[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Holy Opposites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 9

File: Holy_Opposites_cover.png (4KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
Holy_Opposites_cover.png
4KB, 230x300px
Hello, my friends,

I have recently finished and almost entirely edited the project I've been mentioning on and off for the last few months. I've finished the book I have been writing since November, Holy Opposites, a tale of apocryphal Realmslore. It's a novel, from the perspective of two very different young Paladins, an Aasimar and a fiend-blooded partner. I've already begun uploading it to the wiki, here.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Story:Holy_Opposites

As a synopsis, I'll post this.

The story is set after the current WOTC story arcs, like Storm King's Thunder, and The Tyranny of Dragons. The rise of so many disruptive groups in the Realms, particularly the Sword Coast, has left a mark on the lands. Now, the Cult of Hate has arisen under the dark god Bane, seeking to capitalize on the chaos for their own, twisted order. A Paladin from a small church in Waterdeep returns to his home city to prepare to join the offensive against the cult, only to be stopped by his new partner. This new woman, a recent addition to the church, reveals a terrible secret to him: she is not a mortal at all, but a monster, formerly in the service one of the church's great enemies.

The two must recruit allies from other religious institutions in the City of Splendors, before the Baneites can figure out who precisely is opposing them, and take steps to preempt an attack.
>>
File: Axiopistos.png (74KB, 1500x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Axiopistos.png
74KB, 1500x2100px
Normally, I would dump a great deal of the story here, to drum up interest, but I will only do so if it interests people directly, since the story is so long.

I've also commissioned artwork for the story from several /tg/ drawfriends, and I'll be uploading it to the gallery.

See Eversor's take on one of the two perspective characters, specifically the church's head Paladin, Axiopistos.
>>
File: Badges.png (38KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Badges.png
38KB, 1200x1200px
The cloak badges of the two perspective Paladins.

When I was writing this story, I wanted to put as much emphasis as possible on the villains, since I feel that fantasy villains are often quite hackneyed and one-dimensional. The villains in this story have their own backgrounds, their own personalities, and their own agendas, and their internal struggles get almost as much pagetime as the heroes'.
>>
File: Grand_cleric_solen.png (456KB, 764x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Grand_cleric_solen.png
456KB, 764x1080px
I also wanted to examine the topic of religion in a setting like the FR, which has immense importance placed upon religions and deities, so I made the party of Paladins, mostly so I could examine the relationship between them and the less militant parts of their church. The Aasimar's grandfather runs his church, and he's a major player in the story.

Him in his early days. Also a /tg/ pic.
>>
File: Cavria_gears_up.png (123KB, 700x451px) Image search: [Google]
Cavria_gears_up.png
123KB, 700x451px
I wound up changing the appearance of the fiend-blooded Paladin significantly, but this was her initial appearance.
>>
File: Glorious_youth_of_solen.jpg (270KB, 1461x2136px) Image search: [Google]
Glorious_youth_of_solen.jpg
270KB, 1461x2136px
Another /tg/ drawfriend picture. I think I wound up getting more art of the Grand Cleric than the deuteragonists.
>>
>>51482558
>that kid-at-the-candy-store expression
I'm surprised she's not drooling.
>>
>>51482656
Yeah, she loves her new gear.
>>
File: Cavria.png (57KB, 1500x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Cavria.png
57KB, 1500x2100px
As I upload more pages to the wiki, I want to take the chance to talk about the story a bit.

Paladins get a bad rep around /tg/, and I totally get it. The player class attracts assholes, there's no question of that. It's a hard class to RP well.

I wanted to show at least a few of my own favorite takes on the class. Axiopistos is the classic Paladin, concerned with love, justice, and just generally doing as his Goddess wills, content in the certainty that she won't lead him astray. He has a bleeding heart, no doubt, but he can force himself to act when confronted with the ugliest horrors, and he always fights to keep his priorities straight. Beyond that, however, he is a man, and he has his own shit to deal with, quite beyond his job. He has a family, he has a little sister and parents, and they have their own thoughts about how the church is run.

Cavria is the convert. She didn't start out in the service of Ryaire, and when she entered it, she did so under some duress. She learned to love Ryaire's rules, and worship her for her ownership of her portfoilo (Child sacrifice victims, early death, mourning parents). She has a strange and traumatic youth, but she powered through it with Ryaire's help, and now she has lent her arm to the cause. She's just as sure in her faith, and less sure in herself, but she's also, paradoxically, more sure that people like her are needed because of it. She has a far less securely positive opinion of the human decency than Axio.
>>
>>51482213
Neat. I'll check this out.

The text in that image is unreadable though.
>>
>>51483270
The text does require squinting, sadly, thanks to the frankly ludicrous requirements on cover dimensions on the NaNoWriMo site. I suspect I'll get around to commissioning a larger version someday.
>>
File: 1479787886813.png (161KB, 782x734px) Image search: [Google]
1479787886813.png
161KB, 782x734px
I've finished uploading the first quarter of the story, by the way, navigable by the footer template.

This is Aresh, the Half-Eladrin Axio befriends early on.
>>
File: androlynn.png (2MB, 2000x2143px) Image search: [Google]
androlynn.png
2MB, 2000x2143px
A spooky Balor, menacing a person.

Yeah, this shit gets dark.

See you all later, and I hope you enjoy.
>>
Thanks for that OP.

Have a bump on me.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.