[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Party Logic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1481290593651.gif (694KB, 477x252px) Image search: [Google]
1481290593651.gif
694KB, 477x252px
I have been a DM for fifteen years. I've always enjoyed crafting worlds and tying together cohesive plots. But in all of my experience, games never go to 'plan'. You are always going to be babysitting a group of murderous toddlers who just want to steal, murder, and fight.

So let's talk about that. Most memorable game starts, or experiences where you as the game runner just sit in your chair staring at the stream of near-autism that is flying at you.
>>
A few years back, I had the idea to design a world traveler campaign. I fleshed out a really dynamic world that would change at the click of a macro on roll20. Kingdoms and regions had economies. Enemy factions had trackers to see how they were doing, whether they were getting out of control. Whether or not the party would start hearing about them.

To really get the group interested in roving, I added travel mechanics, and started them in a real dump - out in a wasteland full of destitute orcs. The run down orc shanty they were started in is where all the crippled and dishonored orcs were sent to be forgotten while to the south, a massive orcish horde was gathering up to invade the kingdom to the west.

So this party of champions decides that they are going to deliver water to the village. And the orcs immediately drink it all. So they go and get more. And the orcs drink it all. And then they go and get water...

So I have this dynamic world that is going nuclear because the party isn't doing anything in it. Most of the regions get wiped out by the click of a macro and spill-over of faction war.

Finally, the party gets wiped out by a flood of kobolds because they have literally been doing nothing but breeding up a horde.
>>
consider that the people you're playing with probably aren't violent criminals

they don't steal, they don't murder, they don't fight on a regular basis. these things are out of the ordinary - exciting - to them. if your players can immerse themselves and get excited about these things, and more importantly, have fun... isn't that the goal of the game? people play to have experiences they don't get in real life, which is why a lot of autistics try to capture people in their magical realms.
>>
>>51455430
It's also a accepted thing that to reduce the possibilities of a pnp game to fulfilling hedonistic fantasies at the expense of all else is rude, unless that is the stated point of the game.
OP would profit from telling his players exactly what kind of tone they are looking for; in my current D&D game, I expressly told the group I want Big Damn Heroes. They don't need to be GOOD, but I want the kind of brass balls and daring do that you see in the stories of old.
I will not coddle them, and if they fail, there will be consequences, but the profit for those who succeed are there to be had.
>>
>>51455313
Wait, so while your pc's were hauling water the orcish horde just handily swept up the kingdoms? How much water did they haul and where from? Or how fast was that horde?
>>
I deal with this problem by starting out with no plan. Here's the adventure hook, here's the location, here's the problem to be solved. Here you go, heroes, deal with it as you see fit. As a GM, I make the story on the go as I react to their actions. Typically, a campaign starts as a complete sandbox and ends perfectly linear, though the players themselves don't even notice this shift, as this linearity grows out of their own decisions.

This doesn't always work: if there's an asshole in your group who doesn't take the game seriously, you can either go along with him and turn the entire campaign into a joke, or expel him from the group. You should do the latter. If the players see that you're nothing but an accommodating teddy bear, you could never immerse them into the setting again.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.