[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eastern Campaign Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hello /tg/! I'm here seeking for advice and ideas for the next campaign that I'll run: an eastern campaign!

What kind of myths or stories could I use for inspiration?

What kind of creatures, spirits, races, animals or monsters could appear as NPCs?

Anyone here that has already run a eastern campaign setting have some useful advice for me?
>>
How do you mean 'Eastern'? That is a pretty broad descriptor which could mean any number of things.
>>
>>51481566
It's more about eastern fantasy. Something about Japan, India and China myths - about the magic of the myths that occurs in these places.
>>
I've got some advice for you.
Be real fucking careful about your players. All it takes is one obnoxious armchair historyfag to ruin it for everyone by constantly whining about "inaccuracies" and trying to take advantage of cultural quirks from wherever the setting is based that might not actually be true in-setting. Either know the people you're playing with, go full historical, or be ready to shut that shit down quick.
>>
>>51481542

China and Japan get used all the time. Why not look to places like Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia for any weird cool myths or cultural practices that you can adapt for your fictional setting? Google for folk tales, legends, religious stories, and also for practices of the nobility.

Try to keep names simple when you make things. A name like Lo Kwan is simple and easy to remember, a name like Phavixay Engchawadechasilp is not.
>>
>>51481661
>Japan
there aren't too many myths you can easily find for consultation, look into Japanese Buddhism though, specifically the militaristic aspects of the religion, both in regards to the Sohei and the Samurai
>China
get your hands on some decent wuxia fiction (books and movies are both plentiful), Journey to the West is also great for giving you an idea of what Chinese fantasy looks like
>India
look into the various stories of the Bhagavad Gita, there's some crazy shit in there
>>
>>51481677
Generally my players aren't dicks, but I agree in having some cautiousness

>>51481708
Micronesia and Indonesia also counts as eastern? >_>
>>
>>51481756
>look into the various stories of the Bhagavad Gita, there's some crazy shit in there
damn right there is

After slaying a monster the god Indra decides to go up to the cosmic mountain and build a palace for himself. So he gets the craftsman of the gods to build him a palace, every time he goes to see it however he wants it to be even larger and fancier than it already is. Eventually the craftsman goes to complain to Brahma about it. The next day a beautiful boy with blue-black skin walks up to Indra's palace, Indra wants to meet with him, he asks his opinion of his palace

"yes I heard you were trying to build a greater palace than any other Indra"

"what do you mean other Indras"

"the universe is constantly reborn anew, there are literally infinite of you"

as he says this an army of ants march across the floor and the boy laughs and says "each ant is a former Indra, who slew their monster and grew too proud".

As the boy was talking an old yogi entered the palace, carrying a banana-leaf parasol and wearing a loincloth, on his chest was a disc of hairs, about half of them fallen out.

"old man what is your name, where is your family, where is your house, and what is with the hairs on your chest?"

"my name is Hairy, I don't have a house, I don't have a family. I just meditate at Vishnu's feet. Every time a universe dies, a hair falls off my chest"

then the two leave. The young boy was Vishnu, the old Yogi was Shiva.

So Indra gives up on building his house, dismisses the craftsman. He eventually decides to go out into the wilderness and spend the rest of eternity meditating.

His wife Indrani however isn't too happy about that plan, so she goes out and finds a wise man. He comes back to Indra's palace and tells him that he should stay and perform his duty as a king, and also I'll write a book on the art of love for you and your wife.

So Indra stayed, did a pretty good job as a god, and everything worked out
>>
>>51481542
Whoever drew this has never seen a single piece of cloth in their life.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.