[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General- /edhg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 60

File: wake me up (can't wake up).jpg (178KB, 2048x643px) Image search: [Google]
wake me up (can't wake up).jpg
178KB, 2048x643px
Removal Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://www.magiccards.info

What's your opinion when it comes to including removal? How do you balance between advancing your game plan and having answers?
>>
Old thread:
>>51422917
>>
>what's your opinion when it comes to including removal
your combo won't save your ass if you can't get it out. Always have plenty of options to deal with people.

This isn't a single-player mode after all.
>>
File: Beast Within_NPH.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Beast Within_NPH.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>51450488
>What's your opinion when it comes to including removal?
Don't clog your deck up with it, but you should be packing a little removal for literally every permanent type you can touch in your color(s), just in case.
>How do you balance between advancing your game plan and having answers?
Unless it's going to generate massive advantage immediately, I keep my removal held up until I know I need to use it to stop an opponent from fucking me up or running off with the whole game.

Post your favorite removal, lads
>>
File: 210.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
210.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
>>51450686
Vindicate and all it's brethren (Utter End, Anguished Unmaking, Mortify). In fact, I love Orzhov removal in general, especially when paired with Golgari removal (Putrefy, Maelstrom Pulse, etc). It's part of why Abzan is my favorite color combination.

Pity I didn't like what they did with it in Khans and there isn't any commanders in those colors that I like.
>>
Psychic Surgery in Lazav. Good or awful idea?
>>
>>51450906
Don't like Doran?

You've also got the Partner Commanders from this year's commander set.
Reyhan + Ravos looks like sick value town stuff
>>
File: 1326429334902.jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1326429334902.jpg
44KB, 480x360px
>>51450906
>he doesn't like Doran THICC Tribal
>he doesn't like Ghave and all the insane fuckery that he enables
>>
>>51450906
Anafenza always seemed pretty solid to me. Plus she turns a lot of the better removal of her colors into better removal when you use it on a creature, 'cause she exiles it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>51450686
Ashes to Ashes has been my jam for years. Barter in Blood is pretty cool, but sometimes I just NEED that targeted exile. I can't rely on "destroy" any more. Too much recursion nowadays.

Shoutout to Revoke Existence while I'm at it.
>>
File: Don't fake the funk.png (136KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Don't fake the funk.png
136KB, 223x311px
>>51450488
>What's your opinion when it comes to including removal? How do you balance between advancing your game plan and having answers?
Enough to generally have one in your hand early to stop a combo from going off, but not so many that your hand is nothing BUT removal. A lot of people don't understand that part of having a plan is having a counter-plan.

>>51450906
Orzhov removal is the best reason to play those colors. Maintaining the status quo is the same as winning to most Orzhov commanders. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

>>51450979
I had it in a Phenax deck for a while. Not exactly the same type of deck, but the broad strokes are the same. It doesn't last long and it attracts aggression. People really don't like their toys broken, especially if they haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

>>51450686
>Post your favorite removal, lads
Omnath, Locus of Mana is 98 cards, Omnath, and pic related.
>>
File: 97.jpg (252KB, 624x445px) Image search: [Google]
97.jpg
252KB, 624x445px
>51450686

Even though the second one isn't "removal", I love everything about it.

Both cards have awesome art, theme, and flavor quote. Nothing quite fits the bill of Black like a card just called "Murder."
>>
File: animar.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
animar.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
Is there any new spicy Animar tech?
>>
>>51451067
>>51451154
I like Doran but he feels awful gimmicky. And Ghave is neat but I'm not sure how to build it effectively without it being a degenerate combo machine.

>>51451262
Anafenza's okay, just a bit boring. It's not that I hate the existing Abzan commanders, they just don't SPEAK to me, you know what I mean?
>>
what are good ramp and card draw cards for mono-red?
>>
File: Trinisphere.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Trinisphere.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>51451619
Try this card Anon.
>>
>>51451871
Mind stone
Hedron archive
Dreamstone hedron
(These are good because they also give you draw if needed)

And

Sol ring
Thran dynamo
>>
>>51451619
Walking bastilla?
>>
File: Toshiro Umezawa.jpg (75KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Toshiro Umezawa.jpg
75KB, 312x445px
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toshiro-valuetown/
I think I'm a bit too heavy on spells that only effect nonblack creatures. We have a Grimgrin Player at my table, and usually I can deal with him early with Edicts and such, but I think I'll swap out Hideous End for Go For The Throat.

Beyond that, I think the only big upgrade would be Vampiric Tutor, because I can get two uses out of it from Toshiro's Trigger.

I'm also on the fence about adding in Mindcrank. Without Bloodchief Ascension online the card is just terrible, and Bloodchief Ascension is a prime target for removal.

Do you see any other issues with the deck, aside from missing Deserted Temple? I'm also likely going to slot in Liliana, The Last Hope for some graveyard recusion and for plinking down tiny threats to trigger toshi.
>>
>>51451896
I'd also say Myriad Landscape. It's a pretty good inclusion in most monocolor decks.

Mind's Eye as well, but it's a bit costly, but will generate a lot of value as the game progresses.

As for card draw, get ready to loot. Faithless Looting, Grier Reach Sanitarium, Cathartic Reunion, or go wheeling with Wheel of Fortune and Reforge the Soul.

Seer's Sundial is pretty slow, but it also works, and obviously if you're running any tokens, Skullclamp is auto-include material.
>>
>>51451624
You build fun non-degenerate Ghave by not slapping a thousand tutors into your deck, and putting in the combo pieces. Make sure you can do goofy shit like put 8 tokens on a single creature off of Ghave's sac ability. I've let my extremely low-power group play my Ghave deck, and watching them draw a card and think "what the fuck combo did I just draw into?" is priceless, every time.
>>
File: Gonti, Lord of Luxury.png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Gonti, Lord of Luxury.png
126KB, 223x311px
Anyone have a cool name for a Gonti deck?
I was thinking about naming mine 「STICKY FINGERS」
>>
>>51452152
I was going to name one [THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD]
>>
>>51452152
「Empire of Dirt」
>>
>>51451619
Lifecrafter's beastiary
>>
>>51452152
MR FANCY PANTS
>>
How the fuck do I build an aggro deck for this format? Isn't it supposed to be slow? How can I exploit that fact? I want to be dumping shit on the board while everyone else is still ramping.
>>
>>51452294
>Isn't it supposed to be slow
Well, no. The best decks in the format win turn 2-4 through interaction. I can promise you that you're not playing against those decks, though.

Exploit that fact by running low CMC creatures, usually tokens, or cards that are in general hard to deal with. It's different than aggro in other constructed formats in that you're also trying to ramp into big fat spells, like Eldrazi monument, or activating your Beastmaster Ascension. Look up Elfball strategies for a good idea of what aggro looks like in this format.

it's like aggro in other formats, but bigger and dumber, and lets you run more jank. That's why I like it.
>>
>>51452294
Gaddock and Alesha are pretty good aggro commanders.
>>
File: 1327783600000.jpg (23KB, 422x362px) Image search: [Google]
1327783600000.jpg
23KB, 422x362px
>dunking on the table 4 out of 5 games with Hidetsugu

This level of fun should not be allowed
>>
File: Grasp.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Grasp.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>51450686
Why wait for someone to actually play the card you're removing?
>>
>>51452294
Edric may be up your alley. Probably the only kind of deck I can think of that wants evasive one drops like flying men. He doesn't do as well in multiplayer games but you can probably figure out how to apply his strategy more broadly. An aggressive hate bear strategy that includes recursion with Anafenza or Alesha could also work and be more resilient if you're worried about getting blown out.
>>
>>51452152
「THESE EXILED YEARS」
>>
File: Killdozer.png (128KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Killdozer.png
128KB, 223x311px
>>51452294
You want agro? You want real fucking balls to the wall, dick in your hand, pants on the ground agro?

RIDE THE FUCKING DRAGON, ANON. You grab her tight and you never look back.
>>
File: Wort_zps76c2aa28.jpg (159KB, 642x481px) Image search: [Google]
Wort_zps76c2aa28.jpg
159KB, 642x481px
>>51452294
Wort boggart auntie 50 goblins is where you need to go
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/baral-the-moonman/
did I do good /tg/?
>>
>>51452294
You can build grixis marchesa to protect against wraths.

Either that or tokens.
>>
>>51451893
If you think that Animar bypasses the minimum cost thing, you're wrong. Trinisphere always wins.
>>
can i use cards with hybrid mana cost if i don't have the other color on my commander?
>>
File: 1484159309186.jpg (39KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484159309186.jpg
39KB, 720x720px
>>51452730
Nope.

Stupid rule though.
>>
>>51452730
903.4: The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card's mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204).<br><br>Example: Bosh, Iron Golem is a legendary artifact creature with mana cost {8} and the ability "{3}{R}, Sacrifice an artifact: Bosh, Iron Golem deals damage equal to the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost to target creature or player." Bosh's color identity is red.

The hybrid cards have the color identity of both sides, so you can only legally run them if you have both sides in your colors.
>>
>>51452294
Purph + impact tremors.dec with all the damahe doublers/sulphuric vortex effects will blow the table out pretty quick and early too
>>
>>51452294
Krenko goblin swarm is always popular

If you play in a blue heavy meta, pack red elemental blast, boil, boiling seas, and pyroblast.
>>
File: Cannibalize_SH.jpg (52KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Cannibalize_SH.jpg
52KB, 312x445px
>>51450686
>>
File: Urza's Blueprints_UL.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Urza's Blueprints_UL.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
>>51449920
I feel like this is way better in the long run
>>
File: 1485049784391.jpg (57KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1485049784391.jpg
57KB, 500x501px
>>51452775
>>51452764
two types of people post in /edh/
>>
>>51451893
Kek. I'd love to see an Animar faggot playing this card.
>>
>>51452152
"I like your spunk"

"plagiarism"

"Anything you can do, I can do better"
>>
>>51452846
Nah man. Urza's blueprints is only giving me 1 card a turn while I can essentially draw my entire deck with book of rass if I have the mana. Also blue prints cost 12 to keep on the field. So i'm paying 6 to 12 mana for a card or two? seem like shit desu sempai
>>
File: Last Laugh_TO.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Last Laugh_TO.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
>>51450686

I really want to try using this in my endrek deck. With a zulaport or blood artist, this could be really funny.
I want to see it rip a token deck in half and draw the game instantly
>>
>>51452903
The book of rass also makes you pay life, if you're going to be drawing your entire deck you best make sure you have the life
>>
>>51452828
>2 mana exile target creature and put 2 counters on another
>literally worth shit

how can this be?
>>
>>51452938
The main place I'd want either of these is mono-white. Lifelink is common enough that I think I'd rather /I am going to use Rass. Maybe Red wants the blueprints more but idk.
>>
>>51452984
Dunno, I made a soulmender cannibalize an avacyn once
>>
>>51452992
I'm thinking of it for slobad.
In my case I think the blueprints would be better. Paradox engine, clock of omens, unwinding clock, there's quite a few ways to have fun with this card despite its egregious cmc
>>
>>51452938
>life
Life is a resource, bro. Do you see anybody refusing to play any of the great black draw like Greed, Erebos, Phyrexian Arena, Necropotence, etc, because it costs life?
>>
I pulled a mana crpyt the other night.
Do you guys think I should keep it for Commander or sell ? Does the pace-advantage tend to matter ?
>>
>>51453026
That's metal as fuck. Can you imagine one of the most powerful angels ever being eaten by a 1/1 w cleric? now imagine that after the meal that cleric took scraps of Avacyn's body and sewed them onto herself. I love delving into flavor of cards and imagining these wild possibilities.
>>
File: 1485552264636.jpg (53KB, 564x428px) Image search: [Google]
1485552264636.jpg
53KB, 564x428px
>>51453084
>
>>
>>51453060
It's tough to say. I told my self unless I get Masterwork Sol Ring I'm just going to sell the masterwork, buy the cheapest copy of what ever the masterwork was, and use the rest to finance a new deck/upgrades.

Also what do y'all think about Kytheon, Soldier Token/Anthem tribal? I'd love to swing in for Lethal Commander Damage with a planeswalker.
>>
>>51453055
Way better artifact repeatable card draw: Tower of Fortunes, Loreseeker Stone, Trading Post. If you're willing to sacrifice things, there's even more options. Book and Blueprints are both shit fampai
>>
Should always include some removal for every type of permanent, if your colours support it.

Also what do you do about a new player who's first deck is slivers and cries every time he gets hated off the table?
I suggested to him to play something else if he doesn't want the hate, but he just sticks with it and cries every match. Getting annoying.
>>
>>51453115
how is book shit? it's colorless greed that cost 1 more. I run Erebos in Mardu mostly for the draw. I'd be more than happy to run book in Mono-W or Boros, And Lorseseeker's Stone/Trading post are pretty great but I feel that tower of fortunes runs into a lot of the smae problems as Blueprints. I still have to pay 12 to draw my first card. It is better than blueprints as there is A) no echo cost B)you get more cards more quickly for approx the same mana investment. But I'd rather not run tower if I can avoid it
>>
>>51452903
Oh fuck, I thought that it also tapped for some reason. Never mind then
>>
>>51453130
Can't fix stupid anon. I had a similar problem with this dude who wanted to run Horde of Notions Elemental tribal. He'd always get color locked because he had no real color fixing and only used basic lands. Not even guildgates cuz "They were werse than basics cuz the enter tapped" He'd get hated because everyone feared the 5c deck but he was literally too much of noob to do anything. I just kept suggesting doing angry Omnath instead until he finally realised his deck sucked and there wasn't a way to save it with out a manabase over haul. Some lesson people have to learn on their own. all you can do is talk/mock him about what went wrong with his deck. Or you could try telling your meta to step off the kid for a few matches. But that doesn't make the problem any better. I have the suspicion that the kid will cry about anything. Even if he just gets caught in the cross fire of a wipe or his win-con gets exiled/blown up you'll still probably heat about how everyone was being mean and unfair.

Final option is tell him that being hated off the table is good cuz it shows that everyone thinks you're really good/scary.
>>
File: ashiok.jpg (29KB, 618x602px) Image search: [Google]
ashiok.jpg
29KB, 618x602px
Ashiok was on Theros investigating how to make a god. Their clothing matches the Egyptian/Amokhet style, and they were suspected to be an 'Egyptian' walker from the start (plus the flavor of an Egyptian walker in a Greek set is pretty great.

Hope you're ready for new gods, most likely tri-color

Inb4 bolas is the grixis god
>>
>>51453060
Right now Mana Crypt is the cheapest it's going to be in a long, long time unless it gets reprinted in EMA2. So I'd say hold on to it for now, at least until right before EMA2 comes out.
>>
>>51452294
fucking zada man.

first you have a couple of tokens, then you draw so hard it makes blue cry, and then you win by combo or huge fuckken gobbos.
>>
>>51452927
But anon, token decks are what its for.

I have one in my Ghave, Guru of Spores deck. I am the only one laughing.
>>
>>51452984
>sorcery
that's why
>>
>>51453452
>Zada
>not Krenko
fuck even if you aren't going for the degenerate combo kill, being able to create free gobbos every turn is too good to pass up.
>>
>>51453309
>new gods
Ugh, that's so fucking boring. Can we get something a little more inspired?
>>
>>51453530
i played krenko, people see it coming a mile away if they have any removal whatsoever.
>>
>>51453549
I see what you did there
>>
>>51452927
Last Laugh
Drop of Honey
Porphyry Nodes
>>
>>51453631

Yep. Krenko is like Rakdos and Memnarch. The second they come in, someone blasts them away because of how fast shit hits the fan with them
>>
>>51453549

Nah fuck you

I want more gods
>>
File: BlessedAlliance.jpg (114KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
BlessedAlliance.jpg
114KB, 223x311px
Lately, this.
>>
>>51452711
>sarcasmface.jpeg
>>
>>51454381
But that's bad. Shitty, even. Why the fuck is this rare?
>>
>>51454845
it's Uncommon senpai
>>
>>51454381
This would only be good if you could choose the sacrifice mode more than once. But you can't and the other modes are shit.

Play Wing Shards instead.
>>
>>51454873
Oh? That foil is just then badly placed. Or maybe because I'm colourblind and I had hard time distinguishing some rares and mythics from each other just by the logo colours in Khans block
>>
Hey guys, I need some non-white recurring lifegain , what should I be looking out for?
>>
>>51454956
But what if the opponent doesn't cast any spells before the combat? Or worst of all, stifles the storm trigger?
>>
>>51454990
Venser's Journal and Ivory Tower. But former is useful, latter is not.
>>
>>51454996
Ifs and buts, anon. Besides, it'd still be better than >>51454381
>>
File: 187.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
187.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>51450686
Does this even count as removal? I sure love casting it, though.
>>
>>51454990
Essence Warden? Courser of Kruphix?
You didn't really specify exact colors you need.
>>
>>51455070
As long as it's not white, it's in my colours.
>>
>>51455054

Sure does. Double removal, even. Pretty good for that mana cost

My go-to nonspell removal is enchanting Krond the Dawn-Clad with something that gives hexproof/indestructible. Poor man's Annihilator
>>
>>51450488

Does anyone have all those edits of anguished unnmaking?
>>
>>51455088
>enchanting Krond the Dawn-Clad with something that gives hexproof/indestructible

Using artifacts/enchantments that put copies of triggered abilities on the stack with this sounds lovely. Hard to pull off maybe, but lovely nonetheless
>>
>Removal Edition
Fantastic timing desu

What is the best mass black removal for a Golgari token deck that doesn't cost a kidney to get a copy of (i.e. Damnation)? Toxic Deluge is the second best I can find, but it still requires a ton of health to actually screw the opponents more than myself. Almost all other options seem more harmful towards my own creatures than the other players - Mutilate, etc. I'm still split on the aforementioned Toxic Deluge and Black Sun's Zenith - which is more beneficial in your own experience?

I'm discounting stuff like In Garruk's Wake since that's a late game effect and I also need a cheaper option.
>>
>>51455053
Well, that's true. I think the metalcraft one is decent as well kinda.
>>
>>51455106

Man black isn't that great for removal that doesn't harm you too. Crux of Fate? Forced March?
>>
>>51455106

>golgari

Black sun's zenith + Melira
>>
>>51455106
Well, you may need to accept that you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

That said, take a look at Decree of Pain. You can use it to clear some weenies and draw a card, or you can cast it (for a lot of mana, mind you) to wipe the board for an insane card advantage.

Obviously, if you don't have a limitless hand, you probably shouldn't go for it (unless you have a lot of reanimator shit).
>>
>>51455106

If you can deal with losing life: Rain of Daggers

Maddening Imp is another thing to consider, if you play against someone that taps all their shit for abilities
>>
>>51455157
I don't necessarily want removal that doesn't harm me at all, but something that will also harm shit like Kaalia decks on an equal level without having to spend ridiculous resources on it. Forced March still kills all my tokens and basically nothing else unless I pay like 3BBB for it.

>>51455159
Melira unfortunately doesn't synergize with anything I run, and I don't feel like expanding to yet another -1/-1 counter niche when I already have trouble thinking what to replace. How good is Black Sun's Zenith on its own?

>>51455172
Yeah I ran Decree of Pain one upon a time, but the main mode is too expensive with In Garruk's Wake already in the 99 and the secondary mode is basically sudoku for my deck (Goodbye Ophiomancer, Creakwood Liege and all your kids).
>>
>>51455191
>Maddening Imp is another thing to consider

This guy is great for when they summon a bunch of creatures without haste in the first main phase.

Also Royal Assassin is really great for repetitive removal for attackers/ability users
>>
>>51455191
>Rain of Daggers
Looks decent, but it sounds like a worse Toxic Deluge almost all the time (unless I try to bury an Eldrazi or w/e) and the 6 CMC is still kinda steep. Maddening Imp's problem is that it just deals with utility creatures and doesn't handle beatsticks, which are what I need more cards against in the first place.
>>
>>51455106
Well, there's Extinction, which hits tribals hard and against non tribals can also do some damage while leaving your stuff untouched. Also can be used as a spot removal for hexproof/shroud/protect x creatures.
Life's Finale and Living Death are favorites, although former is 6 mana.
There's Spreading Plague which I assume you don't want with tokens and there's also No Mercy which is brilliant, but that's not a wipe and doesn't help against alpha strikes.
There's also Virtue's Ruin and that other one that kills all vegetables, but colour specific ones are pretty bad.
>>
>>51455213

Yeah, like I said, black is hard for these things.
>>
>trying to get through counterspells.dek with a deck with average cmc higher than 2.5

it's so fun
>>
>>51455246

I have a serious hatred for counterspells after my friend's girlfriend made a deck with like fucking 20 of them.

I know their place in Magic, but goddamn do I want to burn them all
>>
>>51455246
When I was starting EDH I had my Glissa infect and I played against counterspell deck. I cast Terra Stomper and the other guy scooped and called it unfair. Looking back it's pretty funny.
>>
>>51455255

Oh and of COURSE her commander was Talrand.

Couldn't even get off cards like Boil/whatever because literally everything I played got countered
>>
>>51455220
>Extinction
I don't play against heavily tribal shit, so most of the time it would only be good as spot removal or remove two at best. If enemy tokens ever become a serious problem, I'd rather run Maelstrom Pulse (yeah a Golgari deck without MP, I'm not made out of money m8).
>Life's Finale
This looks pretty good, but yeah, 6 mana.
>Living Death
This would actually suck pretty hard for me, my general is Nath.
>Spreading Plague
Leaves Voltron types unscathed and yeah, screws myself over.
>No Mercy
Would be nice, but unfortunately it doesn't unfuck an already fucked boardstate which is what I need mass removal for in the first place.

Another mass black removal I figured out would be Attrition, but that doesn't deal with hexproof/black/problack.
>>
>>51455255
>>51455265
>>51455268
i just decided to test out my maelstrom deck in xmage but that was a mistake

guy plays mana drain in response to my 6 mana creature, how the fuck do you deal with that

there really isn't enough counterspell hate in the entire fucking world to deal with some of the shit wotc has printed
>>
>>51455265
>commander + infect

Man I've been so conflicted with this. You still only need 10 poison counters, right?

Seems cheap as fuck. I have a really nice 60-card infect deck, but winning an EDH game like that is just.. I dunno I don't think I could play that
>>
>>51455244
Toxic Deluge is pretty good if I don't overpay for it. I just wondered whether black has any more mana-cheap alternatives to it besides Damnation. Black Sun's Zenith as I said is the third best I can find, but I have a hard time imagining it in practice.
>>
>>51455289
Infect is manageble in EDH, unless you play Skittles Voltron and then you should probably burn in hell
>>
>>51455291

I run Crux of Fate, but that's mainly due to its price

>>51455300

Really? I mean I've pulled of dozens of turn 2/3 wins, but I guess I don't have 4 Glistener Elfs + 4 Giant Growths, etc.

Still, there's a bunch of spells/artifacts/etc that have Proliferate
>>
>>51455324
Crux of Fate would be solid if I didn't have to deal with dragons.
>>
>>51455333

I actually like it a lot. Playing against dragons? One-sided wipe. Not playing against dragons? Okay well normal wipe.

Win/win, imo
>>
>your pyroblast gets counterspelled

ok
>>
>>51455339
Well when you play against Kaalia which has both dragons and demons...
>>
>>51455406
>$38 card

I will never understand some people. I refuse to buy cards if they're like.. over 2-3 bucks.

This guy at my LGS said his deck cost almost $1000 to build. Just, goddamn, man.
>>
>>51455422
I thought 3 bucks is my hard limit, but you can't get many black staples under 3 bucks, like Contamination.
>>
>>51455422
Levels of disposable income. If you are a poorfag, then yeah, don't spend money you need to eat or whatever on your hobby.

Otherwise, there is nothing "better" to spend your money on.
>>
>>51455455

Aye, you can't get many staples in any colors for the prices I play at. Good thing all my friends that play are kitchen-table tier players as well

>>51455467

Yes I know the whole "disposable income" aspect of it, but I can't get past the part where I think "they're just cardboard fkn cards. Why would you spend 50bux on a piece of cardboard??" :/
>>
File: 0cc.gif (3MB, 264x242px) Image search: [Google]
0cc.gif
3MB, 264x242px
>he can't shuffle a double sleeved EDH deck with ease
LMAOing at your life
>>
>>51455474
>Why would you spend 50bux on a piece of cardboard??" :/

Think of it less like that and more like
> Why would anyone spend any amount of money on anything not absolutely necessary to their survival?

If you can answer that question you can answer your question.
>>
>>51455467
it's not really a matter of disposable income though, there are plenty of poorfag neets who just spend their monthly autism bux on OG duals
>>
>>51455474
>>Yes I know the whole "disposable income" aspect of it, but I can't get past the part where I think "they're just cardboard fkn cards. Why would you spend 50bux on a piece of cardboard??" :/
I thought this too, but then again, they do usually retain that value. Which is why the reserved list is a thing and all. My hard limit is like 7-8 bucks though, though Earthcraft/Sylvan Library are tempting it.
>>
I WANT TO MAKE RURIC THAR STAX

GIVE ME IDEAS
>>
>>51455500
>literally me
D-don't laugh at me anon, I have small hands.
>>
>>51455575

Dunno. Do your own homework.

There are tons of guides on Google for him
>>
File: Slaughter_EX.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Slaughter_EX.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
>>51450686
Always and forever will be my favorite.
>>
>>51455746
>Crovax on Mirri rape
erect
>>
File: Macar.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Macar.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
How about this for removal?
>>
>>51456177
Only if you're running Vehicles.
>>
>that guy who plays nothing until turn 10 and then tutors and infinite combo and starts talking about how good he is at deckbuilding

favorite type of player
>>
>>51456232
You have to be running in some shit kind of meta that he can do nothing for 10 turns and survive.

Get more aggro lil nigga. End the hug box, kill bitches. You can force a creature based meta if you work hard and pack enough disruption.
>>
>>51456258
the thing is that these guys join pods where no one knows what their deck does

it's easy to mistake "slow shitty jank deck" with "slow shitty jank deck with infinite combo tutoring"

i wouldve smashed his shit if i had known
>>
>>51453549
You talking shit about Miracle Man and Big Barda?
>>
>>51456272
>taking risks
If someone just sits about doing nothing but playing lands, it's usually a red flag. Especially if they play tutors at any point.
>>
>>51456177
Vehicles+Paradox Engine
>>
>>51455578
Man I have big ass hands and I don't want to fuck with a double sleeved EDH deck.
>>
>>51456341
see these people play retardedly awful decks, so there's no reason to expect them to do anything dangerous, but then on turn 10 or whatever they'll cast their infinite combo and call everyones decks shit
>>
>>51456232
There's a Meren player at my LGS who STILL says shit like "Man, I feel so dirty for playing Meren lol" and " Guys, Meren is just sooo Good"
He's played this deck for over a year, and everyone packs graveyard hate so it's not as if he wins constantly.
>>
File: Tazri.jpg (325KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
Tazri.jpg
325KB, 750x450px
>>51456232
Whenever people get super high and mighty about how good their deck is, or do that thing where they gloat endlessly about all the answers they still had, I bust out my Tazri Food Chain deck and win on turn 2-3.

It's the only time I ever bring it out anymore.
>>
>>51456576
D-did she kill an angel and steal it's halo? That's barbaric.

Disgusting subhuman whore.
>>
>>51456671
She mercy killed one who asked her to kill them. She has perpetually bad luck because of it.
>>
>>51456432
I suck at shuffling single sleeved edh decks too though ;_;.
>>
>>51456576
>gloat endlessly about all the answers they still had
Played a few people like this. It's absolute euphoria to turn the gloating into groaning when I whip out good old Kami of the Crescent Moon stax afterwards.

"Guys, I still have 8 more counterspells in my hand, isn't that funny haha. Also, arcane labratory + forbid"

People get really salty when I tell them that if their deck was good, they would be able to answer this tyoe of play.
>>
>>51454956
But you can play any mode more then once anon, that is how escalate works.
>>
>>51456797
No it's not. That is certainly not how Escalate works. You choose one for each mode chosen beyond the first each time you pay the escalate cost. You cannot choose the same mode more than once, because it is not a new mode
>>
>>51456784
>People get really salty when I tell them that if their deck was good, they would be able to answer this tyoe of play.
How, exactly, does a deck "play around" arcane laboratory and forbid? I agree with your basic premise (that a good deck ought to be adaptable), but this seems like a bit of a ridiculous idea. What kind of cards can you use to get around Kami stax? Grand Abolisher? Vexing Shusher? That doesn't sound like much.
>>
>>51456576
Imma need a deck list.
>>
>>51456730
It could be worse. You could be that turbo-autist that quadruple sleeved his EDH deck.
>>
>>51457103
H-How?
>>
>>51452098
>not putting in the combo pieces

how, are you supposed to just play vanilla creatures and not read Ghaves text box at all so u can't put anything relating to counters or tokens in your deck? Because Ghave just goes off by accident.
>>
>>51457194
>Put in the combo pieces
>PUT THEM IN
READ, NIGGA, READ. he said don't put in the tutors you absolute fucking sledgehammer.
>>
>>51456845
Well, when the stax lock has been set up there is generally not too much you can do at that point, you need to sabotage the machine before it goes online. If I play static orb + clock of omens while all my opponents are tapped out, then there isn't much you can do since I'm drawing into counterspells like a madman. Disrupting a stax lock when it's already in effect can indeed only really be done with grand abolisher effects, spells that can't be countered and other such stuff.
>>
>>51452098
This, tutors are the true degeneracy. Literally any monoblack deck will become much better by putting in doomsday, 10 tutors and a good doomsday pile, for example. You can just shove this shit into your deck, theme be damned, and it gets so much better.

Honestly, EDH would be more fun if every non-jank tutor was banned, but until then I'm running them as failsafe "I want to win NOW" buttons.
>>
Can anyone suggest a place to get custom card sleeves from? From what I heard if you have 60 - 100 printed a handful will be off and I would prefer to not have to place 2 -3 orders for a set that could range between 15 to 30 dollars.
>>
File: download (43).jpg (11KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
download (43).jpg
11KB, 178x248px
>>51450686
Good old RTD
Never got more milage out of a single card yet.
It can be a little high on the curve in competitive decks but even then you can hedge your bets against counter spells by targeting a blue players card and someone who is about to go off.
Playing it at instant speed feels bad but it's still an exile effect so fuck off purph.
>>
>>51450979
>Psychic Surgery
Fun
And seeing as how laz is usually pretty casual I'd say go for it, nothing like selective exile effects. I have a friend who puts it in every one of her decks, usually she catches a win con or two every time it's out.
>>
>>51452035
Usually people play him as mono black good stuff who gets more value from instants.
Clonehead on YouTube has one in their playgroup and usually does well even against some pretty spicy decks like narset
>>
>>51452152
Luxury tax
Gotta give uncle sam his share
>>
>>51452294
Either ramp hard or stax
Anyone who complains about winter orb needs to be shot.
>>
Alright folks, Who's the best commander for Coin Flip EDH?

and I mean Actual Coin Flip. Chance Encounters win-con type of coin-flip.

I was thinking Keranos. thoughts?
>>
>>51455208
Did you miss where it said "attacks if able"? That means that creatures with summoning sickness aren't affected.
>>
>>51455474
You think that, but once you buy one or two expensive cards that thought goes away entirely. Just have to break the barrier.
>>
>>51457866
This. Bought an archangel of thune a while ago. My limit went up from 10 to 30 bucks, as long as it's only a few cards in the deck at least, and if there isn't a good replacement.
>>
>>51456671
>>51456681
Tazri is a woman? ? ?
>>
>>51458059
This is nu-WotC, what did you expect?
>>
>>51458059
Yes. She has a story all about her. The Blight We Were Born For
>>
>>51457866
Oldamog was like $30 when I got him and I haven't gotten anything like that since. To be fair I'm having a kid now so there has been a shift in priorities.
>>
File: 237.jpg (61KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
237.jpg
61KB, 312x445px
>>51458110
>nu-WotC
Ugh, you are so right! These fucking jews just keep pushing their narratives on us. Like, pic related is literally "muh speshul snowflake stronk black woman." Are you fucking kidding me? I want Magic to go back to how it was before they started pushing all this propaganda.
>>
File: muh diversity.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
muh diversity.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>51458059
Seriously, how can you be so blind to the shit Wizards of the Coast has been trying to pull these last two or three years? Pic related is literally "if your boardstate is diverse enough, you win." How pushed is that? The propaganda is so obvious.
>>
File: 83.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
83.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>51458059
>WE WUZ TIME MAGES N SHIET
Seriously. It's a disgrace.
>>
>>51458208
>>51458228
wait shit, these were supposed to be replies to >>51458110, sorry dude
>>
File: Invoke_Prejudice.jpg (62KB, 311x445px) Image search: [Google]
Invoke_Prejudice.jpg
62KB, 311x445px
>>51458192
>>51458208
>>51458228
Nice shitposting, family.
>>
>>51455474
I used to think like that too, and while I still won't pay $50 for one card, I understand the people who do. It's better to think of it as paying for the long-term enjoyment of playing with those cards. People pay >$500 for a day at Disney World and then it's gone, but you'll most likely get years of mileage out of a deck, assuming you keep playing.
>>
>>51455575
You could always do "Oops, All Creatures" +Primal Surge but that's a little boring.

I play him as the epitome of Gruul. Lots of creatures, sure, but also stuff to smash da PUNY smarty mages. Guteral Response, Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, in case someone tries to give you the business. Decimate, Hull Breach, etc to tear down what they built, Stranglehold to prevent further fuckery plus the best flavor text in the game.
>>
>>51458468
>>51455575
I just read the stax part of your comment. All that stands, I guess, then throw in some stax staples.
>>
>>51456177
Hilarious in Phenax
>>
cards that DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT need a ban because they are perfectly on the power curve

>gaea's cradle
>mishra's workshop
>mana drain
>mana crypt
>sol ring
>food chain
>>
>>51458110
>woman has perpetual bad luck
>mindraped by Kozilek
>overshadowed in lore by gideon
>got shitty work for most of her life
>fuckin new wotc amirite

Fuck off. People forget that there's always been strong ladies in mtg
>>
>>51455284
Yes counterspells are annoying if you aren't prepared for them. That's why I run stuff like vedalken orrery, dragonlord dromoka or grand abolisher

>>51456437
If you lost to that shit you definetely deserved it because if your deck was "better" you must have played like utter shit.
There are no excuses for losing like that
>>
>>51458712
>>If you lost to that shit you definetely deserved it because if your deck was "better" you must have played like utter shit.
>There are no excuses for losing like that

i was land screwed most of the game, and when i did attack, i attacked the guys who were actually putting stuff on their board

i did disrupt one of his combo pieces but he tutored it back up again and that was that
>>
>>51458110
>>51458178
>>51458192
>>51458208
>>51458228
>>51458235
I just can't believe I've had the card as long as I've had it and and never realized it was a woman.
>>
>>51458186
I broke down and bought crucible of worlds one day. Everything is cheap in comparison now.
>>
>>51458749
So it was just bad luck
Why do you seem so upset then?
>>
>>51458797
Oh, yeah, I get that too sometimes. It's a bit tricky, especially when the art is small and androgynous like hers.
>>51458934
Well, if a guy loses to bad luck, I can kind of see how it would be annoying to just go "you played like shit and your deck is shit B^) deal with it bitch"
>>
File: Assassinate_10E.jpg (52KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Assassinate_10E.jpg
52KB, 312x445px
>>51451395
I like the flavor of this card
>>
I just need another six cards for my Edric flying man deck and I don't want any more counterspells. Any ideas?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-01-17-edric/
>>
>>51459071
Pretty cool flavor, but you may as well just use royal assassin.
>>
File: Image.ashx (2).jpg (22KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx (2).jpg
22KB, 223x310px
>>51450686
straight, sweet, to the point.
>>
>>51459188
cyclonic rift
triumph of the hordes
biomass mutation
sol ring (pretty good card, considering adding for most edh decks)
Cloak and Dagger
krosan grip
capsize
>>
>>51458549
I play Food Chain in my Experiment Kraj deck
>>
>>51459258
he already has biomass mutation tho
>>
>>51459318
didnt realize it was an instant

psychosis crawler then
>>
>>51459188
My own Edric deck is, frankly, shit, but I like running Docent of Perfection. Oh, Talrand would probably good in it, too. Make flying dudes whenever you attack someone.
>>
>>51459374
>Make flying dudes whenever you attack someone.
counter something*
fuck this I'm going to bed
>>
File: 143.jpg (41KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
143.jpg
41KB, 312x445px
>>51451395
>liking Murder's Flavor text
Man, it's one of the few cards that looks better without it.
>>
>>51459374
>>51459258
Thanks for the suggestions. I will work something out.
>>
>>51458549
>turn 2 win with Food Chain with a good draw
>turn 4 win with a bad draw
>food chain isn't the problem
Is Tazri the problem then, or Kalastria Healer, or maybe Hagra Diabolist?
>>
>>51458984
He already seemed upset when he posted his story not just after i called him out for whining
I mean if a new deck enters the meta it's clear you can't play as you usually do because you don't know what it does
>>
>>51455578
Trump pls go
>>
File: 1484521771718.gif (661KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1484521771718.gif
661KB, 400x225px
>>51457103
I knew a guy like that. Played him with him once and after that i never played with him unless he used a different deck. Takes so long to shuffle when he uses tutors and fetches. In addition, the deck couldn't even be shuffled properly. It was common for the same cards to pop up in the same order as in the previous game. He also gloated when he won with that deck. Fuck that guy and I'm glad he stopped showing up.
>>
>>51459209
I don't use the card anymore. I only used it when i was new to edh but i still like the flavor
>>
can i call a game loss on a guy who puts their mana rocks in the same pile as their lands, and then also keeps their lands (and rocks) in one big pile where it's completely indecipherable how much mana they have open and what lands they actually have

this one guy does it and it's really starting to trigger me. one time i had a vandalblast i couldve used but i saw no rocks so i didn't, and then lo and behold next turn he's fucking around with his sol ring that he hid in his lands
>>
>>51460318
As someone who usually lumps all my mana sources together for the sake of convenience and taking up less space, just ask the dude, he's only a douche if he doesn't comply to show his board, in which case you really shouldn't play with him. I personally get more triggered by people who insist on not stacking any cards at all and take up half the table because of it.
>>
>>51460318
A player doesn't have to assist you with determining the nature or amount of objects in a non-hidden zone, but they can't hinder you either. Hindering is against the rules, and would get you disqualified if you kept doing it in a tournament.

You could also be a cheeky fuck. And ask what the name and status of all those objects in a public zone are, making the process of figuring out what he has tapped and untapped such a long and annoying process that he quits his bullshit to save time.

Or you can tell him to stop being a dick. If he keeps being a dick, decline to play with him. When he asks you why, tell him that it's because he's a dick.
>>
>>51460318
You could have asked him if he had any mana rocks or remember his plays. If you asked and he said no, then fuck that guy.
>>
>>51460636
If he asks about artifacts everyone at the table knows he has artifact destruction on his hand. The only feasible solution is to force autists to not put their cards in a giant pile.
>>
>>51460502
>You could also be a cheeky fuck. And ask what the name and status of all those objects in a public zone are, making the process of figuring out what he has tapped and untapped such a long and annoying process that he quits his bullshit to save time.
This. If you've politely asked him to not do this and he continues to do so, just smile politely and ask him to name and give the status of his entire board every time he ends a phase. If and when he gets salty about it, politely suggest that he separate his cards so as not to require clarification. He'll piss and moan, but as long as you maintain the high ground and stay polite, he'll look like the jackass that he is.
>>
So here's the deal /EDH/; Commander night at one of my LGS uses a points system and they've started piling on the negative points. A lot of my decks are very combo focused, and winning via infinite combo and taking more than 3 turns in a row now have a lot of negative points tied to them. I need a commander whose fun to play but can still win, but that won't take a lot if extra turns and isn't as combo focused, or at the very least not infinite combo. I also love building decks with very little used commanders, legendaries that everybody at the table will need to read before the game starts and probably several more times during the game. Other neg points include destroying land bases, killing people before turn 5, and not playing your commander the entire game. Plus points are all over there board, including dealing 10 or more damage to yourself at once, eliminating players, eliminating the entire table including yourself at once, drawing more than 10 cards at once, having 2 or more combats in a turn, killing someone with commander damage, killing somebody with a 1/1, killing someone with 1 point of life loss, saving yourself or another player from dying, and having a creature of a crashing P/T. I'm sick of eating neg points and I feel like building something new and fun. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 247.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
247.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>51461372
Build Timmy Trample Tribal.
>>
>>51460318
I see no problem with putting mana rocks with lands because if you're running enough then it's extremely inconvenient to have them all over the board. Not tapping lands is bullshit though, I always keep my lands and rocks in tiered piles of 3 unless I have so many lands and rocks that I can no longer keep them on the board that way effectively. Then I'll have a tapped pile and an untapped spread out line.
>>
>>51461446
But that's sooooo boooorrrriiiinnngggg
>>
>>51461372
Is stax penalized?
>>
File: Image.png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
131KB, 223x311px
>>51450488
I simply can't resist that specific targeting
>>
File: hakim.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
hakim.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>51461372
Do something different.

See how many mono-blue auras you can fit in a deck and still win.
>>
File: 197759.crop.hq.jpg (53KB, 418x305px) Image search: [Google]
197759.crop.hq.jpg
53KB, 418x305px
I'm going to start building my first commander deck next week with Omnath as the commander. Would I be going wrong with building the deck around elves that can tap for green along with other ramp?
>>
>>51461372
Alesha.
Master of Cruelties technically isn't a combo, nor infinite. Just recurable. Same with Raving Dead, and exiling stuff permanently with Fiend Hunter.

She's really fun, really fast, and flies under the radar.
>>
File: 1482734041320.png (874KB, 909x541px) Image search: [Google]
1482734041320.png
874KB, 909x541px
Anyone in this bitch play competitive EDH? Im looking to either play bant foodchain with derevi at the helm for control oooooor I think 4 color alluren also sounds pretty fun. What do yall play? Any suggestions?
>>
>>51461662
There are both much better commanders for elves and much better decks for Omnath. That being said, I can see the appeal and you could probably do worse.
>>
>>51461196
That's why i said to remember that guy's plays.
>>
>>51461770
Just play legacy.
Don't play competitive edh, it's all combos and tutors and redundant answers. Just play legacy and get some diversity.
>>
>>51458534

Man... a friend built a deck with him + nothing but defenders/mill spells. Fucking crazy how fast this deck can empty my library

>>51461662

Eh... he's not too great, man. Especially for that price

>>51461825
>Just play legacy and get some diversity.

It's crazy how this is the mindset, now. Vintage/legacy/Modern are all about drawing into/tutoring for your win-con, and EDH was supposed to be the wild and crazy and always-different game. Now people that play EDH just draw into/tutor for their win-cons too.

I mean, I get it. "Do whatever it takes to win" n all, but damn, man.
>>
>>51461825
I am a 20 yo college student. I cant afford that.
>>
>>51461855
I see what you mean. That's why i try to build decks with different strategies and power levels. I like playing in fast paced metas but the casual games still have their charm
>>
Are there any other cards that copy triggered abilities like Strionic Resonator?

I'm looking at Krond the Dawn-Clad and I just want to copy the shit out of that attacking trigger like >>51455105 says
>>
File: 1479601937181.jpg (594KB, 1944x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1479601937181.jpg
594KB, 1944x1944px
>>51461772
Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

>>51461855
Right on. I'm just enamored with the idea of turning mana into big, stompy green thing.
>>
>>51461911
I enjoy casual like 2 hour games with my friends but my meta is very competitive and I got spiked hard last time I went so I built Boonweaver and held my own. But thats boring so Im looking for more fun creautre based combo decks.
>>
File: 1485642013077.png (446KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1485642013077.png
446KB, 1000x1500px
>>51461874
Then you can't afford competitive EDH. The manabases run OG duals, Timetwisters, Yawgmoth's Wills, Vampiric, demonic, and Grim Tutors.

I have Tazri food chain and it is the most boring EDH deck I own, and it wins on turn 3 almost every game. If you can afford a competitive EDH deck you can afford Legacy Burn, Death and Taxes, and even Turbo Depths.

I'm saying this for your own good, no one will want to play comp edh with you after a few games. The format is meant to be casual.
>>
>>51461952

Really, if you're set on him, just make sure you have a bunch of cards for trample/etc. No use having a big green stompy thing if you just get chump blocked every single turn.

>>51461997
>no one will want to play comp edh with you after a few games

Hah, yep. There are guys at my LGS who no one touches because of their stupid-powerful decks. No point in playing when your opponent goes infinite on turn 2-3
>>
File: 1482690192381.jpg (67KB, 960x923px) Image search: [Google]
1482690192381.jpg
67KB, 960x923px
>>51461997
I dont run duels and I usually play creature based combo decks to get around using the super expensive tutors. It's also not like I dont already own some good cards...

And I said in another post in the thread that Im going spiky cause my local meta is spiky. I own most of Derevi stax, played boonweaver combo, and Sidisi HermitLab. I own a lot of good creautres already. Why I asked about 2 creature combo decks.
>>
>>51462067
Have you thought about just directly addressing your meta and asking if they can crank it down a bit, or maybe build some lower decks? My meta has a fun little event every now and then where we cobble together a <$100 deck and go full jank. They may find working with limited resources to be really fun.
>>
>>51462146
>where we cobble together a <$100 deck and go full jank

And here I am, unable to afford decks over 25bux. Can't even imagine how mind-blowing piloting an expensive/competitive deck would be
>>
>>51462146
The thing is I joined a pretty tightly knit group and am still very new. These guys have enjoyed playing like this for years and Id feel shitty asking them to stop just for me so Id like to join.
>>
>>51462198

just boring. the same 3 turns in every game.
>>
I just got a sword of feast and famine and a sword of fire and ice. should I add them to my sigarda deck and if yes what should I cut?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sigardas-angels-and-humans/
>>
>>51462215
>>51462198
Some people think its boring but I think its fun and clearly so do these people.
>>
what draw cards should i use in Aurelia?
>>
>>51462205
Simply bring the idea up. If these people are big spikes, they might try it just for the challenge of getting as competitive as possible within limits.
>>
File: Necromancer CONCERN.jpg (25KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
Necromancer CONCERN.jpg
25KB, 480x433px
>>51459933
anyone know what the guy to the right is playing? or what the argument was about?
>>
>>51462302
Its a boogie2988 video
>>
>>51462215
>>51462246

I can see the appeal to it, honestly. Much quicker games, rather than the 1-2 hour long slugfests that some EDH games can become

>>51462302

I'm pretty sure it's just boogie, doing what boogie does.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/allegiance-to-the-throne/

Need help fleshing out Alesha's strategy
>>
>>51461372
So you can take five combats in one turn, but not three turns in a row? Oh and no infinite combos, but drawing your entire deck in one turn is ok? I'd recommend Wort, the Raidmother. She makes big spellslinging plays without going infinite.
>>
Any suggestions for a new player that has an atraxia precon and not much money to invest into? A lot of folks at my LGS have super competitive decks, and my pals do as well. I'm just looking for something that will win me 1/5 games, I guess. I have all the cards for a decent infect deck (And some possible commanders in Vorinclex, Gonti, Sheoldred that I got from a garage sale/prerelease) but am looking for other options.
Thanks in advance.
>>
File: The truth is out there.jpg (290KB, 1500x1001px) Image search: [Google]
The truth is out there.jpg
290KB, 1500x1001px
>>51462325
>>51462330
>Its a boogie2988 video
oh okay that's a relief. Please don't tell me this kinda thing actually happens
>>
>>51461530
Not really, but specific things like Contamination qualify as "wrecking" mana bases. They're huge whiny babies about their lands.
>>
>>51462477
If you want to good on a budget, Trash ataxa for ghave, there's an anon in this thread with a really good budget list. or even better just build a mono color deck like purphoros, God of the forge. He can be build for like 20$
>>
>>51462448
Yeah since of the rules are pretty arbitrary like that. Part of what I want to do is build a deck that just farms points and skirts around those specific rules because I've been trying to get them to change to the point sheets to be less punishing towards totally legitimate strategies.
>>
Went to a event a few weekends back, people got salty over a Arcum Dagsson deck. What things could I put in my yidris storm deck to attempt to solve this salt? Would I be better with Ezuri, Mikeaus or something else.
>>
>>51462477
Use Sheoldred, probably. Monocolor is easier to build for, and Black is a great place to start.
Theres some tutors that cost a bit, but you can forgo them for now. Edhrec is your buddy.
>>
>>51462618
That's probably what I'm going to do. The infect deck list I was looking at would cost ten bucks to finish off (Minus buying blightsteel but fuck $26). So I'll make a variant of that, then make a Ghave deck as well.

>>51462748
I unfortunately don't have many good black cards, but I'll look into doing something with her.
>>
>>51462748
Not him but whats a good way to build sheoldred? Big black mana and etbs? I want to make a reanimator deck but im not sure who i want to run. I'm considering tasigur also since he is the value train to value town imo.
>>
File: images-3.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images-3.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>51461662
Longtime Timmy green mage here. Let me help you out.

Omnath is a whole different beast then just elves (or 'elfball'). While monogreen does come down to creating large amounts of mana and creatures, how you use this to your advantage differs between each commander you can choose in the colour.

The OG plays more like a big mana/green devotion deck which rather goes large then wide. Think of cards like Momentous Fall, Genesis Wave or Eldrazi. Or just pressuring opponents with a gigantic general as your beatstick.

It basically comes down to what structure you want to ramp in your first turns. Elves functions best as a 1-3-5 deck. What this means is T1 manadork, T2 rampdork (ie. Wood Elves) and turn a turn three 5-drop (ie. Freyalise as CMD). This also helps the synergies within your deck. Drawing some 1-to-3 mana elves works better with cards like Survival, Regal Force or Ezuri.

For Omnath, I find, 2-4-6 works better. Ie. Nature's Lore into Harmonize into Mana Reflection. Once your ramp is done, you can start dropping into a boardstate that requires answering when it hits the table.
>>
>player plays paradox engine and has a mana rock
>he plays his library

gg wp, thanks wotc i really love these new cards
>>
>>51463299
Same way you build every other monoblack nonjank. Stuff every staple there, Sheoldred is epitome of a goodstuff deck, so there's really no secret tech.
>>
>>51463349
It's a time-honored tradition for something to always be busted with artifact sets.
>>
File: 1484275734371.jpg (31KB, 325x346px) Image search: [Google]
1484275734371.jpg
31KB, 325x346px
> just ordered a bunch of cards for my new deck
> forgot to add the card sleeves to my order
> now I won't get free shipping because the card sleeves are too cheap

Just kill me now families

Anyway, what's some spicy tech for Zirilan?
>>
>>51463393
Lessee a list
>>
>>51463299
You put in a bunch of mana doublers and big fat creatures into your deck. Beyond that it's just what black is already good at. Draw cards, control the board, find Exsanguinate and cast it for like 30.
>>
>>51461997
If you skimp on duals you can quite easily build turbo depths for around 200-400 bucks though. Duals aren't that necessary for the decks, they just help. Not to mention that turbodepths gets a lot of mileage out of the green spirit guide and lotus petals, which means that your manabase is slightly less important.
>>
>>51455093
wow git gud daughter holy shittttt
>>
how is food chain in Sultai Sidisi?
>>
>>51463589
Yeah, thats why I put I in the realm of budget as D&T and Legacy Burn. D&T can get the price down for only a slight hit to performance, and burn is just cheap in general.
>>
>>51456784
when people tell me my 1/1 death-touch deck wouldn't top,topped 4 times,once beating a deck with a 300$ side deck, this was in threos standard.
>>
>>51464315
wtf did it run? did it cheese hornet nest?
>>
>>51462477
atraxa out of the box is actually pretty good. i would throw any extra money at the mana base, add some pain or shock lands. other than that pick up stuff like that new snake from aether revolt, ridgescale tuskar, and basically any cheap 1/1 matters cards (there are a ton of them). eventually you can upgrade into super friends or stax or something if you want

or just build goblins with kreno at the helm, that shit is like 50 bucks for the whole thing
>>
>>51458549
Why is mana drain even a consideration? Of course it doesn't need banning
>>
>>51463412

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-01-17-zirilan/

Sorry I took so long, I took off all the cards that I already owned so I could just order off the list, and now I can't remember exactly what all I had on it. Maybeboard is expensive cards that I want to add eventually.
>>
>>51464315
Good on you. People laugh at athreos skeleton tribal too, and then it kills them. Or at least it makes them work hard.
>>
>>51464757
Because the spell is bah-roken. In any format, anytime.
>>
How worth it would Merciless Eviction be in an Alesha deck? The main threat in my playgroup is a super annoying Breya deck that my housemate spent $150 upgrading when the rest of us have precons and <$50 budget decks, and I'm wondering if the high cost is worth the versatility. At the moment I'm also running vandalblast and return to dust, but really need more to deal with artifacts/indestructible artifacts.
>>
>>51464984
Yes it's good removal
>>
>>51464984
Eviction is powerful in almost any Mardu strategy. For Alesha, it depends on what you want to be bringing out from the grave and how aggressive your deck is, but it's a safe pick that gives you some flexibility.
>>
>>51464955
>anytime
Wrong. Mana burn used to be a thing
>>
>>51465600
>nominally balances Sol Ring, Mana Drain, Mana Crypt, and any number of busted bullshit
Why did they ever get rid of it?
>>
>>51465620
player's feels
>>
What's your spiciest tech for an overused commander that you make your version unique with?
>>
>>51465013
>>51465461
Thanks, just needed the confirmation that it was viable. I'm notoriously bad at judging how useful cards will be. Incidentally, if I'm completely fucking sick of +1/+1 counters after playing New Ezuri for so long, what's something scary I can drop in a goblin-spamming Alesha deck besides Cathar's Crusade?
>>
>>51465620
It was just barely ever relevant.
Decks back then didn't care about mana burn either.
>>
File: Image (22).png (113KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (22).png
113KB, 223x311px
>>51465647
combos really well in my Boros deck, particularly with Sneak Attack, Feldon, and RW Nahiri
>>
>>51465838
derp not feldon, Aurelia is who i meant
>>
>>51465675
True conviction, ankle Shanker are options, and Master of Cruelties or Raving Dead for the surprise kill.
>>
>>51465675
It's not really very good, but I personally have always thought it would be hilarious to surprise kill somebody with a reanimated attacking Wall of Blood
>>
>What's your opinion when it comes to including removal? How do you balance between advancing your game plan and having answers?

I probably don't run enough of it, to be honest.
>>
>>51450488
Nobody in my playgroup runs more than nominal artifact/enchantment hate and it drives me mad.
I personally think that I have enough in each deck but it's a pain in the ass to have people always relying on me instead of dealing with things themselves.
>>
>>51466141
Start running pillowfort stax. That should change their tune pretty quick
>>
>>51466168
My U/W flicker deck is showing signs of becoming more aggressive, so it might come to that eventually, but I'd rather not run outright stax, i.e., Brago Winter Orb. I just hope it doesn't have to come to that.
>>
File: Image (23).jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (23).jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>51466168
>>51466215
speaking of stax, my favorite way for getting out from under a potential lock

Fuck you Contamination. Fuck. You
>>
>>51450488
i put in way too many board wipes and not enough spot removal, my play group gets pissed about it because they lose all their shit ever 3 turns
>>
If I made a Discord for us, would y'all use it?
>>
>>51466687
Go away.
>>
>>51466687
doubt it, discords are cancer incarnate
>>
>>51466687
WE HAVE A DISCORD
>>
File: Mileena.jpg (375KB, 1280x1415px) Image search: [Google]
Mileena.jpg
375KB, 1280x1415px
>>51466687
No. 4chan is anonymous for a reason. We don't need a fucking discord, especially when the thread is slow as shit sometimes anyway.

Bad idea, don't do it.
>>
>>51457175
I'm going to guess. ..

Profit/kmc thin sleeve, dragon shield, hard sleeve, ziplock bag?
>>
>>51467502
I'd guess perfect sleeve, dragon shield, character guard sleeve then top loader.
>>
Daxos stax or Oloro lifegain, which should I build next?
>>
>>51468369
Daxos. There's a bunch of oloro already
>>
I only have room for one more in my OG Sigarda Enchantress deck.

Since I literally only have 2 instants, should I pick City of Solitude, or Dragonlord Dromoka for anti-counterspells?
>>
>>51468459
Is grand abolisher already in there?
>>
>>51469507
Yes.
>>
>>51468459
Decklist? I have an OG Siggy enchantress deck but it's a lot more aura/voltron focused than just general enchantments.
>>
>>51469820
sorry to disappoint, its also an aura/voltron deck. I mentioned Enchantress because those cards are my main card engines for this deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/claiomh-solais-1/
>>
File: 1334715898726.jpg (50KB, 312x387px) Image search: [Google]
1334715898726.jpg
50KB, 312x387px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-a-r-k-f-a-n-t-a-s-y/

Hows this looking? I have the final mana doubler, Gauntlet of Power in the mail. Got advice on making room for it?
>>
>>51469896
No disappointment, anon. I've been having trouble trying to optimize mine and trim it down. I'm awful at deckbuilding so it's always nice to see other's decks for comparison.
>>
>>51464757
in a situation where it's 2 tuned decks against each other, mana drain will basically win the game on the spot

it's also outright the best counterspell in the game, except maybe for force of will (which should probably be banned too anyway). there's no reason not to include mana drain in any deck that runs blue
>>
>>51470348
I wouldn't say it's outright the best counterspell in the game, other than force, pact of negation is also a strong contender just because it's easier to defend your combos.

It's also only good if you can use the tempo boost it gives you. I think most of the draw counters are better in edh desu. Cryptic command is probably the best one in the format for its versatility.
>>
>>51470395
"it's only good if..."
no

it's a 2 mana spell that is basically a counterspell (which is a really good spell in itself) except it can also ramp you like crazy. it's not on curve
>>
>>51470395
>>51470500
actually i thought you were trying to argue that it's a balanced spell, but you were just saying that it's not necessarily the best counterspell. i don't personally care which one is the 'best' because so many of them are just straight up busted
>>
File: seacreatures.png (227KB, 480x307px) Image search: [Google]
seacreatures.png
227KB, 480x307px
anyone have experience with Bruna, Light of Alabaster? How is she? She seems fun and unique
>>
>>51470348
>there's no reason not to include mana drain in any deck that runs blue
>no reason
How about the $150-200 price tag? I could buy almost an entire EDH deck for that.
>>
File: received_1112735205459293.jpg (5KB, 217x242px) Image search: [Google]
received_1112735205459293.jpg
5KB, 217x242px
I have a little story about a game I played this weekend

Loosing your friends 101

>be me playing superfriends, my two other friends play Gitgud and atraxa precon
>at 4 hp and a Narset with emblem in play
>both have creatures in play and are ready to attack on their next turn
>my turn, draw a card, an island. Fuckfuckfuck
> use Narset Transcendants +1 abilty.
>Top deck a fucking cyclonic rift
>mylongestyeaboiever.jpg
> pass round, they throw cards to be able to kill me the next turn
>my turn I have tamiyo in play and pop her ult. Once again i topkek end hostilities.
>this gone be gudd, use end hostlities and get it back to my hand.
>Next turn I'll be able to pop Ajanis ult resulting in them getting all their lands destroyed
>be me with two friends fewer
>>
File: 1424995843430.png (1MB, 680x381px) Image search: [Google]
1424995843430.png
1MB, 680x381px
>>51470955
>Narset players
>>
>>51470999
My commander is Child of Alara, but I play with the Planeswalker Narset
>>
new thread, i made it just for you :3

>>51471057
>>
>>51470763
why should the price tag come into play into the banning discussion at all?
>>
>>51457828
Orzhov, because they're heebs and stuff
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.