[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Bosmer from Elder Scrolls supposed to be Celtic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0597.gif (31KB, 220x347px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0597.gif
31KB, 220x347px
Are the Bosmer from Elder Scrolls supposed to be Celtic?
>>
No.
Is your post supposed to be shitposting?
>>
File: TES-Lore-Bosmer-Cannibalism.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TES-Lore-Bosmer-Cannibalism.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>51487589
They are cannibals, so yes.
>>
>>51487601
Elder Scrolls is /tg/ related you fucking new redditor
>>
>>51487589
No but the Breton have frenchmen and celtic inspirations.
Mostly a medieval south France ambiance.
>>
>>51487632
Bretons are a combination of French and Anglo Saxon
>>
>>51487630
Elders Scrolls as a setting can easily be /tg/ related.
>>
>>51487589
Not really no. There isn't a direct analogy for many of the races in Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>51487641
Are you sure ? I had the feeling their region in Daggerfall was mostly based on the south of France .
>>
>>51487641
Bretons are Bretons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretons
>>
>>51487641
He's mainly talking about Reach-men I think.
>>
>>51487695
Except Bethesda has been extremely wishy washy on the characterisation of all the races over the years and literally make it up as they go
>>
>>51487589
as far as my understanding goes, Bosmer are probably closest to native south americans. Like the scary jungle ones with the bowl cuts.
>>
>>51487741
Nah, they just retcon their old lore a whole lot to make the newer games more accessible.

Nords used to be Northern Germanics inhabiting a land full of cocaine-spewing flying whales. Now Nords are just Northern Germanics.

The Imperial region used to be a multicultural society with Roman-esque culture and South-East Asiatic climate. Now it's just Rome and Imperial is a race.

And so on.
>>
>>51487768
But their names are Germanic and Celtic sounding and the "Wild Hunt" is from real world Germanic cultures. Nothing about them really screams Native Americans at all
>>
>>51487786
Nothing about them screams Celtic besides the names either.
>>
>>51487790
>nothing about them screams Celtic except for the stuff I arbitrarily preclude from this statement

I see you've really fine tuned those argumentative skills on Reddit. It shows
>>
>>51487786

>tribal, insular cannibals that live in a giant scary jungle and practice all sorts of crazy religious shit and wear human bones and stuff.

ya sounds like celts and germanics to me
>>
>>51487840
That uh does actually...
>>
>>51487890
I didn't know irish people lived in the jungle and spoke for the trees
>>
>>51487783
>full of cocaine-spewing flying whales

There's still a lot of snow where they live. Nobody says that it isn't whale coke.
>>
>>51487890

>I know nothing about European history or culture

Educate yourself.
>>
>>51487944
>implying Celts weren't savage forest dwellers who prized collecting human heads and had a strange fixation with horned deities

I guarantee I know more than you do, mouth breather

>>51487910
No culture has ever "spoke for the trees" but ancient celts are associated with pagan Druidic rituals. It's kind of their things you fucking idiot. Also most of Western Europe and Britain was Celtic, not just Ireland you fucking American
>>
>>51487589
No not at all.
Bosmer are cannibal cavemen, their culture realy isnt inspired by any particular real life culture.

The Celtic equivalent would be Bretons and Reachmen, the former beeing more Arthurian while the latter are more the savage Pictish / Gaulish variety.

Celtic elements in TES are generaly associated with northern nedes.

Nords also have some celtic / scottish elements with their woad paint but that was mostly in morrowind.

>>51487783
Actually as of late the Nibenese / Colovian shift is beeing explored again, sure it isnt as interresting as in Morrowind but at least they begin to acknowledged it.

Especialy with Skyrim they made an effort to include the Voice from PGE1 which they ignored in Morrowind and Oblivion and some other cool stuff, its not ideal and yes Bethesda is dumbing down the setting but its not as bad as it was around the time of oblivion.

>>51487786
the names dont sound celtic or germanic, yes the wild hunt is a germanic mythology but realy the wild hunt of the Bosmer is unrelated to that but in name
>>
>>51487589
No. They're supposed to be wood elves with a cannibalistic twist. Elder Scrolls is so far past the beginnings of the OG fantasy settings that Bethesda was basing their shit predominantly on other fantasy settings, not real world cultures. They're just taking old fantasy archetypes and putting whacky and new spins on them, like the wood elves being savages instead of treehuggers.

Their names don't stand out as particularly Celtic beyond the typical fantasy-esque names that at this point have lost all context, and the Breton fulfill the Celtic position. As mentioned, Bretons are Bretons. For non-elves I'm a little more willing to accept real-world influences because they have always had several races of men to differentiate between, and Breton being the "vanilla" race before Imperials were made their own thing means they used to be very standard Medieval fantasy in nature. In Daggerfall, their names (surnames at least) are always very Welsh, Cornish or at least Britonic in nature. Later on, of course, they begin taking on aspects of the French, but the root of their culture remains Medieval feudalism and chivalry, in the vein of Arthurian legend. You know, King Arthur, king of the Britons, natives of Britain, who fought to drive out the Saxons, and an inspiration for the Cadwaladr myth (an Arthur-esque king who would unite the Britons and drive out the Anglo-Saxons from Britain).

Continuing with Bretons, the real-world Bretons were Cornish and to a lesser extent Welsh people's who fled Britain and settled in the north of France and Spain, bringing with them their language, customs and legends. Arthur being among them. On top of all that, the Reachmen are like old-school "ROMANS GET OUT" Picts or Gauls, with the paints/tattoos and mustaches.
>>
>>51487589
>Is X fiction race identical to Y real culture.
No. Nearly never. Even the most shitty DeviantArt OC DONUT STEEL race has elements from at least a few different cultures.
>>
>>51488046
Yes, but usually only because the creator substitiutes any information he is uncertain about with his elements from his own culture.
>>
>>51488000
this is some quality shitposting, got me
>>
>>51487589

Giant eared cannibals with an off skin tone, oft reddish eyes and an affinity for the outdoors and animals?

They're expies for the people of Yorkshire
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.