[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be a good system for pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: FTL-Logo.jpg (36KB, 616x353px) Image search: [Google]
FTL-Logo.jpg
36KB, 616x353px
What would be a good system for pic related?
>>
If you mean a group of people crewing a small ship, Traveller is the classic answer. I know there's also a Firefly RPG that IIRC runs on the Cortex system, but I've never heard much about it beyond its rather amusing technobabble table.
>>
>>51493023
I kind of liked how Firefly's stats work, the stat is represented by larger and larger dice. Played it once and I'm not sure if it was due to the game or the DM, but it was very enjoyable.
>>
I'd treat each crew member as a level 1 fighting-man in an OSR, just roll 3d6 down the line for them. You'd probably have to make your own rules for the parts of the game that actually matter though: the ships and weapons (and drones).

Maybe you could take a look at the board game Steam Torpedo for inspiration. Modules for ships are physical cards or tiles that you can shuffle around.
>>
Is there a good system that gets the feel of a team operating multiple systems on a ship? Like everyone has some agency in combat.
>>
>>51493366

This has been discussed a lot on /tg/, but there are no systems which even try, as far as I know.

Rogue Trader has some half arsed rules for party involvement in ship to ship combat, but generally it's just a case of some people are relevant but others do nothing.

I do think you could build a really great game around the idea of players as the crew of a single thing, whether it's a starship or a naval vessel or a tank or a giant robot, but you'd need a really strong idea for core mechanics that kept everyone relevant and encouraged teamwork, and I've never really figured out something that would fit the bill.
>>
>>51493393
I think high lethality is a key part of FTL, to the point that as a GM, I'd feel like I was doing a player a disservice by assigning them a PC and saying "this guy dies, and you have to start from scratch."
>>
>>51493393
I know that one of the Stars Without Number books has some suggested rules, which seem like a good starting point for making your own or, what I'd personally do: use them in Traveller with a supply of backup characters on hand, or in a different OSR game with some adjustments, since SWN is a bit of a weird middle ground between the two and I'd prefer to move to either side.
>>
>>51493005
I dunno, but I like how they did the jumps in the BSG reboot. The mechanics of it seem to have a lot of storytelling potential, not that they use it much in the show, outside that first episode, 33.
>>
>>51493366
GURPS Spaceships has rules for running the various functions on the ship. It also has ships divided into sections (powerplant, engine, living quarters, comm suite, etc.) so you can have stuff like a missile taking out a specific part of the ship and fucking over most people in that area.

If GURPS isn't your thing, the Spaceship rules don't really interact with the base rules of the system; you could give it a readthrough and then port the mechanics to a system of your choice.
>>
If you're in a more narrative bent, I expect you could use Fate, though I'd almost certainly limit the Create an Advantage stacking and make stress/consequences more potent to get that life-or-death feel of FTL.

Another narrative system you could adapt could be Dogs in the Vineyard.
>>
how about eclipse phase?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.