[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 47

File: Illithid.jpg (359KB, 1000x1375px) Image search: [Google]
Illithid.jpg
359KB, 1000x1375px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html
>>
300 Ravenloft monsters for any horror game.

https://mega.nz/#!XU4Rgb4S!6N0rvBs3pSlftxx_-g5DkTAwWmtyWxSwfB9ppWJPSrk
>>
File: UA_ModernMagic.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA_ModernMagic.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51438113

Is there any homebrew that expands on the Modern Magic UA?
>>
File: Poisons.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Poisons.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Just posted this into the dying thread, like a faggot.

In short...

One of my players is gonna be playing an assassin in our upcoming game, and we both want to play around with poison and the poisoner's kit, so I tossed this together as an rough sketch.

I want poisons to be available to him but don't want them to become trivial or overused. I also don't want them to be impractically expensive or time-consuming to prepare (so the standard crafting rules had to go... 20 days and 100 gp to make a basic poison that sells for... 100 gp).
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJ7-FoKwl

Anyone care to give me feedback on this? I've tried to balance the Incite rage around one use per creature per long rest, but it still feels a bit much. Thoughts?
>>
>>51438162

Those intelligence check DCs are probably somewhat high unless you want him to be blowing stacks of gold failing to brew potions, or he's fairly high level.
>>
>Decide to run a one-off session with a group of friends
>Characters are goofy but not outrageous: Monk pro wrestler, Bard as his promoter, Kenku rogue, Human dual-weilding shields
>Last friend comes up, notorious for playing pathfinder forever, pitches his idea
"Hey it says here that Air Genasi can hold their breath forever. Can I hide in a bag of holding then?"
>After a while, he becomes "The bag of holding, with a gun"

I have a good feeling about this one-off session
>>
>>51438138
Goddamn hopefully, senpai. There's a page on the Wizards site about firearms proficiency and modern world armor:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign
>>
>>51438186
Hmmm. I think make it target allies only. Simplifies things a bit. Other than that, I have a gut feeling that Bardic Inspiration number of uses is a bit much. Might want to scale down the effect somewhat.

Or make it a once per est use area effect. That would be neat too.
>>
>>51438238

Would be nice if they had archetypes for the Modern Magic UA. That and I want Necromancy spells for it as well.
>>
>>51438217

Yeah. That's definitely one of the things I'm most unsure about. I'm not sure yet how much to scale them back, though. My other thought was much lower DCs (like 3 or 4 lower than currently) but change the number of doses created to 1 + 1 for every 5 over the DC.
>>
File: 1402014680765.png (7KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1402014680765.png
7KB, 284x284px
sup /tg/ I need some advice

i'm running a oneshoot for my group tomorrow while our DM is on a break for a few weeks. i've got the general idea of my adventure and i've been DMing games of my own for several years now, but I've never specifically run a one-shot before so I don't really know how to pace it or anything

is there some kind of guide or framework I should follow? advice appreciated
>>
>>51438264
There's Modernmagic5 or something like that.
>>
>>51438162
Really cool, although I feel if you fail a DC you should only get one dose. I also have one to add if you want it:

Black Blood (Ingested). This poison is made from the ashes of a dead vampire. A creature subjected to this poison must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, for the next 8 hours when the creature comes into direct contact with sunlight is takes 14 (4d6) fire damage.
>>
Goblins as some sort of fungal unseelie fey counterpart to flowery, seelie Gnomes.

Neat? Dumb?
>>
How do I do an anthro animal campaign right? I've fallen in love with the game Armello but I know if I slip up once and add in a whore or something people will start screaming furfag at me.
>>
>>51438384
Stop caring what other people think. Also only run it if all the players are for sure on board.
>>
>>51438362
I like it, but I'd ditch the fungal/flowery theme and make them both earthy creatures.
>>
>>51438384
You don't. Plain and simple.
>>
>>51438390
They seem to be alright with it. Also should I just reskin all races or wait and hear what people want to play and make stats for it.
>>
>>51438410
Reskinning is the easiest and most balanced way.
>>
>>51438384
Fuck off to /pfg/.
>>
>>51438384
Unless you're playing with /5eg/ you should probably be fine.

We're extremely paranoid about being a furry here, for whatever fucking reason. Despite what it may seem, your average person doesn't even register anthro animals as anything worse than a disney cartoon.
>>
>>51438391
I figured since I prefer my Gnomes to be colorful it'd be a decent way to explain the relation, but that works just as well.

I mean Gobbos are faeries in actual mythos anyway, now that I think about it.
>>
Future first time DM. Don't worry I've already asked oodles of questions and lurked for basic questions.

How do you pronounce Genasi?

Also, where can I read more about the Outer Planes ans stuff like the Cities of Brass in the fire plane?
>>
File: Njucto v1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Njucto v1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Speaking of homebrew, I made a thing. Balance/fluff feedback appreciated.
>>
File: the fuck you say.jpg (58KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck you say.jpg
58KB, 640x640px
>>51438471
>not embracing the animality of anthro races
>not playing a curious, agile tabaxi
>not playing an ingenious, mimicking kenku
>not playing a valiant but birdbrained aarakocra
>not playing an unfeeling lizardfolk that loves bugs and laying in the sun
People here don't know how to live.
>>
>>51438384
Play Ironclaw 2e
>>
>>51438299
I like to structure mine as a 3-act play

At least 1 but no more than 2 exploration or interaction
At leat 1 but no more than 2 combat
0-1 Chase or other skill contest
0-2 Puzzles, can be done during fights/exploration

And that's pretty much it, spice up to taste
>>
To go along with the early homebrew posts, here's one of a port of the Swordsage class from 3.5 turned into an archetype for the Monk in 5e. Balance feedback appreciated.
>>
File: warlock ritual.png (924KB, 616x747px) Image search: [Google]
warlock ritual.png
924KB, 616x747px
Building an antimage warlock and I was planning on picking up the mage slayer feat and going pact of tome with shillelagh, shocking grasp, and guidance. That way I can eldritch blast fighters and barbarians from a safe distance and go into melee for wizards and fuck their day up. It's all based around the idea of a warlock who was a wizard's apprentice, but succumbed to the dark-side and now seeks to kill wizards and steal their rituals. How viable does this plan seem? Does it look like it will at least be fun to play?
>>
>>51438508
You pronounce it Genasi.

But seriously, say it however you want.
>>
>>51438574
Be sure to have Booming Blade if you insist on going into melee against casters.

>>51438508
Ghen Ah See
>>
>>51438574
Depends on how many spellcasters your DM throws at you.

You can also play it as a sort of 'corporate espionage/hacker' sort of thing. Instead of outright murdering them you ruin their careers by selling their rituals to the highest bidder.
>>
File: IMG_1571.jpg (24KB, 480x243px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1571.jpg
24KB, 480x243px
>when your DM cancels an ongoing campaign that you and several others were enjoying

it was fun while it lasted
>>
>>51438590
T-thanks
>>51438605
Yeehaw, I'm glad I'm right
>>
>>51438073
>what the hell kind of defenses would a Divination Wizard come up with?
Divination especifically? Hm... maybe some trap or effect coupled with Detect Magic, so it triggers when a certain kind of magic is cast or brought near it. A bunch of Arcane Eyes permanently cast in certain rooms as a security camera system.

Also, Guards and Wards! Not a divination spell, but such a cool one.
>>
>>51438605
>Ghen Ah See

Drat. Not who you replied to, but I always see it as "Jen Ah See" because there's a place near by called Genesee, and that's essentially how it's pronounced.
Life is suffering.
>>
So there's this legendary sentient sword that does extra necrotic damage on a hit. I want to add a downside: if the sword hits a creature immune to necrotic, the wielder takes the damage instead, and the creature regains the same number of HP. The idea is that when this sword hits, it has to harvest/eat some life energy to itself.

What's a good name for this feature? What I have now is "Unavoidable Hunger", but it sounds kinda lame.
>>
>>51438679
Why not make it occur more often like just any Undead creatures? It's pretty rare for something to be straight up immune to Necrotic.

Could tickle somebody's reference bone by calling it "Equivalent Exchange"
>>
>>51438699
Because they already fought some undead creatures with it and nothing happened, since I hadn't thought of it yet. And they're about to go through a dungeon filled with necrotic immunes, too, so I want to see how he'll deal with with a drawback on the weapon that he now relies on. Equivalent Exchange sounds cool, if it were related to constructs or mechanical stuff, but I want something more creepy sounding.
>>
>>51438554
>Quick to Act
Swashbucklers get CHA to Initiative at 3rd, just make this WIS to Initiative.

>Sense Magic
Since this and Quick to Act are ribbons, roll them into one feature

>Weapon Focus
Expertise with a weapon? No. You already have proficiency, this is overkill. The flat damage buff is also just boring. Change this to work better with the main feature. Something like, Signature Technique: Reduce the ki cost of one technique you know by 1.

>Weapon and Body
Again, overkill. You regain ki on a short rest already, this gives you infinite Ki. If you want to keep this make it something like 4 ki back on a critical hit, otherwise change it.

>Burning Blade
Doesn't need to have such high level limitations if you are spending more resources to get a better effect. Drop it a bit.

>Feigned Opening
So you spend Ki... to get hit? Also reactions usually have a trigger, this doesn't, It should.

>Spider Dance
As spider climb is a second level spell, I feel this should cost at least 2.

Cont.
>>
>>51438679
Sounds familiar. Does anyone remember a weapon like this in the DMG? Away from books right now, but I think it was cursed too
>>
>>51438794
That's one of the features of Blackrazor, though IIRC the backlash is if you hit an Undead, not something with necrotic resistance.
>>
>>51438814
Oh. Well you could call it something razor related then, like life shaver.
>>
>>51438794
The weapon I'm talking about is Hazirawn, from Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but I did stole the backlash idea from Blackrazor.
>>
So I have been developing a pair of Dual Rapiers for my party's Assassin. They both require separate attunements what do you guys think?

Distract (Requires Attunement)
+1 Rapier
1d8+1
1d4 Force Damage

As long as the wielder is attuned to Distract they learn the cantrip Booming Blade. During the wielder's turn, a creature attacked by Distract cannot make opportunity attacks against the wielder for the rest of the wielders turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC:18 Wisdom Saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

Deceit (Requires Attunement)
+1 Rapier
1d8+1
1d4 Fire Damage

The attuned wielder learns the cantrip Green Flame Blade. When a creature that is hit by Deceit would deal sneak attack damage you deal additonal 2d6 points of sneak attack damage.Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.

Distract and Deceit

Special Ability: Completion
These weapons are a pair and work best when used together. While dual wielding each weapon becomes a +2 weapon, you can use your ability score modifier on the second attack, and the additional fire and force damage increase to 1d6.
>>
>>51438875
Certainly robust. Mostly depends on what level the character is and whether or not he's getting them at the same time.

Certainly a legendary tier item according to DMG, but when it comes to anything custom made just keep it in mind when designing challenges for them/him.
>>
>>51438912
They might be around level 10 when they get it. I'm running high magic campaign as I had shifted over from Pathfinder. They will get Distract first and have to get Deceit through some rough combat with undead elves and the like.
>>
>>51438875
The save DCs look pretty high. Proccing on a crit will work well with the assassin toolkit, but having to make a high save AFTER getting hit with an absurd amount of dice is just too steep in my opinion. Drop the DC to like a 14. It still punishes a bad roll but doesn't make it something that he'll never see.
>>
>>51438978
Okay! I agree with the DC being a little high. DC:14 sounds reasonable.
>>
>>51438554
>>51438773
>Lightning Slash
So this is kinda like a clerics divine strike, except you spend rescources to do it. I feel like these bonus damage techniques should cost a bonus action to prevent players exploding damage onto people with flurry of blows.

>Bonecrusher
This just seems underwhelming, and is boring, remove it unless it does something new. Why the fuck would anyone take this when Overwhelming Mountain Strike is just better at the same cost? Getting it earlier doesn't matter.

>Sonic Boom
This I like, but it costs way more and deals less than your other damaging techniques. Remember this eats the entire attack action (as you've written it), no second attack. The damage should reflect that, taking the utility into account.

>Broken Shield Strike
So coupled with extra attack this is just 'gain advantage on your second attack if the first hits?' Feels weird. Sure you could help a ally, but this is how its going to go most of the time.

>Radiant Heat
Way too good for 2 ki. This can deal (20d6 x 8) damage if you are surrounded for a minute. Look to the Storm Herald Barbarian UA for damage aura effects.

>Dragon's Flame
Should cost more. Also when do you do this? Is it an action? a Bonus action?

>Blade Flurry
The problem with a lot of these is that you just state 'spend ki.' It should be 'as a bonus action, spend X ki points' or something like that. Blade flurry should cost your action.

>Fool's Strike
Way too good, but as it is costly and comes late I think its fine.

>The Rest
You should look at what spells or features are avaliable to other classes to base your balancing off. Moments in time is kinda weak for this reason, while Kuzuryusen is fucking stupid as fuck, what the hell 9 attacks? With bonus damage? 4 Ki? Whats to stop a monk doing this 4 times, ending the combat and short resting to do it again? A lot of this needs a second look.
>>
>>51438875
Great, Really powerful, Apart from the fact that rapiers aren't light weapons so you couldn't use two-weapon fighting with them. An easy fix though. When duel wielded they count as light weapons.
>>
>>51439041
The Assassin has the Dual Wielder feat. Do you think it's too strong by any chance? Do they cover too much or make anything pointless?
>>
>>51438875
>>51438992
>>51438958
Reading through it I think the bonus force/fire damage is also pretty insane given that this is something you're giving to them at level 10. These are all cool bonuses but putting them all together really adds up:

It's two +1 weapons (become +2), they deal a bonus d4 elemental damage (becomes bonus d6), they give two free cantrips, two on-hit bonuses, AND they force a save on crits (player choice based on situation). This guy will be nuking your encounters left and right.

This is an item I'd give to a player at like level 17-19 (maybe make them +3) in a high magic campaign.

These swords would probably last them the rest of the campaign. If not, you have to think about what the NEXT two weapons you're gonna give to him are, and they have to be even more ridiculous.
>>
File: 1470162163600.jpg (57KB, 425x270px) Image search: [Google]
1470162163600.jpg
57KB, 425x270px
>>51438113
How overpowered is "ignore exhaustion once a day" as a racial ability for a homebrew race? I can think of liek two things that actually cause exhaustion.
>>
I really hope the Mystic comes out after the Wizard UA.
>>
>>51439123
It makes Berserker Barbs able to use Frenzy once per long rest without cost. I'd say that's fairly strong.
>>
Fixing Bladelocks.

Your pact weapon draws from your patron, and more importantly, your own body and soul. Attacks made with your Warlock Pact weapon may use your Constitution in place of their usual stat to hit and damage.

There, Bladelocks are now playable becuse they are not so incredibly MAD, you need Charisma for spells, and Constitution for the odd melee strike, which in turn improves your health.
>>
>>51439123
>ignore exhaustion once a day
For how long?
>>
>>51439123
that's pretty powerful.

Exhaustion is mostly up to the DM, but even the first level of exhaustion (disadv on all skill checks) can be devastating in certain circumstances. That racial would allow players to just ignore exhaustion mechanics unless something causes multiple levels of exhaustion at once.
>>
>Wot4E monks can't even convert their unarmed strikes to elemental damage

Dumb as shit.
>>
>>51438875
My suggestion would be to drop the save DC to 15 and make both target Constitution, and also possibly drop the extra force/fire damage as well. Instead, you could give them some other feature that synergizes with Two Weapon Fighting and the cantrips. Consider this:

>Distract
+1 rapier, you learn Booming Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Distract as part of your action, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

>Deceit
+1 rapier, you learn Green Flame Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Deceit as part of your action, and that attack would deal sneak attack damage, you can roll an extra 2d6 and add it to the sneak attack. Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.

>Distract and Deceit, legendary pair of rapiers
Completion
These weapons are a pair and work best when used together. While dual wielding, each weapon becomes a +2 rapier, you can add your ability score modifier on the off-hand attack, and if you use your action to cast one of the cantrips, you can use your bonus action to make an off-hand attack
>>
>>51439110
Okay, this is what I was worried about. Would you recommend making some of the features appear as time develops in the campaign, like an awakening mechanic? Like I could drop the extra elemental damage and make them not plus 2 weapons and when he does something special the weapons will increase in power? What would you reccomend I remove and add in later?
>>
>>51439123
That's a great feature if a bit circumstantial.
And it also makes Frenzy barbarians finally usefull.
>>
File: LU466rE.gif (548KB, 255x184px) Image search: [Google]
LU466rE.gif
548KB, 255x184px
>>51439143
I've never even heard of a player playing a Berserker Barb because of the exhaustion rider to be honest

>>51439147
>>51439152
I hadn't fleshed it out much but that was the initial idea. Essentially the race is known for their supernatural endurance, which makes them excellent laborers

Maybe something like advantage to resist exhaustion? Or something different? I'm open to ideas, really.
>>
Any comments/criticism, /tg/?

Posted it in the last thread, but didn't get much response.
>>
>>51439167
I like this, it makes it so he has to choose between either no AOO or Extra Sneak attack damage. Do you think this is too strong for a level 10 character? Could adding in the extra force/fire damage later be a good idea?
>>
>>51439201
>but didn't get much response.
For good reasons.
>>
>>51439188
Count the exhaustion tree as one point less than normal.

So they gain exhaustion normally, but 1 point of Exhaustion means nothing to them. 2 points is equivalent to 1 for another race, etc.

Still powerful but it doesn't make you nearly immune to exhaustion.
>>
>>51439172
Weapons that "level up" with the player are really cool for them, and it helps them build a connection to a certain set of equipment rather than just tossing out their old set in favor of the new shiny toy.

That said, >>51439167 has some good ideas. I'm personally in favor of making items weaker to be on the safe side. If you make a magic item too strong, you might have to take it away from the player (bad), but if you make it a little too weak, you can just beef it up a bit, like the sword awakening (good).

As for specifics, I'd keep the +1, keep the on-hit effects, and keep the crit forced saved.

as he levels you can buff it to +2 and potentially add in other effects. Remember, some of the most powerful features of these wapons are the fact that they give the player a lot of choices. In some cases that could be more valuable than another +1 here or there
>>
File: 1375454259629.gif (584KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1375454259629.gif
584KB, 320x180px
>>51439254
Ah, great idea. Thanks
>>
>>51439188
How about: Regain 1 level of exhaustion on short rest, one use per long rest.
>>
>>51439201
But...monk.
>>
Homebrewing a Psionic Origin for Sorcerers, and now I'm stuck thinking of an 18th level ability.

1st level you have Advantage on Charisma checks against aberrations and you get some bonus spells (mostly from wizard list that feel psionic).

6th level you gain resistance to force damage and cause psychic damage to enemies within 10ft whenever you use Sorcery Points to apply Metamagic, as well as the ability to spend 1 SP to cast Detect Thoughts (no concentration, but you can't see deeper than surface thoughts.)

14th level you're immune to charm and fear and your mind cannot be read. Allies within 10ft get advantage against charm and fear.

Cannot for the life of me figure out that 18th level ability. Anyone have some ideas?
>>
>>51439306
>Anyone have some ideas?
Spend some SP to change the damage of any spell to Force damage

Basically a big "fuck you" to immunities and resists. because mind powers

?
>>
How come there is no longer a dungeon master's guild mega?
>>
>>51439338
Because Meganon's old Mega account got a copyright takedown, and honestly not enough people gave a shit about the DMSG mega.
>>
>>51439201
Congratulations on creating a 3 level dip for monks who don't want to bother with Wis for stunns and AC.
>>
>>51439338
This gets asked about once every other day.

Short version IIRC
>Megaanon got b&
>only had main trove backed up
>nobody used guild stuff anyway so didnt bother remaking
>>
>>51439218
Honestly, there's no need for extra fire/force damage because he'll already be doing extra fire/thunder damage with Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade. It's CERTAINLY a very strong item, but I as DM enjoy having a powerful party and giving them cool toys, as long as they work for it. These rapiers must by all means be really hard to acquire, and should not be found together.

To make them a little more appropriate to their names, you could change the things they do on a critical hit. For example, Distract could be DC 15 Wisdom (or Constitution) saving throw or the creature has disadvantage on Perception checks for 1 minute; Deceit could be DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or the creature is charmed by the wielder until the end of the creature's next turn or until it takes damage.
>>
File: Svetlin Velinov.jpg (159KB, 1680x1129px) Image search: [Google]
Svetlin Velinov.jpg
159KB, 1680x1129px
>>51439297

Monk is more Everyone-Is-Kung-Fu-Fighting. I want this one to be Ring-Of-Honor-Fistfighter.

It's a bit like the relationship between paladin and cleric. One's more martial, one's more spiritual, even though they do similar things.
>>
>>51438912
>>51438978
>>51439041
>>51439110
>>51439167
>>51439264
>>51439361
Thank you, all this is some great feedback! How does this sound?

>Distract
+1 rapier, If you attack a creature with Distract as part of your action, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

>Deceit
+1 rapier, If you attack a creature with Deceit as part of your action, and that attack would deal sneak attack damage, you can roll an extra 2d6 and add it to the sneak attack. Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.
Distract and Deceit, Legendary Paired Rapiers

These weapons are a pair and work best when used together. While dual wielding, you can add your ability score modifier on the off-hand attack.

>Distract (Awakened)
+1 rapier, you learn Booming Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Distract as part of your action, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. If a creature is critically hit by Distract they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be deafened for 1 minute.

>Deceit (Awakened)
+1 rapier, you learn Green Flame Blade and can cast it only through this weapon. If you attack a creature with Deceit as part of your action, and that attack would deal sneak attack damage, you can roll an extra 2d6 and add it to the sneak attack. Whenever a creature is critically hit by Deceit, they must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned for 1 minute.

>Distract and Deceit
While dual wielding, each weapon becomes a +2 rapier, you can add your ability score modifier on the off-hand attack, and if you use your action to cast one of the cantrips, you can use your bonus action to make an off-hand attack.
>>
>>51438384
Take a page from The Questing Beast and use the anthropomorphic animals as symbolism for the characters. The dwarf that acts like a boar would look like a boar, the fighter who is as strong as an ox would be an ox, that sneaky halfling thief becomes a raccoon, and so on.
>>
>>51439392
A fighting style granting a 1d4+str on unarmed strikes and maybe some bonus action stuff is enough to do that.
>>
>>51438223
Why put yourself through this?

Also wouldn't bags of holding trap air too? Like just open the bag mouth every 15 to 30 mins.
>>
>>51438186
Skald guy from before, which of these reads better? Trying to find a way to write out this feature that isn't overwhelming.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJrTD0FPl

Thoughts?
>>
>>51439556
I can't recall the sage advice, but I believe this is more or less true for most creatures, although I think it's most creatures can survive up to 10 minutes.
>>
>>51438135
Do you happen to have the Al-Qadem bestiary made by the same guy?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203765/Zakharan-Bestiary--Monsters-of-AlQadim?src=newest_in_dmg
>>
>>51438384
>people will start screaming furfag at me.
shit playgroup
>>
File: 34(1).jpg (92KB, 640x465px) Image search: [Google]
34(1).jpg
92KB, 640x465px
>>51439350
At the cost of delaying ASIs and Extra Attack? Sounds like a real bad call.
>>
>>51439556
I'm fully aware of what I've allowed

-Air Genasi can hold their breath forever, so they don't need that air. They can live in the vaccuum of the BoH
-He made it an arcane trickster, so inbetween mage hand and unseen servant he has mobility
-He intends to have the bag on the barbarian most of the time, so he's just acting as a mobile turret

There are *many* rules that disallow this, but its a one-off so I'm a lot less strict.

All he said to me is "hey can I be a rogue posing as a sentient bag?" and I just couldn't say no. I'm glad about the result.
>>
Best race for warlocks?
>>
>>51439787
half-elf
>>
>>51439778
What rules are these which disallow this?
>>
If anyone's playing a female dragonborn, what did you name it? I'm trying to come up with names but don't really have anything. She's a cleric, if it helps.
>>
File: gun.jpg (481KB, 1560x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gun.jpg
481KB, 1560x1200px
>>51439778
For what it's worth, I found your story hilarious and can't wait for my group to find a bag of holding, only to be shot in the face by a thunder cannon
>>
>>51439415
Sounds good like this. I still strongly suggest they should be found in two different locations.

What are your thoughts on the options I gave for critical hits? Distract giving disadvantage to Perception checks so the rogue can hide better instead of deafening, and Deceit momentarily charming the creature, so they won't attack the rogue or his friends instead of poisoning?
>>
>The party's warlock clearly murdered the guy
>He somehow managed to frame the bard perfectly
>Bard is now wanted for murder
>Warlock is willing to defend him "for a price"
Warlocks should never be trusted.
>>
>>51439811
The primary rule: Bag of holding requires a sentient person to imagine what's being drawn from the bag in order to withdraw from it according to the DMG. It is not just an acme hole in a bag. This would normally prevent casual exiting of the bag or goofy shit, such as say a gun appearing out of it to shoot.

While this isn't a rule that directly prevents it, damaging a bag of holding would result in its contents being dispersed into the astral plane, which would include him. I downplayed it to say you'll take extra force damage and be dumped out of the bag for that instance.

And naturally, the 3rd rule is the one you brought up about limited air sources. He technically got around that, but if it was a serious game I'd be very strict about that and say holding the breath becomes very uncomfortable over time and deck him with exhaustion each day he maintains this schtick.

>>51439832
Thanks for finding the image I was looking for.

Amusingly, he planned to do this: If anyone opens the bag, mage hand will slap their wrist first and he'll say "Don't open me." If they try again, the musket barrel comes out and he says "Must I warn you again?"
>>
As a halfling swashbuckler rogue, I want to take Magic Initiate. Already pretty much decided on Booming Blade, so must be wiz/sorc/war spell lists.Which other spells are worth taking? I was thinking Message and Find Familiar.

>>51439824
There's a female dragonborn in my halfling's backstory named Kyra.
>>
>>51439842
>I still strongly suggest they should be found in two different locations.
They will be!

>Perception Disadvantage
I thought about it and I kind of want the Awakened version to make them Deafened and have disadvantage but It might be a bit much... I might settle with disadvantage because of the hiding.

>Charm vs Poison
Yeah I think charm might be better as it does go with the name and the Dagger of Venom exist so... good call!
>>
How would I make the goblinoids closer genetically. I'm talking like some goblins stay goblins, others become hobgoblins, even fewer become bugbears. They're all just Goblins, none of this separate cultures or gods. They're all just a different kind of goblin.
>>
>>51439896
>How would I make the goblinoids closer genetically
You've just done it.
Make them all varieties of goblinoids, remove the different gods and cultures and bam, you're done.
>>
>>51439910
Sure but how does it work? Why does one goblin stay a goblin, whereas another becomes a hobgoblin or a bugbear?
>>
>>51439887
Glad I could help! I really enjoy building magic items, it's one of the things I like the most as DM. I have several that I don't even plan on giving to my party (on the current campaign at least), just sitting there and waiting.
>>
I'm throwing together a three or four session test of Gestalt for 5e. This will also be an opportunity for me to test out mechanics and encounters that are above normal difficulty for a given CR.

I'd like some advice on a few rulings and whatnot. I'll list them off individually with some of what I already have for them, if needed.
>Hit Dice - specifically, how should I determine what HD a player gets?
I've got a few ideas. The simplest would be the player always gets their higher hit die. Another easy one would be that they start with their higher one and alternate between the two. The other option I've come up with is they take the average of each (6 on a d10, 4 on a d6, etc.), add them together, and then divide them by two for an average. Which of these sounds like the best?
>Ability Score Increases
I am honestly not sure how to handle these. I can see it working in a way that allows them to only receive one ASI per level that grants it, or I can see them getting EACH ASI that each class grants. In addition, I'm considering allowing an ASI to be used to raise the cap on a stat. As such, each ASI will be able to be used to increase an ability score by two, two scores by one, one score's cap by one, or to gain a feat.
>Spell Slots
This is probably the trickiest and most sensitive ruling to make. On the one hand, the player who goes with two full casters would have more spell slots than they know what to do with if they got every spell slot given - on the other hand, this would actually weaken them compared to full caster/martial or partial/partial or martial/partial pairings, as they can only cast so many spells per turn.
>Multiattack
This is a last tricky one. One of my players suggested allowing multiattack to stack when it normally would not. I am not sure about this as it will lead to martials having ridiculous amounts of attacks. My current plan is to make it like 2e - your attacks end up something like 3/2/3/2, round to round. Thoughts?
>>
>>51439954
Age.
They get bigger, tougher and meaner as they age.
>>
>>51439954
environmental differences

Like an axolotl
>>
How's a half elf druid for a first time player?
>>
>>51439955
Well here's to hoping all your hard work gets some good use!
>>
File: -.jpg (44KB, 762x744px) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
44KB, 762x744px
>Suggestion
>spell that ranges from godlike to useless depending on interpretation

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>51440000
Fine, but is your DM/the rest of the group first timers as well? Because my DM had a hard time balancing encounters for a circle of the moon druid early on.
>>
>>51440055
dm seems to be experienced, from what I understand he's planned out the campaign
the other group has played some before but not too much
>>
A couple threads back an anon asked for some suggestions for homebrew ideas, and I suggested a barbarian path based around simple and improvised weapons and hurling objects and creatures.

Anyways, I liked my own idea so much I took a stab at it. Gib feedback pls.

Current qualms:
>Damage reduction isn't a typical mechanic of dnd 5e, maybe it doesn't even need this
>wording some of this stuff is tricky
>level 14 feature is potentially bretty good, but so are the other subclasses
>>
>>51440078
Should be fine then, good luck anon!
>>
Ok. I have a rough Draft of Homebrew class I am working through. It's a Variant of the Monk based on the Sumo wrestlers of Japan.

I would like some feedback if at all possible, and if it goes down well, I'll get to work getting it looking nice using the homebrew tools.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rC-ZOw-2glavT4vCLWbhrcq11_wNA-tvhQoFyKAdIQg/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>51440045
Yeah, I've had some GM's let you use it as improved dominate person (You, kill your allies and protect us.), and others who insist you can only use a maximum of 6 words because you only have six seconds to say them AND it has to sound very reasonable else they get advantage to resist it, if not being immune all together, and ontop of that in his eyes "Stop fighting and flee this place." is unreasonable because why would the guys stop fighting their enemies? :D
>>
>>51440082
>I rage.
>I throw the grappled foe 30ft up in the air for 3d6+1d10+Mods irresistable damage.
>>
>>51440082
>Assumptions about Rage Mechanics

Unnecessary. The rules for grapple specifically call it a "special melee attack," and Rage only ends if you let your turn go by without making any attacks.

RAW, grapple will always work to extend Rage.
>>
>>51439967
That doesn't work because you can have old as fuck goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears

>>51439989
Also doesn't work because all three are commonly found together in Goblin tribes, no matter the environment
>>
>>51440141
>That doesn't work because you can have old as fuck goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears
It works if you want it to work.
You're already changing things up yourself, do whatever you want.

I don't see why you're restricting yourself, even though you're changing things
Just doesn't make sense.
>>
My rogue found a magic ring on a long dead elven wizard's skeleton

What should it be? Poor dude has an ac of 13 currently (still hasn't been hit by an attack tho because I cant roll for shit on attack rolls vs my players), so I was thinking it could be a ring that casts Shield when he gets hit by an attack once per long rest. He's level 2 btw
>>
>>51440139
I agree, but i'd rather make that explicit. Not everyone will read into that at first.

>>51440128
I thought about this, but targeting a "creature or object" doesn't include the air. This doesn't stop you from throwing them into a low ceiling, however. Any tips on how to word it better?

I don't think it's the most OP thing regardless, since you're giving up an attack to grapple the target at lower level, and wouldn't be able to throw them until next turn, and they'd get a chance to break free using their action or hit you. At higher level, you could slam them with a greataxe for similar damage, with advantage if you're using reckless attack.
>>
>>51440155
How does he only have an AC of 13? What the fuck is he doing?
>>
Been having serious problems challenging my players in a new campaign

Level 2 party ran through five level/cr appropriate encounters, taking like two hits in all those fights. Highest AC in the party is 16, these guys are just really lucky I guess

What can I do about this? I am considering fudging my rolls just to keep things interesting but that seems like a slippery slope and if my players catch wind of it they'll prob be butthurt
>>
>>51440141
If only some goblins are allowed to eat the food that turns them into hobgoblins/bugbears, it doesn't matter how close they live together
>>
File: 25-march-hinhnen.jpg (324KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
25-march-hinhnen.jpg
324KB, 1920x1080px
>>51439536

If you take that and want to be a two-fist unarmed fighter, you'll be stuck doing two hands worth of d4 damage until the end of time.

That particular option is there to allow for a one free hand, one weapon style of fighting, focusing on the free hand (as opposed to how Duelist focuses on the weapon).
>>
>>51440165
Leather armor and 15 dex

I am fortunate to have really non powergamey players, they just do whatever. Like the party's sorcerer is a dwarf dragon sorc with higher CON than CHA
>>
File: Med_Med_Med_10_ft.png (9KB, 1398x1398px) Image search: [Google]
Med_Med_Med_10_ft.png
9KB, 1398x1398px
Does anyone having experience using the Sentinel feat in combination with a whip? on a Rogue, because getting Sneak Attack damage on an AoO is an incredible way to increase your damage output

The third part of Sentinel:
>When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn't have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.
I'm torn, because it would provide many more opportunities but would require me to consistently end my turn next to creatures. I would prefer to be able to space out 10 feet because if the creature breaks from the Fighter to attack me, it provides the Fighter with an AoO. If the creature tries to move to the side of the Fighter I get an AoO.

This is my current leveling plan:

Wood Elf, Thief to 20

4th level__Weapon Master / +1 Dex
8th level__+2 Dex
10th level_Sentinel or Magic Initiate
12th level_Healer or Skilled
16th level_Resilient / +1 Con
19th level_Alert

My choice is between Sentinel and Magic Initiate. If I go Magic Initiate I plan on Wizard for Booming Blade, and probably True Strike and Jump.
I briefly considered High Elf but the cantrip isn't as good as Fleet of Foot and Mask of the Wild for a Rogue, and the language is useless. Wisdom is also preferable to Intelligence. My starting array is 10 / 15 / 13 / 12 / 13 / 10.

Anyway, the core of it is my question about Sentinel. Is it worth it? If someone can convince me that it's garbage I'll just go with the Magic Initiate build.
My other idea is to just start playing the character and imagine that I have it and see how it changes combat dynamics, giving me plenty of time before 10th level.
>>
>>51440151
Because I want old as fuck goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears. That's why it won't work
>>
>>51440204
Still you should just throw some Studded leather armour he can loot or something. At level 2 just make the ring a trinkety thing that'll come in handy sometimes.
>>
>>51440204
>Dwarf
>Dragon Sorcerer
>Higher Con than Cha
You have a Dark Souls player using the "pump VIT" strategy.
>>
>>51440191
Use more minion-like enemies. Have them shove prone/grapple targets to give them disadvantage. Use enemies with pack tactics too.

Hit them with spells with saving throws. Fireball might wipe em at this level, but Burning Hands will be enough to put the fear of god in them.
>>
>>51440204
Make sure the Dwarf Player gets the tough feat.
>>
>>51440206
most DMs won't have monsters open themselves up to opportunity attacks as often as they have them attack other players. You'll get more attacks out of Sentinel than you would opportunity attacks, most likely.
>>
>>51440212
Studded leather was available at the starting town shop but he opted for buying 4 more daggers (already had 3), like a half gal of oil, and a bearskin instead

As I said he's still yet to be hit. Maybe a ring of magic missles or something

>>51440215
>>51440224
You guys won't believe me but he didn't even go hill dwarf drac sorc on purpose, it just sort of happened

>>51440221
Nice, they're level 3 come next sess so I'm gonna start throwing deadly shit at them
>>
>>51440196
Hmm, no I don't think so. I kind of want it to be a natural thing, or like maybe it has to do with the conditions Goblin eggs are raised in. Or maybe it's how they overcome their peers when they're shitty little babies.
>>
>>51439157
>What is Fangs of the Fire Snake?
>>
>>51440258
You know what? You're group sounds like a hella fun bunch of people. I'm sure the rogue will find some amazing use for oil and bearskinf and the Dorf will become a little ball of HP. Make it a +1 AC ring and tell them they're awesome.
>>
>>51440233
>DM be like
>and the monster will turn and attack you instead since you've been hitting it
I definitely agree with what you said. Almost every DM I've seen has monsters make very simple movements. They run into range to attack and rarely move from that square unless they have to.

I was thinking of carrying around a +1 polearm for the Fighters to use, but if they break 10 feet from the target (to force the monster to choose one of us) I no longer get Sneak Attack. So there's really no good way to force monsters to move. For that matter, Booming Blade seems kind of weak because it requires monsters to move to really put out damage.
I guess a remedy to my problem could be Find Familiar (instead of Jump).
But I could see DMs being dicks and having the monster stand still and swat my bird out of the air on its turn.
>>
>>51440273
Something that doesn't boost their damage while spending a resource.

That's also why this homebrew is popular.
>>
>>51440302
Well, Create Bonfire is an OK way to get them to move - it's a cantrip, and if they stay in the fire they continue to take damage. You could take Lightning Lure, move them to you, and then disengage using your bonus action to be somewhere forcing them to choose you or the fighter.

Still, most people will figure out a way to just wail on each other.
>>
>>51440164
In all honesty, hurling a creature more than your standard shove is a little iffy for players to do in 5e, it raises far too many questions.
>>
>>51440333
Create Bonfire is a great idea and I would love to use it, but unfortunately it's from Elemental Evil and this character is for AL. So I wouldn't be able to use Booming Blade in tandem with it.
>>
>>51440206
Have you considered Half-Elf Varient?
+1 to two stats, +2 Cha, trade the skill proficencies for Booming Blade.

Remember though you need spell-sniper to use Booming blade at reach, but it does come with a cantrip.

Alternatively, it does hit you Dex, but taking Hobgoblin Rogue is pretty decent, +2Con is nice on any class, +1Int supports your skills but 15DEX at start is a pain, free whip and heavy crossbow proficiencies are nice though and the +5 To Hit on a rogue will score you a few extra saved sneak attacks.
>>
>>51440302
Our party has a Sentinel Rogue teamed up with a Protection Paladin.

Attack the Rogue? Paladin blocks giving you disadvantage. Attack the Paladin? He is tanky and takes it, Rogue back stabs you for a free sneak.

Rogue is also protected by Warding Bond and the Paladin can use his reaction to take all the damage instead of forcing disadvantage instead, thanks to Oath of the Crown.

It's a Nobleborn Swashbuckler fencing girl with dreams of excitement and adventure, and her Steiner-esque verteran ser-knight Oath of the Crown Paladin. Great characters, great fun.

Plus our GM tends to play monsters to their intelligence. A savvy foe might know to try and split them up, or strike the rogue alone or take the fighter from an angle where the rogue can't support. But dumb enemies like unintelligent undead, crude or perhaps prideful orcs and the like might just try an take the paladin head on.
>>
>>51440353
It does cause problems, but I'd prefer to hear exactly why you think that.

Many of them are the same as problems caused by Repelling Blast for Eldritch Blast, or even the pushing attack manuevers that battlemasters get.

I think the big difference there is the fact that the push itself doesn't do damage for those classes, whereas this one gives you a fairly large bonus.
>>
>>51440390
If I made a Half-Elf I would go full Skill Monkey (Lore Bard 3, Arcane Trickster Rogue 17) and have proficiency in almost every skill, plus Expertise in 6 things, Reliable Talent, and Jack of All Trades. But I don't want to do that until I've been playing for a few years and have lots of meta knowledge that I could whip out on the DM because my character's checks are all automatically 16-27.

On Booming Blade, Spell Sniper is an idea but I don't have an issue with moving in to strike because I can use Disengage to move out. I would get more out of Magic Initiate then.

Yeah, Hobgoblin isn't gonna do it for me because of what you said and it would make Volo's my +1.
>>
What is the best build for a blaster warlock?

I figure it involves a multiclass, maybe even heavily after getting the eldritch blast enhancing cantrips.
>>
>>51440547
Usually you go far enough to get the warlock invocations for EB, and then just go the rest Sorcerer.
>>
Aha, fair enough. Still I would definately reccomend varient Half-Elf, +2CHA +1 to any 2 are fantastic stat placements for anything with booming blade tacked on, and it comes in SCAG so doesn't hinder your +1.

You'll be missing the ability to hide in the bushes which assuming there are slightly bushier bushes, shouldn't ever be a problem anyway. Weapon proficencies, which you get as a rogue, and the 5ft movement, which you could spend the feat you would have spent on mage initiate, to get Mobile (Or spend the feat elsewhere).

Downside is your Dex will be 16 instead of 17 so might have to reconsider some things. Unfortunately getting a whip just isn't worthwhile for a rogue since it doesn't combo with sentinel very well and +1DEX +4Martial Proficiencies just isn't good enough since you'll be getting whip, heavy crossbow and what else, maybe net?
>>
>>51440577
Whip is for thematics. I don't want to play the Rogue without it. But I am trying to min-max as much as I can with these other decisions.
>>
>>51440575
Im not convinced that Sorc 18 / Warlock 2 is better than say Warlock 12 / Sorc 8

With Warlock 12 you get 3 x 5th level slots you can swap out for sorc points every short rest.
>>
>>51440577
Swashbuckler 4 / Dragon Sorcerrer 1

Half elf for racial bonus

Spend your ASI on the spell sniper feat and use a whip.
>>
>>51440431
>>51440622
Maybe I will just go Arcane Trickster.
It basically removes the Magic Initiate choice from the equation.
It also removes the Healer choice. I was really looking forward to the Use an Object (bonus) action to apply aid kits and be seen as useful but I think I will have more fun with the utility that Arcane Trickster provides.
>>
>>51438508
Jen arsie
>>
File: sumo.jpg (126KB, 1024x701px) Image search: [Google]
sumo.jpg
126KB, 1024x701px
>>51440102
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rC-ZOw-2glavT4vCLWbhrcq11_wNA-tvhQoFyKAdIQg/edit?usp=sharing

Ok, love the theme... Just not sure on the balance of Size though. I mean extra reach and damage just seems too OP.
>>
>>51440680
It also fits much better to the Harper / interested in magic theme and pulls me away from the "wood elf jumping through trees and protective of muh woods" that I was going to play on.
>>
>>51440206
> AoO
dirty 3.pf peasant confirmed.
>>
>>51440680
Why don't you dip 2 level of Bladesinger Wizard then?

You get one martial weapon.
You get cantrips.
You get spells.

Also Healer Thief is pretty useless at level 12.
>>
>>51438113
How do you fight a clever dragon?

I'm thinking about setting a dragon against my party, and the idea I had was that the dragon was going to be clever about how it fought; fly-by attacks, engaging and retreating, with the players starting fully rested and then trying to make the cross-country trek to the dragon's lair without being completely worn down and unable to fight the dragon when they get there.

But seriously, why would a dragon played cleverly ever be a fun fight? They can just use their breath weapon, fly away, recharge, and repeat. There's no reason for them to do anything else. Even if I set it up so that the party all got access to flight in one way or another (they're level 7, and they have some magic items but not an excessive amount), the sort of dragon they'd be fighting (Young) has an 80ft flight speed and a 30 to 60ft range on its breath attack; if it had a 80ft land speed it could kite them, and it can fly on top of that.

If I play it stupid, they'll kill it anticlimactically like 5e PCs do to every solo monster. If I play it clever, it'll kill them anticlimactically. Are dragons not very well designed in this edition?
>>
>>51440680
You make the correct choice. Arcane Trickster can use Healer's kit / Object interaction with a bonus action via mage hand too.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/11/can-mage-hand-use-a-healers-kit-to-stabilize-at-range/
>>
>>51440141
>>51439954
>>51439896
Moon cycle. Like Khajiit.
>>
>>51440740
Take into account that Dragons are more than just clever, usually. They're smart, it's true, but they are also incredibly vain, and *might* believe that this party of nobodies wouldn't stand a chance against it, even fighting head-on.
>>
>>51440739
Other than delaying all of my progression by 2 levels (something I've bitterly tasted doing multiclassing before) it would take away my level 19 ASI, so I end up with 1 less feat anyway. Stroke of Luck is also pretty good.

I don't know, getting someone up with 7.5+level HP seems pretty good for a bonus action. I was also interested in Use Magic Device - particularly for the bow Shadowsong which requires Ranger attunement.

I also just realized how stupid I was being for assuming I had Shield proficiency somehow. That really poops on my Whip + Shield idea. So I have a new line of questioning for /5eg/...

Whip + Polearm Master. Whip in one hand, Quarterstaff in the other. I know I only get to attack with one per turn (that's totally fine for a Rogue, and TWF is shite anyway). Do I get to take attacks of opportunity when they enter my Whip's reach, or is it specific to the Quarterstaff (5 feet)?
>>
>>51440740
Dragonrend, faggot.
They have to think of a way of forcing the dragon to the ground.
>>
>>51440756
>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/11/can-mage-hand-use-a-healers-kit-to-stabilize-at-range/
Mind fucking BLOWN
>>
>>51440756
>>51440810
>it's not holding
So you'd have to have the healer's kit conveniently placed beside.

And, I mean, other DMs might say 'No, you have to go thief for that.'
>>
>>51440547
As much as people say warlock sucks, it depends on your GM and how they are with magical items. Does your GM offer you the chance to hunt or seek specific magic items, or at least take you aside and say "Hey, what kind of items would your character be keen on seeing Wands? Armour?"

A mid-high level warlock with a decent Rod of the Pact keeper, and potentially a Wand of the Warmage will be dropping 10d6 DC20+ Fireballs all over the place while shooting suprenaturally accurate eldrich blasts for days with bonuses to hit and spells with DC that no other blaster can even hope to muster.
>>
>>51440804
No, you don't get to apply polearm master to a non-polearm, that's munchkinly nonsense
It's fine to off hand a whip to get a long range attack /opportunity attack when someone leaves that reach, though. Remember you only get one reaction so you can't get two OA in one round though.
>>
>>51440820
What I've seen people with the Healer feat do is carry a bunch of healer's kits and/or ask other players to buy them in town so that they are readily available. I think it would take two turns for the hand to accomplish but it should be able to do it.
Cunning Action 1) Get the kit out of the person's pack
Cunning Action 2) Apply the kit
>>
I sort of wish being a dragonborn storm herald barbarian wasn't made such that matching your dragonbreath with your storm damage type resulted in wasting a bonus damage resistance
>>
>>51440809
Sure, but that'll be something I have to bullshit up for them. There's no class which has that ability. That's my issue.

I'll write that again for extra emphasis. The game Dungeons and Dragons has no character option that can fight Dragons effectively. Unless the Dragon is in a Dungeon, of course.
>>
>>51440840
Ask your DM for a second related one, like cold
>>
File: Everything is fine ascii.gif (3MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Everything is fine ascii.gif
3MB, 500x282px
>>51440829
>DMs dropping magic items from the DMG fucking everywhere
>>
>>51440846
Anyone who gets Earthbind from Elemental Evil (Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard)
>>
>>51440835
Personally I'd rule that you can't do any complicated tasks with that bonus action.

Essentially, usually you'd have to make a concerted effort as an action to move around with that hand as if it were your own, but the AT can do that as a bonus action. That doesn't suddenly mean things that normally take an action for the rogue to do with their hands now take a bonus action.

If you want to do complicated stuff with your hands faster, be a thief.
>>
>>51440846
Not my problem some fuckwads think they can take on a dragon with just swords&wands.
Should have brought a small band of warriors equipped with some harpoons to clip it's wing or something like that.
Make them reconsider the situation, focus fire on it's wings, etc.
>>
>>51440832
Yeah I figure it would be broken as fuck. In my opinion, "reach" applies to the specific weapon, not to your character. Although the sentence "While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach." could be more specific, like so many other things in the PHB.

Unfortunately, a Quarterstaff is not a finesse weapon, so it doesn't benefit from Sneak Attack damage. Otherwise, it would be fucking incredible to combine with Polearm Master.
>>
>>51440740
I'd make extra heavy flying monsters have very limited flight time. The party could try to attack it after it has just finished a flight or by enduring until it has to land.

They could also try to booby trap its nest, or attack its nest so it's forced to defend.

They could also just take it out at range, because I mean, all-ranged ranged parties are great. Imagine a wall of spell sniper eldritch spear agonizing blast repellingblast warlocks all with a level of fighter with the +1 to hit no disadvantage at 5ft fighting style.
Terrifying. The dragon would want to promptly GTFO, if they don't have a bunch of anti-air magics flung at them.
>>
>>51440866
That's pretty neat, but of the classes that cast it, I only have a Druid in the party and she doesn't know it. It's a Wizard spell, so a Wizard could learn that there's a dragon about and set out to learn it in preparation, but the non-booknerd classes don't have that option.

>>51440875
Again, this is pure GM enabled bullshit. There's no harpoon in the game, you can't make targeted attacks to disable wings. It's no different to me playing the dragon stupid; they can't beat it unless I change the rules to let them beat it.

So is that it, then? Outside of one spell from one optional sourcebook, there's no way to fight a clever dragon (or more generally a clever flying creature with a ranged attack) from the actual rules of this game?
>>
>>51440820
>>51440835
>>51440870
Use your own objecy unteraction to throe healer feat to the hand.

Also
> I think I am better than Crawford
Buttmad thief rogue confirmed.
>>
>>51440941
>Fast Hands Thief
>can use a boners action to masturbate in 3 seconds, cumming in the enemy's eye - must make a dexterity saving throw or suffer the Blinded condition
>>
>>51440937
>That's pretty neat, but of the classes that cast it, I only have a Druid in the party and she doesn't know it. It's a Wizard spell, so a Wizard could learn that there's a dragon about and set out to learn it in preparation, but the non-booknerd classes don't have that option.

Your druid can prepare spells from the druid spell list after a long rest. There is no "knowing" for druids, they prepare a certain amount and can swap them around as needed.

Just give your players the go-ahead to use EE content
>>
>>51440941
Never played a thief rogue yet, but I'd like it to still actually be an option, with AT already powerful enough as it is.

The way the rules are written, it's clear the thief is supposed to be the one doing these things as a bonus action, and giving that ability to the AT is just stupid. I'd normally go with Crawford, but his ruling on it is just stupid, but it seems he does seem to allow most things that're RAW.

At the very least I'd like to see it justified WHY the arcane trickster can do these things as a bonus action with their mage hand when using their own hands would take an action.
>>
>>51440905
>Unfortunately, a Quarterstaff is not a finesse weapon, so it doesn't benefit from Sneak Attack damage. Otherwise, it would be fucking incredible to combine with Polearm Master.

...why?
>>
>>51440990
aaand I figured it out in my head after I posed that. you want the second sneak attack per round by doing it on the enemy's turn when they move to you, yeah? that relies on them falling for it, though. You'd be better off with a battle master buddy commanding striking you into a free attack.
>>
>>51440937
>trying to target a general area in a huge creature is GM bullshit
whatever you say, honey
>>
>>51440982
Because magic? Most caster are as skillful with their mage hand as their own hand. AT are expert in mage hand and can go beyond that.
>>
UA delayed again please be the fucking mystic
>>
>>51440856
>Thus the reason I prefaced this with "Depends on your GM.", if he is a total jew with items then you won't get anywhere.

If he is a hyperstrict autist, you won't get anywhere because no modules what so ever feature rods of the pact keeper because they are useless for non-warlocks. Or worse, they might roll tables exclusively to generate treasure.

Or alternatively if you're lucky they might be playing StormKings which fucking says put magic items your players want/need in, which leads to you potentially getting the items you want/need.

A Warlock with the Warlock-Only item is actually pretty decent.

A 9th level Warlock with a +2 Rod is dropping a DC19, 10d6 Fireball every single encounter, has Hex up for 24Hours and is blasting off a pair of 1d10+5 Eldrich Blasts with a formidable +11 to hit.
>>
>>51441047
How are they more skillful with their mage hand than their regular hands?

Are you saying this 'magic' is easier to control than your own body?

Why doesn't the AT just become a psionic soldier that blows everybody's brains out?
>>
>>51441012
Yeah, with a Whip in one hand I could just move out of range and bait them into the Quarterstaff attack, but alas...

Another use would be to attack with the Quarterstaff, and if that attack misses use a bonus action to attack with the butt. It would give a back-up chance to Sneak Attack on your turn - however, it would use Strength, which is kind of like a -5 to hit. Of course, a Quarterstaff can't do it anyway.

FUCK YOU WotC, make Quarterstaves finesse weapons so Dex builds can be even better. Quarterstaves are totally Dex weapons. Ever get poked in the chest with one when you're moving in to attack? Takes some Dex to line it up with the sternum or the right set of ribs.
GWF on the ass-end of a polearm is good enough as it is. Strength martials OP!
>>
File: 1478656729093.jpg (122KB, 948x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478656729093.jpg
122KB, 948x640px
>>51441047
>and can go beyond that
>>
>>51440982
Your mage hand is intangible to everything but what it's grabbing, and arcane tricksters are nimble bastards

Just think about how much more dextrous you could be if you could choose to only touch what you want to touch with your hands
>>
>>51441085
The dealio is I believe

1. DMs should not be using magic items from the DMG, or only very sparingly.
2. As above, even if your DM is liberal with magic items, it's a case of 'well, you're as powerful as your DM decides you to be with what magic items they throw at you'

Even if it's a case of 'well, there's an item that's not awfully rare that nobody else can use that's also great', it's all a mess anyway when you come to the fucked up balance world of magic items: the campaign.

In some campaigns, you want to be a figther or something else because I've heard of official modules having 4d6 weapons and such just lying around.
>>
>>51441091
Yes. Wizard use fly because it's easier to move with magic than his nerdy body. He use telekinesis because it's easier to lift thing than his fatass body.

If you can't get over the fact that magic is better than mundane, at almost everything, then you probably shouldn't play a high fantasy game like D&D.
>>
>>51441097
I just wish unarmed strikes could be finesse weapons so I could make a venom-hand master monk/rogue

Because who doesn't want to be a wuxia assassin?
>>
R8 me...
>>
>>51441104
I don't see where it says that it only interacts with what it's picking up in the description, at least.

>>51441111
A level 3 concentration spell that enables something that is not normally done by hand that mostly amounts to 'accelerating your body in a direction' or a level 5 concentration spell that basically also just accelerates things in a direction are hardly comparable to a cantrip that supposedly is more dextrous than your own body.

Why not just give wizards a cantrip that allows them to use the extra attack feature at level 1, then?

If you attempt a dexterity check with a mage hand, do you get advantage?
>>
>>51441097
I don't think that would work at all, actually. To my understanding, your "reach" for the purposes of opportunity attacks is your best reach, not a reach of your choice. So if you had a whip in one hand and a quarterstaff in the other, you could never actually make the feat attack because enemies would never actually be in range of the quarterstaff at the moment they enter your reach, which is the only moment the attack is permitted.

Someone feel free to correct me if my understanding of this hypothetical interaction is incorrect. I'm honestly not sure.

Also you'd need the dual wielder feat because quarterstaffs aren't light, but I assume you know that.
>>
>>51441108
>DM's should not be using magic items from the DMG.

>Modules literally say things like "In this chest, put two magic items suitable to the party." or "In the dragons hoard are 4 items from table X and 2 items from table Z, a Sunblade and 3,000 gold coins in a bag of holding." "Bossguy is holding a Legendary +2 Flametongue Greatsword and is wearing +1Breastplate".

I get that you can't ASSUME that you're going to get access to what you want, and shouldn't build based off that, but saying that DM's never give anything you'll never get ANYTHING is some Smash Brawl >No items, >Fox Only, >Final destination. idiocy.

And again, this is the reason I started by saying "Depends how much of a jew your GM is." If you're LIKELY to get the warlock only item that only warlocks have a reason to get and as a warlock your GM may go "Hey, look its the one character that can use this warlock item." there is a chance you might get your hands on the warlock item, assuming your GM isn't a total item jew. If he is an item jew, then no luck bub. If you get hold of a Rod and make it to mid-level, Warlocks are pretty awesome.
>>
>>51441157
should've been named edgykiller
>>
>>51441115
I do like that you can use a Dagger as a Monk, and change its d4 to, say, a d10. Also getting the benefit of any magical bonuses it has.
>>
>>51440937
Any effect that knocks prone or reduces movement to 0 will cause the dragon to fall. That's on top of throwing your own ranged attacks back at it. There's too many answers to this to list them all.
>>
>>51441170
You can still wield a non-light weapon in each hand, you just can't attack with both (attack action + bonus action).

In my opinion, and I think most people share this, "your" "reach" is your weapon's reach, not your character's reach. So if you are wielding a Whip and a Quarterstaff (or a Quarterstaff and any other 1H weapon) you have two reaches, both of which are candidates for triggering attacks of opportunity.
Of course, you can still only take one attack of opportunity per round because it consumes your reaction.

Alright, JC confirms
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/06/can-a-character-have-two-opportunity-attack-provoking-reaches/
>>
>>51441097
They would also have to be entering your reach in a position that leaves them vulnerable to sneak attack.

And I lost track of how you're proficient with whips. Bard?
>>
>>51441195
>I misty step behind him
>I raise my Dai-katana which is a Greatsword with finesse because my Str is only 8 lol
>I say "heh, nothin personnel, kid" and cut off his head
>hey DM can I roll with advantage since I'm cutting off his head?
>...
>hey DM?
>>
>>51441244

well how about that. guess I'm wrong. neat!
>>
File: okay.png (135KB, 278x262px) Image search: [Google]
okay.png
135KB, 278x262px
>>51441157
>>
>>51441244
If minotaur horns work, what if you have a reach weapon and no other weapon and somebody leaves 5ft, can you unarmed strike them?

I remember there being something about it before and it might not have been possible, but I can't find where they say it.
>>
>>51441267
>They would also have to be entering your reach in a position that leaves them vulnerable to sneak attack.
Hmm, I'm not sure which square they are considered to be in when Polearm Master's AoO is triggered. Clearly, they have to be moving into your reach. So they would have to be moving from a square outside of your reach to a square inside of your reach.

>whips
Weapon Master
For that matter I'm now considering Crossbow Expert as well, so that I have the option to Net + Hand Crossbow and get more use out of my other weapon proficiencies. Arcane Trickster frees up a feat.

Build is now looking like this:

Wood Elf, Thief to 20

4th level__Weapon Master / +1 Dex
8th level__+2 Dex
10th level_Sentinel
12th level_Healer or Skilled or Crossbow Expert
16th level_Resilient / +1 Con
19th level_Alert or Other

Moderately Armored and Medium Armor Master are also considerations but those seem more suited to a Swashbuckler.
>>
>>51441244
*or a Whip and any other 1H weapon
>>
>>51441341
opportunity attacks are triggered before the offending movement would take place. phb 195
>>
>>51441341
*Arcane Trickster to 20
>>
File: Med_Med_Med_5_ft.png (9KB, 1398x1398px) Image search: [Google]
Med_Med_Med_5_ft.png
9KB, 1398x1398px
>>51441366
Alright, so for the positioning in >>51440206 it would occur while the enemy (red) is next to the ally (green) and before it's next to me (blue).

The positioning in this >>51441398 is what I would try to employ for making use of Sentinel.
>>
Bag of Holding containing 100 nets and 100,000 ball bearings, yes or no?
>>
File: REEEEEEE.png (25KB, 645x199px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEE.png
25KB, 645x199px
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51441341
I still think Half-Elf Varient will get you a lot more than Wood Elf will, still not sure why you want Whip when it doesn't work with any of your feats or abilities and costs you so much to get.

4th level__Sentinel
8th level__+2 Dex
10th level_+2 Dex
12th level_Whatever
16th level_Whatever
19th level_Whatever
>>
>>51441399
that's a link to a post about 40k strategy.

I'm unclear as to what's going on. who is moving where?
>>
What do you think about Bladelocks with Glaives? 2 levels of Paladin/Figher and the rest Warlock with PAM.
>>
>>51441539
PAM is one of the better ways to do bladelock.

But EB would still be better.
>>
>>51441501
If they want a cantrip, high elf is probably better. +2 dex instead of +1 dex. And the other elf things that half-elf doesn't get.

Not that you'll be needing that charisma enough.
>>
>>51441475
This is hilarious.
>>
>>51441548
True, but I don't really want to play an blaster, so I'm staying away from it.
>>
>>51440045
>>51440117

>godlike
Only for idiots that think they are (((creative))). It's a level 2 spell.
>>
>>51441475
>June
:^)
>>
>>51441559
Half elf gives cantrip.
>>
>>51441539
>>51441548
I'm not familiar with the jargon, what is PAM?
>>
>>51441583
Polearm Master feat.
>>
>>51441581
Yes, but not much else and only up to +1 dex and maybe +1 in a not-dex.

>>51441565
It's a shame to play the best blaster and then not blast.
>>
>>51440215
It's called VIT gouge.
and it's great at first
>>
>>51441609
You're not wrong, but I picked Warlock for the other benefits. Going Undying Light boosts my smite damage, and I get them back on a short rest. Seemed like a neat idea.
>>
File: Subrace Attributes.jpg (506KB, 2403x1074px) Image search: [Google]
Subrace Attributes.jpg
506KB, 2403x1074px
>>51441501
Because it's fun.
If I were super determined to go Thief I might bite the bullet and play yet another Half-Elf. But Arcane Trickster gives me the magic I want and actually isn't too bad.

>>51441515
I was trying to be cool and link to my own post.
In >>51440206 the red square would be moving backwards into me (blue squares), provoking an attack of opportunity from the green square, as well as an attack of opportunity from me if I had polearm master feat and a quarterstaff. It was in relation to how the positioning of things may or may not make Sneak Attack go away when attacks of opportunity are taken. Since attacks of opportunity are taken before the provoker moves out of the square, they will most likely still be within 5 feet of an enemy and provide Sneak Attack.
>>
>>51441085
one of the adventure league adventures gives a rod of the pact keeper, i forget it's name, though, I played it twice
>>
>>51441649
A normal smite wouldn't be boosted since it's not a spell. However, the paladin spell ones probably would.

UA undying light dips does come under 'bullshit multiclassing' along with UA revised ranger dips and UA shadow sorcerer dips, but I suppose if it's more than a dip..

Not that you really should be taking more than a dip. You'd naturally be better off going warlock3/paladinX if you don't want to blast.
>>
>>51441806
The only Smite you get is Divine Smite which uses a spell slot to boost your damage. Unless I've read this entire thing wrong.

"Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8."
>>
>>51441853
That's not actually a spell, though. Or at least I see nothing that suggest it should be, it only uses up some of your resources. If you look at the paladin's spell list, those are spells and there are smites in there.
>>
>>51441903
It still uses your Spell slots and in multiclassing you can use spell slots from either class. If you took Sorcerer and Paladin you'd have a combined list of spell slots right? Would you only be able to use smite for the amount of paladin spell slots you have? No, because spell slots aren't counted that way.
>>
>>51441949
The point is that divine smite is a class feature fuelled by spell slots that adds on damage. It is by no definition a spell. It does not have a cast time, it does not have a duration, it does not have a spell description, it's not listed under 'spells', etc.

You can cast, say 'branding smite' and get extra damage to that, but not divine smite.
>>
>>51441981
Whelp, looks like you're right, and I'm fucking dumb. Might as well just go Fighter/Warlock.
>>
>>51441501
>>
File: Fonz.png (378KB, 637x434px) Image search: [Google]
Fonz.png
378KB, 637x434px
How would you go about making a Monk of the Way of the Fonz?
>>
>>51442004
Yeah, fighter/warlock is the typical way to do bladelock.

If you go paladin/warlock it just feels like you should be focusing on paladin rather than warlock, given going up paladin is just plain better unless you're really that desperate for some sort of three-quarters-casting.
>>
>>51442020
It's beautiful
>>
>>51442020
Actually the 11th level in Rogue should be taken before the Bard MC so that Reliable Talent kicks in to boost Skilled and whatever comes from Bard immediately.
>>
>>51442043
Why is he smiling into her kiss?
>>
I'm planning on crossclassing into Fighter from a Srocerer, should I focus on Dex or Str?
>>
>>51442199
DEX since you don't get heavy armor proficiency if you didn't start as fighter.
>>
>>51442213
So if I take Fighter first and then go Sorcerer should I go str instead? I haven't made the character yet so I can switch the order around.
>>
If you had a player who planned to crossclass from Melee to Caster would you let them take War Caster before they can cast a spell?
>>
File: 1467215953575-fit.jpg (42KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1467215953575-fit.jpg
42KB, 400x462px
>>51442199
>>51442309
>crossclass
>>
>>51442319
You don't like to crossclass?
>>
>>51442343
multiclass is the correct term.
>>
>>51442256
No such thing as "should". What do you want your character to do? Doesn't Favored Soul covers what you have in mind?
>>
>>51442309
Why not?
The prerequisites are honestly almost pointless except the '13int/cha/whatever' ones, and even then you could probably ask your DM for it anyway without it.

The only reason you wouldn't allow it is because it would make no sense for their character to be trained in something they can't do yet.
>>
I'm a HElf Wizard, level 1
11 STR
13 DEX
12 CON
16 INT
16 WIS
14 CHA

Should I go for the ASI at level 4, or a feat?
>>
>>51442434
Well I'm really just interested in making a magic swordsman who uses melee attacks mostly but has a few spells to back himself up. I'm just not sure which stat is better in the end, str or dex.

Thinking about it, dex is probably the better stat to go with. More saves rely on dex than str.
>>
This is a weird question but has anyone ever done a Kingdom Building game in 5e?
>>
>>51442510
But that would be an Eldritch Knight
>>
>>51442464
What feat did you take at level 1?
>>
>>51442527
It would be but I have a dislike for Wizards and prepared casters.
>>
File: thonkeykong.png (96KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
thonkeykong.png
96KB, 250x250px
>>51442464
>>
>>51442551
Eldritch Knight works by spells known. Doesn't prepares shit.
>>
>>51442510
If you want to rely on melee attack to do damage, STR is definitely a superior to DEX.

DEX doesn't have a damage booster feat like Great Weapon Master.
>>
>>51442528
Half-elf. So nothing, since our DM doesn't like giving free feats out.
>>51442561
I'm asking you fucks for a reason.
>>
>>51442619
Wow, not even a first level feat? That's fucking rough buddy.

Two feats I recommend for casters are Resilient, or War Caster. Res will give you prof with Con checks which are great for concentration checks, and War Caster gives you advantage on Con rolls.

If you're not worried about con checks then take the ASI I guess.
>>
>>51438471
>Despite what it may seem, your average person doesn't even register anthro animals as anything worse than a disney cartoon.

Disney is a gateway media
>>
>>51442464
Well A)
>rolling for stats
and B)
You're clearly not going for optimization, so just do whatever the fuck.
>>
>>51438521
>I want to play an OP as shit grappler with no drawbacks whatsoever.

Hmm.
>>
File: FonzCavewoman.png (333KB, 636x437px) Image search: [Google]
FonzCavewoman.png
333KB, 636x437px
>>51442184
Reused animation most likely.
>>
>>51438521
1. There's little point to playing the race if you don't want to grapple.
2. Allowing grapples on dex(acrobatics) is kinda unfair as grapples is one of the very few reasons to go strength over dexterity in the first place.
3. Not allowing heavy armour is, again.. Not gamebreaking, but it's a real shame that people always restrict heavy armour from things. 5e's style of working is 'we'll discourage casters from using heavy armour by not giving them proficiency' or 'we'll discourage people wtihout strength from wearing heavy armour by lowering their speed', and then you can still get a perfectly fine rogue with a full climbing speed wearing heavy armour. But you don't see that anyway normally, and with +1dex you don't have to worry about heavy armour cropping up a lot.
I dunno, monks are soft-locked out of armour and barbarians are soft-locked out of heavy armour but generally it still doesn't feel you should restrict anything just for wearing heavy armour, except entire class things that'd be broken otherwise (All fighters would take a level of barbarian, for example).

4.The four hands thing should be used more like 'you can use one of your feet as an extra hand to do things such as cast somatic components or grapple or manipulate items, etc etc'.. But not use a shield or two-hand a weapon. Make it more generally useful.

5. You should probably seperate acrobatics proficiency into its own feature.
>>
Is there any software out there that I can use to complement using virtual tabletops like Roll20? I have a bit of cash to splash and want to see if there is anyway I can enhance my sessions. I would especially like to know if there is anything related to sound and music as I really hate how limited Roll20's capabilities are in that area.
>>
>>51442694
He pretty much hates feats in general, for some reason, he had to be persuaded to allow VHuman at all.

This is only my second time playing, is that normal to allow people a single feat?
>>51442694
Boyo, I didn't have a say in the matter, DM wanted us to roll. And I'm going as "optimal" as I can for my character concept.
>>
>>51442860
I think it's pretty normal to allow players access to part of the game, yeah. You get a 1st level feat, but that's ultimately up to the DM since they're the ones running the game.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByxFaH9Pe

lol woops
>>
I made an abomination class combining Warlock and Sorcerer. Probably more Sorcerer than Warlock, but both influences are pretty heavy.

I did this because I thought Sorcerer and Wizard were too similar. Pictures someday, first-page fluff someday.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkMs-Wtve
>>
>>51443091
It refers to Savant spell list, but at its current you can just use Sorcerer spell list.
>>
>>51442862
>>51442900
No, getting a feat at level 1 is not normal.
>>
>>51443123
All the games I've been in have had a feat at level 1
>>
>>51443156
All the games I've been in have not, and the book doesn't say you get a feat at level 1 either.

It's not unheard of, but it's not normal. It's not RAW, for example. It's like asking "what magic item did you start with?"
>>
>>51443172
Something the book does say and I constantly forget about is trinkets.
>>
>>51442586
Get Poopshooter, then take Crossbow Expert. Then throw daggers from 5 feet away and pretend you're making melee attacks.
>>
>>51441475
>it took us THREE WEEKS to come up with two archetypes for Sorcerers
>a class so shitty you could give them a feature that says "once per long rest you can kill a guy with no save" and they'd still be bad
>>
>>51443156
>Heavy Armor Master
lol ok good luck gobbos!
>>
>>51443246
Sorcerers DO have a feature that says "once per long rest you can kill two guys with no save"
It's called twincast Power Word: Kill
>>
>>51443266
>100HP
kek
>>
>>51443123
>>51442900
I'd say it's not abnormal, but it's not normal. Somewhere inbetween.

>>51442862
Feats are essential to martials, and I mean for god's sake rogue and fighter get extra ASIs intended for feats.

And, yes, I know you don't have much of a say but it must be said every time a DM somewhere enough is stupid enough to
>rolling for stats

I'd increase int by 2 unless you're facing some severe issues with concentration, being hit a lot, etc.
Lucky is always good.

If you had 13 CON, resilient(con) would be a great possible option if you keep fucking up concentration or get hit sometimes, but eh. At least with 13 dex you can multiclass into fighter or something if you need armour, but in that case you're better off starting with a level of fighter. Oh, then again, cleric gives heavy armour and keeps your spell progression, so eh.
>>
>>51443266
I think power word kill only exists so that you don't need to worry about villains using an actual 9th level spell.
>>
>>51443562
Power word: kill's niche is that it can kill people even if they have a billion things in the way of stopping you killing them.

You ignore that they deal as much damage back to you as you deal to them, because you didn't even damage them, you just killed them.
You ignore that they're behind 50ft of concrete, because your familiar could see them.
You ignore that they had a billion counterspells, because you can cast subtle power word: kill or cast it in the dark if you can see through the dark.
You ignore that they're immune to all damage types, because you haven't dealt any sort of damage to them.
You ignore that they have legendary resistance or insane AC, because there's no save.

Whatever the bullshit, as long as they don't come back after death you've killed them for good in one reliable manoeuvre.
>>
File: Tactician.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Tactician.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51443402
I'll note, I'm using this one, considering that probably is important. I'll bring it up, though!
>>
>>51443646
Oh, you're them. It's about time someone posted that tactician thing so I can complain about it.
Let's see

>level 2
There are.. Worse level 2 features, and better ones for wizards, but I suppose it's alright enough, sure.

>level 6
Technically you can use the bonus action before you attack with the cantrip, thus helping yourself, I believe. It should probably state that it has to help someone else.
But, yeah, sure, 'tis fine enough.

>level 10
Level 10 is worded poorly. Cantrips have the capacity to hit multiple targets - it should say 'Whenever you make an attack' or something. However, both my suggestion and that old suggestion have the same problem where casting something like a twinned cantrip or eldritch blast will result in allowing multiple allies reaction attacks.
While it takes co-ordination to use, that could potentially be seriously abused.

Otherwise, it's.. Fair enough. Rather strong if you have a rogue considering a booming blade rogue can be instructed -
>make firebolt attack
>bonus action (bonus actions can be used at any time on your turn) to give advantage to rogue
>rogue has warcaster, so can use booming blade
>makes a booming blade attack with sneak attack against the target
... However, then again, war caster requires their movement to cause the opportunity attack. Technically you could prepare an action to cast a cantrip when the enemy moves and grant booming blade like that, but.. Probably not.

>level 14
'Who needs sorcerers anyway'
>>
>>51443762
>>51443646
So yeah
>level 2 is fine
>level 6 could use rewording to avoid self-help
>level 10 should probably avoid multi-target cantrip abuse, and likely only allow the level 6 feature to grant advantage after the opportunity attack
>level 14 is actually fine even if it does make sorcerer a mockery of a class considering it steals one of sorcerer's only redeeming features, but it's not the wizard's fault the sorcerer sucks. Actually it kinda is.

Not sure who originally made it but they could probably make ammendments.

Kinda feels like they deserve an interesting out-of-combat feature too.
>>
>Boom Blade someone
>Someone else slaps Create Bonfire under them

Seems like a good non-resource consuming gimmick.
>>
>>51443800
Thinking about it, somewhere a feature like

>You always know the location of your close comrades should they wish to be known and you are within a mile of them. This still does not count as having line of sight to them, however.

Sort of magical and definitely tactical, yet not gamechanging.
>>
File: oh deer what have we here.gif (488KB, 322x181px) Image search: [Google]
oh deer what have we here.gif
488KB, 322x181px
Are there any spells or ways that a Warlock (with a Rogue dip) can fight someone with high Wisdom saves and counter those saves in advance?

i.e. Is there something that would give a penalty to Wisdom before launching spells?
>>
>>51443800
Guy who originally made it here, nice to see someone using my stuff. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet since I was working on some other stuff I was interested in, so I'll get around to fixing it.
>>
>no nonevil FR gods have tempest as a domain
I know they're only "recommended domains" but this is dumb.
>>
>>51443916
Hex
>>
>>51443916
2 Levels of Wizard Diviner. You can have +10 to Wisdom saves but fuck it you just rolled a 2 bitch.
>>
>>51444013
Hex only affects checks, not saves. I think bestow curse does saves though.
>>
>>51443762
>>51443800
It's not my own, but it just sounds fun as heck.

Honestly, I picked it mostly because I wanted to play a fairly support-y character without being an Alchemist or Cleric. Literally the entire party's going to be melee-focused, anyways.
>>
Making Magic Items for my campaign. I like my magic items to be interesting and flavorful, with a little bit of unrelated lore behind them. Makes them seem more...unique.

In addition, I always roll for random treasure. So, I rolled a staff of frost, a wand of polymorph, and an oathbow. The staff of frost I got inspired on, so that's done. The last two, though, I find myself stumped.

So, anons, any suggestions on some flavorful ideas for the wand of polymorph and the oathbow?
>>
File: kFcoTyU.gif (4MB, 405x309px) Image search: [Google]
kFcoTyU.gif
4MB, 405x309px
>>51438113
Anyone have any good rules for sundering items and objects?
>>
>>51444121
Held items would have an AC probably derived from the holder's AC, with disadvantage. Look at the ioun stones from the DMG for an idea of what I'm referring to.

Other objects would have an AC10, and, since they can't move, would just have an HP pool, and the attack would count as a crit if it hits.

Pretty simple.
>>
>>51444013
Unfortunately doesn't count for saves.

>>51444095
Bestow Curse does, but it requires a Wisdom save itself. I need the first one to be penalised, so it doesn't work out.

>>51444045
I've considered it, but I can't really afford another multiclass dip for the character outside of this one thing.
>>
File: 1380153261645.gif (3MB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
1380153261645.gif
3MB, 300x203px
>>51444131
Oh okay then. That works. Thanks
>>
File: 234252cropicon.jpg (10KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
234252cropicon.jpg
10KB, 100x100px
>>51444104
I think it's the flavour more than anything.
>>
>>51444111
where are these magic items found?
>>
i'm going to reward my level 4 players with a mace of disruption, a wand of the war mage, and wand of wonder, and elven chain, a ring of animal influence, a horn of blasting, and a dagger of venom

theres a barbarian, a rogue, a wizard, and a cleric

thoughts?
>>
>>51444212
Treasure horde of a high priest of Orcus, taken from various sacrifices and prisoners he's caught over the years. Could be from anywhere.
>>
File: Bard 1.jpg (46KB, 399x700px) Image search: [Google]
Bard 1.jpg
46KB, 399x700px
>>51442713
>>51442812
Gracias, senors.
>>
>>51442681
help

Zootopia got me and now I'm playing a catfolk bard.

It's great, though. Murdered a feral tiger and am going to wear its fur as a coat.
>>
>>51444216
Pretty good rewards.

I just let my half-orc buy a horn of blasting. I can't wait to see what happens. I figure if it explodes he can use his racial to not die.
>>
>>51444536
i took out the exploding stipulation, seems really shitty from a player's perspective to have your new toy blow up while everyone else's is fine
>>
>>51444221
You could have the oathbow deal extra necrotic damage instead of extra piercing damage.
And have the oath be given in abyssal instead of in elvish.

The wand of polymorph could be left as is. But give it some undead flavor in terms of the way it looks. Maybe have undead make their save with disadvantage if they use polymorph on them.
>>
>>51444555
How did you limit it in terms of its usage then?
>>
>>51444111
While I appreciate magic items having a reason for being where they are, actually being unique and not just like 'upgrade chips' you can install onto your character...

Rolling for random loot on DMG tables seems pretty fucked, because personally I find many DMG items to be... Too far into 'Mostly just upgrade chips'.
I prefer them to have importance and sometimes limited use if they're combat-related. I always like the example of that sword from Ocinara of Time that you have to sacrifice to turn back time. Even if it's a better weapon, you have to sacrifice it sooner or later or suffer the consequences.
>>
File: 6229882.jpg (307KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
6229882.jpg
307KB, 1200x1400px
>>51444216
>level 4
>7 magic items just like that from the DMG
Y.. You do realize this is 5e, right?
>>
>>51444603
just once per day

>>51444635
it's specifically a treasure horde they found
>>
>>51444650
At least pad it out with some more consumable or less long-term magic items

Or, you know, go ahead and just flood them in so many magic items that they have more magic item related abilities than class abilities. As long as they have fun.
>>
>>51444678
Huh, reading back on it, I can see that some things, for example the horn of blasting can explode on use. I actually like that.
Though things like dagger of venom might still be there as a 'I'll pull this out once a day' thing
Sounds rather 4e-ish if you circle through various weapons with daily powers.
>>
>>51444711
He took out the exploding bit though.
I think you should leave it in. That's the fun of the weapon. Use it as much as you want, but it might literally blow up in your face.
>>
Acquisitions Inc is live boys.
Everyone that's not dawnforgedcast, get hype
>>
File: 1349232214173.png (4KB, 154x269px) Image search: [Google]
1349232214173.png
4KB, 154x269px
>>51444816
wait, AI is today? like the actual live game?
>>
>>51444823
Yep. It's on twitch, just started.

No more binwin though :(
>>
>>51444729
New thread.
>>
File: 1387011454217.png (43KB, 131x134px) Image search: [Google]
1387011454217.png
43KB, 131x134px
>>51444832
goddamnit, now i want to cancel my game today and watch it

oh well, how long does it usually take to upload to their youtube channel?
>>
>>51444832
I haven't watched since the giant castle at pax live. What fate befell good Bronzebottom?
>>
If my Fighter/Rouge Battle Master uses Manuvering Attack, does the wording allow me to add Sneak Attack damage to the attack?
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.