[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best /tg/-related video game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 292
Thread images: 72

File: 1461855670907.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461855670907.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
What's the best /tg/-related video game?
>>
>>51429545
feisty girls with wide hips and nimble tail
>>
File: annah_party.jpg (47KB, 422x600px) Image search: [Google]
annah_party.jpg
47KB, 422x600px
>>51428881
>"What can change the nature of a man?"

>>51429568
Who?
>>
>>51428881
>best /tg/ related
Care to elaborate?
As your question is too vague, here are some good, somewhat /tg/ related games: Planescape: Torment, Xcom, Dawn of War, Fallout, Dwarf Fortress, Darkest Dungeon, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, Baldur's Gate, Diablo, EYE: Divine Cybermancy, Dark Souls, Heroes of Might and Magic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Skyrim, Sunless Sea.
>>
>>51429661
>Skyrim
>not Morrowind
>not just saying TES games to be safe
>Dark Souls
>not Demon's Souls
>>
Also Dragon's Dogma.
>>
File: PC masterrace.gif (4MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
PC masterrace.gif
4MB, 350x197px
>>51429717
>implying all the new TES games are not the same (after couple modpacks adding assorted /d/-liteful necessities)
>implying /tg/ is anything but glorious PC mustard race
>>
>>51429787
When it comes to their setting the TES games can be very different.
>>
>>51429717
To be fair, Dark Souls 3 is basically Demon's Souls but less obnoxious. Slowly walking down ladders is the worst fucking thing, and don't tell me you enjoy slow-rolling poison swamp of fuck while also fighting that stupid fucking NPC with Blind.

Bolitaria is alright though, and I was so happy Dark souls 3 did a shout out to Tower of Latria.
>>
>>51429717
I haven't played Morrowind or Demon's Souls.
>>
>>51429877
>and don't tell me you enjoy slow-rolling poison swamp of fuck while also fighting that stupid fucking NPC with Blind
To be honest, yes. I was really disappointed with DaS'ssssss swamp, felt like a cakewalk.
>>
File: unnamed.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>51429717
>>51429877

Dark one and three are both better than Demon's.

>>51428881

For the game that most closely captures the tabletop experience? Fucking Eon Altar. It's a local co-op game which is an amazing introduction to the concepts of tabletop roleplaying.

It runs on a PC with each player using their phone as a controller. In addition to getting access to controls both in and out of combat, you can also browse your character sheet and inventory, and make dialog and story choices. It even gives you the occasional secret that only your character would know, and it's your choice whether you share it with the group or not.

One really neat touch? The game has no built in dialog for the main characters. Instead, each player is given their own dialog prompts to read out. I played the game with a group of people who'd never played a TTRPG before and in fifteen minutes they were speaking in character as naturally as anything, even doing so without prompting. It's an amazing and really innovative experience.
>>
>>51429661
Don't forget FTL.
>>
>>51429937
>DaS'ssssss swamp, felt like a cakewalk
I found Blighttown and Sen's Funhouse to be one of the most challenging parts of the game on my first (blind) playthrough.
>>
>>51429937
I bet you even killed that stupid dragon and saved Biorr, you smug fuck.

I was "that guy" who used my stupid stone of ephemeral eyes too much, and wound up fighting that goddamned black phantom katana bitch at far too low a level. The only way I actually beat him was by stunlocking him with a dagger for a full stamina bar, then rolling away.

Dark Soul 1 had a more... fantasy atmosphere, particularly in the forest, by that Alice in Wonderland rip-off cat. But you're right, I missed effective piercing/fire damage actually mattering.
>>
>>51428881
Top of my list has to be KotOR and FTL.
>>
>>51430028
I'm not trying to show off by saying that I prefer the Valley of Defilement, I suffered through it the first time too and exploited the dump path finding AI to get through these giant depraved ones. But I really love how much I hate this place and how it's the most dirty, nasty and just itchy place I can think of.

>Dark Soul 1 had a more... fantasy atmosphere
Sure, DaS is more high fantasy, DeS more Dark Fantasy. In general I'm more a fan of the former, but in this case I prefer the bleak atmopshere of DeS.
>>
>>51430109
>but in this case I prefer the bleak atmopshere of DeS.
I can respect that, Dark Souls 3 hits that note perfectly, particularly in some of the earlier sections.

I really enjoyed the painted world mostly because I was a dickass mid-level twink invader. The atmosphere is perfect, it's such a comfy and relaxing place to just hang out in. I remember waiting for invasions, and just enjoying the light snowfall. The coolest place is that giant graveyard where you fight Xanthos King Jeremiah. If you clear out the enemies, you get a pretty relaxing place to escape reality.
>>
>>51430173
>I really enjoyed the painted world
My favorite place in DaS, great vertical level design, fantastic atmosphere, that fucking heart attack I got in the basement. Too bad I missed it in my first playthrough.
>>
>>51430291
When I first played through Dark Souls, I accidentally entered the painted world while hideously underlevelled.I was stuck there for almost two days, and in the end I managed to escape only by cheesing the dragon with my last arrows and using the dragon butt exploit.
>>
Crusader Kings 2
>>
So apparently - Imperium Glactica got GOG edition.
>>
File: warlords battlecry 3 06.jpg (296KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
warlords battlecry 3 06.jpg
296KB, 1280x1024px
Fall from Heaven 2 and all its submods. Endless Legends. Warlords Battlecry series.
>>
>>51430461

>Warlords Battlecry series.

My fucking god I haven't thought about those games in years. The hero customisation was so fucking cool. Godlike archmages who could lay waste to armies, excellent governors and leaders who could supercharge your base, or just total badass warriors who'd walk into your enemies base solo and slaughter them.

Fuck those were fun. Hideously imbalanced, but fun.
>>
For me?
Endless Legend
World of Warcraft
Dragons Dogma
Souls series.
Sins of a solar empire.
Ark
Warframe, to some extent.
Dota 2, dem characters.

Honourable mentions:
Dawn of War 1
Total Warhammer
Yugioh: Duelists of Roses.
>>
>>51430514
You forgot one-shotting assassins zip-zapping through the entire map or heroes that buff armies with huge amounts of exp. Fucking fey dragonslayers.
>>
Completely unrelated, but the movie West World is /tg/ as fuck.

>robots pretending to be people
>medieval wild west and roman "zones"
>regular people literally roleplaying with period actors
>magical realm
>blood shooting everywhere
>>
>>51429717
in b4 obsidian fandroid screeching about tes
>>
>>51428881
Who's the one in the middle? It's not Mazzy nor are they Edwina. My guess would probably be the Main Character or some extra from Enhanced Edition
>>
>>51430461
>Fall from Heaven 2
Mein negro
>>
>>51430656
>pretending
>medieval

nigger what
>>
>>51430553
>Dota 2, dem characters.
No need to spend time on vidya, that's what hentai is for.
>>
>>51429661
How's EYE: Divine Cybermancy?

I'm in the mood for some cyberpunk-ish stuff and thinking about giving it a try.
>>
File: just elf my shit up.jpg (180KB, 352x511px) Image search: [Google]
just elf my shit up.jpg
180KB, 352x511px
>>51428881
ow wow, an excuse to dump my "games where you can play as elves" list! Suggestions welcome, I've left the definition of elf pretty vague, pointy ears and humanoid appearance is obligatory though.

RPG
The Elder Scrolls I: Arena
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Elder Scrolls Online
Arcanum
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Pillars Of Eternity
Shadowrun: Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Might and Magic (all except VI)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Dragon age: Origins
Faery

Strategy
Thea: The awakening
Age of Wonders
Age of Wonders 2
Age of Wonders 3
Heroes of Annhilated Empires
Elven Legacy
Endless legend
Warlords Battlecry
Warlords Battlecry 2
Warlords Battlecry 3
Warcraft 3
Spellforce
Spellforce 2
Spellforce 3
Total Warhammer

1/2
>>
>>51428881
Dungeons of Dredmor is pretty spot on in how most groups actually play TTRPGs.
>>
>>51431952
2/2

strat-cont:
Master of Magic
Warlords 3
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Warlock - Master of the Arcane
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Heroes of Might and Magic 4
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
Dawn of War 1
Dawn of War 2
Dawn of War 3
Warlords 1-4
King's bounty the legend
king's bounty crossworlds
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II

Misc
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: KRYNN SERIES
FORGOTTEN REALMS: THE ARCHIVES - COLLECTION THREE
LEGO: The hobbit
LEGO: The Lord Of The Rings
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
The Fall of The Dungeon Guardians
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
World of Warcraft
Dragons Crown
Warhammer The End Times: Vermintide
Elven Assassin
Warhammer: eternal crusade
Paladins
The Temple of Elemental Evil
dragon age inqvisision
wurm unlimited
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeons & Dragons Online®
Dark age of camelot
Battleborn

not all of these games are good, but muh elves
>>
File: Rockin Red Rampage.jpg (66KB, 256x364px) Image search: [Google]
Rockin Red Rampage.jpg
66KB, 256x364px
>>51429661
Honorable mentions to the Command and Conquer series (Red Alert preferably) Endless Legend, DOOM ( it has a boardgame!), Warhammer Vermintide, Total War:Warhammer, Darkest Dungeon. Some other titles I've forgotten but there are plenty.
>>
>>51429717
fuck off back to /v/ autist
>>
>>51431902
Just play Deus Ex, but if you insist, there is a demo for EYE on Steam. Caveat Emptor though, that game has an obnoxious UI that hardly tells you anything
>>
>>51430461
>>51431750
Bonus points for being loosely based on the creator's own D&D campaign.
>>
I may catch crap for this, but the first Dragon Age. It's good dungeoneering fun.
>>
File: 1375017261206.jpg (1MB, 1050x3022px) Image search: [Google]
1375017261206.jpg
1MB, 1050x3022px
>>51428881
Dominions.
>>
>>51431902
>How's EYE: Divine Cybermancy?
EYE has the same issues System Shock 2 & Deus Ex had - it offers different playstyles on the label but ends up being shooter with arbitrary useless gimmicks bolted on. And the less time you spend on the gimmicks the more enjoyable it will be.
>>
>>51428881

Christ almighty i would kill for good strategy wargame akin to Combat Mission that isn't fucking 60-90$ for a game and has working AI.
>>
>>51428881
The answer is always VTM: Bloodlines.
All other answers suck cock by choice...or are niggers. Whichever you find more offensive.
>>
Tabletop Simulator, obviously.

Your best bets are SWTOR, Morrowind, Planescape, and VtM: Bloodlines. None of these are modern enough to tax even five year old toasters.
>>
King of Dragon Pass

>>51433117
>>51433143
Both of these are excellent as well.
>>
>>51429717
Dark souls is an amazing game and if you own something that runs it, You NEED to play it.

But just cause swords and dragons, does not automatically place it at the top of /tg/-related.
>>
>>51429612
>"What can change the nature of a man?"

This is literally the most /tg/ related game, no other video game compares to the dialogue and overall atmosphere the game is able to generate.

I dread the day they will gut it and remake it.

>Pic related, TNO and an apprentice
>>
>>51434502
This game hasn't aged well as far as the mechanics go, and never was that good once you figured out how things work. It's an example of a game that gets worse the more you play it.

It's really up to a question of whether you like Glorantha or not, and the way the myths are presented in this game are enough to give anyone a bad taste for the setting.
>>
>>51434617
Obviously many of the kind of quirky unique events become a lot less interesting if you see them a second time, and the Glorantha setting while trying to be fresh instead of generic fantasy#349 is kind of flat once you learn about it.

That said, the gameplay and decision making is still very /tg
>>
>>51434531
>be me
>play dark souls
>get stuck in some ghost pier in a cavern
>shut off system
>never play again
>>
Princess Maker 2.
>>
>>51434816
It's pretty railroady, too. Fits perfectly.
>>
>>51434846
But its got so many potential endings that it's hard to call it railroady.

She can end up as either the Queen of Darkness or a Hero or Prostitute or a Housewife or even your wife.
>>
File: forbidden_love_green_mugi.jpg (79KB, 402x564px) Image search: [Google]
forbidden_love_green_mugi.jpg
79KB, 402x564px
>>51434885
>or even your wife.
>>
>ctrl + f "vampire the masquerade bloodlines"
>only 2 hits

You niggers need to develop some taste, other than that Alpha Protocol is also pretty neat if you're ready to stomach some questionable gameplay decisions.
>>
>>51428881
Not 100% /tg/ related, but I would say the Avernum series, or the Geneforge series.
>>
>>51434563
PS:T is the worst of the Infinity Engine games at resembling the TTRPG it's based on. Icewind Dale 1 & 2 are the best.
>>
File: 5154087200_f1a64f6258.jpg (34KB, 250x235px) Image search: [Google]
5154087200_f1a64f6258.jpg
34KB, 250x235px
>>51435140
>>
>>51435225
Is that because you have no familiarity with D&D at all?
>>
File: Mint.gif (2MB, 268x205px) Image search: [Google]
Mint.gif
2MB, 268x205px
>>51434942
>Alpha Protocol
>>
>>51435140
Temple of Elemental Evil my dude.
>>
>>51437193
That's not an Infinity Engine game.
>>
>>51437246
Yep shit, different engine. My bad.
Though I'll stand by it as one of the better mechanical translations of tabletop rules into a videogame.
>>
>>51431952
>Faery
That game was surprisingly alright.
Not one of the better games I've played, but I thought it was going to be worse.
Really, the oddest thing is that I can't remember ever buying it, yet I do. Must have been part of some bundle.
>>
>>51431972
Thanks for not being a huge autistic faggot.

Oh wait...
>>
File: Darklands.jpg (110KB, 620x480px) Image search: [Google]
Darklands.jpg
110KB, 620x480px
>>51428881
There are two choices:
A) Pic-related
B) Being wrong
>>
>>51434729

Dark Souls 2 is a bad place to start the series. Not a bad game, but significantly worse than everything else. I can't blame you for getting turned off by it.
>>
>>51428881
There's a sort of holy trinity in the crpg genre with combat, choice & consequence, and story, where a game can only excel at one of them, or at most be good at two and bad at the third. Some games can be mediocre at all three (such as Baldur's Gate) and some people do remember those games fondly, but I find the best games are the ones that truly shine in one area.

>Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
When it comes to offering actual choice and consequence this game is one of the best. The story and combat system aren't spectacular however.

>Planescape: Torment
If you don't have anything against reading lots of text, even by crpg standards. The combat system is severly lacking, even for its time, but in return there's no, or at least very few (I can't really remember it was ages since I played it last), instances were you *have* to fight something.

>Wizardry
The entire series are some of the best dungeon crawlers around. Part 6-8 also worked as trilogy where you after completing one part could convert your convert to next and the games would even adapt to the choices made in those previous games, and this was years before BioWare tried the same thing with worse results.
>>
>>51428881
Depends.

>Plot/Writing-wise?
Planescape Torment
>Gameplay-wise?
Temple of Elemental Evil or Eye of the Beholder
>Best compilation of D&D Elements implemented into one game to streamline it?
Baldurs Gate 2.
>Best Encounter design?
IWD 1 + 2
>>
>>51428881
Planescape: Torment
EYE: Divine Cybermancy
Dwarf Fortress
Star Wars: KotOR (Also the second one)
Dominions 4
Morrowind
Dragon's Dogma
>>
>>51430461
Holy shit I used to love Warlords Battlecry 3

It was so poorly balanced, but I deeply enjoyed the campaign anyway. All those factions, all those units, all those spells and classes. Damn.
>>
>>51439775
Undead Necromancer still best class

BOOM

instant army of level 30 skeletons, which are now wights, which are now SLAYER KNIGHTS FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>51434563
As good as Torment looks, I only played it for an hour or so before setting it down for good because I absolutely despise the combat system. Same for Dragon Age and KOTOR. "Real-time with pause" makes me nauseous.
>>
File: Blood Dragon Knights.jpg (113KB, 750x640px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Dragon Knights.jpg
113KB, 750x640px
>>51439870
>SLAYER KNIGHTS FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUU
Would this have been like instant summoning Blood Dragon wight knights in old WHFB? Because if so I'm so hard right, now.
>>
>>51434906
Your not related by blood, anon. The MC just raised her.
>>
>>51431719
Pretty sure that's the wild mage added by EE. I'm not quite sure how I feel about her, from what little I've seen she's either pretty good or whoever wrote her tried too hard.

Like all the added NPCs, though, her voice acting is of decidedly lower quality than the original NPCs.
>>
File: 31271.jpg (68KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
31271.jpg
68KB, 736x552px
>>51428881
Rise from the Ashes aka. Mechwarrior with sword and axe

Also, special mentions to:
>Kings Bounty
>Gothic
>Fables
>Heavy Gear
>Starcraft 1
>Stellaris
>Front Mission
>Wasteland 1&2
>Mount and Blade
>Vakilrya Chronicles
>X Universe series
>Diablo 1&2
>Shadowrun RPG series (duh)
>Planescape Torment
>Final Fantasy 1-6
>Freespace 2
>Homeworld series
>Freelancer
>Power DOLLs
>>
Corruption of Champions by Fenoxo
>>
File: 20160320215314_1.jpg (469KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20160320215314_1.jpg
469KB, 1680x1050px
Legend of Heroes.
>>
>>51440430
I've been enjoying Free Cities lately.
>>
File: 20160528213651_1.jpg (564KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20160528213651_1.jpg
564KB, 1680x1050px
Avernum, Geneforge and Avadon series for original settings, rich stories, inventive applications of magic and plots that aren't about saving the world from destruction for fucking once.
>>
File: Everything by the numbers.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Everything by the numbers.webm
3MB, 800x450px
XCOM 2 makes for some fun stories.
>>
>>51428881
King of the Dragon Pass, period.

Forget Torment, it's a meme.
>>
Underrail is pretty good.
>>
>>51440912
Not any more of a meme than KoDP.
>>
Any games with good waifus?
>>
>>51441197
Divinity: Dragon Commander.
>>
>>51428881
Best atmosphere/story goes to Planescape : Torment. It's pretty hard to deny.

Although the one I'm always coming back to is Bg2 : Shadows of Amn. Big quests, big dungeons, a sense of freedom of action but also a sense of purpose. Which is what you should ask of any good TTRPG, I think. Most video rpgs that adopted the "okay, from here you can go wherever you like" formula after this one made me too apathetic to care.Bg2 did that, I think, by installing a sense of urgency in needing money to rescue Imoen (and then your soul). Whereas most successors (even if some were good) adopt the bucket list formula.

Morrowind is the only open sandbox game that made me care enough to finish it. The world was unique enough that I wanted to explore it. I really felt like I was elsewhere while playing this game. I still remember playing it with my sister, and being in awe the first time we entered Ald'ruhn's giant crab.

I also like Darkest Dungeon a lot.
>>
>>51441246
co-signing this. If only the actual game aspect was as good as the waifus.
>>
>>51430173
I was really dissapointed by the world design in ds3, it just feels so branchy, i'm sad that the series never adopted the world design from the first half of DS1
>>
>>51441248
>Morrowind is the only open sandbox game that made me care enough to finish it
Funny, it was the only open sandbox game that made me care enough to never finish its main quest.

I should really do it at some point.
>>
>>51441246
Too bad the actual RTS gameplay was the worst part of the entire game.
>>
>>51430553
>Warframe, to some extent.
I wonder how many people roleplay warframe to a non-cringy extent past the first ranks
>>
>>51441277
Well the world hooked me in well enough that I wanted to see how things went everywhere, including in the main quest. Other sandbox games I got bored of too soon.
>>
>>51434563
Nope, Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale is. Probably Icewind, because you make your own party and the story is not focusing on one character.

Torment wouldn't make a good session, it's too complex, focused on a very specific story and character. Most players would fuck it up. And Torment have fucked up mechanics. It's a great story, but a bad game.
>>
File: Hero_Quest-2.png (23KB, 606x366px) Image search: [Google]
Hero_Quest-2.png
23KB, 606x366px
>no one mentions the computer conversions of Heroquest
It's like you apes don't even know how to tg on a computer. That said, some of the improvements to the game are a bit dubious.

Cast fire of wrath
>you miss
Cast fireball
>you miss
Cast Pass Through Stone
>Your spell fizzles
>>
lichess.org
>>
>>51428881
dwarf fortress
>>
>>51428881
My favorite is the first Neverwinter Nights. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. The original campaign isn't very good, but the expansions are, and then there are the modules the community made. I haven't seen many other RPGs with the same potential for making your own stuff.
>>
>>51439947
In essence, undead necromancer was the perfect zerg rush. They conjure entire top-level armies at-will and are limited entirely by their own mana.
>>
>>51442258
It's been mentioned several times.
>>
>>51443640
>and are limited entirely by their own mana
Not with the unofficial patch.
>>
>>51441246
This. Great game too if you skip all the RTS parts.
>>
>CTRL-F
>alpha centauri

I am fucking disappoint

It is the very best 4X ever made.

>political and social engineering
>dat unit customization
>dem faction differences
>dat pirate master race
>dat terrain alteration
>all of the planetbusters

seriously - best 4X ever, and as a rich and interesting sci-fi setting, very /tg/-related
>>
>>51443665
Only once, actually: >>51431952
>>
File: 1450147865942.png (371KB, 600x833px) Image search: [Google]
1450147865942.png
371KB, 600x833px
>>51428881
>>
>>51428881
Nethack
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>>51441197
Shadowrun Dragonfall
>>
>Ctrl - F
>Dwarf Fortress
>3 Results

You scared me a bit, /tg/.
>>
>>51438792
they're talking about new londo ruins, not the wharf
>>
File: 1445682329_EEEEELVES.png (306KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1445682329_EEEEELVES.png
306KB, 800x800px
>>51444027
Fucking yes!!
I've been playing a shit-ton since that freebie run they had in december. Damn fine coop!
And Hagbane is still aces on Nightmare, it's just more of a crowd Control wep while not being the insta-solution for Stormniggers that the Trueflight is.

>>51445988
Another good candidate! The first game was very true to the canon, but the gameplay was somewhat lacking. Dragonfall nailed basically everything.
>>
>>51446015
we've all forgotten about it while waiting for toady to release the next version
try this again soon after it's out in mid-2019
>>
>>51446145

Dragonfall and 1st mentioned, no mentions for hongkong? Its also quite good desu.
>>
>>51429787
>(after couple modpacks adding assorted /d/-liteful necessities)
That's some good taste right there. Been playing with Devious Devices lately and it's somehow reinvigorated my interest in Skyrim itself.
>>
>>51447387
I've barely played it. Got it from Humble on the cheap last week.
I'm hoping the story will hold up as well as DF did.
>>
>>51438066
Ayyyy

Hard as shit though
>>
>>51446145
>>51445988
Ok, rate the Shadowrun Returns games from best to least best.
>>
>>51428881
To all ya'll that remember...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_(1995_video_game_series)
>>
>>51430404
Levels don't really mean much in the Souls games.
Aslong as you've got decent equipment and know how to roll, you're golden.
>>
>>51434885
>But its got so many potential endings
And most of them require some kind of voodoo to get. The best I ever did was getting her to become a martial arts instructor. Other than that I mostly get wench, housewife or divorcee.
>>
>>51434942
>>51435536
AP is probably my favorite title from Obsidian, the first hint they can make something great instead of just someone else's sequel.

And on that topic NWN1 is probably my favorite cRPG of all time.

Also Mount&Blade. Fuck I cannot wait for Bannerlord.
>>
>>51448997
BANNERLORD WHEN

My friends got me back on a Mountain Blade kick and I can't stop playing it. I neeeeed Bannerlord.
>>
File: tmp_25917-hSgfIwh-413569946.jpg (233KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25917-hSgfIwh-413569946.jpg
233KB, 900x900px
>>51445988
Definitely in the 3x3 for PC games. Would want another run before I bump it up to my overall.

>>51449132
I started a The Last Days (LotR) run but have yet to finish it. Can't wait to see what Bannerlord does with the modder kit.
>>
Anyone going to play For Honor? Or is the fact that vikings, crusaders and samurai are meeting each other blasphemy
>>
>>51435140
You literally wrote this knowing full well you were dead wrong.

Why?
>>
>>51428881

Who are these sluts?
>>
File: 1482981898165.jpg (55KB, 518x549px) Image search: [Google]
1482981898165.jpg
55KB, 518x549px
>>51431902
I didn't enjoy it, but I suppose that's my own fault for not doing research before purchasing. Here's some of the stuff I disliked:

>Never ending large enemy mobs spawning and making a beeline for you, regardless of stealth. It doesn't matter where you are, they know. Always. Cloaking helps, but only briefly.
>Underwhelming PSI powers, which were the reason I wanted the game. Dragon's Breath seemed cool, but I could never get it because of
>>Fatal wounds. Dying can result in permanent stat loss unless you do a metric fuckton of grinding for Bioregeneration 1-5.
>>Having to do a metric fuckton of grinding to unlock almost everything.
>Fuck Mars.

There's other problems with it, but those were the primary ones that lead to me uninstalling it. You can only get smacked off a ledge and automatically get Fatal Wounds so many times before you just say fuck it.
>>
>No one mentioned Dragon Quest 8

The DM just loves puns.
>>
>>51450026
Imoen - that one dark elf woman - can't remember - that chick whose husband dies - that wingless winged elf who starts off kind of endearing but gets super annoying real fast
hope that helps
>>
>>51450026
Imoen
Viconia
Bhaalspawn
Jaheira
Aerie
>>
>>51450676
>can't remember
is probably MC
>>
>>51449951
See >>51441337. PS:T would make a godawful D&D campaign for everybody who isn't the Nameless One.
>>
File: the tton experience.jpg (76KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
the tton experience.jpg
76KB, 960x720px
Speaking of Torment, Torment 2 Numanuma is out next month
>>
Thea : the Awakening

It's a bit like King of Dragon Pass / FTL, but with a civ-style map. You control a single village, but can get villagers to explore the surroundings, and fight slavic monsters, etc.

combat (vs various monsters at locations, etc) is through a card game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378720
>>
>>51450878
I really enjoyed this, but it started to get repetitive long before I'd finished the story and I ended up dropping it. trying to improve everyone's gear felt a little grindy after a while.
I guess I should try it again though
>>
>>51450701

>Stupid Fuck
>Elf Slut
>Donut Steele
>Who Cares
>Best Girl
>>
>>51428881
I wouldn't say it's the best, but Septerra Core is pretty good. Same with Anachronox.
>>
>>51450916

>Stupid Fuck
>Elf Slut
>Donut Steele
>Who Cares
>Brain Damage

fixed
>>
>>51450916
>>51450990
It took them like 12 years to make the best waifu but they did it.
>>
File: MADCAT BEST CAT.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MADCAT BEST CAT.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
I'm surprised no one mentioned Mechwarrior or even Mech Commander yet. Those 2 are even based on the old Battletech Franchise, but focus on the best parts of the setting. BIG STOMPY ROBOTS BLOWING SHIT UP.

Seriously, you should play those (and maybe MWO but not really)
>>
>>51433269
>someone else knows what combat mission is
Glad to see I'm not the only one
>>
File: dominions obelisk.jpg (26KB, 271x300px) Image search: [Google]
dominions obelisk.jpg
26KB, 271x300px
>>51433143
Dominions is good shit.
>>
Not "best", but a good pair of fantasy games on the ps2 were The Mark of Kri and its sequel Rise of the Kasai. Wish it had gotten more games to flesh out its interesting setting.

I think they're available on Playstation Store for ps4 now.
>>
File: D&D Tower of Doom.png (808KB, 564x800px) Image search: [Google]
D&D Tower of Doom.png
808KB, 564x800px
>>51428881
Dungeons and Dragons! Dragons! Dragons!

Welcome to the D&D World!
>>
>>51434298
VtMB absolutely nails character statsheet customization, dialog and setting, but fails severely on level design. The mechanics have the potential to make a game to outshine even Deus Ex, but its level design and approach to enemy encounters isn't open or optiony enough to truly bring out the system strengths and wide playstyle variety that it does such a great job creating groundwork for.

I could start the game over repeatedly as different clans and skillset focuses for ages while losing interest about halfway through every time. I've only completed 1.
>>
>>51428881
Neverwinter nights, too bad it's community is dead.
>>
>>51453193
It took like 10 years to die, that's pretty fucking good.
>>
>>51450772
>Torment: Numanot related in any way shape or form besides asking a question is out next month
FTFY, also doesn't help that it is that shit heap numanuma they decided on just because it also had Monte Cook involved.
>>
File: 1424081493_548003101.png (297KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
1424081493_548003101.png
297KB, 600x337px
the best /tg/ game
>>
>>51453008
>fails severely on level design.
Sounds like Oni.
>we'll get actual architects to help design our levels, that way they'll look like real buildings
>what do you mean real buildings make for boring levels
Actually, that's pretty /tg/-related itself.
>>
>>51429932

Morrowind is a strange but consistent and very immersive game. I highly recommend it.
>>
File: Lohannah (elf).jpg (612KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lohannah (elf).jpg
612KB, 1920x1080px
>>51441246
>>51443746
The dragon mechanic was interesting, but yes; the story/waifu's was top-tier.
>>
>>51433229

>Deus Ex
>ends up being a shooter

what
>>
>>51454090
Basically the best approach is the simplest one
>>
>>51454095

best/simplest lethal approach is the sword, and there is a ton of room for nonlethal
>>
>>51445988
I'm trying to play that at the moment but I dislike almost all of the characters and the team they set you up with railroads you into playing a big damage dealer type.

I couldn't put Returns down but Dragonfall is proving to be a bit of a slog.
>>
File: 1481858560180.jpg (73KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481858560180.jpg
73KB, 640x400px
Deus Ex
BFME1 & 2
Mount & Blade Warband
>>
What would your dream video game look like, /tg/? Setting, system, features...
>>
>>51430553
>Duelist of the Roses
>>
File: 1424359274113.jpg (718KB, 771x2016px) Image search: [Google]
1424359274113.jpg
718KB, 771x2016px
>>51441288
Can a person even roleplay warframe? I mean, as things stand you're a teenage puppeteer, what's to roleplay?
I mean, are the origins of frames even canon anymore? who knows.
>>
Gothic 1 & 2.
Once you get used to controls it's a great ride. God-tier atmosphere and the best example of ,,from zero to hero,, in video games.
>>
File: zoidberg.jpg (597KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
zoidberg.jpg
597KB, 1920x1080px
>>51440912
Definitely King of Dragon Pass.

Do you even Glorantha, /tg/?
>>
>>51428881
Dwarf Fortress, every time.
>>
>>51454445
First/third-person RPG set in a fictive analog to the 1980's, cold war and all. The tweest is that it's a fantasy aspect. A bit like shadowrun, but it's your typical fantasy world that just advanced into the 20th century. Open world and the player is in a huge city. A bit of a GTA-clone with the general gameplay, but since this is a dream game everything is polished as fuck and actually enjoyable (gunplay like in max payne, racing sim level car handling, etc). Open-ended as fuck, several unrelated ways to complete the game with a focus on role-playing. God-tier customization of the PC, cars, weapons and dwellings. A lot of waifus
>>
File: shadowrunner.png (350KB, 982x522px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrunner.png
350KB, 982x522px
>>51445988
>>51447387
>>51448017
Just finished Hong Kong myself. Already played the other two. Anyone know if they are making more?

>>51448603
>Dragonfall takes the top spot for me, edging out its competition with the power of Waifus

>Hong Kong is still amazingly good, especially with the improved matrix portions. I'm a little salty because I didn't sleep enough times to get the best ending.

>Returns is still very very good, but the production team was still figuring out some the engine and it shows sometimes. Not having a permanent team limits the story. I recommend playing this first, so that your experience steadily improves.
>>
>>51453193
It isn't dead. People are still making stuff for it.
>>
>>51449764
Dude I have been invited to multiple Betas and have been playing the shit out of it. It is fun as fuck. Also can't wait for bannerlord
>>
>>51451309
FUCKING YES MECHWARRIORS. I still play Mechwarriors 4 Mercenaries when i get nostalgic. Still one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion. Also how dare no one mention Geneforge? Was i the only person who grew up on those games?
>>
>>51454572
I found the first 2 Gothics so superior to Elder Scrolls it was crazy.

Morrowind and similar feel dead, everything revolves around the player. Gothic felt more alive and less like a standard offline mmo
>>
>>51439612
I second wizardry. The japanese adaptation are nice too (Etrian Odyssey, Busin).
>>
I've played and loved a lot of the games mentioned so far but I think that Serpent in the Staglands is a fairly underrated and overlooked gem. Especially if you enjoy Darklands.

I understand the pixel art isn't for everyone, wasn't for me until I played this, but the setting comes off as genuine and the plot is fairly unique. I also enjoyed that magic was a powerful yet subtle force. The right spell could turn a tough battle into a cakewalk and this goes for your enemies as well. This is while the majority of spells are de/buffs.

All in all I recommend the game and if you buy it you help a couple of nerds continue to do a job that they're passionate about.
>>
File: header.jpg (85KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
85KB, 460x215px
>>51456603
>>
>>51449701
Whats the megaman X pic where it looks like he's on stained glass from?
>>
File: tyranny.jpg (81KB, 750x430px) Image search: [Google]
tyranny.jpg
81KB, 750x430px
>>51428881
How is Tyranny?

Want to buy it since I've got no other games on the go but I've heard its still buggy.
>>
>>51448927
That just implies your own embarrising inadequacy at raising children
>>
File: geralt.png (883KB, 600x904px) Image search: [Google]
geralt.png
883KB, 600x904px
I know it may be pleb but i think The Witcher series has given me a new perspective on Monster Hunting.

Each monster hunting quest has a somewhat deep story, and you have to inspect the "scene" to really discern what kind of monster did it, then consult your bestiary and equip yourself properly to fight it.

Plus roaming the countryside with your mare is absolute bliss.
>>
>>51454481
You roleplay as a teenager pretending he's a cool ninja in his mom's basement.
>>
File: 1379310960533.jpg (242KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1379310960533.jpg
242KB, 1920x1080px
>>51453804
Lohannah after having her hippy Elven-naivety stripped away and turned into a true meat-eating wine-drinking cosmopolitan-diplomat Queen really was best waifu
>>
>>51442258
In my opinion the ability to make custom modules by the players was the best marketing decision in the gaming history.
>>
Tales of Maj'Eyal. Fullstop.
>>
>>51450916
>dissing Imoen, the best waifu in the series
>>
>>51429956
I just looked up this game, and it looks insanely fun for a group of friends.

How often does it update? I noticed Episode 3 just came out recently.
>>
>>51430553
>Total (WAR) Warhammer
>Being below fucking Dota
>>
>>51456964
Skeleton turned into busty paint lady was better.

I also liked the dwarf.
>>
>>51457180
Who you could only romance via that fucked up rapist mod
>>
>>51457109
As well as making the toolset pretty accessible, so more people could use it and there would be a lot of content as a result. NWN2 fucked that up.
>>
>>51434563
KotOR II, with the restoration mod, has similar levels of atmosphere, I think.

Mask of the Betrayer is on par with PST.

If you haven't tried them, do.
>>
File: Mask of the Betrayer.webm (3MB, 700x392px) Image search: [Google]
Mask of the Betrayer.webm
3MB, 700x392px
>>51457786
>Mask of the Betrayer
THIS.
>>
File: motb.jpg (147KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
motb.jpg
147KB, 1280x1024px
>>51458168
Oh wait, wrong pic.
>>
>>51458168
>>51458183
The wall of the Faithless is such a retarded setting concept
>>
>>51458227
No, it's good. Fedoralords in a fantasy setting with literal divine power, demigods and the like can spend a little while contemplating how fucking dumb them were before being adsorbed into a wall and cease being.
>>
>>51458257
Thats not what the wall does ya dumbass.

Plus its evil as shit.
>>
>>51428881
Spec Ops: The Line
>>
File: isthisevenreal.png (260KB, 713x381px) Image search: [Google]
isthisevenreal.png
260KB, 713x381px
>>51458227
>>51458257
>>51458390
>Thats not what the wall does ya dumbass.
>mfw the writers of the newer editions themselves forgot that the Wall of the Faithless had the purpose of keeping the lower planes and the higher planes from simply walking into mord-.. the prime material plane so neither the Blood War nor Celestial Shenanigans can spill over onto Toril.
>>
File: 1377857711841.jpg (286KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1377857711841.jpg
286KB, 1280x720px
>>51458448
It's great but how is it /tg/ related?
>>
>>51458530
It inspires endless arguments with no hope of conclusion?
>>
File: do you feel like a hero yet.jpg (153KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
do you feel like a hero yet.jpg
153KB, 1280x1024px
>>51458530
I view it as a great way to have a campaign curb the tendencies of murderhobos, or to at least show them the consequences of their actions. After all, isn't RPGs about trying to be something you're not?
>>
>>51458448
literally "tfw too intelligent to complete the game"
>>
>>51457569
Please elaborate.
>>
>>51457569
>>51458728
NOOOoooooo
>>
File: ocL8EIJ.png (930KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ocL8EIJ.png
930KB, 1024x768px
>>51458758
Yes!
>>
File: 1414353169917.jpg (108KB, 1198x624px) Image search: [Google]
1414353169917.jpg
108KB, 1198x624px
>>51458974
What kind of a fucked up mind could have come up with this? Seriously.
>>
>>51459067
>Fucked up

Nah. Seems like a good mod. I might have to DL it

Though it would be nice/funny if later there was a chance to apologize, and then you two can become proper lovers. Buuuuut if not I'm ok with this too
>>
File: 1481073407016.jpg (80KB, 480x716px) Image search: [Google]
1481073407016.jpg
80KB, 480x716px
>>51457569
>>51459067
>Sperging out about how FUCKED UP! a simple sex mod is when there is way worse things out there

Normies trying to virtue signal on /tg/ out of all places is the most pathetic thing ever.
>>
>>51459279
>normies
You are one of them.
>>
>>51459301
Falseflag harder
>>
>>51459323
Do you even know what you are saying?
>>
File: Edgee.jpg (202KB, 610x406px) Image search: [Google]
Edgee.jpg
202KB, 610x406px
>>51459279
>there is way worse things out there
...and? That doesn't make this any less fucked up.
>>
>>51459323
That is an exceedingly normie statement
>>
>>51431719
It's CHARNAME.
>>
>>51459529
>N-N-NO U
k
>>
>>51459514
Yes it does. If a silly sex-mod is on a list of fucked up things for you, then that is quite sad.
>>
>>51459579

>still doesn't know what he's saying, or anyone else

k
>>
>>51459607
Enlighten us.
>>
File: Edgehog.jpg (30KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Edgehog.jpg
30KB, 600x600px
>>51459606
Sad? Why sad? It implies that my life is brighter and happier than yours.
>>
File: 0743222564782568797.jpg (52KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
0743222564782568797.jpg
52KB, 554x439px
>>51459625
>one anon is called out as a normie
>Accused anon tells him to 'falseflag harder'
> This isn't a thing, so accuser anon says "Do you even know what you're saying?" implying that accused anon is a normie and is using half-understood cobbled together internet slang
>Third anon (me), agrees that saying 'falseflag harder' is a pretty normie thing to say, recognizing it to be an odd cobbled together attempt at internet slang
>no u! is pulled
> it is pointed out that anon doesn't know wtf is going on
>Is asked to be enlightened
>I type this Autism in response

>>51459704
Cuz there are much more truly sadder, fucked up things out there and if you considered the mod fucked up than one should hope your find other literature, erotic and not, fucked up aswell for it's depictions of such acts.

(Though if you do have a bright and happy life, gj anon)
>>
File: 23626236.jpg (56KB, 350x510px) Image search: [Google]
23626236.jpg
56KB, 350x510px
>>51459704
>Out of all the things that happen in this world
>Out of all the messed up things in fiction
>A fanfic-tier written sex mod is what deserves to be called FUCKED UP the most
>>
File: SmugAnimeGril.jpg (117KB, 492x492px) Image search: [Google]
SmugAnimeGril.jpg
117KB, 492x492px
>>51459760
>This isn't a thing
And you're out.

>Third anon
oh you.

>no u! is pulled
>conveniently forgets he was the first one who pulled a NO U

>>I type this Autism in response
We both agree that you have autism tho.

But please, tell me more how FALSEFLAG is a normie term according to a turboautist like you.
>>
>>51459760
>Cuz there are much more truly sadder, fucked up things out there
>>51459777
>deserves to be called FUCKED UP the most
Sweet baby Jesus, what is wrong with your reading comprehension? I never said there were no things more fucked up than this. Just that it is fucked up.
>>
This was a nice thread until that "normie" >>51459279 showed up.
>>
File: e26.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
e26.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>51459887
Autistanon pls. Are you going to pretend you are a third person now?
>>
>>51459917
>being green as fuck on /tg/
Your life must be not that great. Frankly speaking, it's quite sad.
>>
>>51459837
Because
>Projecting
should've been used instead of a term that means much more in the public sphere than on 4chan.

(Also dude, I never said anyone was a normie, but that 'falseflag' is a normie thing to say)
>>
>speaking about "normies"
Thread full of people seriously thinking 'bout being special snowflakes. Blargh.
>>
>>51459990
B...but anon. Imoen rape is bad and wrong.
>>
>>51460008
Yeah, it definitely is.
>>
>>51459943
>pretending to be from 4chan when you are clearly from le upboat
>Trying this hard to fit it.

Sad!
>>
>>51460016
but...but it's a guud time. how can an guud time be bad n shit?
>>
File: Kung-Pow-fist-mf02.jpg (51KB, 445x531px) Image search: [Google]
Kung-Pow-fist-mf02.jpg
51KB, 445x531px
>>51460008
There should be a new word for Imoen rape... like, badwrong. Or badong! Yes--Imoen rape is badong!
>>
>>51438792
>Not a bad game, but significantly worse than everything else.
I haven't played 3 but I take issue with this statement.

Dark Souls 2 is underrated if anything because of how much people shit on it. There are legitimate complaints, but I think people were too biased due to how buggy it was upon release and the not muh Dark Souls aspect to it.
>>
>>51458257
This isn't about fedoralords. The Wall of the Faithless is D&D's version of "Be a Christian or go to Hell", and it's just as stupid and evil in D&D as it is in the real world.

>>51458508
I don't care how the earlier writers wanted to justify it. I still hate it and don't think they should have ever put it into the setting at all.
>>
>>51459067
Rape fantasies are apparently pretty common. And if you think that mod is bad, wait until you see A Dance With Rogues.
>>
>>51461518
>it's just as stupid and evil in D&D as it is in the real world.

There's blatant evidence of divine powers in D&D. There isn't any in the real world.
>>
>>51459067
>that VN
Full translation when?
>>
>>51453576
I also highly recommend Morrowind! After getting into it, I think it's safe to state that it's about the opposite of Fallout 4 - your ability to roleplay and become immersed in the setting are maximized, due to the great amount of detail and oddness to Vvardenfell; but the combat can be seen as a weak point, even though it's actually pretty good, even with the chance-to-hit mechanic straight from classical and tabletop RPGs. Consider the prominence of rolling to hit mechanics already present in tabletop games, meaning it ultimately isn't a detracting factor from Morrowind whatsoever.

Morrowind has more attention to detail than the other TES games; this can be amplified even further with a few quality mods (Morrowind Rebirth, LGNPC, and such) that introduce great personalities to existing locations. There aren't a lot of mods like that in Skyrim or Oblivion, considering the inflexibility that voiced dialogue introduces.
>>
>>51429661
>sunless sea

Just played it for the first time recently, and it definitely struck me as something /tg/ would like.
>>
The expansions for both Neverwinter Nights games are very good and better than the base campaigns by leaps and bounds.

Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are great, but Mask of the Betrayer is still I think my favorite thing Obsidian has made.

If Wizards weren't pussies and actually let you tear down the Wall of the Faithless it'd have been perfect, as is we just have to settle with knowing it eventually came down in 4e.

I picked up pillars of eternity on sale and while it seems an alright game, it doesn't seem to have that obsidian touch that drew me in to all their other works. The skill system is kinda lame, the mix of vancian casting AND encounter/daily based powers feels awkward, the world building screams trying too hard.

The companions are all kind of boring, too. The only thing I liked so far was after picking up the dwarf ranger girl (who by the way comes from the most retarded fantasy culture I've seen in a long time), her being surprided when you zone out and talk to dead souls and every other party member just goin "oh yeah, you get used to him doing that surprisingly fast" and Eder chiming in with how "it seems to make him happy so we just roll with it" essentially

Everyone being part of a cycle where their souls get broken a little bit each reincarnation and remembering past lives and shit just seems lame as fuck, why the hell would anyone worship the gods when they know their eventual fate is entropic decay and insanity/soul destruction. Seems every fucking magic user alive would seek out lichdom or something ASAP, but people just sort of off handedly remark how fucked the world is
>>
>>51462899
Just adding more thoughts to this, I had more fun playing Dungeon Siege 3 and cared more about the followers and story of that game than I currently am having with Pillars.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be completely fucking astounded if there's anything in PoE that's half as fun or engaging as using Final Rest on Myrkul or shit-talking kelemvor to his face and calling him a coward for keeping the Wall up.
>>
>>51454445
Virtual reality multiplayer Dwarf Fortress adventure mode with skyrim+ better graphics and the same charm DF has.
>>
>>51463030
God I need to get give MotB another chance. The whole graphics engine and animations are terrible but even with that the OC was still a solid game. A shame it didn't pick up as much community support as NWN1 but I figure that had to do somewhat with the engine troubles.

I'm actually trying PoE right now. Haven't dug enough into the setting to be sure how I feel about it but I feel the depth and changes they made to traditional fantasy cliches (I especially love the aunuma) give it some heart and appeal that outshines gameplay, which in all honesty has never been Obsidian's strong suite.
>>
>>51461598
Just because gods exist doesn't make it right for them to treat people that way, especially the so-called good gods.
>>
>>51462899
Sounds like the world is depressing as fuck, which makes it hard to care about saving it. That's not good for an RPG.

I really can't stand when things are that dark. I like my fantasy adventures to be a bit more hopeful and idealistic.

>>51465008
>A shame it didn't pick up as much community support as NWN1 but I figure that had to do somewhat with the engine troubles.
My understanding is that it had a lot to do with the fact that NWN2's toolset is much harder to use than NWN1's. For example, it's much harder to make areas, because terrain isn't constructed with easy-to-use blocks anymore and you basically have to hand-craft it. When you add that to all of NWN2's other myriad annoyances, it's no surprise that it didn't do so well when it came to community content. On the other hand, NWN1 would be nearly perfect if only Bioware hadn't made the serious blunder of not letting you control your whole party. I still love the game despite that, but it was a very bad move.
>>
>>51465257

>On the other hand, NWN1 would be nearly perfect if only Bioware hadn't made the serious blunder of not letting you control your whole party. I still love the game despite that, but it was a very bad move.

Man I'm playing through right now (got it for free during some special) and it really annoys me how little party control you have, especially coming from KOTOR where you have exactly the same amount of control across each party member as you do for the player character. I've got party members charging out to die (you have to talk to them to change tactics, and you can't talk to them in combat so yeah), using random spells that don't help (and inability to use utility spells), and blundering right through flagged traps. This is why I've sort of relegated one to just tanking all the damage and the other to use music buffs.

Also sort of annoying how you only get one party member in the original campaign and first expansion, the three-man party get get in expansion 2 and KOTOR is probably the best for party balance (skill monkey, magic nukes, and melee distraction; though wizards are sorta bullshit since they can do all three roles at once).

Also annoying in the base campaign is that you can't modify your party's gear at all, you sort of just have to hope they get good stuff as they progress. Of course, being able to adjust their gear in the expansions has led me to using them as pack mules, greatly expanding my absurd wealth (over a million fucking gold and counting) and hoarder tendencies. I'm currently carrying an entire inventory page of scrolls because YOU NEVER KNOW MAN, YOU MIGHT RUN OUT OF SPELLS AND NEED THAT MAGIC MISSILE SCROLL.
>>
>Darklands
>Warlords 3: darklords rising
>Avernum series
>Nethergate
>>
File: il_340x270.716936930_pr5z.jpg (39KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.716936930_pr5z.jpg
39KB, 340x270px
>>51456783
No idea, I just found it by doing a Google search. I still like doing a 3x3 every now and then to see how my tastes have changed over the years.

>>51465257
>world is depressing as fuck
idk m8
Dark Souls is pretty dark.
But it also has a theme of revitalizing the world. Even when you're playing in a dying world it's still on you to try and return some faith and light to a populous whose leaders have abandoned them. I guess that also qualifies it for HFY! ?

The toolset definitely wasn't as accessible. I remember they had a "seed" mechanic for objects (trees) to generate a random version every time it is loaded, which at the time with enough could straight up crash a machine, not to mention it was poorly optimized for most things at the time.

I don't mind the lack of party control in NWN1 (iirc originally it was emphasized for you to online co-op with your friends) since the community has done such a good job encouraging a greater emphasis on story and characters. 3.x has its own share of problems but I can just fall back into Darkness over Daggerford and not give a shit because of how engaging a well-crafted module can be. This is especially nice for me as a ForeverDM.
>>
>>51458627

>forcing you to make stupid decisions to progress
>then tries you make you out to be the bad guys

My favorite part was "lolwhitephosphorus" and not letting you continue until you drop it all over what are obviously civilians. I still finished the game but holy shit did I feel like the message was wasted on me.
>>
>>51465912
Not being able to control them tends to make spellcaster companions either useless or too dangerous to use unless you turn off friendly fire.
>>
>>51465008
>>51465257
I think the Watcher curse bullshit is an attempt to recapture the sense of importance and urgency Ma's of the Betrayer had with the Spirit Eater, but it just comes across as forced.

In the first ten minutes of gameplay every single person who is remotely nice to you dies and you find out through plot bullshit that you now can interact with souls and memories of past lives, but that this will eventually drive you insane or turn you into a Dune-style Abomination ruled by past versions of yourself. So off to seek a vaguely described solution and hope you don't go bonkers.

There's no explicit direction given and everyone is super vague about the exact timeline of how fucked you are, you can run around doing side quests for hours and hours and do farmville base building and dungeoneering or just killing bears, the companions supposedly have their own goals but are totally willing to fuck around doing absolute left field shit. A guy who wants a relic buried under your keeps labyrinth will tag along to murder the local government of a place he's never been and infiltrate a cult with you, just cause.

In MotB, you are given an immediate and clear timeframe of how fucked you are through both exposition AND gameplay. You need to feed on spirits or you'll die horribly, but giving in to the spirit eater and feasting makes you become hungrier faster and faster between each feeding. Unlocking Final Rest mostly trivializes the resource mechanic, but it's 1. An optional somewhat hidden ability and 2. Not unlocked right away

Likewise, by the time you become host to the Spirit Eater you're emotionally invested in your character's survival. You are a budding epic level character who has just had his big hero moment slaying the king of shadows, only for everything to go horribly wrong. Your party is dead or scattered, you're trapped in a foreign land and you have no idea what's happened to your friends. Dying with so much unresolved is unthinkable
>>
>>51440853
Holy shit, X actually finished researching that spell? Well, i suppose he had a right to have it by the 3rd remake.
>>
>>51466811
(Cont'd)

Meanwhile in PoE you get this vague curse bullshit thrust upon you starting right at first level, and are expected to freak out and care about this character you've barely played, who now suddenly the game is telling you all this bullshit about your past lives (yeah we get it Torment was a good game Avellone you fucking hack)

In MotB every companion has a deeply personal interest in both you and the Spirit Eater's curse being lifted. Okku is sworn to you after defeating him in battle and is oathbound to curing the Spirit Eater curse from the previous host sparing him.

Kaelyn is continuing Akachi's crusade and trying to bring down the Wall of the Faithless, the place your old buddy (or not) Bishop is trapped as well as where your sorry ass is liable to end up or worse if you die before the curse is lifted. Once you learn the spirit eater IS akachi, it's even more obvious what natural allis you make.

Safiya busts your ass out of magic prison and is a weird magic incarnation of Akachi's lover, whose being trapped in the Wall was the entire catalyst for his crusade and eventual punishment in the first place.

You bust Gann's hag born ass out of jail and basically assume responsibility for his actions, but as he's 1. A spirit shaman and 2. An atheist in a world where gods exist, it's natural to bring him along as you try to bring down the Wall of the Faithless using the power of the Spirit Eater.

In Pillars, I think it's a little dumb that the random fucks you meet are so totally down with risking life and limb for someone they 1. Have no prior knowledge of 2. Have only just met 3. May be doing things completely unrelated or even opposed to their goals

The dwarf chick searching for her village elder's reincarnation? Why the fuck does Eskimo ranger lady help you root through a labyrinth under a 200 year old keep full of monsters when she's given up the past 5 years searching? Why does she help me play politics and assassinate multiple rulers.
>>
Dark Souls, bloodbourn, dark souls 3
>>
Thinking about picking up Torment: Tides of Numenera now that it has a release date. Anyone play the latest early access?
>>
>>51467092
I thought I was the only one who wasn't in love with PoE.
Friends just said it was because I had nostalgia for BG1/2 but I had just played those games for the first time ever 2 years ago, and I really liked them.

What really surprised me was the lack of a ttrpg adaption of the game. I don't particularly want it because the setting doesn't appear to be anything special and I don't like the combat.
>>
File: 1467914644383.png (209KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1467914644383.png
209KB, 510x346px
>>51467092
>>51467946
Just added Durance to my party, but I'm already starting to see the cracks appear in the framework of the game. It's not bad, I'm having a fine time, but the combat feels like you can easily have it fall out of favor forcing you to reload time and again. The stat system seems to encourage an overall balanced build but you'll only get the "best" conversation options if you specialize in some. The dialogue is solid, Eder seems chill, but as stated the idea of being a "Watcher" just seems sort of thrown into the setting at you without prior knowledge of how life/death/souls works in the setting. It reminds me of how in Divinity: Original Sin you're walking around beating up cultists and then get transported to the end of time without any real build-up.

But I know Obsidian can do way better than this. I hear good things about Tyranny, and with PoE2 on the horizon I'm optimistic they'll take feedback and make the sequel stand above the original in the way BG2 does compared to the first. For now my impression is that they just wanted to make Baldur's Gate again and diverted too many resources to a half-assed game system and setting rather than the writing.
>>
>>51468093
Durance is a real high point in the game, as I recall
I never finished it, but I played 70-80% of it, and he was by far the most interesting companion. eder/aloth were fun, and exploring the region between the starting town and the big city was deliciously baldurs gate-ish, but the game didn't have much else to offer that I saw
>>
File: 1479497577777.gif (1MB, 300x165px) Image search: [Google]
1479497577777.gif
1MB, 300x165px
>ctrl+f
>Space marine
>No results

What the fuck is wrong with you guys
>>
>>51456821
Pretty great. It feels very similar to bg, with something hlafway between diablo and tes in terms of the leveling system, an awesome magic system, and a great rp system, as well as a pretty great chargen and setting. Small maps though, but the game still has a good 40 hours wortg of content.
>>
File: 1430678458472.jpg (25KB, 250x205px) Image search: [Google]
1430678458472.jpg
25KB, 250x205px
>>51462595
>Morrowind Rebirth
>good
And it's not even a fucking mod, it's a modpack.
>>
>>51462595
I wouldn't say Morrowind gives you a lot of ability to roleplay. It barely has a dialogue system, and the amount of stuff your character can actually *say* (instead of clicking a hyperlink and getting a Wikipedia entry on something) is smaller than even Fallout 4.
>>
File: maxresdefault(2).jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(2).jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
I'm surprise nobody mention this shit

....Or maybe its just my eyes being busted.
>>
>>51472319
Are they holding hands? Are they married? That would be cute.
>>
>>51465040
In forgotten realms you can blame Jergal and Myrkul, (both evil gods) for the wall. The reason nobody tried to stop them was because it plugged up a hole in reality to the abyss and nine hells which kept that bullshit away from both mortals and the gods/celestials alike. Lastly it's because Ao dislikes gods fucking with each other overmuch, hence why when deities die, he takes out the Banhammer or cosmic rewrite powers and fixes shit.
>>
>>51428881
>no one mentions Eschalon trilogy
>no one mentions The Dark Eye
For real?
>>
>>51472319
Divinity is good. Although, it would be nice if playing a wizard didn't require stealing half of Cyseal in order to fund a basic spell list.
>>
>>51439911
Why not just cheat for maximum gainz and steam roll your opponents? Everything in DA:O and KOTOR games will make up for it
>>
File: 10 Good.png (149KB, 379x555px) Image search: [Google]
10 Good.png
149KB, 379x555px
>>51441246
First game that came to mind. Well done, anon
>>
Obviously VtM: Bloodlines.
>>
File: 000.jpg (104KB, 800x1150px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
104KB, 800x1150px
>>51472319
FIFY
>>
The best Space based RPG is still Star Control 2:Ur-Quan masters

Fight me
>>
>>51454386
>the team they set you up with railroads you into playing a big damage dealer type.

Dude, what? If anything it's the opposite. The game tries to push you to be the face, because the PCs skills are the only ones that matter for dialogues.
>>
>>51468401
Space Marine is pretty good; the only thing holding it back is that it's only fun the first time, like most shooter campaigns.
>>
>no mention of Shadow over Mystara

Welcome to-we-we-we-we-welcome to the D&D world!
>>
Imperium Nova

It's an old game online where you play a noble house a la Game of Thrones but in a Dune like setting against actual other houses. Tons of roleplaying, assassinations, competition over money n shit

If you sign up (which you should, it's so fun) - email the GM and come to Draco Galaxy :)
>>
>>51473046
>the PCs skills are the only ones that matter for dialogues
One thing I'll give NWN2 credit for is that its second expansion actually lets you use other party members' skills to resolve situations.
>>
>>51453008
It was a giant disappointment as a game, but they nailed the atmosphere so well I don't care and I replay it at least once every six months.

I was really looking forward to that MMO, despite all the richly warranted skepticism.
>>
In the same thread as Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity is pretty great. Same devs and writers, it's getting a sequel soon too.
>>
>>51452761
BY THE ABYSS
>>
>>51465912
I think I enjoyed 1 far more than 2 is precisely because I could play it solo and have the whole game be my own personal journey, as opposed to having to constantly micromanage a herd of 4-6 lobotomy patients in a system that has no aggro mechanic.

>>51439911
It worked in DAO because it borrowed so much from modern (read: MMO) design conventions. Being able to pull or separate enemies opened up a whole new spectrum of tactics, and being able to see the AI's response immediately or time your abilities down to a specific second was very useful.

However, for an adaptation of an inherently turn-based system, where entirely too many compromises have already been made at the expense of options, convenience or fun in order to make the adaptation seem faithful, going for faux real-time is just a bad decision.
>>
>>51473460
Too bad that was the only good decision in the entire development process of SoZ. It felt like a very poor fan attempt to rebuild the BG1 campaign, which was then abandoned in favor of a trading minigame no one tested for more than fifteen minutes and a story mode slapped together from whatever assets were left lying around by someone who would rather have been playing HoMMV.

And to rub salt in, they also replaced the awesome MotB menu theme. Because I always want to be reminded I had to buy that garbage expansion in order to use the new content they bundled into it.
>>
>>51429932
Morrowind will change you forever.
>>
File: Sis.jpg (97KB, 610x300px) Image search: [Google]
Sis.jpg
97KB, 610x300px
>obsidian will never let you have the waifus you want
>>
File: 10-lpmotb_ch053_010.jpg (56KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
10-lpmotb_ch053_010.jpg
56KB, 800x600px
>>51475196
>Kaelyn will never whisper to you in her soft, angelic voice that she loves you
Why live ;_;
>>
>>51466561
Exactly my opinion.
The game is a railroad that tries to blame the consequences on you. Might as well blame me for what Sauron did.
>>
>>51472962
No. I think it's awful that you're still right, and SC3 was never made.
>>
My legs are okay.
>>
>>51459777
>worse things exist therefore nothing can be fucked up
you're fucked up.
>>
>>51454861
Anything noteworthy? And any pws worth playing?
>>
>>51480000
>Anything noteworthy?
Kind of hard for me to say. I just got into NWN recently, so what's new to me might be old for everyone else. I do know that the Neverwinter Vault is still doing Custom Content Challenges, which seems like a good indicator that there's still significant interest in the game. It looks like some Italian guy has been posting a lot of modules lately, but they all seem to be in Italian. I've also heard that the Bastard of Kosigan series finally got its later modules translated to English, but I had to give up on that series because it was too buggy. Damn shame, too, because the story was pretty interesting.

>And any pws worth playing?
I've never played any multiplayer, so I'm afraid I can't comment on that.
>>
>>51480941
BoK got more chapters translated? I may need to go finish that, did paladin trillogy ever get its last chapter?
>>
>>51481715
>did paladin trillogy ever get its last chapter?
It doesn't look like it.
Thread posts: 292
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.