[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>party are a bunch of mercs assigned to destabilise a third

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0595.jpg (38KB, 458x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0595.jpg
38KB, 458x640px
>party are a bunch of mercs assigned to destabilise a third world dictatorship run by a brutal monarch who has suddenly gotten more extreme
>help train and eventually lead the underground resistance into transforming themselves into a formidable rebellion
>plot twist is that the resistance leader who hired the mercs is actually the real former despotic monarch who was ususrped in a secret bloody coup by his psychotic body double
>now wants to recapture the throne under the guise of a selfless freedom fighter and rule once again with absolute power manipulating the mercs the entire time
>will attempt to kill them for discovering his secret and to consolidate power

Is this a shitty plot twist? Pretty sure my players don't suspect a thing even though I've sprinkled hints (like the dossier claiming the monarch is left handed but during the body double's televised military parade he grasps things with his right including signing a document) but was wondering if I should really go through with the double cross or not. If it sucks then l think it could potentially ruin an otherwise fun campaign

We're getting toward the end and I think they're about to confront the body double who they still believe is the real monarch next session
>>
>>51489251
Uh, I'm not sure I understand the monarch's logic of making the population hate HIM (his double, but you see what I mean) so he can take power.
Clearly he should be asking the mercs or any other elite group to physically remove his body double so he can just step in his own shoes.

I mean, he could get plastic surgery and then stage the rebellion to overthrow his double but that sounds a lot harder.
>>
>>51489296
He's in disguise as a resistance leader, he wants to depose his body double and then lead as the resistance leader
>>
>>51489309
But don't you think the fact that he looks EXACTLY like the guy he just deposed would raise some questions? Especially since his face is probably plastered and broadcasted everywhere?
>>
>>51489341
I've rationalised it in my mind as him being in disguise. He's grown a beard and wears contacts in his eyes that change the iris colour from his natural hue.
>>
>>51489251
Why does he want to kill the players? Why can't he just end the relationship amicably, as he knows they're grade-A badass shit-kickers. Shake their hands, recommend them to some fellow heads of state and offer them primo seats at the opera or grand prix next time they want to visit the principality.
>>51489371
I can't help but think it would have been better if he had some "my evil twin usurped me, but as I escaped death and lived among my people, I realized the true meaning of nobility. One day, after I have restored the family name and the trust of the people, I shall lead my people into a new, modern age"-bullshit to legitimize his claim amongst dyed-in-the-wool royalists and moderate republicans.
>>
>>51489371
Might as well go with plastic surgery to make it believable, most dudes on the run do that anyway.

It doesn't change the fact that it's a weird plan. Again, he could just aim to quietly dispose of his double (just like the double got rid of him) and take back the reins.
If he must stage a rebellion no matter what, he could flat out expose what happened to the population and promise that his double's reign of terror is over (he can attribute all his crimes to the double too) and he will go back to the dictablanda from his honeymoon period. The population will grow quickly disenchanted but it's not like it would have been different by posing as a resistance leader and then doing the same thing anyway. Note that in this scenario he doesn't really need to shut up the mercs.

I don't know, the entire thing is pretty contrived.
>>
>>51489474

Or do an Amon / Zero thing and have him be masked all the time, as his identity isn't important, it's the movement.
>>
>>51489474
>I can't help but think it would have been better if he had some "my evil twin usurped me, but as I escaped death and lived among my people, I realized the true meaning of nobility. One day, after I have restored the family name and the trust of the people, I shall lead my people into a new, modern age"-bullshit to legitimize his claim amongst dyed-in-the-wool royalists and moderate republicans.
Oh, that's great too. Very romantic.
>>
>>51489484
It's not too late, I can still do this

In fact I can even have them go on one last quest before the finale with the real monarch where the body double tells them to seek out a doctor with his dying words. They track him down and uncover the whole plot

>>51489474
I was thinking of him actually having a change of heart and truly learning to love the people he governs. He was a brutal dictator before his body double tried to assassinate him but maybe he could try to atone by ruling as the freedom fighter

I've got lots to think about now how I want to do this
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.