[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In which I ask for help fleshing out a setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Tofiel political unfinished.png (6MB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Tofiel political unfinished.png
6MB, 1650x1275px
Hey fa/tg/uys.

I've got a setting here which I could use some help adding stuff to. Any suggestions, additions or criticism welcome.

Terrible map, complete with some stolen names, attached. It's a mixture of Napoleonic-era magitech (focused mostly on military and transportation advances, currently, with other areas falling behind such as medicine and communication), combined with Wild West themes along some of the frontiers. Dashes of Jules Verne and Grimm's Fairy Tales type stuff, depending on locale. World is flat. Further south you go, the hotter it gets (eternally burning wildfires in the Southern reaches of Ashuthar, and the Crystal Waste to the far North). No "equator" to speak of. Sun rises in the Southwest, sets in the Southeast.

Other flat/floating worlds exist, but rarely come into proximity with this one. The sun reflecting off of other worlds/shards are what create the "starry night" effect. Every 8 months there is a week of darkness, and every 8 months there is a week of light. In terms of religion and ecology, these are both very significant events.

Monstrous races exist, but in 'civilized' areas have been integrated into most societies even with the implicit and explicit cultural tensions.
Tenuous peace is currently in effect, but old Coalition sovereign nations threaten to push back against the expansion of the Republic (which is itself on the verge of becoming a new imperium).
>>
>Most commonly seen races in Tofiel (by no means a comprehensive list)
Humans, Ith'Liss ('cold bloods', covering both Lizardmen and Snakemen), Goblins/Trolls (bastard fey offshoots originally created to be the inventors/builders of the world, respectively; kicked out by other fey after creation), Araneas (spider people ranging in size from small dogs to horses; magical tendencies, using thaumaturgic web weaving techniques). These races are not culturally homogenous, they have different traditions and languages based on where they originate.

Some other races used to be more plentiful, but have either died off during the old Imperial Tribunal purification efforts or been driven out of "civilized" areas into the untamed wilds.

>Races to the east
Elves (Saldranor), Vampires (Mordheim, which are actually mostly Elves with corrupted spirits; lost a war against the Elves, but kept one of their nations in the process).

>Races to the south
Lots of big monsters and shit.
>>
>Broad-strokes regional info (map colors: Orange denotes Republican sympathy, Green denotes Coalition sympathies, Blue indicates independent sovereign nations. Lack of color indicates lack of involvement in the global political scheme, or unexplored/unsettled)

The Shattered States, to the west (#1-9) are what have become the Brass Republic; now with a centralized war-based economy and the continued consolidation of power by the First Consul, thanks to the Great Divide (war) which occurred a little over a decade ago. Featuring mostly a mixture of Western European aesthetics (but with steady immigrant influx), with a heavy focus on industrial evolution. Dealing with internal turmoil due to Royalist insurrectionists attempting to overthrow the current hegemony. Most likely where the campaign will begin.

Raysutan, which is Arabian Nights-flavored. Lots of interacting city-states within. Known for their fearsome cavalry and colorful luxury-based exports.

Thassar, which has some heavy Byzantine/Ottoman flavoring. Self-proclaimed imperium whose influence has been shrinking, but economy remains strong due to controlling trade in the eastern gulf and now-peacable relations with its neighbors.

Cadia, the last remaining *explicit* continental monarchy with a feudal power base. Despite heavy corruption, remains in control of land-based trade in the east.

Lao Lang, more or less civilized Chinese cultures to the south and Mongol-like roaming warlords to the North. Lots of territory, much of which is untamed and not worth much. Oldest remaining continental traditions. Lots of jealously guarded unique magical disciplines.

Llystwyn. Basically a bunch of subdivided nomadic tribes, mostly Celtic gael-influenced, lots of untamed wilderness that actively resists the march of civilization and monsters still lurk in the dark.
>>
>>51496016
>continued
Gokogo, mesoamerican influence with some Egyptian mixed in; fungus jungles, pyramids, dark gods, panther-worshipping cannibalistic pygmies, etc.

Ashuthar, a mix of Africa and South America. Lots of warlords, highly decentralized despite several self-proclaimed Kings presiding over much of the territory there. Lots of pirates and smugglers come from here. Attempts to colonize from the north have mostly gone badly.

Kjostfell, Swedish/Dutch/Norwegian influences. Heavy sailing culture.

Stovsova, lots of ancient Russia influences. Very superstitious.

Cronos. Basically one giant magic hazmat area with some really valuable resources that make exploration worth the risk, save for two minor colonized city-states; Coalition sympathy-colored due to exporting rare resources primarily to Coalition sovereign entities.

Kallisti. Some old Icelandic influences (for the native people), but for about 150 years now it's almost entirely been controlled and developed by colonizers from Stovsova, Kjostfell and the Brass Republic. Composed of a series of non-sovereign city-states.

Mordheim, the oldest Elven civilization now ruined by war and turned into one big undead wankfest/war machine. Cooperating with the Coalition in exchange for naval reinforcement from Lao Lang, in an effort to finally take Saldranor down the road.

Saldranor, a bunch of Elves; primarily Roman influences, they believe in strong traditions and surviving through strength and your own hand. Lagging behind technologically by a long way, due to both rampant xenophobia, paranoia about expansion and the consistent worrying of Mordheim to the north. Mostly happy to live, sail around and die on their last little island nation.
>>
>>51495931
Question: What makes it the "southwest" if that's the direction the sun rises in? I'd expect the inhabitants to just define that as being "east", like they did in our world. Does this world have magnetic poles despite being flat? And if so, how early did the inhabitants discover compasses that "the direction the sun rises from" never got the chance to be culturally entrained as "east"?
>>
>Magic
Magical traditions differ greatly depending on the region, but generally speaking it's extremely dangerous, misunderstood and fairly irresponsible to use.
This has been changing quickly over the last three decades, though. Thaumaturgic advances spearheaded by recent war efforts are now being cautiously expanded into more utilitarian roles, namely transportation and municipal infrastructure improvements.

Cloudskiffs, automated mining facilities, railways, water purification, usable firearms, articulated prosthetics; these things and much more are now possible, but still in their fledgeling forms.

Independent magic practitioners require registration in nearly all sovereign nations, and practicing magic itself is generally frowned upon; any uses outside strict guidelines, in most locales, warrants extreme punishment.

During the War of the Great Divide, for the first time ever magic practitioners (along with mundane folk) were actively drafted into specialty roles for specific battle and battlefield engineering purposes.

Magic, while still extremely dangerous, is mostly being developed and expanded by dedicated research branches of different governments. This does result in massive problems and tragedies from time to time, but once an effect becomes well-understood enough to be reproducible with an acceptable failure rate (somewhere under 3%, ideally) then usually the local government approves its general use in either factory or laboratory conditions, depending on how much they will benefit from it.

Independently developing thaumaturgical processes themselves is considered both immoral and illegal. Most actual practitioners feel strongly opposed to this, what some may consider a false dichotomy, but nonetheless it remains enforced as much as possible almost universally within populated areas.

Some exceptions exist, such as Matakan universities within Lao Lang, do train independents in both the art and development of magical techniques.
>>
>>51496167
This world doesn't have magnetic poles, nor "gravity" in the sense of the traditional physics behind it (certainly things fall, and there is weight, and all that); there is kind of a weird convoluted reason for the sun rising and setting the way that it does, but basically the "flat" world is spinning on one end like a coin, while also rotating around one axis of the sun (which is not actually a big thermal star).

Compasses don't exist; most navigation is performed via "the Oracle", which is a small Majora's Mask-esque moon/planetoid stuck suspended in midair approximately a mile and a half off the ground. This is in view, in some form or fashion, across the entire world.

In places where the Oracle is not in view, other methods of navigation have been developed (and vegetation usually grows in specific/bizarre ways, due to the sun always essentially being in one vague direction [to the south]; it never rises all the way into the sky during noon, for instance).

Hopefully that makes sense. Also open to "that's dumb, why are you so dumb, here's how it SHOULD work"-type comments.
>>
File: Airship.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Airship.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
What am I looking for help on?

Well, for one, languages. I'm still not certain how many languages to create; one for each sovereign entity seems dumb, but it also seems dumb to have "Westerling," "Easterling", "Ashuthari", etc.

Another thing I could use help with is unique cultural facts, or traditions, or organizations for these different historically-inspired areas. I don't want to rip a bunch of stuff wholesale out of their respective history books for every last detail.

On racial integration with society: if goblins predisposed towards lavish tinkering due to their fey origins are integrated into a major metropolitan area, what happens? Similarly, trolls with a penchant for stonehewing? Or Ith'Liss, perhaps working in constantly-working smithies and bakeries, or running saunas, predisposed towards 'hot' areas due to their physiology? Araneas might be a boon for textile industries, or construction, the larger ones might even work well as couriers or draft animal stand-ins (pulling carts with visitors from place to place, like taxi drivers) in innercity areas.

Different landmarks. Random historical events. People you might see. Unique magical traditions. Interesting plot hooks. Ideas for different belief systems.

I'll take pretty much anything, even if it's "your idea isn't that great or is kinda boring, here's some stuff to spice it up".

Questions also welcome.
>>
File: Canals.jpg (526KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Canals.jpg
526KB, 1920x1080px
Some random stuff I came up with in the last 10 minutes.

>Place:
"Eight-Leg Alley," an Aranean slum in the Labor Ward of the city of Kingswealth, in Taros, where the destitute sling webs between buildings down a 5-block stretch; looks like one giant continuous tunnel of spider-infested cobwebs.

>Religion (monotheistic, predominant in the West):
Athras, "She with Two Faces". Her myths and followers believe that she slew all of the old gods after they polluted Tofiel with their non-human offspring, putting herself into divine power and looking after the human race. The left side of her face, and her eye, are bright orange; this is the side she turned to the Old Gods. Representing divine wrath, justice, loyalty, and strength. The right side of her face/right eye are blue, representing peace and inner calm, tranquility, mercy. This side she turned to humanity in their time of need.

As a sign of faith, her followers pass their open right hand, palm-in, over the left side of their faces during prayer or asking for Her Mercy; indicating their plea for Athras to cover her Wrathful face and show them her Merciful one instead.

>Person:
Alistair Cromwell, 1st Consul of the Brass Republic. Originally from Sus, he was given a chair after his assistance as General during the Great Divide. Now he is the primary driver behind the consolidation of power and the marginalization of the other Consuls, and he has great support due to the changes he's made to centralize and rejuvenate the economy.
>>
I will never understand these threads.

So you want people to write a setting for you? Then why not simply use a ready made one? One that other people made for you won't be your own anyway.
>>
File: sleeping king.jpg (106KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping king.jpg
106KB, 1024x512px
>>51497253
As you can see, I have already created quite a bit by myself already and I'm mainly hoping for people to submit additional interesting ideas or point out flaws in things I've written that I might not be aware of or have invented on my own. /tg/ does cooperative setting contribution stuff all the time. I'm not asking for anyone to "write a setting for me".

Beyond that, even if I had no material whatsoever to present, sometimes it's fun just being creative and contributing to the cooperative creation of something new or different in some way. Help isn't a bad thing to ask for, or get.

I can see this thread is unlikely to be participated in, which is fine. I just don't really get why you'd come into my thread to complain aimlessly about a creative activity you clearly aren't going to participate in anyway.

Anyway, regardless, thanks for the bump.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.