[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D new players questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: D&D.png (159KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
D&D.png
159KB, 300x300px
First time playing. I gotta be the DM, using the starter 5th edition, but how should i have the table set up? should i draw the maps from the campaign with graph paper so we can have a visual representation?
>>
I feel your pain, I used to play AD&D 2ed back when i was in high school. I have decided to recreate that fun using Fantasy Grounds (available on Steam) and Campaign Cartographer 3. I am developing a game we can play online, because now we all live across the world. I am using D&D 5 rules so if you need help, maybe we can help eachother
>>
>>51435679
i just started dming for complete dudebro 1st timers

i didn't even bother with maps or grids, just use tokens for characters and it works.

I'm gonna start using grids and battlemats though, tried it out last sess and it helped.

personally I'd get myself a battlegrid with square 1" tiles that you can use dry erase markers on for on the fly changes/additions. I personally am 90% of the time making whatevers happening in my campaign up on the spot

LMoP has player made, high quality maps tho. If you have access to high quality printing stuff you could print them off I guess? or just print of normal page sized versions of these to use them as reference for your players.

Lots of people use grid paper and just draw on it. Grid paper in the size you'd need for battlemaps would be pretty big though

here are those LMoP maps

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?760586-Various-maps-I-ve-made-for-the-Starter-Set-(Lost-Mine-of-Phandelver)
>>
>>51435679
not really

if you really want the maps, the 5eg mega link should have a zip file of all the maps
>>
>>51435679
If you're willing to splurge a bit I'd recommend grabbing a wet- or dry-erase board (or, better yet, mat so you can roll it up for easy storage and transport). You should also make sure you guys have some sort of figures to use for keeping track of locations. Printed paper circles with pictures on them and fine, Lego guys are fine, actual D&D minis are fine too.

Also, don't necessarily show them maps for everything. Not all groups are big on the tactical positioning thing, so you might be able to get away with just showing them the maps in the books (with paper or something covering up any text they shouldn't see) and then keep track of approximate positions in your head. It really comes down to your group's preferred style.
>>
just FYI
>>
that is just a prototype map, so feel free to use it, just don't play it off like you created it
>>
my name is Justin FYI aka jojo
>>
>>51437463
We're on an anonymous messaging board, nobody gives two shits what your name is.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.