[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mage the Ascension for Fate Core

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: mage.jpg (256KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
mage.jpg
256KB, 612x792px
hey, /tg! i wanted to run a campaign Mage the Ascension, but my friends hate the rules, so i thought i could adapt it to Fate (they love it). Any ideas about how should i do it?
>>
>>51476151
Not really? I'd suggest getting the Mage Translation guide and porting it to nWoD (the system is less shit that way) but without knowing what they hate about MtAs I can't really help too much.

Um. Make each Sphere its own skill?
>>
>>51476282
they think the system is uselessly complex and boring and easily breakable and i kinda agree. and they are going through a fate-fanboy fase
right now, so there's that.
i'm thinking about a separate skill tree just for the spheres, capped by an extra called Arete. and Paradox would be a separate stress track. when trying to cast a spell, they roll for the highest sphere rank involved.
>>
>>51476475
Mage by its very nature is easily breakable. You can BEND FUCKING REALITY.
You could do a lot worse than Fate for a replacement, though.
>>
>>51476675
you do have a point there
>>
>>51476151
Theres Dresden Files RPG.
It has Wizards and is FATE.
So...
>>
>>51476475
complaining about mage being breakable is like complaining Rifts is breakable is like complaining shadowrun is breakable is like complaining Exalted is breakable is like...

My point is mages/Rift-folk/shadowrunners/Solars are not supposed to be balanced. Your characters should end their days with a meal at Milliways.
>>
Maybe look at GURPS ritual path magic (or incantation magic, its simplified equivalent for dungeon fantasy). I'm not memeing here, not suggesting GURPS over Fate in your case. But basically RPM is mage the Ascension for GURPS and so might give you ideas.

Mage is going to be overpowered and unbalanced. It's intended that way. Live with it. Just so long as the PCs are balanced against one another you'll be fine.
>>
>>51480949
>>51483438

i agree that mage is supposed to be unbalanced and breakable. it's just that my players don't like it and say it's a stupid system
>>
>>51484467
So, what is it about Mage that they DO want to play? That will help pick a good system better
Is it the technocracy?
Trick question; It's always the Technocracy [/Spolier]
>>
>>51484786
they loved the setting. game-wise, they really like the magic system.

and the technocracy is always right
>>
I think it would be easy to port it to Fate. Have each sphere be a skill, make the cost to be a mage their high concept or an aspect and lower their fate points by one or two. The Fate System Toolkit would be a good thing to read through.
Luckily it's all online:
https://fate-srd.com/fate-system-toolkit/magic
>>
How would you include paradox in Fate?
>>
>>51476151
Dresden files RPG is a mage-like RPG that runs on the last version of the FATE system
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.