[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into crpg tabletop-like vidya?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: i want to be a dragon.jpg (104KB, 1430x680px) Image search: [Google]
i want to be a dragon.jpg
104KB, 1430x680px
How do I get into crpg tabletop-like vidya?
>>
File: darklands-poster.jpg (696KB, 1575x1851px) Image search: [Google]
darklands-poster.jpg
696KB, 1575x1851px
>>51450588
All you have to do is not give up at the first sign of difficulty. A lot of fellows will try something amazing like Darklands but not make it past the initial stages because of its relative unfamiliarity in terms of how it asks you to engage with it. Its a great example of an excellent CRPG because your imagination is still a major part, where more modern games (even some considered holy classics around here) do all the imagining for you.

Another thing I advise is to be honest with yourself and accept when a game isn't your bag. There are several excellent CRPGs that are recommended here that I don't like. Even if its the most lauded classic in the world, be honest with your feelings and don't let yourself be convinced that you have to like it or that you are obliged to play it through to the end just becasue of its classic status or its importance to the genre (which it can possesses regardless of weather you or I enjoy it or not).

My third piece of advice is to start with a game that appeals to you visually. You don't have to start with the best. Climbing Everest is one of this heights of mountaineering but no one starts there and if they did they wouldn't appreciate it. Start with something that looks like it will spark your imagination a little. Then when you play it you can see if its mechanisms are a match for you. This is to fins a place that is comfortable for you to start with, establishing a comfort zone, if you like. It will be a baseline you can branch out from. I would never reccomend old school Pool of Radiance to anyone right away, but its something you can easily fall into as a result of enjoying other games; from a position of legitimate curiosity about an older style rather than a sense of obligation.
>>
File: shadowrun negotiations.jpg (101KB, 859x611px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun negotiations.jpg
101KB, 859x611px
the shadowrun games arent bad
>>
Why? RPG videogames have always been inferior to actual tabletop

Even the shittiest tabletop campaign is better than the "best" videogame.
>>
>>51450588
Don't. The Isometric RPG genre has a few good games and endless shit, some of which is still releasing every year.
>>
>>51450588
I'd start with a recent one. Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin are both good games with very different strengths and weaknesses. Give them a shot and that may help you identify the types of crpgs that will appeal to you.
>>
>>51450588
Start at the beginning. Try Baldurs Gate Tutu and Planescape for the 'modern' beginning, or go back to Ultima and Darklands for the ur-crpg stuff.

>>51450876
OUT OUT OUT
>>
>>51450908
They do have the advantage of being able to play whenever instead of set times when the schedules of several people align.
>>
>>51451048
bruh he said "get into"
>>
>>51450588
Get ready for some good ol' bullshit then, OP. The old crpgs of the 90's took advantage of the text based mode they had at the time to make up for lack graphical fidelity you see nowadays which makes them better in the story and player agency department ( you can write for multiple possible player actions when all you need to do is just write a few more lines of written non-voiced dialogue) but suffer horribly from mechanical complexity.

CRPGS were, like everything else video games, were in their infancy in the 90's. Every genre you know now was still being more or less formed and many rpgs just used straight up AD&D or other table-top rulesets which is fine for playing at an actual table with people but works really poorly for computer play. Baldur's Gate 1/2 for example use the AD&D and you will quickly learn that it isn't a good thing when all the dice rolls are automated and the computer GM will hold no bars and attempt to murder you at any opportunity given, which is made worse because permanent death of a party member is plausible here.

TLDR: go to steam and just buy anything in the veins of Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, the original Fallouts, Ultima etc. BUT caveat emptor the games WILL show their age in many ways and not in just graphics. Expect interesting and varied stories that will account for a lot your personal actions but with heavily dated gameplay. If you find that fun, go for it! If you don't, nothing lossed save for a lesson in videogame history and how rpg's changed overtime by actually playing the games of yesteryear.
>>
>>51450588
Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Wizardry 8.
A few examples I've played and enjoyed.
>>
>>51451048
>OUT
>facebook filename
?
>>
>>51451075

Pfft. If scheduling is holding you back, play a solo RPG. You know they exist, right?
>>
>>51450588
What was the first one in that picture?
>>
>>51452311

Planescape: Torment.

It's a little bit like cherrypicking, though, PS:T's writing was stellar, even for its era.
>>
>>51450588
Start with Labyrinth. Progress forward chronologically.
>>
>>51451166
And unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many people interested in making an RPG now that takes advantage of more refined gameplay while also forgoing voice acting in favor of better story and player agency. No one wants to combine the best of the old with the best of the new.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.