[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell of the awesomeness of Hero System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 13

GURPS has a thread. Why not Hero? It's clearly superior or at least roughly equivalent. Do you enjoy?
>>
come on guys hero is one of the classic systems. throw me a bone here
>>
4th was the best edition.
>>
I started with 4th, it was awesome. a universal system but not too complex. however I've some to like 6th. its hefty but can do anything
>>
>>51426027
GURPS is more well known.
>>
>>51426249
But GURPS doesn't stop bullets. Hero 5th do.
>>
>>51426284
A basic set of GURPS is enough to stop most bullets, actually.
>>
>>51426232
Could a first timer handle Hero System? I've been interested in running a cape campaign and it would be my first time as a GM
>>
In theory a first timer could handle Hero. But most of the recent books have been aimed at experienced players. It sucks actually. I love Hero but can't recommend it as your first RPG. If you want to try, or at least read it, make sure you get the Basic Rules. It's only 130 pages and not hard to handle.
>>
The beauty of Hero is that it can handle pretty much any setting and any set of assumptions if done correctly. It exceeds GURPS is flexibility. But the most recent editions (5th and 6th) haven't presented the game in a newbie-friendly way. But if you dive in and preferably have mild autism you WILL be rewarded, I promise you.
>>
>>51426705
>>51426731
Good to know, thanks!

I'd like to run a Golden Age setting about the first wave of masked heroes set during Prohibition. Preferably the PCs will be at lower power levels, but I know at least one of my friends wants to make a speedster.
>>
Well, lower power levels are the best way to start. The Basic Rules will be enough to decide if you like it
>>
File: sg.jpg (7KB, 246x184px) Image search: [Google]
sg.jpg
7KB, 246x184px
Bumping with links to relevant rulebooks and such found in the archive
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hu1a1vr7jsze0//Tabletop%20RPGs#hu1a1vr7jsze0
>>
I use Champions Complete. Less than 300 pages but has everything in it. Most notable stories are just the stars aligning to get a character killed via dice magic.
>>
What's the best level of regeneration for fast healing characters?
What's the visual difference between a 3d6 eye laser and a 7d6 eye laser.
>>
It's love/hate. gem of system, poorly presented...best thing is just PLAY it and the majesty will be revealed...supremely flexible chargen, fun tactical combat
>>
It's one of the only systems I know of where f you don't wanna hit the dude with all 6d6 of your sword attack you CAN reduce your attack to 3d6.
>>
>>51427326
>poorly presented
Seriously. Say what you will about the autism within the pages of GURPS, the books themselves look like RPG books. The books in OP's image must have been designed to look like a high school textbook and a particularly dry one at that.
>>
>>51427715
Just because the book looks nice does not magically make the system better than it actually is. Which is 'meh'
>>
>>51426027
i love hero system.
my problem is that an overwhelming majority of players are spoiled entitled brats who have played WAY too much pathfinder so they have no idea how to do math and get mad at GMs who tell them "no"

but man, if i found some decent humans who didnt suck dick at math i would love to run hero system.
>>
>>51426027
I seriopsuly want to get into this

super hero bump

is it easy to run on roll 20 or maybe even mumble by itself?
>>
>>51426027
Favorite system ever.

People complain about the math involved, but I literally started playing in kindergarten.
>>
>>51427317
Killing or normal?

If that's normal damage is the student between a slightly above average punch and a baseball bat.

Killing is the difference between a barbarian swinging a claymore and an antitank weapon.

Visually it's up to the position how it looks on game. The dice is more a measure of efficacy.
>>
>>51428230
>I cannot into reading comprehension
>>
>>51427715
>Judging a book by it's cover art
I miss the big black book of 5tg Ed. The big blue one of 4th was pretty great to.

Splitting the books into 3 was a bit dumb, imo.

>>51428960
It's about the same as any other game over role 20.

I ran a couple games on myth weavers years back.
>>
>>51429314
Dafuq are you taking about m8
Did you quote the wrong guy?
>>
>>51426818
For ease, I'd suggest Savage Worlds with the Super Powers supplement. Think if GURPS was simplified down to the level of 5e, and still managed to be fun. Also, it has exploding dice.
>>
I picked up a copy of Fantasy Hero a while back but never took the time to play it. Don't you use log functions in this game?
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>51429369
>Suggesting anything other than Hero System for super heroes
>>
>>51429414
Not really. The system uses doublings of force every 5pts because things like the strength of an old lady and Galactus would be really annoying to have to measure on a linear scale.

That mostly just applies to strength.

You won't really run into it much in fantasy.
>>
>>51429369
>Suggesting a system not designed around super heroes over a system designed around super heroes
Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>51426027
Damn I can't describe how much I love hero system.

Played every genre I can think of. Post apocalyptic, hard sci-fi, study sci-fi, super heroes, gritty gunslingers, fantasy, horror etc.
>>
>>51429486
>>51429709

Ok, so Hero system is better at superheroes, but the advantage of Savage Worlds is that it's easier.

You want to run a full on Super Hero campaign that will last for months? Yeah, go HERO system. But you want to run a supers one-shot and half your group doesn't already know the system? You can read Savage Worlds and bust out a character that does exactly what you want in about an hour.

The power isn't that it does it better, it's that it can maintain a solid system that does what you want without being overly crunchy like Gurps, or too Rules-lite like Risus.
>>
>>51429709
Not him, but since people have thier pet systems.

I'd personally recommend Hero System for just about anything. Except maybe Maid or erotic roleplaying.
>>
>>51429761
>is that it's easier.
If I was doing a one shot, I'd just make pregens. I can knock simple characters in minutes.

If you dislike crunch, you could always use fudge/fate.
>>
>>51426027
Not enough stats and derived values for my taste. Could also use more abbreviations.
>>
File: 1484712912778.jpg (103KB, 478x640px) Image search: [Google]
1484712912778.jpg
103KB, 478x640px
>>51429954
>Not sure if serious.
>>
File: herosystem.jpg (154KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
herosystem.jpg
154KB, 768x1024px
>>51430009
How am I supposed to jot anything down on this? It's way too superficial, it barely reflects anything about a character. And writing out skill names or hit location names is just waste of space.
>>
>>51430071
Use Hero designer pleb.

The character sheet in any system is just crunch and physical description with a few social ties. Backstory has little to do with the sheet.
>>
>>51429884
It's not that I dislike crunch. It's that I dislike rules that are either so vague they depend entirely on narrative for game balance, or systems so obsessed with doing performing in such a way that it gets in the way of actually playing, running, and enjoying the game.

As for pregens, I believe that fundamentally defeats the purpose of Player Choice, but that's just gaming philosophy.

Anyway, I was suggesting the system specifically because anon wanted a supers system that was easy to get into, but still fun.
>>
>>51426731
>The beauty of Hero is that it can handle pretty much any setting and any set of assumptions
>if done correctly
>most recent editions haven't presented the game in a newbie-friendly way
>But if you dive in and preferably have mild autism you WILL be rewarded
Dude, I don't know what you're on, but that sounds EXACTLY like GURPS, right down to the newest edition only catering to the most hardcore of their existing audience.
> t. a GURPSfag
>>
>>51426027
>read that as Steven Schlong
>>
File: 65165165.jpg (41KB, 614x748px) Image search: [Google]
65165165.jpg
41KB, 614x748px
>40 posts
>18 posters
>Half the thread are generic comments about "wow, I just love the HERO system, and I love how great it is for running superHERO games, it's just the best
OP confirmed samefaggot
>>
>>51430226
I like hero system for the opposite reason. It may you do anything you want. Every other system I look at seems to constrained.

I never have any problems with rules getting in the way. Although I think that's purely due to system mastery.

>Player Choice
It's a one shot. There's no point getting attached to the character. You're only going to be playing it for a few hours.
>>
>>51430269
Hero is a lot like gurps.
I tend to think of gurps as Hero System light.
>>
In terms of pure flexibility, I don't think there's another system out there that beats HERO. However, I can't seem to find any reasonably priced copies of the basic set online, and I don't like running games off PDFs.
>>
>>51430321
>Being this butt hurt over nothing
Lol
>>
So what's the difference between editions? Are the compatible?
>>
>>51430395
Yeah. With minimal tweaking.
The shifts from 4-5-6 were basically just making the game more balanced by getting rid of stuff that extra savvy players could use to eak more power out of points.

Even at its worst though, it was pretty well balanced. It's a point buy system, so it requires more GM oversight during character creation then a lot of systems.
>>
>>51429364
>Yeah I agree that HERO's presentation is subpar; it looks like a textbook and that probably scared people away.
>It's sort-of similar to GURPS, but GURPS has more players, possibly due to their RPG books looking like RPG books.
>"Just because GURPS looks better doesn't magically make it better duh!"

At no point was I arguing that GURPS was better than HERO, nor was I arguing the retarded position that cover art affects the game's quality, but that Anon seemed to feel I was arguing both those points. I questioned his reading ability.
>>
>>51430071
That's what the back of the sheet is for.
>>
>>51430800
I gotcha.

You're pretty much right. As much as I love Hero System, their marketing is pretty bad. Pretty much everyone I know who's played it loved it. But the number of people who've played it is tiny.
>>
>>51430939
Still, my bad; I could have worded it more clearly both in my initial post and my response post rather than use meme arrows.
>>
How would you stat out a power that works along the line of the mark of Caine? Which functions along the line of "All those who deal damage to me take 7x that damage".
>>
>>51431154
That's pretty easy.
There's a power modifier called Damage Shield. It basically makes who ever hits you (or shoots you if applied to a ranged attack),

I don't know the source material, but I'd probably go with a Ranged Killing attack Advantages: Continuous, No Normal Defense, 0 Endurance Persistent, Damage shield. Limitations: Always on, Not to exceed 7x the damage taken.

It would be a pretty expensive power (costing a major chunk of your character's points), depending on how high you want the damage cap to go.
>>
>>51432069
Which edition did you get?
Or was it just one of the splat books?
>>
File: IMG_20170127_211831.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170127_211831.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
Never played Hero, but I got this book in a collection I bought. Just wanted to say I can't believe how light this book is.
>>
>>51432081
>>51432088
>>
>>51430226
Oh look, it's That Guy.
>>
>>51432033
>It basically makes who ever hits you (or shoots you if applied to a ranged attack),
You left out part of the sentence.
>>
>>51432405
Sorry. got distracted mid post.

>There's a power modifier called Damage Shield. It basically makes who ever hits you (or shoots you if applied to a ranged attack), take damage.

Sort of meant to represent everything from the Human Torch's flame to porcupine spines.

>>51432088
Literally or figuratively light?

Had a Gm that used to bludgeon the players with it whenever they made puns or Monty Python references.
>>
>>51426284
>Hero 5th
> stop bullets

It does not. They tested it on some defective printings.
>>
>>51432858
>tfw your favorite book doesn't provide 3rPD
>>
>>51432887
I'm still sad that they didn't line up ever book they'd printed up to the and see where the bullet stopped.

For reference, I have just about all of 5th ed. Its more than 3 feet thick.
>>
>>51432917
>I have just about all of 5th ed
Nice.
Never really used many of the splat books, since it's all stuff you can do with the core system.

I liked the vehicles though, because I was honestly at a loss for how to stat a tank.
>>
>>51432917
I wonder how would GURPS (3rd or 4th or both) and PF would compare.
>>
>>51433025
I think they've got relatively small core books.

But most systems could stop a bullet, with enough splat books.
>>
>>51433090
Well he said he had all of 5th ed, so obviously the others would get everything too.
>>
>>51433014
Most I bought either on sale or just to support the company. I was making better money back then.

Dark Champions:The Animated Series is probably the worst of them. So much wasted potential.
>>
>>51433339
>The Animated Series
Wot.

I've played dark champions. Is this meant to be a light version of dark champions?
>>
>>51433433
Like Batman: The Animated Series.

But really weak writing and concept work. I was hoping for more of how to run something like TAS, but what I got was a shit knockoff universe.
>>
>>51426027
Started playing HERO in 1983. Never stopped. There is no system that does everything as well as HERO. I have literally thousands of pages of notes, dozens of worlds, countless races and more spells than you can shake a stick at.
>>
>>51433115
Does that include printing things that were only released in PDF?
>>
>>51434604
Don't have any of those...I think. I'll have to check when I get home.
>>
>>51434688
I was referring to GURPS and PF with that.
>>
>>51426027
>GURPS has a thread.

Not a particularly lively one. On average, it takes five+ days to reach its bump limit.
It seems to be more of a token "we're not dead yet! people still play this game!" general than anything else.
>>
>>51434520
Close to the same. Love hero sysrem.

But...I ad to give up my stuff sometime around 4e. A few years ago I got back in to rpg and bought 6e. Now I have most everything for it.

But if I could do over I would have just bought 4e stuff from eBay.
>>
>>51434818
Why not 5th? Closer to 4th than 6th, and it has a lot of the rules cleaned up or added from outlying supplements
>>
Anyone have a link to champions lore books? Kinda wanna read the Book of Destroyer.
>>
>>51434928
4th I think is just more easily picked up. Could just be fond memories of course.
>>
>>51435363
I hear that. Played 3, 4, and 5.

5th is my go-to system for anything. So long as no more than one person at the table doesn't know the system well.
>>
>>51434520
>>51434818
Nice. Been playing for "only" 22 years.

Either of you use Hero Designer? It might be cool to swap character sheets that way, for a bunch of pre-made characters.
>>
>>51435339
I've got some files somewhere. Not sure if destroyer is I've if them.
>>
Damn I've been here 8 years and this is the first HERO thread I've seen. I've played it my whole life but once my IRL group broke up I literally never met anyone who heard of it again.

As far as I'm concerned it's the king of crunchy generic systems. GURPS is alright but I don't like the 10 million splatbooks and special-case rules.

But ignoring the 'generic' aspect... best Superhero game. Period. Nothing else I've tried even comes close.

6th edition getting rid of figured statistics was the right choice, but I like the 5th edition art and book layout a lot more- 6th is just too much information- the Powers don't need to take up that much space imo.

But man... these two are dead on.
>>51427326
>>51427715

It's so easy to play and even teach people to play, but just picking up the system on your own with no prior experience?

Good luck parsing what you need to know and not getting lost in the details...

>>51428960
I ran a superhero game for a bunch of newbies on Roll20 and it was great- just held their hand through character creation. One even made a Variable Power Pool and did fine.
>>
>>51435587
>6th edition getting rid of figured statistics was the right choice
That's my opinion too.
>>
>>51426027
Played Hero from 5th to 6th almost exclusively for a decade before deciding to actually expand my and my group's horizons. I still have a retardedly high powered DBZ campaign that is has been going on since 2009 (we have rotating GMs).

Hero has its appeal and it has its flaws but it deserves greater recognition in the greater RPG community regardless.
>>
>>51435587
6th is so thick because of the thick paper stock, it is loaded with rules examples, and it has years of 5th edition rules clarifications written into it.

I agree with many of the changes though (Decoupled Figured CHAR, Removal of COM, etc). Were you there when they let forum members make propositions and discuss what they want to see in 6th edition?

What is your stance on COM?
>>
>>51436879
I was there. Hell, I survived Cybergames.

COM can go. Its better represented by Perks, Talents or other specific abilities
>>
>>51426027
>GURPS has a thread.
Most of us remain perplexed about this.
>>
>>51436910
I can see you are a man of integrity like me.

Death to pro-COM scum.
>>
>>51426506
First timer to RPGs as a whole?
>>
>>51436964
Not a hardliner. Its also a nice place to throw a leftover point.
>>
>>51434803
>>51436957
Like HERO, GURPS sort of needs veterans to teach newbies (or at least it helps a lot). That's basically why the general exists. There's not a lot to argue about, and most storytimes happen in other threads, so we're a pretty slow general.

There are a few Anons (myself included) that think a permanent persistent general is unnecessary, though. I'd prefer it to go back to how it was with a thread that asks a question about GURPS becoming the general until its 404s. At the same time though, I can understand why some want the general to be a regular thing; you can't grow the community if you don't publicize. You guys should make HERO threads a more regular thing; at the very least, you're making an actual thread that will push a trollthread off page 10. After you start to pick up steam, maybe graduate to a full general?

"Be the change to wish to see on the board"
--Some faggot Anon.
>>
>>51437063
>"Stat Me /hero/"
>>
>>51437063
I'd like to see more hero generals too.

I'm not sure what all would be discussed though. Maybe didn't ideas on how to build or stat weird characters.

Really liked the write up for the worm characters.
>>
>>51426027
meh, ICONS is much better
>>
>>51438802
>ICONS
What?
>>
It's amazing how much ink was spilled on the disappearance of COM in 6th. It's such a small change in the big picture really. Also, I like the change. Now I am free to say that my character is incredibly attractive, for zero points, with the proviso that this will have no effect on gameplay. Or I can buy Striking Appearance, and have an effect. Striking Appearance is more flexible than COM, too - it can be Striking in multiple ways not just degrees of "good looking". I can have "Striking Appearance - only affects X group who dig that look" if I want.
>>
>>51426506
I could do it when I was 8
>>
>>51429784
>I'd personally recommend Hero System for just about anything. Except maybe Maid or erotic roleplaying.

>Not wanting to use a Variable Power Pool for your arsenal of sex moves

Get the fuck outta here, ya jabroni!
>>
Hero does look very cool...though I must admit, it does intimidate me a decent bit. Mostly due to the lack of PLs like M&M has (And even that game needs a GM paying good attention). It leaves me very worried about making a character that's got capabilities outside the other PCs as I spent too much or too little on combat.

As you can sorta tell, I'm kinda a newbie to this. My first attempt at a character for it was a Witch with a spellbook containing a heap of spells...but she didn't know where all of them were due to it's nigh-infinite size and was rookie enough to not have anything but some basic protection/flight spells memorised. I think I might have jumped the gun with versatility and thus I ended up with choice paralysis.
>>
>>51439644

>Striking Looks: Only affects other trolls.

You are an epitome of trollish handsomeness. It makes humans scream and run for some reason though.
>>
Anyone have a download for hero designer?
>>
I've always heard that HERO is basically GURPS if all the memes about math/complexity were true. Is it really that bad? I've got the core books and I've got to say it does look a little intimidating as far as complexity goes
>>
>>51441293
The advantage of HERO is that it has 30+ years of balancing behind it. Very few abilities are unbalancing (those that might be are tagged). There can be a lack of balance, but that's generally due to one person having an ability that no one has a counter for.

Invisible Bricks (aka Hulk) are nightmares if no one has any senses to deal with them. And there a lot of non-visual senses.

Building total invisibility is really expensive and will make the character weak in all other areas.

Variable Power Pool (create new powers on the fly) is a horror show to plan for, but is expensive as all hell and one of those things that the GM could quickly veto on the grounds that a player is not conversant enough in the system to use it without bogging down play.
>>
>>51442684
ALL FUCKING LIES!!!

Can you add? Subtract? Can you multiply by 1.5? 1.75? Can you divide by 1.25? or 2.5?

Basic fucking math.

HERO looks intimidating due to its size and attention to detail.

Its actually a simple system. Just realize that powers are not defined by how they do something but what mechanical rules they use to do it.

Example-Ranged Killing Attack

Player A has one that does 2d6 and is armour piercing.

Player B also has one that does 2d6 and is armour piercing.

Player A uses arrows that are magic

Player B has a laser

GM then points out that Player A's attack works agains Physical Defence and B's against Energy Defence.

At some point Player A could tie a message to an arrow and shoot it through a window. Player B could start fires. Both of these are at the GM's discretion.

The important thing is that when a target takes a hit, the players are both rolling the exact same dice.

The arrow/laser bit is what's referred to as Special Effects.

You don't buy a fireball in HERO, you buy a damage value and slap explosion on it and call it a fireball.
>>
Does anyone know where to buy volume 1 6th edition at a price below $100/£100?
>>
>>51442931
>Can you add? Subtract? Can you multiply by 1.5? 1.75? Can you divide by 1.25? or 2.5?
Helps that powers tend to come in convenient 5pt chunks.
>>
>>51443594
The hero games website has book+PDF for 30. The only books you really need to start are character creation and the combat & adventuring books.
>>
>>51442274
seconding this. Seems like the sort of system that would benefit from a GCA-lke program
>>
>>51443947

I've looked through the website and it doesn't look like they've got volume 1: Character Creation in stock, at least the book version, which is what I'm after.
>>
>>51437063
>Like HERO, GURPS sort of needs veterans to teach newbies (or at least it helps a lot). That's basically why the general exists.
But there are plenty of games that don't require this.

Wouldn't that make them objectively better games?
>>
>>51444797
No. It means that they are streamlined and simplified for the new player.
>>
>>51445215
Okay, so objectively better games. I mean assuming the goal is to get people to play games.
>>
>>51426284
You can in fact parry bullets in GURPS basic set.
>>
>>51445273
My point stands. Being easy to get into does not make it better.

Candyland is an easy game to learn. I would not choose to play it.
>>
>>51445363
Okay, so Candyland is a better game than GURPS or HERO.

Got it.
>>
>>51445462
Can you even read?
>>
>>51442274
Yeah. Not sure how I feel about uploading it. Hero games is a pretty small company.

>>51444772
It was there when I looked earlier.

>>51445526
Lol ignore him. It's just a troll.
>>
There any premade characters?
>>
File: hitlocs.gif (49KB, 387x791px) Image search: [Google]
hitlocs.gif
49KB, 387x791px
>>51447482
I've got a bunch saved on my Google drive. But they're all hdc docs instead of PDF or something I can share easily.

I might upload some when I get home.
>>
File: Angry Cop.png (635KB, 668x1101px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Cop.png
635KB, 668x1101px
>>51447482
>>51447627
I've got some character and npc pics from the last campaign I cutie throw up if you like.
>>
So gurps vs hero, what're the pros and cons? They seem pretty similar. What are the strengths of each?
>>
Anyone have those Worm character conversions?
>>
>>51447886
GURPS is a metasystem. Each genre you run will have different rules adjustments to make them work. Characters will not be compatible HERO is a universal system. Characters from different genres will be almost completely compatible.

Also, HERO vehicles are not nightmares to build
>>
>>51442684
HERO's math is fucking simple close to GURPS' math
>>
Merry Trumpmas, boys

http://www.4shared.com/folder/zqTRNC8M/Hero_Shit.html
>>
>>51448256
Not really true. GURPS characters from different genres are highly compatible, especially since the genre assumptions can be built into the characters themselves via Perks. I've run many mashup games and there's really zero work involved throwing characters from vastly different settings together.

GURPS also lets gear+powers flow together virtually seamlessly, as opposed to choosing one assumption or another for a given campaign.

The vehicles thing, it really depends on how you're building them. Generally they're pretty easy to do though, particularly if you're just building them as characters or even just using real world figures and parsing them into GURPS statlines.

>>51448265
GURPS math is pretty much equivalent to HERO math. Assuming you aren't using the 3rd ed. vehicle rules or the Deadly Spring, but those are pretty (very) niche especially nowadays.

>>51447886
HERO scales better, especially at the high end. GURPS is much better at "real world" assumptions by default, and has to be bent increasingly the further you get away from those assumptions. HERO works better at the "superpower" scale by default, and struggles with certain granularity levels that GURPS excels at.
Generally speaking, both systems are of comparative complexity levels and can handle a HUGE array of campaign types and settings; in my experience, their primary differences are where their granularity levels are set and where their "default" power assumptions are calibrated. Beyond that, their scaling is different, and as I mentioned earlier HERO scales better towards the upper levels much better and less fiddly than GURPS.

P.S. HERO and GURPS are like brothers. Let's all be friends, not enemies. Us generic systems gotta stick together, ya know.
>>
>>51449005
> GURPS and HERO as Bros
Here here.
>>
Is there like a guide for beginners or a HERO for dummies or something? It all just seems like a lot
>>
>>51449480
There was a "HERO in 2 Pages" PDF created years ago. It was 5e but the mechanical differences between 5e and 6e are almost negligible. I'll see if I have it somewhere.
>>
>>51449480
Ah, looks like they have it right at home.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/files/file/68-hero-in-2-pages/
>>
>>51426232
> can do anything
No system can truly do anything. Every system's mechanics drive them towards a particular style of gameplay and therefore emergent story from the mechanics. Hero does superheroes in a Hero way (Champions). Hero does science fiction in a Hero way. It does fantasy, pulp, action, westerns, cyberpunk, etc all in a Hero way. When one uses Hero for what it's good at them good games happen. When using Hero for what Hero is not good at, fitting a square peg in a circular hole, you get weird, dissatisfactory games.

Hero gives you the tools to build almost anything but not everything is worth building. The more realistic you go the more irreducibly complex you become and Hero breaks down and you should switch to GURPS. That said I sometimes think to myself about what kind of game system could be crafted that virtually combines Hero and GURPS. It's like GURPS on the realistic side of things but more like Hero as things become more cinematic, more outlandish. And somewhere in the middle it is effectively a true hybrid of the two.
>>
File: girls-laughing.jpg (55KB, 553x496px) Image search: [Google]
girls-laughing.jpg
55KB, 553x496px
>>51429486
>he doesn't know Marvel Super Heroes
>>
>>51434803
because generals are cancer for anything that isn't D&D and 40K. no other game needs containment threads
>>
So HERO can handle super high power?
>>
>>51455647
I run a DBZ campaign with (currently) minor planet busters.
>>
>>51455647
CAN it? does it extremely well ... Galactic-level Champions have been a thing for a long time
>>
File: KEEP on TALKING.jpg (939KB, 2447x1714px) Image search: [Google]
KEEP on TALKING.jpg
939KB, 2447x1714px
>>51426705
>In theory a first timer could handle Hero. But most of the recent books have been aimed at experienced players. It sucks actually. I love Hero but can't recommend it as your first RPG. If you want to try, or at least read it, make sure you get the Basic Rules. It's only 130 pages and not hard to handle.

The first persons that email me get to be in my virginal Game Session

[email protected]

Will provide you with:

Full sketch rendition of YOUR character in my style
Your crew gets to play as long as it wants to keep going
I'm available any day of the week, nights too.
>>
Here's the only question I'm interested in having an answer to.

Compared to Mutants and Masterminds, does Hero System do a JoJo style game better or worse?
>>
>>51459636

I know I shouldn't really answer this as I don't have much experience with Mutants and Masterminds but I'm fairly confident that Hero would do a good JoJo game.

Also, does anyone have the Monster Hunters International RPG?
>>
>>51459636
M&M is better. It's more flexible in the middle of gameplay. It's use of Conditions over traditional health is a plus too.

Hero could build just about any Stand ability better than M&M but Hero is more tactical when you get down to combat. Hero also does not really grant any way to pull things out of your ass which is a major JoJo trope.

I will say this though: a flurry of punches from Star Platinum will feel more satisfying in Hero than in M&M.
>>
>>51462308
Actually come to think of it, HERO and M&M are well suited to Part 3 JoJo because the Stands are less complex. Venture any further and Stands get too complex as do the nature of the battles.
>>
What do you HERO players think of the attempt to crossbreed it with Interlock (Fuzion)?
>>
>>51462602
Viable as a lower powered game, but the universe was everything that was wrong with 90's comics.
>>
>>51447482

Look here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/
>>
I've heard that HERO doesn't work too well at low power levels. Is that true? And if so, what's the threshold into poor functioning?
>>
Could I run RIFTS well in this?
>>
>>51464409
Yes. I run a Rifts Hero campaign. Good fun. My recommendation is to treat Rifts PCs like superheroes for character creation purposes.
>>
>>51464223
Yes. Use GURPS the more "low powered" and "realistic" you scale your game. Hero is better the more "cinematic" you want your game to be up to and including superhero levels of power. They sort of meet in the middle though.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.