[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GM Challenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: Strange Character Lineup.jpg (83KB, 1010x375px) Image search: [Google]
Strange Character Lineup.jpg
83KB, 1010x375px
Scenario: The PCs are trapped in a room with a group of imprisoned but djinn.
These djinn are not yet bound to serve or grant wishes when freed.
The only method of escape is to free one of the djinn and trust that they will assist and not harm you.
Assume that any PC "sense motive" roll fails or are not applicable.
How do you, the GM, indicate which of the various djinn might be trustworthy, without making it obvious?

Pic mildly related as a group of individuals one might get the wrong impression of.
>>
>>
>>
>>51490772
Idk man, Frank looks evil and is evil. No wrong impression there
>>
>>51490772
Make them all hot girls, but only one is tuned to my fetishes. The players who know me well will figure it out. They probably won't dare enter my realm though.
>>
>>51492614
>Frank looks evil and is evil.
What did Frank do that was evil?
Engage in underage drinking?
Drive with a fraction less response time than a driver with roughly two decades more experience?
Help save the universe?
He looked far more eldritch and evil than he was.
>>
>>51493740
>Make them all hot girls, but only one is tuned to my fetishes.
Sadly, this is a better idea than what I could come up with.
A version of knowing which answer the judge would subjectively choose.
Of course, it's far too much metagaming for my tastes.
Is there a way to do it besides knowing what the GM likes to do?

Ideally, the players will come up with some test, but counting on players being clever and creative when you want them to is making a placesetting for doom.
>>
File: tumblr_mpjnxjR8AN1rsus6so1_500.jpg (240KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpjnxjR8AN1rsus6so1_500.jpg
240KB, 500x344px
>>51494711
>making a placesetting for doom
>>
>>51490772
Do the Corporate Medias way. Have all the Djinns show their best attitude, promise extra rewards and stuff. Also, have them bicker among themselves.

One say that there will be pain and a lot of work to do if they want to get out. Have him even exaggerate on the difficulties ahead. But he doesn't bitch about his competitors.

Of course, the other Djinns will ridicule his exaggerations, saying that if you can't believe his words, why would you trust his promise?

(But in the end, every hardship announced is actually real, just not as grandiose as first told)
>>
>>51496747
>have the djinn talk amongst themselves
>display character through dialog and bickering
>djinn that is honest about the difficulty and neither trolls the other djinn nor rises to the bait is the best choice
It was so obvious.
Now I just need a few middle choice djinn that won't screw the PCs over too much.
>>
Is there a hard limit on how many they can free? If not why not just free em all? If they don't get out they were never getting out. If they do, problem solved.
>>
>>51497907
>Is there a hard limit on how many they can free?
Not at all.
Freed djinn can't linger in the material world for long if they're not bound though.

>If not why not just free em all?
Well, because they are extremely powerful beings and any one of them might turn you inside out just for fun and, once freed, there is literally nothing stopping them.
>>
>>51498325
>>51497907
They're a bit like summoned demons, only no more malevolent than humans with great power.
>>
>>51490772

ask one of the Djinn to answer as if he was an amalgam of all the other Djinni, to rank each Djinn in order from most helpful if released, to least helpful. If the Djinn ranks himself high, you know he's lying since any Djinn would want to be released.
>>
File: IMG_0251.jpg (140KB, 1279x959px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0251.jpg
140KB, 1279x959px
Since the the djinn know that only one of them gets free, they all start a competition between themselves for the players attention:

>one is clearly very powerful but seems shady

>one is kinda a trickster and shows his powers by
playing small pranks on the others

>one is to pride to show off

>one seems so weak that if the PCs pick him, he wouldn't turn on them

Just a couple examples. What I learned about GMing different groups is, that if I don't make the clues so obvious, my players will complain that they have been way too obvious, they will simply overlook every help I give them.

I would make it so, that every choice is theoretically the right choice. It's only the question which of the djinn, they think can handle and how much they need to help them. The consequences of that can range from new best friend to new BBEG.
>>
>>51499867
>I would make it so, that every choice is theoretically the right choice.
>The consequences of that can range from new best friend to new BBEG.
I was planning on more or less this, with one option being clearly suicide.

I liked your examples too.

>>51499315
Not sure if this would work
>>
>>51499315
That doesn't make sense. If a Djinn is trustworthy, he's also the best choice and cannot lie. Therefore he will also rank himself highly. Your methodology is useless.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.