[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 47

File: BZEKgAwCQAAXlzS.jpg (84KB, 1000x730px) Image search: [Google]
BZEKgAwCQAAXlzS.jpg
84KB, 1000x730px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous thread: >51474369

When's the last time you fought a monster from mythology, like a manticore or a chimera?
>>
File: character.jpg (56KB, 732x950px) Image search: [Google]
character.jpg
56KB, 732x950px
Repost from Last Thread,

Whats the best non-magical solution to a theft alarm on a PC's belt pouch? I'm looking for a way to entice my party's rogue into stealing my coins, but I don't want him to get away with it.
>>
>>51479489
Venomous Snake in the coin pouch.
>>
>>51479532
Thanks m8 haha
>>
File: Aladeen news.gif (3MB, 335x192px) Image search: [Google]
Aladeen news.gif
3MB, 335x192px
>>51479459
>When's the last time you fought a monster from mythology, like a manticore or a chimera?
Last session

Fucking Werewolves.

>tfw you have Lycanthropy and no one in your party can cure it
>>
>>51479538
>tfw my barbarian legit just grappled the werewolf into victory

Was odd.
>>
Moving on up with races; Njucto just about done (may alter movespeed minimum to 5 feet when occupied), but now I have a Hobgoblin refluff on display.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJOJKxsDg
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJQz5q7nve
>>
>>51479459
What animals are valid (outside of the listed ones) for the Revised Ranger's animal companion?
>>
>>51479489

Pay a wizard to cast Glyph of Warding (Explosive Runes) on a piece of paper.

Set the spell to trigger when the person holding the paper looks at the runes.

Wrap the paper around your currency in your wallet, and only ever retrieve your money with your eyes closed.
>>
>>51479576

A bugbear player of mine is playing a revised ranger, using a worg as his animal companion.

It has the CR of a brown bear and nothing too obscene besides a save vs. prone and the ability to speak goblin. So far, it's played alright.
>>
>>51479576
Depends on weather or not you can gargle one or both of your DM's balls at the same time
>>
>>51479585
Very nice haha, that sounds like a setup for a comical situation.
>>
File: Greatswords.jpg (337KB, 791x1187px) Image search: [Google]
Greatswords.jpg
337KB, 791x1187px
I'm new to the whole D&D thing, is there a setting similar to Warhammer Fantasy?
Looking over the core books I really miss my guns, daemons, beastmen, mutated norsemen, skaven and renaissance pikemen with slashed uniforms. It's all looking a little too bright and shiny for me.
>>
>>51479661
We aren't the place for you.
>>
>>51479459

A few months back we took on a pair of Hydras that were ruining shipping for this small town we wanted as allies. Of course nobody KNEW there two and we lost our boat midbattle but at least we were prepared with Water Walking before the battle started (Bless you Tomelocks)
>>
>>51479661
You could either homebrew something or use the actual Warhammer Fantasy rpg from Fantasy Flight
>>
>>51479661

Don't listen to this asshole >>51479678.

The great thing about 5e is that it's modular, and you can adapt it to any setting. Warhammer Fantasy itself would slot in nicely, with only some very minor modifications.
>>
File: Character_f2cc41_5841477.jpg (87KB, 736x1062px) Image search: [Google]
Character_f2cc41_5841477.jpg
87KB, 736x1062px
So I want to make a spooky warlock character that focuses on out of combat utility. I was thinking about forgoing eldritch blast in favor of Chill Touch and then making my invocations illusion based for extra at-will sneakiness. My groups avoid combat when they can, so making a character that is more focused on OoC abilities seems like a better fit. Do you think a warlock without eldritch blast is still able to contribute?
>>
>>51479661
Some months ago there was a /5eg/ anon that was violating Greyhawk by shoving in firearms and chaos magic into the setting. Might be what you're looking for.
>>
>>51479698
>>51479661
I run a setting of my own inspired by Warhammer among other things - everything in your list (guns, demons, beastmen, crazy vikings, ratmen, etc) was brought into my setting with very little work on my part. its easy to adapt 5e to whatever you need
>>
So I'm making some new Chainlock familiars as I write this. Which of the following is the correct option:

A) Balance them off of existing Chainlock familiars, making them exactly as useful.

or

B) Balance them off of the utility of Tome pact, giving them fringe benefits equivalent of a fluff cantrip (think Thaumaturgy)
>>
Is mage slayer worth taking?
>>
>>51479727
OoC, sure. In combat, that's like asking if your fighter who only uses a club is very useful.
>>
>>51479727
>Do you think a warlock without eldritch blast is still able to contribute?

Yes, just less.

I recommend getting EB anyway just to keep your damage progression solid. There's nothing inherently sneakier about Chill Touch than EB, anyhow.
>>
>>51479755
If your dm loves throwing spellcasters at you yes, otherwise too situational.
>>
>>51479733
Is it totally homebrew or did you do a mashup? Are you perhaps the dude >>51479729 is talking about?
>>
>>51479661
My DM constantly tries to shoehorn in wh40k shut into his game.
>you find yourselves surrounded
>pulls out huge suitcase of wh40k minis
>no these daemons aren't placeholders, you're fighting them
>resist everything but future weapons
>you guys should have thought about that
>don't you know anything about them from 40k?
>nobody at the table plays that shot
>DM kills the party
>wonders why none of us want to play his campaigns
>>
>>51479727
You'll be fine
>>
Alignment question (I hear you groan, but I gotta know to get the character approved)
Is a tyrant who believes in subjugating the world for its own good Lawful Good or Lawful Evil?
>>
>>51479808
Lawful evil.
>>
>>51479799
Your DM sounds incompetent, no offense
>>
>>51479808
Lawful Neutral :^)
>>
>>51479661
Off topic, but I've been playing Vermintide on Steam and this has been really bugging me:

Is there any adequate in-universe reason why Skaven have the best gun technology in Warhammer, with the Ratling gun? Or is the explanation just that someone really likes puns?
>>
>>51479799
Did you just misspell shit twice in one post different ways both times?
>>
>>51479808
That's pretty well the standard definition of lawful evil. If they're going on a full conquest of the world to bring order and law to it, that's lawful evil.
>>
>>51479785
I am not that dude, and for the most part it's homebrew
>>
>>51479817
>>51479843
Thanks
>>51479827
I like the outsider approach, but i'll have to go with the majority rule.
>>
Is Staff of the Woodlands a gamebreaker?

The ability to cast Awaken without components once a day seems like a bad call on the long term
>>
>>51479829
first of all skaven do not have the best gun tech, dwarf guns shit on anything a skaven can make

that being said, one of the four major skaven clans (Skyre) is dedicated to creating magical technology as their main expertise - the globardiers are also clan skyre creations, and there's tons of even crazier stuff on the tabletop that dwarfs anything in Vermintide
>>
>>51479886
A savvy DM might rule that the staff can only have one awakened plant charmed at a time, so no raising a plant army
>>
>>51479886
See DMG p. 141, it still takes the normal casting time of the spell. So it takes a while to create your Treant army.
>>
>>51479829
It's warp magic, they ain't gotta explain shit.

Clan Skryre is full of ingenious engineers that use warpstone to "improve" just about every invention the grubby man-things come up with. Firearms are no exception and warplock guns are the result of some ratman snorting a bit too much powdered warpstone and creating new inventions with liberal applications of warpstone-laden iron and regular materials.

As >>51479900 said, though, Dwarves have by far the most advanced "regular" technology in the setting. They even have flying machines operating completely without any kind of magical assistance.
>>
>>51479808
Evil - selfish reasons
Good - selfless reasons
neutral - kinda inbetween, grey area
>>
>>51479944
I've always read Neutral as "self doesn't matter in the face of the ideal."

For CN, that becomes "FREEDOM." For LN, it's "I AM THE LAW."

And TN is just wanting to sit at home, in peace, to watch some goddamn Netflix for once.
>>
>>51479944
Well, he's trying to do it because he believes the only way for the world's problems to be solved and for peace to transpire is to conquer the world and disarm them by force.
>>
>>51479622
He's pretty relaxed with what he allows, but I was mostly thinking things that follow the guideline presented in the UA.
>>
Gonna repost this idea from last thread since it got lost in the shuffle:

I want to do away with my party constantly making Perception checks to look for traps. I'm thinking of just giving each trap a Stealth score based on how well it's hidden, and making an opposed Stealth roll vs. the PC's Passive Perception when they come near it. If they are clued in to where the trap might be hidden (like a trap hidden in a statue and the party says they're examining statues), the trap gets Disadvantage.

Good Idea/Bad Idea?
>>
>>51479459
We don't have a ua this week don't we? So what do you think it will be sorcerer or mystic?
>>
>>51479861
Lawful neutral be more the guy who works for the conqueror.
>>
File: autumn-turkel-quasit-final4.jpg (120KB, 893x1156px) Image search: [Google]
autumn-turkel-quasit-final4.jpg
120KB, 893x1156px
>>51479743
Shameless bump.
>>
>>51480058
So, neutral in this instance would be someone who works for someone else's ideal but doesn't care really whether it's right or wrong?
>>
>>51480017
Cuts down on rolling without actually affecting the balance. Sounds fine.
>>
>>51479585
Glyph of Warding can't be moved.
>>
>>51480017
The traps arent sentient are they? So why should they roll dice? Better stay with the classic approach and dont overdo it with the amount of traps.
>>
>>51479987
Well then you probably have quite a few options. It might be better to browse through a list beasts and pick two or three that you like, and then worry about molding them in to the beastmaster guidelines later. If your DM has any kind of sense they'll let you tweak a stat block until it falls in line better. Don't worry about sticking to every single rule either, there are some official PHB beasts that don't meet every single UA Beastmaster recommendation.
>>
Is there a new UA today?
>>
>>51480082
"You decide what triggers the glyph when you cast the spell. For glyphs inscribed on a surface, the most typical triggers include touching or standing on the glyph, removing another object covering the glyph, approaching within a certain distance of the glyph, or manipulating the object on which the glyph is inscribed. For glyphs inscribed within an object, the most common triggers include opening that object, approaching within a certain distance of the object, or seeing or reading the glyph. Once a glyph is triggered, this spell ends."

Can't be moved on a surface. Can be moved if it's on an object. Such as paper.
>>
File: 1473238617912.jpg (1MB, 4524x3093px) Image search: [Google]
1473238617912.jpg
1MB, 4524x3093px
>>51479661 here again.
Thanks for the answers. I am mostly looking at D&D 5e because it's fucking impossible to find a group for WFRP 2e (and I like the 5e rules, for the most part).

For those that have set their games in The Old World, what were the major challenges and hurdles?

To me, it seems that one would need to use some of the variants in the dungeon master's guide (slow healing, gritty realism, lasting wounds), and any modules used would have to be re-balanced accordingly.
Some of the existing classes and archetypes would have to be refluffed or changed; Wizard archetypes perhaps molded into the different colleges.
>>
>>51479976
At that point, it could probably be neutral, but you have to ask other things like 'Does the end justify the means?' and then saying 'I'm willing to sacrifice almost everything for my ideal world' would be selfish, evil, because they refuse to take into account what everybody else wants, even if they personally want peace.

It's totally possible to have evil guys who want peace and good guys who want war conflicting in the same world.
>>
>>51480107
Nope. Wizards apparently can't shit out a couple of pages of untested homebrew a week because... I seriously don't know.
>>
>>51480134
that makes sense. lawful evil it is then.
>>
>>51480017
Don't hide the majority of your traps then.
Seriously, instead of "you're walking along and MAKE A DEX SAVE MOTHERFUCKER" it should just be "you're walking along when suddenly you notice a massive blood smear across the floor along with scattered pieces of rusted armor and broken weapons."
The party will know it's a trap but instead of "I hope I roll well" it becomes "what is it and how the fuck do we get around whatever this thing does?"
>>
>>51479808
>>51479976

Honestly depends. If the 'world' in this setting is just tribal zones of rapists and local warlords, taking over and introducing law may very well be LG. If it's people perfectly minding their own business and shit, probably LE (even if he's right).

Reminder that Cao Cao was always viewed as a bad guy for forcibly unifying China, even though he was right.
>>
>>51480123
They really didn't try very hard with this world map did they?
>>
>>51480084

Because I'm sick of my party all rolling Perception to look for traps every single time they enter a room. They treat everything like it's Tomb of Horrors, and I don't even really use traps.

They're new players, so I guess they've learned from memes that the DM is there to kill them horribly.
>>
>>51479661
Try Ravenloft.
>>
>>51480200
>that'sthejoke.png
>>
>>51480201
>sick of my party all rolling Perception

So ask for Investigation checks, like the PHB says. :^)
>>
What happened to the new UA for Sorcerers that was supposed to drop today?
>>
Anybody done a 1-on-1 campaign?

I've had one in mind for a while, and people say they can work well because you're able to tailor every situation to just that one player. Any advice or weird things to look out for?
>>
>>51480100
So you don't have a list?
>>
>>51480181

I definitely telegraph most of my traps. I don't really know why they're like this.
>>
>>51480201
Then your plan wont work. The moment their passive perception gets lower than your trap stealth roll they will start rolling for perception everytime all over again.
>>
Vermintide guy here. At the risk of turning this into WHFRP general, I've got one more question.

So it's commonly acknowledged that WHF and WH40k exist in the same universe. Since Holy Terra is obviously Earth, is there a canon explanation for why >>51480123 looks so similar to Earth?

Or is it a "just because, now shut up and stop thinking so hard about fun" sort of thing?
>>
File: let it all burn.jpg (102KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
let it all burn.jpg
102KB, 620x453px
So I was running D&D the other day and the wizard cast Fireball on a bunch of dudes. A few of them made their DEX saves, a few didn't.

But then I realized: the spell description for fireball is an immense ball of fire that expands to include the area, right? So the people rolling DEX saves aren't exactly dodging it. So the hell is it a DEX save, then?

It's really bothering me. What's worse is that I can't figure out what kind of save it ought to be, but removing the save entirely would just be ridiculous.
>>
>>51480245
Delayed for another week. were you not here at all in the last week?
>>
>>51480259
Don't make it magical realm-y because that gets very awkward very quickly.
>>
>>51480201
Make telepathic traps that trigger from attempting to perceive them. They'll stop rolling to find traps after a few mind rapes.
>>
>>51480270
A dex save is spinning your arms fast enough to tornado the fire away from yourself.
>>
>>51480261
There is no complete list.
Since it's UA it is ultimately up to DM fiat on weather or not a beast is an acceptable ranger companion.
>>
>>51480118
>if the object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken and the spell ends without being triggered.
>>
File: butter keks.jpg (138KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
butter keks.jpg
138KB, 1600x1066px
>>51480302
>>
>>51479459
>>51478579
>>51480021
>>
>>51480270
the Dex save is to dodge the explosion by taking it completely in the face as opposed to risking getting hit in the chest
>>
Allright, this time again. Shapeshifter has too many once per rest features, but otherwise I think it's pretty manageable. Would need actual playtesting to know whether it's just straight up garbage though.

I just really need some pictures, but I don't want to be a douche to artists, so I probably gotta send some pleas for it.

Changelog
>Finally got some fluff, probably just garbage text though
>Eyestalks now use a custom table, easily accessible and nerfable
>Spell motes are restored at each short rest instead of long rest, reduced the overall amount of spell motes while leveling up
>Spell Deflection has been discarded as being too specialized, instead Conduit Overcharge was added as a more general skill, that gives the archetype some very powerful flavor

I don't even know how long it has been since last update, so some more details:
>Wild Magic users have a chance to misfire now, and the misfire scales with the spell's level and causes psychic damage
>Controlled Chaos now turns one Misfire into a Wild Magic Surge. A really powerful feature if used right.

Any ideas for a cute ribbon for shapeshifters' 6th level feature?
>>
>>51480263

I'm going to ban them from making blanket Perception rolls to check a room top-to-bottom from traps. I'll tell them that from now on, I'm assuming they're going to do that with every room unless they say otherwise. That will be abstracted with the opposed roll (if the trap rolls higher than them, then they overlooked it).
>>
>>51480270
Ball o' fire that hits the ground and splashes out everywhere. Classically interpeted as dodging the splash but taking the ground flame at your feet.
>>
>>51480344
Best to ask your players what they think, because you take gameplay away from them. If they enjoy the rolling, leave it in. Otherwise you can do it like you said.
>>
>>51480357
There are far more bizarre mechanics than half damage fireball reflex saves. You're like a monkey who notices his car makes a funny sound so you decide to pull out a random cable under the hood.

Don't muck with it.
>>
>>51480123
You might want to take a look at Lamentations of the Flame Princess. It's a D&D clone set in renaissance Europe, with firearms and gritty death, and the basic rules are free. Easy to port over things to 5e.
>>
File: Zinogreload.png (988KB, 1134x948px) Image search: [Google]
Zinogreload.png
988KB, 1134x948px
Wanting to run that Monster Hunter rules conversion with a couple of people and I'm wondering how to stat out the monsters. Is the anon that made the conversion here to talk about how to do it because I'm interested in learning what their thought process on it is. I already know how I want to run carves (1d100 drop tables, roll three times and get what you roll plus a few extra rolls for the post-hunt 'the guild lets you have ___' stuff.) but statting out the monsters is proving to be a little bit of a doozy.
>>
>>51480262
It might just be old habits they learned from other DMs/games.

If you want to be a bit of a dick you can throw a false positive at them:

>Perception roll
>It's trapped, you're sure of it
>I disarm the trap
>High roll: Oh, actually it was just an intricate latch, everything is fine
>Low roll: You don't understand how this trap works, most of the mechanism seems to be well concealed
>I open it anyway
>Nothing happened, seems like it was just an intricate latch

It won't change their behavior but it might spice up an endless string of
>I check for traps
>It's a chair. Its not fucking trapped.
>>
>>51480270
Hiding behind your shield/arm/party member/medium sized rock/quickly dunking a bucket of water on yourself to put out the flames/repelling the blast through sheer force of anger/etc
>>
File: Occult.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Occult.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Thoughts on this homebrew?
>>
>>51480398
I didn't muck with it at all, so calling me a monkey is rather rude when all I've done is peeked under the hood and scratching my head. In any case, this IS a TRPG, so I don't think it's unreasonable for the GM to think of ways it could be houseruled to be better. Even if I were thinking of changing it, taking away one saving throw from one of the most essential stats in the game is hardly going to cause some kind of disaster.
>There are far more bizarre mechanics than half damage fireball reflex saves.
Such as?
>>
>>51480441
>repelling the blast through sheer force of anger
I think that's charisma. But I guess the ducking behind shields and things work.
>>
>>51480274
I was not. Life has been fucky
>>
>>51480066
Yeah. The LN guy be working for his lord and pushing his will and law. Just doing his job.
>>
>>51480343
Oh yeah, one very important change.

>Savants are now a full caster class that can't get proficiency for arcana

Why? Read the shitty fluff. It says that to them magic is something they understand so subconsciously it's in the same level as breathing. There's "nothing to understand".
>>
>>51480458

Overall feels kind of boring. There's nothing that feels particularly "occult" about this, and the abilities don't do anything to reinforce flavor.

When I think "Occult," I think blood rites, wicker men, and BEEEEEEES. This option has none of those.
>>
NEW UA WHEN

W H E N
H
E
N
>>
>>51480666
I guess that true, its more 'A Cult' Than 'Occult'
>>
>>51480507
>It says that to them magic is something they understand so subconsciously it's in the same level as breathing. There's "nothing to understand".

Sounds like a sorcerer, bro. And sorcerers can train arcana.

Like puberty, just because your body does something without you having much input, doesn't mean you don't want to know what it's up to.
>>
>>51480702
Learn to read, you autistic screecher.
>>
>>51480728

Monster stats for autistic screecher when.
>>
Are Hand Crossbows OP? If so, how?

I remember someone talking about it before but I don't recall the specifics.
>>
I've got a player that loots before anyone else.

He will swipe things. Won't share.

He's failed multiple deception checks.

Do I need to tell my players to call him on his shit in character?

Also...

This character .. in half character talks mad shit to the leader of the group. "Useless in combat" "you are a burden"

Everyone but him is a new player. Do I need to tell all of my players to call him out?

That a stealing character who insults their isn't welcome in the mercenary group?
>>
>>51480811
Make it clear to them that it's okay to call him out and challenge him, but if they don't want to there's no reason to force them to.
>>
>>51480811
Do initiative rolls on loot.

That's how my dm will sometimes handle arguments between players and actions if we're all doing different shit
It also gives everyone a good chance to talk
>>
>>51480458
Interdesting

>MotF
-No limit on the number of creatures you can mark is probably the most OP thing about this whole homebrew because it multiplies everything you can do. What might be fine in a small party of 3-5 could quickly become dangerous with a group of 5 PCs and 5 NPCs. Even just being able to mark one or (later) two creatures should be plenty.
-Being able to cast Self spells on other party members should take an action on the Wizard's part though. Otherwise the Wizard could cast Misty Step as a bonus action and the tank could take it as a reaction (for example), which would be a touch strong IMO. There may be other Self spells I haven't thought of that could potentially be too strong to give to a martial class when cast at high levels.
-Another big concern is concentration spells - if the Wizard can offload a concentration spell to several non-spellcasters then you've broken the game for sure. Concentration should probably stay with the original spellcaster unless you want to nerf the shit out of everything else.

>Sinister Zeal
-Auto-fear is too strong, it should be a save
-Also, the temp HP need to have an explicit expiry - right now it's implied that they're semi-permanent
-Are the temp HP supposed to stack? If so that might be a bit much for level 6. If your tank is any good at their job they should be taking damage every round anyways. You probably don''t want your wizard to spend five months giving your entire party +400hp either.

>Dark Bargain
Seems alright, mostly just needs spelling/grammar work

>Echos
Could be quite strong for classes that have multiple attacks. A monk ripping off 4 attacks at level 3 could stack an extra 16-20 damage if your INT mod is 4 or 5, and that's going to murder all kinds of stuff at low levels. Might be best to limit this to once per turn (not round) depending on how many creatures you can mark.

Thematically I dunno if it's very Occultish (more like a Shepard desu) but flavor is subjective.
>>
I wonder. With all this time they had are they making a rework of the sorcerer, something big are just being lazy assholes
>>
>>51480702
Sometime after the super-hand-egg game

>>51480744
MM p.23

>>51480767
RAW Crossbow expert lets you use your bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow every round, so 4 sharpshooter shots > 3 sharpshooter shots using basically anything but a blowgun
>>
>>51480402
I can't seem to find any setting information, what book is it in?
>>
Bit of a shitty question perhaps, but as someone who has only played 3.5e and may be looking to start a campaign sometime soon, what's the major benefits of 5th edition over it or pathfinder?
>>
>>51480279
Yeah, I don't have plans to put any weird shit in. Just cool interactions and monster fights.

I'm planning to have the two DMPC party members (a blaster and tank) nerfed a bit so the PC will feel stronger / more useful by comparison.
>>
>>51481011
A hell of a lot simpler if you have newbies in the group. Also, while balance issues are still very much there, it's not nearly as broken as 3.x
>>
>>51481011
it's much simpler
>>
>>51479459
Are there any guides to making your own classes in 5.0 yet? With 3.5 I pretty much know how powerful an ability will be right off the bat and how it will be broken if inclined to be. Since I've only played 5.0 for a few months now I'm not at that point yet.

I plan on making a class for an antagonist of the group but I dont want anything to be over the top and I dont want to encounter any situations where I have to change effects because at the last moment I realized how broken it was.
>>
>>51477500
>>51478234
>>51480285
Just mirroring for the original asker, since the last thread is dead.
>>
>>51481011
5e is more like older DnD. Leaves room for improvization, doesn't pile on modifiers, doesn't have pages of feats and such.

There are less options, but also less trap options.

A skill check is usually
>add the relevant attribute score modifier (Say, int for arcana)
>do you have proficiency? If so, add your proficiency mod (increases as you level up)
>do you have expertise from rogue/bard? If so, add 2x your proficiency mod instead.
>you may situationally have advantage or disadvantage, rolling two dice and either taking the better or worse depending on advantage or disadvantage.

And speaking of trap options, it's more balanced. Not perfectly balanced or 4e levels of 'everybody is the same' balance, but quite suitably balanced.

DMs should do things like give weapons that have interesting utilities rather than +2 to hit and damage. Also, a +2 is a much bigger deal, and the difference in to-hit values from a level 1 to level 20 is much less.
>>
>>51480471
I assume the dex save involves ducking down into a ball so the fire only scorches some of you rather than engulfing your whole exposed body.
>>
If get a Cleric and a Druid to cast Hallow and Plant Growth on the Winery in Curse of Strahd, do you reckon I can get anti vampire champagne flowing through Barovia?
>>
WHERE'S MUH UNEARTHED ARCANA

I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE A NEW ONE

I ALREADY WAITED ONE MORE WEEK
>>
Been working on my settings maps, and I'm trying to see if I hit every checklist of fun environments to have:

>Ye olde farm/forested not!europe
>Icy winter
>Mountain zone
>Dry desert
>Swamp
>Jungle
>Islands, generally tropical

Am I missing any?
>>
File: IMG_1195.jpg (175KB, 943x847px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1195.jpg
175KB, 943x847px
What's a good system for running a torture encounter?
My PCs found out that a bounty hunter is sniffing around town looking for one of them, so the PCs have decided to capture and "question" him. What's the best role, if any, for dice and mechanics, and if you recommend full narrative, what's a good structure for the conversation?
>>
>>51481128
>I plan on making a class for an antagonist of the group

Terrible idea. 5e isn't balanced with PvP in mind, it's primarily supposed to be a PvE game.

Make a monster of the appropriate CR for the group, and go with that. Making a class for an antagonist is way more work for way less reward.
>>
File: 0ouR8b1[1].jpg (588KB, 2500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
0ouR8b1[1].jpg
588KB, 2500x1500px
>>51481294
>>
>>51481325
This. Even if he's supposed to be an adventurer-esque person, I still just make him a monster block with legendary abilities and shit
>>
>>51481325
Well I want a class because he is going to pop up multiple times and a standard monster stat block wont cut it. Hes not the big bad more of a competing party but one that does directly get in the way. I would just give him a standard class but I want it to be unexpected since my players are more experienced in 5.0 then I am.
>>
>>51481325
What about the villainous class options in the DMG though?
>>
>>51481357
Dude, make him a monster if you're not as experienced. It's the safe choice
>>
>>51481359
Well one way to do it is make them as a PC then up their, health/ac/damage to the CR you want. But making a whole new class for it is needlessly convoluted.
>>
>>51481357
In what ways won't a traditional monster stat block cut it?

Monsters can be literally anything, and are far more balanced for the types of encounters you'll be making than a homebrew player class tied to an NPC created by someone self-admittedly inexperienced in 5e.

>>51481359
Those are specifically for villainous players.
>>
>>51481357
Dude, no. Look at the way bad guys for official adventures are designed - Strahd or Ymrith, for example. None of them use PC classes, for a good reason.
>>
>>51481346
I can't help but like this map
Would totally play a game in Clichea
>>
>>51481414
>Those are specifically for villainous players.
It's under the "creating non-player characters" section.
>>
>>51481420
i know. The Reach and Dragon Tail Islands are pretty tempting.
>>
>>51481419
>>51481368
Ok then is there a guide for creating ability's? and what DC ranges are appropriate for different CR's?
>>
>>51479799
I once had a monk player take down Cato Sicarius in a wrestling match in order to win Yarrick's hat in order to win the approval of the Yakuza in order to defeat their rivals in order to get them into the party's army gearing up to fight Daimyo Vader.

It was a fun campaign while it lasted.
>>
>>51481427
>Class Options. In addition to the class options in the Player's Handbook, two additional class options are available for evil player characters and NPCs: the Death domain for clerics and the oathbreaker for paladins. Both options are detailed at the end of this chapter.

That section is specifically referring to NPCs that travel with the party. It's the same as having the DM bot another character.

The section is not about making NPCs for your characters to fight. That's covered elsewhere.
>>
>>51481446

Page 273, Dungeon Master's Guide.

When in doubt, read a book and check the index.
>>
>>51481475
>That's covered elsewhere.
Like the Villains section. Which covers Villainous Class Options.
>>
>>51481475
>>51481532
And even then the section you're quoting also mentions calculating an NPC's challenge rating.

I don't know about balance but the game is absolutely designed with the idea of pitting characters with levels against each other.
>>
>>51480857
-Didn't think about the limit, I assumed only the party would be with the wizard on a long rest, I'll look into that
-The self spells were more for burning hands, perhaps I should state self spells that damage?
-Concentration would still be held by the wizard, ill note that down

-Good point, I might change that up though if it would bog things down with saves
-Temp HP has its own rules in the game, it explicitly can never stack

-Once per turn is a good idea

-I'm working on the themeing, it isn't very occult

Thanks for the feedback, always nice to have an extra pair of eyes when doing some homebrew
>>
>>51481532

Read with your eyeballs, motherfucker: >>51481514
>>
File: Eva does half a Dreamworks face.jpg (25KB, 912x496px) Image search: [Google]
Eva does half a Dreamworks face.jpg
25KB, 912x496px
>>51481578

Yes, challenge rating for if you decide to use a monster statblock to represent an NPC that travels with the party. Like the section says.

There's only so much reading I'm prepared to do for other people.
>>
File: 1413772756498.jpg (465KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1413772756498.jpg
465KB, 2448x3264px
>>51481632
>>
>>51481595
Whatchu trynna say nigga
>>
>>51481128
There are tons of NPC stat blocks in the MM and VGtM

Adding spellcasting or a few class features can make a big difference too
>>
>>51480404
Not him, but I know I saw Rathian stats somewhere in the homebrew folder. Definitely interested in the conversion, though.
>>
Just found out the next book is a bunch of dungeons from the olden times retooled to fifth edition.

Anybody ever play these dungeons before?
Against the Giants
Dead in Thay
Forge of Fury
Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Sunless Citadel
Tomb of Horrors
White Plume Mountain
>>
>>51481755
Fury and Plume I have.
>>
>>51481632
You should try starting to read for yourself first. That section is not about "NPCs that travel with the party". It's about NPCs. In general. Which includes NPCs that may oppose the player. That is the reason they might need a challenge rating. To determine the challenge to the players. It's under the section for using classes and levels, right AFTER the part about using a monster stat block (which includes a CR already). If they were on the party's side they wouldn't need a CR, you'd just group them together with the PCs.
>>
>>51481772

Any good?

The description seems to suggest they were going after the tougher adventures from back in the closet.
>>
File: MH 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
MH 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51481709
I have the rules conversion at bare minimum, maybe I'm just blind and I'm missing where to stat monsters at.
>>
>>51481755

Plume is pretty legit. It's a sci-fi dungeon that takes place in a crashed spaceship, only none of you medieval yokel adventurer types know what a spaceship is so you're just blundering through the thing.

What's interesting is that it's also a dungeon without a true, definite end. It's somewhere you go and grab all the overpowered shit and jetpacks you can before the on-board robots throw you out.
>>
File: 1356515887803.gif (469KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
1356515887803.gif
469KB, 500x307px
>>51480402
>You might want to take a look at Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

>google this
>find official site
>top post
>9.01.2017: Donate, Get a Book LotFP is offering a free book to anyone who donates US$50 or more to the ACLU.
>>
File: free ice cream inside.jpg (126KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
free ice cream inside.jpg
126KB, 640x467px
>>51481755
I fucked with Tomb of Horrors briefly in High School. We all died a lot, made a stupid party out of it with chips and revolving players that swapped in whenever somebody died. I don't remember much except for pic related.
>>
>>51481864
nicely blogged, my friend
>>
>>51480404
Dunno how balanced they are, but I found these a while ago.
http://imgur.com/a/qDzJ1
>>
>>51481792
>It's about NPCs. In general. Which includes NPCs that may oppose the player.

Alright. So what's the Making-A-Monster section for, then?

>If they were on the party's side they wouldn't need a CR, you'd just group them together with the PCs.

Just straight up incorrect. CR exists for every non-player creature as a way to gauge their power. You'll notice familiars have CR, as do ranger companions, summoned minions, and similar.

CR is a quantity that some spells and abilities operate off of. Every creature needs either a CR or a level, or a handful of mechanics won't work.
>>
>>51480285
hey man, thank you for the long reply! Pardon I took so long to say thanks
Since I didn't think of this till now, how do you suppose I work this out with my dm?
He is a fairly basic dm relying on the 5e book solely
>>
File: 1365375448549.jpg (27KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
1365375448549.jpg
27KB, 345x395px
>>51481755
Free conversions already exist for all these adventures.

I wonder what wotc are going to be adding to make it worth money.
>>
>>51481919
Balance and quality, probably.

Those fiends.
>>
>>51481845
Nah, that's expedition to the barrier peaks. Plume is the one with the puzzles and artifact weapons.
>>
File: 1345352284440.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1345352284440.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>51481927
>>
>>51481904
These aren't bad for a headstart, though the HP pool seems a little high all around. A little tweaking wouldn't hurt, though. Or maybe just start all MH characters at a reasonable level for it.
>>
>>51481906
>So what's the Making-A-Monster section for, then?
Making monsters.

>You'll notice familiars have CR, as do ranger companions, summoned minions, and similar.
Which are all taken from the Monster Manual as potential threats for players to face. Referring to them by their challenge rating is an easy way of categorising them by relative strength but it's still a rating that measures the challenge to the players.

>Every creature needs either a CR or a level
Or, in the case of an NPC with character levels intended to go up against the party, both.
>>
>>51481943
Aaaaah. You're correct.

Well, now I'm significantly less interested in Yawning Portal.
>>
File: cool, dawg.jpg (37KB, 775x775px) Image search: [Google]
cool, dawg.jpg
37KB, 775x775px
Alright guys:

What spells can be cast using only a reaction? No preparing spells bullshit
>>
What should I during the round that I use Hypnotic Gaze to lock down a threat?

Are there any good spell that only use my bonus action to direct or require no action from me? (ie. Flaming Sphere, Melf's Minute Meteor)
>>
>>51481755
Against the Giants is basically just a bunch of monster-hotels where the players go from room to room squashing ogres and giants of increasing size.
Tomb of Horrors is a tournament module specifically made to not be beaten.

Know nothing about the others. A bit disappointed there's no Keep on the Borderlands, Against the Cult of the Reptile God, Treasure Hunt, The Village of Hommlet or Descent into the Depths of the Earth/Vault of the Drow. The last one in particular would have been more interesting than Against the Giants, which is the module set before Descent.
>>
>>51481970
The HP is probably meant to drag the fights out and make them a bigger resource drain. It's implied in the MH games (by how quickly hunger accrues) that some fights go on for so long you eventually need to eat during them just to keep your energy up.

In contrast, it's rare for 5e fights to last more than 1 in-game minute.
>>
>>51480404
>>51481837
I was the guy who made that supplement.

I didn't bother with a monster manual or statting any monsters. Might be a little counterproductive to not include monsters but 1) that's a lot of shit to stat 2) refluffing and modifying existing monsters is pretty simple

I had tried to make a dedicated MH system but ran into big troubles with statting monsters and I'm a bit hesitant to try it again, but I could try to do a few sample monsters if you really wanted. I'm serious about reskinning what's there, adding on the proper abilities, and just adjusting on the fly though. It works
>>
>>51482026
Bring up spell list and ctr-f Reaction
>>
File: 1387099830733.gif (611KB, 464x281px) Image search: [Google]
1387099830733.gif
611KB, 464x281px
>First game together as a group
>The DM is new
>3 of the players trying to play special races, Volo's is referenced
>Only want to use UA archetypes because "it's official material"
>Get salty when I suggest we just stick to the basic PHB
>Just want to be a fun adventuring group of variant humans
>>
>>51481989
>Making monsters.

Everything that's not a player falls under that umbrella, from bullettes to vampires to noblemen.

The section about NPCs is there to generate companion characters. That's the distinction they're making.

>Referring to them by their challenge rating is an easy way of categorising them by relative strength but it's still a rating that measures the challenge to the players.

Yeah, because anything NOT A PLAYER gets a challenge rating. Including companion NPCs, if you choose to not make them the way you would a player.

Just because something has a CR doesn't mean it's there for the players to kill. CR is a metric based on approximate party strength, and that's it.

>Or, in the case of an NPC with character levels intended to go up against the party, both.

No. It's either/or. Having both levels and CR would serve no purpose other than to break the mechanics CR is there to preserve.

You can't apply class levels to something that has a monster statblock. 5e doesn't work the way 3.5 did on that score.

And before you just ignore a chunk of written material to tell me that's what the NPC section is about, no, it isn't. The bit about making NPCs with class levels involves rolling them the way you would a player, as the section states, not applying class levels to monster stats.
>>
>>51482026
Absorb elements, feather fall, hellish rebuke, shield, and counterspell.

I'm honestly surprised there are so few.
>>
>>51482079
Just a couple basics would be enough to give me a good idea. Or at least a thought process behind statting them out would be enough. Like 'how to make your own monster stats' cause I have no clue what'd be a solid bit of health or how to scale for HR and G-Rank stuff.
>>
File: Copper_dragon_-_Chris_Seaman.jpg (179KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
Copper_dragon_-_Chris_Seaman.jpg
179KB, 640x467px
What would be good presents to get from a Copper Dragon, /5eg/?
>>
>>51482148
Fantastic, thank you!
I tried doing what >>51482095 said but it wouldn't work for some reason
>>
>>51482166

Their hand in marriage.
>>
>>51482166
Instruments of the bards?
>>
>>51482192
Thats something only someone who was a True friend of Dragons and had done that particular dragon a huge favor would get, ever, good present but not really practical.
>>
>>51482129
>The section about NPCs is there to generate companion characters. That's the distinction they're making.
No, it's not. In fact, the sub-heading "NPC Party Members" follows right after it. The section as a whole is about making interesting characters, be they allies or villains.

> Including companion NPCs, if you choose to not make them the way you would a player.
Or, if you do. It's literally under "using classes and levels," p. 92.

>Having both levels and CR would serve no purpose other than to break the mechanics CR is there to preserve.
It would serve the purpose of determining how challenging the character you made is to the players.

>You can't apply class levels to something that has a monster statblock
That's why those options are presented separately.
>>
>>51482166
50,000 gp.

Entirely in copper.
>>
File: crawlingClaw[1].jpg (85KB, 626x788px) Image search: [Google]
crawlingClaw[1].jpg
85KB, 626x788px
>>51482192
>Their hand in marriage.
>>
>>51482248
>it hands you a knife
>"Now yours."
>>
So how stupid of a build would this be? Dont have stats yet because this is for a game that isnt happening yet, (we roll for stats.)
The goal is to be an alternative type of tank. Main points are arcane ward, the tempest's reaction to being hit, patient defense and lots of temp hp. I could also max dmg a few lighting bolts too.
>>
>>51479829
Mainly it's because they don't believe in either restraining their inventors or in the sanctity of life.

Basically, dwarfs in Warhammer are highly conservative, so even when engineers do get the initiative to try and invent something new, it can take decades before they're actually allowed to build it.

And humans want to minimize risk to themselves and their fellows with their gear, so they don't oppose innovation, but they slow things down whilst they try to get the ideas safe and reliable as possible.

Skaven? Don't do none of that shit. Any Warlock Engineer will happily throw any and all shit that pops into their head at the wall to see what sticks, and if it kills hundreds of other skaven in the process, no big deal.

That explain things?
>>
Need some crafting materials for:

Poison Resistance potion
Potion of Poison

Thinking a toxic flower of some kind, is there a crafting list somewhere?
>>
>>51482421
Dunno about ingredients to make them, but the DMG has a shitton of different types of poison effects. You could probably take inspiration from those.
>>
>>51482421

This seems like what you're looking for.
>>
>>51482421
Use those one could use in real life. Do some research on poisonous plants/venomous animals.
>>
File: velocidrome.jpg (81KB, 436x706px) Image search: [Google]
velocidrome.jpg
81KB, 436x706px
>>51482163
Not perfect, but here's a Velocidrome.

It's essentially a beefed up Velociraptor with the ability to call its pack into combat and a little bit of a climb speed. Hell, for Velociprey in particular, you don't even need to alter anything from the base velociraptor stat block.

You wouldn't have to change the stat block a bit to accommodate for Great Jaggi and its Jaggi pack. If you wanted Gendrome, Iodrome, Great Wroggi, Great Baggi, you'd just take this same stat block and add a ranged attack that inflicts paralysis/poison/incapacitates on a failed Con save. Pretty easy
>>
Any advice for running Phandelver for a bunch of normies?
>>
>>51481755
>Tomb of Horrors
Meme campaign made explicitly to murder PCs. It's fun in the same sense that Russian roulette is fun, which is to say - not at all.

Most fun I ever had in ToH was converting it to a different system where you tromp around as literal demigods. We wrecked that place and it was hilarious.
>>
File: Oil Up Huntah.jpg (1MB, 2667x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Oil Up Huntah.jpg
1MB, 2667x1500px
>>51482581
Thanks man. Between this and the other one, now I can go tell my buds it's time to oil up
>>
File: time to kill.png (502KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
time to kill.png
502KB, 720x715px
>play lawful good
>your group is a bunch of murderhobos that will kill anyone that rubs them the wrong way
I'm gonna kill all these motherfuckers
>>
>Revised Ranger
>7th level
>Hunter can get adv. on saving throws vs. Frightened (which is pretty much always a WIS save)
>Stalker gets proficiency on all WIS saves

How did anyone look at this shit and go "ayup, this seems internally balanced"?
>>
>>51481318

Skill challenge?
>>
>>51479839

>mobile
>>
File: Sumo 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Sumo 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Thoughts on this homebrew class.
>>
File: 1423429298355.png (274KB, 660x500px) Image search: [Google]
1423429298355.png
274KB, 660x500px
>>51482119
>stop having fun guys
>implying UA isn't official material
>a group of all variant humans
I hope people only play Tabaxi, Kenku and Dragonborn in your games. You sound like the most insufferable kind of autist.
>>
>>51483026
What is the problem exactly?
>>
File: 1469274130537.jpg (90KB, 750x749px) Image search: [Google]
1469274130537.jpg
90KB, 750x749px
>>51482861
The other supplement has good carving mechanics. I honestly considered copy and pasting it into mine but that kind of felt like it'd leave a bad rep with the other supplement's writer.

I'm just not a fan of how big the static bonuses in his supplement get and the rate you get those bonuses so I focused a lot on moderating gear progression. I also felt an entire homebrew class was a bit much for something 5e's class structure doesn't really need to cover.

Just use my mechanics with his carving tables and you'd be golden.
>>
>>51482353
Didnt attach

Leveling guide<br>
Tempest Cleric: 2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1 - 2<br>
Abjuration Wizard:2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3 - 4<br>
Long death Monk: 3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5 - 7<br>
Abjuration Wizard: 3-5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 8 - 10<br>
Tempest Cleric: 3+&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 10 - 20<br>
<br>
Feats<br>
HAM: lvl 1(v human)<br>
Magic Intiate:warlock: for armor of agathys 2 cantrips (lvl 4 wiz)
>>
>>51483126
>proficiency in chef's tools
pfff
>>
>>51483152
Oh I don't know, maybe because one of them only applies to a fringe case while the other is incredibly helpful since it applies to one of the most common saves?
Not to mention that without proficiency in the save, having advantage doesn't scale.
>>
File: what.png (376KB, 900x702px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
376KB, 900x702px
>playing casual evening "campaign" with some buddies
>somebody makes a character based on Macho Man Randy Savage
>his entire motivation as a character is to defeat Hulk Hogan
>I'm playing a chaotic neutral sorcerer
>everyone is starting to get tipsy
>Randy Savage starts ranting about Hulk Hogan
>decide to have my character convince him that Hulk Hogan is a myth
>roll a nat 20
>effectively just destroyed the character on a whim
>DM decides to make it inflict indefinite madness and rolls for effect
>get the jackpot
>Randy Savage now thinks he's Hulk Hogan
>eventually we meet the actual Hulk Hogan who Randy Savage challenges to a duel since he believes he's an imposter
>getting fairly drunk at this point
>have my character convince Randy Savage that the real Hulk Hogan is the real Hulk Hogan
>get another nat 20
>more indefinite madness
>Randy Savage still believes he's Hulk Hogan, but also thinks the real Hulk Hogan is Hulk Hogan and is now completely determined to defeat Hulk Hogan at all costs
>starts combining quotes from Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage
>manages to beat Hulk Hogan by charging him and knocking him off a cliff
>both of them die
>DM ends the campaign there
>>
>>51483126
You remade the Monk so you could make your own subclass?

Also,
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>>
>>51483162
Im so sorry

2 levels of tempest cleric
5 levels in abj wiz
3 lvls long death monk
Rest into cleric

Start v human for HAM
Then take tough &or magic iniate for armor of agythys
>>
>>51483050
Which skills?
>>
>>51483187
Isn't advantage better than proficiency though?
>>
>>51483193
Congratulation on winning at D&D you lucky bastard
>>
>>51483194
>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
Oh, neat, this actually looks really good. Thanks Anon, I'll get to work right away.
>>
>>51483187
This seems like a really minor thing to get upset about though.
>>
>>51483126

Make it a monk subclass.

Keep in mind, classes in 5e exist for entirely new concepts. If something is thematically similar to something else (like the Arcane Trickster and the rogue), it becomes a subclass of the thing it's similar to.
>>
File: Kek3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kek3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51483224
It's a great tool :^)
>>
>>51483026
>UA material is overpowered
Who would have thought?
>>
File: frighteninglybad.png (152KB, 425x166px) Image search: [Google]
frighteninglybad.png
152KB, 425x166px
>>51483202
Advantage is roughly equal to +5, which means that by the time your proficiency bonus is +5 the Stalker is just as good as the Hunter at resisting Frightened while also blowing the Hunter the fuck out at not getting hit by a Hold Person or similar save or suck.
Also, Frightened is an effect usually reserved for large boss-tier monsters, where resisting the effect even once grants immunity to it. Pic related.

>>51483232
It's upsetting because it shows that they just shoved the PHB Hunter into the Revised Ranger, only added Extra Attack at level 5 and then made the Deep Stalker which completely eclipses it. As someone who wanted to play a Revised Ranger without a pet bear it's incredibly annoying, because I feel like picking the trap option if I don't want to be some kind of underdark mary sue faggot.
>>
>>51482353
> roll for stats
You're already stupid

> patient defense
What are you doing with only 3 Ki point?

> Lots of temp hp
those are only scale up to Wizard / Monk level and doesn't stack
>>
>>51483202
It's difficult to say. Advantage on a low modifier doesn't do a lot on average, but makes it easier to get the roll naturally or your fabled 20. If you get it on a high modifier it's going to be a lot more consistent. Generally speaking proficiency fixes your odds while advantage only has a chance of changing them, so if given the option proficiency is going to be better in many cases. If you were proficient in wisdom already that fear thing would actually be pretty good, but the main problem is that you aren't. While anon has a point, particularly the fact the halflings get that hunter feature for free, you can just pick one of the other options and accept that wotc has no clue what they're doing with ranger.
>>
>>51483297
I hope you realize that only char-oping faggots are against rolling for stats.
>>
How useful are mounts in 5e? I'm about to lvl my pally here pretty soon and Find Steed seems pretty interesting to me, but I also have a niggling concern that it might be a trap.
>>
>>51483296
>>51483306
Oh.

Wait does this mean someone should homebrew a revised-revised Ranger now? o_O
>>
>>51483241
I was thinking that at the start but I felt some of the core abilities of the Monk didn't fit the Aesthetic I was going for with the Sumo, such as Unarmored movement, and surviving without food. It was more trying to capture an idea separate from the monk but is still very similar.
>>
>>51483296
>>51483202
It's actually around +3 mathematically. I don't know why WotC go with "+5 on passive check if you have advantage!".
>>
>>51483325
What's the rest of your party going to ride?
>>
>>51483331
So it's already outclassed at level 7 when the feature is granted. Jesus Christ what are the morons at WotC doing.
>>
File: bs7LK2m.png (794KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bs7LK2m.png
794KB, 1280x720px
>>51479538
>>51479549
Are you my group? Did the wild hunt end in a maternity ward?

Because that is how the werewolf, wolfweres, and jackleweres cornered the pcs at the end of my last session.

Someone caught lycanthropy and the dwarf barbarian hugged stuff to death.
>>
>>51483323
No. Char-oping faggot are all for rolling stats. So they can get their UBER CHARACTER THAT START WITH 20 STAT AT LEVEL 1!!! LOL!!!!!

And don't forget the fact that everyone just "happen" to roll multiple 18s or 17s at home XDXDXD

People who care about balance and fun game are against them. Monsters balance are design around standard array.
>>
>>51483354
>tfw horribly paranoid about my players reading the general so I never dare post anything about the campaign for fear of spoilers
>>
>>51483325
1)Mounts are pretty cool, essentially boosting your movespeed and giving you a free disengage, dash or dodge every turn.
2)You're a fucking paladin, swap out your spells at the beginning of the day if you don't like it.
>>51483341
You say this as if a mount can't go slower than a gallop.
>>
>>51483329
Well the deep stalker archetype is playtest material, so it would have to be revised before it was made "official".
Also >o_O
>>
>>51483358
>roll multiple 18s or 17s at home XDXDXD

Those are called moronic 12 year olds. Do yourself a favor and only play with people who are legally allowed to drink alcohol.
>>
I like the idea of UA but why doesn't Wizards release more proper supplements? A lot of this shit has been sitting in playtesting for ages now. Did they ever make an official statement about their release schedule?
>>
>>51483329
Revised ranger as a whole is fine, the only real problems are they've thrown a lot of power on the first couple levels and completely refuse to change hunter ranger in spite of how awkwardly mismatched it's abilities are in terms of power both between the subclass itself and other classes ("evasion at level 15" never fails to make the rogue laugh). So long as your players agree not to abuse multiclassing and aren't prone to falling into WotC's design pitfalls it's fine to use.
>>
>>51483354
It's funny actually, because in my group (I'm >>51479538
btw) our Paladin grappled a werewolf and threw him in front of a lightning trap. It killed the werewolf but the Pally also ended up eating shit the next turn and had to be rescued by someone else
>>
>>51482035

If you can steal Healing Word, maybe?
>>
>>51483358
Every char-op build is centered around the assumption that a standard array is used; your argument is thus invalid.
>>
>>51483368
>2)You're a fucking paladin, swap out your spells at the beginning of the day if you don't like it.
I thought that was cleric's deal?
Fuck, I can never keep track of how different classes deal with their spells. It's a good thing I'm not a player.
>>
>>51482192

Hahaha....not just yet.

>>51482207

Hmm, something to be said for this.

>>51482228

Oh, if the party were high level enough!
>>
>>51483397
Standard array is so boring though. It's literally the participation award of D&D
>>
So apparently my DM wants to nerf polearm master and take away its feature to attack the moment when someone enters your range. Thoughts?
>>
>>51483397
Actually char-op are centered around 27-point buy. Your argument (and wrong opinion) is invalid.
>>
>>51483451
I was including them under the same banner of "boring shit that morons use".
>>
File: Paladin spell casting.png (453KB, 358x514px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin spell casting.png
453KB, 358x514px
>>51483407
You have to know all the class features as a GM though so that you can balance encounters.
>>
>>51483447
It is prone to abuse with sentinel, I guess.

Could always tweak it so that if a creature moves into range and attacks you (and only you), the player gets a reaction-free counter-attack immediately before the attack (and after the move). To simulate taking a charge with a polearm or whatever.

I'd just be afraid that removing that trait will make the feat entirely unappealing.
>>
>>51483447
Tell him he's a shit and if he doesn't want it in the game then he should just not let you guys take it. That trait is the entire reason the feat is good.
>>
>>51483465
I bet you will complain that no one use awesome vampire kitsune race that your put up on danddwiki in char-op build too.
>>
Obligatory reading for anyone complaining about rolling for stats:

http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/stat_generation.htm
>>
>>51483500
Half the reason. The bonus 1d4 bonking comes up more in my games, because everyone has some kind of ranged back up and learns.
>>
>>51483513
Old 3.5 tard who can't adapt to the new superior way confirmed.
>>
File: ur a faget.png (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ur a faget.png
16KB, 400x300px
>>51483501
Are we just spouting gibberish insults now? Two can play at that game.
>>
>>51483513
Christ, is there an abridged version somewhere?
>>
Hey lads im new to RPGs and I played a game of 5e with my mates last night. I was wondering what's the best way to build a fighter who uses bows and arrows?
>>
>not rolling 3d6 straight down no reassigns

Peasants.
>>
>>51483558
Use the organic rolling method.

>4d6d1
>arrange in order
>reroll one score of your choice
>if stats are utter shit, start from the top
>swap any two scores (and only two)
>>
>>51483544
Mong who doesn't know that NPCs were balanced around standard array (or "elite array") in 3.5 confirmed.
>>
File: 1474871089137.gif (1MB, 296x160px) Image search: [Google]
1474871089137.gif
1MB, 296x160px
>>51483127
I've come to the conclusion that the only people that want to play "unique and cool" characters are the ones who are themselves boring.

It's all part of their RP fantasies.

Seems to be the people who are actually interesting irl that are happy with basic races.
>>
>>51483578
The absolute best way?

Variant human, take Sharpshooter feat, archery fighting style, and go Battle Master at 3rd level. Be sure to pick up Precision Strike maneuver.
>>
File: 1393803497835.jpg (85KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1393803497835.jpg
85KB, 300x334px
>>51483193
Stop right there faggot.

>Nat 20s mean anything on ability checks
>You can persuade PCs

You didn't think I would catch your blatant lies and shitposting but I did you piece of human excrement.
>>
>>51483630
Cheers lad
>>
>>51483422
>participation award of D&D
wat
Seriously though are you retarded, it's just a spread for quick use, it's also what half the people that do point buy end up with
>>
>>51483588
Cool.

Personally I want to try the 6x6 Matrix method, with the caveat that the entire party has to derive their characters from the same Matrix (without using the same scores in the same order). Between making the party contribute to most or all of the numbers (DM rolls remainder) and forcing the party to negotiate on roles and strategies before pencil ever touches paper, I think it could do good things for group cohesion.
>>
>>51483549
You doesn't seem to get it.

The reason why people use point-buy to discuss character build is the same reason why people never brought up homebrew race.

1) it's the way the game is designed for. Most DM use pre-made adventure, not a homebrew world. So they don't want to mess up the game balance. Keeping player in line with the monster CR mean less workload for the DM, who could be spending his time doing something else that improve player experience (or do some RL stuff like a normal human being). Rolling for stats is plain insulting at DM human-right.

2) Most people play in AL organized play which only allow standard array or point-buy. That mean most of the people on the internet will follow those rule. Literally no one care about you stat roller.

3) There are too many variant of rolling stats and homebrew, it would be detrimental to the build discussion when some guy barge in and shout "WHY DON'T YOU GRAB X AND Y FEATS IF YOU START WITH 20 IN STR!!"

4) Rolling for stats is stupid, since you can get a non functional character. A character with 3 CHA has less self awareness than animals. A character with 4 CON shouldn't even leave his house, let alone venturing into a dangerous place (and if you aren't rolling stat in order, you are just a min-max faggot, who can't use "MUH VARIETY" as argument anymore)

It's also not helping that most stat roller are cheater. How many time do you see 18 as oppose to 3?
>>
>>51483739
>How many time do you see 18 as oppose to 3?
To be fair, most people use 4d6d1 which means an 18 is far more likely than a 3.
>>
>>51483407
Druids too. They can access their entire list, but take a long rest to swap out.
>>
>>51483739
>Rolling for stats is plain insulting at DM human-right.
I, as in the fucking DM, encourage rolling for stats (organic) when it comes to character creation because otherwise the PCs will invariably be carbon copies of whatever is min-maxed for their class.

>Most people play in AL
We don't call those "people" around here.

>Too many variants
This has been your only good argument so far, and I agree with it. However as a counterpoint, every character that has a stat high enough that they could grab a feat is encouraged (in my games) to pick a feat that helps flesh out their character instead of pumping their fucking DPR (you could also ban Sharpshooter/PAM/GWM).

>you can get a non functional character
Not with a proper rolling method.

>most stat roller are cheater
We have been over this before, stop playing with 12 year olds.
>>
>>51483647
>DM has no discretion
we were drunk and it was hilarious so he ran with it
>>
>>51483739
>4) Rolling for stats is stupid, since you can get a non functional character. A character with 3 CHA has less self awareness than animals. A character with 4 CON shouldn't even leave his house, let alone venturing into a dangerous place (and if you aren't rolling stat in order, you are just a min-max faggot, who can't use "MUH VARIETY" as argument anymore)
> A character with 4 CON shouldn't even leave his house
>Fuckin Raistlin shouldn't have leave his house

You're just to limited to understand the infinite possibility role playing offer
>>
>>51483629

Then DM a game for those people and those people only and stop trying to force your group to play the way you want.
>>
>>51483837
I'm not opposed to stat rolls but I always hated the "Point buy results in static characters" style of argument. It reminds me uncomfortably of the Stormwind Fallacy and it feels to me like it implies stat rolls as a roleplaying crutch which doesn't do favours to anyone.

People who would use point buy strictly to min-max fall under the same category as 12-year olds who'd only roll to fish for 18s, it just makes a large sweeping assumption about the playerbase. People're still going to try and optimize rolled characters within reason, but in the same vein as assuming bought PCs will be carbon copies of their class, rolled PCs often end up being Chinese knock-off brands of their class.

I really don't care much about how stats are derived but arguments on both sides based around assumptions about the player-side always sound stupid.
>>
How retarded would this be for a Warlock pact?

Pact of Blood:
Your patron infuses your blood with eldritch power, allowing you to use it as fuel for your spells.

You can cast spells using your hit die instead of your spell slots. When you do so, spend a number of hit die equal to the spells level. You take damage equal to the number of hit die spent.
>>
>>51479743

Balance off existing. You don't want yours to be the go to choice. Cause if they are? They are OP.
>>
>>51483998

Very bad idea. Tampering with hit dice decreases the potential duration of your adventuring day.

There's a reason abilities don't mess with hit dice, aside from anecdotal stuff like Song of Rest.
>>
>>51479576
My DM let me have a deinonychus. Without multi attack, it's panther in most respects.

In another game I'm running, I let my ranger have access to a blink dog and pterosaur options due to setting related stuff
>>
>>51483998
Casting from hit dice is interesting. Would they still be bound by the "always cast at the highest possible spell level" thing? At 10 that would give them two extra 5th-level casts, but not something like five 2nd-level casts.
>>
>>51483969
The point (heh) with not using point buy is that you can end up with stats in places where you wouldn't necessarily put them.
You don't get to pick and chose the exact imperfections that create an interesting character, making it more likely that they will grow on you.

And frankly I don't give two shits about the stormwind fallacy; anyone who is not there to primarily roleplay is not going to be invited to the next session, optimization or not. Though I will always maintain that proper combat tactics and planning will enable almost any seemingly unoptimized party to succeed.

At the end of the day I would prefer to roll for everything to create my characters, from gender to race to class to background to archetype; being forced out of your comfort zone is an incredible way to broaden your repertoire.
>>
>>51483588
>>arrange in order
I don't get why people are such strong proponents of this. If you want a random idea for a character concept it works great, but if you want to play a specific class this can very easily ruin your potential class.
>Want to be a barbarian
12 str
9 dex
14 con
15 int
17 wis
11 cha
>Barbarian is useless as an actual barbarian

>Want to be a wizard
18 str
7 dex
11 con
10 int
14 wis
16 cha
>Wizard is a shitty wizard with average hp for a wizard and horrible AC

I mean if you are just trying to find a character concept, rolling in order is great, but if you have a pre-thought out concept that you want to try rolling in order has a fairly good chance of killing that concept.
>>
>>51484272
>12 str
>9 dex
>14 con
>15 int
>17 wis
>11 cha
Swap WIS/STR.

>18 str
>7 dex
>11 con
>10 int
>14 wis
>16 cha
Swap STR/INT

Or were you unable to read the "swap any two" line? Because here it is again, in case you missed it:
>4d6d1
>arrange in order
>reroll one score of your choice
>if stats are utter shit, start from the top
>swap any two scores (and only two)
>swap any two scores
>swap any two
>swap
>any
>two
>>
>>51483194
>>51483126
>>51483241

Ok, I did some fiddling and its done
>>
>>51484340

I still don't get why it's not a monk subclass when half the features are monk features.

Also, "Way of the Peacmaker" should have an E in there.
>>
>>51484185
Again, I don't have a problem with rolling, I understand where it's good, my problem is that the argument against point buy here is inherently flawed and built under several unfounded assumptions.

There's no reason that a flaw arbitrarily derived from rolling would be better or worse than the concious decision to dump WIS on your Monk and play him as a hot-headed kung fu guy. There's no reason that a mismatched party rolled up and thrown together is going to be better or worse than a party that might've been constructed with efficiency and character dynamics in mind. Being out of your comfort zone might broaden your range, but everyone playing comfortable archetypes might create more space for focus on character interaction instead of personal development.

Arguments between point buy and rolling tend to focus far too much on the roleplaying aspect when it should be 100% irrelevant to the discussion, because the competence and quality of roleplay is always strictly in a vacuum.
>>
>tfw the only wizards I ever see are conjurers, evokers and necromancers
Why don't the other specializations get more love?
>>
>>51484412
Sounds like you don't want stats in your RPG at all. Try something freeform, perhaps.
>>
>>51484440
How in the fuck did you read that of all things out of my post.
>>
>>51484466
You stated that stats had no bearing on roleplaying in a roleplaying game. Thus you would be better suited to something that doesn't have stats at all.
>>
>>51484415
Because DM's fuck over illusion, divination, and enchantment because they hate their narrative being broken while abjuration and transmutation simply aren't that fun on their own and really don't show off how powerful they are while the others do.
>>
>>51484415
Abjuration and divination are also amazing. Illusion is also fun.

No idea why anyone would ever go transmutation, though.
>>
>>51484415
>Conjurer
Conjuration is just really good. You can conjure weapons, teleport, and at level 10 you don't have to worry about your conjured elemental turning on you.
>Evokers
General quality of life improvements to cantrip users.
>Necromancers
Skeletons are cool.
>>
>>51484484
I am actually personally upset at how stupid you are and how poor your reading is, like, holy shit, I feel like an autist right now for giving a fuck but you are so stupid that I hope they castrate you at your next check up in a pointless effort to keep the education system afloat.
>>
>>51481993
Barrier Peaks was honestly the most fun I'd ever had in D&D. I really wish I could find a good version for 5e.
>>
>>51484572
The writer states that stats are "100% irrelevant to the discussion, because the competence and quality of roleplay is always strictly in a vacuum".
They thus assert that, to them, stats are irrelevant to roleplaying.
As the subject is a roleplaying game, it can then be safely assumed that the writer (having acknowledged that he does not think that stats should impact roleplaying) would be better served playing (and roleplaying) in a game without stats at all, as the full focus would then be on the primary objective of an RPG: to provide a vehicle with which people roleplay their characters.
>>
>>51484173
I hadn't though of that. I could see how being more flexible would be a good thing, but as the feature is a trade off, maybe having it be restrictive would be a good balancing measure.
>>
File: Hobgoblin spear holder.png (291KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin spear holder.png
291KB, 1000x1000px
>>51479569
Friendly bump for feedback.
>>
>>51483629
>am happy always to just be human
>always the same bunch of classes in the runs
>am satisfied with life

Fuck you might be right for me.
>>
>>51484310
So... roll for above average stats and place them where they have the most impact? Geez, wizard number 6 is so much more unique than wizard number 9 cuz their int is +3 instead of +4.

No thanks, I'll be over here actually role playing. Building a character that is more than numbers. Because thats what stat rolling is, allowing rng to make your role play choices for you.
>>
>>51479569
>>51484705
I like it a lot. The two cultures represented are very similar to the hobgoblin societies in my setting and I'll probably borrow bits and pieces from it.
>>
>>51484770
You only get to do the swap once. But you seem to be hell bent on being an obstinate retard so I'm going to let you be that.
I don't want you flying about in a rage with that retard strength (did you point buy to an 18/00? impressive).
>>
>>51480155
Mearls and Crawford were busy with PAX.

On that note, you say "Wizards" as if the actual content producing team for D&D is more than just three dudes.
>>
>>51484831
>three dudes who shit out content that's about as balanced as anything I can shit out with homebrewery

Jesus that's a depressing thought.
>>
>>51483366
I know EACH of my players reads these generals.

Fucking edgelords
>>
>>51484660
>Arguments between point buy and rolling tend to focus far too much on the roleplaying aspect when it should be 100% irrelevant to the discussion, because the competence and quality of roleplay is always strictly in a vacuum.
Your reading comprehension is bad. The "arguments" themselves are the clear object of the statement, with there being no separation between "roleplaying aspect" and the following statement, the sentence should be read as "The roleplaying aspect should be irrelevant to the argument between point buy and rolling."

Moreover, if you read it as, "The argument between point buy and rolling should be irrelevant to the roleplaying aspect" then it still has no implication at all that the writer thinks stats don't matter. You can only, still loosely, derive this by reading the statement as "Point buy and rolling should be irrelevant to the roleplaying aspect."

Commas are used for a reason anon, I'd recommend learning them.
>>
>>51479727
Devils sight , darkness and grab a rope to lead your party.
>>
>>51484310
So you get decent strength, resoundingly meh constitution and horrible dexterity. Still pretty shit. Is there literally any reason to enforce random assignment in any way shape or form?
>>
Hey what classes do you guys prefer to usually play as? Kind of a favorite you know by heart.
>>
>>51481285
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/826126482632220677
>>
>>51484807
Newsflash, "organic stat rolling" produces on average higher than average PCs. And even with lower stats doesn't change the script. A PC will always place it's emphasis in its main stats. Swapping stats guarantees that.

And fyi, I'm not the other anon trying to enlighten your stats rolling crutch reliant ass. I'm the dude that's more concerned with playing the character I want, instead of one dictated/hindered by what I roll.
>>
>>51485008
In every dnd edition, and every rpg with it or with an allegory for it. I must play a monk.

I must punch dragons to death
>>
>>51485129
I like angry mundane punching guys better than mystical punching guys.
>>
>>51484807
You can't point buy an 18. Even with racials you can only get so far as a 17. But rolling an 18 then bumping it to 20 isn't out of the question
>>
>implying any of this rolling-vs.-point-buy shit matters with a good DM and a good campaign
None of you fucks even play D&D.
>>
I want to try 5e out, what're some signs on a Roll20 page indicating that a campaign will be unsuccessful and short lived so that I play but not commit for the long term? I hate doing anything half-assed so I need to push the responsibility onto someone else.
>>
>>51485147
I put forth this statement. One who can punch a dragon to death is not mundane. Thus you are in a sense mistical.
>>
is a 1/2 challenge level creature equal to two 2 level pcs?
>>
>>51485162
no, but those faggots play competitive DnD
>>
>>51485147
Both work for me, as long as the end result is a fist breaking a dragon's face
>>
>>51485179
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>>51485179
CR is just "levels" for NPCs. It just shows how strong they are (as an average of offense and defense), and isn't necessarily in direct comparison to PC levels. This is especially true of the <1-CR monsters. Encounter difficulty is instead determined by XP thresholds.
>>
>>51485162
I did once. DM insisted on stat rolling. I got a 7 for con. So I thought "wizard". I spent most combats making death saving throws. Waste of 3 months.
>>
>>51485207
I thought was. CR being what can challenge 4 equivalent PCs
>>
File: zk1LA.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
zk1LA.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>51485209
>played DnD once
>thought it was a waste
>lurking /5eg/

what say you, nerd?
>>
>>51481318
Medicine, Intimidation, Insight, Persuasion.

Those should be the relevant skills for torture.
>>
>>51485232
Sorry, for clarification; I played in a campaign which included stat rolling once.

Imo. Stat rolling is best for short or one off games.
>>
>>51485200
>>51485207
so 100 xp is easy for 2 level 2s and 200 xp is medium dif then?
>>
>>51485259
Ah, gotcha.

I've had the opposite experience, however we have never done point buy. We've just done 4d4 drop. Its been going well.
>>
File: Mama-Chan is a sweet woman.png (63KB, 464x364px) Image search: [Google]
Mama-Chan is a sweet woman.png
63KB, 464x364px
I've only ever played a Paladin, Sorcerer, and Fighter. What makes the Wizard class so good? I might want to try it out in a game my friend is setting up.
Any fun builds?
>>
>>51485316
Wizards get broken as fuck once you reach a level threshold.
>>
Is the consolidated character options sheet in the mega? And if not could someone post it?
>>
What are some good ways to introduce new party members? 2 of my players died in a boss fight at the end of a dungeon, the rest of the party (the other 2) are on their way to a new city, though its a while away

Should I introduce the new party members on the road or in the city? They are also pretty different, it's hard to find a way to bring them both in at once (a gladiator and a pixie warlock), though I suppose if they agree to be unlikely friends beforehand it gives better party composition
>>
>>51480343
No one? Shit, where did that one interested anon go..?

>>51480716
I think of it as a conscious disadvantage, because the it's like trying to figure out the nature of breathing. The question is more metaphysical to them, thus their answers to "how magic works" do not apply to anyone but themselves.

Arcana is supposed to be general knowledge of the magic, but Savants have do extra work, otherwise their answers are not applicable.

And yes, Savants are supposed to be an alternative Sorcerer class basically.
>>
>>51480017
Use passive perception and static trap DCs. The party spots the trap in time or not depending on travel pace, lighting level, and which party member(s) in a position to see it in time. Now you don't have to roll dice at all. You don't really want your party to have to say they stop every 10' and search for traps, do you?
>>
>>51485338
Time skip. After weeks of tri-outs and aptitude tests, two new members have been selected as interns for your Adventuring Company.
>>
Whats a good patron for an undying Light warlock? Especially if the player isnt going to know exactly who their patron is, would a devil acting as a benevolent force be a good idea?
>>
>>51483716
I use the 6x6 matrix in my game. Enjoy it a lot, though it's a bitch to explain to newbies.
>>
>>51485316
Short rest spell recovery, rituals, arcane traditions and the sheer versatility of the magic they know.
>>
>>51485503
Newbies... as in new to D&D or new to a 6x6 matrix?
Hopefully it's the former and not the latter.
>>
>>51483297
I dont decide how the dm runs the game
And im pretty MAD at this point so some nice rolls would be good
And id only use the ki for patient defense
I cant stack temp hp but could always have some.
Ifirc arcane ward isnt thp its its own hp pool
>>
>>51485162
I DM two games a week, both groups rolled their stats and like it for the variety.

One group iron manned rolled and got a perfectly fine party.
>>
>>51485446
Basically any positive-energy being works

I'm personally fond of just not having a pact at all, and instead having the undying light warlock be a conduit for positive energy to flow into the mortal world. No pact to keep, but he's got to be careful or the energy could destroy him if he uses too much at once
>>
Is that magic item making guy here? One of my players is a Triton Ancients Paladin, using a Trident + shield. He already has a trident of fish command, my idea for a personalised reward is:
Shield of the Deep (Name pending)
Upon hitting with a divine smite, the shield shoots a torrent of water at the same target. The target must make a Strength Saving Throw against your Spell DC or be knocked prone.

Too Strong? Too weak? Awkward? What the fuck do i name it? I'm a very new DM this is my first personalised magic item.
>>
>>51485643
He's pact of the chain, and he's said that he likes the idea of his patron speaking to him through the familiar. Also it happened in his backstory, so its a bit stuck in now. I also like the idea to potentially cause plot hooks or the like, though my idea is that the patron is not necessarily on his side. Is it devils or demons I'm looking for?
>>
Anyone have a decent lamia playable race homebrew? There's one on leddit but it's kind of dumb and filled with bullshit.
>>
>>51485338

So far I've been using NPC's as good entry points into the campaign, associates of theirs and all the rest. It seems to be working out fine- on occassion even NPC's converting into PC's, if the players are game.
>>
>>51485680
Would an Efreeti work? Thats a bit more fire based than light though
>>
>>51485681
Use half-elf stats but you have double the swim speed and you can't use ladders.
>>
>>51485736
The efreet is composed of molten gold or silver. Easy enough to confuse with personified radiance.
>>
File: seensomeshit.jpg (309KB, 1280x1575px) Image search: [Google]
seensomeshit.jpg
309KB, 1280x1575px
>>51485681
/pfg/ leave
>>
>>51485681
You got to be kidding me.
>>
>>51485651
I like the item, how does "Crest of the Crashing Waves" sound?
>>
>>51485926
>>
>>51485316
Depends on your definition of fun. Conjuration, transmutation and illusion all come packaged with abilities that can potentially be very useful, but require some cunning to make full use of. Minor conjuration in particular can be used for on-demand cover and cheap weaponry, but the transmuting is a bit harder beyond just tricking merchants. Abjuration gives you an extra "battery" of HP that you later share with your team, and you also become the master of telling your DM to stop using casters ever. The only "build" I can think of is halflings diviner which is certainly fun for you but mostly just cruel to the dm considering how strong divination already is (turns out an ability that alternates between forcing opponents to fail saving throws or giving your team free successes is a good way to make divination viable). Basically just make sure you pick up the good rituals like find familiar, detect magic, tiny bit etc and you'll be spewing out spells for every situation.
>>
>>51479569
>>51484705
Not a fan of not-mongol Hobgoblins. Much prefer them to be just another type of goblin in a goblin tribe.
>>
>>51485651
It's awkward, being hit with water like that is more likely to result in a 5 foot move than a knocked prone, even more so when actually in water, which a Triton should be built for.

The trident is flavorful, but its overall power is typically low, so its ok to have a mechanically useful shield.

>Barricade of the Reef
>Shield (Attunement)
>This magical shield was formed from coral off the shores of a distant land, and gifted to a Merfolk King in hopes of peace. Originally a light pink color, it is now perpetually the crimson of shed blood.
>While wielding this shield you have advantage on Concentration checks.
>When you are dealt damage by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to cause the enemy to make a DC:13 dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, they take 1d8 piercing damage and have disadvantage on attacks against you until the end of their turn.
>While submerged in water you can use a bonus action to cause the shield to animate. It floats around you, protecting you from attacks as if you were wielding it, leaving your hands free. The shield remains animated for 1 minute, until you use a bonus action to end this effect, or until you are incapacitated or die, at which point the shield slowly floats to the surface, or into your hands if you have one free.
>>
>>51486045
I'm the guy who made the ocean themed items for the pirate campaign a few threads back, if thats who you were asking for.
>>
>>51480344
Tell them they can travel 200'/min and sneak, 300'/min normally, 400'/min but -5 passive perception, or 5'/min and take 20 on searching. Apply disadvantage for dim light or no light but darkvision. To expand on this answer>>51485373

>>51480862
>just being lazy
I think we all know this is most likely, at least wrt UA itself if you want to be generous.

>>51483296
>It's upsetting because it shows that they just shoved the PHB Hunter into the Revised Ranger,
They did the same thing with deep stalker. It's almost unchanged from the previous UA it debuted in. It turns out the Hunter is also trash and people just didn't complain about it as much.

>>51483331
The median is +5. The mean is 3.something. I think 3.5, going off memory. The range is <+1 to +5, but results cluster strongly in the +4 to +5 range then drop off sharply.

>>51483491
>removing that trait will make the feat entirely unappealing.
Completely unappealing, at least to some classes, depending on PC level perhaps.>>51483541
Without reaction attacks, it's worse than +2 str, basically. Savage attacker and Tough tier.

>>51484534
The philosopher's stone, I would hope.
>>
>>51485763
What is it with snakes and ladders?
>>
>>51486263
Blame the original snakes and ladders game.
>>
I DM for 5 players, 2 guys and 3 girls, the guys are really invested in their characters, but the girls are always talking about the new characters they have rolled up and can't wait to play with, despite being at the start of a pretty involved campaign. Is there anything I can do about this? They just don't seem to care about their characters. I'd introduce a character swap mechanic, but I fear that would just cause more separation from their characters.
>>
>>51488943
Let them swap, otherwise they'll just take too many risks.

Or add in game respec potions or something.
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.