying has invaded your world
>>
>DMing for first time
>Druid player likes to entangle enemies then spray poison in their restrained faces
> Calls himself the Human Holocaust
So far, so good
>>
Kinda want to homebrew shotguns (or shotbows) for my Western setting. I'd like them to hit two targets at once but not be hideously overpowered when focusing on a single target.

I was thinking making the reload on them take a bonus action like the Gunsmith's thunder cannon, but when you're talking about a general-use weapon for every class it really benefits single attack classes and those with no use for bonus actions over dedicated martials who should be the superior (short)-ranged combatants. What do?
>>
>>51511741
Spread is linked to number of attacks.
>>
>>51511347
>He has two Portent Dice? The Mummy has 5 Portent Dice.
Oh man I love this already. I think just to make sure the diviner will still have portents to use, I could add the mirror in the center of the pyramid, and if she uses an action to gaze into it, she regains one use of Portent, immediately rolled. Obviously, after the mirror is removed from its place, it loses that property.

Actually, one of the rewards I had prepared was basically the Mummy would give her a lead to where she could find an item blessed by Mystra, later in the campaign (A legendary white Robe of the Archmagi), inside a mirror.
>>
>>51511713
>Restrained gives you advantage on attack rolls against them and they have disadvantage on Dex
>attacking with a Con save cantrip
i mean, i know it's d12, but Con isn't exactly a weak stat or save for a lot of creatures
>>
>>51511768
So, once you've got Extra Attack, each hit can splash to an additional target? Essentially, only EA martials (and Valor Bards but they're faggots) are skilled enough to blast two guys, twice.
>>
>>51511208
Giant Scorpions, Flying or Poisonus Snakes, Swarms of Poisonus Snakes, Swarms of Insects and Gaint Wolf spiders are great encounter monsters.

A Blue Dragon Wyrmlings, Tlingcalli or Basilisks can make great bruiser monsters that can threaten the party but might still be in the employ of a powerful Mummy Lord mage.

Sandstone Gargoyles, Dust Mephits are always cool. Can't have a maze without a Minotaur being involved some how, I love the thought of one clad in ornate golden bangles and amulets. Skeletal minotaurs also work, might be a good chance to show off the Mummy using his portent to prevent the Minotaur from dying as it is a loyal servant. Or just use skeletal minotau that keeps reassembling after a miniute or so they have to avoid rather than just destroy.

Spells like wall of sand in a tight corridor can be very potent, blinding and drastically slowing the party. Spells like Maelstrom can easily be fluffed as swirling vortex of sand and the Mummy lord can be casting these from above to make mundane encounters troublesome.

Perhaps the maze is covered in a raging sandstorm that you catch glimpses of a crystal above, and occasionally the Mummy lord lounging on a flying carpet. The items in the corner are methods that may allow them to ascend to the top past the sand and they are looking for a way to reach. You can easily bait-and-switch, several ornate rugs carefully stored in the corner alcove with magical hieroglyphsto perhaps tease these as flying carpets when they are rugs of smothering.

An area that the sandstorm above grows thick and blots out the light would be a good chance for the Ranger to shine, using his ability to avoid darkvision to bypass some of the creatures solo to fetch an item. An area that seems to favour snakes can give the druid a moment to shine, being able to shift into one himself and perhaps get somewhere the others can't. Fighter and Paladin really just need something to fight or a puzzle that requires their strength.
>>
>>51511582
upload? i know it streamed a view days ago but has it been uploaded anywhere? it's not on the DnD youtube channel
>>
>>51510423
>Shadow Monk Fighter with a Large-sized Greataxe
>teleport with your bonus action every turn to get advantage on your first attack, cancelling out your disadvantage
>2d12
>turn that into a stunning blow and follow up with your second attack, also without disadvantage now

Alternatively,
>anything with Shield Master wielding a Large-sized one-handed weapon
>nothing says a Large longsword is two-handed
>knock everyone down first with your bash and 2d8s all day
>>
>>51511773
>>51511773
Bonus points: When she looks into the mirror, she can see herself smile, nod knowingly and reach to take the mirror.
>>
Is there any spell component pouch equivalent like in 3.5?

or will i need to actually gather all that shit to use even the most basic of spells and cantrips?

I can't seem to find one.
>>
>>51511954
Yeah, you need that bat guano
>>
>>51511894
>Half Orc Barbarian wielding a Large-Sized Greataxe.
>Reckless every day.
>2d12, critting for 5d12.

>Half-Orc Paladin of Vengeance weilding a normal weapon.
>Vow of Emnity
>Draw your Large-sized Great Axe and then smite-and-cleave for huge hits.

>Be TWFighter with Mounted Combat feat.
>Ride a steed.
>Dual wield Large Lances for 2d12 damage.
>>
Anons? I could really use a hand.

As an aspiring homebrewer, one of the races on my radar recently was the Saurian Shifter. Introduced in Dragon Magazine #328, these were basically watered-down were-dinosaurs. Now, call me immature if you must, but I think that this is actually a pretty awesome idea, especially after reading about the Ka-Tainted (sorcerously created dino-men) of Mystara's Hollow World in Dragon Magazine #315. Now, here's the thing... back in 3.5, Saurian Shifters could pick two "Shifting Aspects" and put them together in order to make their Shifter. In 5e, the vanilla Shifter only gets 1 "Shifter Aspect" at all, treating them as subraces.

Thing is, the Eberron Update races are... well, frankly rather bland and underpowered. The 3.5 Saurian Shifter traits have some ideas, but are mostly retreads of the Shifter. Heck, even the Ka-Tainted at least had some variable abilities depending on whether you used a Pleisiosaur, Tyrannosaur, Raptor or Triceratops in the ritual.

So, I'm really torn between which way to do things. Just straight up adapt the 3.5 version the same way that the Eberron Update did? Or get more creative?

Ultimately, I decided to give both versions a shot and see what people thought was the better version. So... yeah, feedback, please? I desperately need a hand.

Due to sheer size, follow the link below - this'd never be postable here on /tg/.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>51511954
You can start with either a component pouch or focus to take the place of any material components that have no price and aren't consumed. There's no difference between them but flavor.

You need a free hand to use them, which can be the same hand you're using for any somatic components.
>>
>>51511996
>Half-Orc Barbarian Two Weapon Fighter with Mounted Combat
>something hits his horse and he's 100% useless
>>
>>51512012
okay then. So as long as there's no actual cost to it, a focus or components pouch covers it.

Thats all i needed. thank you.
>>
So if a player goes to assassinate a completely oblivious character - and that character rolls higher initiative without being aware of the players presence, he is no longer surprised since he had his turn first and is no longer "surprised"
>>
>>51512040
no, the assassin gets a surprise round signifying the time before initiative.
>>
>>51512053
A surprise round is just a first round with a debuff on characters who failed perception. The surprised status wears off at the end of its first turn.
>>
>>51512040
>>51512053
This guy. The enemy isn't surprised until something happens unless through other means. The character is unaware, the assassin attacks, that is the surprise round then roll initiative.

If not in combat yet and a player's says "I attack X", we resolve the action. Then roll initiatives.
>>
File: 1453911165829.jpg (60KB, 1022x512px) Image search: [Google]
1453911165829.jpg
60KB, 1022x512px
Hey /5eg/, I need ideas for a fighter with the knight background.
>>
>>51512113
He is a knight who serves the king loyally

Next
>>
>>51512023
>Something hits his horse, it hits him instead thanks to mounted combat.
>>
File: theavatar.jpg (8KB, 160x225px) Image search: [Google]
theavatar.jpg
8KB, 160x225px
>>51512113
He was just an average insurance salesman from Kearney, Nebraska, when he entered a vardo at a gypsy carnival and had his fortune read by the old woman there. Later that night, while returning to his home, he came across a glowing light in a field and was inexorably drawn to it. Stepping through, he found himself transported to a mystical land of knights and orcs whereupon some faggot in purple robes threw a sword at him and told him he must essentially become Jesus.
>>
>>51512087
How s it possible that so many of you still get this wrong after all the times it has been covered?
>>
>>51512187
Please give me a straight answer.
>>
File: 1465871341925.jpg (59KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465871341925.jpg
59KB, 919x720px
>Working on custom campaign
>Players ask if they can make characters based on Unearthed Arcana
>Tell them they can
>Tell potential fifth player that I'm working on a campaign that'll allow Unearthed Arcana
>"Can I use my Plague Doctor build?"

Not sure what to tell him. Maybe have him look at the Alchemist Specialization of Artificer. I'm not sure if I want to deal with a complete, custom build.
>>
>>51512191
see
>>51512083
>>
>>51512113
Recently passed over for title of a Knight at the right hand of the king. Sir (Name) leaves in anger at the betrayal. He devoted his entire life to this king, where only the paladin that took "his" place came only a few years ago.

He goes out in search of the background of the man who was selected, a Paladin of the (Blank) order named (Other name), in order to come up with dirt to get the man expunged, or come up with nothing, and accept that his quick to anger demeanor and ability to hold grudges is not something the King's hand needs, allowing character arc.
>>
>>51512113
60 year old with a bum leg (-5 movement, dex save when dashing to keep from falling prone). It persists through magical healing.

His squire is intent on learning the story, but he refuses to say anything about it.
>>
>>51512087
Objectively incorrect.

As soon as you say "I want to attack." Initative begins. You are preparing to attack. Roll initatiive, determine suprised enemies, start the first turn of combat. There is no "Prefight." only a suprise round.
>>
>>51512198
No tell him to use Artifcer
>>
>>51512198
"No one in the party wants to hang out with a smelly weirdo wearing a dead kenku's face."
>>
>>51512023

>>Hit his stead
>>Mounted combat
>>Pick one
>>
>>51512226
it's a fireball
>yeah but he's got evasion
yeah but the horse has like 5 hp
>>
>>51512209
>get quoted to myself

Fuck, so you're telling me that if some asshole is taking a shit and picking his nose, I sneak up behind him and before I get to shank him, he rolls higher initiative, is no longer surprised and I can no longer assasinate him.
>>
>>51512220

>>Want to retort but cant because my Alchemist is a smelly weirdo
>>
File: Mummy Lord lair.png (895KB, 788x596px) Image search: [Google]
Mummy Lord lair.png
895KB, 788x596px
>>51511923
That's some good shit, anon! Thanks.

>>51511854
Great ideas for the spells! I hadn't thought of wall of sand, and maelstrom refluffed sounds good too. Mummy minotaur seems very fun, I'm just worried it might get too cramped in there. I'm looking more for ideas on the puzzle rather than monsters, and I really want to run the Mummy Lord itself through combat, as they have a lot of fun legendary actions. I'm thinking as long as they don't disable the puzzle, he will just keep reforming.

Pic related is how the pyramid-chamber is looking so far. They're going to be dropped right in front of the sarcophagi and will have 1 round to prepare before the Mummy Lord opens the lid, having just cast Fire Shield and Cloudkill.
>>
Since I didn't really get much advise in the earlier thread, figured I'd toss it up again.

Recently got the opportunity to play a Treachery paladin.
Problem being is that I am not sure how to build it.

Only thing that's really set in stone is that it's a half-orc, no PAM and the rolled statline turned out to be 15, 16, 16, 14, 14, 11.

Was looking at something like heavy armor mastery and shield master to become an unstoppable force, but it feels weird to hulk on heavy armor on an archetype that is primarily sneaky/avoiding.

He's also the type that believes that the end justifies the means and he'll stop at nothing to get results.

Any ideas?
Thoughts?
Halp, haven't played Paladin in 5e before.
>>
>>51512213
Oh whoops oh well. At least everyone was going on the right turns at least. Just gotta roll initiative a little earlier.
>>
Noob here with questions. Sorry in advance.

> evil paladins that are not of the oath breaker archetype. Is this a thing?

> Fighter 1 / Warlock 4 with pact of the blade. One hand physical weapon. Off hand pact blade. Would this fall under two weapon fighting? How would you resolve attack and damage?

> Stupid idea for a fighter. Dual shields. Defensive fighting. Taking tavern brawling and shield mastery feats. Is this viable?

> do you: keep track of food? Keep track of xp to the digit? How do you do inspiration in your campaign?
>>
>>51512267
no because he is surprised.
>>
>be DM
>be a fucking prick
>invincible power game totem barbarian wants to go to a brothel
>has 7 wisdom, hogs loot, second guesses me
>as he is walking to it he gets seduced by a man in an alleyway
>"you feel immensely attracted to this smelly looking man with grey hair and missing teeth"
>"my character isn't gay"
>fails wisdom save
>"you are now compelled to follow him into an alleyway"
>"MY CHARACTER IS NOT GAY"
>he begins making out with the old hobo (incubus)
>fails will save
>"you never knew until know how much you have been hiding from your true self, and how much in love with this disgusting elderly urchin"
>fails about 5~ will saves
>"FUCK YOU"
>has about 5 maximum hp
>incubus thanks him for the fun
"As you reel from your delightful time with the wrinkled man, you feel extremely drained, you feel a weird burning like sensation"
>" I KILL HIM ATTACK "
>you love him, you can't
>give him indefinite madness: gay self loathing
>>
>>51512335
with a statline like that, nobody else at the table is gonna have fun. when you''re more dextrous than the monk, more wise and intelligent than the wizard and stronger than the barbarian, nobody gets to use their niche.
>>
>>51512440
1. Yes they are allowed but tenants may restrict how evil you can be depending on oath.

2. Yes it would be two weapon fighting, you would add Ability Score plus proficiency for attacks, and if you had two weapon fighting style they both roll damage and add ability score to damage.

3. It can be done but Sage Advice, a question answer twitter thing to devs say no to gaining the AC bonus twice. Yes it works but it would be +2 AC with a d4 weapon.

4. Rations make it easy, 1 ration is good for a day. Not all campaigns do XP but the ones that do do it to the digit. The player does something good like roleplay and such or do something smart and the DM says "You now have inspiration. You can use it when you want."
>>
>>51512491
When combat starts you roll initiative

After a creature has its first turn during the surprise round, it is no longer surprised
>>
>>51512531
yes, so he doesn;t get a first round (he is surprised) and you shank him. then normal combat starts and people take initiative order.
>>
>>51512440
>evil paladins that are not of the oath breaker archetype. Is this a thing?
Vengeance, Treachery and Conquest comes to mind. Treachery and Conquest is in the paladin UA however.
>
>Fighter 1 / Warlock 4 with pact of the blade. One hand physical weapon. Off hand pact blade. Would this fall under two weapon fighting? How would you resolve attack and damage?
Since he's using two weapons, TWF applies.
>Stupid idea for a fighter. Dual shields. Defensive fighting. Taking tavern brawling and shield mastery feats. Is this viable?
No idea unfortunately, haven't messed about with shields in 5e yet.
>do you: keep track of food? Keep track of xp to the digit? How do you do inspiration in your campaign?
Food if it's relevant, such as going on a long expidition.
XP depends if we're doing milestones or actual XP. If actual XP then my group usually keeps it down to the digit of what our DM tells us.
We also keep forgetting that inspiration is a thing so we're terrible at it.
>>
Just ran Mines of Phandelver for the 4th or 5th time with the same group this weekend. First time we played there was a TPK by the Redbrand, next time they managed to kill the Bugbear but we didn't pick up the campaign again, and this time we first had a TPK from the goblins at the beginning, and we restarted the campaign and everyone got killed by the Bugbear because two of the players got hurt while trying to climb the chimney and one of them was still at the bottom when the fight started. Everyone recommends it but it seems somewhat difficult.
>>
>>51509123
What are good roleplaying encounters I can put into a session? As a DM I am pretty bad at this.
>>
>>51512569
They probably would have been ok if they had attacked the wolf first but I don't know if I'm supposed to convey that. They just tried going for the Bugbear first.
>>
>>51512218

If I go that route I'm kinda worried about what the last two players are planning on picking, because right now we might have Artificer-Alchemist, Artificer-Gunsmith and Wizard.
>>
>>51512554
So if a creature rolls highest, it has its surprise turn before everyone else ending the surprise status.
>>
>>51512527
We've all rolled stats, our resident monk is starting out with a 20 dex.
Also, more intelligent than the wizard? I doubt a wizard would have less than 11 intelligence. Just saying.
>>
>>51512440
Evil Paladins are fucking gay, archetype or not. Don't.

Don't play Bladelock. Further, don't dual-wield. But yes, it's two-weapon fighting. It's resolved the normal way. There's nothing special about a Bladelock's weapon until you get invocations that improve it.

Dual shields give you no benefit. Defensive fighting no longer exists; there's a Dodge action, but it uses your primary action so you can't attack in the same turn. Monks can Dodge as a bonus action though, but it costs ki. Take EITHER Tavern Brawler or Shield Master, not both; you only have one bonus action and an extra d3 damage isn't worth a full ASI if you want to grapple a target and punch him with your shield all day, especially when you could just ask the DM for something like a "spiked shield".

Fuck keeping track of food. If your DM / party wants to do that, you just mandate X amount of gold being subtracted from the party total every time you hit a big town and assume "you got enough for the journey".
Fuck XP tracking and calculations, too. Either use straight milestones or assign very small numbers on a per-encounter basis. Something like each level costs 100 XP and an encounter or quest can be anywhere from 5 to 20XP each.
You hand out inspiration when a PC does something really cool or suffers for the benefit of their background / character (doing something that is clearly not ideal from a metagaming perspective and may be detrimental because it's what their Ideal / Bond says they'd do).
>>
Doing a sword and sorcery type homebrew. I want to limit magic without making it weaker. I was thinking about maybe having a narrative downside to it, something about each thing magic is used to solve leads to misfortune of a karmic nature.

Basically if you revive one person, another dies, if you fireball a zombie, another rises. It wouldn't be like instant karma GM fuckery where 'Your pet dies because you healed the old man. :^)' or 'The next quest is to kill this evil Lich because the last one was killed by the Cleric. :^)', just something to give people a reason to dislike magic, and have it be used sparingly.

Has anyone else actually tackled the oxymoron of low magic 5e?
>>
>>51511243
>>51511292
And it prevents twin threads pissjob
>>
>>51512595
the surprised creature takes its turn first, but they are surprised, so they cannot make any actions, reactions or bonus actions. then your character can take their turn, and as they are not surprised, they CAN make actions, reactions and bonus actions. the opponent has taken their first turn, so they can now react to your character, but they were not able to attack, as they were surprised.

basically, when
>>
I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to choose.

I am building a Royal Assassin kinda trope for an upcoming evil game me and my friends are gonna play in 5e, and I've used the Vampire from the Zendikar thing as my race and was gonna pick Rogue for my class. So I thought that Assassin was the obvious choice for what my concept, but I keep looking at the Arcane Trickster of Rogue, and seeing as how I have just as high Intelligence as I do in Dexterity, I am wondering if perhaps it's not more useful in more situations than Assassin. Sure, the Assassinate and Death Strike seem super useful, but I doubt I'll be using the disguise feats. Cantrips and magic just seems more useful.

Opinions?
>>
File: 1348181098172.jpg (10KB, 164x176px) Image search: [Google]
1348181098172.jpg
10KB, 164x176px
>"surprise round"
>>
>>51512634

Make any magic users have to accept some physical abnormality (A few removed fingers as an example) that is easily noticeable and make magic users be stigmatized in some or all cultures.
>>
>>51512572
Bandits running the roads are on the rise so there is a guard outpost that questions travelers.

An elderly woman is having trouble getting her wheel back onto her carriage after is broke off. Inside the carriage players can see she is a divination user, maybe even a hag.

You are surrounded by teenagers with crude farming weapons as they stupidly ask you for money. Any rolls to see if they pose a true threat to a real adventurer are meet with no.
>>
>>51509123
>we come up with classes, archetypes and feats that should be in the next splatbook
Wilder Archetype for Sorcerer. I have one at the moment, just putting last touches on it. But would still like to see a (good) official one.
>>
>>51512634
Magic can tend to have random but disastrous results. Roll a d100 when someone casts a spell. On a 1 they roll on the wild magic table.
>>
>>51512681
So a character that is unaware can feel killing intent? For no reason other than it rolled higher iniative and failed its perception?
>>
>>51512717
>he plays persona

what are you stupid?
>>
>>51509474
It depends, since I run several settings. Usually, no one likes them very much. Most of the Patrons are things that no Lawful or Good character should associate with, and Warlocks bargain with them for power.

Wizards and Sorcerers think they're cheating. Clerics and Druids think they're heretics and agents of Evil. Psions sit in the corner and cry about how much no one loves them anymore, while the Truenamer tries to convince the Binder that Warlocks didn't "Jack (your) shit" in so much as they are an homage..
>>
>>51512738
cheers
>>
>>51512791
i have no idea what you/re talikng about anymore.
>>
>>51512572
Every single enemy encounter can be this if you run 'monsters are, while evil, actually fucking intelligent sometimes'

You want to intimidate the monsters to make them realize fighting on is pointless and will just get them killed, thus saving the party from taking more damage from them? That's partially roleplaying, with a bit of rollplay.
You want to trade a hostage goblin back to the goblins in exchange for safe passage? It might work, since you've shown you're both powerful enough to take them hostage and respectful enough they might trust you if you don't conflict with what they want (such as food).
This monster refuses you passage? Well, you COULD fight them and possibly get roughed up for little reward, but maybe you can the monster can work out a deal or you can convince them that they'll only get themselves killed against your party.

Dungeon crawling is the best.
>>
What classes and archetypes are the BEST for 3-level dips? Include UA content and the like.
>>
>>51512913
He's mad he can't get the auto-crit from assassinate if an enemy rolls higher initiative.
>mook goes at 8
>spends its turn being surprised
>is no longer surprised
>assassin goes at 3 because he's a tard
>can't get guaranteed critical because target isn't surprised anymore

He needs to git gud and stop having shit initiative rolls.
>>
>>51512965
1 level arcane cleric, rest into Twilight Druid.
Become a god.
>>
>>51512965
Assassin and Warlock are the kings of a 3 level dip. Cleric depending on what the main class is.
>>
>>51512913
1. Character is stealth and unnoticed

2. Go to stab in the back, assasinate

3. Victim rolled higher initiative

4. Surprise wears off after it takes its turn, can now react and is not surprised

5. Cannot assasinate or surprise attack victim based on a higher dex roll
>>
>>51512572

>Party arrives at a new town
>Goes to the Tavern
>Starts doing their normal probing questions searching for info and quest hooks
>Not much is offered
>Party leaves Tavern, immediately confronted by a few guys that are seemingly angry they're poking around in THEIR town

If party investigates it leads to an entire underground crime ring. Could link it to the BBEG.
>>
>>51512975
>assassin
>rolling an initiative of 3

What the fuck are they doing, dumping dex?

Alert is a brilliant feat for them and, not only that, but you can potentially abuse Alert alongside things such as darkness.

If an ally casts darkness over enemies and you have alert, enemies will have disadvantage to hit you, providing you aren't also in the area of darkness.
>>
>>51512335
Anyone at all?
>>
>>51512975
No to go at 3 the assassin would have a +2 modifier minimum and roll double 1's. That's like a 0.025 chance.
>>
>>51512791
>>51513004
>Character is unnoticed
>Goes to stab in the back, assassinate
victim rolled higher initiative
>Surprise wears off, can react and is not surprised
>Assassin still makes the first attack, however the victim is able to move in such a way that it avoids crits and can potentially cast a spell usch as 'shield'.
>Enemy gets a turn second, but has to scramble to find their weapons and/or is left at an environmental disadvantage, perhaps even doesn't have armour they might otherwise have on.

Yeah, it's slightly bullshit, but the assassin still gets a turn when they wouldn't otherwise, and supposedly the assassin still has advantage on all attacks.

>>51512335
>rolling for stats ever
Unlike what other person said, your stats aren't blatantly terrifying compared to that guy who rolled 18/18/16/16/15/13 or something like that but if you're playing a paladin with rolled stats, why are you not taking PAM when you're clearly accidentally metagaming?
>>
>>51512975
>shoot at a guy 120 ft away
>god whispers in his ear to fight
>roll 18
>unaware fucktard rolls 19
>he farts, dodges my arrow
>>
>>51512572
Tavern night is going well. Good ale, good fun, good wenches. When suddenly, a fucking griffon smashes through the ceiling and crashes into the bar.

Just before anyone can get ready to kill the thing, they notice it has really fancy armor on. And there's some sort of knight sitting astride it. It's a fighter. A high level fighter. A high level fighter with good gear.

And he's high as a fucking kite. Absolutely tripping balls, thinks he's stumbled upon a kobold lair. Starts attacking, but is basically so physically wasted and out of it you practically have to stand still and let him hit you, and even then.

Tavern owner recognizes him as a regular, hires party to see him safely home.
>>
>>51513023
>>51513077
>because he's a tard
Gave a stupidly low number to point out how rare the scenario is. Rogues are obviously going to have high dex, which will up them in initiative and reduce the likelihood of an enemy's surprise wearing off before the assassin can attack.

It's an idiotic complaint. The enemy being surprised is ALREADY giving the PC the ability to attack first--because the enemy wastes their first turn doing nothing.
>>
>>51511894
It's +7 damage for disadvantage if using a greatsword. For S&Bers it's +4.5, though without GWM/SS it's probably not as crippling. I can't imagine a GWM barbarian doing it much, they already do average 17 damage with not a lot +to hit but have advantage, taking away the advantage just for less than 50% more damage isn't great.
>>
>>51513105
>High level fighter
>Thinking he can take on a kobold lair solo

He's really fucking high, alright.
>>
>>51512711
Anyone?
>>
>>51513089
Unaware creatures shouldn't roll initiative, at all. If a character is less than 3 feet away and is posed to stab it in the back, and fails to notice the attacker, your dexterity doesn't say it's time to fight.
>>
>>51513117
I'd think of intiative being a 'contested check', which makes results incredibly, incredibly swingey.

My -1 intiative character still beats our +10 initiative rogue on intiative every now and then. Sometimes it's a close tie, but the difference between a +5 initiative rogue and a +1 initiative monster is almost nothing statistically.

>>51513137
Then you're doing away with what the rules have clearly stated.

Still, I suppose assassin could use a bit of love and have autocrits on a target that was surprised and it's still the first round. In fact, maybe assassin needs an overhaul overall - that second ability they get is hardly feeling all that great.
>>
File: yes we can.png (358KB, 353x419px) Image search: [Google]
yes we can.png
358KB, 353x419px
Not related to /5eg/, but I just have to share that.

> tfw filtered "magical realm"
>>
>>51513131
Lel. Insert something stupider then.
>>
I'm about to start running Curse of Strahd. How many sessions does the Death House usually take?
>>
>>51513498
Took two for me, but I was playing over the internet. So, should take one.
>>
>>51513089
> why are you not taking PAM when you're clearly accidentally metagaming?
Because I honestly extremely dislike PAM being pseudo-TWF but just better.
And how am I accidentally metagaming for rolling stats?
Trying to kit out this character is pretty open-ended since it's basically a mercenary type and my background isn't exactly "person violently favours this and only this type of weapon" etc.
>>
>>51513190
>the difference between a +5 initiative rogue and a +1 initiative monster is almost nothing statistically.
That wins 65% of the time, and with Alert the assassin's at +10 instead of +5, which is winning 81% of the time against that enemy.

Them being surprised is already letting the assassin take the first action regardless of initiative rolls. "But I'm not guaranteed a crit 100% of the time too!" is just whining.
>>
>>51513498
In person at a physical table it should only take a competent DM and party a single session to run through.

With less competent players (and/or when online) it'll take about 2 sessions.
>>
>>51513552
Even so, 2/3 of the time is a fairly unimpressive number for having 20 dexterity over 12 dexterity, for an opportunity you rarely get in the first place.

It's already the case I often find people rarely get surprise, but I suppose it's just the conditions are awkward to get in, especially if the party isn't up for helping you with your shenanigans.

Kinda feels like assassin would be better if it didn't rely on a somewhat-party-reliant mechanic (surprise) on top of initiative. Likely something about having a crit on the first attack after revealing themselves for the first time in a combat, but, eh...
>>
>>51513523
You can always switch between polearms (halberds,pikes etc) and quarterstaves.

That said, you're taking the most MAD (not most AD however) class in the game with generally good stats, on top of that class being one of the best. Whether you know it or not, you're already destining yourself to shit all over the other fuckers and the fighter, especially if the fighter rolled bad stats - Imagine that you essentailly steal some of fighter's class features (Extra ASIs) by rolling good stats.
Mostly just angry at >rolling for stats
DMs.
>>
>>51512313
Oh, I thought this was a mini-dungeon boss fight, not an encounter, sure let me think!
>>
Level 3 v. Human bladesinger

What feat would yall take? I was thinking that I'd just take Tough as I only have 14 con with a d6 hit die
>>
>>51514008
If you're a Bladesinger, you're not a frontline melee combatant, you're still a wizard. You should take War Caster for the benefit to Concentration rolls and so you can cast spells in place of opportunity attacks.
>>
>>51514008
First be sure your dm is letting you pay a non-elf bladesinger. Then take War Caster probably.
>>
File: 6POot4n.jpg (193KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
6POot4n.jpg
193KB, 600x800px
Is there anything like a Greatbow in DnD? I'm talking like the huge things in Dark Souls.

I want a Ranger that's less Legolas and more a monster hunter with a harpoon bow.
>>
>>51514115
no
>>
FR question, but I can't find a straight answer on google.
Is Torm canonically a decent guy? I'm making a Paladin dedicated to him, and I was hoping he isn't too much of a hardass.
So long as I give my all to protect others, I'll be grand in his books, right?
>>
>>51514008
Warcaster isn't too useful since you already have advantage on concentration checks, even if it's nice to have reaction attacks.. You'll be in melee, so you don't need it.
Resilient (con) would be much better if you really want concentration checks, but in fact mobile might be much more useful if you want to kite hard with 50ft movement and disengage on attack attempt. Alternatively, a +1 int feat like keen mind or something like alert or whatever suits you.
>>
>>51512711
Assassin is the right choice. You wanted to be an assassin even before you knew it was a subclass. AT isn't so much more powerful that you should take it even when the flavor doesn't fit.
>>
>>51514137
>I'll be grand in his books, right?
i dont know the answer to your question directly, but in 5e, as a paladin if your god doesn't like what you are doing then they can go suck a nut because you don't get your powers from them anyways.
>>
Do paladins have to be good aligned in 5e?
>>
>>51514141
>You'll be in melee so you dont need it
Booming Blade says otherwise.
>>
>>51514172
No. You'd know this if you read the goddamn books.
>>
What's a good level for a one-shot with peeps who are unfamiliar with 5e but not with D&D?
>>
>>51514141
>>51514008
>you'll be in melee, so you don't need it
I typo'd. I meant, you'd only need the reaction attacks if you don't use your reaction (you can use your reaction on the 'shield' spell already). You don't need reaction spells if you aren't in melee and enemies aren't running from you (instead trying to aim for you) and thus, as a wizard, using the bladesinger (which is a horribly badly designed 'YOU GET AC!' thing) you're still mostly a 'stay away from the enemies' character.

>>51514174
You're the wizard, even if your AC is like that it's better to just sit back and relax at range and fuck things up.
>>
>>51514188
Say hi to the non-existent number of friends you have.
>>
>>51514169
My DM is running with the non-oathbreakers are empowered by gods thing.
Honestly I'm with him in that I think it fits paladins better to be god-squaddies
>>
>>51514172
Nope. they changed it.

>>51514188
You don't need to be an ass to him.

>>51514209
You don't need to be a child.
>>
>>51513788
I'm vehemently against quarterstaff+shield combo because it's retarded.
Also, we've been playing together for 14 years. None of use really give a shit if someone starts with a 20 or with a 10, we're just out to have fun.
>>
>>51514209
>didn't read the books
>ask stupid questions
>projecting this hard
wew lad.
>>
>>51514172
Did you read the book?
>>
>>51514235
Only you can stop acting like an autist with no friends.
>>
>>51514137
He's basically all right. He's one of those gods who can't catch a break. Probably his most morally questionable act was during the Time of Troubles when his avatar asked for thousands of willing sacrifices of his own worshippers so he could beat Bane and resolve the crisis. He hangs out with Tyr and Ilmater, two other long-suffering gods who can't catch a break.
>>
>>51512335
Your CHA is only 11. You'll need to spend your ASI's on upping CHA, not shitty feats

With half orc you have
STR 17
DEX 16
CON 17
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 11

I might be tempted to up STR and CON to 18 with the first ASI, but you gotta pump CHA from then on. Are you sure you don't want to be a Barb or a fighter?
>>
>>51514262
Tyr was an ass who killed Helm. He has no excuse.
>>
>>51514189
Some people like to start at level 3 because every class gets its subclass by that point. I much prefer level 1 because it makes for a hell of a challenge, and it doesn't get boring because you level up after one session anyway.
>>
>>51510769
Strength does improve the accuracy of thrown weapons, for some reason. I can only imagine it's to give people with shitty dex a way to hit targets at a distance.
>>
>>51514291
Not if it's a one-shot, dude.
>>
>>51514254
Are you the Smokey the Bear of autism?
>>
>>51514326
You Rang?
>>
>>51514326
Or you can stop acting like a complete autistic cunt.

Whatever drivel you spouted just then is incomprehensible.
>>
>>51514264
I'm pretty sure the stats are not in order.

>>51512602
>>
>>51514350
You realize you're responding to at least two different anons in this thread, right?
>>
>>51514385
Oh well then he can have
STR 18
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 11
WIS 14
CHA 16

Just improve stats like normal and you can have a kickass paladin
>>
>>51514411
That still applies and to the cunt who was being a cunt >>51514188
>>
>>51514449
Oh I get it, you're mad that you were told to read the books because you can't read!
>>
>>51514449
He has a point though, you would have known that paladins don't have alignment restrictions if you had just read the books.

Also, the fact that you take "read the goddamn books" as some sort of moral affront speaks more to your character than him having said it does to his.
>>
>>51514462
And you're mad because you have no friends and this is the closest to human interaction you have. Go outside for once in your turbotard life.
>>
>>51514505
Hey. Hey buddy. Gimme a (You)
>>
>>51514495
^>t. cockgobbler.

Though your own autistic retarded self and that retard can form your first friendships. Wouldn't it be wonderful?
>>
>>51514505
Pot, this is kettle. You're black.
>>
>>51514537
Gimme another cutie.
>>
>>51514538
>>51514527
>>51514495
Babby's first friendships. Such a sight to see. Your neckbeards need trimming, but your fucking grotesque faces can't be helped.
>>
>>51514568
Keep going.
>>
I see we're retreading the "you are shit" conversation from a few weeks ago.
>>
>>51514556
>>51514585
That's what your mom said.
>>
>>51514638
More.
>>
>>51513132
Assassin is better for when you're multiclassing 3 into rogue while primarily being something else. If you're going strait rogue you'll probably get more use out of thief or trickster
>>
>>51514638
Kid you know this website is for adults only, right?
>>
>>51514264
Stats aren't in order, just a statline to be freely distributed. Hence why I was more focused on what feats/how to build it rather than stat allocation.
>>
For a monk level 3 feature, would mage hand legerdemain but you can unarmed strike with it be good?
>>
>>51514761
Mechanically sounds like its not much different from the Sun Soul's ability.
>>
>>51514796
Mage Hand Legerdemain is already a very strong feature, and it would deal bludgeoning damage, not radiant. Also, besides that if it were an unarmed strike, it would be more versatile than sun bolt.
>>
>>51514650
>>51514659
The Discord autists have escaped from their containment institution.
>>
>>51514828
Keep it up!
>>
File: 1373006359063.png (348KB, 850x755px) Image search: [Google]
1373006359063.png
348KB, 850x755px
Have you had any luck turning enemies into allies? I'm starting a game where, considering what I know about the players, I'm pretty sure it will be pacifism-heavy and involve a lot of stabilizing baddies at 0hp.

This got me thinking a way to make use of it could be to have villains go non-violent once they realize they aren't going to get their way. They might ultimately drop any grudges and wind up helping deal with the next bad guy. Can that work? Would it break the flow to have an actual BBEG?

Pic related: series where you inevitably sit down and have tea with the final boss after your confrontation is over.
>>
File: 1255725059376.jpg (31KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1255725059376.jpg
31KB, 600x400px
Looking for something fun and flavorful to multiclass my dragonborn OotA paladin into. We're five sessions into Curse of Strahd.

Sunsoul Monk? Undying Light Warlock?
>>
>>51514824
Then you have your answer somewhat, if its that clearly much better than an existing monk subclasse's level 3 ability then it probably is too good.
>>
>>51514848
I'd be willing to try a game like that, but I've never had a game where there wasn't one guy who wanted to play a barbarian that actually ate faces, burned random farm houses, and would constantly ask the dm if self-mutilation would give him a permanent intimidate bonus.
>>
>>51514886
Monk is weird to multiclass into and idk how well it would work with pally. Warlocks on the otherhand are one of if not the best classes to mc into as pally as you get useful invocations, whatever neat starting patron feature you choose, and short rest spell slots that can be used as smites.
>>
>>51513848
Thanks for taking the time to do so. And yes, it's pretty much the boss encounter of this dungeon.
>>
File: Untitled.png (53KB, 291x96px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
53KB, 291x96px
>>51514924
>and would constantly ask the dm if self-mutilation would give him a permanent intimidate bonus.
It actually could, by the DMG.
>>
>>51515023
Could, but not would or should.
>>
>>51514886
Undying Light Warlock.

Paladins are already broken as is, the bonus shit for radiant damage lets you take it further, plus the fact that worladins are amazing.
>>
File: Ow_the_edge.jpg (63KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
Ow_the_edge.jpg
63KB, 400x366px
>>51515023
One guy in particular wanted multiple self inflicted wounds' bonuses to stack numerically though. Which is blatant powergaming and not to mention pick related.
>>
How do you actually play necromancer on the table? I'm afraid of taking up people time.

Also how complex can your order be? Can you tell the skeletons to surround a guy and beat him up?
>>
>>51515075
Necromancer breaks the game. Don't play it, you'll just piss other players off. If you have an oathbreaker in the party, that's a different story...
>>
>>51515096
Hmm what if I have 4 skeletons, and give them a general order to protect and obey (they do understand all language) whoever is infront of them at the start of the day.

Then let each player control one skeleton?
>>
>>51515023
I can now imagine the barbarian cutting open his own face to get Advantage on one check against some farmer.

If you cut open your own head and screamed at someone you could use Strength (Intimidation) right?
>>
>>51515152
I would allow this as a GM. Seems like a decent way of making sure it doesn't become too tedious for everyone.
>>
>>51515075
The trick is don't have an army of undead unless you're attacking a dragons lair or something. Keep some skeletons in a bag of holding and just act like a normal caster until you need them.

For example if you're going into a dungeon soon make a few and send them ahead of you for traps and weak enemies to handle.
>>
>>51515179
I'd still say it's Charisma (Intimidation), but I'd totally give him advantage on the check.
>>
>>51515210
I might actually try pulling this out. If people think it's retarded I'll say it was a joke but getting Advantage on all Intimidation checks is pretty good.
>>
Any news about the new book?
>>
>>51512634

I think the best way is to ban any caster except Warllock and make the patrons more active in a PCs life than most games. The only dedicated casters have to sell their soul and only dabbling with the secrets man is not meant to know is possible
>>
>>51512006
The Eberron-style is too weak.
The Specific-style has some funky wording, but nice ideas. It's honestly too much stuff for me to review them all right now. Post them one by one or in pairs and well take a look and help you refine it.
Godspeed, anon.
>>
File: bythegods.jpg (46KB, 627x480px) Image search: [Google]
bythegods.jpg
46KB, 627x480px
Do any of you have experience in dealing with players that don't focus well? I'm DMing in a group of 5 at the moment, the other four are loving the wide array of things to do, and I'm trying to provide fun for everyone.

The 5th however is always on his cell phone (not just browsing, like full blown playing games and entranced) or his 3ds. I asked him politely if he could put it away last game and he said, "There's nothing for me to do!"

Now at that point I would consider he may be bored of the game or my campaign, but he does this with any of us dming and asks if we want to play every week.

He's kind of the type that needs something to fight and kill to play, and I've been trying to subtly encourage him that there are many other things a character could develop into. Everyone else in the group has ambitions/desires/skills they want to improve, npcs they want to help/save/kill. They are spending time putting pieces together, gathering evidence, interacting with each other.

...and he just plays games and waits for combat.

TLDR:

I'm going to throw some more combat in for him, but does anyone know how I (or any of us dming actually) could get him to pay more attention and expand some?
>>
>>51512634
Honestly make magic rare and heavily monitored. Not illegal but they have to be tattooed or permits or whatever and there's an entire special forces dedicated to anti-magic for spellcasters who fuck around.

For the love of god don't make the order of anti-casters the main religion, it's so over done.
>>
>>51515227
In case the player kept doing it all the time, I'd make it so they had permanent disadvantage on Persuasion checks (as per the Scar thing) and would start to suffer damage. And obviously, it wouldn't work on everyone.
>>
>>51515270
I might just ask next time I get hit hard if I can willingly take the injury. Disadvantage on persuasion checks isn't that bad for a Barbarian. Adds a little something interesting anyway.

I'll just never get it fixed.
>>
>>51515269
>For the love of god don't make the order of anti-casters the main religion, it's so over done.
This is medieval. Everything is connected to the main religion.
>>
>>51515253
Honestly I think in that situation I would just ask if he even really wants to be there. If they can't get invested in roleplaying then why play a rpg.
>>
>>51515302
I hate to say it but...

Depends on setting.
>>
Anons? Quick query; if I wanted to homebrew adaptations of the Changeling (neotenous hag) from Pathfinder to 5e, which would be better?

Converting the various Changeling strains from PF?

Or making new strains based on the hags that actually exist in 5e?

>>51515249
Would love to, but my connection is so shit-tier that I am lucky to get a post off every hour.
>>
>>51514998
Personally I think first off you need a bigger area to handle, I love the squeezing-spaces though. I imagine bottom left and right need riddles of such to open.

How is this for one.

"Otherthinking things is such a shame.
The simple awnser wins the game.
Give the awnser none can refute.
The first response of the brute."

The awnser is to punch, stab, or strike the wall or generally attack it in any way physical, causing the wall segment to open into a secret door.

And another.
"No path around and No path over
That is all there is to say.
No secret word nor secret door.
And forever it shall stay."

The awnser is to dig under, about two feet deep in the sand reveals a small gap large enough to squeeze through.

So I imagine you wanted the Mummy to be a harassment, I thoroughly suggest spells like Tidal Wave, Maelstrom refluffed as sand, wall of sand effects to just harass. Replace one of the mummies in the tight corridoors with a swarm of insects, it just seems delightful to be stuck in such a tight area with them.

I'd personally make the area bigger to include more variety. I'd hate to waste the chance for a skeletal minotaur chasing them down while the Mummy just lounges around watching it happen, you want enough emphasis that fighting the Mummy head on isnt smart, else they might just keep smashing their head into his fire shield and die. Another idea would be cool a Blue Wyrmling burrowing out from underneath them and shortcutting the maze.
>>
>>51515249
Alright, based on this anon, here's my more interesting take on Saurian Shifters, ready for critique for being super-overpowered.

Saurian Shifter Core
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Shifting: On your turn, you can spend a bonus action to Shift, entering an altered state that lasts for 1 minute or until you spend another bonus action to end it. Whilst shifting, you gain temporary hit points equal to your level + your Constitution bonus (minimum of 1) and a Shifting Feature racial trait determined by your subrace. After you have used this trait, you must complete a short rest or long rest before using it again.
Subrace: Choose between the Deathjaw, Boneskin, Thunderfoot, Seasnatcher, Skyskimmer, Clawkiller, Hornbrute or Riptail subraces. The subrace you choose alters your ability score and determines your Shifting Feature.
Deathjaw Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +2 Strength
Fang-filled Maw: When making an unarmed strike, you can choose to do a bite attack instead. This changes your damge to 1 + Strength modifier Piercing damage and allows you to automatically grapple a target of your size or smaller on a successful hit.
Rip and Tear: Whilst grappling a target, you can automatically deliver a bite attack.
Nose of the Hunter: You receive Proficiency in Wisdom (Survival). When making Survival checks to track others, you have Advantage on the check and can also track others through scent alone.
Shifting Feature: While Shifted, your Bite attack increases in damage to 1d6 + Strength modifier and counts as Magical for purposes of penetrating damage resistance.
>>
>>51515357
>>51514998
Ideas for elsewhere in the dungeon I guess.

I'd have two riddles for two corners, one be a skill challenge, an ancient coffer sealed with cryptic magic and enchanted ropes.

Needs a DC13 Arcana, Religion, Thieves Tools check, and Athletics check to open, in that order. They spend thier action and at the start of their next turn roll to see if they unlock their part if the roll was successful, if attacked while they are working concentration saves seem ideal to include for the very rare time you can afflict non-casters with them. For the challenge they must first recognise and decipher the hieroglyphs with Arcana which tells them the next step, proficiently recite the ancient prayer with Religion to release the enchanted ropes, Thieves tools to unlock the physical lock which is revealed, and finally Athletics to lift the supernaturally heavy lid off and open it, revealing whatever maguffin-piece they need from that corner.

The fourth corner can just be a tough fight, possibly in squeezing conditions for extra amusement. Don't forget to include plenty of traps around the place.
>>
>>51512634
I'll just be Psionic then, thanks.
>>
>>51515049
Reminder that the bonus from Undying Light is to spells. That doesn't include Smites, which uses spell slots but aren't spells.
>>
>>51515541
Sword and Sorcery, not Sword and Sionics, mkay? Praise Bahamut.
>>
>>51515425
Goddamnit... hope the Deathjaw in the last post is legible.

Boneskin Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +2 Constitution
Impenetrable Hide: When unarmored, your natural AC is 13 + Constitution modifier. When wearing armor that would give you a lower AC, you can choose to use your natural AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal whilst using your natural armor.
Thick Skull: You have Advantage on Constitution saves against the Stunned effect.
Cudgeling Tail: Your powerful tail allows you to deliver an Unarmed Strike that deals 1d6 + Strength modifier Bludgeoning damage as a Bonus Action.
Shifting Feature: While Shifted, you have Resistance to non-magical Piercing, Slashing and Bludgeoning damage.
>>
>>51515425
How about Cold-Blooded Metabolism:
>When in warm climates, you require twice as much food to sustain yourself, but your speed is increased by 10 feet
>When in cold climates, you require half as much food to sustain yourself, but your speed is decreased by 10 feet.
>>
>>51515613
Any particular reason for this feature? It definitely looks flavorful, and not too crippling/overpowered, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Hell, dinosaurs were probably closer to warm-blooded than cold-blooded.
>>
Playing a Tomelock, with Spell Sniper I have 8 cantrips total. I took EB, Friends, Mage Hand, Mending, Minor Illusion, Shadow Whip, Shocking Grasp, and Vicious Mockery. Does this look like a solid list of cantrips? Anything I'm missing?

>What's Shadow Whip?
It's a spell from a 3rd-party Rogue archetype that my DM's brought in. It's Thorn Whip, but better. It deals cold damage and the creature gains the grappled condition for 1 round.
>>
>>51515425
How does the "Rip and Tear" works? What's automatically? Is it once a turn for no action, or you take the Attack Action and automatically hit?
Also, Nose of the Hunter could be substituted for the trait Keen Smell that is found in many monsters
Keen Smell: You advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
>>
Shamelessly stolen from the other thread, this is fantastic:

One of my favourite ways of justifying divine neglect is straight out of the bible- Angels love free will.

That humans have the ability to choose between sin and virtue makes the sin all the worse, but the virtue all the better. Every time an Angel steps in to force change or right a wrong, they're robbing humanity of the most precious and beautiful gift the Divine ever gave them, Freedom.

In an old setting of mine, where the world was beset by Demonic armies, this was the main reason the Angels were loathe to get involved. Many humans were willing to host Angels, but doing so destroyed their free will, bit by bit.

The first order were the Eyes, who lent Angels their sense, gaining supernatural sensory perception but losing privacy, knowing that everything they ever did or observed was being monitored and judged.

Next came the Mouth, those who gave their lips and tongues to an Angel, able to channel divine pronouncements and speak with divine authority, but losing the ability to speak against God or to lie.

After them were the Hands, those who gave their whole body to an Angel. They were truly superhuman, stronger and faster, much harder to kill... But they surrendered control of their own body. At will, an Angel could take them over and do whatever it would with them.

Lastly, greatest and most terrible, were the Wings. True incarnations of Angels, with wing and flaming sword, avatars of the divine... At the cost of snuffing out the mortal soul of the host, denying them Heaven or any afterlife as they became part of the Angel.

At times it was necessary, because the war with the Demons was going that bad, but no Angel wished to do so, and all of Heaven wept at the sacrifices necessary to keep fighting.
>>
>>51515701
Rip & Tear: Which would be more balanced? I was initially thinking you could use your Attack action and guarantee a hit with your bite attack.

Huh, I hadn't recalled that monster trait... isn't it a little weaker than Nose of the Hunter, though? I might just replace it, though...
>>
>>51514622
It's like an autism mating display in here. Instead of peacocks parading their feathers it's like two downies with plumage of Yugio cards.
And they keep fanning the flames
>>
>>51515602
This one ends up giving +3 to a stat, which isn't done anywhere else. Maybe you could make the subrace +1 STR +1 CON, like the boneskin makes them more powerful or something.
+CON to AC is nice
Thick Skull is fine
Cudgeling Tail: They have the tail without shifting? Most importantly, adding the STR modifier to a Bonus Action attack is kind of a big deal, people pay a fighting style for this. If it was just 1d6 I think it would be ok.

Shifting Feature: Now this is just too strong. Maybe you could double the Temporary HP they get from shifting? Seems more in line with other stuff to me.
>>
File: hand crossbow attempt 1.png (237KB, 1101x641px) Image search: [Google]
hand crossbow attempt 1.png
237KB, 1101x641px
>>51508716
>>51510007
Bam, didn't even take that long. I avoided googling to see if someone else made one before, so as far as I'm aware this is an original design.

Here we have a hand crossbow that can hold 8 bolts before needing a fresh mag that can be operated with one hand.

There's still one flaw I overlooked and just now noticed before posting, so I'll just fix it later- the metal bit used to pull the bowstring bit back in place would get in the way of the handle with this design. It should be a simple matter of making the "puller" something besides a straight line.

It's worth noting that unlike on modern weapons, you fire by pushing the trigger in front forward, and pull the "normal" trigger to unlock and allow cocking of the crossbow.

Opted for a spring-mag instead of gravity fed like a Chu Ko Nu or however it's spelled since adventurers often find themselves doing flips and shit.
Mag release is a simple button on the opposite side, not pictured.

This design also has room for a counterweight to be attached to the end to make the swing-load easier, however I didn't put it in this picture because it looked a bit silly.

>>51510105
It's funny you mentioned that because swinging your arms to use momentum to cock them ended up being the best way I could think to make a one-handed crossbow that wouldn't need gorilla hands to cock, since all the other designs I thought up required either a shitload of hand strength or a crank to operate.
>>
>>51515788
Yeah, I wasn't really sure what to give the Boneskins for a stat mod. I guess I can't escape that the Saurians are likely to have some stats shared.

Yeah, the three subraces with tail attacks (Boneskin, Thunderfoot, Riptail) can all use them without shifting - natural attacks are ribbon-enough at the best of times, no need to hide it behind shifting, I figured.

Maybe downgrade the damage to d4+Str bonus?

Higher hitpoint boost from the shifting might be better. I was just faced with the choice of either damage resist or +1 AC, so I went with damage resist.

And here's the next on the list:
Thunderfoot Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution, +1 Strength
Powerful Build: You count as one size larger for determining your carrying, dragging, pushing and pulling capacity.
Tail Whip: As a bonus action, you can make a Tail Slap. This is an Unarmed Strike with the Reach (10 feet) trait and which delivers 1d3 + Strength modifier Bludgeoning Damage.
Shifting Feature: While Shifted, you gain +5 feet of Reach with all attacks and double your damage with Unarmed Strikes, but also counts as one size larger for determining space.
>>
>>51515253
5 people is too many.

It's always been too many.

4 really good players = great
3 not as good players = still good
>>
>>51515840
mfw I'm going to be in a game with 8 players and one of them is a That Guy who only does like one session then drops out.
On top of having a somewhat inexperienced DM.

Help me. Is there any feasible way to salvage this?
>>
File: Capture.png (260KB, 742x724px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
260KB, 742x724px
>>51515815
updated puller.

The S shape means more metal and more weight, but it's still the best option I can think of to pull the bowstring bit back into place.
>>
>>51515756
Guaranteed hit would create a loop with grappling, no? What about a Bonus Action bite attack against the grappled creature, adding the STR modifier? You would already have advantage since you're grappling it.
Keen Senses is stronger imo, because Perception is the god skill of 5e. Being able to smell threats from far away is good stuff.
>>
>>51515662
It was all that came to mind when I thought about reptiles, but yeah, dinosaurs were a mix.
>>
>>51515253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQsJSqn71Fw
>>
>>51515827
Yeah, d4+Str seems better to me

Really liked the Thunderfoot. I'd say this one is ready to go.
The d3 might trigger some friendly autists around here though, since it's hardly used anywhere.
>>
>>51515892
Okay, yeah, I can see that. Biting a grappled victim for a bonus action is a much easier trait, definitely change that over.

And good point. I'll trade Nose of the Hunter for Keen Senses.

>>51515959
Will change up the Bonetail's damage and durability, then.

Thunderfoot looks good? Cool!

Alright, this one... I had no real ideas for, so it's probably weak as water.

Seasnatcher Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Swimmer: You have a Swim speed of 30 feet.
Hold Breath: You can hold its breath for 15 minutes.
Shifting Feature: While Shifted, you increase your Swim speed to 60 feet and gain the Amphibious trait.
>>
>>51515357
>>51515526
All around good ideas. I think I might buff a Swarm of Insects to make some bloodthirsty scarab beetles. Con save or they get under your skin? Sounds horrifying.
>>
File: 1329192500722.png (158KB, 433x337px) Image search: [Google]
1329192500722.png
158KB, 433x337px
>>51515840
How about 1-on-1?
>>
>>51515827
Just one thing, don't let people play tunnel fighter sentinel PAM fighters with this one.

>>51515974
Yeah, Swim speed and amphibious is just too situational. What dinosaur is the inspiration for this one? We might get an idea reading a bit about it.
>>
>>51515947
Matt Colville does alright rpg videos but the games he runs aren't very good.
>>
>>51516062
Never watched any of his games, I just like a lot of his advice
>>
What'a good dip of warlock levels of a paladin? 2,3, or more?
>>
>>51516058
The direct inspiration was the Plesiosaur (which is actually in the MM, in fact). Maybe not my best idea, but it's the most iconic "aquatic dinosaur" over the pliosaurs, icthyosaur and mosasaurs.

Maybe I should just wipe the subrace, it's not like there's not quite a few already there...

Skyskimmer Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +2 Dexterity
Perch-Seeker: A Skyskimmer Shifter has Advantage on Strength (Climb) and jumping checks.
Glider: A Skyskimmer Shifter that is not Incapacitated is immune to Falling damage.
Shifting Feature: While Shifted, your wings strengthen, giving you a Fly speed. At 1st level, these are only powerful enough to propel you at a rate of 10 feet per round. At 3rd, 5th and 7th level, your flight speed increases by +10 feet, giving you a Fly speed of 20 feet, 30 feet and 40 feet, respectively.
>>
>>51516008
Gay
>>
>>51515856
Be on the lookout for the good players of the bunch, then poach them from that game and start your own.

But if you dont want to gm and would rather be a player, then youre basically screwed
>>
>>51516116
>tfw this (in the opposite direction) is how I joined my group
feels goodman
>>
Has anyone actually used the maps in Volo's? While aesthetic af, we probably would've been better served if they just included a link we could go to. Instead using that space for more lore or stats.
>>
>>51516116
All of them except two (one being the That Guy) are from my circle of friends, we've been playing together for 14 or so years.. though we're usually around 5 players so I am a bit wary of having 8 players all of the sudden.
And we usually have a different DM anyway.
>>
>>51515876
As somebody who is currently playing a character a year old who's been dual-wielding crossbows the whole time, thank you.
>>
>>51516106
I have a sinking suspicion that this one is overpowered. I gave it only a +2 to stats in total (+1 Con and +1 Dex) due to the power of its features, but still, I don't think that quite balances it.

If it's not obvious, this is your Hollywood style were-raptor Shifter.

Clawkiller Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Scything Claws: Your Unarmed Strike damage changes to 1 + Dexterity modifier Slashing damage.
Swift Runner: Your base land speed increases to 40 feet.
Leaping Killer: You ignore the movement penalty for difficult terrain and have Advantage on Jump checks.
Shifting Feature: While Shifted, your Unarmed Strikes do 1d6 + Dexterity modifier Magical Slashing damage. You also gain an Extra Attack which can only be used to make an Unarmed Strike.
>>
>>51510390
Just use a javelin.
>>
>>51509464

DMG, p. 278: "Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan."

PCs aren't, strictly speaking, monsters, but I'd rue that a Large PC wielding a weapon intended for a Large creature would do double the damage dice of the "standard" Medium-sized version from the PHB.
>>
>>51516373
Would you let a player go out and buy one?
>>
>>51516106
Fuck, the Plesiosaur is completely uninteresting in the MM. I tried to find something related to Loch Ness monsters, but there's not much to it except the mystery.

I like Skyskimmer, nothing much to say about it really. It flies, and flying is good.

>>51516244
Yeah,extra speed and ignoring difficult terrain coupled together is huge mobility. I don't play with grids, maybe someone who does can give an educated opinion on this.
Shifting feature needs better wording. Extra Attack is bad, because it would lead to confusion with the class feature. Using "you can make an additional unarmed strike" is more in line with the usual WotC jargon.
Any particular reason why the attacks count as magical?

I'm going to sleep right now, but I'll check this thread in the morning. Hopefully more people will give opinions on your homebrew, I really like the theme overall. Also if I think of something regarding the plesiosaur I'll be sure to post it. Good night fella.
>>
>>51516465

Sure, if they could find a vendor that could reasonably be expected to be selling items intended for Large creatures. In general, that's going to be basically no one, but if they happened to, I dunno, make nice with a group of ogres, they might be able to barter for some of their weapons. If they killed a Large creature, I'd let them take the weapons, of course. It's not like they disappear when the creature dies (usually).

I'll add that I'm 100% on board with different creation rules for monsters and PCs, but this weapon damage dice rule feels more like one that describes a physical rule of the universe like gravity or the like.
>>
>>51516091
Depends.
>>
So 5e is definitely well designed, but what're some of the more poorly designed aspects of the system?
>>
>>51516588
weapon properties for sure.

Improvised Longbow melee attack with Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master shouldn't be a thing.
>>
>>51516588
Confusing terminology such as 'melee weapon attack'.
There still being shit like WOT4E, pact of the blade. Redundant feats.
The death save system for anyone but ultracasuals.

Fighters/moks/barbarians and such generally feeling they have less utility potential than casters, especially late game. Speaking of which, high level spells are often improperly balanced.
>>
>new DM
>completely overloaded

Fuck me, my players are having tons of fun mostly because I ad lib and let them go off the rails (LMoP...Orc invasion to phandelver)

I find myself overwhelmed. All of these rules - trying to explain and detail the surroundings and characters - generating maps and NPCs - especially on roll20, finding maps for the setting is kind of hard

So far my players have had tons of fun - I've asked 3 and they didn't have any complaints, in 1 on 1s except them complaining about one player.

They wanted a back to back session after Sunday, on Monday, because I left on a cliffhanger.

I'm having fun too, but time flies very fast because I'm 100% busy
>>
>>51510690
>>51511226
as your party levels up higher i recommend you talk to your DM like I did.

my DM and I started giving my squire a level or two of certain classes when the party hit major milestones (for reference, level 8 was when the squire hit level 1). its cool to see them progress as heroes in their own right and lets them progress like the PCs do
>>
>>51516373
>>51516465
Monster and PC using separate rule is one of the advantage 5e has over 3.5.

It prevent people from doing stupid stuff like this.
>>
>>51516588
In addition to other things already mentioned I'd like to add one:
Encumbrance
>>
>>51516663
Last time they tried to balance martial and caster utility potential, 4e happen
>>
>>51516695
Yeah, but, rogues actually have some pretty nice shit, artificers have some pretty nice shit despite being third spellcasters, warlocks have some pretty nice shit even if you take away their spellcasting...
>>
>>51516668
Slow down, maybe use some pre-generated dungeons and adventures, don't burn yourself out too quickly.
>>
>>51516657
Kek, how does that even work?

>>51516663
What's confusing about melee weapon attack? Or should it just be noted as melee attack?

Which feats are redundant? I know dual wielder isn't worth it and should be modified to grant better effects.

Martials should get access to things like enhance ability, specifically endurance, strength and grace if they flex or physically exercise or something.
They should essentially get spell effects like true strike but also modified enough so the effects aren't directly copying the spells.
>>
>>51516695
It's because WotC takes the wrong approach.

Balace doesn't mean "the same", it means "keeps each other in check".

Giving someone a strong busted tool is fine, as long as someone else also has a strong busted tool. However, those tools should do DIFFERENT THINGS. They somewhat approached this by giving fighters the means to break apart the action economy but then they fucked it up by having Pole-arm Mastery being a FEAT instead of a class feature/subclass ability.
>>
>>51516695
>>51516811
4e was actually good and fun though.
>>
>>51516790
A weapon attack could mean ranged or melee
A ranged attack could mean with a weapon, natural weapon or spell
A melee attack could mean with a weapon, a natural weapon, or it could mean anything in an melee attack RANGE.

The game doesn't bother to properly define these and all kinds of spells and abilities will say shit like "weapon attack", "melee attack", "melee weapon attack" and it gets muddy as fuck.

Especially when monks can do damage that scales with their bare hands. Are they unarmed?
>>
>>51516834
4E was boring as shit and full of retarded abilities. Especially all the rogue ones that involved shifting and sliding opponents around on the equivalent of a real life chessboard.
>>
>>51516836
But melee weapon attack is really well defined though.
You're making a melee attack with a weapon, ie weapon or natural weapon.
>>
>>51516857
It's tactical and high powered fantasy, and apparently is powered by butthurt.
>>
>>51516857
But anon, D&D isn't real. It is a game like chess.
>>
>>51516868
Melee being...? A range?

>>51516888
>>51516892
Get back to /4eg/. Oh wait, 4e made everyone jump ship to Pathfinder.
>>
>>51516952
I never played 4e, I was just pointing out a fact of life your post suggested you were oblivious to.
>>
>>51516868
Fists are specifically not a weapon, yet they make melee weapon attacks.

>>51516790
Enhance ability sounds pretty lame, to be honest. You might as well just make everybody rogue if you want everyone to be good at skills.
I suppose you could make everybody good at their own areas of skill checks, but, eh...
Skill checks alone aren't the best way of measuring things.
5e did good to do things like proficiency. A DM can easily say 'if you have proficiency in this, you can just do it.'

Well, I suppose more like battlemaster is what's being aimed for. I'm looking at that 'judge an opponent' ability. It's a unique ability that has potential out of combat use that's very fitting for a fighter, to determine a foe's strengths, weaknesses or if simply a character is stronger than they appear.

Savage attacker is an almost redundant feat. Durable is pretty... Eh. Weapon master is just stupid.
>>
>>51516952
Melee being melee, this isn't a difficult concept.
Check out the melee attacks section. "Most ceatures have 5 foot reach and thus can attack targets within 5 feet of them when making a melee attack." If their reach is greater than 5 feet, it'd be noted in their descriptions.
Don't be retarded.
>>
>>51516952
Sorry you have really poor taste and you're really butthurt.
>>
>>51512113
Was left to be the sole guardian of a hidden monastery. All the monks died of old age, and no more ever showed up. After a few months he decided to go look into the situation/abandon his post to survive/whatever.
>>
>>51516997
Oh I don't mean skill enhancements, I meant ability score increases as the spells were known for in previous editions. The other classes can deal with skill checks.
>>
>>51517006
Is a reach attack still a melee attack though? I'm not being retarded.

You still didn't define melee attack. Your definition includes melee attack when explaining what one is. And if you do have reach, like a Bugbear, and you're attacking someone at a distance of greater than 5 feet, is it still a melee attack?
>>
>>51517057
Melee range is 5 feet. Specific rules for melee range such as with reach weapons trump the general rule and are stated in the weapon's description or the monster's statblock etc.
>>
Looking to get some feedback on a couple of things I've made. I'll just post the one for now.

This right here is the Psionic Origin for Sorcerers looking for a high-damage archetype. This archetype allows you to throw force and psychic damage around, though you'll most likely need to be right in the front lines to get the most out of it.

Any critique welcome.
>>
>>51517110
Incorrect, technically. Your reach is your range for melee attacks, which is usually 5 feet. Reach weapons just extend it.
>>
>>51516196
Unless you have a digital copy they are pretty useless
>>
>>51516588
The uninspired combat and forced tracking of mundane minutia. And lastly WotC's slow to fix attitude they know ranger, 4e monks, and bladelocks need love, but have only moved to fix one so far.
>>
>>51516671
You mean awesome. Limiting options due to poor balancing is proof of a flaw in a system.
>>
File: 1485893261698.png (206KB, 460x467px) Image search: [Google]
1485893261698.png
206KB, 460x467px
>>51516695
Yes, and it was amazing.
>>
>>51516857
Show me on the doll where 4e touched you anon.
>>
For a thief is there any reason to use a dagger over a shortsword?
>>
>>51516472
Uh, what grid reference? All movements in 5e are given in 5ft increments.

All of the shifters whose unarmed strikes count as magical whilst shifted is a way to keep them relevant. As was pointed out to me elsewhere, unarmed strikes and natural attacks are basically ribbons (ie, little better than flavor) because such attacks are practically useless. Even if they're not outpaced in terms of damage by ordinary weapons, which most of them are, they become useless at higher levels when you run into creatures that need magic to be damaged. Yes, the monk can treat them as magic all the time, but this lets you get full benefit out of your bite attack, claw attack, whatever no matter what class you use.
>>
>>51517342
>>51517366
Please start a /4eg/.
>>
>>51516952
It's ok anon, find your safe space. 4th ed can't hurt you due to your poor reading comprehension any more
>>
>>51517374
Daggers can be thrown.
>>
>>51517374
Daggers allow feat-less ranged two-weapon-fighting at a distance, provided your DM doesn't let you use shortswords as thrown improvized weapons that somehow still work perfectly fine. Also helps if your DM lets you draw two daggers a turn.
>>
>>51517374
Easier to conceal in clothing/sleeves, easier to smuggle into places with weapon bans, ect.
It's mostly RP advantages so if you are running around a dungeon full of hostile mobs then a shortsword is probably better mechanically.
>>
>>51517403
4E never hurt anyone, other than WotC's bottom line. And customer base.

Paizo loved it though.
>>
>>51517411
>>51517421
>>51517428
Thanks, just planing out a character for a new campaign and was making sure there wasnt something I was missing, like not being able to sneak attack or something.
>>
What are the best wizard spells that cause forced movement?
>>
>>51517458
Grease.
>>
>>51517057
Are you fucking serious? Read the sections.

"Melee Attacks
Used in hand-to-hand combat, a melee attack allows you to attack a foe within your reach. A melee attack typically uses a handheld weapon such as a sword, a warhammer, or an axe. A typical monster makes a melee attack when it strikes with its claws, horns, teeth, tentacles, or other body part. A few spells also involve making a melee attack.

Most creatures have a 5-foot reach and can thus attack targets within 5 feet of them when making a melee attack. *Certain creatures (typically those larger than Medium) have melee attacks with a greater reach than 5 feet, as noted in their descriptions*."
Note the emphasis.

If you're making a melee attack as a bugbear at a distance of greater than 5 feet then you're a fucking retard because the typical bugbear carries a morningstar with a reach of 5 feet. Otherwise you're making a ranged attack with their javelin.

However, if you're wielding a pike, which has the reach property, that means you add 5 feet to your reach when you attack with it. But then you can't use your shield.

Stop being fucking retarded and stop spouting stupid shit. Actually read.
>>
>>51517510
I mean spells that cause creatures to be pushed back or pulled, not spells that slow creatures down.
>>
>>51517514
>you're a fucking retard because the typical bugbear carries a morningstar with a reach of 5 feet

Go read Volo's about Bugbears as PCs and get back to me on the whole "other people are retards" thing.
>>
>>51517572
It's from the MM, again learn to fucking read.

Long-limbed means your reach is 10 feet total, you dithering retard. Addition and common sense isn't fucking difficult.
>>
>>51517453
A guide to rogue weapons:

Rogue's best weapon is hand crossbow with crossbow mastery. However, that requires a feat and may be more likely to be subjected to prone enemy difficulties or cover or the like. Also compatible with the +2 to hit archery fighting style if you get hold of that.
Longbow/heavy crossbow is basically either weirdly multiclassed or elf rogues that didn't get crossbow mastery yet also are going for ranged combat.
Then, rapier is normally best used either if you gain shield proficiency somewhere and you're sure about your hits Rapier also isn't a bad choice if you intend to use booming blade / green flame blade a lot. If allowed, there are stats for katanas somewhere which basically trumps the rapier with 1d10 damage providing you can't wear/don't want to wear a shield.
Sling is super-niche. If your dex score is bad and you have a druid/tomelock/someone else who can get the cantrip, you can ask them to give you magic stones which then use their +to hit and +damage instead of yours.
Dual shortswords is kinda standard. Two chances of getting sneak attack, but uses your bonus action. Also stronger than even a heavy crossbow if you use the bonus action but not a hand crossbow with the feat.
Daggers fill a 'I want a bit of range and to have two chances of sneak attacking' deal compared to shortswords. Basically just shortswords but ranged.

Anything else doesn't have a niche for rogue/is identical to another weapon. .. Or I forgot.
>>
>>51517514

Bugbears have an ability called Long-Limbed.

>When you make a melee attack on your
turn, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal.

Also, I think most people are ragging on the term "Melee Weapon Attack", not the concept of Melee Attacks. They probably intended it to be for PCs only but it unnecessarily muddies the waters for monks.
>>
>>51517633
Then why did you say

>
If you're making a melee attack as a bugbear at a distance of greater than 5 feet then you're a fucking retard because the typical bugbear carries a morningstar with a reach of 5 feet. Otherwise you're making a ranged attack with their javelin.

Sounds like you're the retard unable to do addition, common sense or read.
>>
>>51517637
See >>51517633
>>
>>51517650
See >>51517647
>>
>>51517658
>>
>>51517647
Because I said it's the typical bugbear, ie from the MM and not a monstrous PC, you piece of shit. How are you this mentally deficient?

How are you breathing and blinking at the same time?
>>
>>51517668
>when Bugbears become player characters their limbs grow longer
>>
>>51517676
That is per Volo's yes, show me where they have that in the MM.
>>
>>51517123
I'mma just bump this.
>>
>>51510951
I find it stupid that you have to roll initiative before you can land a shot.

If i am 200ft away and firing an arrow from a concealed spot then how in the world are they gonna notice it.

Granted perhaps they see the projectile before it hits them..but then we could fight over line of sight all day.
Thread posts: 351
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.