[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

I'm planning a game focused on cooking, something akin to Shokugeki no Soma. Only problem is, I haven't had any luck finding a system with in-depth cooking mechanics. Does something of the sort exist, and is it fun to play?
>>
instead of spending time imagining how to cook good food, why not learn how to actually cook good food
>>
>>51460701
But I can cook well, and I like doing it. Hence why I'd like to try playing a game about it, too.
>>
File: dm.png (541KB, 1050x1500px) Image search: [Google]
dm.png
541KB, 1050x1500px
>>51460680
>>
pls respond
>>
As per the cooking thing I dunno. I mean, really if you can already cook well just think about the things you have to do to cook well and turn them into skills or things you have to pass. Are you just buying the food or gathering it? What are you doing with it when you're done?

If you're in a shop or something there's a game called "Retail Magic" that you might be able to use. I'd give you a pdf but its watermarked.
>>
Don't be a big baby, write the rules yourself. Do you need everything spelled out for you?
>>
>>51462004

Doing just a series of "did you do it? How well did you do it?" skill checks is serviceable, but probably the most boring way to run that.
If I were going to design a system for it, I'd have the player need to manage resources, including time. Poor results in one area might require time or substituations or workarounds. Eating up too much time might cause some things to overcook, or dry out, or be served cold. You could rush to reduce the time taken for some tasks, but it would add a penalty to your result on that task.
Add in all of that and the various rolls for each individual task start to be more interesting.
>>
Ask yourself a question: "In which way is cooking, when it comes done to the basics, different from alchemy?"

And the answer to this question is: "In no way"
>>
Find that one GURPS supplement for cooking that's out there(I guarantee there's at least one) and steal from that.

Otherwise... I'd say you have a few options...

1. Run a Toriko-like campaign, where your players are trying to capture monsters and high-level ingredients to make into good food. This is probably easiest, since it's really just a Monster Hunter style campaign with food stuck on, or a high-level Dungeon Meshi campaign.

2. Shokugeki no soma: Cooking is Fighting. You'd need to homebrew a combat system, but this could be pretty interesting if done right. This is most in line with what other people have suggested.

3. Fighting Foodons. Did you forget about this one? Because I didn't. Food fights for you. Just take one of the Pokemon RPGs(probably the one based on Savage Worlds) and have everyone fight using their food monster.

4. Slice of Life. Use Maid RPG or something similar, and the game isn't so much about the food, but about the people eating it. Could be an interesting look into the service industry as a campaign setting, where the monsters and other insurmountable tasks are replaced with difficult customers, restaurant supplies, and player interactions.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.