[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 83

File: Perfectly Thinned.jpg (258KB, 482x500px) Image search: [Google]
Perfectly Thinned.jpg
258KB, 482x500px
"paying for photoshop classes just to make shitty OP images" edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
https://mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
https://mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
https://mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
https://mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw
>How to Moldlines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
http://www.miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
http://pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

Previous Thread: >>51416489
>>
File: gathstorm-3[1].jpg (144KB, 1500x1331px) Image search: [Google]
gathstorm-3[1].jpg
144KB, 1500x1331px
Anyone seen any good conversions for Greyfax? I don't really dig her (overdesigned and has an ugly face), but I feel bad leaving her unbuilt.

Do you think she could be converted to a half-way decent Canoness? Do you know any helmets that might look good on here?
>>
Is there a way to use a wash without also making the area in general look 'dirty?'
There's a relatively flat area I'm trying to paint but it has some extremely fine slats on it - think like a mini-scale radiator or something, and no matter how hard I try to avoid getting basecoat color in the details, the paint winds up flowing into the tiny recesses anyways and ruins the shading from the wash.
>>
>>51435889

The head is swappable. I'm currently looking for decent girl heads that aren't Statuesque.
>>
>>51435889
>Do you know any helmets that might look good on here?
SoB have helmeted head on the vehicle accessory sprue iirc.

Failing that maybe something from the Skitarii or Scions might look good.
>>
File: 100_2547.jpg (248KB, 1167x600px) Image search: [Google]
100_2547.jpg
248KB, 1167x600px
>>51436122
the scions head is slightly too big, and you'd have to cut down the gorget to make it fit

>wanting to swap out the hat
>>
what are some good white scars upgrades? im finally biting the bullet and making my legion
>>
>>51435889
Easiest Valkia the Bloody conversion ever
>>
File: Big Head Mode Enabled.jpg (372KB, 1424x1276px) Image search: [Google]
Big Head Mode Enabled.jpg
372KB, 1424x1276px
>>51436122
>SoB have helmeted head on the vehicle accessory sprue iirc
I've tried those actually, but I'm not sure if they look too large. I don't really have an eye for this sort of thing.

>Failing that maybe something from the Skitarii or Scions might look good.
I think I got some Skit heads around here somewhere, give me a sec and I'll blue tack 'em on.

>>51436005
>I'm currently looking for decent girl heads that aren't Statuesque.
Good luck on that anon, it's a rare thing to come by.
>>
>>51436459
the helmeted one looks fine, the other looks too big, even for heroic
>>
>>51436459
>but I'm not sure if they look too large.
The inqusitor is a full head taller than everybody else anyway
>>51436224

I think both look fine.
The helmeted one looks pretty good imo.
>>
>>51436459
helmet's about as good a scale as you'll get, I think

not really a surprise considering the rest of her armour
>>
I want to do some more scratchbuilding terrain, shit like hills, brick walls, wells, etc. what is the easiest material to work with if i wanted to cut rough stone bricks? some kind of foam?
>>
>>5143645
What kit is that from?>>51436459
>>
File: Inquisition x Mechanicus OTP .jpg (239KB, 1196x968px) Image search: [Google]
Inquisition x Mechanicus OTP .jpg
239KB, 1196x968px
>>51436554
>>51436506
>>51436488
>Helmet looks fine
Huh, guess I really don't have an eye for this. Least I didn't buy that oyumaru and milliput for nothing now.

Anyway, I mocked up the Skits heads.
Just in terms of getting the fucking things on there, they don't really fit to well; I think they'd fit much better however given some easy work (spike in the center of gorget, the ball on the bottom of the Skit head, and the neck well in particular all need to be shaved down).
What do y'all think? Personally, I actually kinda like the look of both of these.
>>
>>51436643
>>51436459
The plastic head with the helmet I mean
>>
>>51436643
>>51436689
>What kit is that helmet from?
SoB Immolator - both the helmeted and bare heads are supposed to be for the turret gunner. They're pretty okay for how old they are, but they still have a lot of the same problems that a lot of older GW models have (mold slippage/heavy moldlines, less detail, etc).

It is a really nice kit though. Makes some nice models.
>>
>>51436646
>Huh, guess I really don't have an eye for this
don't forget that on the sprue you haven't put the shoulderpad on there yet.
Her torso looks less bulky than it will be once you assembled her.

I guess the skitarii helmets could work too, would be a shame to cut down the gorget though.
And if you are really thinking about using her as Cannoness the Immolator helmet is a no-brainer.
Personally I like the sleeker look better too.
The Skitarii heads have loads of detail that'll make her look a bit cluttered I think.
>>
>>51436714
Thanks
>>
>>51436632
Id wager florist foam might work well. Dont know how you'd seal it though, seeing how pourous it is.
>>
>>51436722
>And if you are really thinking about using her as Cannoness the Immolator helmet is a no-brainer.
My thought's exactly. I'm tempted to try to make a kitbash Canoness Veridyan out of her. At least then the model might actually see the table. She already has the Power Sword, all I'd need to do would be swap her Crossbolter for a Bolt Pistol.
>>
>>51436646
not a fan

Having two sets of tubes right next to each other (once you trim the neck/gorget) would look quite strange
>>
File: valkia.jpg (225KB, 1500x1331px) Image search: [Google]
valkia.jpg
225KB, 1500x1331px
>>51436306
>>51435889
Over 20 minutes in CS7, this shit is baller as hell
>>
File: Neophytes 4.jpg (49KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Neophytes 4.jpg
49KB, 960x720px
>>51435830
Worked on more of my Neophytes. Finished up their trousers, boots, and shin guard things. Just gotta glue on their arms, finish their backs, and then do their faces.
>>
File: image.jpg (265KB, 581x3097px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265KB, 581x3097px
>>51436632
>cut rough stone bricks
Can you explain that?
Do you want to make bricks to build something with or add brick texture to something or did you just say brick because you meant massive pieces of rock?
Blue Hardfoam is easy to cut and you can stamp texture into it with a stone or a piece of crumbled aluminium foil.
>>
File: Stygian Desert P1010226.jpg (185KB, 864x646px) Image search: [Google]
Stygian Desert P1010226.jpg
185KB, 864x646px
>>51436632
>>51436905
here's another example where somebody cut bricks and uses those instead.
>>
>>51436854
That's pretty fucking sexy anon. If I had the parts and played Chaos, I'd probably try gunning for that.

Does Valkia have a 40k equivalent? If not, who's closest? Lotara Sarrin?
>>
>>51436459
>looks good and is thematically appropriate to the rest of her gear
>only way to get that helmet is to buy an immolator
why'd you have to take that photo, man
>>
>>51437115
>why'd you have to take that photo, man
Because the Immolator kit is pretty nice and you should have one if you plan to make a Canoness out of Greyfax anyway?
>>
File: 1484558459226.png (70KB, 232x350px) Image search: [Google]
1484558459226.png
70KB, 232x350px
>>51436891
>>
>>51436891
Not sure how I feel about the gaiters being a different color than the boots, especially in those specific colors. It makes them seem like they're wearing ankle armor with loafers.

Other than that, they look pretty good. You might want to calm down a tad with the Agrax or go over some of the fabric again to brighten it up. It looks very dark and dirty.

>>51437167
>>51437187
You forget to take off your trip there, buddy?
>>
>>51437162
not making a cannoness, don't have or plan on making an SoB army, I just like helmets
>>
>>51437209
yup.
>>
>>51436905
>>51436942
these are both great ideas. i had the second picture in mind so I could built from scratch some things like wells with big bricks. what material is the first picture? is it durable enough for wargaming?

also does anyone recognise what company makes this card castle set thing, I found it in a bag and i'd like to look it up.
>>
>>51436632
Polystyrene. MWG has a bunch of videos on using it to build terrain. This one should be more what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tda5F43BZGA
>>
>>51437209
I thought that was supposed to be ankle armor. You know, protect the joints.

I'm thinking of doing an edge highlight over the clothing folds in order to brighten things up. Think that will work?
>>
>>51437235
>what material is the first picture? is it durable enough for wargaming?
It's hardfoam you can get from any diy store. Normally used for insulation but a staple of miniature wargaming.
It should hold up reasonably well to regular use if you give it a protective coating of pva before painting.

If you want something near indetructible you could look up 1:50 textured plastic sheets used for railroad models and the like. they are usually quite a bit more expensive.
Antenociti has a selection of what I mean, to give you an idea.
>>
>>51436646
I really like both of them, but these guys are right in that it could be a little too cluttered. It depends on the sort of feel you're going for the model. If she's girded for all-out war, the Vanguard Alpha head would be my pic. If the armour is supposed to be more stylised and ceremonial, the SoB Immolator helmet works great. The hood provided by the Vanguard gives it a sleeker look.
>>
>>51437297
>hardfoam
if we're using technical terms it's "extruded polystyrene", commonly sold under the name of Foamular
>>
>>51436224
>N7 scions

It's a good thing I'd already started doing my guys in gunmetal grey before I got this idea.
>>
>>51435941
Once you've done the wash, you can brighten up the 'dirty' parts with another layer of whatever it is that was made dirty
>>
>>51437388
Call me a retard, but this feels like it would potentially just . . . undo the work the wash has done. I know that can't be right because Dunc-senpai advises this all the time, but are there any ways to make absolutely sure this doesn't happen? Guessing making sure the second layer of paint has been thinned a bit more than the first might do.
>>
>>51437421

wash is used to get into receded corners and pop out detail a lot more. the edges around a space marine's pauldrons, rib cage of a necron warrior,

the 2nd layer that >>51437388 is talking about is clean up work.
>>
>>51437421
Listen retard; if you don't highlight everything is dull. This is acceptable for some armies but most make it look like they put effort into their appearance like one would when it comes to highlighting metals.
>>
>>51437421
>this feels like it would potentially just . . . undo the work the wash has done.
that's why with the second coat you carefully avoid the recesses that you want shaded

if your paint is running all over the place and being a dick to control either
1:put less paint on your brush
2:use less water
>>
>>51437421
Just leave the wash showing where you want it and paint over the stuff you want brighter.
It's not rocket science.
>>
File: imperial-guard-cadians-kom1f[1].jpg (14KB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
imperial-guard-cadians-kom1f[1].jpg
14KB, 400x362px
>>51437214
>not making a cannoness
Ah, I see.
Well, Greyfax is an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor so you could run her in an Inquisitorial Henchman Warband formation to unlock the ability to take a single squad of SoB without your list being made Unbound. They could in turn could take a dedicated transport Rhino/Immolator.

Just spitballing ideas here.

>>51437276
>I thought that was supposed to be ankle armor. You know, protect the joints.
It can be, it really just depends on how you want to paint it.
Personally, I think the color of the armor on yours clashes a little bit too much with the color of the boots to work though. See pic related; you can barely notice that the boots and the ankle armor are different colors.

>Think that will work?
Probably. That's usually the standard fare for highlighing cloth. Basecoat everything, do a wash in the recesses, then highlight the raised portions. Gets you a good three color gradient and the illusion of depth and shadow.

>>51437349
>It depends on the sort of feel you're going for the model.
This. I'm not really sure myself what I'm going for with her.
I like both the idea of a regular Canoness for my SoB and a half-Ecclesiarchy, half-Mechanicus Inquisitor for when I field both those armies together.

Plus, I like the idea of an taller female Skitarii Alpha who don't need no HQ choice mixed in with all regular Troops. No fucking clue how I'd fluff that tho, especially considering her model is full of non-Mechanicum shit.
>>
>>51437516
I could also just build the immolator as a pimped out inquisitorial rhino/razorback and take that as a FA slot in my marine army. Seems strange they didn't include the immolator in the castellan detachment.

The fact that I'm thinking about it worries me. $50 isn't the most I've spent on a single model conversion.
>>
What adhesive does /tg/ use for its plastic models? Superglue is too messy and leaves white stains on my models, and plastic cement never seems to solidify well for small components (like a bolter on an arm). Am I just doing something wrong?
>>
>>51437460
I'm aware of what highlighting is, yes. Dullness wasn't the problem I was asking about so much as the original colour coming out too strongly once a wash has already been applied. Usually I coat, wash, then highlight with a slightly different shade to draw attention to the contrast between the washed areas and the highlights.

>>51437439
Clean up work makes more sense. Thanks, frienderino.
>>
>>51437503
>>51437513
And two more lads hopped in while I was posting. Cheers guys, advice makes more sense now, derp moment over.
>>
>>51437516
If you want to Mechanicumise her, scrape off the I for starters, unless you want her balling around as an Ordo Machinum inquisitor or whatever they're called. I would consider a distinctly Martian colour scheme alongside halving the skulls on her armour in black and white to give her that distinctive look without cobbling too many new bitz onto her. If you really hate yourself you could freehand a gear design around the little skull on her gorget, because that's the only skull that's embedded in a flat surface you could paint around.

Canoness would be an amazing model too though. Either way, I would be so impressed if somebody fielded a good Greyfax conversion against me.
>>
File: spartan-400x400.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
spartan-400x400.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
>>51437115
You could try one of these.

Alternatively wait 9 months and hope for plastic sisters with a bunch of helmets on the sprue after Age of Emperor releases.
>>
how pliable and durable is regular shitty expanded-poly foam? if i do a coat of pva and then paint it, will it be fairly durable? is there any way to hide the texture of it?
>>
>>51437648

They actually sell different grades of that foam with varying levels of expansion and thus hardness.

If you have any styrofoam terrain, I highly doubt it's going to be any more flimsy than that.
>>
>>51435941
>the paint winds up flowing into the tiny recesses anyways and ruins the shading from the wash.
You have too much paint on your brush. If you can't control the paint coming off, you've got too much.
>>
>get newsletter
>see this
>think it's neat, maybe the jump packs come separately
>go to webstore
>shitty 90s dialup pictures and no pics of unpainted models
>says assembly required
>doesn't tell you in how many parts it comes

Seriously, warlord has got to have the most shitty professional mainstream webstore.
Wyrd won't even post anything but the render, but at least the images are big enough to see the fucking models.
>>
>>51437552
I generally use plastic glue whenever possible. It's generally easy enough, but sometimes you have to press and hold the bits together for a little while to get them to actually stick. It can be pretty annoying if the bits fit together finicky or are fragile.

Superglue is nice for glueing fragile bits together since it dries really fast, but it's weaker over time. Eventually it'll get brittle and break. Great for gluing painted bits together though if you sub-assembled your model.

Never used plastic cement (unless thats just another word for plastic glue)
>>
Does dipping still work? I just want to prime, paint the metal and bolter bits, and dip and shake models at a time. Also, would post dip shaking work better if I attached the dipped models to a vibration device?
>>
>>51437704

Yes. No.

I recommend just brushing army painter tone on the model thickly as it's about as fast and less work than shaking.
>>
>>51437702
Yeah, it's just plastic glue. How long do you usually hold together your pieces for them to stick. I've held marine hands onto the arms for whole minutes, only to have them slough off when putting the arm onto the body.
>>
>>51437725
Sounds like you might be using too much glue then.

Just apply a bit onto the surface you want to glue and wait for a second until the plastic softened a bit.
Then press them together.
Should stay in shape unless you are gluing something really big or heavy. In that case just put something underneath or lay the model down in a way that it can dry undisturbed by gravity.
>>
File: god help us.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
god help us.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51437764
Hmmm. I'll be sure to decrease the amount of glue I use then.

As you can see, I'm quite generous.
>>
>>51437552

Use a gel superglue and put less on the model.

If you want to solidify the two pieces you need plastic glue though. Good super glue can make bonds stronger than plastic, but it can still be broken if twisted at the right angle. Plastic glue literally welds the pieces together.
>>
>>51437787
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>51437787
>puts way too much glue on the model
>complains when it seeps out and leaves residue on everything

Why. You are going to have even worse problems if you do this shit with non-super glues. Instead of having white residue you're going to have melted plastic.
>>
File: 82219_R.jpg (10KB, 325x271px) Image search: [Google]
82219_R.jpg
10KB, 325x271px
>>51437787
Use this.
>>
>>51437787
Break out the super fine grit sand paper and sand that shit down, anon.
>>
>>51437815
That's clearly what he's got in the background.
>>
File: LbDUJDk.jpg (31KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
LbDUJDk.jpg
31KB, 300x450px
>>51437787
JUST PUT LESS GLUE ON THE MODEL
THAT WAY IT WON'T SEEP OUT OF THE CONNECTING AREA
???
>>
>>51437725
You might be using too much plastic glue.
Plastic glue works by melting the bits together, and if you put enough on at once, you just end up melting the whole surface. The plastic will turn gummy and just come off.

The only other thing I imagine might of happened is if your glue is expired. What brand are you using? Citadel, Revell, etc?
>>
>>51437822
Christ I've never, ever needed more than the slightest dab of this
glue
>>
>>51437829
Testor, freshly bought. The. tumours you bear witness to are the result of a slippery slope-- too much plastic glue (although I didnt know at the time), which then falls apart and becomes unsalvagable without copious superglue.

Im really worried for the painting.
>>
So, I made the slight mistake of spray painting my base coat in slightly too cold weather, and now there are some shiny spots on my model. Will this effect the final product much? Or will further layers just cover that up?
>>
>>51437887
If GW still produces foundation paints I would definitely suggest basing with those.
>>
>>51437871
Only advice I can give if this happens again is to scrape off as much of that melted plastic as you can, then let whole thing sit and dry for while. It *might* be good once you come back to it.

You should be okay when it comes to painting as long as you can scrape off enough of the excess superglue.

>>51437887
Further layers should cover the majority of it up. In any case, always test on sprue before you spray your models.
>>
File: 20170128_002758_HDR.jpg (323KB, 865x853px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_002758_HDR.jpg
323KB, 865x853px
I don't know how but the outer rim piece that went above the cup decoration on my termies back snapped off and now I can't find it. Not sure if I should keep it like this and just clean it up, or snap it off and see if I can replace it with something from my tactical squads.
>>
>>51437979
Doesn't look broken.
Just incorporate it that way into his personal heraldry.
If you are really bothered by it you could replace it, not worth the hassle imo though.
>>
>>51437979
>the outer rim piece that went above the cup decoration on my termies back snapped off
I have two Karlaens and that has happened to both of them. That damn piece is held on by gossimer and happy thoughts.

Just glue the top half of a reuglar Iron Halo on there and call it a day.
>>
>>51438017
I know it doesn't look too awful. Thou I find it somewhat humorous now as it seems he is balancing a cup on his head. In any case I could possibly try to hollow it out to make it an actual cup, or just cut into it a bit and paint it with a blood texture inside.
>>
>>51436714
Is the Immolator plastic?
>>
Just another example of why people who use plastic glue are idiots.
>>
>>51438062
Ja.
It's listed "Plastic and Resin" on the site but the only "resin" part is the clear window that goes on the turret.
>>
>>51438029
Well it's good to know it's not just me with this issue. Giving it more though I am liking this idea of just putting blood in the cup. Will save it for last though after I get the Thunderhammer, purity seals, cape, face, and Stormbolter done.
>>
>>51438070
Tell me more about this super glue ubermensch you speak of.
>>
>>51438119

All glue is for disdainful mortal plebeians. My models are held together for all eternity by the sheer might of my willpower alone.

On the rare occasions that I deem a lowly mortal worthy of my aid, I will help him assembly his models with a glue made from the hand-scooped bowels of a freshly slain horse felled by my own divine hand.
>>
>>51438158
Neat.
Personally, I use Elmer's glue and Tacky Glue. Works pretty well for me if I do say so myself.
>>
>>51438158
Yeah, that's all well and good, but don't you get seems that way?
>>
>>51436459

Wtf is that plastic body? Are those Celestines retinue?
>>
>>51438255
Are you retarded? Follow the chain up.
>>
>>51437545

If you're in Castellans, take a unit of Dominions and melt shit with 4 meltas that ignore cover once a game.
>>
>>51438298

I honestly didn't realize that was Greyfax because I did follow the chain.
>>
>>51438196
>not having heat vision to melt the seams away

Clark pls
>>
Whoever had the Mancubus mini last thread: How many minis are in the boardgame in total and how is their scale?
>>
using what I learned from you fine folks, heres the chassis for the first of four ruined castle corners. keep an eye out in subsequent threads for progress
>>
>>51438661
>>
File: ilikewhatisee.jpg (12KB, 154x137px) Image search: [Google]
ilikewhatisee.jpg
12KB, 154x137px
>>51438661
>>51438913
Looks like great start.
>>
>>51437887
Depends what you mean by "shiny spots". If you were spraying a matte spray it's possible that the matting agent wasn't properly mixed in so there's shiny spots and that's all. If it's bumpy/textured though you're going to want to fix it. Just get a bit of fine grit sandpaper and sand it back.
>>
What's the best way to fix a painting fuckup?

Like "oh shit I wasn't supposed to get paint on this little part what the fuck do I do now" sort of thing

Painting over needs coats to mask depending on the brightness difference and then that might make it stand out from the rest of the touched parts
>>
>>51436891
The gaitors (or the upper parts of their boots) shouldn't have the same color as the body armor.

Besides that they look good so far. Keep going
>>
>>51436854
Damn.
>>
>>51439886
Really? I'd have painted even the brown part the same color as their chest pieces
>>
>>51437677
Yeah, i somehow think there are several people managing the webstore who hate each other.

Some sets/boxes list exactly whats inside, with pics of the sprues and everything while some plastic kits don't show the sprues and again others only show painted models and state (plastic & metal parts).
>>
>>51439883
if the paints fairly watered down i quickly grab a dry brush and try to suck up the paint into the dry bristles, and that usually does the job. if it's not watered down i dump some drops of water on it and repeat the above step.
>>
>>51439898
Why should the boots be made from the same material as the armor though?
>>
>>51439883
Best thing to do is to immediately after it happened take a clean brush loaded with water and put that on there before it has a chance to dry.
Then you wipe your brush dry and take the water with the paint off your miniature. Dry paper towels are helpful too. If you see that doing this once isn't enough adding more water is an option.
If you do this quickly enough it's like it never happened.
Granted you might have the effect of a super thin glaze, but unless you were using metal paints that usually not a big issue.

If you have an area that will be hard to color match for whatever reason consider repainting that entire area.
Or do like Bob Ross and make a happy little accident out of it and paint a patch on the trousers where you splashed paint that didn't belong there.
>>
>>51439917
>Why should the boots be made from the same material as the armor though?
I'm not saying they are. Differing material doesn't preclude the same color, though.
>>
>>51439916
>>51439920

Thanks
>>
>>51439917
I think it's just that that brown color is too saturated to be on the boots. I think it's too loud for such an unimportant part of the model
>>
>>51439906
Honestly, one of the main reasons I never bought any of the Gates of Antares stuff were the shitty studio paintjobs paired with lack of pictures big enough to see what is going on or at least pictures of the unpainted miniatures.

It must have been about a year after the Freeborn miniatures came out when I saw some GoA stuff pop up on ebay.
The pictures of the packaging were quite a bit larger and for the first time I realized that the tattoos on the guys were not part of the rest of the clothing they were wearing cause EVERYTHING is blue.
Upon closer inspection the models are fairly faithful to the look of the Fremen in Dune even, I just never realized that before while looking at the pictures.

Warlord is literally killing the game with shitty presentation.
>>
>>51439951
its partially shitty presentation and partially the rules being fairly bland and overcomplicated
i jumped on the hype train with my group and it quickly became very same-y feeling every game
>>
>>51439968
Oh man, the rules are another thing.
I got the Beta rules which felt more like a collection of notes with zero editing and fairly obvious logic holes in them.

Then once they are done they ask for the Rulebook as much as GW does.

Basically buying a starter or the rulebook costs the same amount of money.
Then they put in the second starter they sell while the first one is still available everywhere the same faction like in the first one.

I mean wouldn't it make way more sense to do two starters with different factions? Especially when you are trying to gauge the market and find out what sells?

I haven't even bought a single piece of AoG product, but I'm already pissed of at Warlord.

How can you fuck up so badly.

Sorry about the rant.
>>
>>51440019
they've been fucking up quite a bit, especially releasing a ton of shit for factions which already have most of their range filled(C3, boromites, algoryn), but completely ignoring others(isorians)
the most irritating part is all the people who hate GW at the club tout it as the second coming and so much more enjoyable than any other game out there, when it really isnt particularly special
>>
>>51440057
>the most irritating part is all the people who hate GW at the club tout it as the second coming and so much more enjoyable than any other game out there, when it really isnt particularly special
Yeah my impression is that they are basically making all the same mistakes.
Like pushing Concord as poster boys like Space Marines.
And - at least the fluff I've read - it sounds pretty similar to 40k. The Gates of Antares are basically just renamed Eldar webway gates or something.

Dunno.
Been mulling over wether or not I should fill an order I'm gonna make with GoA stuff to get free shipping and have a look at the models, but I'm really conflicted about the whole thing.

I want to like it. I just can't...
>>
File: WTBCleanlines.jpg (114KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WTBCleanlines.jpg
114KB, 900x1200px
I need help /wip/ I wish I could say this was my first painted mini but I've been painting for a monthish now, and I'm really struggling with eldar atm, I can paint space marines/tyranids/necrons okay but I just can't get clean shading on these motherfuckers. help.
>>
>>51440457

You just need either a sharper brush or more practice painting small things precisely.
>>
>>51440457
Shouldn't be too hard. Base coat the entire model, wash all the blue with nuln oil, go over the blue bits with a lighter blue, avoiding recesses. Apply an even lighter blue as an edge highlight, then do all the little details however you fancy. Just remember to thin your paints and apply two thin coats, as our lord and saviour Duncan decreed, and the colours should go on smoothly and solidly.

As for the white, I hear that Ulthuan Grey with a White Scar highlight works well. Using pure white as the base coat leaves you nothing brighter to highlight with.
>>
>>51440476
I don't know what blue to use to highlight with, everything I've tried is to contrasting, what's one blue lighter than telcis blue?
>>
>>51440457
Dunno. This is one of the things hard to diagnose or show over the internet.

Do you have somebody IRL with more experience who could help you develop your brushcontrol?
A local Gamestore that does painting lessons or that you could badger for help?

You could also check out some youtube videos.

The only thing I can diagnose for sure from that picture is that you have trouble getting the paint where you want it.
That could be for any number of reasons, though.

Quick checklist
>does your brush have a good tip?
>does your brush have a good tip?
>seriously, you need a good tip. Otherwise this is pointless.
>do you overload your brush?
>do you have shaky hand?
>can you rest your wrists against something to stabilize?
>are you patient enough to work cleanly?
>>
>>51440524
Looks like Teclis Blue is the next one up, if you want to avoid high contrast.

Also, >>51440532 listen to this dude. A good brush tip is essential. If your brush is getting shabby you either need to properly clean and reshape it or get rid.
>>
>>51440556
Sorry, Lothern Blue. I knew I took that screenshot for a reason.
>>
File: IMG-20170126-WA0034.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170126-WA0034.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Just finished lord solar macharius.

Obviously the face needs some shadibg and highlighting but il get to it
>>
>>51437648

I used to have some stuff designed for smoothing out foam, all it really was was some kind of sandable filler. Something like that would serve to get rid of the texture, provide a paintable surface, and give it a little protection from damage.
>>
>>51437648
maybe an undercoat of latex paint
>>
>>51437648
Paint it with texture paint for walls first. That stuff is designed to make things look like stone (or other material). Then you paint it.
>>
File: Capturee.jpg (19KB, 237x285px) Image search: [Google]
Capturee.jpg
19KB, 237x285px
what color do you think this cloth highlight is??
>>
>>51440457
>>51440476

This the best way to get clean shades is to basecoat, then paint the recesses (no need to be too careful) with shade. Then paint over the raised areas with the base coat again leaving the recesses but cleaning the edges up.
>>
>>51440741
Not sure exactly which purple they've used for the first highlight, but GW often do the last highlight on purple with Dawnstone, if that helps at all.
>>
>>51440741
Violet + white.
>>
Anyone got a cheap source for 90x52mm oval bases?
>>
File: wip.png (600KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
wip.png
600KB, 1920x1280px
I've been putting together an infographic about painters on Youtube so we all don't have to deal with playing against shitty models. I'm only 2 and a half people in and I'm already bored.
So far I need to add:
>Dr Faust's Painting Clinic
>Apathetic Fish
>StrikingScorpion88
>Miniwargaming
Anyone else?
>>
>>51440843
afaik only gw does that size
>>
>>51440879
Fuck. I dont want to pay 2€ per base :(
>>
>>51440879
them and 3rd party suppliers, but those are generally more expensive, not less.
>>
>>51440847
I would like to clarify that the world's best painters are not in youtube (well, aside from Komets).

Some of them have blogs/websites where they put tutorials, others not.

Of course, you have a lot of websites with plenty of tutorials: CMON, MassiveVoodoo, etc.

Most pro painters just don't have time to film and edit hours and hours of video so they rather take some pictures and write down the steps.
>>
>>51440906
Ok, thanks. Will look include blogs.
>>
>>51440900
name of those suppliers?
>>
>>51440918
If you don't know many painters you can go to CMON, go to the best painters overall top list and look which ones have a website. A few that come to my mind right now: Karol Rudyk, Bohun, Sergio Calvo, Banshee, the painter from Infinity, Kirill Kanaev...
>>
>>51440955
>the painter from Infinity
angel giraldez
>>
>>51440925
Check ali express nigger
>>
>>51440999
no 90x52 on ali
>>
>>51440925
http://www.sarissa-precision.com/90x52mm_Oval_Base_Pack/p1603368_14535621.aspx
http://bitsofwar.com/home/425-windfall-bases-oval-90mm.html (and 2 other themes)
http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/hobby-accesories/281-mdf-wood-laser-cut-aos-bases-oval-pill-90x52mm.html

The MDF pack at Greenstuff World is a pack of 6 for €2.50
>>
>>51441037
Those prices are actually reasonable.

Problem being mdf bases are flatter than the typical GW base so you have to glue two of them on top of each other to get the same hight for your minis.
>>
>>51441037
>>51441049
Also, MDF bases suck
>>
>>51441049
3mm height sounds pretty close to what GW generally has.
>>
>>51440843
if none of the 3rd party options do it for you and you don't like the mdf thing you could try casting the bases.
Should be easy enough, it's on open mould and you could probably even get away with using oyumaru or something like that.
You only need a putty or resin that cures hard.
Something like milliput should work quite well.
>>
>>51441133
Yeah thanks, I guess that'll do. Still trying to get my hands on some on ebay, but those are still quite rare. Somehow 15 years ago, when I was starting to play the Warhams, I always had shitloads of bases left over...
>>
>>51441176
Yeah. GW used to cast the bases on a tiny sprue with 4 bases each.
A blister with a single mini usually had 4 bases.

And back in the day you could also buy the bases in bags.
Got a bunch of 40mm round and square bases that way. That would cost a lot of money these days.
>>
>>51436224
Goddamn, even if she were wearing normal shoes she'd be huge.
>>
>>51441254
>>Yeah. GW used to cast the bases on a tiny sprue with 4 bases each.
>A blister with a single mini usually had 4 bases.
Yeah it was great how you almost always ended up with a couple of spare bases to do what you wanted with when you bought something from GW, until they went fulljew.
>>
>>51441263
The trooper to the left is like "oh shit, that's a huge bitch".
>>
>>51441355
>when the schola makes you grow two extra wounds after selection day
>>
File: 12345678.jpg (34KB, 357x244px) Image search: [Google]
12345678.jpg
34KB, 357x244px
>>51441355

Hey baby, So er... are you 32mm scale? because I hear 28mm goes into 32mm pretty well
>>
>>51441355
How much you want to bet we get a new race of abhumans that are abnormally tall but otherwise normal?
>>
File: 1335976859257.png (948KB, 600x640px) Image search: [Google]
1335976859257.png
948KB, 600x640px
>>51441587
I'll all for it if they're all female with breasts like that. Bring on the half-giantess servants of the Emperor.
>>
>>51435830
Well it seems the mega archive has been deleted.
anyone have a new link?
>>
>>51440748
I'm still working on the scheme but I think I got it?
So are you saying (these are the colours I'm using I own basically every blue and turquoise colour)
Base Thousand sons blue
Shade nuln oil in recesses
base thousand sons blue again
then layer Temple guard blue over the T-sons blue.
>>
File: 100_2549.jpg (190KB, 722x800px) Image search: [Google]
100_2549.jpg
190KB, 722x800px
Slow and steady. Camo plates were done on a whim, but I think I like it. Gotta clean up the highlights and give those skulls some tiny teeth next.

Head's still separate for painting and will probably remain separate until I can get an immolator to see which head I like the look of more

>>51441615
pls don't sexualize the inquisitor, she's a pure lady with a very serious profession
>>
https://twitter.com/WHTV_Dunc/status/825126625058680837

The memes are strong with the Dunc.
>>
>>51441973
>not a vuvuzela
One fucking job dunc.
>>
>>51441615
Where is the original image of that manga (Hentai I suppose?) from?
>>
>>51441994
'Mega Milk (prequel) Before the Mega Milks'
>>
>>51440847
Well you could have chosen a better pixture for Duncan.

>Komets
Of course I'll never be as good as him. Didn't he win SEVERAL Slayer Swords?
>>
>>51441957
I love your colour scheme.
>>
File: 1480217053435.png (17KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1480217053435.png
17KB, 180x200px
>>51442014
Thank you.
>>
File: Untitled.png (355KB, 498x449px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
355KB, 498x449px
>>51442037
Aw shucks, thanks. Maybe I should drop the smurfs and do some classic Executioners to go all-in with the blue camo look.
>>
>>51442023
At least three, but I think it's actually 4 now.
>>
>>51441957
Dude your colour scheme and execution is just so hnnnnnng
>>
>>51442133
Absolutely mental.
>>
>>51441973
Duncan is a good boy.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (507KB, 470x545px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
507KB, 470x545px
>>51440847
Best quality painters on YT in my opinion:
Lester Burlsey from Awesomepaintjob channel and the guy from BuyPainted channel (can't remember his name), oh and Schnauzerfaceminis.

Sadly, 2 of these don't upload on YT anymore (Lester and BuyPainted). But if you want tutorials then I highly recommend you check them out, especially BuyPainted, he's got a lot of tutorials for beginners, including airbrush guides + a ton of other things.

GL with your project.

pic unrelated
>>
>>51442375
Schnauzerface last uploaded a year ago as well, I swear his channel is kill.
>>
>>51442375
>BuyPainted
Brings back memories. I haven't watched him in years though. Used to love his thick polish accent and cool music in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djqmC53I_5s
>>
>>51442423
holy shit I remember him. This guy's a fucking legend.
>>
Anyone have experience with recasters here?
I'm looking to get around $400 of pure uncut Chinese death but I have a variety to get and I'm unsure who does the best vehicles or the best infantry. I've researched thoroughly in r/Yoyhammer but reviews are sometimes weighted.
>>
File: 1393672929189.jpg (9KB, 124x123px) Image search: [Google]
1393672929189.jpg
9KB, 124x123px
>>51442439
gw getting sneaky these days
>>
>>51442423
I need to invest in an airbrush. People call washes liquid skill, I call airbrushes sprayed skill
>>
File: 12209172[1].jpg (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
12209172[1].jpg
54KB, 300x300px
>>51442475
>Trying to start this flamewar again
>>
>>51442463
I'm legitimate you can check the rest of the thread and last thread for me talking about trying to find Renegade torsos and zombie arms for them to look like ghost people from New Vegas which sparked a conversation regarding the DLC's.
I know Z is kind of lowest bidder and some suspect him of just being a front for 3rd party recasters, CCoN is the next with good armor, shitty weapon arms thought. They're swamped from Chinese New Years sales. Miranda and HeyYou are high shelf but for some reason I still can't see their catalogs with a new Acrobat reader and all the reviews don't really show the quality, just bits in bags.
>>
>>51442439
>but reviews are sometimes weighted
The only real way to figure that out is ordering a small batch as a test.

Cast quality from mold to mold varies heavily, even if from the same bootleg chinese gremlin. That's why the reviews are all over the place.
>>
>>51442531
I'd imagine recasters know what a batch test looks like and will put those on the backburner for returning customers, right? Would it not be better to just buy in huge bulk from one seller that has a good reputation for replacing miscasts? If I were to batch test it might take almost half a year to place my next order if I'm satisfied.
>varies heavily
I've done extensive recasting myself and I understand completely. I just can't do what they do with the renegades, too many fiddly bits that only cast with reliable pressure method
>>
>>51442571
>I'd imagine recasters know what a batch test looks like and will put those on the backburner for returning customers, right?
Doubt that, their aim is securing more returning customers. It's their entire livelihood.
>>
>>51442520
M is in ali , H is in dark heresy gate. M is not that good comapred to the z an ccon.
>>
>>51442626
ccon is my absolute fave but I've been a little worried lately, for awhile the sale emails were coming fast and furious and I haven't gotten anything for months now. Site's still up at least
>>
>>51442626
I heard M was on FB as well but it's an invite only group, I'll check ali.
>dark heresy gate
Never heard of it, a different ali?
>M
That's surprising. I see alot of praise for M, regarding lack of detail loss especially. Some mold slips here and there however but I imagine the return policy would handle that if there is one.
Who would you say has the best armor? I have 3 basilisk cannon parts, 3 lemans, 6 rapiers, 4 wyverns and 3x3 outrider squadrons to get in addition to my 100+ renegades and I'm worried about warping/poor casts.
>>
>>51441957
>>51436224
It has a Mass Effect look but in a good way

Mostly I say it because that was literally my cammo in M3
>>
>>51442677

The selection is quiet few also, almost everything is about marines.

>>51442688

It is not bad but not as good as z and ccon. For example there are few broken parts on the greatcoats of dkks and the front visor part of the helmets are bent and slightly deformed.
Check out the pictures provided on m's ali.
For unbent cannons and crispy parts i recommend ccon. It might be a bit thin so be carefull. I broke a leman russ side in half while trying to bend it to shape. My fault desu, should have soaked it in hot water first.
>>
>>51442531
I've heard the casts arent as good on big items (knarloc anon here)

Is this a big issue? Im hoping not to shell out 100$ and get screwed
>>
>>51442881
Also if it helps, the guy that has them is Z.

Forgive me for seeming like a gw-shill, i just really want to have my Kroot hooked up. They're easily one if my favorite models, if they sold them legally I'd buy one.
>>
>>51442881

Z writes a warning on items with low cast quality and sells them cheaper. Suprisingly it is generally with big items.
>>
>>51442906
Gotcha, im still attempting to figure this out slightly. Idk where to find reviews or anything, i absolutely hate Reddit and its format, so thats probably my biggest block.
>>
>start painting Skitarii Vanguards
>brush-on primer
>almost half an hour to prime 9 guys
Ugh. Wish I could just spray them.
>>
>>51442970
Why can't you, nowhere to spray?
>>
>>51442985
I'd bet he lives far north enough that it drops below 50 F for months at a time. Primer doesn't work in that temperature.
>>
>>51437379
I think this is Valkyrie Chronicles anon, isn't it?
>>
>>51442690
More like Valkyria Chronicles. Which is genius actually.
>>
File: 1485623831435-452358413.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1485623831435-452358413.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Progress so far on cawl, man are those robes on the upper body a pain
>>
>>51443110
What's up with the frame thing? Is that 3d-printed?
>>
File: 1485624116379-1774677604.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1485624116379-1774677604.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>51443118
No idea what its supposed to be i found a few in a scrap pile and was going to cut them up for terrain
Pic related
>>
File: 1485624255538-1232229315.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1485624255538-1232229315.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>51443144
I hate my phone sometimes
>>
>>51442985
Germany, can't spray in-doors and we have 80-95% humidity currently with up to -16°C midday.
>>
>>51440532
How does one rectify a shaky hand?
>>
>>51443202
brace your hand with brush against your other hand holding the mini, and the table.
>>
>>51443202
You don't. You mitigate the shaking. Brace your wrist against something
>>
>>51443202
>can you rest your wrists against something to stabilize?

You brace yourself properly against the table, chair etc.
You hold the brush closer to the tip
You paint every day so your mind and body get used to the motions.
>>
>>51443098

I havent noticed that the first time either, whichi s a shame because i am a huge fan of it.

Probably because of the colors being more darker shades of blue rather than paler ones.
>>
>>51443202
1. Wrists on the table.
2. Hands together.
3. Paint with your fingers, not your hands.
>>
>>51442970
Would the dip method work if you brush all the excess off? I've seen that stuff to be pretty forgiving.
>>
>>51442906
Probably due to inability to get good pressure in the mold to get air out. It can be mitigated through pressurization but mold should be made out of steel to not suffer damage in pressure chamber.
>>
File: 20170128_124041~01.jpg (185KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_124041~01.jpg
185KB, 1024x768px
Followed a tutorial by the terrain tutor for cobblestone walls. They look good and are easy to do, but take forever
>>
File: paint.png (16KB, 763x564px) Image search: [Google]
paint.png
16KB, 763x564px
>>51443202
Stabilize your brush hand onto your palm which is firmly resting on the arm of a chair or table.
>>
File: Bale_oooh.jpg (11KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
Bale_oooh.jpg
11KB, 320x272px
>>51443344
Wish I could melt steel molds
>>
File: this.jpg (153KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
153KB, 480x640px
Salamander termie librarian. Hate up close pics because the edge highlighting looks shit. Looks good a few feet away though.
>>
>>51443420
An alternative is leaning to one side with your left arm vertical
>>
File: DSCN1629.jpg (1MB, 1000x1528px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1629.jpg
1MB, 1000x1528px
99% done
>>
>>51443214
>>51443223
>>51443228
>>51443250
>>51443420
>>51443471
Thank you, all.
>>
>>51443460
salamanders are black black, not nigga black
>>
File: 20170126_230656.jpg (766KB, 1359x1385px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_230656.jpg
766KB, 1359x1385px
I finished it and have an apocalypse game in two hours.
Now to set down 1000 points of going to die turn one.
>>
>>51443375
Now paint it.
>>
>>51443158
These are for painting, they are for getting excess paint off the brush, or resting your brush in the pan so it isnt in the pool.

At least, thats what my family uses them for
>>
>>51443605
Gods, i want to make Starship Trooper bugs out of tyranids.
>>
File: c0080309_49adc8973d0e5.jpg (277KB, 756x468px) Image search: [Google]
c0080309_49adc8973d0e5.jpg
277KB, 756x468px
>>51443670

They're out there anon
>>
>>51443760
Why, why do people show me this, im too broke for these revelations
>>
>>51440741
Ulthuan grey with a really thinned down purple wash.
>>
>>51443811

I feel you there. It's quite old too but my friend has a copy from years back. I don't know how easy it would be to get hold of now.
I remember it being pretty good but the arachnids were frail
>>
>>51443811
Yeah the brainbug and tank bugs are like $80 on ebay.

Sorry.
>>
>>51443811
Out of production for a while i think
>>
File: image.jpg (235KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235KB, 768x1024px
Just about done on the SW from BoP. A suprisingly easy mini to paint.

Obviously basing etc still to do.

R8?
>>
>>51444017
The fur and hair are very very nice, but the grey highlights on black need cleaning up.
>>
File: IMG_20170128_104435.jpg (5MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170128_104435.jpg
5MB, 3024x4032px
What's everyone working on today? I'm magnetizing all of my turrets for my Razorbacks and making a few custom Las/plas turrets
>>
>>51444116
5mb awful photo desu
>>
>>51444175
>worrying about data caps
>>
File: 1484414540558.jpg (23KB, 310x448px) Image search: [Google]
1484414540558.jpg
23KB, 310x448px
Someone know what paint are this?
>>
>>51444237

I really dont need to see that hunk of plastic in 5 mb.
>>
>>51437516
>not painting the magazine the right color
I shiggity do da shiggity day.
>>
>>51444316
Then look at the thumbnail.
>>
File: rps20170128_194421.jpg (103KB, 979x1224px) Image search: [Google]
rps20170128_194421.jpg
103KB, 979x1224px
Finished. Kept the birds white at request of my partner, sorry all who wanted black birds
>>
File: rps20170128_194616.jpg (110KB, 1152x1224px) Image search: [Google]
rps20170128_194616.jpg
110KB, 1152x1224px
>>51444600
Back
>>
>>51444600
Christ she needs pupils/iris. Looks like a fucking ghoul
>>
>>51435830
WIP Van Saars, awaiting metallic basecoats.
>>
>>51444655
That's the intent
>>
>>51444655
Think that's the point?

>>51444600
>>51444614
I like goth Celestine!
>>
File: 1485633241937-195869106.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1485633241937-195869106.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Progress!
Only some minor details and touch ups left.
>>
>>51443605
DAMN that's sexy. You've won before even starting the battle!
>>
>>51444473
whether he looks at the thumbnail or not you're image is still garbage.
>>
>>51444704
>Only some minor details and touch ups left.
Literally nothing looks shaded/highlighted to me, are you sure?
>>
>>51444600
Boooo no ravens with red eyes, booooo

Nah but it looks really nice, even if you didnt use my idea.
>>
>>51444754
Robes and metal plates are both shaded and highlighted it might be my shitty phone picture quality
>>
>>51444746
>My image

Its like you cant even conceive that more than one person is tired of your autistic fascination with how other people post.
>>
>>51444807
>autistic fascination with how other people post.
100% of the content on this website is how other people post. What else should people be concerned with?
>>
>>51437545
>immolator as a pimped out inquisitorial rhino/razorback
The Immolator is a 15 point cheaper Razorback that gains Twin-Linked and Shield of Faith. It would be stupid to take it as anything else.
> Seems strange they didn't include the immolator in the castellan detachment.
Take it as a dedicated transport for a squad of girls. Battle Sisters are cheap bodies in Power Armor (that will come back in a Castellans detachment), Dominions are A-class suicide squads, and retributors will absolutely fuck up deathstars with Rending Heavy Flamers.
>>
>>51435889
how do they get that gold? its so light and clean
>>
>>51445163
If I had to guess it's a whole lot of coats of extremely thin paint over a white or silver base then some more steely-coloured coats over the top (even lighter) to make it a bit more washed-out.
>>
File: IMG_2091.jpg (2MB, 2737x2023px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2091.jpg
2MB, 2737x2023px
wip shoggoth
>>
File: TL AC + Las Plas.jpg (245KB, 1222x484px) Image search: [Google]
TL AC + Las Plas.jpg
245KB, 1222x484px
>>51444116
Just to advise. It's supposed to be a twin-linked plasma gun, not plasma cannons.
Just in case you weren't aware.
Looks sweet though. Better than mine.
>>
File: 20170128_213944.jpg (59KB, 200x329px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_213944.jpg
59KB, 200x329px
>when your dad goes nuts for stupid shit and you start hanging out with bad people out of spite
>>
>>51444116
>>51445241

For any folks looking to do TLAC, just in case you were considering the FW turret: The LR Crusader Sprue from GW has a ready-to-rock, no modifications TLAC turret on it, and the whole sprue is 4 quid less than the FW version (and you can get it shipped free to your store, instead of FW shipping prices)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Upgrade-Pack-Land-Raider-Crusader

Still expensive, but you get bits you can use elsewhere and it's cheaper than Forgeworld.
>>
>>51445253
Looks good, if nowhere near how I imagined him from the books.
>>
>>51445253
fuckin' noice!
>>
>>51445212
I'm thinking not just mouths and eyes, but spines? Might help.
>>
>>51445311

That's because the sculpture went full retard.

Aurelian was supposed to be beautiful and the Primarch to most resemble his Father.

Instead we got some ancient looking crotchety old grandpa sculpt.

That model is saved with a good helmet swop.
>>
>>51445468
I was more talking about that I imagined him with Mediterranean skintone, but OK.
>>
>>51445253
Are you going to tattoo his face with all those writings or leave it like that

Pretty fucking awesome, I wish I could do 1/4th of what you can do. The eyes are teh best
>>
>tfw want to play warhammer
>tfw hate the models
>tfw have grand designs of converting various tamiya armour kits and warhammer infantry models to make a cool-looking imperial guard army combining real fucking nato tanks and armour with warhammer infantry flair and sticking warhammer tank gubbins on the tanks to make neat conversions

I imagine it would be impossible to get a game with a kitbashed army like that, though.

My armoured vehicle autism disallows me from using any warhammer armoured vehicles, sadly. I can't get over how fucking stupid they are. I like the infantry models though.
>>
>>51445844
also look at other mini manufactures.

the scale models tend to be oversize, since most you find are 1/35 scale.

you wanna look for 1/28 heroic at best.

also, so long as the models are roughly the same size, most people do not care, especially if you are not a dick, and cool.
>>
>>51445844
As long as you dont play in a GW store and all your vehicles are consistent (I.E, all your chimeras are halftrakks, all your leman russes are panzer 3s, and not I got 2 chimeras one is a half trakk the other is a transport truck) and theyre wysiwyg youll be good
>>
>>51445844
No player worth actually playing against will deny you a game with that, as long as it's clear what's what and what it's equipped with, and everything's about the right size. I'm currently planning a Mechanicum army where all but 7 of my models are converted in some way, although because of base sizes it's easier for non-vehicle stuff. Err on the large side so you don't get easier cover, and it will be fine.

We expect cool and properly resized pics, though. Price of doing business here.
>>
>>51445972
>1/28
Nigga that's so out of scale wtf
>>
>>51445972
you mean 1:56 not 1:28, right? 1:56 corresponds to 28 mm base sizes for ~6ft tall dudes.
>>
How do people get little pins in the feet of their dudes so they can hold them still while doing sub-assembly painting?
>>
>>51446067
>>51445972
>>51446089
yup
meant 28mm
>>
File: 41oJWD-AHaL._SX355_.jpg (14KB, 355x216px) Image search: [Google]
41oJWD-AHaL._SX355_.jpg
14KB, 355x216px
>>51446091
small screw driver, paper clips, and glue.
>>
File: 940e722205ba9b3ba9611826b7f5b837.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
940e722205ba9b3ba9611826b7f5b837.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
>>51445972
Yeah, getting the proper sizes is going to be the biggest challenge. I want to use cold war armour because WW2 is boring and modern is... too modern. Though it can look cool.

>>51445977
>As long as you dont play in a GW store
This is my problem. Last time I played I was about 14. Where else is there to play but GW stores?

And yeah, consistency is obviously crucial.

>>51445982
Sounds good.

>cool and properly resized pics
Might be a while. I'm currently getting a replacement airbrush shipped up when my tax return finally comes through because I exploded my last one (through a series of unfortunate events).

I definitely will, when I have something worth posting though.

Pic isn't mine but it's sorta what I'd be going for.
>>
>>51446105
And then just stick the bastards into some cork to hold them up?

I just realized I forgot to buy the paints needed for my guardsmen's skin, so I figured if I could do that little pinning thing I could do their heads and arms later but get their bodies done now.
>>
>>51446144
yep. if you stick pins in the feet, you can also use those to pin into scenic bases by drill holes in the base. my hqs and stuff are on cork bases so pinning them in place really helps.
>>
>>51446111
the things known as Friendly local game stores (FLGS)

usually they cater to a bunch of games, and tend to do one game per day of the week, so magic one night, xwing another, etc. you wanna look for a store with a good community, and one that works distance wise.

the more diverse the products they sell, usually the better
>>
>>51446173
I'll have to get started on doing that.

I need to learn to magnetize too, so many options out there.
>>
This might be a dumb question but I wanted to ask before I try anything, is there any techniques for getting a "black" metal? I want to leave my Skitarii's guns black but I think matte black would look odd?
>>
>>51446262
try this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaUunMIrAuY
>>
>>51446288
There really is a Duncan video for every question.
>>
File: IMG_20170128_171005.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170128_171005.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Is imperial primer supposed to be so chunky and bubbly, even after vigorous shaking and mixing?
>>
>>51446111
Use this
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA//store/storefinder.jsp
Set to your country, its on the bottom of the page, look for independant retailers near you.
>>
>>51446393
as someone who uses imperial primer
no
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (813KB, 3520x1980px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
813KB, 3520x1980px
I'm moving into a new place pretty soon, gonna need a new workstation.

Post setups and where you bought its components if you remember.
>>
File: 1484569990533.png (173KB, 500x758px) Image search: [Google]
1484569990533.png
173KB, 500x758px
>>51446111

>WW2
>Boring
>>
I'm new to age of sigmar and painting models in general. Im starting a sylvaneth army from the start collecting box and I put the owl on a few of the dryads. I'm wondering what would be a good way to do the feathers to make it look like a snowy owl, I already have a base of ceramite white but am a little lost after that
>>
>>51438661
Is styrofoam a sturdy enough material?

>>51446393
Can't tell exactly from the picture, but when I used it it was thick as treacle, or like tar without the stickiness. I do remember it not being bubbly or chalky or anything, but going on smoother than I had expected.
>>
>>51446655
Bought a table at ikea.
Got a sorting thing for screws from a hardware store for bits and mounted that with a cork board on the wall above the table.
That way you can pin references or whatever at eye level to the wall in front of you.
>>
File: IMG_20170128_173704.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170128_173704.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>51446691
>>
File: 71JkizzruwL._SL1500_.jpg (66KB, 1500x971px) Image search: [Google]
71JkizzruwL._SL1500_.jpg
66KB, 1500x971px
>>51446655
i bought this lamp recently. the difference it has made has been astounding. i rarely use the magnifying part as being able to have that much light next to the mini has been really helped my brush and paint precision.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQ0L6WM/
>>
>>51445844
40k vehicles are all sorts of out of scale. A Rhino is roughly the same size as a 1/35 M113, but significantly shorter in length. A Leman Russ is the same width as a 1/48, but much wider and taller. In order to fit a squad of ten heroic "" scale "" Space Marines in a Rhino you'd need something like a 1/32 scale for your vehicles, but then your tanks will be enormous.
>>
>>51446751
Yeah, that's not how I remember my IP.

It was thicc, but it was not "globby", if you know what I mean.
>>
So I broke my airbrush's nozzle after tightening it a bit too much.

Anyone know where I can buy just a nozzle? It's some cheap, brandless airbrush that came with a foxhunter compressor.
>>
>>51446751
It's donezo.

You could still try it on a sprue and see how that goes, but you should definitely keep it away from seagulls and penguins :^)
>>
>>51446799
>>51446809
oh boy
>>
File: DSC00097.jpg (662KB, 2564x966px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00097.jpg
662KB, 2564x966px
My raider only needs it 3 riders to be done.
Please tell me how it looks so far? Im not used to painting vehicles that are so clean...
>>
>>51445844
IF you have a fully converted army you are better at warhammer than the vast majority of its playerbase, and if people won't play a game against you they are probably trash
>>
>>51445844
>tfw want to play warhammer
>tfw hate the models
I don't get it.
If you don't like the models what is the point?
There are loads of alternatives, just pick a game that you actually like the models of.
>>
Thoughts on using sigmarines for truescale SM conversions? I'll be recasting so price isn't an issue.
>>
>>51446835
is it too late to redesign your skull sail?
>>
>>51446890
>Thoughts on using sigmarines for truescale SM conversions?
Only if you fix the shin armor. Otherwise they just look like siggies with SM heads.
>>
>>51446913
B-but its metal as fuck dude...
>>
>>51440847
I'm a Maximum Amateur:

Beasts of War (recommended everyone watch Romaines Colour Theory videos)
Bell of Lost Souls
GMP Miniatures
Miniwargaming
Orcpainternerd
Girlpainting

I've served my time in Washtown and like painting shit:

Corvus Miniatures
Dr Faust
SchnauzerFaceMiniatures
WarhammerTV

I'm considering becoming an airbrusher:

Buypainted
Awesomepaintjob
>>
>>51446917
Custodes lower legs, maybe?
>>
>>51446890
No. Truescale is a meme. It's literally everything else that is out of scale, as well as the weapons. Marines are only a foot taller than a regular 6' man. They're not 8 or 9 feet that truescale makes them seem like.
>>
>>51446288
Absolutely perfect, of course I can rely on Duncan. Cheers
>>
>>51435889
>disliking qt greyfax
>>
>>51447050
Literally the same problem.

>>51447051
Also this.

Of you want to make good looking 'truescale' then get good at greenstuff and add a little bit to a regular marine's legs.
>>
>>51447051
no, 7 foot tall marines are a meme. They come in all sizes and strengths depending on the author.
>>
>>51446835
the sail design really ruins it. it looks pretty nice otherwise
>>
File: info sm marine 7 feet height.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
info sm marine 7 feet height.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>51447112
>no, 7 foot tall marines are a meme
Right...
A meme perpetuated by the GW design studio and Jes Goodwin. You know, the guy who designed the fuckers.
>>
>>51444600
>>51444614
solid job my dude. I dig the black makeup goth look.
>>
>>51447211
damn, one guy said it, it must be the complete truth, even though tons of other GW official authors say they can be anywhere from 6 feet to 10 feet tall. And in the horus heresy covers the marines are almost twice the size of normal humans, and the primarchs are even larger. But nah, lets discount all of this just because one guy said otherwise. They must be a bunch of clones who can never be above 7 feet.
>>
>>51447112
Nigga marines are canonically 7' tall. And if we go by the corrected meme chart shown in >>51447211, they're 6' tall.
>>
>>51447289
Height variance is a thing, but marines were never XBAWKSHUEG, anon.
>>
File: 1435136606470.jpg (281KB, 950x463px) Image search: [Google]
1435136606470.jpg
281KB, 950x463px
>>51447289
>one guy

You mean official GW material? But nah, lets let a bunch of BL authors dictate over the company itself.
>>
>>51447051
What? The problem with heroic scale isn't the weapons, it's flattened torsos, stubby legs, and enormous heads. By the time you've lengthened the legs and thickened the torso, you've got a model the size of a pauldronless centurion. Sigmarines are already roughly proportional and about the same size as a truescale converted SM. It doesn't make them look tall except in comparison to squat and stubby GW SM and human models. I'll also have humans in my army that are a hair taller than a GW SM but proportionally correct.
>>
>>51447400
>isn't the weapons
The Leman Russ would have to disagree.

So would almost every melee weapon.

As for humies, comapre FW stuff to GW stuff. Much smaller and well proportioned.
>>
>>51447428
My point was that 30" bore mortars fit the setting but genetically engineered superhumans with legs that end at the knees don't.
>>
File: 5iRK75Aia.jpg (68KB, 778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
5iRK75Aia.jpg
68KB, 778x1000px
>>51446975
I was thinking that maybe you could make a big half a skull but that still would be hard, but maybe if it was bigger you would have a easier time making it look good.
>>
File: Grates.jpg (781KB, 2080x1544px) Image search: [Google]
Grates.jpg
781KB, 2080x1544px
I made a thing. Six things, actually. One more of each to go before I mold them and cast them, hopefully by the end of this weekend.
>>
>>51447386
but BL is part of the company.
>>
>>51447050
>>51447080
What exactly is the problem?
>>
File: keep-calm-and-build-churches.png (553KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-build-churches.png
553KB, 600x700px
>>51447621
>>51447467
>>51447428
>>51447400
>>51447386
>>51447355
>>51447292
>>51447289
>>51447211
>>51447112
>>51447080
>>51447051

Hope you folks don't mind me opening a window, it's getting awfully autistic in here.
>>
File: xbpypq4c.jpg (231KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
xbpypq4c.jpg
231KB, 640x360px
>>51446656
>ww2
>superior to THIS
>>
File: Photoshopped sail.png (1MB, 1282x966px) Image search: [Google]
Photoshopped sail.png
1MB, 1282x966px
>>51447533
Still pretty hard complicated, this is what I meant though.
>>
File: 1456428100790.jpg (193KB, 1057x801px) Image search: [Google]
1456428100790.jpg
193KB, 1057x801px
>>51447664
We will remember, anon
>>
>>51446851
I like the rules and the infantry and I have fond memories of playing it as a kid. It also has a much larger community that's more fun to interact with.

When I said I hate the models I really just mean the tanks and some of the more retarded ones.

The fluff is fun too.
>>
>>51446845
Sad but true.
>>
>>51447700
Holy shit this was a year ago???
>>
>>51447717
Yep. My tripdubs are tripdubs of time wasted and reminiscences
>>
File: d20af8f0c6b0bb053f34866d54794df7.jpg (192KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
d20af8f0c6b0bb053f34866d54794df7.jpg
192KB, 1024x768px
In the spirit of tank conversions...

would you?
>>
>>51447740
It's like this god awful relationship I just recently got out of warped time and space..
>>
>>51444600
Yeah, ravens might have "unbalanced" the model and made it look too dark.
White with purple wash makes them look surreal, and accomplishes the same thing.
Seriously, stunning model! Great use of alternative colour choices!
>>
>>51447763
>not just cutting the sides to make two supertreads
>>
>>51447763
W-what is that?
>>
>>51447664
What was wrong with this again?
>>
File: CNCR_Mammoth_tank.png (332KB, 899x544px) Image search: [Google]
CNCR_Mammoth_tank.png
332KB, 899x544px
>>51447831
MAMMOTH TANK REPORTING
>>
>>51447875
Cool.
What's the model converted from?
>>
File: 1455515141804.jpg (83KB, 600x886px) Image search: [Google]
1455515141804.jpg
83KB, 600x886px
>>51447847
The anon that posted it had been posting it over and over, one day somebody mentioned that the piece of the terrain on the base looked like a small church with a steeple and everyone agreed, but the anon took offense to it and outright refused that was the case. He then went on to make the next thread with the OP being some bitchy passive aggressive post and then everybody tore into the guy. He just came across as ultra pompous and up his own ass.
I offered help and suggested the scrawling on his knight be done more like this, the prior method being just horrible (not like I said it outright either) and he lashed out
>>
>>51447902
Looks like it was based off a Baneblade but I'd be surprised if it wasn't 70% scratchbuilt.
>>
>>51447289
Dunno what hh you're reading but armored they're noted to be around a third bigger than the standard human but yeah there's some variance but I think we're talking a foot in either direction, not something as drastic as two feet but hey it's all imaginary space toys so on some level it reaaally doesn't matter.
>>
I thought renegade torsos would look like shit with cadian legs but the command squad literally just have cadian legs with armored plates and accessories over them. Plasticard and greenstuff can actually do them justice..
>>
File: 1475450762163.jpg (157KB, 917x595px) Image search: [Google]
1475450762163.jpg
157KB, 917x595px
>>51448024
space marine sizes are a load of shit when you look at official HH art covers. which are monitored by gw, so they're just as canon as anything else.
>>
File: 1463378154477.jpg (147KB, 720x529px) Image search: [Google]
1463378154477.jpg
147KB, 720x529px
>>51448134
and in one HH book they said primarchs are as tall to space marines as space marines are to humans, and then you see a cover with primarchs by humans.
>>
>>51448134
>chooses Custodes to illustrate his point

Dingus.
>>
>>51448134
>>51448152
If it will cause this shit to stop, I've seen people call what's commonly known as 'truescale' 'artscale' instead.

Art is art, published dimensions are as 'true' as true gets in these parts, but making marines look like they do in art is fun and cool.
>>
File: Indians final.jpg (491KB, 948x1950px) Image search: [Google]
Indians final.jpg
491KB, 948x1950px
>>
>>51448203
its the end of the thread anyways.
>>
>>51448134
>>51448152
Yeah it's all inconsistent and silliness I don't get why people get so wound up about it, it's essentially people arguing about their imagination being more right than someone else's. Whatever their portrayal, they all look cool (except for those old 3d render marine covers like Horus Rising) despite how over the top it gets.
>>
Magnetised my first part lads.
Feel a bit like the apes from 2001.
>>
>>51448203
This kind of stuff is what's getting fixed with truescale/artscale, not the relative height difference between humans and Space Marines. You could just as well make a truescale Marine the same height as a GW heroic scale Marine, except that you run into problems with the availability of compatible models and bits.

You'd have to use a carapace armor equivalent like Dreamforge Eisenkern to represent your fully armored Space Marines, and then you'd run into problems trying to model humans in varying levels of armor. If you go larger with your Space Marines, you have the option of mixing and matching parts from Terminators, Sigmarines, Custodes, and dozens of third party equivalents.
>>
>>51447690
Could try that
>>
>>51448596
Thanks, I know that marines have monkey proportions, I was mostly hoping that 'artscale' would make people less triggered about it.
>>
This imperial primer is not so uplifting... I tried watering it down, but it never became a tar black viscose liquid. It's just watery with grey bubbles. I think I'm just going to buy a spray can of grey valspar primer.
>>
>>51448596

That proportion thing is retarded. For example the upper left you can clearly see the guy is a fucking manlet. I tried the lower right and my forearm is way longer than my hand and I have long hands.
>>
>>51449146
Checks out here, Tarzan.
>>
>>51442881 Got a fw bloodthirster from him , pretty good cast, not perfect but once painted undistinguishable
>>
>>51449180

Whatever you say, fatty mcmanlet.
>>
>>51449180

No, that drawing's limbs are way too short.
>>
Does anyone know a good tutorial for making bricks for bases out of sprues? I've seen people mentioning it and I have a shit ton of sprues but no idea how to really do it.
>>
>>51449146
>>51449779
>>51449818
there is nothing wrong with the drawing and your mockup is comparing something that is not a straightened hand.
In any case it supposed to be a rough guideline.

People use 7 or 8 heads depending on what they are trying to portray. 8 head tend to be more idealized for example.
Proportions are also a stylistic choice.

Stop shitting up the thread with your uninformed opinions, please and get back on topic.
So unless you got a wip of a truescale conversion to share shut up.
>>
File: IMAG0081.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0081.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
Finally finished my first 40K model. Well not exactly, there's some edge highlighting to done, but for my own sanity I'm taking that a little but at a time.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>51450174
Looks alright dude, keep going. Not keen on the 'pooledwashes on the surface' look, but one step at a time.
>>
>>51450174
It's a properly painted Tau, that's good already.

A bit too dirty for my tastes, but that's just my opinion. Looks nice.
>>
>>51450209
>>51450224
I wanted them be filthy although I understand the sentiment of the pooled washes, it was honestly me getting lazy after applying it and not paying attention.

But I figured it works well enough with the fluff I made for them
>>
>>51450293
We get that a lot around here, but it will be something people pick up on.

We know what weathering looks like, and we know what pooled washes look like, and they are not the same. Pic related was one of the first things I could find on google.
>>
>>51450293
pooled washes just makes it look like they went through the rain and the shoddy paintjob started washing off.
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.