[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the greates piece of HFY ever created?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: sptgl.jpg (3MB, 3600x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sptgl.jpg
3MB, 3600x1920px
Is this the greates piece of HFY ever created?
>>
>>51473829
Trump's election.
>>
>>51473829
can someone tl;dr it?
>>
>>51474106
Ok... so I'm thinking that's Gurren Lagann, but I can't be sure.

As for it being HFY... well, it's a pretty great example of the indomitable spirit of man, and worth shedding a few manly tears over. A great tale of brotherhood, unity, and, well... The main catch phrase is "Who the he'll do you think I am?!" Which should tell you a lot.

Also the mecha are incredibly gay, but that's part of the joke so...

Worst ending.
>>
>>51473829
1) No.
2) Fuck off.
>>
>>51473829
It's not about humans though.
It's about people willing to risk progress, which included non-humans.

Even Viral, who had no Spiral power, was integral to the success against the Anti-Spirals. And there was even that mole as well.

The worst thing about HFY is how people take the least important feature of a character and try to make it the most important.

None of the characters were awesome because they were human. They were awesome for a hundred other reasons, and there's plenty of examples of weak, pathetic, and even petty humans.
>>
>>51473829
Its not HFY as Spiral Power is not a uniquely human trait, and only Team Gurren actually do anything, every other human sits around doing nothing on earth.

Its about the characters as individuals and how their drive and willpower gives them strength, not because they're members of some innately 'superior' group.
>>
>>51473829
You obviously don't understand what HFY is.

HFY is just a shitty writing prompt. It's not a genre, and "humans are part of the winning side" doesn't make it HFY.

Hell, TTGL made sure to make it clear that it wasn't just about humans. HFY is like a mental disease, preventing idiots like you from seeing the important parts of a story just so you can pretend it's part of your shitty circlejerk wankfest.
>>
>>51473829
>Is this the greates piece of HFY ever created?
No, but it's one of the greatest piece of anime ever created
>>
File: quality content.jpg (75KB, 547x692px) Image search: [Google]
quality content.jpg
75KB, 547x692px
>>51473829
>hfy
>great
>>
>>51474380
what compels a man to be such a hopeless shitstain
>>
>>51473843
I despise /pol/, but, in all honesty, /thread
>>
>>51474231
>>51474295
>other races have spiral power too
>a group of humans and one half-human are the ones to defeat anti-spiral
>>
File: 4.png~c200.png (45KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
4.png~c200.png
45KB, 200x200px
>>51474475
You're ignoring that the highest amount of spiral energy was generated by a mole.
>>
File: lfod.jpg (148KB, 649x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lfod.jpg
148KB, 649x1000px
Troy Rising series by John Ringo

Seriously some of the best HFY out there, and its even done by a writer that doesnt suck!
>>
>>51473829
That doesn't look like Startide Rising, so can't say it is.
>>
>>51474605
I thought Buta was just a battery for Simon's excess spiral power.

>>51474475
Who was the half human anyways? I dunno if Nia or Viral count. Unless you mean Lordgenome but at that point he's like 1/5 human.
>>
>>51474621
Why must you lie so, anon? What did these people do to you?

First, it's Oh John Ringo No, second the Web comic it's inspired by is better, third his soapbox is so big he has to store it in an aerodrome.
>>
>>51474748
He says in the foreword that he wrote it entirely for giggles, it isnt meant to be grand literature.

And yeah, Schlock is great, no argument there.
>>
>>51474744
Viral. Nia was in antispiral's rape dungeon until the final showdown.
>>
>>51474773
See, that's fine. Ringo writes okay milscifi, and is fun to turn your brain of and read. But he's hardly the peak of hfy, a genre which (4chan aside) already has some big name contributors.
>>
>>51475100
That exactly what I use Ringo for, he is my author for comfy fiction, he has a decent sense of humor and can write decent characters (even if sometimes it seems like every character in the room is trying to be the witty one)

That series is just HFY for me because its just FUN, I mean the man builds an empire off of tree sap and blows the shit out of a fleet with mirrors. Just the mental image of that is kickass.

Out of curiosity, what is your pick?
>>
>>51475100
I think this post helps summarize why and how awful all the HFY fags are.

Aside from them thinking their shit is a genre that they can grab stuff written by other people and cram it into their single-dimension bullshit, they just generally have shit taste.
>>
>>51475156
The stuff that I liked the most about that series (only read two, don't know how long it is) was basically cribbed from David Brin ' s uplift setting. It wasn't bad, and they're tropes and content I adore, but the original is my benchmark. I love Startide Rising.

I'm some kind of hideous monster; I even like the uplift storm trilogy (I read it first, that might be why). It has the sweeping galactic stage, more aliens, worst sci-fi tech, and humans being special for not having been uplifted. Of course, humans are kinda shit for the same reason; it's not a be-awesome superpower.

I liked Troy Rising for- well, best deception was, "If I was going to build the ultimate treehouse, this is how is build it...".

conversely, it's annoying because of Ringo' s politics, which somehow manage to be diametrically opposed to not just mine, but my half-brother's and my father's too. (Shit shouldn't be possible.) His soapbox is big enough that it's, unfortunately, really hard to ignore. Still, if I didn't have a backlog reading A Fire Upon The Deep now I'd probably pick up the next one if I saw it.
>>
>>51476182
> It has the sweeping galactic stage, more aliens, worst sci-fi tech, and humans being special for not having been uplifted.

*weirder tech, phone posting.
With jingo-Ringo, it feels like humans are special not because they were uplifted later, but because America is on their side.
>>
>>51474106
Humans are special because we can use our determination and drive to survive to do literally anything.

Watch Gurren Lagann if you haven't already. It's dumb fun anime cranked up to eleven.
>>
>>51476182
>>51476237
Totally valid point on his politics really, Im a big fan of the guy, but at certain points you just have to hold your nose.

Like, for some reason he feels the need to slam global warming in literally ALL of his books, even the one that takes place over a thousand years in the future. It gets tiring after a bit.

As for him being overly America-centric, well, the guy is former service and fairly opinionated, its just something you have to deal with for a lot of milfic writers (not all of course), and at least he does a good job with the Germans in Watch on the Rhein

I'll have to swing by my local used shop and check out Uplift, I'm not super familiar with 80's and older scifi because of how dated some of it can be.

If you havent checked it out, the Legacy of the Aldenata series is a much more levelheaded approach to humans dealing with an advanced civilization that Ringo does (in other words, the only reason they have a chance is because all the other races were screwed up by an even more advanced race)

Again though, get ready for it pretty much being just Americans and a small portion of Europeans, because Asia gets mostly wiped out and the Indis are portrayed as totally corrupt and useless.
>>
>>51477132
Read some of aldenata, but a decade back or something.

Hfy:
> Larry Niven
Man-kzin wars had the tag line of, "...it turns out the reason Man had decided to study war no more was because he was really, really good at it."
In setting, man and kzin are being manipulated into combat by another alien race for the purposes of effecting some unnatural selection on the kzin genepool . Hfy isn't the point, but is nice side effect, and often present in low key manner.
> Alan Dean Foster
He has a series where all aliens are super empathetic and generally very bad at soldiering. In the midst of a big coalition war, once size discovers humans living on earth, which they consider a fucked up death world.
> Jerry Pournelle
not a fan, but worth a mention. Mote in God's Eye, Footfall.
> Poul Anderson
I like him, find his writing comfy, and The Man Who Counts is pretty great. Star Fox (no relation) has a little more conventional hfy.

I think overall, I like hfy more when it isn't the focus, or comes across now as Humanism, Fuck Yeah. The problem with the stuff moray people complain about is that it's written with the sole goal of jerking humans off, rather than being a good story that just happens to be real glowing in its portrayal of mankind.
>>
>>51474773
>Schlock is great

If only the art were not so painful to look at. Can't Howard just wrap it up, hire an artist, and start a new comic? One without shitty attempts at humour, this time?
>>
>>51476182
What are Ringo's politics?

Also, Vinge's Rainbow's End bored me to tears.
>>
>>51473843
Well it's nice to see how HFY has become univocally synonymous with shit
>>
>>51478204
It was an interesting thought exercise for science fiction that got completely ruined by trenchcoat-wearing edgetards equating "thinking outside the box" with "genocide is awesome".

It's unfortunate that they had to be the ones to give this thing its moniker, but it all comes down to that Bogleech Tumblr post pointing out that it's weird how humans are traditionally represented as "squishy" in science fiction while we, as a species, have insane endurance compared to the rest of Earth's wildlife.

In essence it's a call to stop seeing humanity as the boring baseline in science fiction. And I'm completely onboard with that, because science fiction is always about humanity anyway. So instead of celebrating our nonexistent "plucky" nature, it's better to subvert the role of humanity. It's just a shame that turned into "humans are Klingons".
>>
>>51478201
I could try and actually answer your question, but I read my last Ringo book like, four or five years back; all that sticks strongly in my mind would be what I personally found most egregious.

I'm pretty lefty and anti authoritarian. My father is a little more lefty and moderately more authoritarian. My brother is basically a >libertarian. I'll mock him for it, but I think his reasoning is usually fairly legitimate. Draw your conclusions or read him yourself.
>>
>>51473829
That's not either Gunbuster
>>
>>51478297

Don't remember where I saw it, but there was a thing I saw that portrayed humans as basically the dogs of the sci fi genre. Not in the "mangy, grizzly mutt" sort of way, but in the "domesticated companion that's kinda dumb but incredibly loyal" way.

It was written from the perspective of two alien officers who are talking about redrafting the first contact rules for humans. The latter questions if it's because they're more warlike than previously anticipated, where the former goes on to explain that it's rather the opposite.

Basically, our ability to project human qualities onto literally anything and bond with it is what made us unique. The only thing keeping our collective heads on is that the other species have either had a good sense of humor about our quirks or our allies have intentionally kept us out of the way of those who wouldn't appreciate our clinginess.

It also put forward that despite this, humans are some of the best crewmates to have on a ship because of their tendency to bond the way they do. We have a natural tendency to sacrifice for others, and are only too eager to please those we consider our friends.
>>
>>51478201
He is very, very pro America (read as muh freedoms), it becomes very evident that he has poor opinions of some nationalities, and he is not at all apologetic about it.

He also is a climate change denier, which wouldn't be a big deal if he didn't feel the need to mention in it EVERY series he has written.

Given that I'm generally on the right when it comes to things like big government and personal freedoms, it doesnt bother me all that much, but he is pretty insensitive to what he would term liberals, and loves to point out how politicians (again especially liberals) are the worst thing ever.

>>51478166
at least his art now is bearable, I'm a big web comic guy and some of the artwork out there even in multi-decade comics is just SOOOOOO bad.
>>
>>51473829
It's not the greatest anything
>>
>>51478415
I don't know what the fuck I am, but in the current spectrum and location I'm right wing. I don't like ideology and idealists because it's folly to think any one system will work perfectly. Ideology removes flexibity from politics. Someone mentioned Ringo slamming global warming in his books, and that'd trigger the fuck out of me. I have gradually amended my views on environmentalism, and am basically motivated by a conservative outlook: Even if it's not true, it's still better to reduce pollution. I don't give two shits about "the economy", and that also counts when left wing people tell me we need immigration for "the economy".
>>
>>51478297
HFY, even based on odd quirks like 'humans can outwalk any other land animal' was always dumb, because it doesn't take into effect how technology doesn't just make those accomplishments invalid, but it bypasses them completely. it doesn't matter if some dude from zimbabwe can run twenty miles in a day and I have a bumb leg, because I have a car and a gun.

Any reasoning species is going to develop tools to overcome it's natural weaknesses and exploit maximal resources. Thus, the only meaningful differences left are technological advancement (likely a function of it's age) in addition to psychological/cultural variations.

There are three basic ways the Psych-culture angle are played with humans and they are;

1.Humans are very 'FRIENDLY' and multicultural (which ultimately ends up a meaningless statement about humanity because such a human faction just becomes part of a larger multi-species Federation.)

2. Humans are 'DETERMINED' usually means that humans just advance rapidly in tech and politics despite initial disadvantage in an established galactic society. Eventually become boring galactic paragons.

3. Humans are 'AGGRESSIVE' war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, waaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH.
>>
>>51478668
The entire idea stands in relation to the rest of science fiction, and then specifically the science fiction with aliens. The point about technology doesn't matter, because this shit is a regular theme in science fiction.

It's basically a reactionary move to the ruling idea that humanity is either the baseline, or physically unremarkable and only successful through nebulous, non-existent traits. It spurs an outlook at humanity from the outside in. In fact, one of the interesting traits of the "genre" is that a lot of its stories are either from an alien perspective, or are about the alien perspective. This in constrast to most of regular science fiction.
>>
>>51478668

I think a lot of the issue comes not from people trying to give humans some unique special status, but from the ayylmaos all being homogeneous as far as culture and ideals. Because the rest of the cast is oversimplified, it makes us look at humanity and think "how can we simplify this race as well, while still making them unique in their own way?"

In reality, the alien species should be better refined, so that writers don't feel the need to default to standard tropes of

>the diplomat race
>the war race
>the technology race
>the hive mind race
>>
>>51478297
>In essence it's a call to stop seeing humanity as the boring baseline in science fiction.

Which has never really been the case.
Calling humans boring is right there pure and simple Anti-HFY. Apparently, to you, humans, unchanged, as they are, can somehow be considered unexciting (despite being the exciting protagonists of 99.9% of fiction).To call that it's essence is to basically say "HFY started with being retarded, than people fixed it by simultaneously making it less and more retarded."

If you want to say that humans being humans in science fiction is boring, than you're being moronic on a scale that I can't even begin to address, because you're going to have a very, very, very, very hard time even starting to present a setting where humans are not the central figure that dominates the story, with their "baseline" enabling them to emphasize and contest with all the other races and to handle situations in unexpected manners.

If anything, your personal version of HFY is to make humans MORE boring, rather than less, by switching humans with "Humans defined by a singular trait", a brand new and ultimately alien race that is a childish concept that is an insult to any attempt at serious science fiction.

Thank god that most of HFY, while stupid, says "Fuck you" to your stupid "we're pretentiously pretending to explore these not-humans we call humans" bullshit. Even though the "Humans kill everything" HFY is stupid on a level that makes us all embarrassed to even call these guys who write this shit human, at least they're somewhere in the ballpark of not being complete fuckheads like you seem to be.
>>
>>51478552
Hey man, I can't judge, I don't think Malaysian breadmaking periodicals are really conducive to anything more than working yourself into a tizzy and trolling, when our comes to politics.

Do the best you can, I'll do the best I can, and hopefully we'll find we can meet some place in the middle.
>>
>>51478813
Christ, I can never understand what motivates cunts like you to get so triggered at a simple conversation. You're plainly showing you don't even understand basic concepts of the genre, so you and your dumb whining can fuck right off.
>>
Why would it be?

The overall theme of the series is that progress might sometimes be painful, dangerous and disruptive, but it is still worth attempting and achieving, even if it results in failure.

Hell, a huge part of their ultimate success is built on the failures of others who came before them with the same goal, but who's attempts paved the way.

Indeed, their victory at the end is a victory made by all the Spiral races, humanity is just the last in the line of people who rose to oppose them.
>>
>>51478771
Oh yes, the "alien" perspective, which in 99% of cases boils down to the aliens being fucking morons, who completely overlook shit that should be blindingly obvious, like the potential applications for some awesome technology that they happened to invent before humans did, or the idea of intoxicating oneself for one's own amusement, or the idea of an individual being willing to sacrifice their life for the good of the group (fucking hell, that's not even unique among Earth creatures - Ants and Bees do that too).

It's the most childishly self-centred vision of alien intelligence imaginable.
>>
>>51478924
>genre

Fuck off with calling your dumb writing prompt a genre.
How can you even try to lecture someone about not understanding basic concepts when you don't even know what a genre is.
>>
>>51478924
It might be because HFY doesn't belong here and is complete shit?

It's not traditional games, and all it does is produce really shitty stories because they always try to present "Humanity" as some awkward parody of itself.
>>
>>51478798

>no prostitute race
>no party race
>no chef race
>no comedian race
>no racer race

Sci-fi was a distinct lack of variety when it comes to aliens.
>>
>>51478952
I mean science fiction, you total fucking idiot. Science. Fiction. Which you may recognize as a genre.

See, this is what I mean. Completely stupid.
>>
>>51479148
Calm down, sperg. It wouldn't be the first time an idiot called HFY a genre.
And, judging by how you seem to think there's anything wrong with what was said, then it's fair to think of you as one hell of an idiot.
>>
File: EFw2pWb.jpg (36KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
EFw2pWb.jpg
36KB, 720x480px
Reminder that in Gunbuster humanity went from cold war era tech to doing this shit with only DECADES of advancement

And then one of their robots eats a new big bang and goes full Dr Manhattan
>>
>>51479207
I'm not the one who got personally offended by a discussion about science fiction, broheim.
>>
>>51479361
>personally offended

I'm not the one who likes complete shit.
>>
>>51478871
Yeah, that's my idea, too. People will always differ in opinion about stuff.
>>
>>51479411
>talking about something means you like literally everything involved in it

Like I said in my very first post, I think it's an interesting idea that got run into the ground by edgy idiots misinterpreting it. You're the one coming in telling me what I think, Counsellor Troi.
>>
>>51479514
Complete. Shit.
From start to finish.
>>
>>51479565
You certainly like talking about it a lot for something you think is complete shit.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.