[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Carpenter's The Thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

So, I'm working on a one-shot for (mostly) unexperimented players.
I was thinking about running an adaptation of Carpenter's The Thing for them, in a different setting (was thinking of grim medieval) to make it not so obvious.

Since i have good material from the movie story-wise, the main problem comes from the fact that PC should be secretely replaced by the creature during the game. I want them to hunt the monsters within their party.
How can I set the doubt between them, and create an atmosphere of paranoia within the group ? What type of mechanics to determine who is replaced by the thing ?
Would taking players aside regularly be a good option, or would it ruin the pace of the game ?

Do you have horror pvp related story or advices ? Thx.
>>
>>51496411
Don't do it in D&D, or if you do make it level 1 and make a Thing offshoot like level 3 and really vulnerable to magic. But you'd be better off just using a simple d6 system or something.

The way to do it is via notecards and via constant stepping away from the table. Make it where PCs can routinely ask to talk to other PCs in private [like in the movie] and if a PC is the Thing, they can use this private time to attack where the other PCs are unaware.

Start the game by explaining the premise [so they know its a Thing quest] and take every PC aside and tell one of them "You are the Thing"
>>
>>51496411
If it's the Thing like in the movie, they're dead before the game even begins.
>plants are the thing
>insects are the thing
>rodents are the thing
Unless you have magical nukes, you're doomed.

You'd be better off with shoggoths or dopplegangers.
>>
>>51496628
OP here, I thought about starting the game with classical game elements to fool the few people in my group that are seasoned players. After that I'd change the pace. For the rest I see your point but how would you handle interactions outside the table, and how the Things assimilate new people ?

Do you think It would be good to let them a chance to escape or kill all monstres ?
Thx for your useful input.
>>
>>51496411
Just invite them to movie night.
>>
>>51496856
I seriously think this would be better as a simple beer and chips game, where everyone knows to be paranoid from the get-go because everyone knows its a Thing game.

And just use a ton of notecards and walking away from the table for private conversations and private combats.

The Thing should be defeatable in combat [even easy to defeat with a flamethrower] but you should have some mechanic for limiting flamethrower use and some mechanic so if two Things meet alone, they both realize they're Things.
>>
>>51496856
The main plot point of the thing is that both the scientists and the thing are trapped, so assuming that they can escape could break the mood, or if they escape, it might just be on a slightly larger scale (like, in the thing, going from one base to another). But letting them kill the monster is obviously necessary, even if it's really hard to pull of (planning to kill it, might not work... drama, tension...).

What do you mean by how to handle interaction outside the table ? You just need to do exactly the same thing you do at the table but aside. Just try to be quick. Try as much as possible to use notes to stay around the table, and just play the most important, plotwise, moments aside. Actually, a game like this could work really well with two dm.
>>
>>51496856
also, prepare props to give to your player : for example, a small description that goes like "you've been assimilated ! you're now the thing, your goal is to.... stuff stuff stuff". Several Cthulhu scenario handle it quite well (a lot of yellow king stuff, more with the going cultist side and also a really good scenario I played called the space between, which involves players becoming empty husk filled with void... on the set of a propaganda movie for a scientology church-ish cult, awesome, and truly in a carpenter's tone)
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.