[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wh40k/firefly clusterfuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: download (5).jpg (7KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
7KB, 182x276px
Considering/planning a largely homebrew kinda-in-40k universe rpg where players take on the role of a firefly-esque bounty hunter or profiteer on the wrong side of the imperium. Some allowances to setting will have to be made to add more character to the civilian culture of the grim darkness. No astartes pcs allowed. Things will be balanced around the existing wh40k Statline system - I hope this will make the experience less about long combat sequences and more about good heist planning/ pc craftiness.

Questions:

Should (human) pcs be able to become astartes?

Should the law enforcement be the arbites or the classic interpretation of marines as badass space cops?

Should the dark eldar fill the role of reavers or a little unsettling but mostly goodcunt party bros?

Are slaneesh worshipping astartes or tyranids be the scariest thing in the 'verse?

What non-tabletop races or factions should be considered as still significant in universe forces?

Should xenos be rarer to place emphasis on the interactions with law enforcement or more common to accentuate the 40k flavor?

How tough should a single astartes be for the party to take down?

Is /tg interested enough for me to keep yall posted as I try to develop this mess of a system?

Should (human)
>>
>>51441697
>Should (human) pcs be able to become astartes?
No. Not unless they're fine with retiring the character or have them return as npcs many, many years later.

>Should the law enforcement be the arbites or the classic interpretation of marines as badass space cops?
Make it Arbites or whatever the local system's got for void law enforcement. I'd keep Space Marines a once-in-a-blue-moos kinda thing.

>Should the dark eldar fill the role of reavers or a little unsettling but mostly goodcunt party bros?
They should be scary as fuck. Eldar corsairs can be the other thing, sometimes.

>Are slaneesh worshipping astartes or tyranids be the scariest thing in the 'verse?
It's a pretty big galaxy so don't feel like you have to follow the retarded, lazy path of making everything about marines and chaos. There are countless minor factions and races between the stars held by the Imperium.

>What non-tabletop races or factions should be considered as still significant in universe forces?
Same answer as above.

>Should xenos be rarer to place emphasis on the interactions with law enforcement or more common to accentuate the 40k flavor?
Depends on where the players are. Closer to Imperial space means more interactions with law enforcement, and the further out you go, the more xenos you find.

>How tough should a single astartes be for the party to take down?
Really, really though. Pointing your ship's guns at him still gets you a dead astartes if you don't miss though.

>Is /tg interested enough for me to keep yall posted as I try to develop this mess of a system?
I am at least.
>>
>>51441697

So how closely do you want to base this on the existing 40k or Firefly rpgs? Mechanically I mean? For instance the marine question could be answered by just porting over the stats from the existing RPGs to an extent, since it is possible to roll marines and average joes in that, so it could give you an idea, but then you're just re-skinning it and that doesn't sound like what you are going for.
>>
I really do appreciate having another opinion going into this whole thing. At a glance I can pretty much say I agree with you on all accounts. At first I was leaning towards having the sort of classic rogue trader space marine as the cops but I think that having marines be really scary impact players in imperial sectors that only show up when someone really wants a pc dead will make for a more engaging and threatening setting like you said.
>another question:
How many liberties do you think I should take with the fluff of imperial sectors? As of current everything seems way to oppressed for an outlaw type setting to flourish, but I also don't want to lose the imperium being total dickwads.
>>
>So how closely do you want to base this on the existing 40k or Firefly rpgs? Mechanically I mean?

I'm not sure really. As I said in the original post I thought I could get away with just stealing and maybe up scaling the regular tabletop 40k statline system, but you're solution may be better. I haven't really looked into existing systems for those games yet but I'll put it on my to do list. Me and my group personally enjoy games with as simple combat as possible, as everyone there loves a good standoff, heist or negotiation so I'm thinking most of the rules are gonna end up in technology/weapons expertise.
>>
>>51441697
YOU MEAN ROGUE TRADER?

BECAUSE YOU'RE FUCKING PLAYING ROGUE TRADER
>>
>>51441995
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY

GODDAMMIT OP LEARN YOUR SHIT
>>
Haha I was aware of rogue trader but I'm trying to build some rules that work as a less dense rpg. A rogue trader-lite if you will that's a little more malleable in regards to the universe.
>>
>>51441899
>How many liberties do you think I should take with the fluff of imperial sectors? As of current everything seems way to oppressed for an outlaw type setting to flourish, but I also don't want to lose the imperium being total dickwads.
That's just another symptom of the writers being lazy incompetents. The Imperium of Man if mindbogglingly huge, and even if most fans and writers have drunk the cool-aid, the Imperium does not have squat under control. There's always another problem for them to solve, another battle form them to fight, somewhere else they really need to be. And while they may have numberless bodies to throw at all of these problems, they only have so many ships (some ridiculously low number for a galactic empire I'm sure). All your guys' have to do is be less of a head-ache than the inevitable one that will pop up.
>>
>>51442044
Or he can just stick his game in Tau space and have it be set against the backdrop of the impending crusade. In true Firefly fashion maybe the PCs are ex imperials who were abandoned.
>>
>>51442042
>Rules light
Lasers and Feelings then
>>
>Or he can just stick his game in Tau space
I like this a lot. You can even do your browncoats arc prior to the more world-wise pcs turning to smuggling.
>>
File: rikerraugh.gif (1000KB, 315x236px) Image search: [Google]
rikerraugh.gif
1000KB, 315x236px
>>51441697
>yfw Book is the Emprah
>>
>>51442042
I mean, it still sounds like you're playing as Rogue Traders.
>>
>>51441697
>Should (human) pcs be able to become astartes?
No.

>Should the law enforcement be the arbites or the classic interpretation of marines as badass space cops?
Arbites for ground cops. Imperial Navy for chasing smugglers.

>Should the dark eldar fill the role of reavers or a little unsettling but mostly goodcunt party bros?
DE would make good reavers, but Chaos would be more appropriate as reavers in the Firefly series had once been men.

>Are slaneesh worshipping astartes or tyranids be the scariest thing in the 'verse?
Nids are just big bugs. Chaos should be scarier, especially Chaos Space Marines.

>What non-tabletop races or factions should be considered as still significant in universe forces?
Non-imperial/non-chaos aligned humans, see http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Meritech_Clans for an example.

>Should xenos be rarer to place emphasis on the interactions with law enforcement or more common to accentuate the 40k flavor?
Rare. A) Firefly doesn't have aliens at all. B) In the 40K universe most humans would know next to nothing about aliens and would have very little contact with them.

>How tough should a single astartes be for the party to take down?
Very based on fluff.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.