[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discussion Thread: Ideas and Originality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Wind_Fish's_Egg_Artwork.png (209KB, 448x300px) Image search: [Google]
Wind_Fish's_Egg_Artwork.png
209KB, 448x300px
Trying to settle a dispute with a friend.
Both of us are Dungeon Masters with some different viewpoints on particular matters, always friendly conversations thankfully. But last week we had a bit of a stronger argument about Originality in game design and ideas.
In essence, we were talking about where the line is between complete originality and complete "theft" (or borrowing, we affectionately can call it) that must not be crossed, else the game is no longer enjoyable for anyone.
We've both held games that were... "Inspired"... before, and we came to the conclusion that no matter how "inspired" a concept was to begin with, it would always be fairly open and changable the moment the players sit at the table, never "YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THAT'S NOT HOW IT WENT IN _______!!!" etc.
But still we differed in the level of how original a game has to be in entirety before it stops being enjoyable to a general group. (I say general group because obviously there will always be a group who would love to do an RPG based on *insert source here*.)
So, what do you think? Where does the line sit with you? How "original" do you think a game plan has to be? Can a game mechanic, such as the Majora's Mask three day moon falling, be used in a game? How do inspired concepts and mechanics, dilemmas and conflicts, puzzles and monsters, themes and, for lack of better words, ideas, whether minor or major, fair in shared storytelling?
>>
File: 1456102291387.png (305KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1456102291387.png
305KB, 1080x1920px
I love original games.
>>
>>51501063
There really is no line. It depends more on approach and execution than anything. Most of the time people roleplay, they are using a system designed by other people, and they may well be playing a pre-made adventure/module. It's hard to get less original than that. But okay, that's not even trying to do your own thing. So maybe you run something that's inspired by something else. Or maybe you even run a tweaked version of something else, either modifying an existing system (like OSR games) or reconfiguring an adventure module. And then there's all the area in between. As long as you're honest and upfront about what you're doing--and your players don't suddenly notice that your seemingly-original adventure is actually ripping off the plot to a popular movie or something--you should be fine. The difference between a tribute or re-telling and a rip-off really all comes down to this.
>>
>>51501082
I'm totally dissecting those words into component parts and using them as campaign ideas.
>>
>>51501063

Everything's okay until you start bringing Mario RPG canon into things.
>>
Honestly, I think bits and pieces of "tribute" sprinkled into things is good world building. But you have to know your audience, either in a general or specific sense.

Like, if your players are fans of comics, and you make there be an encounter or two that are clearly inspired by a comic book character, neat, they'll get a kick out of it. If you literally just run the plotline of the clone saga, you are a douchenozzle.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.