[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got a Mutants and Masterminds question for you, super-friends.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: JamesGif1.gif (5MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
JamesGif1.gif
5MB, 640x360px
Got a Mutants and Masterminds question for you, super-friends.

First, how exactly does Alternate Effect work? It seems like you could have four or five different attacks for the same point cost. Is this intentional?

Second, is it customary to max out your defensive skills? It seems like it's very easy to do so.
>>
>>51439205
>First, how exactly does Alternate Effect work?
You can have an alternative effect up to the cost/ranks of the primary effect - cost of the alternate effect is 1pp plus extras

You can only use one effect at a time so if you had Enhanced Strength 5 with an alternate effect of Enhanced Toughness 5 you could only have one active at a time
>>
>>51439285
So does that mean you could buy a whole bunch of alternate attack powers that are worth the same amount of points? You'd only use one per turn anyways.
>>
>>51439412
Yes.
>>
>>51439285
>1 PP plus Extras
Extras are part of the base cost.

The AP costs 1 PP. That's it.

>>51439412
And yes, this is fully intended.

This modifier allows you to “swap-out” the effect for an entire
other, alternate, effect! For example, a Damage effect
with the descriptor of “laser” might have a visual Dazzle
as an Alternate Effect: the same light beam can be used
to damage or blind a target, just not both at once. Think
of Alternate Effects as different “settings” for a power. (For
combinations of effects that work simultaneously, see the
Linked modifier in this section.) A set of Alternate Effects
is called an array.
>>
>>51439456
Doesn't seem like much of a draw back. Then again that's in the theme of heroes, to have lots of different attack powers and blasts.

Any suggestion for bad guy design? I'm making a fire-breathing jet plane monster. And how about the maximum defense?
>>
File: 1337487531664.png (214KB, 454x426px) Image search: [Google]
1337487531664.png
214KB, 454x426px
Bump for spandex.
>>
>>51439205
My players don't really like this system's combat at all, one of the biggest overall complaints being that they don't know how effective they're attacks are because I roll resistances in secret or that the rolls are too "swingy".

I personally think its my fault as a beginner GM for fucking some numbers up and trying to end combat quickly so that I could get to the roleplaying part they all like.

How do I advertise this system's strength the best?
>>
>>51439934
>they don't know how effective they're attacks are because I roll resistances in secret or that the rolls are too "swingy"
Can't you tell them through narration how much damage they are approximately doing?

>one the the players punches an enemy but doesn't do much damage
>"your punch didn't move the enemy at all, he seems unphased"

>another player shoots lasers at it which do a lot of damage
>"the lasers leave scorch marks on the enemies skin, he's reeling from the pain"
>>
File: Jin-Ruh-Roh.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Jin-Ruh-Roh.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>51441242
His players might be the type that tune out all the fluff and only care about the crunch

I can't count the number of times my players have missed cool shit because they where only paying attention to the damage numbers and missed all the hints I was giving them
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.